PDA

View Full Version : Important Information Regarding Character Slots

Tolero
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
As a special thanks to our players, we're pleased to announce that for Module 8, we are increasing the total number of character slots available to players from 9 to 10! Additionally, players will no longer need to “unlock” character slots – all players will start the game with 10 character slots provided. Players will still need to use the Favor system in order to have access to the Drow race and the 32 point character build choices to use with their 10 slots.

Please be advised that any player with more characters than 10 from server merges, character transfers, etc. will need to delete down to the 10th slot in order to make a new character if they so desire. If you have more than 10 characters, we will not remove these excess characters, but you won't be able to create a new character, as you've already consumed 10 slots with the excess characters.

Using Premium Services, players are able to transfer characters onto a server even if they have 10 characters already - the transferred characters will be added to the total number of characters. However, if a player transfers a character from another server using our Premium Service feature to a server on which the player has less than 10 characters, it will consume one of their 10 provided character slots.

We'd like to thank all our players for playing Dungeons & Dragons Online, and look forward to the excitement of Module 8!

Borror0
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Using Premium Services, players are able to transfer characters onto a server even if they have 10 characters already - the transferred characters will be added to the total number of characters. However, if a player transfers a character from another server using our Premium Service feature to a server on which the player has less than 10 characters, it will consume one of their 10 provided character slots.

Interesting workaround.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
very good news

Impaqt
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Interesting workaround.

Yes, It is effectly a way to Buy extra Character slots.... Just better be sure your gonna keep the character in question.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Those victims of the server merge still lose.

No new characters slots and , more importantly no way to reroll ONE character
without deleting MULTIPLE Characters.

Boooo

Reverand
09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
One slot, is a great start! At least i now i don't have to delete to start that new build, i just have to wait. Thanks Turbine.

Any chance we can get another slot with mod 9? /winkwink

SniptheShadow
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Woo-hoo!!!

C'mon Mod 8!

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock

Waiting - biting fingernails - looking at calendar - biting nails - waiting - pacing

Snip

Borror0
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Yes, It is effectly a way to Buy extra Character slots.... Just better be sure your gonna keep the character in question.

Yeah, it's troublesome to get the first one, as you have to transfer a 1750 favor character to that server (or grind it on that server) but overall it is good news.

ArkoHighStar
Woo-hoo!!!

C'mon Mod 8!

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock

Waiting - biting fingernails - looking at calendar - biting nails - waiting - pacing

Snip

This might make you happy

Updates to Risia are on the horizon. Watch for the announcements to get your chance to preview Module 8!

Strakeln
One slot, is a great start! At least i now i don't have to delete to start that new build, i just have to wait. Thanks Turbine.A "great start" would have been several months ago. At this point in the game, adding one character slot is downright insulting.

Of course, by this point, I'm tickled pink that they even took the time to let us know... :mad:

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
A "great start" would have been several months ago. At this point in the game, adding one character slot is downright insulting.

Of course, by this point, I'm tickled pink that they even took the time to let us know... :mad:

I imagine there was some kind of technical hurdle that had to be overcome. Looks like it is gone, and hopefully they built the fix to allow further expansion past the standard of 10. given that they bumped everyone to 10 it looks like they were having issues getting the add new slot slot at given point function to work properly, so they just trashed it and went with 10 for everyone, regardless of favor

totmacher
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
wait so you're saying as long as we paid for it, we could have like 10 toons + 1000000 stash toons from other servers? just on the extreme end since 1000000 x character_transfer_price would be the cost

totmacher
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
now I'm tempted to go get 32 point on ghallanda or something and then create my "new toons" there just to pay for a transfer. tolero, would this be legit?

binnsr
09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
now I'm tempted to go get 32 point on ghallanda or something and then create my "new toons" there just to pay for a transfer. tolero, would this be legit?

xfer one of your current 32-ptrs to Ghallanda, then make the new ones there and xfer them back over .. :D

Kind of costly, but it would work.

For me, this means +3 characters on my primary server! :) since I broke down and picked up a second account this summer and have managed to fill all of those slots up with little drow and 28-pointers..

SniptheShadow
09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
This might make you happy

Yeah, my bad.

I have the benefit here of being a casual playing newbie.

I haven't even got my main, my level 12 rogue to 1750 favor yet much less maxed out many characters like lots of players here.

So once again - my bad.

But more is better, right?

Zenako
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
based on what was said...you got the coin, you got the slots...

Angelus_dead
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Yes, they should have taken a count of customers with active characters on multiple servers before the server merge was announced, and issued those people some free transfer coupons so they could shuffle characters around instead of being stuck over the limit. (Thus, a person with 9 characters each on Riedra and Aundair could have moved them to Argonessen and Khyber, instead of all of them being forced to Khyber)

Riddikulus
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Interesting workaround.I dont think it means what you think it will mean. You will probably have to delete two to create another in that case.

Talon_Moonshadow
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Interesting workaround.

Been that way for awhile. Since the server merge and the introduction of char transfers.

Ringos
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Cool.

Stanley_Nicholas
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Took long enough.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, they should have taken a count of customers with active characters on multiple servers before the server merge was announced, and issued those people some free transfer coupons so they could shuffle characters around instead of being stuck over the limit. (Thus, a person with 9 characters each on Riedra and Aundair could have moved them to Argonessen and Khyber, instead of all of them being forced to Khyber)

When THEY decided to merge the servers, they should have changed the slot limit then.
Being told you now have X amount of characters, but you can't reroll is pitiful.

They dropped the ball.
The customer should have been able to either choose which server the merged characters went to, or had
the slot max increased to allow them to reroll.
This whole thing was handled poorly by Turbine and now it is the customer that suffers.

Gunga
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Boooo

Garbage. Be appreciative you grumpy bastards.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I dont think it means what you think it will mean. You will probably have to delete two to create another in that case.

no it will cost you but you could have unlimited characters on one server. Just transfer a 1750 character to another server, get 32 point builds and then create on the new server and transfer to old server, you can add as many as you can afford. Or create a 28pt build and get to 1750 favor on the other server to unlock 32point to save the initial transfer fee.

Talon_Moonshadow
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
After the server merge, I cleared up slots on my home server by transfering a couple chars to another server.

I also was able to clear up some bank space at the same time. :rolleyes:

funny though, that I now play more on the new server and once again have too many chars and cannot create more.

But according to their rules for char transfer, I could create a new char on another server and pay to have him sent to another server even though I had too many chars there already.

But I would not be able to create a new char on that server until I deleted enough to have a free slot.

And unless you have drow or 32 pt unlocked on another server you would only be able to create new 28 pt chars.

I bought a second account to allow my daughter to play with me and to give me more slots if needed.

Borror0
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM

They could still do it now. Just some way of contacting players with 9+ character on one account and offering them to transfer them somwhere else for free.

darthmaul121783
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
this is cool i can't wait for mod 8

Angelus_dead
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
They could still do it now. Just some way of contacting players with 9+ character on one account and offering them to transfer them somwhere else for free.
Not exactly. If they look at just the current number of characters people have, that won't tell them if the characters were created before or after the server merge was announced.

They may as well be generous and give free transfers regardless, but some customers would be upset at seeing that happen, because they view intentionally creating more characters in advance of the merge to be cheating.

The_Ick
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I for one think this a good start. Does it solve every possible problem out there, of course not. Does it show that they are listening to the customers, absolutely.

Yes there are some people that had ligit toons on other servers before the merge, but there are a lot more people who tried to take advantage of the situation and made a bunch of low levels toons the week before the merger. I think this solution is the most fair to the most people.

Being as this is an MMO and things have to change, solutions cannot solve everyone's problem.

Shaamis
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
OMGOMGOMG!

Finally!

I also hope new character options come out (races/classes, etc) come out!

How about premium service: extra character slots now!?!

Prime time to do that!

Sign me up

09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
If I reach 1750 favor with one character and transfer him to another servor, does that mean I can access both the drow and 32 point buy?

DagazUlf
09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Ninja
Post!

???

Riddikulus
09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I think this solution is the most fair to the most people.Fair only if you bought into the loss of almost two thirds of your available slots in the first place. IMO we should have about twenty slots per remaining server.

Lithic
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Not exactly. If they look at just the current number of characters people have, that won't tell them if the characters were created before or after the server merge was announced.

They may as well be generous and give free transfers regardless, but some customers would be upset at seeing that happen, because they view intentionally creating more characters in advance of the merge to be cheating.

Not to mention the ones who have already paid to transfer excess characters would feel cheated if everyone was given free move tokens.

Borror0
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Cheating as in having more characters on more server, I can see that.

But I don't get the problematic here. Say I had created a few characters on Xoriat following the announcement of the server merge. Xoriat and Tharashk then get merged with Thelanis back in August of last year. What illegal advantage would I have over anyone if they would transfer that character to another server?

EDIT: Lithic, that's a better point.. but either way, someone is going to be unhappy.

Naso24
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
This is a good thing, but I don't think adding 1 slot is enough. It is artificially set to support people paying for multiple accounts or workaround transfers. It is obviously not a technical limitation, since I had 13 characters on one account after the merge.

Why just 10? Is 12 not a nicer number? If you are going through the trouble to change things, why not make the player base really happy? go 12 . This will actually help the game and subscriptions by opening up additional slots, encouraging more build experiments and populating the low - mid level quests.

If it is a matter of server storage / economics, set the number to unlimited and charge $1 per month per character above 10 in the monthly subscription (exempt those already over the 10 cap).

Bronko
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank you Toledro. The players have been asking for this extra slot for some time now and we appreciate our concerns being addressed.

ShaeNightbird
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you. :)

Wizzly_Bear
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Grosbeak07
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
[quote=Naso24;1855994]

Why just 10? Is 12 not a nicer number? [quote]

Because Turbine is a big believer in the Metric System. :D

Gunga
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Honestly, Bor, I can't imagine that everyone who still has 10 toons from the server mergers still actually believes that they all have 10 perfect builds. Now is a good time to take out the garbage. Just don't build a Monk with your new slot. Yet.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Sadly, this will probably solidify me leaving. I've played this game too long to consider $29.95 to transfer a 28 pnt build to my home server a fair compromise. Thanks for nothing.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Honestly, Bor, I can't imagine that everyone who still has 10 toons from the server mergers still actually believes that they all have 10 perfect builds. Now is a good time to take out the garbage. Just don't build a Monk with your new slot. Yet.

The problem is that after the merge, if you had ONE toon you didn't like, you couldn't reroll it.
You'd have to delte it AND one or more that you were happy with to reroll it.
It wasn't our choice to merge the servers, or even which servers got merged, but now we have to
live with their errors.

They need to change the max to current capacity. Let us delete one toon to create one toon.
If the server can handle player X having 13 characters now, there's no reason for him not to be
able to reroll one and still have 13 characters. There is no additional stress by the number staying the same.

Once again Turbine has slapped the face of it's player base.

Zenako
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM

But a fair number of people create Characters, not Builds. A character is what it is, good points, bad points, perks and flaws. For those people just rerolling is akin to just killing a PnP character since you no longer feel it is "optimized". Those with characters probably do not very readily reroll. Those with Builds/toons reroll at the drop of a hat, since they get their enjoyment that aspect of the game.

Borror0
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Imperfect does not equal boring to play, Gunga.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Sadly, this will probably solidify me leaving. I've played this game too long to consider $29.95 to transfer a 28 pnt build to my home server a fair compromise. Thanks for nothing.

What exactly were you asking for, we asked for another slot that is what we are getting. In fact you will have 10 slots on all servers. can you honestly tell me that you constantly play more than 10 characters on one server?

Gunga
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Imperfect does not equal boring to play, Gunga.

OMG you bor me. This whole thread stinks of people getting what they asked for and now wanting more.

I say thanks, Turbine.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
But a fair number of people create Characters, not Builds. A character is what it is, good points, bad points, perks and flaws. For those people just rerolling is akin to just killing a PnP character since you no longer feel it is "optimized". Those with characters probably do not very readily reroll. Those with Builds/toons reroll at the drop of a hat, since they get their enjoyment that aspect of the game.

That's a good point too.
The only one that ever said a character had to be perfect to be enjoyable,
is the power gamer. I have a bunch of toons that are far from perfect.
My main is a 28 point Sorc, who had a base Dex of 16 at creation, because coming from
a PnP background I actually thought AC might mean something LMAO boy was I wrong!
But I still enjoy running him, even though he is far from the perfect build.

Zenako
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
The problem is that after the merge, if you had ONE toon you didn't like, you couldn't reroll it.
It wasn't our choice to merge the servers, or even which servers got merged, but now we have to
live with their errors.

They need to change the max to current capacity. Let us delete one toon to create one toon.
If the server can handle player X having 13 characters now, there's no reason for him not to be
able to reroll one and still have 13 characters. There is no additional stress by the number staying the same.

That sounds like a good solution. Those over the cap, can only create something new by deleting an existing character. The same total slots on the server as will exist anyway.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
live with their errors.

Once again Turbine has slapped the face of it's player base.

yes but that goes both ways some people just created characters on other servers so they could get above the cap, others did not, others have deleted the extra chars they created. Some started palying after the merge so they get max 9, so should they be punished because their max is 9.

Borror0
09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
This whole thread stinks of people getting what they asked for and now wanting more.

I say thanks, Turbine.

Agreed.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
What exactly were you asking for, we asked for another slot that is what we are getting. In fact you will have 10 slots on all servers. can you honestly tell me that you constantly play more than 10 characters on one server?

Yes, I 100% do, ask anyone on Ghallanda that knows me. I have 10 characters right now, two get off timer for hound tonight, the rest are on timer. Four are on timer for reaver, two for shroud (a different two). None for VOD because I worked a bit the past three days but will hopefully be curing it tonight. I help out guildies all the time - and grab the toon that best fits the quest they need help on. Do I play every character 10 hours every week? No. Do I play every character I have at least 1 hour every week? Absolutely. That's what keeps the game fresh for me, always playing it from the different perspective of a different build.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM

YES, Yes I can.
I have 2 accounts. Both Full.
I have characters of all level ranges and I'm able to help any Guildy with any level they are looking for.
I'd hate to delete even One of them.

Unfortunately on one account I'd have to delete 5 or 6 to make just ONE new character.
And BTW I have no interest in playing on any other server.
My friends and Guild are on Khyber, I tried some of the other servers, but found a home here
and I'm not moving just to make a new character.

If the server can handle one account having 15 characters now, there's no reason I shouldn't be able
to delete one and make a new on and stick with the same number of characters.

Some of us aren't really asking for an additional slot. We just would like to be able to reroll ONE character without
deleting Multiple.

Drider
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Well get another account then if you want more characters on the same server.

Allistair
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Already have 2.
Plus $30 a month for a game is plenty
I'm not grinding another to 1750 favor, even if it was FREE.

Zenako
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM

However each ACCOUNT has to achieve the favor totals to get to build the full range of character builds many want to explore.

And a number of us already have multiple accounts...

Deathseeker
09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

I still don't understand why, if you love playing all your toons so much you can't possibly think of deleting one, instead you think leaving the game and not playing any is a better option.

I understand why people want more slots, and are frustrated when they feel limited to 9 (or 10)...I get that. But why you'd leave the game over it is just silly...

Look at it this way...if you decide to leave, you can delete all your toons since you won't be playing them anymore. And VOILA, you now have 10 new character slots that are empty, so you can then come back!

Sheesh....

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I still don't understand why, if you love playing all your toons so much you can't possibly think of deleting one, instead you think leaving the game and not playing any is a better option.

I understand why people want more slots, and are frustrated when they feel limited to 9 (or 10)...I get that. But why you'd leave the game over it is just silly...

Look at it this way...if you decide to leave, you can delete all your toons since you won't be playing them anymore. And VOILA, you now have 10 new character slots that are empty, so you can then come back!

Sheesh....

Honestly, it's the principle of it, at least for me. I don't think Turbine is acknowledging what makes this game great - endless build opportunities and integrated voicechat that builds relationships (ie why I don't want to switch servers). I'm not giving up on the game yet; but this is like a slap in the face for many of us. Step in the right direction? It would have been a step in the right direction when monks were released. Now, to only give 1 slot, is a slap in the face. This has been detailed and discussed to death by many of us that feel this way in many other threads over the past 3 months. If you need a recap let me know.

Laith
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
a slap in the face for many of us.i'll never understand why "a slap in the face" is so often used in response to being given something in an MMO.

Drider
09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
i'll never understand why "a slap in the face" is so often used in response to being given something in an MMO.

Especially stuff that they don't necessarily have to give us in the first place.
It's like a bunch of little kids in here.. "Me want more now Mommy!" "If you don't give me, I'm gonna kick and scream!"

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 01:45 PM
i'll never understand why "a slap in the face" is so often used in response to being given something in an MMO.

When it is too little too late, it's kind of like, they know something is a problem, but instead of addressing it in a way that will meaningfully make their entire playerbase happy, they throw a penny at us an tell us to feed ourselves with it. That analogy might only make sense to me :D so poke fun at your hearts desire!

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Especially stuff that they don't necessarily have to give us in the first place.
It's like a bunch of little kids in here.. "Me want more now Mommy!" "If you don't give me, I'm gonna kick and scream!"

Forums are for feedback dude. This has been my largest concern with this game for a year and a half now. Make fun all you want - but beyond this - everything is fluff to me.

akla_thornfist
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
great news Tolero looking forward to creating a new character.

Drider
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
When it is too little too late, it's kind of like, they know something is a problem, but instead of addressing it in a way that will meaningfully make their entire playerbase happy, they throw a penny at us an tell us to feed ourselves with it. That analogy might only make sense to me :D so poke fun at your hearts desire!

If it was too late then you should have left already... yet you are still here.

frugal_gourmet
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow. I just cannot wrap my brain around the idea that people are able to play that many characters. Maybe someday I will get to that stage.

Madalive
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank You Turbine.

Gunga
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Honestly, it's the principle of it, at least for me. I don't think Turbine is acknowledging what makes this game great - endless build opportunities and integrated voicechat that builds relationships (ie why I don't want to switch servers). I'm not giving up on the game yet; but this is like a slap in the face for many of us. Step in the right direction? It would have been a step in the right direction when monks were released. Now, to only give 1 slot, is a slap in the face. This has been detailed and discussed to death by many of us that feel this way in many other threads over the past 3 months. If you need a recap let me know.

I mean, you know me, I hate to be rude but, I think when someone gives someone something, and the recieving party begins to tell the giving party that it's too little too late, and that it's really the priniciple of the matter, that the giving party could be justified in telling the receiving party to shove their principles up their a**, really.

In theory, anyway.

Laith
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
oh, no: i get what the phrase means.
I just don't feel any of us have the right or reason to take one free character slot as an insult.

I do feel that the slot should have come with mod7 & monks, and i feel for those who deleted characters to make a monk. That damage is already done however, and adding slots now doesn't get back the characters people deleted to play monks, or their active choice to not delete and avoid rolling a monk.

This slot is probably being given because of the NPE in mod8. In this case, it's a case of Turbine learning from its mistakes.

Odds are, we'll be demanding another slot when half-orcs come out. Another for druids, and another for whatever else is coming that encourages low-level play. Adding multiple slots each time quickly gets out of hand.

Juni
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Awesome News now to decide what char type to build next.

Borror0
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I mean, you know me, I hate to be rude but, I think when someone gives someone something, and the receiving party begins to tell the giving party that it's too little too late, and that it's really the principle of the matter, that the giving party could be justified in telling the receiving party to shove their principles up their a**, really.

In theory, anyway.
Agreeing with Gunga and Madmatt70 in one week... what's wrong with me?

smatt
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Cool, very nice....

Taurnish
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I will just say thanks for the new slot, I wanted to role a lowbie for the new content but do not wish to delete one of my current characters.

Thanks.

Bekki
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Indeed, Thank you turbine.

I Look Forward to Cheking out the New Player Area,

Maybe this can Help my Wife get interested again...:D

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
oh, no: i get what the phrase means.
I just don't feel any of us have the right or reason to take one free character slot as an insult.

I do feel that the slot should have come with mod7 & monks, and i feel for those who deleted characters to make a monk. That damage is already done however, and adding slots now doesn't get back the characters people deleted to play monks, or their active choice to not delete and avoid rolling a monk.

This slot is probably being given because of the NPE in mod8. In this case, it's a case of Turbine learning from its mistakes.

Odds are, we'll be demanding another slot when half-orcs come out. Another for druids, and another for whatever else is coming that encourages low-level play. Adding multiple slots each time quickly gets out of hand.

Because so many of us that have been playing this game without breaks for over 2 years get NOTHING from 1 slot since we are over anyway.

Sorry that I hoped Turbine would care about their longterm customers with two MODs in a row that, for the most part, didn't.

Drider
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Because so many of us that have been playing this game without breaks for over 2 years get NOTHING from 1 slot since we are over anyway.

Sorry that I hoped Turbine would care about their longterm customers with two MODs in a row that, for the most part, didn't.

So you are now saying that because you took advantage over something that gave you more characters then you should have in the first place, them giving everyone else a slot that they didn't already have is snubbing you? There is only one person in my guild that has over the 9 and he doesn't complain about it, because he knew the consequences a long time ago.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM

I have been playing since headstart, and somehow I understood all along that the max was 7 then 9 and to be 10, when I had more characters because of the merge I deleted them to get me back down, did I like it no. Do I blame Turbine no. I have deleted 4 capped characters and countless lowbies, should I blame Turbine nope, why because I knew the limit and worked within it

Lifespawn
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Should they have given another slot for monks?....100% yes

Did i delete chars i enjoyed playing to make a monk?...yes

Am i ****ed at turbine for giving us a free slot?....no

Would i love to have unlimited slots?...yes

Do i think that just because people have over the limit toons they should automatically get to reroll and keep that many slots giving them an advantage over anyone that didn't have over the limit?....no

Thx for the slot turbine yes i wish i could have more but i'm not gonna ***** about it i'll just look forward to making a new char.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
because you took advantage

There is only one person in my guild that has over the 9 and he doesn't complain about it, because he knew the consequences a long time ago.

Point1: took advantage is implying I cheated, please do not do this. While I am somewhat active on the forums these days, at the time I went over the limit, I never came here. It seemed perfectly natural for me to get a new slot for every 1750 favor; so I did so. It wasn't until nearly a year later that I realized this was a bug.

Point2: Are you joking or just a guild of newer players?? Everyone that I have played with for OVER A YEAR is in the same predicament. I just wish I could get them active on the boards to come voice their opinion as well.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I have been playing since headstart, and somehow I understood all along that the max was 7 then 9 and to be 10, when I had more characters because of the merge I deleted them to get me back down, did I like it no. Do I blame Turbine no. I have deleted 4 capped characters and countless lowbies, should I blame Turbine nope, why because I knew the limit and worked within it

Dude, this conversation is not about the past. It is about Turbine realizing that DDO IS SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF ENDLESS BUILD VARIETY. Based upon this assertion, they should play to their strengths.

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Dude, this conversation is not about the past. It is about Turbine realizing that DDO IS SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF ENDLESS BUILD VARIETY. Based upon this assertion, they should play to their strengths.

Yes but they can only go so far in letting people be creative, given that this is also a business. The limit is there so that if you go past it you need to get another account. it is not like we are talking 2 slots here, we are talking 9 and 10 slots. I have built countless experimental builds, I try to keep the successful ones and occasionally delete to make room for new ones.

I for one would be very happy to see a pay for extra slots kind of deal, but I owuld expect to pay for any slot over 10.And I would say that 10 slots is reasonable form a business perspective

Drider
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Point1: took advantage is implying I cheated, please do not do this. While I am somewhat active on the forums these days, at the time I went over the limit, I never came here. It seemed perfectly natural for me to get a new slot for every 1750 favor; so I did so. It wasn't until nearly a year later that I realized this was a bug.

Point2: Are you joking or just a guild of newer players?? Everyone that I have played with for OVER A YEAR is in the same predicament. I just wish I could get them active on the boards to come voice their opinion as well.

Point 1: I said you took advantage, you are the one that is making it imply that you cheated. You say it was a mistake.. well guess what, you've known for awhile now that it wasn't. This bug has also been fixed for over a year now. You have no excuses and no reason to be mad.

Point 2: Nope not joking.. We've all been here since launch pretty much, when we want something new we find something to delete. We did have a couple of people over though and they deleted their toons down to what they had to be at, cuz they wanted to make something new.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes but they can only go so far in letting people be creative, given that this is also a business. The limit is there so that if you go past it you need to get another account. it is not like we are talking 2 slots here, we are talking 9 and 10 slots. I have built countless experimental builds, I try to keep the successful ones and occasionally delete to make room for new ones.

I for one would be very happy to see a pay for extra slots kind of deal, but I owuld expect to pay for any slot over 10.And I would say that 10 slots is reasonable form a business perspective

I've never been against it costing extra money, btw. $29.95, and it's not even a drow or 32pnt unless you unlock favor on the other server, seems excessive though.

faldordadink
09-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Indeed, Thank you turbine.

I Look Forward to Cheking out the New Player Area,

Maybe this can Help my Wife get interested again...:D

If your Wife is anything like mine she would be more "interested" if you came to bed at a reasonable hour instead of playing till the wee hours of the morning :)

Tolero
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusion on what a character "slot" is...

Think of your account as your back pack, and that it has "inventory over flow". If you fill your back pack with items, and you end up pushing something into inventory over flow, you can't add anything new to your back pack inventory because all the bag slots you have are consumed...and then some. The "then some" is out in over-flow space. Are we going to reach into your bag and pull out excess items? No. But if you want to put something else in your bag, you'll need to make room before you can do that.

Post Script: What you're asking for is that we get the tailors to let the seams out a bit and make the bag bigger, but I don't know that we'll ever come to a happy medium on when the bag is big enough =/ so we're still looking over the pattern on that one.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Think of your account as your back pack, and that it has "inventory over flow". If you fill your back pack with items, and you end up pushing something into inventory over flow, you can't add anything new to your back pack inventory because all the bag slots you have are consumed...and then some. The "then some" is out in over-flow space. Are we going to reach into your bag and pull out excess items? No. But if you want to put something else in your bag, you'll need to make room before you can do that.

This is a fine analogy, but I think that the team is underestimating the number of people that "just one slot" is meaningless for.

Edit: Do you guys have data on this?

Raegoul
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I am vaguely satisfied with ONE MORE CHARACTER SLOT and therefore feeling a little better.

I still have nothing to do !NOW! unfortunately.

Two Slots would make me feel alot better.

Is there a good reason y we have to wait until Module 8??

captain1z
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Thnx for the slots and info T.

I dont have 1750 and have wanted an extra slot for some time now to conduct my mad experiments ................. muwahahaha

I have

1 sorc - solid build
1 paladin - decent
1 cleric - servicable
1 fighter/barb - very solid
1 fighter/ranger - very awesome
1 rogue - soon to be awesome
1 fighter - good at what he does
1 fighter/bank

the 2 extra slots give a re-roll slot and a slot to try new class & class combos

thnx

Zenako
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
This is a fine analogy, but I think that the team is underestimating the number of people that "just one slot" is meaningless for.

Exactly, it is effectively useless for someone with 12 characters at this point. All it means is that they would have to delete 3 characters they enjoy playing instead of the 4 it would be currently.

It would be like havng a Bonus Experience Week. Helps a number of players, but for those players with just capped characters, the perk/promotion is pretty much useless.

Steiner-Davion
09-10-2008, 05:29 PM
It would be very interesting to see the subscription number and the number of characters per account for each server, befpre and post Server Merge. And then look more closely at the data to see when "extra" characters were made on those accounts in relation to the pending server merge announcement.

I for one have been here since head start, have currently now have (as of Mod 7) 9 charactes on my main server of Ghallanda, and maybeo 3 or 4 other characters MAX on the other servers. I found a home on Ghallanda and stayed here. Only went to other servers when I found out some freinds from back home (when I was living overseas) were playing DDO. But theyall left the game, and I do not play those characters any more. Fortunately for me, the servers I had other characters on didn't merger with Ghallanda.

Now, while I am sure that there were a few "hard-core" gamers that read about the pending server merge and created "additional" characters, my money says that the "vast majority" of the players who are over the limit are simply victims of having made many characters on all the servers.

Now if you ask me, the biggest concern about character slots is a lack of storage space in game. We need more backpack space, SPELL INGREDIENT BAGS, MORE BANK SPACE (there is at least space for 2 more bank tabs). Guild banksing would be nice but what ever happened to my acocunt wide shared bank that was mentioned before the game was released in all the marketing materials? This should be implemented now. Ask yourself one simple question: "How many (if any, though I'm sure most have at least one) of your characters on your main server, is really nothing more than a mule to carry your extra gear? Now for those of you who like playing and experimenting with different builds, how much easier would it be, if you could use one if not more of your mule slots to play different builds?

Angelus_dead
09-10-2008, 05:29 PM
OMG you bor me. This whole thread stinks of people getting what they asked for and now wanting more.
Wrong.

They asked for the ability to create a new character without deleting existing ones. They didn't get it.

Gunga
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Yeah. You found a way to get more toons than was intended, not brian surgery btw , and Turbine let you keep them.

You only embarass yourself further by asking him that question.

Gracious is a word that everyone should refresh themselves with.

Drider
09-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Why should they give people who have had the ability to have more characters then what is normally allowed a bonus? Your bonus is that you've had more then 9 characters for a long time now.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Why should they give people who have had the ability to have more characters then what is normally allowed a bonus? Your bonus is that you've had more then 9 characters for a long time now.

Because a) what player is going to be hurt by having 12-15 slots if they are not going to use them and b) why not keep the people that obviously like building lots of characters happy with something that should, hypothetically, be easily done.

Solmage
09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Character slot! YAY! :)

Gunga
09-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Wrong.

They asked for the ability to create a new character without deleting existing ones. They didn't get it.

No. I'm right. I have seen requests for new slots. I now see complaints about new slots.

I think you're most likely a smartish person. I've seen your posts, and you seem to be able to process information in a logical way. I might be wrong here, but probably not since I'm usually right when it comes to logic.

None the less, I will help you figure this out:

1. You can take one of your capped toons that you can't possibly play enough to matter, and move them to another server. You can continue to do this until you have a slot open on the server in question, with which you can now roll a new toon.

2. Today, you can create 9 new toons on 4 other servers. Soon, you'll be able to create 10.

It's easy to figure out, really.

Stormanne
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Now, I'm not saying anyone person did this. When they did the server merge, the pre-merge information stated that characters on merging servers would not be deleted and that the total number of characters would be on the new home server. If said player had more than the allotted character slots, the player would not be allowed to roll a new character until they were below the previously stated character slot cap. Now I know on Adar alone we had a whole gaggle of people jump onto Sarlona to roll up the max number of characters there to give them a total of 16 characters.

While I have not seen it on the forums here, I have heard it in game that they are unhappy that they cannot roll up new characters now for over a year due to their own greed. Is it Turbines fault for putting in a limit, sure it is. Is it their fault when someone knowingly and purposefully goes beyond that limit, not at all. To those that had legit characters on the merging servers before it took place and now are stuck, I'm sorry and I do feel for you. To those that let greed get to better of them and rolled up a bunch of characters knowing they would be stuck with them, sorry bout your luck, but you got what you wanted then and screwed yourself now.

Now none of the above diatribe addresses the fact that the limit is, in all reality, artificial and completely arbitrary. I've seen several other MMO's with limits of 20 on the pay to play games and some of the free MMO's (even as poor of quality as most are) with no limits what-so-ever. I've also seen a business model that adds a single dollar per month to your subscription cost for every character that you create over the default limit, as a way of generating additional income.

I truly believe that the last sentence above would be the best possible compromise for DDO. It would generate additional income for the game and give the players what they truly want, unlimited character creation, so long as they are willing to pay for it, without all of the drudge and drag of grinding for favor on a second account.

Hafeal
09-10-2008, 06:37 PM

"They" already have this ability ... thus there is nothing to "get." :confused:

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 06:40 PM
As a special thanks to our players, we're pleased to announce that for Module 8, we are increasing the total number of character slots available to players from 9 to 10! Additionally, players will no longer need to “unlock” character slots – all players will start the game with 10 character slots provided. Players will still need to use the Favor system in order to have access to the Drow race and the 32 point character build choices to use with their 10 slots.

Please be advised that any player with more characters than 10 from server merges, character transfers, etc. will need to delete down to the 10th slot in order to make a new character if they so desire. If you have more than 10 characters, we will not remove these excess characters, but you won't be able to create a new character, as you've already consumed 10 slots with the excess characters.

We'd like to thank all our players for playing Dungeons & Dragons Online, and look forward to the excitement of Module 8!

Told ya! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
"They" already have this ability ... thus there is nothing to "get." :confused:

huh??

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Now, I'm not saying anyone person did this. When they did the server merge, the pre-merge information stated that characters on merging servers would not be deleted and that the total number of characters would be on the new home server. If said player had more than the allotted character slots, the player would not be allowed to roll a new character until they were below the previously stated character slot cap. Now I know on Adar alone we had a whole gaggle of people jump onto Sarlona to roll up the max number of characters there to give them a total of 16 characters.

While I have not seen it on the forums here, I have heard it in game that they are unhappy that they cannot roll up new characters now for over a year due to their own greed. Is it Turbines fault for putting in a limit, sure it is. Is it their fault when someone knowingly and purposefully goes beyond that limit, not at all. To those that had legit characters on the merging servers before it took place and now are stuck, I'm sorry and I do feel for you. To those that let greed get to better of them and rolled up a bunch of characters knowing they would be stuck with them, sorry bout your luck, but you got what you wanted then and screwed yourself now.

Now none of the above diatribe addresses the fact that the limit is, in all reality, artificial and completely arbitrary. I've seen several other MMO's with limits of 20 on the pay to play games and some of the free MMO's (even as poor of quality as most are) with no limits what-so-ever. I've also seen a business model that adds a single dollar per month to your subscription cost for every character that you create over the default limit, as a way of generating additional income.

I truly believe that the last sentence above would be the best possible compromise for DDO. It would generate additional income for the game and give the players what they truly want, unlimited character creation, so long as they are willing to pay for it, without all of the drudge and drag of grinding for favor on a second account.

<-- over limit, YES! I am currently at 12. It was mostly to reserve names, but I actually took thetime to build the character and played them. Am I upset? NO! I got another account (which is almost at full :p ) and sucked it up. Now, with ten slots, I can erase one ( and turn around and reserve the name on the other account!) and move my 15 cleric to Khyber, which is my vacation home. More importantly, I can re roll again! Some of my clerics can become level one's again. Allowing others to advance.

But I am glad they are giving us another slot. While I found one toon I could live without, I couldn't figure out the second one I would have to erase. I can wait til Mod 8 for it, too.

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Garbage. Be appreciative you grumpy bastards.

Agreed. Agreed with you twice in one day. Must be the end of the world aswe know it.

captain1z
09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
While it would not be a popular idea................

I think Turbine should apply some Gunga luv to the slot situation.

Pick a date........... announce the date............. let everyone know that if they do not meet the 10 slot max requirement by that date characters will be deleted (from newest to oldest) down to 10.

Several options are available to preserve wanted characters, most notably ..... server transfers. While the service may cost money I would advise those who see it as their only option to do it and argue the price later.

Yes, the character slots are the result of a bug.
bug = turbines fault
took advantage of bug = players fault
"victom" of a server merger because player had maxed out slots on all servers and doesnt wanna delete any because they are all useful = turbines fault but still excessive.

The cost of the move could be argued down to $0 in some cases.

What many have failed to see is ........... "the character slot issue was labaled a "bug" but was not treated as a bug. If it was the slots would have been removed, the same as any other bug.

Turbine gave us all a gift when they did not remedy this bug..................... dont take it for granted.

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Agreeing with Gunga and Madmatt70 in one week... what's wrong with me?

you too, huh? There must be large disaster pending to wipe all life off the planet.

Riddikulus
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Post Script: What you're asking for is that we get the tailors to let the seams out a bit and make the bag bigger, but I don't know that we'll ever come to a happy medium on when the bag is big enough =/ so we're still looking over the pattern on that one.
The problem is considering how fast you can level and how many different races and classes there are that 10 is just pathetic. When I ran into the original 10 cap that I had (now 9) it got to the point where I just lost interest in playing around with different builds because I would always have to delete something, which is a total hassle.

Now since I've lost interest in doing new builds (i.e. deleting characters), all that's left is playing content with my existing builds. I'm just totally done with pretty much everything and anything gianthold and before, and given that there isn't any new content coming in for months at a time at this particular point I'm just not playing at all.

If you are going to have a game which is only trickling in new content and relying on making people reroll new builds to replay existing content you have to give them the means to do so.

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The problem is considering how fast you can level and how many different races and classes there are that 10 is just pathetic. When I ran into the original 10 cap that I had (now 9) it got to the point where I just lost interest in playing around with different builds because I would always have to delete something, which is a total hassle.

Now since I've lost interest in doing new builds (i.e. deleting characters), all that's left is playing content with my existing builds. I'm just totally done with pretty much everything and anything gianthold and before, and given that there isn't any new content coming in for months at a time at this particular point I'm just not playing at all.

If you are going to have a game which is only trickling in new content and relying on making people reroll new builds to replay existing content you have to give them the means to do so.

THen why are you here? Seriously. WHy? I don't play alot but I have two accounts filled with toons One of those accounts has overflow. started 2 months after start. While I have had my bad days on this game, I continue to find fun things to do. I didn't level my toons up (not power leveling, just picky on the quests) fast so I could enjoy the quests I like, I E the lower/mid level ones. If you maxxed out what you can do with a build (s) and did everything you wanna do, and you are not even playing, then why are you here? I took breaks, no more than two months, but I did take them. If this isn't enough, and getting fustrated over a free slot, maybe it is time you take a break, too.

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
While it would not be a popular idea................

I think Turbine should apply some Gunga luv to the slot situation.

Pick a date........... announce the date............. let everyone know that if they do not meet the 10 slot max requirement by that date characters will be deleted (from newest to oldest) down to 10.

Several options are available to preserve wanted characters, most notably ..... server transfers. While the service may cost money I would advise those who see it as their only option to do it and argue the price later.

Yes, the character slots are the result of a bug.
bug = turbines fault
took advantage of bug = players fault
"victom" of a server merger because player had maxed out slots on all servers and doesnt wanna delete any because they are all useful = turbines fault but still excessive.

The cost of the move could be argued down to $0 in some cases.

What many have failed to see is ........... "the character slot issue was labaled a "bug" but was not treated as a bug. If it was the slots would have been removed, the same as any other bug.

Turbine gave us all a gift when they did not remedy this bug..................... dont take it for granted.

I never look a gifted horse in the mouth, it might bite me!

I don't want Gunga love, Or at least until after the Mod, cuz I have a plan, made easier by this announcement!

Actually, I don't want Gunga anything.

captain1z
09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
There must be large disaster pending to wipe all life off the planet.

this might do it -----> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26439957/

or maybe this -------> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26644260/

this girl thought this was the one that does it -------> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26641652/ might have guessed wrong also

akla_thornfist
09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
gotta say doctorwhofan was right about the whispers of a new slot, i cant believe that it stayed a secret.

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
this might do it -----> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26439957/

or maybe this -------> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26644260/

this girl thought this was the one that does it -------> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26641652/ might have guessed wrong also

Well, we are still here, or in hell, cuz A_D, Gunga are here. Bran would be the icing on the cake. Of coure I would agree with him too. darnit!!!!:D

Black Hole machine? Bah! And the Gamma ray burst aready happened. Agreeing with Gunga twice in one day?

---shiver!---

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
gotta say doctorwhofan was right about the whispers of a new slot, i cant believe that it stayed a secret.

I had help! :D

Kistilan
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM
The greatest part of this new system is the featured ability to move a character from a transfer server to another server with 10+ already-made characters. This is amazing (and somewhat game-breaking).

1. I can now make characters on other servers by transferring 1 1750 character to that server.
2. I then create 1750 builds and play them up til I'm happy on that server and then transfer them back to my server where I already have met or exceeded the 10+ cap. I have the option to level this character to cap on the OTHER server, OR transfer them at level 1 through whatever to my home sever, scoring a new character.
3. I continue to build an army of 1750 32 pt build characters on my home server and at some point have darn near every build I ever wanted. Meanwhile, I also promote Turbine by shifting a few hundred dollars their way over the course of a year and hopefully this speeds up my content release and level cap adjustment.
4. Davey F. Crockett wins again. (This guy paid to transfer his character to make a trade and then transferred his character back to Argonnessen, I mean, c'mon... he's obviously going to use this system to its fullest. Turbine <3's you Davey.)

Anyway, Turbine has officially created a way for us to "buy" more character slots. This was requested over a year ago and now it's become true (if you work it proper).

DoctorWhofan
09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
The greatest part of this new system is the featured ability to move a character from a transfer server to another server with 10+ already-made characters. This is amazing (and somewhat game-breaking).

1. I can now make characters on other servers by transferring 1 1750 character to that server.
2. I then create 1750 builds and play them up til I'm happy on that server and then transfer them back to my server where I already have met or exceeded the 10+ cap. I have the option to level this character to cap on the OTHER server, OR transfer them at level 1 through whatever to my home sever, scoring a new character.
3. I continue to build an army of 1750 32 pt build characters on my home server and at some point have darn near every build I ever wanted. Meanwhile, I also promote Turbine by shifting a few hundred dollars their way over the course of a year and hopefully this speeds up my content release and level cap adjustment.
4. Davey F. Crockett wins again. (This guy paid to transfer his character to make a trade and then transferred his character back to Argonnessen, I mean, c'mon... he's obviously going to use this system to its fullest. Turbine <3's you Davey.)

Anyway, Turbine has officially created a way for us to "buy" more character slots. This was requested over a year ago and now it's become true (if you work it proper).

The problem is it will still exceed your max. You cannot re roll on the account. But it is an plus. But I will never NEVER exceed my slots again!! I have several toons I need to reroll and I couldn't! Even this one slot will help inmeasurablly!

ArkoHighStar
09-10-2008, 07:42 PM

I hate to say it and don't take it the wrong way, but unless Turbine gives unlimited slots you will never be happy, because say they bump it up to 20 slots eventually you will fill those and then complain that you need more. You are not playing because you lack slots, but because you have lost interest. If you really wanted to get more characters you could get a second account like many others have done.

captain1z
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, we are still here, or in hell, cuz A_D, Gunga are here. Bran would be the icing on the cake. Of coure I would agree with him too. darnit!!!!:D

Black Hole machine? Bah! And the Gamma ray burst aready happened. Agreeing with Gunga twice in one day?

---shiver!---

to anyone who has ever played half life or doom (with 2 o's) this machine provokes many an interesting thought about the future.

major derail......... sorry

valczir
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
to anyone who has ever played half life or doom (with 2 o's) this machine provokes many an interesting thought about the future.

major derail......... sorry

Or seen Event Horizon. Same premise - using black hole to rip open space/time, end up opening a portal to Hell.

Riddikulus
09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
THen why are you here? Seriously. WHy?
If you maxxed out what you can do with a build (s) and did everything you wanna do, and you are not even playing, then why are you here? I took breaks, no more than two months, but I did take them. If this isn't enough, and getting fustrated over a free slot, maybe it is time you take a break, too.
I'm really not here. I haven't logged in very often in months now, and what time I have spent in game has been pretty minimal. I had 5 capped at 14... none of them have reached 16.

I really do like what they have done so far, obviously I think they could be doing more. I had cancelled last October, but I signed up for the 6 month discount plan this spring mainly to support the game that I love. If they hadn't come out with that plan I would have just stayed cancelled. Of course as a result I have forum posting ability until at least October 5th ;)).

As far as the "free slot"...

I hate to say it and don't take it the wrong way, but unless Turbine gives unlimited slots you will never be happy, because say they bump it up to 20 slots eventually you will fill those and then complain that you need more. You are not playing because you lack slots, but because you have lost interest. If you really wanted to get more characters you could get a second account like many others have done.
Yes, I already said that I have pretty much completely lost interest... but that started with having to delete so many characters to be able to do something new.

In order to build a Monk I had to delete 3 characters. Then when I wanted to try to build a different kind of Monk I had to delete another character or delete the Monk I had just made. My interest in it all just went downhill from there.

Now if I had 20 slots I wouldn't have had to make those choices, especially with mid-level characters that I really did not want to delete. Would I end up filling all 20? Who knows... we certainly won't know now.

And no I'm not grinding 1750 again on another account. I actually do have another copy of DDO that I haven't activated yet simply because I'm not creating another 28 point character (I have 4 of them), nor do I want to pay for 2 accounts... I'm already paying for 1 that I don't use. :D

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM

There is a big difference between buying slots and paying for a transfer. If I transfer a rogue, lets say, that puts me to 11 toons - if I delete him, I am back to 10 unless I want to pay an ADDITIONAL $30. Big big difference between buying slots and transferring.

Also, if you go read all of the hundreds of threads on this, very few people thought a fee as high as $30 a character is worth it. Let's pretend for a second that the $30 gets us "slots." That would be $300 for a full second account, in essence. This is the equivalent of 20 months of contuous service on this second account. So, it becomes cheaper to do the character transfer ONLY if these characters are ALL kept over 20 months.

Combine this with the fact that, we are not buying slots, we are just moving a character to an already full bag - as Tolero put it - and this is a losing scenario.

Samadhi
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Can you afford to pay for my second account? If so, please send me the password and I will leave this thread. Thanks.

ahpook
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Wrong.

Wrong. They did. Have 20 characters on your server? Go to a different server, create a character, and pay the transfer fee and you now have 21 characters. If you want a 32 pt build move one of you characters to the new server first. If they have 10 characters on each server they just have to move some from one server to another to create a free slot. Every extra character simply has one time cost equal to the transfer fee.

Of course you can argue that you don't like the cost but that is a different argument.

Grimtooth333
09-11-2008, 02:21 AM

Boooo
Major QFE!

Fair only if you bought into the loss of almost two thirds of your available slots in the first place. IMO we should have about twenty slots per remaining server.
My math puts it at 14-15 + the 2 unlocks... but yeah I agree.

sparkling_diamond_l
09-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Thank you....Thank you.....Thank you!!!!:D

eonfreon
09-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Even though I feel for all those who really should have more slots after the merger and all, I still want to say thank you.
After nearly 2 years i've finally got 2 (maybe 3) characters that I really feel are undeletable and the rest (even though I've enjoyed playing them) are expendable, this will make my gaming easier because I can keep my mid and low(er) characters open for low and mid level runs with my guildies, and I can now figure on what will be my favorite build based on all I've learned up to now.
Thank you very much.

~Jules921
09-11-2008, 06:38 AM
No. I'm right. I have seen requests for new slots. I now see complaints about new slots.

I think you're most likely a smartish person. I've seen your posts, and you seem to be able to process information in a logical way. I might be wrong here, but probably not since I'm usually right when it comes to logic.

None the less, I will help you figure this out:

1. You can take one of your capped toons that you can't possibly play enough to matter, and move them to another server. You can continue to do this until you have a slot open on the server in question, with which you can now roll a new toon.

2. Today, you can create 9 new toons on 4 other servers. Soon, you'll be able to create 10.

It's easy to figure out, really.

Please enlighten me - why would I want to move to another server when my guild and friends are all on Thelanis. Do I ask them to move with me??? Is that really reasonable??? What about all the equipment that might be on that particular character that is moved? Suppose I need a piece of equipment that X has, but its on the other server? Can you figure that one out for me too. :confused: You've only been playing for a little over a year, I have been playing for over 2 years. When I first started playing DDO I tried many different servers til I found one that I liked. I don't want to have to start over again on another server where I don't know anyone and I shouldn't have to.

This is why I have 3 accounts. My second was purchased after the server merge. The third was done when they offered 6 months at $10 a month. The previous cost $30 a month for 2 accounts. Current cost $30 a month for 3 accounts. :cool:

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but Gunga, your logic is not reasonable, nor logical from my point of view.

Tolero, I really appreciate the additional character slot. My personal preference would be to allow us to purchase additional slots for a one time cost, then we can delete and re-create up to that number of slots both given and purchased.

Jules

Wizzly_Bear
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Steiner-Davion
09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Agreed with you twice in one day. Must be the end of the world aswe know it.

It is funny you should have said that, because they were trying to create Micro-Blackholes with the particle accelerator at CERN yesterday. And I was sying that song all day at work:

"Its the end of the world as we know it
Its the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine."

you too, huh? There must be large disaster pending to wipe all life off the planet.
Black Hole on earth? Just how do you turn darn the thing off? My guess would be that you can't since you would be sucjed right into it before you could.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 10:54 AM

If there is, I guess some will be quick to say it's the LHC's fault. ;)

Zenako
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM

They better be VERY quick....:eek:

Borror0
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
It is funny you should have said that, because they were trying to create Micro-Blackholes with the particle accelerator at CERN yesterday.

Actually, the right sentence should be:

"The CERN was trying to recreate the conditions present just a instant after the Big Bang to enlarge their knowledge about elementary particles, underground near the France-Switzerland border. Some may think that the experience will create mini-blackholes. While it's a possibility, it is not a great danger. In fact, blackholes are created within the Sun everyday but they crash to their own gravity. It is safe to assume the same will occur about the blackholes created within the LHC."

Shortly put, they may create a blackhole that will wipe us all, but current knowledge would indicate that not. The risks with this experiment are the same as any experiment as there is always a part of unknown. But really, those quoting Nostradamus and crying the end of the world are overreacting. There have been similar experiment in the past, just not at that power level.

Samadhi
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
No. You missed the point. You would....

1)transfer one of your 1750 favor characters over to a different server
2)make new 32 pter(s) on this server
3)transfer all you wanted back to home server

With this you can exceed the 10 character max on your home server.

btw...saw many instances of people complaining about transfers being $30. Unless they have changed it recently, the price is $25.

It was me that quoted 30 -if it's 25 now that is better, I fully admit I haven't looked into the price structure on this for a while. However, it is not better enough (anglais?) Using your example, $25 to move a character to Server2. To compare the price to the difference between just buying a new account, I make 10 new characters on this server. Now, I transfer all 10 plus my original back. Because of moving the other character back and forth, I'm now totalling $300 for the whole procedure. At the HIGHEST $/month of 15 out of turbine's pricing plans, this is 20 months of service. So IF I keep all 10 of these new characters active for over 20 months - then the pricing could be considered comparable EXCEPT that we are, as Tolero pointed out, talking about characters - NOT SLOTS.

If I want to reroll even 1 character on my jampacked server, using your example of solidifying 32's, now it's another $75 dollars as I move toons from server to server again. If the price of character transfers is REDUCED DRAMATICALLY then we can start comparing whether it is a viable option to replace slots or not. As it is, though, $25 might be too high to buy a slot - and is definitively out of line with market value for a character that once there cannot be deleted/replaced at the drop of a hat.

Thrudh
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, I 100% do, ask anyone on Ghallanda that knows me. I have 10 characters right now, two get off timer for hound tonight, the rest are on timer. Four are on timer for reaver, two for shroud (a different two). None for VOD because I worked a bit the past three days but will hopefully be curing it tonight. I help out guildies all the time - and grab the toon that best fits the quest they need help on. Do I play every character 10 hours every week? No. Do I play every character I have at least 1 hour every week? Absolutely. That's what keeps the game fresh for me, always playing it from the different perspective of a different build.

And ten different perspectives isn't enough?? Here's a thought... Buy another account... Another $9.99 a month... Surely this game is worth $20 a month to you considering how much you play... (I mean, come on, you must play a LOT - 16 raids in 2.5 days?)

You can quit if you're bored, but don't ever bad-mouth Turbine again.. You're paying like 5 cents an hour (assuming 200 hours a month) to play here. You have gotten a LOT of enjoyment from Turbine for a very cheap price.

Thrudh
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
No. You missed the point. You would....

1)transfer one of your 1750 favor characters over to a different server
2)make new 32 pter(s) on this server
3)transfer all you wanted back to home server

With this you can exceed the 10 character max on your home server.

btw...saw many instances of people complaining about transfers being $30. Unless they have changed it recently, the price is $25.

Probably cheaper to just get a second account... $120 a year for a second account allows you to build (and reroll) 10 more characters... $25 per transfer means you'll spend more once you've created 5 new characters (with no way to reroll).

MissErres
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't believe all the negativity in this thread. People have been *****ing for months about wanting information about what's going on behind the scenes and wanting new character slots. Granted more than one would be better, but they also gave us a way to get around it AND TOLD US ABOUT IT.

Thank you Turbine for listening to our pleas and giving us an extra slot. Thank you Tolero for letting us know about it.

Zenako
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I am sure that some people would use a feature that allowed them to purchase extra SLOTS on a current account. While it would be wonderful if it was free, it could also be a nightmare if no limits were put on it. As things stand now, you have N slots on a given account (currently 9 going to 10 soon). If the cost for extra slots was reasonable, then it would be the preferred choice to getting an entire second account. I will pick $3/month for each extra slot. If you want more than 5, you would be better served economically getting a second account. (Two accounts have pros and cons to them. You can dual box and "solo" with two toons if you want to, you can avoid ingame mail fees and trade stuff between characters a lot easier, however the second account will need to be built up to get the 32 point builds...)

Now this sounds fine and wonderful until it comes to the billing part (which is where I suspect a large part of the hangup exists). Most players have some sort of established account and automatic billing scheme, or prepaid for 6 months. If a player wanted to add two bonus slots to an account, there would need to be some new interface to make it possible, and some way to pay for it. While not all that difficult to envision, you would have to be able to change any preset CC charges for current and future months or figure out if the account on a 6 month agreement gets a prorated one shot charge for the bonus charge, or it gets dinged on a monthly basis.

So someone for example with 14 characters currently could choose to pay an extra $15 a month to unlock 5 bonus slots on their account, which would exactly cover them currently, and given them one open slot come Mod 8.

Deathseeker
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry gang, just not buying it. There is NO LIMIT on character slots. There is a limit on slots that come with your $15 / month fee. If you play so often that you have 10 toons capped, or at least active, then you should pony up the exta $15 per month for a second account. Then you can have 20 toons. The argument isn't how many character slots...the argument is how many character slots you get for $15 per month. 10 sounds reasonable to me for all but the top tier of active players, and in "cost per hour played" terms, even if they paid the extra $15 per month they are getting a ridiculously great entertainment deal.

Strakeln
09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry gang, just not buying it. There is NO LIMIT on character slots. There is a limit on slots that come with your $15 / month fee. If you play so often that you have 10 toons capped, or at least active, then you should pony up the exta $15 per month for a second account. Then you can have 20 toons. The argument isn't how many character slots...the argument is how many character slots you get for $15 per month. 10 sounds reasonable to me for all but the top tier of active players, and in "cost per hour played" terms, even if they paid the extra $15 per month they are getting a ridiculously great entertainment deal.Fair point.

Beherit_Baphomar
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Did we figure this out?

_ E _
_ _ _ E E _ E _ _ _
_ _ E _ _ E _ !

I know we thought it was
NEW
EXPERIENCE
PREVIEW!

Or some such, obviously we be wrong.

Gunga
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Please enlighten me - why would I want to move to another server when my guild and friends are all on Thelanis. Do I ask them to move with me??? Is that really reasonable??? What about all the equipment that might be on that particular character that is moved? Suppose I need a piece of equipment that X has, but its on the other server? Can you figure that one out for me too. :confused: You've only been playing for a little over a year, I have been playing for over 2 years. When I first started playing DDO I tried many different servers til I found one that I liked. I don't want to have to start over again on another server where I don't know anyone and I shouldn't have to.

This is why I have 3 accounts. My second was purchased after the server merge. The third was done when they offered 6 months at $10 a month. The previous cost $30 a month for 2 accounts. Current cost $30 a month for 3 accounts. :cool:

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, but Gunga, your logic is not reasonable, nor logical from my point of view.

Tolero, I really appreciate the additional character slot. My personal preference would be to allow us to purchase additional slots for a one time cost, then we can delete and re-create up to that number of slots both given and purchased.

Jules

Hi Jules.

I have an engineering degree and I manage a large projects that involve groups of people who reside in many different states. Logic comes easily for me, although it's not always been popular or even widely accepted (until I became a manager :) ).

If you're out of slots on your favorite server, there are many logical answers to your problem. You just don't want to hear them. Fine.

Here's some more logic for you that you don't have to listen to: We pay our fee for what we currently get. Not what the game is going to be 2 years from now, but what the game is today. Accept it and play within the parameters, don't accept it and register your complaint, or leave. To complain about getting more for nothing doesn't seem logical to me. And anyone who plays this game so much to have capped 10 undeletably uber toons should not mind paying for another account. Turbine has given you endless hours of enjoyment and they deserve the extra fee.

No, I don't think your response was harsh at all, the opposite actually. But you're hardly being reasonable and I don't agree with your logic.

Coldin
09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Did we figure this out?

_ E _
_ _ _ E E _ E _ _ _
_ _ E _ _ E _ !

I know we thought it was
NEW
EXPERIENCE
PREVIEW!

Or some such, obviously we be wrong.

Yeah, one of the new suggestions is

NEW
LIVE EVENTS
THEATER!

Samadhi
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
And ten different perspectives isn't enough?? Here's a thought... Buy another account... Another $9.99 a month... Surely this game is worth $20 a month to you considering how much you play... (I mean, come on, you must play a LOT - 16 raids in 2.5 days?)

You can quit if you're bored, but don't ever bad-mouth Turbine again.. You're paying like 5 cents an hour (assuming 200 hours a month) to play here. You have gotten a LOT of enjoyment from Turbine for a very cheap price.

I play about 20 hours a week - so 80 hours a month. Not quite sure how you get 200...

If you would actually like to read what has been written, however, my point was that the cost is significantly more prohibitive than a second account would be. Not close, significantly more.

Turbine is trying to rebuild this game by focusing on the NPE. This is laudable, and even though it is preventing a LONG coming level cap increase, makes a lot of sense. Is it too much to ask that existing players get something out of this module as well without paying piles of $$ that not everyone has?

Turial
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM

http://www.zimbio.com/CERN+Hadron+Collider/articles/233/Large+Hadron+Collider+destroyed+world+yet

But we can always check here to see if its their fault...

Turial
09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Sorry gang, just not buying it. There is NO LIMIT on character slots. There is a limit on slots that come with your $15 / month fee. If you play so often that you have 10 toons capped, or at least active, then you should pony up the exta $15 per month for a second account. Then you can have 20 toons. The argument isn't how many character slots...the argument is how many character slots you get for $15 per month. 10 sounds reasonable to me for all but the top tier of active players, and in "cost per hour played" terms, even if they paid the extra $15 per month they are getting a ridiculously great entertainment deal.

/clap

Well put.

Samadhi
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
/clap

Well put.

Yes, but, the question is a) Is it in Turbine's best interests to keep its existing player base with piles of alts happy by allowing us to continue to go alt crazy vs b) Is it in Turbine's best interests to try to force higher profits from these people through extravagant transfer fees and/or second accounts?

Apparently, they have chosen B, and they have chosen poorly.

apacheizm23
09-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Sure is,,thats what I was gonna do till I just read this.I gotta feeling tho one day I may have to use premium services to make another character,which is ok by me I like this game.

Shaamis
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
When news of the server merge came out, I was one of the one who made extra characters on each server, for mules, and masterminded some charcter builds.

Fast forward to now, I deleted 90% of them, because it was either just a stupid name, flawed character build, or whatever. I only played a few of them after 1st level, so no real time involved was lost.

I guess I also was thinking new races/classes would eventually cause me to delete the extra slots anyway, so no harm on my end.

I only regret deleting a few characters, but they have always been replaced with characters even more fun. and I have their memories.

as far as the slot discussion......

I think the reason they are getting rid of the slot upgrade with favor concept, and giving everyone 10 slots, is because of the coding issues they have not been able to iron out completely.

Rather than continue to deal with it, they have eliminated all of that code, and made it uniform=without flaws.

The only thing wrong with this are all of the players who had played when slots were few, and characters were deleted to stay at that reduced number. .

Compensation?

There can be none in the realm of additional character slots, if they make the coding uniform, and allow everyone the same slots, but other forms of compensation are possible.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a pool of slots per account, as well as favor effective across all servers.

20 slots /account sounds about right.

Gunga
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, but, the question is a) Is it in Turbine's best interests to keep its existing player base with piles of alts happy by allowing us to continue to go alt crazy vs b) Is it in Turbine's best interests to try to force higher profits from these people through extravagant transfer fees and/or second accounts?

Huh. I see the whole situation differently:

A) If we do cool stuff, people will complain.
B) If we don't do cool stuff, people will complain.
C) Samadhi will complain.
D) All of the above.

They've obviously chosen D; what other choice is there really?

Lorien_the_First_One
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
First off, thanks for the extra slot.

Can you clarify this? post transfer if the transfer brought them from 10 to 11 slots and they deleted one would they be back to the 10 cap or be able to now build 11 on that server?

Secondly... will Turbine ever as a Premium Service consider either

For an additional One Time or monthly fee all us to pay for extra slots?
An ability to pass the 32 pt build abilty on to a second account paid from the same credit card

Borror0
09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Is it in Turbine's best interests to try to force higher profits from these people through extravagant transfer fees and/or second accounts?

Not really. They have chosen poorly for you.

It's quite reasonable to have 10 character slots when you have 10 different classes. (Of course, when they're going to add a new class or race, they should add an extra slot to gain most benefit out of their implementation.)

They have chosen poorly only if they lost money out of it. Maybe you get frustrated and leave. Then, they will have lost your money. However, if two other players accept the limit and buy another account to get more characters... they will have gained money out of it. Not to forget that adding those slots has a cost. It's all about profit versus expense.

Only they know if it was a bad move, but if you want extra characters why don't you pay for it?

Shaamis
09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I would pay for a second account IF the favor from my primary account could be effective on it.

That's my only argument. I earned it, and if I want to spend $$$ on a second account, I should get it on that too. Same credit card #, same account information, same password, should get same benefits.

Beherit_Baphomar
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Ive read very little of this post, but what I gather is some are complaining about post/pre server merge and
character slots having to be deleted.

Nothings changed there. You had 500 characters, to roll a new one you had to delete down to 9. Now you
have to delete down to 10. You've gotten an extra slot. Be grateful.

Im very happy with another slot, its something we've been asking for.

Deathseeker
09-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I would pay for a second account IF the favor from my primary account could be effective on it.

That's my only argument. I earned it, and if I want to spend $$$ on a second account, I should get it on that too. Same credit card #, same account information, same password, should get same benefits.

Fair point...

rfachini
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
One extra slot that you don't have to unlock is a good addition. It's free, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (Although the Trojans should have ignored that advice.) I'm above ten on my home server so it doesn't really benefit me, but I'm happy for the people that it helps.

Paying for a transfer has always been a workaround for buying an extra character slot. I asked about that as soon as the service was advertised.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Tolero, I'm glad you're spunky and all, but...what the heck is that thing in your sig supposed to be? Is it what a beholder looks like after too many tankard's of Old Sully's?

Steiner-Davion
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Actually, the right sentence should be:

"The CERN was trying to recreate the conditions present just a instant after the Big Bang to enlarge their knowledge about elementary particles, underground near the France-Switzerland border. Some may think that the experience will create mini-blackholes. While it's a possibility, it is not a great danger. In fact, blackholes are created within the Sun everyday but they crash to their own gravity. It is safe to assume the same will occur about the blackholes created within the LHC."

Shortly put, they may create a blackhole that will wipe us all, but current knowledge would indicate that not. The risks with this experiment are the same as any experiment as there is always a part of unknown. But really, those quoting Nostradamus and crying the end of the world are overreacting. There have been similar experiment in the past, just not at that power level.

Personnally I was not overly worried that the world was gonna end or anything armegeddon like. I just it was kind of ironic. Besides we all know that the world will end on 4/8/15 at 16:23:42 hours, or translated as: April 8th, 2015 at 4:23:42pm.

Steiner-Davion
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Tolero, I'm glad you're spunky and all, but...what the heck is that thing in your sig supposed to be? Is it what a beholder looks like after too many tankard's of Old Sully's?

Might want to head over to www.DDOCast.com (http://www.DDOCast.com) and check out Jerry's post about it. Not 100% sure that is what it is, but ....

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Personnally I was not overly worried that the world was gonna end or anything armegeddon like. I just it was kind of ironic. Besides we all know that the world will end on 4/8/15 at 16:23:42 hours, or translated as: April 8th, 2015 at 2:23:42pm.
You're way, way off.

Everyone knows the world will end on January 19, 2038 at 3:14:07 GMT.

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Not really. They have chosen poorly for you.

It's quite reasonable to have 10 character slots when you have 10 different classes. (Of course, when they're going to add a new class or race, they should add an extra slot to gain most benefit out of their implementation.)

They have chosen poorly only if they lost money out of it. Maybe you get frustrated and leave. Then, they will have lost your money. However, if two other players accept the limit and buy another account to get more characters... they will have gained money out of it. Not to forget that adding those slots has a cost. It's all about profit versus expense.

Only they know if it was a bad move, but if you want extra characters why don't you pay for it?
No, I think they have just chosen poorly. Yes there are 10 different classes, but you can multiclass those 10 different classes thousands of different ways and allocate stats and skill points in multitudes of ways and once you have chosen you cannot change them to try anything different.

In WoW you also get 10 slots and they have 9 classes, but there is a big difference: All the classes level up identically, the only difference is talents (which can be respeced at any time for a few gold) and gear. So I have zero problems with the number of slots in WoW, but IMO the number we have in DDO is completely inadequate.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
No, I think they have just chosen poorly. Yes there are 10 different classes, but you can multiclass those 10 different classes thousands of different ways and allocate stats and skill points in multitudes of ways and once you have chosen you cannot change them to try anything different.

In WoW you also get 10 slots and they have 9 classes, but there is a big difference: All the classes level up identically, the only difference is talents (which can be respeced at any time for a few gold) and gear. So I have zero problems with the number of slots in WoW, but IMO the number we have in DDO is completely inadequate.

Even heard of that yellow orb?

Cold_Stele
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Dear Turbine

I'd be happy to buy a second account if I could transfer favor to it.

I don't think I'm the only one.

I was going to work out some way of doing it to prevent expoitation, but then I realised - you're the ones who'll double their revenue, YOU work out the details ;)

Cold_Stele
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Even heard of that yellow orb?

That's the one next to the focus orb right?

Borror0
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
That's the one next to the focus orb right?

Don't know. I heard there was a bunch of white fulffy things nearby. It's also on a blue background... seems not likely.

But it's maybe an unfounded rumor.

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Don't know. I heard there was a bunch of white fulffy things nearby. It's also on a blue background... seems not likely.

But it's maybe an unfounded rumor.
Sweet, veiled personal attacks. Not sure what I did to deserve that... I appreciate it. :rolleyes: :D

Gunga
09-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Dear Turbine

I'd be happy to buy a second account if I could transfer favor to it.

I don't think I'm the only one.

Two. /signed

Sweet, veiled personal attacks. Not sure what I did to deserve that... I appreciate it. :rolleyes: :D

I know what you did.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Seriously, do you really need have the time to gear, play and enjoy all of your 10 toons? Say you do Shroud, Hound and Vision back to back, that's 30 raids within 2 days and 18 hours! Say a 15 minutes Reaver, 30 minutes Hound, 45 minutes Shroud and 30 minutes Vision incluging all the time to get ready and started that's 2 hours per character so that's spending at least 30&#37; of your time playing DDO.

Obviously, that doesn't include doing other quests, chatting or consulting these forums.

So yes, maybe you need some fresh air.

4elements
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
1 extra slot does not impress me, sorry. Add 4 or 5 slots and then we'll talk about progress.

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Seriously, do you really need have the time to gear, play and enjoy all of your 10 toons? Say you do Shroud, Hound and Vision back to back, that's 30 raids within 2 days and 18 hours! Say a 15 minutes Reaver, 30 minutes Hound, 45 minutes Shroud and 30 minutes Vision incluging all the time to get ready and started that's 2 hours per character so that's spending at least 30% of your time playing DDO.

Obviously, that doesn't include doing other quests, chatting or consulting these forums.
Obviously you have no clue what I am doing. Or in this case not doing.

I have 5 characters which were capped at 14 after GH. When they capped I pretty much stopped playing them. I didn't see the point of playing a character for zero XP. So I had 5 of my 10 slots locked up with characters that I wasn't playing, the other 4 "real slots" had various lower level characters (10, 9, 7, 5), and I had a mule in the magic bugged 10th slot.

After the abbott mod launched with no cap bump I cancelled and was gone for the better part of 6 months (I guess you didn't notice).

I resubbed with the 6 month discount plan last April, but as of yet still have not really played much at all. None of my 5 "main" characters have even reached level 16. I'm don't think any of them have even attained another rank. None of them have completed all the shroud prereqs. So no I have not been gearing up those characters with tons of shroud gear, never did the hound or vision. All I've done is a couple gianthold runs for scales and a small handful of reaver runs (and we all know how tough that one is).

Anyway they release Monks and I wanted to try one. Gee all my slots are full and they had at some point took away that 10th slot, so I had to blow away the mule and the 5th level to be able to create one. I wasn't particularly happy with him after playing him for 4 levels, so I wanted to try one of the other variations... now I would have to blow him away (I really wanted to "compare") or blow away a 7th level character. Well I haven't played at all since.

So no, for me it has nothing to do with having time to get every single slot filled with a capped uber geared character... it has to do with being able to try different builds without blowing away my modest level characters.

I think someone needs to stay on topic.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
After the abbott mod launched with no cap bump I cancelled and was gone for the better part of 6 months (I guess you didn't notice).
Would you be surprised if I told you I did?

Anyway they release Monks and I wanted to try one. Gee all my slots are full and they had at some point took away that 10th slot, so I had to blow away the mule and the 5th level to be able to create one. I wasn't particularly happy with him after playing him for 4 levels, so I wanted to try one of the other variations... now I would have to blow him away (I really wanted to "compare") or blow away a 7th level character. Well I haven't played at all since.

So no, for me it has nothing to do with having time to get every single slot filled with a capped uber geared character... it has to do with being able to try different builds without blowing away my modest level characters.

What's the problem with that? You don't play them!!

Not adding an extra character slot was a mistake, but they are fixing it. You should be saying 'Better late than never', not whining about the lack of slots.

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Would you be surprised if I told you I did?
Didn't think anyone noticed. :)

What's the problem with that? You don't play them!!
Truth. But mostly I got frustrated over the slot limit preventing me from being able to try out the Monks the way I wanted without blowing away characters I didn't want to blow away.

Or do you just think because I'm not playing them right this minute I should just have no problem with blowing them away?

Not adding an extra character slot was a mistake, but they are fixing it. You should be saying 'Better late than never', not whining about the lack of slots.
Well part of it is that I was never happy with the decision to merge 3 to 1 and not allow a higher number of slots as a result. We should have at least 17 slots if not 21, but taking them all away and then graciously granting us one (then two) extra was completely pathetic.

But yeah, I do agree... better late than never.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Truth. But mostly I got frustrated over the slot limit preventing me from being able to try out the Monks the way I wanted without blowing away characters I didn't want to blow away.

As I said, that was a mistake of theirs. At least they recognize it and are fixing it right now.

Or do you just think because I'm not playing them right this minute I should just have no problem with blowing them away?
More that you shouldn't complain about deleting characters you're getting no enjoyment from.

That's like complaining you have to break up with your current girlfriend to get a new one. A bit silly, isn't it?

Well part of it is that I was never happy with the decision to merge 3 to 1 and not allow a higher number of slots as a result.

The only problem with the merger is those who where bad lucky enough to play on two servers that got merged together.

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
More that you shouldn't complain about deleting characters you're getting no enjoyment from.

That's like complaining you have to break up with your current girlfriend to get a new one. A bit silly, isn't it?
Not at all... why do I need to "break up"? Never said I wasn't enjoying them, when I want to.

Some days I want to play my high level guys, some days I can't find anything I want to do there, but see something down in the 8-10 range that I would like to do, some days I want to play a lowbie in WW or TR or whatever.

Blowing away my 5 did have one adverse effect... I had no one in the 3BC range when they released that.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Not at all... why do I need to "break up"?

Because there's a limit to how many you can have.

You're telling me that 4-5 highbies and 5-6 lowbies aren't enough for you? You need more?

Riddikulus
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM

You're telling me that 4-5 highbies and 5-6 lowbies aren't enough for you? You need more?
Yes. Well more accurately I did need more until I gave up on Monks. :D

I have 5 high level (15's). I would never delete them. Four of them are even 28 point builds to give you an idea of my dedication to not deleting them.

I have a level 11 Sorc who was doing the mid level stuff. I have a level 10 broken batbuild which I don't play anymore but he's too high level for me to delete. I have a level 7 Barb. And I had a 5th level halfling cleric (that medic build) which I had to delete to try the Monk, which I subsequently gave up on and deleted so now there's an open slot. But I can't get that cleric back. Maybe someday I'll roll him up again.

Edit: I guess you can call me anti-permadeath. I just don't get those guys being able to blow away mid to high level characters on principle like that.

Gunga
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes. Well more accurately I did need more until I gave up on Monks. :D

I have 5 high level (15's). I would never delete them. Four of them are even 28 point builds to give you an idea of my dedication to not deleting them.

I have a level 11 Sorc who was doing the mid level stuff. I have a level 10 broken batbuild which I don't play anymore but he's too high level for me to delete. I have a level 7 Barb. And I had a 5th level halfling cleric (that medic build) which I had to delete to try the Monk, which I subsequently gave up on and deleted so now there's an open slot. But I can't get that cleric back. Maybe someday I'll roll him up again.

How'd you pick such a perfect name?

Borror0
09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I just don't get those guys being able to blow away mid to high level characters on principle like that.
So, you want more slots because you hate to delete characters you don't play? That's little backwards as an argument.

Listen, I'm sure Turbine would love to give us infinite character slots if they would have illimited funds and manpower. I'm sure they would love to develop content so fast we'd never see the cap on more than one character. I'm sure they would to see complaints never staying on the forums longer than a week unless those are complaints they disagree with or if they are complaints that would enter in conflict with what others want of the game (can't satisfy everyone).

...but none of that can happen. In life, you got to make choices.

DoctorWhofan
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Personnally I was not overly worried that the world was gonna end or anything armegeddon like. I just it was kind of ironic. Besides we all know that the world will end on 4/8/15 at 16:23:42 hours, or translated as: April 8th, 2015 at 2:23:42pm.

Oh good, got time to post, then.

Now that trouble is behind me, I still cannot believe people are UPSET about the slot. Granted, shoulda happened during the Monk Mod, but that is neither here or there.

I have posted that I am over my account by three. Plus, I have 2nd account that's getting full. I simply cannot throw things away. Some of those "server merge" toons are still around, Kaname, Oncoming, Allura. Kaname is currently a 28 pt build 10rogue/1 ranger elf on an account that had 1750 favour before the merge. I'll be darned if I erase her! Now, with the 10th slot, I'm cool. And Now I can save Oncoming, too, with my original plan to move #2 cleric to Khyber. And now I can re-roll several toons I was looking on doing for some time.

Regardless, of all of that, I have a great philosophy about not being rude about gifts. They didn't but they did. Even if Great Aunt Maey gave mye that horrid perfume again for Christmas, I still nod and say thank you. For me, Turbine didn't give perfume, but a gift certificate for $10 at Suncoast, not enough to buy anime outright, but that's less money I have to spend.

At the worse case, there is now a little more room to play with when you pick and choose who lives or who dies, toonwise. THe best case, yes! Monk trying it out now! Regardless, shoving the perfume in Great Aunt May's face, stomping your foot and throwing a big fit because she didn't get what you want won't make Christmas Dinner any easier to attend, especially if you are sitting accross from her.

Borror0
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Regardless, shoving the perfume in Great Aunt May's face, stomping your foot and throwing a big fit because she didn't get what you want won't make Christmas Dinner any easier to attend, especially if you are sitting accross from her.
Exactly, if we're not thankful when Turbine makes a good move... then they are just going to get frustrated about it.

They did address the main issue. Their intend wasn't to give everyone more slots to play with, just to let everyone try out monks if they nine character they loved.

Uska
09-11-2008, 11:08 PM

You loose 16:23:42 is 4:23:42 not 2:23:42 you are trying to cheat us out of two hours.

Kylstrem
09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
if this decision is purely financially based (i.e. adding slots increases GREATLY the cost to Turbine to support the extra slots) then I can understand where they are coming from.

But if this trickling out slots is based on some marketing decision, then I don't understand it at all.

They are trying to attract more people to the game, and keep their current base:

1) Attract more people: These new people need people to play with. Sure the hirelings might help, but they will still want to play with actual people. Veteran players can fulfill this role IF THEY HAVE OPEN CHARACTER SLOTS TO CREATE NEW TOONS.

2) Keep current base: These are veteran players who want to try new builds, run through new lower level content (at proper level), or just get tired of playing capped characters. New slots keep them interested and playing and not cancelling.

If it's cheap and easy to add slots, then give them to your customer base. It only helps you (Turbine) in the long run.

If it's not cheap and easy, then figure out how to make it so.

Zenako
09-12-2008, 08:25 AM

Let me chime in. I'm in much the same boat, and the answer is yes.

I play almost every character I have within a 2 week window in various quests and raids. Many of the lowbies (refugees from other servers - I had 1+ characters on every server back before the merge with most being 3-4 level on my non main server) are getting played a lot more now with fellow guild members who are rolling up lowbies to try different things. If it were not for those guys, I would not have anyone level suitable to play with them.

There are two aspects of the game, and the social one is the one that keeps at least me, coming back for more. I did not and could not try out the monk on my main server without deleting characters I was and actively am playing.

Borror0
09-12-2008, 08:27 AM
I did not and could not try out the monk on my main server without deleting characters I was and actively am playing.
That's because of the merger mess up, not the lack of character slots. At least, from what I'm getting... (Not sure if I get it right.)

Lorien_the_First_One
09-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Well actually the $10/month deal is gone.

But I would have done that whent he $10/month deal came out except that I didn't want to regring 32 point builds...if they gave us to deal with that then the second account option would be an option.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Seriously, do you really need have the time to gear, play and enjoy all of your 10 toons? Say you do Shroud, Hound and Vision back to back, that's 30 raids within 2 days and 18 hours! Say a 15 minutes Reaver, 30 minutes Hound, 45 minutes Shroud and 30 minutes Vision incluging all the time to get ready and started that's 2 hours per character so that's spending at least 30% of your time playing DDO.

Who says you have to have all chars "geared" with constant raid runs? Some of us just want to play and play different chars based on our mood. And once we hit cap, we play them only when we are in the mood and want to start new chars...which of course we can't do once we run out of spots.

The less of a grinder you are the more likely you need more slots.

Steiner-Davion
09-12-2008, 09:12 AM
You loose 16:23:42 is 4:23:42 not 2:23:42 you are trying to cheat us out of two hours.

Opps my bad.

Does anyone recognize those numbers?

Eelpout
09-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Nm

Riddikulus
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Who says you have to have all chars "geared" with constant raid runs? Some of us just want to play and play different chars based on our mood. And once we hit cap, we play them only when we are in the mood and want to start new chars...which of course we can't do once we run out of spots. The less of a grinder you are the more likely you need more slots.Agreed... you said it much better than I was able to.

Coldin
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Opps my bad.

Does anyone recognize those numbers?

Hmm, doesn't Lost (the TV Show) use those numbers?

binnsr
09-12-2008, 10:01 AM

That's the only (relevant) thing that Google found for me .. I've never watched more than 5-10 minutes of that show at a time, so I wouldn't know other than what my good friend Google could tell me :)

Borror0
09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Who says you have to have all chars "geared" with constant raid runs? Some of us just want to play and play different chars based on our mood. And once we hit cap, we play them only when we are in the mood and want to start new chars...which of course we can't do once we run out of spots.

The less of a grinder you are the more likely you need more slots.

My point was : Do you really have 11 moods?

Samadhi
09-12-2008, 10:39 AM
if this decision is purely financially based (i.e. adding slots increases GREATLY the cost to Turbine to support the extra slots) then I can understand where they are coming from.

But if this trickling out slots is based on some marketing decision, then I don't understand it at all.

They are trying to attract more people to the game, and keep their current base:

1) Attract more people: These new people need people to play with. Sure the hirelings might help, but they will still want to play with actual people. Veteran players can fulfill this role IF THEY HAVE OPEN CHARACTER SLOTS TO CREATE NEW TOONS.

2) Keep current base: These are veteran players who want to try new builds, run through new lower level content (at proper level), or just get tired of playing capped characters. New slots keep them interested and playing and not cancelling.

If it's cheap and easy to add slots, then give them to your customer base. It only helps you (Turbine) in the long run.

If it's not cheap and easy, then figure out how to make it so.

This is, IMO, exactly what we should be focusing our discussion on. It is difficult for me to see that adding slots is that much of a cost burden on Turbine. Hence, my belief that this decision was made purely to attempt to force people into 2nd accounts or expensive premiums. This move, at the risk of alienating hardcore players, was imo a really really bad one. You can insult all you like, but I haven't seen any logical reason why 12-15 slots is going to cost Turbine that much more than going to 10 did.

Riddikulus
09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
My point was : Do you really have 11 moods?Now you are just being argumentative. Consider that there are at minimum four level bands (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16), and three general classes (melee, caster, utility) you have twelve potential "moods" right there and that is with pretty broad catagories.

Borror0
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Now you are just being argumentative.
I'm the one being argumentative when you're the one complaining about a 'present'? Anyway...

Zenako
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm the one being argumentative when you're the one complaining about a 'present'? Anyway...

I think it is more like people trying to make it clear that this present only benfits a portion of the player base.

A) For all those players who only have one or two (or even a handful) of characters total, going from 9 to 10 is irrelevant. Just more unused slots.

B) For all those players with over the slot limit it also has minimal benefit. Just means that they would have to delete one fewer character than before, and since they preferred keeping existing characters already, this is not much of present for them. (Kinda like if we had Chocalate Anniversary cakes which ONLY could be used for a +1 tome of your choice (vs the other functions it did have), that would have been useless to someone who had already eaten a tome for every stat. For many of my characters that is now true.

C) For those players who already had zero hesitation about deleting and rerolling toons all the time. This change is a minor benefit to them, since they get to keep one more character type/style/build in their rotation. They keep a core 4 or 5 (often capped) and are always building new things, often deleted within a few weeks. Those are the same players who often have to beg out on mid level quests since all they have are some capped toons and a few level 5 and under experiements.

D) Now for those players who were right at or near the limit, this increase can be very useful to them. Instead of just holding off on building/filling that ninth slot for something they might like better, they can play around with it, since they know that pretty soon a 10th slot will become available for the same purpose they had for the ninth slot.

I am sure we could debate in circles about the relative sizes of the above groups, but from personal knowledge I play with people who fit all 4 groups and about in equal numbers.

Samadhi
09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I am sure we could debate in circles about the relative sizes of the above groups, but from personal knowledge I play with people who fit all 4 groups and about in equal numbers.

That is a very true point. Even if we assume equal representation, though, this change is really only affecting 25% of the population (although them a lot).

Honestly, my bet is that A is the most common - for them any increase is irrelevant. However, B applies to the majority of the folks that I know left the already and several still holding on with me; and it is for them that I argue - is it really that cost prohibitive??

senderoff
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I want to take a second to thank everyone involved in creating and maintaining this excellent and very fun game to play. Just so you guys know, I am a schoolteacher, and used to play AD & D as a kid. I read so many criticisms that very infrequently do I see any praise. I have heard that DDO was not doing very well as a commercial venture for quite a while. I imagine that it was the dedication from the developers as fans of Dungeons and Dragons that kept the game going when other more profitable online games threatend to dominate the market. Imagine if of all games, Dungeons and Dragons, had not online place in which life long fans could play? This game was the one from which all other role playing games spawned. I believe that technical, game-play, and commercial hurdles that people overcome to keep DDO viable are challenging (including the test server players). Instead of offering empty criticism, I am offering simple praise for some information regarding the next module. Thank you. To everyone else, I would like to request you voice your disappointment with specific issues regarding ddo along with some constructive advice or desires.

look for me on Kyber, I think? Turwae Skillbottom, Seegar Arrowraught, et al.

Uska
09-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Ahh thats why I didnt know the show just never interested me.

Coldin
09-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Ahh thats why I didnt know the show just never interested me.

It goes in waves really. Sometimes it's really good and the story is moving along, other times it's just a whole bunch of pointless events and nothing really happens.

Seneca_Windforge
09-13-2008, 02:06 AM
There are a few things that I think would be good moves on Turbine's part (a/b/c represent different options/suggestions, not cumulative changes):

1a. Increase character slots to at least 15.

1b. Increase character slots to 10 or current number of characters on a given server.

1c. Add the ability to permanently add additional slots to an account/server for a one time, reasonable fee ($10-15 each at the most).

9-10 slots obviously isn't working for a lot of people. The more slots you have, the smaller the number of people who will be capped out will be, and the more satisfied customers you will have. More character slots is a complete and utter non-issue for those who only have a few characters, so you aren't hurting anyone by increasing the number, only helping those who want more slots.

2a. Make getting 1750 favor unlock 32 point builds account-wide, not just server-wide.

2b. Allow 28 point builds to upgrade to 32 points and just make 32 points the new baseline for everyone. The whole rich-get-richer way the system works just hurts new and less experienced players anyway.

2c. Give people a small number of free transfers every so often (2-3/year, maybe) so that they can easily transfer a 1750 to an empty server to unlock 32 point builds without having to shell out serious cash.

While I like have 32 point builds, the whole way this works has rubbed me the wrong way from day one. It just means that new players, who are already at a disadvantage in the game in so many ways, have one more thing against them when trying to compete alongside the veterans. On top of that, it actively discourages people from going to other servers, because they won't have the 32 point builds waiting for them when they get there and most people don't want to grind out 1750 favor again.

3. Add a re-roll function that allows you to delete a character and immediately make a new one, so that people who are over the limit don't have to delete multiple characters just to re-roll one.

This would satisfy some of the problems that some people are having now, and it wouldn't mean increasing character slots.

Riddikulus
09-13-2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.plaync.com/us/support/doc_495.html?prod=67
http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/archives/2008/04/optional_charac.html

To summarize: You start with 12 slots (along with a special limited time deal for 2 extra ones) and you get a free additional slot for every 12 months of paid subscription, and you can buy even more slots for $5.99 each, or 2 for $9.99, or 5 for $19.99.

Do you still think Turbine is being generous by bumping us to 10 slots?

Samadhi
09-13-2008, 01:11 PM

To summarize: You start with 12 slots (along with a special limited time deal for 2 extra ones) and you get a free additional slot for every 12 months of paid subscription, and you can buy even more slots for $5.99 each, or 2 for $9.99, or 5 for $19.99.

If you notice the tendency is to ignore any well thought out portion of posts.

ahpook
09-13-2008, 01:12 PM

Great deal, except that you are stuck playing CoH instead of DDO. :p

I don't see many people saying that its generous, they are saying its an improvement. Most of us here have been happy to pay our $ for 9 slots, now we will get 10 slots for the same $. Pretty simple, if you were content before you should be happier now. If you were not happy before the announcement .... why are you here? Life is to short to be ****ed off over leisure time.

Samadhi
09-13-2008, 01:30 PM

I don't see many people saying that its generous, they are saying its an improvement. Most of us here have been happy to pay our $ for 9 slots, now we will get 10 slots for the same $. Pretty simple, if you were content before you should be happier now. If you were not happy before the announcement .... why are you here? Life is to short to be ****ed off over leisure time.

Why am I here?

1) The combat system is fantastic and, from what I have seen elsewhere, not yet beat.

2) Most of my other options for MMOs have abysmal character uniqueness. This is, was, and always will be a #1 point in DDO. This is also the number one thing I don't like about the game, because it has been so long since I have been able to make new characters. It is because of how much I like the game that, the #1 thing I dislike about it, I will continue to dislike continually until either it is remedied or I leave, whether that be tomorrow or a year from now.

So if I wasn't happ before the announcement... why am I here? Because I'm praying that management will reconsider trying to force people into second accounts.

Inspire
09-13-2008, 01:45 PM
My point was : Do you really have 11 moods?

I Have 81722 Moods... My Characters Slots Should Resemble That:D

Riddikulus
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
CoH has it's good points... like character customization ability which is second to none. I would love to have even half the options in DDO that CoH had. You want a fat paladin? No problem! Blue? Sure!

But yeah beyond that CoH was awfully repetitive.

Why can't I be unhappy with the number of slots before and after _and_ be happy with other aspects of the game? Is everyone so black and white? Or blue and red? ;)

Mithran
09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm not going to be happy until Turbine convinces Naomi Watts that she's making a serious error in marrying anyone other than me.

arikka_hador
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
A) For all those players who only have one or two (or even a handful) of characters total, going from 9 to 10 is irrelevant. Just more unused slots.

It's not irrelevant! It's Potential! :D

query
09-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I lost a slot somehow promised not to be lost, now it's gained back. Fortunately I had the insight to reserve a monk slot for the mod 7 as I expected as much to happen then slotwise (as well as saving my chosen name of course.)

On the character slots issue, I'm closing the books since my main number of PC's were on Thelanis and Sarlona. I'm happy with the solutions offered, transfers included. Thank you very much.

Pity I STILL can't greater teleport to Meridia. Maybe if they got rid of that redundant Portable Hole space? (*HINT*)

sda3
09-19-2008, 08:09 AM

Boooo

Dude, they were VERY clear before the merge that you would have that problem if you let your characters merge. Delete and conform or don't create new characters.

Steiner-Davion
09-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Dude, they were VERY clear before the merge that you would have that problem if you let your characters merge. Delete and conform or don't create new characters.

Still does not make it any more right though.

Allistair
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Right now I have 2 accounts both with max characters created.
One is iver the limit due to Turbine's mess with the merge.
There is not one character I want to delete. I enjoy playing all off them at various times.
It also means I can run whatever level quests others in my guild are running.

Conform? No way. That's as bad as just saying I quit.
Never give up.
Turbine screwed up and needs to make it right.
There is no reason why we can't get a "re-roll" button and be able to delete ONE character and make a new
one if we want to, without losing multiple characters.
It was a poorly implemented plan on Turbine's part.
Apparently the staff at Turbine has never heard of the 7 P rule.

Proper Prior planning prevents **** poor performance.

Deathseeker
09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Right now I have 2 accounts both with max characters created.
One is iver the limit due to Turbine's mess with the merge.
There is not one character I want to delete. I enjoy playing all off them at various times.
It also means I can run whatever level quests others in my guild are running.

Conform? No way. That's as bad as just saying I quit.
Never give up.
Turbine screwed up and needs to make it right.
There is no reason why we can't get a "re-roll" button and be able to delete ONE character and make a new
one if we want to, without losing multiple characters.
It was a poorly implemented plan on Turbine's part.
Apparently the staff at Turbine has never heard of the 7 P rule.

Proper Prior planning prevents **** poor performance.

Unfortunately, my guess is that your situation (2 full accounts on multiple servers with all completely meaningful toons) is such a rarity it probably was not worth the effort required to deal with it.

I still think the answer to this is very simple...Turbine should allow a free move of a 32 point build to a second PAID account. That would open up 32 pt builds on a second account, and allow you unlimited slots. You'd have to fork out the extra $15 per month of course for every 10 slots if you want that privilage, but I wouldn't fault them for wanting to make more money from players who are playing enough hours per week to actually need that many slots. Seems like a reasonable compromise that is fair to all and not that hard to implement.

Allistair
09-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately, my guess is that your situation (2 full accounts on multiple servers with all completely meaningful toons) is such a rarity it probably was not worth the effort required to deal with it.

For the record, it is not multiple servers, it was BEFORE the merge while I was trying out servers looking for a home.
Now they are maxed on MY Server.
I have no interest in playing on other servers.
This is where my friends and guild are and have been for 2+ years.
No interested in abandoning them.

Deathseeker
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
For the record, it is not multiple servers, it was BEFORE the merge while I was trying out servers looking for a home.
Now they are maxed on MY Server.
I have no interest in playing on other servers.
This is where my friends and guild are and have been for 2+ years.
No interested in abandoning them.

You wouldn't have to. You could pay for a 2nd account, locate it on the same server, and you'd be all set. I just think they should allow you to relocate your toons for free. They get the additional monthly revenue, and you get your additional slots. Sounds like a win win to me.

Just curious, how did you end up with the extra toons on one server if you didnt originally have them on 2 servers? I thought it was from having toons on 2 servers that merged together?

ArkoHighStar
09-19-2008, 11:48 AM
You wouldn't have to. You could pay for a 2nd account, locate it on the same server, and you'd be all set. I just think they should allow you to relocate your toons for free. They get the additional monthly revenue, and you get your additional slots. Sounds like a win win to me.

Just curious, how did you end up with the extra toons on one server if you didnt originally have them on 2 servers? I thought it was from having toons on 2 servers that merged together?

I think what he was saying is that he does not play on multiple servers and that the only reason he is over his limit is that before he decided on a final server he created characters on a few servers which ended up getting merged into the one he is on now and he continued to play them after the merge

edit: and it looks like he already has 2 accounts so he has 20+ characters capable of playing on one server

Deathseeker
09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I think what he was saying is that he does not play on multiple servers and that the only reason he is over his limit is that before he decided on a final server he created characters on a few servers which ended up getting merged into the one he is on now and he continued to play them after the merge

edit: and it looks like he already has 2 accounts so he has 20+ characters capable of playing on one server

Ok, makes sense. Same solution would still apply, just adding more accounts. If you want more than 20 toons on 2 accounts, buy a 3rd. They should just have a way to have 32 point builds on those new accounts that doesn't require a paid move of a character.

I think its reasonable on their part to put a limit on the number of toons you can have on a server before paying for another account.

ArkoHighStar
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, makes sense. Same solution would still apply, just adding more accounts. If you want more than 20 toons on 2 accounts, buy a 3rd. They should just have a way to have 32 point builds on those new accounts that doesn't require a paid move of a character.

I think its reasonable on their part to put a limit on the number of toons you can have on a server before paying for another account.

given that he has 2 full accounts I doubt he has an issue with running one character to 1750 favor. But yes a third account is the solution for him. The fact that he has 20+ characters and he is unwilling to delete any of them is not Turbine's fault.