PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Auction House Guy In Reaver Raid

Pyromaniac
08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Can you add an auction house guy in the reaver raid? Honestly it will give about half the group something to do during the reaver. Yes this is a serious post - as I'm in a reaver now...

Mhykke
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Or keep the theme of the tor and introduce a young dragon somewhere in there the rest of the group has to kill around the same time as the reaver or something.....

Pyromaniac
08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Can that young dragon hook me up with my auction house fix :)

Angelus_dead
08-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Can you add an auction house guy in the reaver raid? Honestly it will give about half the group something to do during the reaver. Yes this is a serious post - as I'm in a reaver now...
Sadly, that's quite true. An AH or other vendor would improve the raid- when it first came out, it was a job for 3 people, although it took a long time for most players to learn how (what with the free spellpoints to figure out, and the limited supply of people knowing Mastermind). Later updates have only made it easier, culminating with the astounding reduction in number of monsters from module 7.

Of course, there are other ways to fix it. One simple step would be to reduce it from a 12-man to 6-man instance, although it's obvious that the devs would never do that because it would mean admitting failure.

Another step would be to remove the free spellpoint charging mechanic, but that would be a horrible idea. It would increase the need to bring more characters into the raid, but only because the extra characters are more spellcasters who bring their own mana pools with them. It would force members of the raid to take turns being active- the first necromancer would kill elementals until he runs out of spellpoints, then he'd AFK and someone else takes over. (You'd never have two casters active at once, because that would cause them to waste mana zapping the same enemy)

Realistically, what they should do is:
1. Get more elementals to spawn, and more frequently. If they can't do this without overloading the instance with too many monsters, then give them an "unsummon" timer so they expire after a minute or two. Alternatively, add some other kinds of creatures Stormreaver can summon (Living Spells is one possibility, undead giants/skeletons is another)

2. Teach Stormreaver a real knockdown melee attack, such as Hill and Fire giants use constantly.

3. Teach Stormreaver the attack which kicks a small enemy far away, which the other Stormreaver in Tempest Spine uses.

4. Make the process of charging balls more directly controllable, such as orbs only getting charged if they're within a broad cone above the boss's ahead (no holding him in one spot for the whole 10 minutes)

5. Give Stormreaver a good ability to attack flying characters, both with melee and ranged.

6. Consider giving Madstone Rod some meaningful function, like it was apparently meant to have.

Turial
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Another step would be to remove the free spellpoint charging mechanic, but that would be a horrible idea. ....

They could reduce the sp given back by the charge and increase the time between ticks so that it does not fill 2400-ish sorcs up to full in a manner of seconds. Maybe cap it at 300-400 sp given back per charge.

They could also have the charge split into two-halves, 1) gain sp 2) prevent sp gaining, the two parts together resulting in the time that the original charge lasted. That way the caster would have to reset his charges by either going all the way to and over the final charge or by using the wand to remove the charges.

Jadeare
08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Stuff fixing the raid, put the AH guy in.

I usually turn auto run on and run into the corner where the wall meets the pillar. that way i don't take falling damage.

Obviously on my caster i turn all my meta magics on and see if i can get all the ele's.

Actually i think i may try and be the sole healer in Reaver on my rogue. That may be a challenge!

Lorien_the_First_One
08-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Realistically, what they should do is:
1. Get more elementals to spawn, and more frequently. If they can't do this without overloading the instance with too many monsters, then give them an "unsummon" timer so they expire after a minute or two. Alternatively, add some other kinds of creatures Stormreaver can summon (Living Spells is one possibility, undead giants/skeletons is another)

8 million air ellies wasn't fun to fight...but if they let him summon a variety of ellies (which somehow does happen in the next room) it would keep things more intesting.

2. Teach Stormreaver a real knockdown melee attack, such as Hill and Fire giants use constantly.

3. Teach Stormreaver the attack which kicks a small enemy far away, which the other Stormreaver in Tempest Spine uses..

Both good ideas

Aspenor
08-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Not too much can save this raid in my book. It's just plain boring.

maddmatt70
08-25-2008, 06:33 AM
How about spamming 3 reaver giants that you fight instead of just one and you have to kill all three at approximately the same time. Let's call them larry, moe, and curly.

Natalae
08-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Good idea but I nominate the names in no particular order...

Blah
Mhykke
Tot

And with some kind of beanie on their heads.

Slink
08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
6. Consider giving Madstone Rod some meaningful function, like it was apparently meant to have.

I have discovered a good use for this item. In VoD when the fighter/barb is cursed/madstoned. Far cheaper than all those curse pots/wands.

Thanx devs ;)

Riddikulus
08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Later updates have only made it easier, culminating with the astounding reduction in number of monsters from module 7.
Well I do think large part of the current problem is that we are mostly now level 16's taking on a level 14 raid, but yes once figured out it wasn't particularly hard for level 14's.

Better to just summon a variety of elementals. Air elementals are a casters job... melee pretty much are completely useless against them... I don't even bother trying to attack them anymore. Throwing out fire and earth elementals will give melee something to do. I would also amp up the elementals HD... especially on elite setting.

3. Teach Stormreaver the attack which kicks a small enemy far away, which the other Stormreaver in Tempest Spine uses.

4. Make the process of charging balls more directly controllable, such as orbs only getting charged if they're within a broad cone above the boss's ahead (no holding him in one spot for the whole 10 minutes)
Good ideas.

I would also just get rid of the "penalty box". The only thing more boring than standing around doing nothing in that raid is standing around doing nothing dead.

stockwizard5
08-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Well after carefully considering the intial suggestion and all the followons - I am going to side with the OP on this one.

Auction House Please

/signed

sirgog
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
8 million air ellies wasn't fun to fight...but if they let him summon a variety of ellies (which somehow does happen in the next room) it would keep things more intesting.

Both good ideas

I'd also be for having clusters of Fire Eles and Earth Eles summoned in there, just like the final room.

Melees are useless in there unless they get a charge and use Con damage weapons at the moment. Changing the Elementals would give them something (allbeit minor) to do.

oogly54
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
How about spamming 3 reaver giants that you fight instead of just one and you have to kill all three at approximately the same time. Let's call them larry, moe, and curly.

I HATE the "kill all these mobs at one time or they respawn" trick to make things more difficult. What reasoning is there tat a fire reaver and an ice flenser should be linked in death and life? They use this tick all the timeand it is just dumb. GoP, Tempest, Shroud (a little better with the crystal), etc. Things don't just come to life again because there buddy is still alive.

Aspenor
08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I'd also be for having clusters of Fire Eles and Earth Eles summoned in there, just like the final room.

Melees are useless in there unless they get a charge and use Con damage weapons at the moment. Changing the Elementals would give them something (allbeit minor) to do.

But then how would I cook dinner while getting a chance at raid loot???:rolleyes:

Angelus_dead
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I have discovered a good use for this item. In VoD when the fighter/barb is cursed/madstoned. Far cheaper than all those curse pots/wands.
Are you serious? I've never been able to remove Madstone with it, and I really tried.

Venar
08-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Couldn't he just ask help from other giants in the Tor? Add non-stop waves of deathwarded-giant, and the fun is back.

Saragon
08-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Here's a suggestion - How about leaving reaver the way it is and running something else instead of whining about it and claiming that it is broken? I personally hardly bother with that raid anymore but plenty of people do. I'm glad there is a raid out there for the more casual players to run quickly before the head off to work in the morning etc. If people would stop being so selfish and expecting all content to be geared towards what they want out of the game, they might be in a better position to see that a raid like reaver has done a lot to keep the interest of the large numbers of more casual players. Raiding does not have to be the sole domain of the hardcore players. If that's a rule in the 'mmo handbook', I'm glad the ddo devs decided to throw the book out. How can you not love the divesity of DDO's player base that makes it stand out against the ugliness you see in some other mmos?

Venar
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Saragon, it is okay for the raid to be easy.
The complain is that you hav usually about 8 players doing NOTHING. That can't be fun, even fo casual players.

Samadhi
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
How about the game spend less time working on old content? Unless the raid is broke, by broke implying unable to be completed, then leave it be and move on to bigger and better things..

Deathseeker
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I vote for making it a 6 man raid...

...and to really make it fun, add 3 or 4 of those chaos balls from Xoriat Cypher and Invaders. That would do wonders for those just standing in the corner. Muhahaha...

I_Bob
08-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree that it's good to have a raid that casual players can run and complete in a short amount of time. Not every raid needs to be a time sink. Lots of different people play DDO. Maybe making the main room similar to the back room in terms of various elementals would be good. Otherwise, leave it alone and spend time making new content. After having run it many times, it's also fun to give raid loot away to those who haven't run it much. Win win.

MrCow
08-25-2008, 11:42 AM
add 3 or 4 of those chaos balls from Xoriat Cypher and Invaders. That would do wonders for those just standing in the corner.

Naturally people will gravitate towards a different location to huddle in if they find it devoid of chaos orb pathing. The actual effect of adding the chaos orbs won't be all that major (much like how people gravitate towards fighting the Hound of Xoriat in Xorian Cipher at the door and not in the large room crawling with chaos orbs).

VirieSquichie
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
A chaos orb that's attracted to groups of characters would really change that raid's feel. Stormreaver gets himself a Roomba. At least if you're standing around being useless, you'd have to move occasionally to avoid the thing.

What gets me are the people who stand around doing nothing, in groups where the folks doing the work are struggling. I've seen wand-whip capable people hang back doing nothing while the sole cleric is getting drained trying to keep not only the tank but four (!) casters alive who all seemed to think they could get a charge at once. Never mind the cleric needing a charge...

Then there are the bored DPS squishies who decide to go chop some ankles, get aggro and lead the big guy back to the arch when they realize they've bitten off far more than they can chew...so he splash damages all the casters and the cleric(s) trying to get at the ankle biter.

This raid brings out the worst in a lot of people.

liamfrancais
08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Lets see put an AH vendor in so you have something to do, how about you go fight the reaver or some air elementals or is that to hard for you. Make it a six man raid, well you can go with 6 now but wait that will decrease the chances of a + 3 tome or the boots dropping. How about they put in three puzzles to solve so you can get special devices to help beat the end boss and if you don't complete these puzzles it will be near impossible to beat him, nah that would be too hard and no one would want to run a hard raid like that. Oh well guess AH vendor is the way to go because commerce should not be interrupted by a giant with a huge sword trying to kill you.

rawfocat
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
commerce should not be interrupted by a giant with a huge sword trying to kill you.

:)

Beherit_Baphomar
08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I vote y'all leave the Reaver alone.

Its my chance to make coffee, go for a smoke and possibly pull the Hotpockets out the micro...

Pyromaniac
08-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Although there are great suggestions in the thread, I truly would be happy with an AH vendor near the blue barrier. There really isn't much else to do if you're not on the primary melee or spell caster on the quest. Honestly running around trying to hurt air elementals with a melee weapon isn't really worth it if there's casters around.

Adding an AH vendor would be a quick and relatively easy thing to do and would take minimal reworking of the quest. This would also allow those who need to cook dinner during the raid a chance to do that, offending the least number of players.

So when I'm not running my clerics or caster....why not an AH vendor? I'm sure we can work it into the story somehow, maybe the giant likes the AH?

stockwizard5
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
/better idea

Let us grind little stones into little stones :D

Stone of Change FTW !!!!!

Pyromaniac
08-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I do put up LFMs now for crunching yellow stone groups, so technically that would take one of my weekly raids out of the game. I have had people join the group before so I haven't been soloing that quest.