PDA

View Full Version : Intimidate/AC Shroud Weapon advice

EazyWeazy
08-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm in the process of leveling my new Intimitank. He's been a blast so far and I'm pretty sure that I'm going really enjoy him at end game. That being the case, I am starting to think about what weapon can I make that will benefit him the most. He isn't a DPS guy so I want to maximize AC and his Intimidate skills. The build itself is also very stat intensive so I've thought about putting a +6 stat on the weapon. With that framework in mind here is what I've thought about so far and why.

PS I've been using Tihocan's loot planner for this. If you are not familiar it lets you select the attributes you want and narrows down what is available according to what you've selected, and then tells you how to build the item.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/index.php

1) Dwarven Axe - He's a Dwarf and needs the best DPS one hander without using a feat on Khopesh.
2) +4 AC insight bonus - Its an AC build
3) +7 Intimidate competency bonus (also has increased hardness & durability and +10 concentration) - Its an inimidate build and I can get +7 from a weapon that will stack with an item.

Here is where it gets a little open to suggestion really. I can choose from some +6 stat bonuses and some other stuff. I like the idea of opening some inventory slots by moving a stat item onto the weapon. I don't want to use CON or WIS however because the equipping/un-equipping of the item will result in loss of HP/SP. STR is something that I'll need regardless of the weapon I'm using, so I'm thinking DEX is the best stat to put on the weapon.

4) +6 DEX - Get my max DEX bonus and open an inventory slot for something else.
5) Icy Burst or +1 STR Exceptional bonus - Either way I get Elemental Mastery as a special effect. Would I be better served squeaking out an extra point of STR or just go for the burst knowing that I'll be critting on 19-20. Not sure the DPS will make much difference one way or the other.

Note: I don't have all the crafting jargon down. I have no idea really if this is pos, neg, pos or whatever. I'll worry about that after I figure out the enhancements I need on the weapon. What I'm looking for here is feedback as to whether or not the experts out there think this is something that will benefit my build, or I need to tweak something along the way, or not even bother and get a lightning strike weapon. hehe I appreciate the help and information. :)

Aspenor
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Both the intimidate bonus from a Tempered weapon and an enchanted item are a competency bonus, they do not stack.

EazyWeazy
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Both the intimidate bonus from a Tempered weapon and an enchanted item are a competency bonus, they do not stack.

If I'm reading this correctly then the +7 Intimidate on my weapon will not stack with a +15 Intimidate helm.

Ok then how about this...

1) Dwarven Axe
2) Shock
3) Good Blast
4) +6 DEX
5) +4 AC insight bonus
6) Lightning Strike :)

I get the +4 AC as well as DEX and lightning strike.

Korvek
08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
If I'm reading this correctly then the +7 Intimidate on my weapon will not stack with a +15 Intimidate helm.

1) Dwarven Axe
2) Shock
3) Good Blast
4) +6 DEX
5) +4 AC insight bonus

The +6 bonuses to stats only come on the first tier(save for Existential Stalemate's wisdom bonus), so you won't be able to have Shock if you want +6 Dex.

EazyWeazy
08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
The +6 bonuses to stats only come on the first tier(save for Existential Stalemate's wisdom bonus), so you won't be able to have Shock if you want +6 Dex.

Sorry, I messed that one up. I can choose either the +6 dex or the shock. I think in this case I'd go with the +6 Dex.

Aspenor
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM

1) Dwarven Axe
2) Shock
3) Good Blast
4) +6 DEX
5) +4 AC insight bonus

Pretty sure +6 stat on an item would disqualify Shock. You would need to have +6 dex, good blast, and +4 AC. Not sure if you really want to put +6 stat on a weapon to be honest....especially on a class where you'll want to do some damage.

I went mineral II +4 AC at tier III, with holy and acid burst.

edit: ahh you noticed...

Thrudh
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I would suggest a air/fire combo if you want to go fully defensive

both air and fire can get you Dex +6 and exceptional Dex +1... air can also get you a bonus to your Charisma skills (i.e. intimidate)

The nice thing is that those two together get you a 2/day displacement clickable... very good for defense...

Then, if you dual-shard the large ingrediants (takes a LOT of large ingrediants tho), you can get the +4 Insight Bonus AND have a permanent 20% blur...

So, you could have a +7 Dex, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement weapon

or a +6 Dex, +2 to CHA skills, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement weapon

I'm building a weapon like this myself although I want SOME DPS, so I'm going with a Shock of Flaming Burst, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement

EazyWeazy
08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Pretty sure +6 stat on an item would disqualify Shock. You would need to have +6 dex, good blast, and +4 AC. Not sure if you really want to put +6 stat on a weapon to be honest....especially on a class where you'll want to do some damage.

I went mineral II +4 AC at tier III, with holy and acid burst.

edit: ahh you noticed...

I think you are right there. Realizing that the Intimidate doesn't stack with an item, and the +6 DEX maybe isn't worth it... I have a lot more options in weapon selection if I'm just going to add the +4 AC.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Given the 'practicality' of the build I'm thinking Mineral II with the +4 AC is probably the way to go. It won't be a DPS machine, but then again neither is the build. :D

Thrudh
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I would suggest a air/fire combo if you want to go fully defensive

both air and fire can get you Dex +6 and exceptional Dex +1... air can also get you a bonus to your Charisma skills (i.e. intimidate)

The nice thing is that those two together get you a 2/day displacement clickable... very good for defense...

Then, if you dual-shard the large ingrediants (takes a LOT of large ingrediants tho), you can get the +4 Insight Bonus AND have a permanent 20% blur...

So, you could have a +7 Dex, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement weapon

or a +6 Dex, +2 to CHA skills, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement weapon

I'm building a weapon like this myself although I want SOME DPS, so I'm going with a Shock of Flaming Burst, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement

Whoops I was wrong about the CHA skills... that only applies to worn items, not weapons... but you can still do the

+7 Dex, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement weapon

or

Shock of Flaming Burst, +4 AC bonus, 20% undispellable blur, 2/day displacement

EazyWeazy
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking that the +7 dex would be over kill (using a Tower Shield) and I'm not sure how much the 20% blur would matter. His AC is going to be high enough that he won't really be hit that much anyways and I don't want to completely gimp his DPS.

I'm really leaning towards Acid, Good Burst, +4 AC, Mineral II. I think that will help him the most and work well with the build.

Thanks again guys for all the info and help. :)

Milolyen
08-26-2008, 10:20 AM
One thing I am doing for my intimitank is I went with radiance 2. Granted I went with this on a Scimi for its 15-20 crit range with the on crit bonus. You are already said you are not going for dmg (which radiance 2 does have nice dmg on a large crit range weapon) and the blind effect from crit really helps survivability. Couple that weapon with cleave and great cleave makes for a rather sweet combo dealing with trash mobs. For Bosses I am going to go with Mineral 2 for its ability to bypass DR. With you being a dwarf you could go with Scimi for the radiance 2 (you lose out on the racial bonuses but gain a much bigger crit range) then for red/purple named go with the dwarven axe Mineral 2.

Just just my 2cp

Milolyen

*edit* but if you are a more casual player and wont have enough for 2 then I would definitly go with the Mineral 2 DA.