PDA

View Full Version : Devs, throw me a bone here

Agarwaen
08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Or, rather, give me something to throw mine at. Great frustration is setting in. I have 16 large bones and 1 large scale for the love of God. If my current luck holds, I won't be able to craft my tier 3 stuff until I complete about 180 shroud runs. And putting bones on the AH is useless, as nearly everyone has a surplus of them. Please, please, please give us an ingredient trade-in option like the relics in gianthold. Preferably a two-for-one trade option.

I adore the game guys, but this particular time sink (in conjunction with my poor luck) is more than I can handle. I beg you Devs, give us a way to balance out poor looting luck in the shroud, and please do it in the next update. I can't handle this much longer.

PS: I know there are other threads on this issue, but I am so desperate, I feel the more threads that ask for this fix, the merrier.

PPS: Is my pull rate purely bad luck, or have bones been given a higher drop percentage than scales and stones?

jamie_lannister
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
join the club.sooo frustrating to pull large bone after large bone.trade in option would
be awesome,even if its 3 or 4 for 1

Angelus_dead
08-03-2008, 10:07 AM
PPS: Is my pull rate purely bad luck, or have bones been given a higher drop percentage than scales and stones?
This is a problem of demand, not supply. It's not pull rate that causes the difficulty here. The real cause is that 100% of all recipes need 2 scales, and some of them need 3. Each tier of an item needs a gem, focus, and essence, and every gem and essence MUST contain a scale. For any other ingredient there's a way to make a gem or essence without it, but scales will ALWAYS be used. And in addition, the chance that the focus will also require a scale is about 57%.

No other ingredient has as much demand on it (arrows and stones come next), which is why you can't get scales on the auction house, and why other players are less likely to give you extra. And if you've crafted anything, that'll explain why you have fewer of them than anything else.

In the long run, scales are the limiting factor for Shroud crafting. The more times players have run the quest, the closer we'll get to the point where scales are all that matter, and players will willingly sell you any other ingredient for a handful of plat (because those other ingredients are worthless if you don't have the scales to go with them).

So overall, some kind of NPC artificer who will sell you 1 scale for 3 of some other same-size ingredient would be a nice idea to improve the situation (unless the devs find it desirable that scales are all that matters)

Raithe
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I always had a plethora of large devil scales, but was generally short on bones and shrapnel. What Angelus_Dead says is true (and personally I consider that rather poor design), but there is another partial solution to the problem:

In many MMOs (as described to me by relatives), trading for ingredients is one of the principle game mechanics that sponsor player interaction. As someone with an excess of devil scales (of all things), it was rather humorous to me that the only thing I could think to do with them was put them on the AH for fairly cheap buyout in the hopes of helping someone else complete their item. Sure I could have wasted lots of time combing the forum marketplaces for someone who would trade, which I consider completely OOC (both Out-Of-Character, and Out-Of-game-Context), or bothered everyone I grouped with (I occasionally did bother the group at the end of part 4 of the shroud), but I consider both those fairly bad options.

What I am getting at is that it would be fairly easy to set up a place for people to actually trade their items (including ingredients) within the context of the game. I see 2 good options for this:

1) Make a bulletin board within the game where people can list their character's name and the items they would like to trade and for what they'd like to trade.

2) Set aside a Bazaar area where people can just hang out and compare trade lists.

IMO, it would do wonders for giving DDO a more social, less stale and sterile, environment.

Agarwaen
08-03-2008, 11:10 AM
This is a problem of demand, not supply.

I see the problem you are describing, and I am sure I will have the pleasure (ahem) of experiencing the demand crunch next. Currently, however, it's all about my crappy supply. I haven't crafted any tier 3 items yet. My looting has provided 1 large scale, 1 stone, 5 horns and 16 bones. I have 2-6 of each of the other three ingredients. So at my current rate, I should complete a weapon about 5 minutes prior to the sun burning out.

rest
08-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I see the problem you are describing, and I am sure I will have the pleasure (ahem) of experiencing the demand crunch next. Currently, however, it's all about my crappy supply. I haven't crafted any tier 3 items yet. My looting has provided 1 large scale, 1 stone, 5 horns and 16 bones. I have 2-6 of each of the other three ingredients. So at my current rate, I should complete a weapon about 5 minutes prior to the sun burning out.

Look on the bright side: some of us aren't at the cap yet and haven't even seen the Shroud :p

jkm
08-03-2008, 10:15 PM
for me its shrapnel, mainly because i pulled 15 large shraps in a row...

Agarwaen
08-03-2008, 10:27 PM
for me its shrapnel, mainly because i pulled 15 large shraps in a row...

Bro, if you are on Thelanis and would like to trade look me up. I will throw in small or medium if you need any.