PDA

View Full Version : DDOcast's Ask the Devs #5 Transcript

Mockduck
07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I've got this in the Fansite news section along with DDOcast.com and the DDOcast forums, but for completion's sake I'm including a link to the Ask the Devs #5 transcript HERE (http://ddocast.com/files/82681-72328/Ask_the_Devs_5_Transcript_Final.pdf) in .pdf format. Thanks Favorless from the Mortal Voyage permadeath guild on Argonnessen for his quick work to get this transcribed for me. Later!

Jerry

Falco_Easts
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Looking forward to the "Way of" for Fighters and Pali's

Ustice
07-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Hey Jerry,

I posted a comment saying the same on your site, but if you need help with reformatting in the future, I can likely do that for you in less time it would take to order a pizza, instead of doing it all by hand.

SlipperyPete
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey Jerry,

I posted a comment saying the same on your site, but if you need help with reformatting in the future, I can likely do that for you in less time it would take to order a pizza, instead of doing it all by hand.

Out of curiosity, what tools do you use? My website needs an overhaul. I've been using Dreamweaver but always looking to become more efficient.

Thx

MysticTheurge
08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Nice to see the transcript, so I can tell who's saying what.

The devs all sound the same to me... :o

Turial
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Nice to see the transcript, so I can tell who's saying what.

The devs all sound the same to me... :o

Maybe its just one dev using those voice changing toy masks that seem to be all the rage these days....

LA_MIKE
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Ustice
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Ah, I thought that it was an issue of inserting <br/> for the returns.

Mockduck
08-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I know most of the devs by voice, but I'll admit that when transcripting I've had to take a couple of guesses in the past. There's a few of 'em that sound pretty alike, especially if I haven't talked to them a bunch.

That's why I introduce people individually at the start of the show, so that I can save their voice to their name. Later on, if I need to match a voice to a dev, I can go back to my individual files and try to match the voice to the name!

barecm
08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Definitely one of the cooler things going. A direct pipeline with the devs; how amazingly awesome is that! My only suggestion would be more content / bug fix / state of the game / still on the radar / dropped off the radar type questions and less on the 'my favorite memory of xxxx' or 'if I were running the company I would do xxxxx'. Although nice to know about, doesn't really get me excited about the direction the game is going (or not going). Again, this is such an awesome vehicle and has tremendous potential. Keep up the great work!

MysticTheurge
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Jerry requests questions every time he's got an Ask the Devs thing coming up.

You ought to send some in. (Because I too would prefer those types of questions.)

LA_MIKE
08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Mockduck
08-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I could be wrong, but:

Jerry collects questions on all topics, ranging from crunchy querries to off topic thoughts. The questions are submitted to the Turbine staff. Turbine selects the questions to be answered, which reflects on the panel of employees who appear on each Ask the Devs episode.

Everything you wanted to know has probably been asked and submitted to Turbine. It's just up to them which ones they choose to enlighten us on. Which is why you may feel you're watching a softball game, rather than a Major League event.

That's pretty much the way it works, although there's more give and take on the final question list. Only thing I'd correct is that I totally still want to get your questions! Crunchy, fun, whatever - send them all in to ddocast@gmail.com!

I try to add a mix of all kinds of questions. I think the devs sometimes enjoy answering the "lighter, fun" stuff as well, and I know it's fun to talk about. Keeps it from being so serious all the time. But I also make sure to get questions answered about technical stuff, game and development changes, etc - I'm shooting for a nice mix of everything.

Since the time to tape the chat is limited, I try to include questions that haven't been asked a million times rather than use each episode to basically just get "status updates" on the "big 10" questions: Otherwise, the show would get pretty boring pretty fast. Basically, hearing that druids are "coming" doesn't really do much for me. I'd rather answer questions that haven't been asked a whole bunch. But I do status stuff too sometimes.