PDA

View Full Version : A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO

sephiroth1084
07-15-2008, 03:48 PM
...or, How to Please a Console Gamer.

I know what most of you are thinking. Most of my friends scoffed at the idea of playing an MMO using a game controller. After all, there are TONS of abilities that you're going to have on hotbars! There is absolutely no way you could fit all of that on a gamepad. Well, I'm here to tell you that I have been using one, successfully on characters of almost every class since the end of January and in all content.

For many of you, using a PS2 or X-box 360 controller is probably almost as natural and comfortable as touching...well, certain things I'll not speak of except via innuendo on these boards...while for some of you, it is probably even MORE familiar. These latter folks should stop reading this now and go explore some of the many wonderful things to touch out there in the world! For everyone else: read on!

What I use: DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAMEPAD! I'M LEAVING THE INFO UP HERE UNTIL I FIND ANOTHER SUITABLE CONTROLLER, BUT THE THING HAS CONNECTIVITY ISSUES THAT CREEP UP. MY FIRST ONE WENT SOUTH AFTER 2 YEARS OR SO, AND MY CURRENT ONE HAS LASTED MAYBE A YEAR. Looked around a bit, and apparently this is a rather common issue. To clarify this after some testing, it seems that something in the connection between the cord and the gamepad itself wears out at the controller end. When I've found an alternate controller I'll open it up and see what's going on, and try to repair it. For the time being, I've looped the cord around the controller twice in order to take pressure off of the connecting spot, which has worked.

A Logitech USB gamepad that is designed exactly like the Playstation 2 controller, with 4 face buttons on the right (from here on referred to using PS2 terminology as triangle, circle, X, and square), 2 thumbsticks, start, select, a D-pad with 4 points (up, down, left and right), 4 shoulder bottons (R1, R2, L1, L2), and 2 more buttons behind the thumbsticks (you push them in for R3 and L3 respectively). 'R' and "L' being right and left. One could also use an actual PS2 controller plugged in using an adapter, or an X-box 360 controller also plugged into the USB port. As for PS3, X-box and Gamecube controllers, I haven't tried it out, so I don't know how they'd work, or if they can. For an x-box controller, just replace Triangle with Y, Circle with B, X with A, and Square with X. This also definitely works better with an official x-box controller, or one with the same design, since many third party gamepads for x-box move the start and select buttons elsewhere, which might cause some difficulties with my arrangement.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6933/control.gif

[NOTE] The terminology I use for the buttons is based on the PS 1/2/3 controller, which I was more used to, rather than the numeric assignment names. I'll give a correlation below:
1: Square
2: X
3: Circle
4: Triangle
5: L1 (key toward front of controller)
6: R1 (key toward front of controller)
7: L2 (key toward back of controller)
8: R2 (key toward back of controller)
9. Select
10: Start
11: L3 (depress thumbstick)
12: R3 (depress thumbstick)

The key to using a controller with DDO, I believe, is making use of the shift key button assignment. Assigning a shift/modifier key to one (or as I have done, 2) buttons on the gamepad, you double the number of functions you have access to. So, on this controller with 16 buttons and 2 sticks, I have 31 unique, assignable functions. That will end up being about 2 and a half hotbars worth of assignments, plus normal mouse-and-keyboard functions.

My set-up (see bottom of post for links to the set-ups of other contributors to the thread):
Important Note: Turbine changed the default controls for DDO sometime after I established my scheme (probably around the time DDO:EU or the Korthos Experience hit) and as such some things (particularly left and right mouse button functionality) may seem off. In order to mimic my set-up directly, toggle your control scheme to DDO Classic (or Classic) in the keymapping section before assigning buttons.

See Calebro's post here (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2929792&postcount=99)for a screenshot of where the option appears.

First, and most importantly, you need to mimic using a mouse, since you will only now be doing so on rare occasions.

Mouse cursor: Right analog stick. This stick controls the cursor on the screen and will duplicate using a mouse. It is a bit slower than actually using a mouse, which makes going to click on something that dropped from a crate manually before someone else grabs it a little more difficult, and makes flipping through NPC dialogues as fast as possible a little more difficult. Aside from that, I've found it to be suitable for all levels of play.

[EDIT] Upon reading some questions about how to accomplish this:
Under Mouse Emulation in the Key-mapping section of Options (down past Shortcuts) I have the following:
Move Mouse Left: Z-Axis -
Move Mouse Right: Z-Axis +
Move Mouse Up: Z Rotation -
Move Mouse Down: Z Rotation +

Pretty sure that to set this, you just click the appropriate button, then press the joystick in that direction. Then adjust the joystick dead zone bar at the top of the panel to tweak how much you need to move your stick in order to trigger cursor/character movement.

Left mouse button: L2. Using the gamepad without a mouse only works if you can still click on stuff! This is assigned here so that I can click on it and still use the other functions on the controller. Functions the same way as clicking the button on a mouse, so I can also hold it down to be in mouse look mode, and can strafe while it is held down. One thing I notice myself doing more with this than with a mouse is "grabbing" the screen with mouse look, and briefly using the mouse cursor to turn it to assist in my actual movement to turn more quickly and more precisely. If I were starting from scratch, I might switch this to R2, as it may be easier holding the button down while moving if it were on the opposite corner from the left analog stick (see below).

[Edit] I somehow forgot to include that you need a separate keymapper for this to function the way I use it. Previously I had been using the software that came with the Logitech controller, but now I've got Xpadder (had to wipe my machine and couldn't find the old disc). In that keymapping program, set whichever button you want (in this case L2) to emulate the LMB. Then in DDO, you want to select Classic DDO mode, and you want something like Steer, Interact, Hold to Strafe.

Next, we have to replicate the default abilities that everyone has and that specific keyboard keys are usually used for.

Movement: Left analog stick. I have this set for forward movement, backward movement, and turning left or right. I hold down L2 to strafe, and L2+RAS (right analog stick) to look around.

Attack: Square. It is important to get in-combat abilities on keys that can be used smoothly in conjunction with other functions. In this case, normal movement, blocking and jumping.

Jump: R1. As you will find, I have many functions set on opposite sides of the controller from other functions to try and get the smoothest use out of combined actions. In this case, it is very easy to move and jump, attack and jump, tumble and jump (for those cool aerial flips), etc.... In practice, I tend to be able to jump more precisely than the majority of people I've come across using a mouse-and-keyboard since this now functions like a console platformer game set-up. Note: Many console gamers may be more used to having one of the face buttons set to Jump (X or square probably). In that case, you may want to switch, but I recommend trying this out for a little while first.

Block: L1. The position for this was selected for my tank, who uses a shield, but I might consider putting this on R2 for someone that plays rogues or monks who tumble a lot primarily. That said, I DO play both a rogue and a monk who tumble, and can still tumble just as well, or better, than anyone else doing the same.

Tab (for enemy targeting): R2. Tab-targeting is one of those things that many players don't do, but those who do swear by it. Incredibly useful for casters and archers, and in melee makes up for the slightly slower cursor speed. Due to its position, this button can be used with attacking, jumping, tumbling and normal movement so that Tabbing should never interrupt or take time away from anything else.

Shift/Modifier: L3 and R3. You most likely need a shift/Ctrl-type key, doubling your button functions, to effectively use a gamepad in an MMO. The reason I have TWO is that I found that holding in either and using the buttons on the same side of the controller (R3 with triangle, for example) was very difficult to do fluidly. As such, I've assigned two. The trick here is to train yourself (takes little time) to push in a thumbstick opposite whatever else you want to do. I'll explain more for individual entries, generally by putting the specific shift key in parenthesis.

Push to talk (for voice chat): Shift(R3)+R2. This is a recent addition and allows me to chat while performing other tasks at the same time. I also map this to the keyboard, so that if the task and using the gamepad P2T button would interfere, then I can hold the pad over the keyboard and press the key with my pinky while I attack and such.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And that is all of the keyboard-emulating functions. Everything else will be hotkeys to hotbars and my philosophy behind what should go where for different classes.

One of the primary concepts behind my button assignments from here on is maximizing ease-of-use mid-combat. The reason, if not obvious, is that for anything than you will primarily do outside of combat there will be time to go and hit your keyboard or use your mouse. Another thing I find very useful is assigning as many similar functions to the same button or button combo across all my characters as possible. This way important, universal functions, don't require any thought and may become reflex for every character you play. (This ACTUALLY means assigning things to the same spot on your hotbars, since you button assignments won't be changing from one character to the next). I will put which shift key I use in conjunction with the combo key most often in parenthesis as such: (L3). This is just more comfortable, since both R3 and L3 are the same shift button.

All of the assignments below are buttons (or button combinations) set to hotbars 1 and 2, with a few slots on hotbar 3 also assigned. What order you actually put these on your hotbars is fairly irrelevant, though organizing them by visual-cue would be useful. For example, I'd assign all of the weapon slots (in my case the 4 D-pad buttons and Shift + those same buttons) to a concurrent set of hotbar slots so that your weapon sets are together. Then abilities like Power Attack and Combat Expertise could go next to each other. See Calebro's posts on page 5 (or 4?) for an idea of how he arranges mapped buttons on hotbars in order to generate visual markers for himself.

On my Intimitank (paladin 12/fighter 4) I have run all the content in the game, and am generally well-regarded by those I play with. EVERYONE is surprised when I mention that I'm using a gamepad (true on all my characters, which means that nothing I'm doing seems slow or unnatural...except my unnaturally good jumping skills!)

X: Intimidate. I wanted an easy to reach button that I could hit immediately when I need to grab aggro.

Circle: Lay on Hands. My "Oh ****!" button. When I, or someone else, needs a quick heal, I want to be able to deliver it as fast as possible. I put this on the button furthest from other functions to minimize the chance that I accidentally hit it, but leave it as an unmodified key to facilitate swift activation. (Otto's Irresistible Dance on my wizard goes here, so that if something is charging me I can hit Tab, then this to stop it in its tracks; on my barbarian, DR Boost is here until I drop the boost to fit in Frenzied Berserker prereqs).

Triangle: Activate Combat Expertise. I have this on the face as it allows me to cast Divine Favor and reactivate CE quickly. Could probably stand putting this as a Shift+button combo.

Start: Cure x Wand. I always put my main healing item in this spot (CSW potions for my characters without other healing, Heal scrolls on my rogue, etc...).

Select: Fighter Haste Boost II. I wanted this on a non-combo button so that I could activate it during combat, but since it is rarely used, I feel that its slightly difficult position is acceptable, particularly since one must cease attacking to activate it, so it works naturally with your right thumb, which would otherwise be hitting square.

D-pad, Shift+D-pad: Weapon sets. On my tank, all of my main weapons are assigned to these eight buttons (up, down, left, right, shift+up, shift+downetc...) so that I may switch between them quickly during combat. I put my main 4 on the non-combo'ed keys. In this case, my main DPS weapon, my vorpal, my paralyzer, and whatever other single weapon is most useful in whatever quest I'm running (so, I'll put a disruptor in this spot for undead quests, a smiter for VoN 4, etc...). On the shift+whatever keys, I put whatever secondary weapons I might need in a quest (Mucksdoom or Muckbane for the Harbor and Marketplace, and Rainbow), and my ranged weapon sometimes. If you want to run and swap weapons, hold in L3 for secondary weapon groups, otherwise use R3.

Shift (L3)+Square: Smite Evil. Most in-combat clickies should be on face buttons, or shift+face buttons. Since I don't want to be moving when I use my smite, this works well with L3 (a little bit more difficult to move accurately while holding down L3, but not too much).

Shift (L3)+Triangle: Power Attack. I put both my stances (CE and PA) on the same button so that it is easy to remember where to go when switching. Could probably stand to put PA elsewhere, even, perhaps, on the keyboard, since it rarely needs to be activated mid-combat. Still, I like this spot.

Shift (L3)+Circle: Divine Favor. Used a lot, and during long fights I need to be able to activate this and reactivate CE quickly, which is why this isn't on the keyboard with the rest of my buffs.

Shift (L3 or R3)+R1: Improved Trip. Very hard to trip something while running, so this is a fine spot to put it--have been doing more tripping while on the move and have gotten used to using either L3 or R3 for this action. One thing that took a little getting used to was that when I was first learning the timing of holding shift and hitting this, I would sometimes end up jumping instead of tripping. Even when I was learning, this happened MAYBE twice a quest. Now that I'm used to it, it might happen once a month or so. I cannot recall the last time I jumped instead of activating trip. Key here, is that I can get a trip off quickly whenever the cooldown timer resets. As such, I notice that I throw off trip attempts more than almost anyone else I've ever grouped with. Usually figure it into every 2 or 3 attack sequences.

Shift+L1: Haste/Expeditious Retreat clicky/potion. I have this set-up for everyone of my characters' speed-boosting clicky. Goggles of ER for the tank, Ranger/Barbarian Speed Boost x for those guys, and the Haste spell on my wizard. I just really like being able to pick up speed around the market or in quests without any thought.

The rest of the keys are open to preference and I switch what I have in them regularly. For Vision of Destruction, for example, I put my Remove Curse pots in Shift+L2, and my Remove Curse wand in Shift+Start.

For buffs (especially long-duration ones), just put them on the keyboard in separate hotbars. Same for item clickies that aren't needed in combat or that have a long duration (a Jump or Detect Secret Doors clicky would go on a keyboard hotbar, while a Shield clicky would be put on one of the remaining gamepad combos).

On my rogue-type characters, I'll have my goggles of Spot, Search, Disable on keyboard hotbars, since they don't need to be swapped quickly, but I tend to have Sneak, Search, Disable Device and Open Lock on shift+button combos as a personal preference until higher levels when more gear and abilities push all of these but Sneak off to click-to-activate hotbar slots (keyboard), though they could very easily be pushed to the keyboard since they aren't time-sensitive.

Shift (L3)+X: Improved Uncanny Dodge. So that I can throw it up in combat.

Shift (L3)+R1: Manyshot on my archer, Assassinate on my Assassin Rogue See above.

Shift (L3)+L2: Deepwood Sniper clicky.

While I have my bows and couple of two-weapon sets on the D-pad, I might consider moving a couple of those to the keyboard hotbars and putting quivers or stacks of special arrows on 1-3 of the buttons depending on the quest.

On my caster (wizard 20), I leave as much gamepad space open for spells as I can. Casters definitely push the gamepad to the limit, but I've managed to do very well nonetheless. The key here is to put all of your most important combat spells on non-combo buttons. One thing to keep in mind, especially for a Wizard or Cleric, is that your button and spell assignments are going to change fairly often from quest to quest, especially early in the game. Later on, I've found that there are some spells that I always have prepared, so they tend to stay in the same place.

Triangle: Firewall. I like being able to throw these down quickly. For quests where I don't bring firewall, whatever my main attack spell is going to be goes here instead (Cone of Cold or Ice Storm in fire-immune quests for example). Recently moved to Shift+Triangle as I'm not throwing a lot of firewalls around anymore at level 20. When I'm doing the kiting in ToD, however, I move it back to an unmodified face button.

Circle: Otto's Resistible Dance. It has a short casting time, and will neutralize most enemies, so this is the "Oh ****!" button for my wizard. Something gets to close to me? Hit this! Now there is a dancing mob who would have hit me, had I delayed a second or 2, that is instead ready for a beating. Could have Hold Person/Monster here instead, but I find ORD lands more often and affects more creatures usually. I tend to swap this for Halt Undead in undead heavy quests.

X: Enervation. I like being able to preempt a save-based debuff or insta-kill spell with this in many situations. This gets swapped more often than the above 2.

Other spells I tend to have on shift+button combos include: Finger of Death, Mass Hold Person/Monster, Charm/Suggestion/Dominate, Disintegrate, Prismatic Spray (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=202617) and Web.

It is important to put spells that you will have to use in combat (particularly those with a short range) on non-combo keys, while spells with a longer range can usually be put on combos. Buff spells, and most CC can be left on the keyboard. I rarely have to Quicken Acid Fog, for example, so that (and Glitterdust, and Symbol of x) tend to get left on the keyboard. If I anticipate using a particular CC spell often (Dancing Ball in Tor or the Reaver, for example) I'll move that to a convenient gamepad space.

On the wizard, I have whittled down the number of weapon-sets I use to 4 primary ones by having a Spell Penetration item on a body slot, and by getting weapons with more than one Spell (School) Focus on them. So, I have a Superior Combustion + Superior Fire Lore set, and a set with Necromancy, Conjuration, Enchantment and Illusion focus spread over two weapons. These are my main two sets, and I can switch between them quickly enough to have the right set equipped for every spell I sling. This was true even when I had more sets.

[Edit] Narrowed down to 4 weapons still, but the info has changed: Dreamspitter, Superior Potency VI + Greenblade, Superior Potency VI + Skyvault, +1 Returning Throwing Axe (for activating ranged switches and breaking stuff).

Because I was able to narrow my choices down to 4, I use the shift+D-pad keys for my 4 metamagic feats that I turn on and off (Maximize, Empower, Quicken and Extend), which lets me turns those on and off a little more regularly depending on what I'm casting. So, when I want to throw down that Acid Fog I turn off Empower, or for enchantments, I turn off Extend, to save mana. Obviously, this is much better for turning off Metamagic mid-combat than turning it on, since the activation time makes using the gamepad about the same as the keyboard. Though, it does let me turn them on while jumping more easily, so that I can keep moving forward (with the Jump spell up, I can run, Jump, activate a metamagic feat, and on level ground land and have to wait only a second before I can continue running again with the feat active).

On my barbarian (level 8), I have rage and the Damage Reduction Action boost on non-combo'ed face buttons, and Lesser Restoration potions on Shift+Circle so I can remove fatigue after a rage and reactivate a new one swiftly.

On my monk (level 10, I assign stances to the D-pad for now (and weapon sets to the Shift+D-Pad), and use face buttons (and shift+face buttons) for my elemental/light moves and finishers. This really cuts down on the unwieldy nature of Ki use in combat.

I've since tried to free up as much gamepad real estate as possible for the monk, since multiple Ki strikes and activated class abilities take up a lot of space. As such, I've moved stances off the gamepad, as well as secondary weapons.

Sorry the last couple posts were very brief, but I have to head out. If anyone wants me to expand on the Barbarian or Monk entries let me know and I'll do so later, otherwise I'll leave them as is. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Happy console-DDOing!

Other people's set-ups:

Geonis' similar scheme. (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1895653&postcount=4)
rdj3100's rogue-centric hotbar assignments (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1903053&postcount=5)
spyderwolf's "boxer" set-up on his X-Box 360 controller (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2277161&postcount=15)
BrianTheHun's set-up utilizing a very different style controller, and a scheme that cycles through hotbars (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2432540&postcount=23)
Jayfunked set-up that also accesses multiple hotbars (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2439857&postcount=29)
TheEmeraldEmperor's hotbar-scrolling scheme (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2741839&postcount=64)
UrgtFury's version of a hotbar-scrolling set-up (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2816160&postcount=71)
EruditeNight's control scheme for which I am too lazy to assign a useful descriptor (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2820410&postcount=87)
prodONEg's monk style (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2848405&postcount=89)
Calebro's visualization of hotbar assignments (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2816430&postcount=84) : His control scheme, preferred gamepad and logic behind his choices are scattered across pages 3-5 and the discussion he and I had there is worth reading if you're trying to find your comfort zone with these things.
Psikick's mouse + gamepad hybrid (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3557250&postcount=117)
Anto_capone's hotbar-scrolling deal (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3679451&postcount=138)
silvermesh's PS3 control scheme that cycles hotbars and weapon sets rather than having hard assignments (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4246229&postcount=145)
SouthernGenius's 100 shortcuts w/ hotbar swapping (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=360395)

KKDragonLord's excessive list of weapon sets! (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2684061&postcount=55) :rolleyes::)

Mr._Dna
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Cool thread. I use a Logitech PS2 style controller as well. Mine is set up a bit differently, however.

I resolved the hotbar problem by setting my D-pad (UP) and (DOWN) arrows to scroll through my hotbars. I have (1)(2)(3)(4), which would be triangle, circle, etc on a PS2, bound to the first 4 numerical slots on each hotbar. This means I can't use slots 5-10 unless I want to click them with the mouse. However, with 20 hotbars, I still have 80 items/spells/abilities that I can hotbar. Now admittedly, it takes I while to scroll through 20 bars, so I keep the stuff I use more often close together.

soupertc
08-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I use a pad too....but only for movement. I do have the left 1 nd 2 button set up for Jump and Cycling through mobs to target. I tried playing with the keyboard when I first started playing....but found it harder to control my character. I guess I'm just use to console gaming to much(this is my 1st MMO and 1st PC game). I get remarks all the time that people don't understand how I do it.....well it took some time and playing of course. But it's all 2nd nature now.

Geonis
10-22-2008, 05:48 AM
My current setup allows for 2 full hotbars and the following jump, attack, target nearest enemy, mouse click, block, push to talk, move, and camera look (this more accurately duplicates FPS movement than using a stick for moving the mouse).
I put the mouse a bit over my characters head, rather than use mouse-look, as it is easier to use the mouse when I need it this way.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii93/tbo1004/logitech_dual_action_gamepad.gif

rdj3100
10-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I use a gamepad too -- logitech series.

I have mine set up as follows:
D-Pad - spells
Left Joystick - movement
Right Joystick - rotate camera; press to toggle mouse-look mode
Button 1 - attack
Button 2 - jump
Button 3 - search
Button 4 - disable
Button 5 - open
Buttons 6 & 7 - vary depending on my MC build (usually take at least 2 levels of Cleric for healing and one level of fighter or barbarian for HP boost)
Button 8 - push to talk (I use a mic)
Button 9 - Lesser Dragonmark (I get that as soon as possible -- sentinel {who doesn't want a boost to AC})
Button 10 - block

Vizzini
10-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Cool thread - thanks

lnfinity
12-18-2008, 05:54 PM
My pad is set up the same as the one Geonis shows in his graphic...(tres' cool btw) Wish everyone else did..lol

Problem I'm having is finding out how to set up the shift key...yes, I am a nooblet so bear with the dumb questions...lol

lnfinity
12-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok I have it set up so I can move using the left analog stick, and have mouse look mode on the right analog..but how to move the cursor?....this is all new to me...lol

sephiroth1084
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I have the right analog as the cursor, and the left for forward, back, turn right and turn left movement. I then set one button as the left mouse button, which I can hold down to essentially be in mouse look mode, and also to strafe left and right.

I happen to prefer "grabbing" the screen with the LMB and turning it/my character to being in mouse look mode all the time.

sephiroth1084
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
/bump to keep this fresh for new players

spyderwolf
07-01-2009, 03:03 AM
i use a xbox 360 controller myself. with very similar control scheme to the boxer button setup and default stick setup of halo and halo 2.

Uska
07-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Good post I have tried to use a xbox 360 controler but it doesnt feel natural to me but then I never liked FPS games on consoles only Keyboard and mouse I have been thinking about trying again at least for my monk and ranger.

So go ahead and flesh out the monk and I will give a whirl will have to adjust since I will be using a xbox controler but it shouldnt be to much diff.

sephiroth1084
07-01-2009, 03:36 AM
i use a xbox 360 controller myself. with very similar control scheme to the boxer button setup and default stick setup of halo and halo 2.

For those people who are unfamiliar with these set-ups/games, would you care to post a brief rundown?

Uska
07-01-2009, 03:41 AM
For those people who are unfamiliar with these set-ups/games, would you care to post a brief rundown?

yah good idea

spyderwolf
07-01-2009, 03:45 AM
left stick- walk foward/backward and turn left and right
right stick- moves mouse cursor
left shoulder button- strafe left
right shoulder button- strafe right
left trigger- shield block
right trigger- push to talk
back button- hot key for bar 1 spot 5
start- mouse look
x-jump
y-target nearest mob
b-swing
a-interact
d dap-bar buttons 1-4 hot keys
click down left stick-map
click down on right stick-xp report

hope this helps. i use this setup for a barb,fighter,pally,bard,sorc,cleric,and rogue. the dpad and back buttons are weapons and boost and haste pots for my melee, and offensive or instakill(or in the case of my cleric the full heal spell as well)spells for my casters.

this video is a great way to see the freedom of movement that i have with my setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKn3hZByF4

sephiroth1084
07-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Good post I have tried to use a xbox 360 controler but it doesnt feel natural to me but then I never liked FPS games on consoles only Keyboard and mouse I have been thinking about trying again at least for my monk and ranger.

So go ahead and flesh out the monk and I will give a whirl will have to adjust since I will be using a xbox controler but it shouldnt be to much diff.

Hey Uska, are you referring to Spyderwolf's post or my comments on attempting a monk? I can flesh that out a bit when I have the time, but I'm going to sleep in a few. I will leave you with some food for thought first.

Surprisingly, I found monk to be both more intuitive and more difficult to map to a gamepad than any of my other characters--all the different stances, strikes, and other attacks and effects take up a lot of controller real estate (much more than the wizard even).

That's on the one hand. On the other, I find it very easy to transition through/amongst the many options using the controller, but my big concession with that kind of character (Bruucelee is currently a Rog 1/Monk 9) was moving the weapon groups off of the gamepad hotbars. This is due in part to the numerous buttons needed for in-combat abilities (3 stances, 2 tiers of strikes to go with those stances, Stunning Fist, the Finisher button, plus all the essentials), and also to the reduced frequency with which I found myself actually swapping monk weapons around (mostly due to a lack of decent stuff to be using--no transmuting handwraps and few other specialty wraps).

I honestly cannot imagine how everyone else plays a monk on the keyboard what with all the movement and in-combat abilities.

spyderwolf
07-01-2009, 03:50 AM
that video is without using a keyboard or mouse btw.

sephiroth1084
07-01-2009, 03:57 AM
left stick- walk foward/backward and turn left and right
right stick- moves mouse cursor
left shoulder button- strafe left
right shoulder button- strafe right
left trigger- shield block
right trigger- push to talk
back button- hot key for bar 1 spot 5
start- mouse look
x-jump
y-target nearest mob
b-swing
a-interact
d dap-bar buttons 1-4 hot keys
click down left stick-map
click down on right stick-xp report

hope this helps. i use this setup for a barb,fighter,pally,bard,sorc,cleric,and rogue. the dpad and back buttons are weapons and boost and haste pots for my melee, and offensive or instakill(or in the case of my cleric the full heal spell as well)spells for my casters.

this video is a great way to see the freedom of movement that i have with my setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKn3hZByF4

Thanks for that!

I was laughing through part of the video because I jump a lot more on my wizard, even, than you were doing on your sorc there. :p The gamepad definitely affords some easier acrobatic actions.

One thing you may want to try out on your 360 controller is adding the Shift button like I have to essentially double the number of functions you can fit. You may not find it necessary, but I like having as much stuff as possible at convenient disposal. Looks really nice overall, and has me thinking about maybe trying some different configurations even though I know that I'll have a very hard time getting used to another scheme.

Anyway, thanks again for posting!

spyderwolf
07-01-2009, 04:01 AM
ya what i tend to do now, sincei knowwhat each quest is gonan need. isi put the spells i knwo imma use be it insta or dps on the kep mapped buttons. and i swap those 5 spots on my hot bar depending on whic hquest i do. very few quests really require insta and dps at the same time. and if they do i map ball lightning for up dpad firewall rightdpad finger downdpad and healscroll left dpad with haste being the back button.its second nature now that ive been using the same keymapping for 2 and a half years.

spyderwolf
07-01-2009, 04:03 AM
and i tried to setup a shift key like you use to double the hot keyed thigns. but just didnt really use it much. altough i know someone who uses a reg xbox controller and one of his buttons scrolls through all the hotbars. so he jsut holds that button down and scrolls with the dpad and get s to the bar he wants and hits whichever key corresponds to the slot number he wants to use. so he can literally use all 10 slots on all 20 bars. its jsut a tad slower . but he plays high so isnt really all up on the zerging as bad as me. lol

sephiroth1084
07-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Interesting.

I've got Cone of Cold, Scorching Ray, Finger of Death (swap for Flesh to Stone), Web, Wall of Fire, Otto's Irresistible Dance (swap for Halt Undead), Mass Suggestion (swap spot as needed), Disintegrate (swap as needed), Hold Monster (swap for Mass Hold Person), Phantasmal Killer and Haste all on the gamepad for most quests at this point. Occasionally I'll throw Acid Fog or Dancing Ball on (usually when soloing).

dusenbutt
09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Does anybody know if the play & charge kits for 360 wireless controllers will work on a PC?

BrianTheHun
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I use a Nostromo n52 controller by Belkan. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=164714 I have it set up with #1-10 as my hotbar keys, #11 push to talk, #12 resets to my main hotbar, #13 shield block, #14 jump. The D-pad is my movement (wasd), the red button is examine, and the button under the d-pad toggles mouselook on and off. The scroll wheel cycles through my hotbars. I also use a trackball instead of a mouse, so the only thing I really use the keyboard for is to type. I play in mouselook mode and only have 1 hotbar on my screen at a time.

sephiroth1084
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Does anybody know if the play & charge kits for 360 wireless controllers will work on a PC?

I would hazard a guess that you need the hard-wire USB cord to use an X-box controller on a PC, but I could be wrong. Try google searching on this topic, or check the Microsoft website.

gberkhof
09-24-2009, 03:36 PM

i can confirm that charge and play kit does NOT let you use wireless xbox360 controlers on the computer

you would need either a wired controler, or there is a wireless adapter you can get for pc to use 360 wireless accesories

sephiroth1084
09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
i can confirm that charge and play kit does NOT let you use wireless xbox360 controlers on the computer

you would need either a wired controler, or there is a wireless adapter you can get for pc to use 360 wireless accesories

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I had assumed.

EDarkness
09-25-2009, 12:45 AM
What software do you use to allow you to use a gamepad in the game? I connected mine and started the game, but it won't recognize it. I have the same Logitec pad as the OP.

sephiroth1084
09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
What software do you use to allow you to use a gamepad in the game? I connected mine and started the game, but it won't recognize it. I have the same Logitec pad as the OP.

I just have whatever software comes with the controller, though I didn't make any entries in it for DDO.

The controls will not be immediately usable upon logging into the game, you have to go into the Key Mapping options and set keys to correspond to the buttons on your controller.

What I did was to assign a hotbar spot to a controller button. So, for example, you could go into the keymapping to Hot Bar 1, Button 1 and set that to the Up arrow on your d-pad. Then, you put whatever you'd want to use on that button in that slot on the hotbar.

In this way, I've filled just a little over 2 hotbars.

For non-hotbar controls, you just have to click on whatever you want to assign, then press the corresponding button on the controller. Press "up" on the left joystick for Forward, for example, assign Attack to a specific button, and maybe Left Mouse Button to another.

If you spend some time playing around with this and are still having trouble, let me know and I'll see about posting step-by-step instructions (going from memory just before sleeping right now).

Enjoy! :D

Jayfunked
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
My X-box controller set up

I can do everything without a keyboard/mouse but have found I do utilise the mouse when i am not in action to buff etc soft lock is important in this set-up needs to be on.

Shift is my friend

L trigger - shift (when held = in brackets) ...............R Trigger- Attack (use orb)
L bumper - strafe ..............................................R Bumper - Strafe

L analogue stick - Move.............................................R stick - mouse
L stick button- jump (LMB).....................................R stick button - shield (RMB)

D-pad When using the D-pad - I can either move (left hand) or attack (right hand) but not both convincingly
.............................Up Next party member (hotbar 2)
L- 'Self' (hotbar 1) .........................................R- Next Item (Hotbar 3)
...............................Down Next Monster (Hotbar 4)

The back button is the most inaccessible button as it's on the left but usually the right thumb deals with it.
Back button Map open/shut (Mouselook on/off).................Start button [see below action button grouping AB XY]

X - item 1 (item 6)
Y - item 2 (item 7)
B - item 3 (item 8)
A - item 4 (item 9)
Start - item 5 (item 10)

4 hotbars are directly accessible although they are grouped on each bar per type.
Melee skills and healing bar 1
Thief skills/Spells etc bar 2
Weapon sets Bar 3
Life savers (potions/clickies) on 4

Bar 5, 6 and 7 hold all my change of items for different situations (haggle/traps/buff clickies) bar 5 is my perfect set up for quickly getting back to optimum.

Bar 8 and 9 = Resistance potions/stat modifiers cats grace etc and other utility potions/scrolls/abilities/ and spell ingredients/arrows/toolkits for # count

Bars 5-9 are less heat of the moment so i can afford to use the slower xbox mouse mode or the actual mouse to do this without worrying about dying.

sephiroth1084
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Going to replicate this in the new player forums so that the players most likely to need some advice on this are more likely to find it.

sephiroth1084
01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Added a small edit on my settings for using the right joystick as a mouse.

Jayfunked
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Seph - I see I already posted my set-up in here a few posts up.

sephiroth1084
01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi Seph - I see I already posted my set-up in here a few posts up.
So you did! :)

Sorry for the request then. It was made without coming to check this thread to see if you had already done so. In any case, thanks again for sharing! :)

Davoo
01-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I am trying to setup my xbox controller for this game and I had a quick question about your layout.
In the section for the D-pad:

.............................Up Next party member (hotbar 2)
L- 'Self' (hotbar 1) .........................................R- Next Item (Hotbar 3)
...............................Down Next Monster (Hotbar 4)

What actual keys are you mapping in DDO for Next party member and for next item?

Jayfunked
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I am trying to setup my xbox controller for this game and I had a quick question about your layout.
In the section for the D-pad:

What actual keys are you mapping in DDO for Next party member and for next item?

Hi Davoo - I will look later when i get a chance.

I solo a lot and 'next party member' may end up being (Party member 2) only. I can't remember if i solved that one for party members in groups above 2. For me it basically always highlights my hireling who as i solo is always party member 2.
End result here may be a free slot and having you choose F1-F6 on the keyboard!

Next item works perfectly though as it is mapped so it revolves around all breakables/doors/colllectables/levers etc - I'll get back to you on the exact mapping.

Davoo
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Davoo - I will look later when i get a chance.

I solo a lot and 'next party member' may end up being (Party member 2) only. I can't remember if i solved that one for party members in groups above 2. For me it basically always highlights my hireling who as i solo is always party member 2.
End result here may be a free slot and having you choose F1-F6 on the keyboard!

Next item works perfectly though as it is mapped so it revolves around all breakables/doors/colllectables/levers etc - I'll get back to you on the exact mapping.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I didn't see a select next party member key, although it would be useful.
I may end up using some of the keys on the d-pad for party selection in my situation then. I am a cleric and I am working with 3 other team mates playing through the game. I need to be able to quick select them. It may end up looking like this for my d-pad.

D-pad
..................................Up - Target Party Member 2 (next hotbar)
L- Target 'Self' (prev hotbar) .........................................R- Target Party Member 3 (Next Item)
..................................Down - Target Party Member 4 (Next Monster)

Unless you can find a way to cycle targeting your party members.

KKDragonLord
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
and i tried to setup a shift key like you use to double the hot keyed thigns. but just didnt really use it much. altough i know someone who uses a reg xbox controller and one of his buttons scrolls through all the hotbars. so he jsut holds that button down and scrolls with the dpad and get s to the bar he wants and hits whichever key corresponds to the slot number he wants to use. so he can literally use all 10 slots on all 20 bars. its jsut a tad slower . but he plays high so isnt really all up on the zerging as bad as me. lol

How can he scroll through the hotbars? I couldnt find the command to set this up.

Calebro
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
How can he scroll through the hotbars? I couldnt find the command to set this up.

Alt+/Alt-
or
you could keymap your mouse wheel to do the same instead of zooming

Calebro
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Duh!
This was for gamepad.
Just find the commands (not logged in atm) that reflects "next bar" or whatever. They're default Alt+/Alt-
Pick a button for it on the pad.

KKDragonLord
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Duh!
This was for gamepad.
Just find the commands (not logged in atm) that reflects "next bar" or whatever. They're default Alt+/Alt-
Pick a button for it on the pad.

Its not the Next or Previous Bar, its like moving sideways on the bars

i hope i didn't misunderstood and there is no such thing

Oh i see, he programed the buttons to hit the keyboard keys, i can do that with my gamepad driver, thx!

Calebro
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Its not the Next or Previous Bar, its like moving sideways on the bars

i hope i didn't misunderstood and there is no such thing

Oh i see, he programed the buttons to hit the keyboard keys, i can do that with my gamepad driver, thx!

Reread the post you quoted.
He has one key set to next bar.
The other buttons are set to the corresponding numbered slot on that bar.
He cycles through to the bar that he needs, then hits the corresponding button associated with the action he wants from that particular bar.

He basically has it set up to play exactly how you would from a keyboard with only a single bar on screen, but he does it with his controller.

KKDragonLord
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
He cycles through to the bar that he needs, then hits the corresponding button associated with the action he wants from that particular bar.

He basically has it set up to play exactly how you would from a keyboard with only a single bar on screen, but he does it with his controller.

Yep, just did, reread the post you quoted =p
Thx anyway

Calebro
01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Yep, just did, reread the post you quoted =p
Thx anyway

The edit-fu is strong with this one. :P

KKDragonLord
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
The edit-fu is strong with this one. :P

Whooo boy, tell me about it, in long posts i edit 1932901348 times to get the grammar right, rephrasing or adding stuff to get the point across...

sephiroth1084
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM

I may try this out one day, but seems like it'd be a headache to recall where you've stashed stuff across 200 hotbar slots.

It also seems like it'd be fairly slow to get to stuff. Not a big deal if you just hang out on one hotbar all the time, then switch out of combat for buffs, clickies, etc... but I know that I use more than 10 things in combat quite often. I'd be curious to read a report on how this works in play.

Calebro
01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I may try this out one day, but seems like it'd be a headache to recall where you've stashed stuff across 200 hotbar slots.

It also seems like it'd be fairly slow to get to stuff. Not a big deal if you just hang out on one hotbar all the time, then switch out of combat for buffs, clickies, etc... but I know that I use more than 10 things in combat quite often. I'd be curious to read a report on how this works in play.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Slow (until you got used to it, maybe).
If I were to use this set-up, I would definitely need a "previous bar" key as well. I wouldn't want to cycle through 20 bars if I tabbed 1 bar too far.

Maybe R3 for next bar, L3 for previous, R1 jump, L1 block, R2 next enemy target, L2 next ally, 1-9 on buttons/d-pad/select/start (leaving 1 button open for basic attack, and spot 10 open at all times)

I think I might be able to get used to that quick enough....

edit* changed some stuff

Calebro
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh, and I never mentioned it, but I did re-try the gamepad play with a newbie.
It took a little while to get used to it, but I like it a lot.
I use this gamepad (http://www.dinodirect.com/PC-USB-2-0-Double-Shock-Vibration-Game-Controller.html) which actually has more buttons with the auto/slow/cancel/mode in addition to select/start in the center.

I'll post a set-up for it one of these days when I get my PC working again.

sephiroth1084
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Slow (until you got used to it, maybe).
If I were to use this set-up, I would definitely need a "previous bar" key as well. I wouldn't want to cycle through 20 bars if I tabbed 1 bar too far.

Maybe R3 for next bar, L3 for previous, R1 jump, L1 block, R2 next enemy target, L2 next ally, 1-9 on buttons/d-pad/select/start (leaving 1 button open for basic attack, and spot 10 open at all times)

I think I might be able to get used to that quick enough....

edit* changed some stuff
I was thinking the same--that I'd need a 'Previous Bar' button as well, but I still think it might get frustrating if you jump to bar 10 and then have to scroll back (or forward) through 10 bars to get to what you need. Even with experience I can't imagine it being very fast.

Spyder, wanna come give us a rundown of how this actually works in play?

sephiroth1084
01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh, and I never mentioned it, but I did re-try the gamepad play with a newbie.
It took a little while to get used to it, but I like it a lot.
I use this gamepad (http://www.dinodirect.com/PC-USB-2-0-Double-Shock-Vibration-Game-Controller.html) which actually has more buttons with the auto/slow/cancel/mode in addition to select/start in the center.

I'll post a set-up for it one of these days when I get my PC working again.
More buttons are always good! :)

And they come in de pretty culorz.

Calebro
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Yeah, 8 more things right in hand makes a difference.
Without logging and giving exact details, I can tell you that "mode" is push-to-talk, and the others are used for in combat gear swaps for melee and spells for casters.
In combat gear swaps = optimum gear / (shift)combat clicky gear.
As an example, my rogue/monk doesn't always have his hasteX5 outfit on, but I can get it on, use it, and get back to optimum outfit with (shift)start/(shift)start/start, all in combat and very fast.
When those 5x hastes are gone, I swap a new unused 5x into that spot on the hotbar once combat is over.

KKDragonLord
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I just realized that having my camera controls on the mouse and movement on the keyboard is vastly superior than using a game pad, for me at least.

On the mouse i can attack and interact with objects by cliking on them, turn the character around with the camera, look up and down, scroll the camera out and in, and sometimes hold the middle wheel button to look behind without turning.

On the Keyboard i strafe as much as i move forward and backwards, i use Q,E,R,F,C,X,Z,T,F,C,V,G,H,B, the number buttons from 1 to 6, tab, spacebar, ctrl, alt and shift, all within range of my single walking hand. not to mention combinations with alt that can include wasd, and shift (that i barely use because my pinky is not strong enough and i dont need that many commands).

On the gamepad unless i get used to a lesser degree of control over the camera and the character, i can't remove my thumbs from both sticks and that makes using the D pad and the main buttons an exclusion deal, the only way i could do it would be by using the shoulder buttons, which isnt a problem except that there are only 4.

Certainly, i am too used to using the keyboard and thats my problem, i am sure if i trained enough i could get used to the gamepad and do just as well even with the less amount of control over the camera. Positioning is what matters right. The problem is, my driver only allows for control over the keyboard and mouse at the same time, and that makes the analog sticks relegated to mouse duty. I am looking around for software to try changing this.

But what i really wanted to say is that i think the game should have different ways to configure the controls that could benefit the gamepad more. Multiple modifier keys is one of those.

When i imagined playing with a gamepad i thought it would be like using commands of an action fighting game, where you can hold a button and do several stuff, or even hold two or three more to make more complex commands. This would increase exponentially the amount of combinations you could assign commands to, and thats how a joystick can keep up with the keyboard in other games.

An in game option of scrolling sideways on the bar would also be nice, it could be used with the shoulder buttons giving us the ability to select things reliably while doing other stuff.

If for example the main bar could be assigned static commands, such as choosing buttons or combinations to represent the slots 1-10, and those assignments remained effective when you scrolled to change bars, you could push the same buttons for the same slots on different numbered bars.

What you guys think? Any more ideas?

sephiroth1084
01-13-2010, 07:16 AM
In my experience 28 programmable buttons (attack, jump, push-to-talk, left mouse, block, tab and 22 hotbar slots) plus cursor and character movement is enough for all of my characters (except possibly my monk, oddly).

It would be nice if the game offered even more customization options, but I don't know if that'd be necessary. And the controllers Calebro linked to would have an extra 6 programmable buttons, bringing the total to 34. That's almost 3 hotbars. I don't know about you, but the stuff I have on my hotbars beyond the first 3 isn't all that crucial, and I can stand to take the time to mouse over to the icons rather than activate them on the gamepad. Whether this is a failing or not I can't say, as I haven't tried mouse and keyboard to see if I'd do it any differently.

How often do you hotkey restorative potions (Curse/Disease/Restore/Poison/Blindness) vs. how often you activate them by clicking the icons?

KKDragonLord
01-13-2010, 07:40 AM
In my experience 28 programmable buttons (attack, jump, push-to-talk, left mouse, block, tab and 22 hotbar slots) plus cursor and character movement is enough for all of my characters (except possibly my monk, oddly).

It would be nice if the game offered even more customization options, but I don't know if that'd be necessary. And the controllers Calebro linked to would have an extra 6 programmable buttons, bringing the total to 34. That's almost 3 hotbars. I don't know about you, but the stuff I have on my hotbars beyond the first 3 isn't all that crucial, and I can stand to take the time to mouse over to the icons rather than activate them on the gamepad. Whether this is a failing or not I can't say, as I haven't tried mouse and keyboard to see if I'd do it any differently.

How often do you hotkey restorative potions (Curse/Disease/Restore/Poison/Blindness) vs. how often you activate them by clicking the icons?

Well, on my Pally i have about 25 weapon sets, 10 in the main bar, the others i pick with the mouse.
Spells, trip, smite evil and divine sacrifice on those keys surrounding awsd making another bar.
Ctrl+those keys for clikies of shield, pots of haste, barkskin and repair, and a few more spells, making yet another bar.
A bar just with equips i switch to with the mouse,
a bar of clikies of haste, neutralize poison (for the fleshies), remove fear (for non pallys), clikies of jump, detect secret doors. (all these with Secondary level commands such as U I O P [] \).
Alt+FSCEA, for resists, Shift+FSCEA for pots of protection. Ctr+B for strider, Ctr+G for planar gird, H for lay on hands...

In short i use 43 hotkeys and roughly 6 more bars that i click with the mouse, two of them of great importance.

The best thing about being a warforged pally is that i usually have a spell, or immunities so i dont need to use restorative potions =p

With my monk im still having trouble finding a way to use all the combo moves, but so far my Ki doesnt rise so much.

sephiroth1084
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, on my Pally i have about 25 weapon sets, 10 in the main bar, the others i pick with the mouse.
Spells, trip, smite evil and divine sacrifice on those keys surrounding awsd making another bar.
Ctrl+those keys for clikies of shield, pots of haste, barkskin and repair, and a few more spells, making yet another bar.
A bar just with equips i switch to with the mouse,
a bar of clikies of haste, neutralize poison (for the fleshies), remove fear (for non pallys), clikies of jump, detect secret doors. (all these with Secondary level commands such as U I O P [] \).
Alt+FSCEA, for resists, Shift+FSCEA for pots of protection. Ctr+B for strider, Ctr+G for planar gird, H for lay on hands...

In short i use 43 hotkeys and roughly 6 more bars that i click with the mouse, two of them of great importance.

The best thing about being a warforged pally is that i usually have a spell, or immunities so i dont need to use restorative potions =p

With my monk im still having trouble finding a way to use all the combo moves, but so far my Ki doesnt rise so much.
You, sir, need to clean out your backpack!

TWENTY-FIVE weapon sets? I think I have 10 or 12, and that feels like a lot.

In any case, most of the potions and clickies could stand to just be clicked, rather than hotkeyed. Not saying they need to be, but doing so wouldn't be a hardship, since they have either a longish duration, or don't tend to need to be activated at the same pace that your real in-combat abilities do.

I had initially put my Jump clickies and Bark pots on my hotkeys for my paladin as well, but as I got more weapon sets and abilities I slowly started moving all of that to clicking slots. As it is, I reserve or 8 slots (d-pad, and d-pad + ctrl) for weapon sets, and swap around sets as needed when heading into a dungeon. For example, when I got into Rainbow, I put my Mucksdoom, Smiter and Greater Elemental Bane weapons into slots for other weapons that won't be needed.

KKDragonLord
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
You, sir, need to clean out your backpack!

TWENTY-FIVE weapon sets? I think I have 10 or 12, and that feels like a lot.

Well its technically 26 considering the one i make with the Holy Sword spell to beat on Cornugons and Pit Fiends.

My current weapon sets are:
A Greensteel Greatsword (not transmuting yet)
A Terror Greatsword from the inspired quarter
A +2 Paralyzer Greatsword of PG
A +2 true law Greatsword of Disruption
A +2 weakening Greatsword of Enfeebling (for living spells)
A +1 true law scimitar or smiting (paired with madstone shield)
A +1 banisher rapier of tendon slice (w shield)
A +3 Vorpal longsword (w shield)
A +1 Holy Greatsword of Greater Undead Bane
A +1 Holy Greatsclub of Greater Undead Bane
A +3 Flaming burst Greatsword of PG (from the time when i fought cold foes)
A +4 Icy burst Greatsword of PG (from the time when i fought flaming foes)
A +5 Mettaline Greatsword of Righteous (which became a golem beater after the transmuting nerf)
A Cloudburst, from the reaver (looks so cool)
A +4 Thundering Greatsword of Greater Elemental Bane
A +3 Holy of Greater Reptilian Bane (for Coal chamber, Enter the kobold and the like)
A +4 Thundering of Greater Ooze Bane, (also for living spells)
A +2 Shocking burst battleaxe of everbright (w/ shield, for Rusties)
A +5 returning flaming throwing axe (w/shield, for ranging)
A Muckdoom with a Muckbane for easy to hit ooze
A Muckdoom w/ shield for dangerous ooze
A +3 Flaming burst Falchion of Greater Giant Bane (mostly for ice giants)
A +3 Metalline Falchion of Greater Giant Bane (for giants with DR and Stoned)
A +4 Vorpal Greatsword (i intended to use thinking the new warforged enhancements could trigger it, but its still useful for glancing blows when AC doesnt matter)
And finally
A +3 True law Greatsword of Greater Dragon Bane, for Velah.

I still have a +1 Seeker +10 falchion that i used a bit for making massive Smite crits, but i only managed to use it when i was at the top of my game before i stopped playing during mod 7. It still clutters my backpack because i was uncertain if the Capstone Weapons of Good could eventually make it worthwhile. But i think you convinced me to sell it =p

Im expecting to drop quite a bunch of those once i finish my greensteel.

sephiroth1084
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I think you could easily consolidate that list considerably given how few monsters are both dangerous enough that you need to DPS them down super quickly and also have so much HP that it's worth carrying around a weapon just for them.

Mineral II, when/if you finish it, can replace a few of those as well, though I'd probably not bother with a Mineral II on a paladin and just go with Holy Sword.

I also don't think you need that many weapons for rusties and oozes. In any case, it's not like you're using all of those for each quest. Even if you aren't banking any, they hardly need to be on a hotkey. The only quest that I can think of that even comes close to using even half of those is Rainbow. Everything else requires maybe 2-4 of those.

KKDragonLord
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I think you could easily consolidate that list considerably given how few monsters are both dangerous enough that you need to DPS them down super quickly and also have so much HP that it's worth carrying around a weapon just for them.

Mineral II, when/if you finish it, can replace a few of those as well, though I'd probably not bother with a Mineral II on a paladin and just go with Holy Sword.

I also don't think you need that many weapons for rusties and oozes. In any case, it's not like you're using all of those for each quest. Even if you aren't banking any, they hardly need to be on a hotkey. The only quest that I can think of that even comes close to using even half of those is Rainbow. Everything else requires maybe 2-4 of those.

Yay, just finished my Min2, time to put out the DPS calc to figure out what goes and what stays.
Anyway, yeah i probably could do without some of this stuff, but i truly use most of them. I couldnt bear going to the bank before and after each quest, its easier to just keep them with me. What worries me is that i usually need to switch fast to get the most of each weapon, and that would be hard to do with the gamepad.

Not talking about anyone in particular but i find it funny how sometimes people get so serious about DPS on their builds when it takes so much effort to increase just a few points.
And yet when it comes to equipment most just go with a Min 2 and never look back, even when its possible to get those extra points with the right combination of effects, such as Greaterbanes and what not. Wouldnt it be best to have a weapon for each mob to increase DPS?

Obviously im not talking about the stupid approach, which would be wasting precious seconds by switching weapons at the wrong times, but on a smart approach that uses the right weapon for the right situation, which is the Min 2 in some cases, and isn't in others. Thats what i try to do anyway, im gimped enough as a THF greatsword user WF full Pally already, if i werent a KotC, ppl wouldnt even group with me, right? ;)

sephiroth1084
01-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Last bit on this discussion as I don't want to sidetrack this thread.

The issue is that there really aren't any trogs, for example, that are both very dangerous and have a lot of HP, so losing a little damage (Mineral II vs. Greater Bane) is inconsequential: the inventory space is more valuable than the extra DPS.

Calebro
01-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Seph- My gamepad finally broke. So I got a new one and completely remapped everything.
One major change I implemented was to make (shift)R2 my toggle for mouselook. I basically leave mouselook on all the time. When I enter combat I "grab" the screen with R2 (similar to you, but the opposite). General movement is done in mouselook mode similar to a FPS game.
Blocking/tumbling is just as effective for me this way, if not more so, and I've found that I have more control moving around this way.
And I don't accidentally move the mouse cursor around the screen anymore either. In order to move it I just hit R2.

It took a few hours of soloing to get used to the change, but I'm extremely happy with it now that I'm becoming accustomed to it. There are moments when I strafe instead of turn, and vice-verse, because the movement is opposed to what I was used to, but they're getting less and less frequent already.
Give it a shot for a couple of hours and see if you like it as much as I do.

sephiroth1084
01-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Seph- My gamepad finally broke. So I got a new one and completely remapped everything.
One major change I implemented was to make (shift)R2 my toggle for mouselook. I basically leave mouselook on all the time. When I enter combat I "grab" the screen with R2 (similar to you, but the opposite). General movement is done in mouselook mode similar to a FPS game.
Blocking/tumbling is just as effective for me this way, if not more so, and I've found that I have more control moving around this way.
And I don't accidentally move the mouse cursor around the screen anymore either. In order to move it I just hit R2.

It took a few hours of soloing to get used to the change, but I'm extremely happy with it now that I'm becoming accustomed to it. There are moments when I strafe instead of turn, and vice-verse, because the movement is opposed to what I was used to, but they're getting less and less frequent already.
Give it a shot for a couple of hours and see if you like it as much as I do.
Will do, Calebro! And I'll pop in here with my thoughts when I try it out.

Calebro
01-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Will do, Calebro! And I'll pop in here with my thoughts when I try it out.

I think the thing that I like best about this way is this:
Mouselook mode resets the cursor to your target circle on the screen. No more wondering where it will be. No more fumbling with it.
If you do happen to move it somewhere, just let go of R2 for a moment, then grab it again.
Cursor shows up right back to the center of the screen every time you need to use it.

Oh, and the only reason I mapped it to toggle mouselook was to swap back and forth between the two and compare.
I'm going to remap that as something else again soon and just leave it in ML, "freeing" the screen in combat with R2 instead of "grabbing" it.

ShastaHawk
02-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Well its technically 26 considering the one i make with the Holy Sword spell to beat on Cornugons and Pit Fiends.

My current weapon sets are:
A Greensteel Greatsword (not transmuting yet)
A Terror Greatsword from the inspired quarter
A +2 Paralyzer Greatsword of PG
A +2 true law Greatsword of Disruption
A +2 weakening Greatsword of Enfeebling (for living spells)
A +1 true law scimitar or smiting (paired with madstone shield)
A +1 banisher rapier of tendon slice (w shield)
A +3 Vorpal longsword (w shield)
A +1 Holy Greatsword of Greater Undead Bane
A +1 Holy Greatsclub of Greater Undead Bane
A +3 Flaming burst Greatsword of PG (from the time when i fought cold foes)
A +4 Icy burst Greatsword of PG (from the time when i fought flaming foes)
A +5 Mettaline Greatsword of Righteous (which became a golem beater after the transmuting nerf)
A Cloudburst, from the reaver (looks so cool)
A +4 Thundering Greatsword of Greater Elemental Bane
A +3 Holy of Greater Reptilian Bane (for Coal chamber, Enter the kobold and the like)
A +4 Thundering of Greater Ooze Bane, (also for living spells)
A +2 Shocking burst battleaxe of everbright (w/ shield, for Rusties)
A +5 returning flaming throwing axe (w/shield, for ranging)
A Muckdoom with a Muckbane for easy to hit ooze
A Muckdoom w/ shield for dangerous ooze
A +3 Flaming burst Falchion of Greater Giant Bane (mostly for ice giants)
A +3 Metalline Falchion of Greater Giant Bane (for giants with DR and Stoned)
A +4 Vorpal Greatsword (i intended to use thinking the new warforged enhancements could trigger it, but its still useful for glancing blows when AC doesnt matter)
And finally
A +3 True law Greatsword of Greater Dragon Bane, for Velah.

I still have a +1 Seeker +10 falchion that i used a bit for making massive Smite crits, but i only managed to use it when i was at the top of my game before i stopped playing during mod 7. It still clutters my backpack because i was uncertain if the Capstone Weapons of Good could eventually make it worthwhile. But i think you convinced me to sell it =p

Im expecting to drop quite a bunch of those once i finish my greensteel.

Damn, thats a lot of weapons.

sephiroth1084
02-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Damn, thats a lot of weapons.
Can anyone say, "Pack rat?" :rolleyes:

TheEmeraldEmperor
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Cool thread. I use a Logitech PS2 style controller as well. Mine is set up a bit differently, however.

I resolved the hotbar problem by setting my D-pad (UP) and (DOWN) arrows to scroll through my hotbars. I have (1)(2)(3)(4), which would be triangle, circle, etc on a PS2, bound to the first 4 numerical slots on each hotbar. This means I can't use slots 5-10 unless I want to click them with the mouse. However, with 20 hotbars, I still have 80 items/spells/abilities that I can hotbar. Now admittedly, it takes I while to scroll through 20 bars, so I keep the stuff I use more often close together.

i use the same gamepad, but i set the l1-l2 buttons to scrool trough my hotbars

dpad up-first icon
dpad down-second icon
dpad left-third icon
dpad right-fourth icon

i use a similar thing with the modifier key for 5-8

9+10 are modifier key+ 2 keys i don't use in combat(ex:jump);

Bolo_Grubb
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
nice guide but it would have been easier for me if you ahd just used the numbers printed on the controller. oh well

sephiroth1084
02-12-2010, 01:47 PM
nice guide but it would have been easier for me if you ahd just used the numbers printed on the controller. oh well

I'll go and update that sometime soon. I used the terms I did because I'm more used to that name scheme.

phalaeo
02-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Ooooooh!
I didn't know this was an option and would love to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

sephiroth1084
02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Ooooooh!
I didn't know this was an option and would love to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's what this is here for. Enjoy. :)

~UrgtFury
03-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I just purchased this new controller and was wondering if anyone had some spare time to help me get it setup? I'm having problems trying to get the key mapping matched up right, my guy is a human fighter...

Here's a screenshot of the controller layout. Thanks

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6933/control.gif

Calebro
03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I just purchased this new controller and was wondering if anyone had some spare time to help me get it setup? I'm having problems trying to get the key mapping matched up right, my guy is a human fighter...

There are literally dozens of ways you can set it up, and you're the only person who can answer the question of which set-up is best for you.
My suggestion is to read this thread from the beginning and see which set-up looks like it will "feel" right in your hands.

Unless you've already done that and this is a keymapping question, as in "how do I go about mapping the keys properly?"
If that's the case we'll need to know which set-up you chose before we can help.

~UrgtFury
03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes I have read everything and its alot of great info, it is a key mapping issue I can figure out a couple of keys but there are so many in the mapping section its confusing to me?

I wanted to set it up like this.

* Button 1: Single Attack
* Button 2: Jump
* Button 3: Left Mouse Button
* Button 4: Health Potions Shortcut on the Shortcut Bar (I use Number 6)
* Button 5: Block
* Button 6: Modifier Key
* Button 7: Select Next Interactable
* Button 8: Select Next Combat Target
* Button 9: Previous Shortcut Bar
* Button 10: Next Shortcut Bar
* Button 6 + Button 1: Shortcut Bar item 1
* Button 6 + Button 2: Shortcut Bar item 2
* Button 6 + Button 3: Shortcut Bar item 3
* Button 6 + Button 4: Shortcut Bar item 4
* Button 6 + Button 5: Shortcut Bar item 5
* Button 6 + Button 7: Shortcut Bar item 7
* Button 6 + Button 8: Shortcut Bar item 8
* Button 6 + Button 9: Shortcut Bar item 9
* Button 6 + Button 10: Shortcut Bar item 0
* Y Axis: Move Forward and Move Back
* X Axis: Strafe Left and Strafe Right
* Z Axis: Turn Left and Turn Right
* Z Rotation Down: Interact
* Z Rotation Up: Cancel
* Hat Switch: Move Mouse

Calebro
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
There are a couple there that I don't use, so let me log in and find the appropriate commands. I'll be back.

*edit:
Are there any in particular that you're having trouble finding/mapping, or basically all of them?

sephiroth1084
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
In the key mapping section of the Options menu, just find whatever function you're looking to map (ie. Attack), click the button on the screen (probably says something like "Map" or some such), and then click the key you wish to map it to on your gamepad.

For things like healing potions and activated abilities, just assign hotbar spaces to buttons on your controller, and then put the items/abilities where you'd like them. For example, I have hotbar keys 1-10 on bars 1 and 2 mapped to buttons on my controller. When I'm on my wizard, if I need to be able to use a spell with less input I move that spell to a button that doesn't require a modifier and works comfortably with whatever buttons I'll require for the task at hand. The specific example I'm thinking of here is:

I usually have Wall of Fire on Button 4 + modifier, but during one fight, I need to be able to throw a lot of these out quickly while both maintaining uninterrupted forward movement and jumping. Unlike in normal questing where I'll maybe throw one or two walls out at a time, and where my movement need not be very exact, I don't want to have to deal with holding one button and pushing another, so I move firewall to Button 4 w/o modifier for easier use.

By the way, thank you for posting a pic of the gamepad with the buttons labeled. I'd been trying to find one and had been unsuccessful. I'll go back and edit my OP to correspond to this image.

~UrgtFury
03-10-2010, 02:05 PM
No problem I scanned the image at home, I am mostly having problems with the mouse functions, left click, etc the others I have figured out?

Calebro
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
No problem I scanned the image at home, I am mostly having problems with the mouse functions, left click, etc the others I have figured out?

Mouse Functions are almost at the bottom. Go to the bottom and scroll up a little bit and you'll find them.

Calebro
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh, and Seph, I should note that I believe "left mouse button" should actually be "right mouse button", shouldn't it?
The left mouse button attacks by default.
The right mouse button selects and uses mouselook by default.

Unless I'm being ******** again and don't know my right from left, which is possible.

~UrgtFury
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok I think I have it figured out and yes the left mouse was supposed to be right or I would have 2 attack buttons..

Thanks to everyone for all your help...

Calebro
03-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I actually use the free version of xpadder (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml) and have multiple profiles created because the set-ups I use for different characters are vastly different. So rather than remapping every time I log in, I leave the factory settings as are and use different keyboard emulations depending on which toon I'm on.

Short answer: it depends on who I'm playing.

sephiroth1084
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh, and Seph, I should note that I believe "left mouse button" should actually be "right mouse button", shouldn't it?
The left mouse button attacks by default.
The right mouse button selects and uses mouselook by default.

Unless I'm being ******** again and don't know my right from left, which is possible.

The default mouse mapping that I recall was that RMB was attack, and LFM was select and hold for Mouse Look. Maybe they've changed that since I started playing, but I don't believe I ever changed those controls, and I use LMB to select targets and spells when buffing, and when checking to see if everyone is inside the/a quest.

sephiroth1084
03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I actually use the free version of xpadder (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml) and have multiple profiles created because the set-ups I use for different characters are vastly different. So rather than remapping every time I log in, I leave the factory settings as are and use different keyboard emulations depending on which toon I'm on.

Short answer: it depends on who I'm playing.
The set-up I have ends up with some keys being universal to each character (attack, jump, block, etc...) and then everything else is dependent on hotbar location. No switching is needed after that point.

How different are your configurations from one character to the next?

Calebro
03-10-2010, 02:50 PM
The set-up I have ends up with some keys being universal to each character (attack, jump, block, etc...) and then everything else is dependent on hotbar location. No switching is needed after that point.

How different are your configurations from one character to the next?

Very.
I like to set up my bars so that I can "see" which buttons do what, ie: the bars are set three high, with the center row slightly off center to allow for a diamond of "active" buttons, and another next to it for the modified keys. And I have two different controllers (with different button set-ups: one has 4 face buttons, one has 6) that I swap between casters and melee. Since these different button configurations on the controllers don't allow for a universal keymapping, a different profile is needed for each.

Basically, having a visual cue for the buttons on screen helps me keep up to speed after swapping toons, and thus swapping controllers, and thus changing what the keys do.

sephiroth1084
03-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I find your Logitech dizzying. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by "visual cue" in this case though. Do you mean that you want to see where the abilities on hotbars that correspond to keys are when being used?

If that's the case, I keep my 3 keymapped hotbars together for that purpose, Moving weapon sets and spells around still benefits from seeing the hotbar slot light up with activation, but after a while most of the functionality becomes second nature.

Calebro
03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
*strange double post

Calebro
03-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I find your Logitech dizzying. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by "visual cue" in this case though. Do you mean that you want to see where the abilities on hotbars that correspond to keys are when being used? Visual cue:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hoppysmurf/ScreenShot000101.jpg
On my lowbie Pally/Monk, I can literally SEE that hat switch left will equip my holy handwraps, while it's modifier will equip my returning shocking burst dart of pure good.

If that's the case, I keep my 3 keymapped hotbars together for that purpose, Moving weapon sets and spells around still benefits from seeing the hotbar slot light up with activation, but after a while most of the functionality becomes second nature.

The "second nature" aspect gets a bit fuzzy when switching to my caster gamepad, because it has more, and different, buttons.
A visual cue on screen allows me to swap toons (and thus controllers) without having to re-learn where things are, and with no "Ooops, I'm used to playing my Pally" mistakes.
As the controllers are different, a set keymapping in-game can't accomodate the changes without massive headaches, so I use xPadder to do it for me.

sephiroth1084
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Visual cue:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hoppysmurf/ScreenShot000101.jpg
On my lowbie Pally/Monk, I can literally SEE that hat switch left will equip my holy handwraps, while it's modifier will equip my returning shocking burst dart of pure good.

Would you mind explaining in more depth how the cues work with your bars? I see the wraps and darts, but not their relation to buttons on the pad (partly because they are in different rows and visual configurations, so there appears to be no connection in that sense).

The "second nature" aspect gets a bit fuzzy when switching to my caster gamepad, because it has more, and different, buttons.
Stop using 2 different controllers? :p

Oh, and with so much empty space on your bars, how many do you have on the screen at one time?! Hehe, I seem to know all the folks who enjoy clutter (KKDragon and his 30 weapon sets springs to mind). :rolleyes:

Calebro
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Would you mind explaining in more depth how the cues work with your bars? I see the wraps and darts, but not their relation to buttons on the pad (partly because they are in different rows and visual configurations, so there appears to be no connection in that sense).
That's what xPadder is for. My configuration for xPadder is quite complicated, and I'd rather not get into it at the moment, but the simple answer is this:
When I hit button 1, xPadder translates that into "hotbar 2, slot 8" and I attack. Or when I hit Hat Switch Up, xPadder translates that into "hotbar 3, slot 4" and I go into wind stance.
The mis-aligning of the bars is just a visual reference for me.

SOh, and with so much empty space on your bars, how many do you have on the screen at one time?! Hehe, I seem to know all the folks who enjoy clutter (KKDragon and his 30 weapon sets springs to mind). :rolleyes:
Those are the only ones with empty space. That one sits in the bottom right of my screen. I have 3 vertical bars above it, and 3 horizontal bars in the bottom center (and sometimes 2 vertical bars on the left) for non-time-sensitive actions/items/potions/etc.
I think the most bars that I have on screen an any toon is 15, but I have a higher resolution setting, so it's not cluttered.

Stop using 2 different controllers? :p
I've become quite fond of my differing controllers. :D

EruditeNight
03-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks for writing this guide. I used it as a basis for my own controller scheme.

I am using a PS2 controller connected to my PC via a PS2 to PS3 adapter (I had one lying around).

I tried using xpadder, but it recognized my D-pad as another analog stick, so that didn't work for me.
What I did end up using was a driver for PS3 controllers MotionInJoy (http://www.motioninjoy.com/).
It works perfectly and lets my PC recognize my controller.

I imagine I could play with my actual PS3 controller hooked up via USB cable, but haven't tried it yet. MotioninJoy also lets you pair your controller to your PC wirelessly if you have a bluetooth adapter, but again something I haven't tried.

Edited 05/06/10 after a few months of playing with the controller. I also put the layout into a code section so it's easier to read.

I guess you could call this the console gamer's comfort setup. DDO is really the only PC game I play, so this is the layout that made sense to me as a console gamer. I have similar actions grouped together, the most common actions closest to the thumbsticks (hat switch left and down, square and x buttons), and menus mapped to Start and Select. I'm using a PlayStation controller here, hence the Square, Triangle, etc.

As sephiroth1084 mentioned in his posts, it helps a lot to use the analog stick on the opposite side from the modified key and to think about what you want to be able to do simultaneously. For example in my setup, I can talk, run and fight. I can fight, jump and heal, and I can move, tumble and cast.

Here's my original (old) layout:

Left stick: Move character (strafe when using the right stick)
Right stick: Look/Move mouse cursor
D-Pad: Hotbar 2, Slots 1-4
Square: Hotbar 1, slot 1
Circle: Hotbar 1, Slot 2
Triangle: Hotbar 1, Slot 3
X: Mouse click
L1: Jump
R1: Attack/Interact
L2: Block/Tumble
R2: Toggle Mouselook
L3: Modifier key
R3: Modifier key
Start: Voice
Select: Map

With modifier key on:

Left stick: Move character (strafe when looking with the right stick)
D-Pad: Hotbar 2, Slots 5-8
Square: Hotbar 1, slot 5
Circle: Hotbar 1, Slot 7
Triangle: Hotbar 1, Slot 6
X: Hotbar 1, Slot 4
L1: Selcet target (useful for heals and such)
R1: Interact (this replaces the 'E' key for grabbing loot
L2: Previous hotbar (I use this for quick access to clickys that don't need rapid fire ie: fighting stances seldom used weap sets)
R2: Next hotbar
Start: Quest panel
Select: Inventory

After playing for a few months I felt I could be using my controller real estate more effectively, so I made some changes. I moved the mouse click button to a less used location to free up the face button it was on, I scrapped the hotbar toggle buttons because I didn't use them enough to be worth it, and I remapped them to hotbar slots. I also made some little tweaks in the Gameplay and UI options to make the mouselook a little smoother such as turning on mouselook smoothing, adjusting the turn key speed, pitch key speed, and joystick dead zone until I liked it and turning on the Follow Slopes camera option.

I gained a total of four mapped hotbar slots and only gave up the 'E' or Interact key. Now if I need to change a hotbar, I just click on it with either the mouse or controller. It very seldom happens. usually just when I want to turn something on that stays on, like Defensive Fighting or Subtle Backstabbing.

Here's my current (new) layout:

Left stick: Move character (strafe when looking with the right stick)
D-Pad Left: Hotbar 2, Slot 1
D-Pad Up: Hotbar 2, Slot 2
D-Pad Right: Hotbar 2, Slot 3
D-Pad Down: Hotbar 2, Slot 4
Square: Hotbar 1, slot 1
Circle: Hotbar 1, Slot 2
Triangle: Hotbar 1, Slot 3
X: Hotbar 1, Slot 4
L1: Jump
R1: Attack/Interact
L2: Block/Tumble
R2: Toggle Mouselook
L3: Modifier key
R3: Modifier key
Start: Voice Chat
Select: Map

With modifier key on:

Left stick: Move character (strafe when using the right stick)
D-Pad Left: Hotbar 2, Slot 5
D-Pad Up: Hotbar 2, Slot 6
D-Pad Right: Hotbar 2, Slot 7
D-Pad Down: Hotbar 2, Slot 8
Square: Hotbar 1, slot 5
Triangle: Hotbar 1, Slot 6
Circle: Hotbar 1, Slot 7
X: Hotbar 1, Slot 8
L1: Select target under reticule (useful for heals and such)
R1: Mouse click (this works pretty well, since now I can click WHILE moving the cursor, so it helps the mouse feel less fumbly)
L2: Hotbar 1, Slot 9
R2: Hotbar 2, Slot 9
Start: Quest panel
Select: Inventory

I usually keep weapon sets, healing spells and items like potions or wands on the D-Pad. I keep skills and spells on the face buttons. Interacting with the environment (jumping, picking up items, fighting) is on the shoulder buttons. Voice, map, and other utilities are on the start and select buttons. I use the last slot in my main hotbars for extra clickys or for other weapon sets (muckbane, ghost touch, featherfall, waterbreathing). I can just drag them into other slots to assign them to my controller, or click on them directly if need be.

I never have to use my keyboard in a dungeon unless I want to type, especially because I can turn my look reticule into a mouse cursor and direct it with the right stick by tapping R2. I still use my mouse somewhat in stores, bank, auction house etc.

I have successfully used this setup with a rogue, a bard and a paladin. Instead of changing my key bindings, I just drag things where I want them in my hotbars, so it is very flexible and easy to set up for alt toons, or to customize per quest. It's very comfortable to play this way and not hard on your wrists, shoulders etc. I actually like it better as well for jumping and combat than the keyboard. It is much more nimble when it comes to moving and positioning your character, so I find it very useful for melee.

There are two Achilles heels in this setup (other than the obvious trade off in mouse cursor accuracy from using a controller):

#1 The ability to pick up stuff like treasure bags and drops from crates.
With my old setup, I could hold down L3 and fan the R1 button to pick up everything close to me, even while running. In my new setup, it's not as easy, but for now I think it's worth gaining the four extra mapped hotslots.

#2 The ability to select your party members. Playing a healer bard has made the more of a concern than with my Paladin. Using the Select Target button only works for party members I can easily see, and relies on my accuracy with the right stick. The workaround I am using for now is mapping the numpad to my fellows (1-5 for others, 6 for myself) and hitting it with my pinky when I need to quickly select someone on range for a heal. I works fine, and I haven't been unable to get a heal out in time because of it, but it's not ideal.
What I really want is a key for toggling or cycling fellows, that way I could map it to a button that I could just rapid-tap to get who I wanted.
If anyone knows of a solution for this, please post! :)

I'll report back if I ever use this setup with a caster, although so far, it seems to work fine for a healer/buffer.

I would never go back to playing with a keyboard and deal with the soft tissue injury it causes!

Again, thanks so much to sephiroth1084 for writing this guide :)

sephiroth1084
03-12-2010, 03:56 AM
I'll report back if I ever use this setup with a caster.

I would never go back to playing with a keyboard and deal with the soft tissue injury it causes!

Again, thanks so much for writing this guide :)
Always glad to hear that others have found this to be useful!

I've found playing a caster to be fairly simple with this set-up, as I have access to nearly all the spells that I'll use in a dungeon fairly easily, and the greater control over elaborate movement helps in staying mobile while casting. It's very easy, with a gamepad, to move, jump, turn, aim and fire off a spell at full speed. I'm sure some people are proficient at this sort of acrobatic casting with a mouse and keyboard, but I cannot fathom how.

Unlike with a melee, though, your hotbar assignments will likely not remain static (especially if you play a prepared caster instead of a spontaneous), as you'll need to be swapping spells around based on necessity. For example, I normally have Polar Ray, Meteor Swarm, Prismatic Spray and Wall of Fire set to my face buttons (and the same plus modifier), but I swap in Cone of Cold, Force Missiles and Frost Lance for fights against fire-based monsters (Arretrikos, Anur-Shub), or DBF and Disintegrate for the Abbot.

Ultimately, though, there are more free controller buttons to which you may assign spells than you'll typically be using over the course of an adventure, so long as you aren't trying to map buff spells to the gamepad as well (the only buff I have on the controller is Haste, and have entertained adding Displacement as well)--just keep them all on a couple of hotbars and click them manually.

prodONEg
03-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I really want to thank Sephiroth and all of the other contributors to this thread. Before I found this thread I was a novice controller user - now I am approaching veteran status!

Originally I was not using the right stick for mouse emulation. I had it set up to use the camera controls in the numeric keypad, i.e., 4 turned the camera left, 6 right, 8 tipped it down and 2 tipped it up. That was great for moving but not so great for the mouse. I still used my mouse to click things in some hotbars and I would inevitably forget to reposition the mouse and nothing would happen when I attacked :mad:.

It didn't happen often but was it was frustrating when it did. Also, my hotbars were not fully mapped. Thanks to this thread both of those issues have been addressed.

I use this Saitek controller (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AL703E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GAXB53A19X65Z8S9J5G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846). With 6 face buttons plus the four hat positions I have 10 buttons - enough to address all of the buttons on a hotbar.

The four major changes I made based on this thread were:

Switched my right stick to emulate the mouse
Assigned the stick push buttons (L3/R3) to modifiers (they are both CTRL now)
Assigned the SHIFT key as a modifier in the DDO key mapping panel
Started really using my DPad

So here is my configuration:

Left stick: WASD
Right stick: mouse
6 face buttons: 1-6
DPad: 7-0
L1: left click
R1: right click (attack)
L2: jump (space)
R2: block (shift)
L3/R3: CTRL

To complement this setup, I have defined the following DDO custom key mappings in Options:

CTRL+<numbers 1-10>: Select the corresponding hotbar, i.e., CTRL-1 selects hotbar 1, CTRL-2 selects hotbar 2, etc.
Shift-1: interact (also kept U as the secondary keymap just in case I am using the keyboard)
Shift-2: toggle mouselook (kept T as the secondary keymap)
Shift-3: autorun (kept R as the secondary keymap)
Shift-4: target next enemy (kept TAB as the secondary keymap)
Shift-5: a dedicated hotbar assignment, currently Sneak, i.e., hotbar 4-button 5
Shift-6: push to talk (kept , as the secondary keymap)
CTRL+SHIFT+1: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button1 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+2: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button2 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+3: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button3 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+4: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button4 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+5: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button5 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+6: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button6 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+7: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button7 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+8: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button8 - quick select (weapon or item)
CTRL+SHIFT+9: mapped to a dedicated hotbar slot, i.e., Hotbar 4, button9 - quick select (weapon or item)

So with this combination I can access all of the hotbar buttons in 10 hotbars, I have my most frequently used commands mapped to the 6 face buttons (using the modifier keys) and I have 9 additional hotkeys for anything I want in 1 click without having to switch hotbars (usually different weapons).

The thing I really like about this setup is the flexibility. If I change characters all I have to do is re-familiarize myself with what is on that character's hotbars. Also, I can customize what is in each hotbar fairly quickly.

For example, I am currently playing monks primarily. The main hotbar I use is 1. I have the hotbar buttons assigned like this:

1: Fists of Light
2: fire strike
3: water strike
4: air strike
5: Stunning Fist
6: Finishing Move
7: Trip
8: Weapon set 1
9: Weapon set 2
0: OH **** (usually the strongest stack of healing pots I am carrying)

Those are the buttons I use the most. I usually switch the two weapons out for each quest depending on the mobs. For any other weapons or items, I have the 9 dedicated slots on Hotbar 4 (see above).

So far it has not been too bad to switch to other hotbars for things like other weapons, clickies, potions, stance changes, etc. This was a recent change and I am still getting used to it but it is infinitely better to have everything in my hands - I am gradually adjusting. I pretty much only use the mouse for NPC interaction now.

Again, thanks a ton for this thread - it has helped me very much. Hopefully my setup will help someone else with their gaming experience.

BTW - In Sephiroth's honor my profiler file for this control configuration is named "DDO_Sephiroth" :-).

Calebro
03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I use this Saitek controller (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AL703E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1GAXB53A19X65Z8S9J5G&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846). With 6 face buttons plus the four hat positions I have 10 buttons - enough to address all of the buttons on a hotbar.

That's my 2nd controller. It's fantastic.
Just so you know, the FPS button is mappable as well. As is shift/D-pad. :)

sephiroth1084
04-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Seems the devs are leaning toward some more platforming-intensive questing with some of their new designs. Controllers help a lot in these instances... :D

sephiroth1084
04-18-2010, 03:57 AM
Cleaned up some typos, expanded some definitions, and created a consolidated list of links to everyone else's control schemes in the OP for easy reference.

sephiroth1084
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Nominate this for a featured guide! :D

http://my.ddo.com/turbinecommunity/files/2010/01/tonominateaguide.png

Ann_Shadow
04-30-2010, 02:47 AM
I read your guide. I, too, suffer from RSI and thought the gamepad would be a great way to go.

I went out and got the same gamepad and it works great.

PROBLEM:

The Left Mouse Button does not seem to do much. The Real Left Mouse Button on my mouse does just about everything. Attacks, selects, selects dialog, interacts with NPCs ...

When I set the game pad key to Left Mouse Button, it does just about nothing. For example the banker.
I can click on him and get the dialog ... but cannot select dialog nor will he open my bank acctg.
Does not attack like the Real Left Mouse Button

I did notice that there are a LOT of options ... MMO Interact; Action Interact ...

What do you use?

All that being said, I don't use the left mouse button all that much except to interact with switches and chest and such, so if it will do that that may be all that is needed. (Wow 4 uses of the word that in a sentence and one that that)

Calebro
04-30-2010, 03:52 AM
What do you use?

I use this. (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml) Set whichever button you prefer to emulate the left mouse button and it will then do everything that the real one does.

sephiroth1084
04-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Apparently, some time after I established my controls Turbine changed around some of the default functionality. RMB used to be attack, LMB was activate/interact. Also, one could hold down the LMB to be in mouse-look mode (reverting when you released the button).

These are what my control scheme was predicated upon. One of these days I'll have to start up a F2P account just to try out the new defaults and to present a more up to date guide. Although, I vaguely recall that controls are saved to the PC and are not tied to an individual account, but I may be wrong.

My assumption, for the time being, is that you may be able to assign multiple functions to the LMB (or what you set-up as that button).

Calebro
04-30-2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah, when I used to play years ago I got used to the Classic set-up.
When I returned the default set-up had changed. Classic is still an option though.
A few of the hotkeys are different, as well as the mouse buttons being reversed.
Once I got used to the change, I found that I preferred playing with the newer default setting. Until I started using a gamepad, that is.

But like I said, they're very similar overall. Mouse buttons functionality reversed, and a few hotkeys are different.

sephiroth1084
04-30-2010, 05:08 AM
Yeah, when I used to play years ago I got used to the Classic set-up.
When I returned the default set-up had changed. Classic is still an option though.
A few of the hotkeys are different, as well as the mouse buttons being reversed.
Once I got used to the change, I found that I preferred playing with the newer default setting. Until I started using a gamepad, that is.

But like I said, they're very similar overall. Mouse buttons functionality reversed, and a few hotkeys are different.
Not in game now; do you happen to know where the option is for toggling to Classic mode, so I can update the OP with that info?

Calebro
04-30-2010, 05:24 AM
If I recall correctly it's in the right sidebar under the Keymapping tab within Options.

Yup. As soon as you click Keymapping, the options appear directly underneath that button.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hoppysmurf/zander/ScreenShot00024.jpg

Ann_Shadow
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Which Xpadder do you have? Or is Xpadder software that you use with your existing gamepad???

When I read your post, I thought I should get one of those. And as Seph said

The Logitech was VERY inexpensive so I don't mind the cost of buying a new one.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I went to the Xpadder home page and tried to download it there. They wanted $9.99 for the download and it would not proceed without paying. I went to the download page where it was offered free and downloaded it no problem. I am always leery of paying for something that can be gotten free. But, I don't mind paying for a product I get value from. Do you know if the Xpadder home page is legit? After all, it is a pretty common scam to get a domain name the same as a product and trap the unsuspecting.

TY

MerceeSakes
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
MerceeSakes
Community Member

Modifier Keys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if there is a command to make these keys work independantly? Like I use Mod Key #1 as Rt Cntrl then Mod Key #2 as Left Cntrl. But when I try to key-map my hot keys. Like Lft Cntrl 1 A then Right Cntrl 1 A. The 2nd one overwrites the 1st set.

sephiroth1084
04-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Edit: I went to the Xpadder home page and tried to download it there. They wanted $9.99 for the download and it would not proceed without paying. I went to the download page where it was offered free and downloaded it no problem. I am always leery of paying for something that can be gotten free. But, I don't mind paying for a product I get value from. Do you know if the Xpadder home page is legit? After all, it is a pretty common scam to get a domain name the same as a product and trap the unsuspecting.

TY
Why are you downloading Xpadder? I'm not ever sure what that is (assuming a program for mapping the controller assignments)--I just used the in-game DDO keymapping UI.

Does anyone know if there is a command to make these keys work independantly? Like I use Mod Key #1 as Rt Cntrl then Mod Key #2 as Left Cntrl. But when I try to key-map my hot keys. Like Lft Cntrl 1 A then Right Cntrl 1 A. The 2nd one overwrites the 1st set.
Uh, I'm not quite sure what you're attempting. If you mean that you're trying to make 2 separate modifier keys to triple the functionality (rather than double) of buttons, all I can say is that you can't do so with the DDO keymapping UI: it only seems to allow for a single modifier function that may be assigned to 2 keys, just like everything else. If you want to gain a second modifier you're going to have to work through a separate program (Xpadder I suppose, or perhaps the default software for your gamepad). I think Calebro may have mentioned this in one of his posts.

EruditeNight
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Why are you downloading Xpadder? I'm not ever sure what that is (assuming a program for mapping the controller assignments)--I just used the in-game DDO keymapping UI.

I would assume because they are using a console game pad connected to their PC via USB rather than a USB gamepad meant for PC use. Those come with their own PC drivers, but game console controllers do not, so you need a third-party driver to get one recognized.
I tried xpadder for my PS3 controller but it didn't work right. I think it's designed for XBOX. I used MotioninJoy instead, which is meant for PS3.

EruditeNight
05-06-2010, 03:19 PM

That Saitek controller looks freaking filthy! With the Start/Select type buttons grouped with the other face buttons and the 8-way D-pad, I am drooling! :D

How accurate is the D-pad? I mean, is is actually 8 separate buttons, or is just emulating the analog axes and mashing two buttons at once when you press the corners?

Also, how comfy is it? I have small hands and I use this controller manufactured by Pelican (http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/PL-6302?mv_pc=google_base&tts=20100506023700) (you can get them at Gamestop under the Gamestop brand). I love it because of the small size the unique L2 and R2 buttons placements. (http://sites.google.com/site/gamefit/Afterglow.jpg)

That Saitek kind of looks like the old "Duke" XBOX pads! Is it smaller than it seems?

Calebro
05-06-2010, 05:51 PM
That Saitek controller looks freaking filthy! With the Start/Select type buttons grouped with the other face buttons and the 8-way D-pad, I am drooling! :D

How accurate is the D-pad? I mean, is is actually 8 separate buttons, or is just emulating the analog axes and mashing two buttons at once when you press the corners?

Also, how comfy is it? I have small hands and I use this controller manufactured by Pelican (http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/PL-6302?mv_pc=google_base&tts=20100506023700) (you can get them at Gamestop under the Gamestop brand). I love it because of the small size the unique L2 and R2 buttons placements. (http://sites.google.com/site/gamefit/Afterglow.jpg)

That Saitek kind of looks like the old "Duke" XBOX pads! Is it smaller than it seems?
I haven't actually played with the D-Pad's 8-way option, but I'll test it and let you know. Luckily xPadder has that as a configuration option, so it'll be easy to test quickly.

It's extremely comfortable. In fact, the L2 and R2 buttons are perfect for me because I have small hands. The L1/R1 buttons are small, but distinct. The L2/R2 buttons are larger and directly beneath the L1/R1, so it's VERY easy to use both with just one finger without hitting both by accident, letting me keep my other three fingers underneath (which is comfortable for me, as I assume it is for you by this question).

The Red button on it is designated as a FPS swap mode, but it's also map-able, creating an extra button on the face.

By the sound of your questions, I think you'll love it. Like I said, I'll try the 8-way and get back to you.

EruditeNight
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
It's extremely comfortable. In fact, the L2 and R2 buttons are perfect for me because I have small hands. The L1/R1 buttons are small, but distinct. The L2/R2 buttons are larger and directly beneath the L1/R1, so it's VERY easy to use both with just one finger without hitting both by accident, letting me keep my other three fingers underneath (which is comfortable for me, as I assume it is for you by this question).

Yes, exactly! As you can see from the pic of the gamepad I use now, I like it because I can keep my middle fingers on the R2 and L2 buttons while still keeping three fingers underneath the controller.

The Red button on it is designated as a FPS swap mode, but it's also map-able, creating an extra button on the face.
Oh, that's just too much... That would be perfect for replacing one of my "too lazy for the mouse" keys like the Map/Quest/Inventory toggles I'm currently using on Start and Select.

Calebro
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM

EruditeNight is officially my new HERO! He just found me EIGHT new face buttons that I'd never noticed before!

Using xPadder (ymmv using official keymapping**, which I did not test**see below*) the 8-way D-pad is indeed 8 separate buttons instead of an emulation of both directions.

Four new on directional buttons on the D-pad & their modifiers makes Eight new buttons for me! I can't believe I never noticed that before.... It looks like I'll be figuring out a new configuration and getting rid of my second controller. :)

**logging in and testing now**

Official answer:
Rats. In my initial testing it appeared to work properly. In actual gameplay it is in fact an emulation of both, regardless of DDO's official keymapping vs xPadder. The initial results (I thought) were distinct enough to differentiate, but I was wrong. It was fast enough to be deceptive to me, but it was in fact an emulation.

What I originally did was quickly map Hs^ to <mute>, Hs< to <email>, and Hs(diagonal) to <home> {yes, I use the controller for web browsing from my recliner sometimes}
My audio software creates an onscreen mute visualization when muted, so I assumed that I'd have my answer depending on whether I went to email, home, or mute when that direction was pressed. Apparently the mute visualization disappeared before I had a chance to see it once it emulated the diagonal and my Home page appeared. It happened, but it was too fast for me to see it.
In actual game play, regardless of whether xPadder was used or not, it always went Hs^ first.

In short.... no new face buttons x8. :(

EruditeNight
05-07-2010, 02:24 AM
EruditeNight is officially my new HERO! He just found me EIGHT new face buttons that I'd never noticed before!

Woot! And then???

Official answer:
Rats. In my initial testing it appeared to work properly. In actual gameplay it is in fact an emulation of both, regardless of DDO's official keymapping vs xPadder. The initial results (I thought) were distinct enough to differentiate, but I was wrong. It was fast enough to be deceptive to me, but it was in fact an emulation.

In short.... no new face buttons x8. :(

And then... all my hopes were DASHED!

Well on the upside, I did find this interesting post on a Guild Wars forum: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/guild-wars-with-gamepad-360-t10210954.html?t=10210954

The screenshot of the software in the post seems to have an option for an 8-way D-pad. No idea if it works on any gamepad other than the 360. Edit: It also seems that the software mentioned in that post, Pinnacle Game Profiler, is $19.95, but has a 30-day trial.

I also came across this on a GW forum, about a different bit of software:

Originally Posted by MisterB
As a matter of fact, I have been playing Guild Wars with a Dualshock2 since it was released, via controller to USB device(no driver needed) and a gamepad to keyboard/mouse freeware emulator. I can barely play the game without my controller, now; I find the keyboard too uncomfortable. I'm stubborn, that way.

The software I use: JoytoKey, allows up to 3 keys to bound to one button, so you can execute all the commands that Guild Wars uses(For example, you can bind Control+Shift+Spacebar to a button to call a target, if you want.), and you can assign a button to act as a trigger for combos via it's virtual gamepad function.For, example, I hold L2+ any other button to double the number of buttons I have available. I use L2+ D-pad and [] /\ O X for skills 1-8, as an example. With combo triggers like this, I have 45 keys available, but I only use 31, plus mouse cursor and wheel on the analog sticks.

The most recent dowload link for the software MisterB is talking about is here: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm

I haven't set about trying either of these yet, but I may give it a whirl this weekend.

EruditeNight
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Well on the upside, I did find this interesting post on a Guild Wars forum: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/guild-wars-with-gamepad-360-t10210954.html?t=10210954

The screenshot of the software in the post seems to have an option for an 8-way D-pad. No idea if it works on any gamepad other than the 360. Edit: It also seems that the software mentioned in that post, Pinnacle Game Profiler, is $19.95, but has a 30-day trial.

Well, I tried out Pinnacle Game Profiler and had no success with an 8-way hatswitch. I think I set the profile up correctly, but when I tried it in the game, I still had just the 4 directions. Not sure if this was because I was actually using a PS2 gamepad or if it was due to my own user error in creating the profile. Either way, I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

Maybe someone with a USB Xbox 360 pad can try it out and see if it works. If it does, that would be reason enough for me to buy a wired 360 pad or an adapter for one of my wireless ones.

I still haven't tried JoyToKey, but when I do I'll report back.

prodONEg
05-26-2010, 10:06 PM
The good news is that I tried the Saitek P990 profile editor software and it does allow all 8 D-pad buttons to be mapped, and they all work in DDO.

The bad news is:

The way the diagonal buttons are made on the D-pad (the D-pad is one large button and the diagonals are all concave parts of it) I found it nearly impossible to reliably hit only a diagonal. I was constantly hitting one or both of the two main buttons near the diagonal I was trying to press.
The Saitek profile editor does not allow either the analog or FPS buttons to be mapped like a regular button (at least not that I have found). It treats them as dedicated mode switching buttons for the controller, so you would lose two buttons Calebro.

So the 4 diagonals on the D-pad are not really usable.

If I could redesign the D-pad I would make it 9 separate buttons (up, down, left, right, center and 4 diagonals) that were close enough to be able to be used as a D-pad but with enough spacing to be easy to press separately. That would make 15 face buttons, and that would rock :D.

Calebro
05-26-2010, 10:10 PM
The Saitek profile editor does not allow either the analog or FPS buttons to be mapped like a regular button (at least not that I have found). It treats them as dedicated mode switching buttons for the controller, so you would lose two buttons Calebro.Analog = no
FPS = YES
The Saitek profiler may not, but the DDO keymapping certainly does. I have that button mapped on mine. Twice if you count the modifier.

Try it again under the game's keymapping.

prodONEg
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Analog = no
FPS = YES
The Saitek profiler may not, but the DDO keymapping certainly does. I have that button mapped on mine. Twice if you count the modifier.

Try it again under the game's keymapping.

I just figured out what you meant Calebro - wow. All this time I had no idea that the buttons on the pad were recognizable natively, i.e., without being mapped using a profiler. Wow.

I might need to rethink my control setup. At the very least I ought to be able to do what you suggest by just turning off my FPS button in the profile to get one extra button. For the rest I will need to tinker.

Thanks so much for opening my eyes :D.

Calebro
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry Calebro but I'm not following you.

Because I use the Saitek profiler software for my controller keymapping, if I press either of those buttons on the pad it shifts my controller mode, which at best would just have all my buttons duplicated or, at worst, would shift them to a different map. Either way I can't figure out how to assign any "regular" key to either button, e.g., the "k" key.

Also, I don't see anywhere in the key mapping panel to assign buttons to a joystick. Do you have that? I run Vista and it sees my controller as what it is - a Saitek P990. Am I missing some additional integration that would allow me to map directly to the controller buttons in DDO?

Well, I don't use the Saitek profiler (nor do I even have the software to test it) so I can't really comment on that. Can you disable the FPS button within that software?
If so, disable it, then keymap it to whatever you want within DDO's keymapping.

With K as your example:
Options > Keymapping > {whatever you wanted to map to K, let's call it Hotbar 2, button 4}
Press {that} button on the left. A prompt will appear, telling you that the next button you press witll become that function.
Press the button on the pad that you'd like to use for that function.

For the joystick, you're basically using the W, A, S, D buttons. Assign the movement that corresponds to WASD to ^v<> on the stick in the manner I described above.

Doing this will leave both the joystick and the keyboard active, as two options can be held for each function.

If that doesn't answer your questions, then maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Calebro
05-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I just figured out what you meant Calebro - wow. All this time I had no idea that the buttons on the pad were recognizable natively, i.e., without being mapped using a profiler. Wow.

I might need to rethink my control setup. At the very least I ought to be able to do what you suggest by just turning off my FPS button in the profile to get one extra button. For the rest I will need to tinker.

Thanks so much for opening my eyes :D.

OK, cool. Glad to help! :D
Yeah, I do use a profiler, but it's third party and has nothing to do with DDO or Saitek. I just use it because it has a few functions that I really enjoy. But it absolutely is NOT needed. It's a convenience for me, and nothing more.

sephiroth1084
10-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Edited slightly.

sephiroth1084
11-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Any other players want to share their gamepad set-ups and preferences? I'll keep updating the front page with additional control schemes and such as people post them.

psikick
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I have been using a gamepad for PC games since the first programmable ones came out. IMO there is a better way than described by the OP. You use the mouse in your LEFT hand which allows you to use the gamepad one handed in the right hand. This gives you access to the right stick, the buttons, the right shoulder buttons and the start button without taking your hand off the mouse. The other gamepad controls can be used by either hand for functions that you aren't in a hurry to use like map, inventory and quest panels. I generally use the right stick for movement and turn or strafe and keep the mouse in mouse look mode. You will find that this arrangement will work in almost every game and untie you from the keyboard while retaining use of the mouse.

When I play games with a properly programmed gamepad I seldom have to use the keyboard and I have full use of the mouse. I've found mouse emulation on a gamepad to be unusable. I developed this style by luckily starting to use mice left handed. One of the reasons I started using the mouse in my left hand is that the number pad is on the right on a keyboard and I used this frequently at work as an engineer. I first used Saitek programmable joysticks because they are right handed and then I found out that a gamepad can be used one handed in the right hand, where most of the controls are.

I am currently using a Logitech rumblepad. If you use the Rstick to move you have access to the right shoulder buttons and the Rstick button while moving.

My current configuration is:
Rstick: move forward, back, strafe (mouse in mouselook to move where you want)
Rstick button: cycle weapon set
button1: 1
button2: 2
button3: 3
button4: 4
Rshoulder 1: push to talk
Rshoulder 2: jump (you need to jump while running)
left POV: map, quest, inventory
Lstick button: login password
pause (9): 5
start (10): 6

The only disadvantages to this set up are that you only have quick access to quickbar numbers 1 to 5 but you can still use the keyboard when necessary. You can also use start (10) to shift to a second set of button commands if you want.

You are probably thinking that switching to using the mouse in the left hand is going to be tough. You'll find that it won't take very long at all, you should be able to get comfortable in a few hours. If you decide to do this you might want to consider a permanent switch to make things easier. I think you will find this better than the OP's method and MUCH easier than the keyboard.

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Interesting.

Why don't you care for the mouse emulation on a gamepad? The slower cursor speed?

Other than that, I'd imagine that just using a gamepad would be easier than this hybridized set-up, but everyone has their own preferences, which is why I have the links section at the end of the OP.

I will note, though, that on the Logitech controller, and similar hardware, you could use the mouse with either your left or right hand, since the gamepad is basically symmetrical. The D-pad arrows correspond to the 4 face buttons on the other side of the controller, and everything else is positioned the same with respect to grip.

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I'll request that you edit the title of your post, though, Psikick, as there is no better or worse way to play a game.

I'm encouraging people to post their own set-ups as a way of giving players considering using a gamepad for the first time, or looking to enhance their usage, some options and food for thought, not outright insistence, which is what the tone of your post comes down to.

Some players prefer mouse and keyboard. Some mouse and joystick. Some gamepad. Some use something entirely different. No one way is better than the rest for each individual.

MakeItADouble
01-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I used this thread about a year ago and I'm never going back to a mouse.

I set up a playstation2 remote and love it. I had to buy an adapter off ebay that was dirt cheap. I'm able to use 6 hotbars. Which I never thought was possible at the beginning.

My biggest issue is setting up the MMO interacts. I cannot find a setting that will open portals and click on collectables and select text.. It seems like I can only set it up to do one or the other.. I used to be able to (I think) then when I got a new pc I had to redo everthing and maybe I set it up wrong. Hope that makes sense.

Any thoughts on that??

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I used this thread about a year ago and I'm never going back to a mouse.

I set up a playstation2 remote and love it. I had to buy an adapter off ebay that was dirt cheap. I'm able to use 6 hotbars. Which I never thought was possible at the beginning.

My biggest issue is setting up the MMO interacts. I cannot find a setting that will open portals and click on collectables and select text.. It seems like I can only set it up to do one or the other.. I used to be able to (I think) then when I got a new pc I had to redo everthing and maybe I set it up wrong. Hope that makes sense.

Any thoughts on that??
I had the same issue. As far as I can tell, the only way to deal with this is by downloading a keymapping program (I got Xpadder), and assign whichever button you'd want to use that for as the left mouse button in that. I think I updated the OP with this info a couple months back.

Calebro
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I had the same issue. As far as I can tell, the only way to deal with this is by downloading a keymapping program (I got Xpadder), and assign whichever button you'd want to use that for as the left mouse button in that. I think I updated the OP with this info a couple months back.

So you finally came over to the dark side with xPadder, huh?
I told you, for a free program, it's great.

Therigar
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I use a Logitech controller and find it works just fine. Mapping is different for me from suggestions here but is easy and intuitive for me -- which is the key point.

Much more intuitive in my case than using the keyboard.

MakeItADouble
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I will check it out. TYVM. +1 rep

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
So you finally came over to the dark side with xPadder, huh?
I told you, for a free program, it's great.
Only because I can't find the disc that came with my controller.

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I will check it out. TYVM. +1 rep
CTRL + F "Xpadder" on the first page and you should find it. It's the different colored lettering in the section about the LMB.

psikick
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Interesting.

Why don't you care for the mouse emulation on a gamepad? The slower cursor speed?

Other than that, I'd imagine that just using a gamepad would be easier than this hybridized set-up, but everyone has their own preferences, which is why I have the links section at the end of the OP.

I will note, though, that on the Logitech controller, and similar hardware, you could use the mouse with either your left or right hand, since the gamepad is basically symmetrical. The D-pad arrows correspond to the 4 face buttons on the other side of the controller, and everything else is positioned the same with respect to grip.

Yes, way too slow. If there was a controller for a PC better than a mouse the mouse would have been long gone. I said my way is better because you can use the mouse instead of emulating it. The gamepad can't emulate all the mouse functions, the sensitivity of movement, Lclick, Rclick, wheel and wheel click.

Sure you could use the gamepad in your left hand and the mouse in the right but you don't get control of the gamepad buttons with the left hand and the POV is prone to hitting the wrong direction if you aren't careful. Yes there are many ways to play and no one is right, but I said mine was better than the OP's not better than all others.

sephiroth1084
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, way too slow. If there was a controller for a PC better than a mouse the mouse would have been long gone. I said my way is better because you can use the mouse instead of emulating it. The gamepad can't emulate all the mouse functions, the sensitivity of movement, Lclick, Rclick, wheel and wheel click. Well, you can emulate left and right click, though not the rest.

Sure you could use the gamepad in your left hand and the mouse in the right but you don't get control of the gamepad buttons with the left hand and the POV is prone to hitting the wrong direction if you aren't careful.
The left side is almost entirely identical to the right, so it should make no difference which hand you're using for the gamepad.

I am kind of puzzled as to how you're hitting the face buttons when you need to use one thumb basically all the time for the stick.

And, truthfully, the best set-up would probably be using a gamepad in conjunction with a handless mouse (I think it tracks subtle movements of your head to control the cursor on the screen) with a but set to toggle mouse look on and off, but I'd imagine that the equipment is expensive, and may not calibrate well for a video game environment.

And my request was to leave out qualifying statements like one being better than another, because it is incredibly subjective. I've tried to not comment on whether I feel anyone else's control schemes, hardware set-ups or whatever are better or worse than mine, and I'd appreciate doing the same.

Blank_Zero
02-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Ok, I'm gonna try it seph.... I just recently got my ps3 controller hooked up to play my psx emulators... I've gotten really used to my mouse/keyboard in the last year though.... ill report back tomorrow after I test on my tr....should give me enough of a fresh start lol.

Edit: already having issues using Xpadder....I have no idea how this thing works =P

2nd Edit: Slowly but surely getting it....lol

Edit 3: got it mapped. looks interesting. I shall give it a whirl for a few hours.

sephiroth1084
02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Ok, I'm gonna try it seph.... I just recently got my ps3 controller hooked up to play my psx emulators... I've gotten really used to my mouse/keyboard in the last year though.... ill report back tomorrow after I test on my tr....should give me enough of a fresh start lol.

Edit: already having issues using Xpadder....I have no idea how this thing works =P

2nd Edit: Slowly but surely getting it....lol

Edit 3: got it mapped. looks interesting. I shall give it a whirl for a few hours.
Haha! It took me a little while to figure out Xpadder also. Remember to save your keymapping to a file and then to open that file after you've shutdown your computer. Sometimes I forget. I'll fire up DDO and go to click on the mailbox or something, and nothing will happen, then I'll remember that I forgot to reload the keymap.

Good luck using the gamepad!

Glenalth
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Are there better drivers for the PS3 controllers now or do you still have to use some hacked together junk to make them work?

Blank_Zero
02-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Are there better drivers for the PS3 controllers now or do you still have to use some hacked together junk to make them work?

http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-playstation-3-controller-64-bit-windows-7-vista/

If you use Win7, I'd go with this guide. It's step-by-step and worked perfectly on my laptop =)

Blank_Zero
02-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Haha! It took me a little while to figure out Xpadder also. Remember to save your keymapping to a file and then to open that file after you've shutdown your computer. Sometimes I forget. I'll fire up DDO and go to click on the mailbox or something, and nothing will happen, then I'll remember that I forgot to reload the keymap.

Good luck using the gamepad!

I tried it out...I found it a bit lacking tbh, but kinda fun while it lasted. Between the slow cursor speed, the necessity to still use the mouse for my vast array of clickies, and the inability to find a style that mimicked my use of movement and control, I have to say I'm better suited for the keypad than the gamepad.

I ran everything on Korthos with it, but just couldn't get it to feel right.

I'm sure it's a blast for you Seph, just not my cup of tea.

On that note, I would definitely like to see some of your claimed "acrobatics". I get told I'm too good at jumping about to be using the keyboard on occasion lol. (The ladder jumping part of the 3BC quest comes to mind)

Edit: Xpadder is the devil! THE DEVIL I SAY! I demand more keymappers with freeware/shareware capabilities!!

sephiroth1084
02-12-2011, 04:34 AM
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAMEPAD! The Logitch Dual Action I'M LEAVING THE INFO UP HERE UNTIL I FIND ANOTHER SUITABLE CONTROLLER, BUT THE THING HAS CONNECTIVITY ISSUES THAT CREEP UP. MY FIRST ONE WENT SOUTH AFTER 2 YEARS OR SO, AND MY CURRENT ONE HAS LASTED MAYBE A YEAR. Looked around a bit, and apparently this is a rather common issue.

In short, the controller periodically disconnects and reconnects (USB device disconnect/reconnect sound for WinXP plays), which has two things happen. First, it stalls DDO for a moment. Second, if you didn't release the analog sticks immediately upon hearing the first sound, when it reconnects the dead zone or neutral position for the sticks will be reset to wherever you were holding it. So, if you were running forward, the top of the stick area will be neutral (standing still), and the cetner (the normal neutral) will count as backward, meaning you will run in reverse when not touching the controller. Or you can end up spinning, or running sideways, or your cursor could end up getting stuck on the edge of the screen somewhere.

It's very ****ing annoying. Tonight it went from a mild bother to making the game basically unplayable for periods of time. For example, it took me 5 minutes to run from the airship tower in House K up to Barrow outside Vault of Night. While Hasted and under the House P Pendant of Time. This, because every few steps, the controller would reset, and have me running in a new direction.

Going to see about finding a replacement, at which time I will edit the OP to remove this gamepad. For the time being, however, I'll leave it be, as it still is the most comfortable and usable pad I've had otherwise.

sephiroth1084
03-13-2011, 08:32 PM
To clarify this after some testing, it seems that something in the connection between the cord and the gamepad itself wears out at the controller end. When I've found an alternate controller I'll open it up and see what's going on, and try to repair it. For the time being, I've looped the cord around the controller twice in order to take pressure off of the connecting spot, which has worked.

tkrenaud
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I use madcatz. I have been using controller for 3+ years. (Also use one for LOTRO) I also have had issues with Logitech which I have not had with Madcatz. Not sure if you decided against this or not, but I have a function for using/picking up things. This is very handy for grabbing items when you just need to grab it and escape. It can be difficult to click on an item with mobs around sometimes.

sephiroth1084
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
A friend gave me a converter to use a PS2 controller on a PC. I need to find where I dropped it, find one of my PS2 controllers that are in decent condition and test that out. I have a feeling I'll be unhappy with the Start and Select buttons, as they're kind of sunken and difficult to hit quickly from both hands, but we'll see. If it works, that will probably be my replacement for the Logitech.

anto_capone
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller, no emulation software. I got tired of wrist pain of using the keyboard, and haven't had any pain since I switched. I hope its ok that I post my set up. :)

I use the up and down on the d-pad to cycle active hotbars, which has led me to try to maximize hotbar efficiency. The d-pad actually works great on my generic controller (Joytech Neo SE), better than any other i've found. I only ever have one hotbar displaying on my screen at a time, which is nice. :)

Button rundown:
Left trigger: modifier
Right trigger: attack/interact
Left bumper: cancel
Right bumper: cycle next enemy
Left stick: move+strafe
Right stick: look
Left stick button: block/tumble (I might eventually change this, because tumbling this way is a pain)
Right stick button: jump
Back button: loot all (lol I know, havent found a better use for it yet)
Start button: toggle mouse look
X button: 1
Y button: 2
A button: 3
B button: 4
D-pad left: 9
D-pad right: 10
D-pad up/down: cycle hotbar up/down

With modifier held (left trigger):
Right trigger: not used (yet)
Left bumper: cycle objects
Right bumper: interact with object (ninja style)
Right/Left sticks + their buttons are not used with modifier
Back button: 'hard' select (if you want to put a stoneskin on your air ele)
Start button: map (idk why, I never use it either)
X button: 5
Y button: 6
A button: 7
B button: 8
D-pad is not used with modifier (yet). I've actually planned to use these modifier for specific spells, when the time comes that I need them.

With my monk, cycling combos are easy. With my other melee's, it's always been cake. With my wizard, it gets a bit tricky managing all those spells into accessible form with the controller, but I've gotten comfortable with this basic set up:
Main hotbar, which I default to mostly: all nuking spells
Hotbar 2, which I cycle to frequently: all crowd control
Hotbar 3: a few random spells I don't use often, and also some wands
Hotbar 4: situational spells, like ddoor and knock, along with various limited used clickies
Hotbar 20, which is cycled easily one down from my default hotbar 1: long term buff spells
Hotbar 19: short term buffs (haste, rage, displace) also curse pots and general clickies
Hotbar 18: bunch of junk like cookies and stuff

It works great, for me. :)

I am looking forward to rolling a healer, and making use of all the buttons that I don't ever use. Right now, I have 6 buttons that aren't mapped at all, I been debating on what to load them as but figure when I roll the healer they will be needed. The main problem I foresee is that I still will have to use the F1-F12 keys in raids on the keyboard to target people quicker. It comes easy to me in 6 man parties, being able to just tap an F-key with my pinky to throw a buff on someone or a quick heal/reconstruct/ect; but the 12 man raids seems it might be a challenge for a healer with a controller; with my set up anyway.

Hope this was ok to post, and sorry if it wasn't. :)

sephiroth1084
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I definitely encourage others to post their styles here. I'm fully aware that while my set-up works well for me, it is not the best format for everyone, and that some of the versions people have posted to this thread will appeal to some folks. Added a link to your post in the OP. :)

Westerner
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
The Logitch Dual Action I'M LEAVING THE INFO UP HERE UNTIL I FIND ANOTHER SUITABLE CONTROLLER, BUT THE THING HAS CONNECTIVITY ISSUES THAT CREEP UP. MY FIRST ONE WENT SOUTH AFTER 2 YEARS OR SO, AND MY CURRENT ONE HAS LASTED MAYBE A YEAR.

I've used Logitech gamepads with DDO for more than a year and had no issues.

Some seem to be heavier duty than others.

I've got 3 of the Rumble Gamepad (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Rumble-Gamepad-Vibration-Motors/dp/B003VAM392/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301331318&sr=8-2) that feel solid and have held up well. 4.5 star rating at Amazon.

I have 1 of the Dual Action (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-Action-Game-Pad/dp/B0000ALFCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301331318&sr=8-1) gamepads. It feels cheap. Gave it to my kid who doesn't play very often. 3 star rating at Amazon.

sephiroth1084
03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I've used Logitech gamepads with DDO for more than a year and had no issues.

Some seem to be heavier duty than others.

I've got 3 of the Rumble Gamepad (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Rumble-Gamepad-Vibration-Motors/dp/B003VAM392/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301331318&sr=8-2) that feel solid and have held up well. 4.5 star rating at Amazon.

I have 1 of the Dual Action (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-Action-Game-Pad/dp/B0000ALFCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301331318&sr=8-1) gamepads. It feels cheap. Gave it to my kid who doesn't play very often. 3 star rating at Amazon.
That's fair. I didn't bother with the rumble version since none of the games I was buying a controller for had a rumble feature (DDO, SNES and NES ROMs).

After some testing, it seems that the connection where the cord meets the controller gets loosened inside or something--maybe worn out from extended use/movement--and causes the connection to the computer to drop as you move your hands.

When I posted here even small movements were causing problems. For the time being (until I can afford a new controller), I've looped the cord around the center of the controller twice. This takes the pressure off of the joining point and acts as a pretty substantial buffer. It works, but makes reaching across to the Start and Select keys a little cumbersome and reduces the amount of distance I can pull the controller back to me, so I find myself sitting up more often than reclining (though that may also be an indicator that I need a new glasses prescription as well).

PwnHammer40K
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
I love using gamepads on the PC, and playing doing Slayer runs in the Wilderness zones with a gamepad is a great way to chill with DDO and play it like an arcade game for a while :p

Thanks for this thread.

dethstrike
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Could anyone point me in the direction of an xpadder profile to use with my PS3 controller?

I'd like to save the time of building from scratch if at all possible since game time is short enough as it is...

Thanks in advance of any help!

donfilibuster
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
What I use: DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAMEPAD! I'M LEAVING THE INFO UP HERE UNTIL I FIND ANOTHER SUITABLE CONTROLLER, BUT THE THING HAS CONNECTIVITY ISSUES THAT CREEP UP. MY FIRST ONE WENT SOUTH AFTER 2 YEARS OR SO, AND MY CURRENT ONE HAS LASTED MAYBE A YEAR. Looked around a bit, and apparently this is a rather common issue.

2 years! I never got them to last beyond three months :/
I somehow worn off the L and R buttons and the directional pad on three pads so far.
L for heal on my fvs or wall of fire on the wiz and R for blocking.
So far the fourth and current one is logitech and outlasted the others altough the forward button is getting weak.

silvermesh
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Edited to update a few things. Broke down and got an older free version of XPadder. Made the L1 button "ctrl" so i can fit a ton more stuff in, as well XPadder allowed me to disable diagonals on my dpad(which makes it a lot less touchy in deciding what im trying to do)

I use an Afterglow PS3 controller. I actually like it better than the regular PS3 controller because they have the left stick and D-Pad locations switched and most games have stick based movement nowadays.

I hooked it up to play DDO one day when my wireless keyboard took a dump, and I haven't looked back.

control scheme is as such:
(edited to update)

L2- shift key
L1- ctrl

R2- Attack
+L2- Interact
+L1- Hireling 1 Button 6(attack/interact)
R1- Next weapon set
+L2- Previous weapon set
+L1- Block

Left Stick- move forward/back, strafe left/right
+L2- Navigate menu choices(conversations, quest reward lists, etc)
L3- Charge/Fire Rune Arm
+L2- Accept menu choice

Right Stick- turn left/right rotate camera up/down
+L2 rotate camera right/left zoom in/out
+L1- (up/down) next/previous hotbar
R3- Jump
+L1- Hireling 1(pet) Button 2 (come here)

Triangle- Hotbar 1 Slot 1
+L2- Hotbar 1 Slot 6
+L1- Active Hotbar Slot 1
+L1+L2- Active Hotbar Slot 6
Square- Hotbar 1 Slot 2
+L2- Hotbar 1 Slot 7
+L1- Active Hotbar Slot 2
+L1+L2- Active Hotbar Slot 7
X- Hotbar 1 Slot 3
+L2- Hotbar 1 Slot 8
+L1- Active Hotbar Slot 3
+L1+L2- Active Hotbar Slot 8
Circle- Hotbar 1 Slot 4
+L2- Hotbar 1 Slot 9
+L1- Active Hotbar Slot 4
+L1+L2- Active Hotbar Slot 9

Start- Hotbar 1 Slot 5
+L2- Hotbar 1 Slot 10
+L1- Active Hotbar Slot 5
+L1+L2- Active Hotbar Slot 10
Select- Target Next Enemy
+L2- Target Next Interactable
PS Home- toggle mouselook
+L2- loot all(chest)

Up(D-Pad)- Esc(Clear Target)
+L2- Target Self
+L1- Target my Pet
Left- Target Party 1
+L2- Target Party 4
+L1- Target Party 7
+L1+L2- Target Party 10
Down- Target Party 2
+L2- Target Party 5
+L1- Target Party 8
+L1+L2- Target Party 11
Right- Target Party 3
+L2- Target Party 6
+L1- Target Party 9

The real keys to me are targeting and interacting. don't try to use the special function interacts (like MMO interact), because they all will not do what you want them to in the heat of combat(which is when you cant just grab your mouse and DO it). The Interact function is one of the keys to this game whether you use a gamepad or not. say goodbye to headaches trying to pick up collectable bags, open doors, throw switches, etc. I use party targeting a lot in pugs with my cleric, but since i can only fit a normal party size it won't be much use in raids(hope your tank is one of the first six, hehe). Just make sure not to leave your mouse cursor hovering over anything or you will not be able to attack or interact with ANYTHING. This is why I typically play 90% of the game in mouselook. if i need to mess with menus or inventory I just hit my home button and grab the mouse.

My movement is set up to feel more like a FPS where it's a breeze to circle strafe and look around. I always have one hotbar on screen with all of my weapon sets on it so I can see which one I'm on when hot switching back and forth. I only have one character who fills a bar, and my advice is to put your most used set in the MIDDLE, so it's easy to get back to it, and the more remote chance of using it the further away I put it.(and remember that the sets fill down in your inventory, so if you try and set up 1,2,3 accross it will leave blank spaces between all your sets that will put you unarmed), Just don't forget that you have to set up the sets again each time you want to change their order, because switching them on your hotbar will just confuse the hell outta you.

I tried mouse emulation on a stick at first but it's so slow it takes me less time to just grab my mouse and use it when I need to than using the stick.

After edit comments:
After adding the ctrl function to the L1 button I was able to streamline a lot of the functions and add the ability to target individuals in an entire raid group(which is even easier with the ability to disallow diagonals on the dpad, as it would be someone touchy trying to target specific PCs before) DPad is for friendly targeting. up is for me and my pet, and the clear button, the party target commands go accross the bottom of the dpad 1, 2, 3, shift 4, 5, 6, and so on.

the hotbar commands go around the 4 main function buttons, then over to the start button in order. I keep my five most important abilities on those first five buttons, then next most important on 6-0(by adding the L2 button), then my active hotbar can be switched from 2-whatever, depending on how much stuff i want to cram in there. the commands are the same as hotbar 1 commands, except adding the L1 to all. This means I can easily manage two hotbars at once, and the second one can be switched out easily for buffs, item clickies, what have you. where I was using the mouse for all these secondary functions before. frees up time as well as precious screen space.

Veriden
01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I saw reference to this thread in the general discussion of game pad settings. I don't have time right now to go into how what does what for my monk and favored soul but I use an xbox360 controller with general set up as

Left thumb stick: Move/strife
Right thumb stick: turn
A: Jump
B: hot bar 1 #3
Y: hot bar 1 #2
X: hot bar 1 #1
Left bumper: hot bar 1 #4
Right bumper: hot bar 1 #5
Left trigger: mod key 1
Right trigger mod key 2
D pad up: hot bar 2 #1
D pad right: hot bar 2 #2
D pad down: hot bar 2 #3
D pad left: hot bar 2 #4
Start: use
Back: mouse look toggle

Primary spells/ki strikes are keyed to the x,y, b buttons and their modifiers that is 9 total abilities for primary which is more than enough most of the time. For situational spells like remove curse I have them keyed to the number pad on the keyboard for easy access.

The d pad I use for mostly clickies and gear swaps

sephiroth1084
01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for posting, folks. :)

Always glad to see this up in front so more people interested in using a gamepad can find some suggestions to help them out.

SouthernGenius
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Full controller setup.
100 shortcuts.
Mouse and Panel navigation.
Rune Arm and Pet Attack.
Too much to list.

My thread is a little long to copy over to this one (I don't want to feel like I'm hijacking Seph's great post). So, to see my 100 shortcut game controller setup, go to the following thread for full explanation on hotbar assignments & controller diagram, please refer to the original thread here:

SouthernGenius (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=360395)

sephiroth1084
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Included link to your thread. I'll have to read that in more depth sometime soon, but on a quick glance, I found it hard to find where you are getting up to so many shortcuts.

Thanks for sharing here!

Phemt81
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I am using a personal configuration since day 1 of playing.

The only thing i am curious about, and didn't set in my config, is the "shift" button.
Does it allow you to jump to the next hotbar? Cause i ve seen some people has set it to go to hotbar slot 5-6-etc. how is that done?

I am just asking what exactly does the shift command, so that i could use it on my configuration to improve it and use more hotbar slots. Then i could post my personal config to this thread.

Hope i explained decently! Thanks for replies.

sephiroth1084
02-03-2012, 10:09 AM
The shift command is something you hold down while pressing your other buttons.

If you have button A that does 1 thing, holding shift and pressing button A will do something else.
You can assign shift to a button in the UI panel.

For example, button 1 on my gamepad is Attack, but Shift+Button 1 is Hotbar 1, spot 4 (smite evil on my paladin, Circle of Death of my wizard, etc..).

Phemt81
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks Sephiroth.

Is that called just "shift" on keymapping option window?

How do you set which hotbar number/slot it will trigger the associated button?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb...

Calebro
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Sephiroth.

Is that called just "shift" on keymapping option window?

How do you set which hotbar number/slot it will trigger the associated button?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb...

It's called Modifier Key #1 (and Modifier Key #2) or some such.
You program it the same way that you would any other key. If you press a key that's mapped to a modifier first, it holds both of them coterminously.

Example (from a regular keyboard to explain):
Map Alt to a modifier.
Map Hotbar 2 slot 1 as Alt+1
Map Hotbar 2 slot 2 as Alt+2
etc

From a gamepad:
Map Mod1 to R3 and Mod2 to L3
(if Hotbar 1 slot 1 is X, then: )
Map Hotbar 2 slot 1 as L3+X
(if Hotbar 1 slot 9 is Dpad>, then: )
Map Hotbar 2 slot 9 as R3+Dpad>

It's simple once you understand how the modifiers work within the mapping.

Phemt81
02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
It's called Modifier Key #1 (and Modifier Key #2) or some such.
You program it the same way that you would any other key. If you press a key that's mapped to a modifier first, it holds both of them coterminously.

Example (from a regular keyboard to explain):
Map Alt to a modifier.
Map Hotbar 2 slot 1 as Alt+1
Map Hotbar 2 slot 2 as Alt+2
etc

From a gamepad:
Map Mod1 to R3 and Mod2 to L3
(if Hotbar 1 slot 1 is X, then: )
Map Hotbar 2 slot 1 as L3+X
(if Hotbar 1 slot 9 is Dpad>, then: )
Map Hotbar 2 slot 9 as R3+Dpad>

It's simple once you understand how the modifiers work within the mapping.

Thanks, your explanation is quite good.

When i input a a key as a modifier, should it ask for an associated button?

Calebro
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks, your explanation is quite good.

When i input a a key as a modifier, should it ask for an associated button?

It asks you to associate a button during the mapping process. First you clear the default keybind (if there is one) by clicking the Clear button on the right of said keybind. Next you choose the function that you want to map by clicking it's name on the left. When you click that button a small pop-up will appear asking you to associate a button with that function. You then press the button of your choice and it will accept it and place it in the keybinds for you to see.
If that doesn't answer it for you then I am obviously misunderstanding the question.

edit:
Try it out on some function that you're not going to use to see how it works, and then clear that function again once you understand it. It will become quite obvious very quickly with a little toying around. But the toying should happen in non-essential and little (or never) used functions, just in case.

Phemt81
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks a lot Calebro! It is working now.

The only thing i didn't see is the mod 2 button.

+1 to everyone gave good advices here, when i can. :)

axel15810
03-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Just bought this pad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAM392/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Not bad, although I'm not a fan of the slanted RT and LT buttons. I'm going to play my melee with this pad until I get the hang of things. My main is a cleric though..which is why I have waited to buy a pad. I have no idea how I'm going to heal raids with this thing. I'll figure something out though.

Zyerz
03-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I use my xbox controller to play my melee and my combat casters. But when playing healers, the controller is out of the question, targeting is simply too hard to pull off.

As for the layout, it's incredibly simple. I'd do a diagram and show you how I managed, but I don't have my computer atm.

DDO already has the movement settings, so I only needed to tweak the hotkeys.

L: Blocking/ runearm if needed

Left bumper: hotkey 1

D pad up: hotkey 2

D pad right: hotkey 3

D pad down: hotkey 4

D pad left: hotkey 5

R: Hotkey 6 (usually fists of light, combat feat, or healing)

Right bumper: Hotkey 7

Y: Hotkey 8

B: Hotkey 9

X: Attack

Select: Push to talk

Start: Mouselook

Left Joystick: Movement

Right joystick: Angle (without mouselook, it just moves the mouse cursor around)

Clicking right joystick: Select

Clicking left joystick: Use

(you have to play with mouselook on, for improved performance and movement)
(I left out hotkey 0, and I always have my keyboard and mouse with me, so in the end, it works great for melee and combat/nuke casters.

Before U13, I was able to do interact, select, and use (items, NPC's, etc) with the X button, but for some reason, I can't seem to do that anymore... :/

I saw someone play with a Wii controller once... Hehe It was great for mouselook, but it lacked buttons for all the hotkeys. (The guy played an AA, and turned off auto targetting, so he relied on his aiming skills... Pretty fun setup imo)

axel15810
03-29-2012, 03:22 AM
i figured this thread would be a good place for this question:

Is there any way to toggle between 2 different key mappings? I use a gamepad for my melee toon but use my mouse and keyboard for my healer. Every time I have to reset I switch I have to reset my keymappings.

sephiroth1084
03-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Each key assignment can receive 2 mappings. You could have Jump assigned to gamepad button 1 and Spacebar, for example. Not sure if that's what you're asking.

Komitulek
05-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I have an old, but nice, Saitek Cyborg Rumble. If their current product(s) are as good as this baby, I have no problem recommending them. The cord is immaculate and shows no damage after years of use, it is comfortable and easy to use, and it still performs as good as when it was new, if not better as it is 'broken in' now.

aristarchus1000
03-15-2014, 04:16 PM
bumping a thread because I think it is still useful and relevant, and I see links to it.

Anyone try attaching the Chatpad (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Chatpad-Genuine-Original-Controllers/dp/B00GIYU6OW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394917620&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+360+chatpad) to the xbox360? I've been playing with an xbox 360 controller for a while now, but this seems terribly useful, but there does seem to be some weirdness with regard to drivers.

dlee25
04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
I just found this thread thought id revive it. I just got a ps4 controller hooked up and I've been having problems with the kidnapping and emulation, I think ill have to map it entirely through ps4windows to the keyboard and then map the keyboard in ddo. But the trackpad on the ps4 controller works as a mouse so that could make things nice. If i get it running well ill post again :)

Jorgon_Roderson
12-13-2017, 11:25 AM
rise... rise...RISE GAMEPAD THREAD AND DO MY BIDDING!

Ok, I've been using an XBox 360 gamepad since I started DDO. It works great for most time sensitive needs in-game (Chat panel excluded).

I have my setup mapped to select party members and heal/buff. Here's my question, Is there a way to keymap a "unselect" button? A right mouse button click in an open (unselectable) area will do this but mapping a gamepad button to act as the right mouse button does not seem to be an option or work correctly. I'd love to be able to not blindly fumble for the mouse while in quest to do this. I know there is an option to "select nearest combat target" (or however it's listed) and that could be a band-aid... but I'd like to let auto-targeting do it's job (so I can self heal/buff without selecting myself to do so). Thanks for any help you can provide. :D

Current Keymap for Xbox 360 gamepad, feedback is appreciated.:

Left bumper (L1):Modifier/shift
Left trigger (L2): Heal (Hotbar 1 slot 7)

Right bumper (R1): Call hire (Hire hotbar 1 slot 2)
Right bumber/mod (R1+L1): ? this is where the above function will go
Right trigger (R2): Attack/interact
Right tigger/mod (R2+L1): Block

Left joystick: Movement (walk forwards, backwards, strafe left and right)
Left joystick click: Main Weapon Set (Hotbar 1 slot 8)

D-pad left: Select myself
D-pad up: Select party member 2
D-pad right: Select party member 3
D-pad down: Inventory screen
D-pad left+L1: Select party member 4
D-pad up+L1: Select party member 5
D-pad right+L1: Select party member 6
D-pad down+L1: Enhancements / Epic Destinies depending on level

Right joystick: mouse movement (cursor or camera)
Right joystick click: change mouse view (like pressing "T")

X: Hotbar 1 slot 1
Y: Hotbar 1 slot 2
B: Hotbar 1 slot 3
X+L1:Hotbar 1 slot 4
Y+L1: Hotbar 1 slot 5
B+L1: Hotbar 1 slot 6
A+L1: Left mouse click

Select: Expand map
Start: Main Menu