PDA

View Full Version : !st Tank Build Feedback Appreciated

terascque
07-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.96
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 16 Chaotic Good Warforged Male
(12 Fighter \ 3 Barbarian \ 1 Sorcerer)
Hit Points: 260
Spell Points: 190
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 16
Reflex: 6
Will: 5

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Strength 18 22 24
Dexterity 10 12 12
Constitution 18 18 20
Intelligence 8 10 10
Wisdom 6 6 6
Charisma 6 6 6

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Balance 3 8 3
Bluff -2 -2 -2
Concentration 4 5 5
Diplomacy -2 -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2 -2
Heal -2 -2 -2
Hide 1 1 -4
Intimidate 2 15.5 15.5
Jump 4 7 2
Listen -2 -2 -2
Move Silently 1 1 -4
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 2 10.5 10.5
Search 0 0 0
Spot -2 -2 -2
Swim 4 7 -3
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a n/a

Level 1 (Barbarian)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Repair (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Composite Plating
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Fast Movement
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Light Fortification
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Rage
Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Trip
Feat: (Automatic) Warforged Resistances

Level 2 (Sorcerer)
Skill: Intimidate (+0.5)
Skill: Repair (+0.5)
Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
Spell (1): Repair Light Damage
Spell (1): Mage Armor

Level 3 (Fighter)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Repair (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Slicing Blow
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency

Level 4 (Barbarian)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Balance (+1)
Feat: (Automatic) Damage Reduction
Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge

Level 5 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave

Level 8 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense

Level 9 (Fighter)

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
Skill: Repair (+2)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)
Skill: Intimidate (+2)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost III
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost III
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost III
Enhancement: Barbarian Improved Damage Reduction I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Fighter Flanking Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Flanking Mastery II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction I
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction II
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction III
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I

Only reason the tomes are listed in the build was to account for the fact that this is going to be a 32pt Build. Decided to go WF and splashed in a level of Sorc for self healing. Not sure if this is a good build or not. Basically wanted good intimadte, good AC, damage reduction, looking to dish out a good amount of damage, and take a good amount of damage well being able to heal and stay healed in the middle of a fight so I dont die form lack of healing. I threw in the third level of Barb for a couple of enhancemnts I wanted.

Feedback appreciated this is a first time tank build for me. Always play a cleric or caster. Lemme know what you guys think please.

Thanks

DaveyCrockett
07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Only reason the tomes are listed in the build was to account for the fact that this is going to be a 32pt Build.

There is a box you can check in the Character Generator that gives you the 32-points to start with. (It's under the attributes at level 1 distribution).

As for the build, I don't have time to scan through it (off to work), but rest assured - advice is on it's way.

Noctus
07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Looks like a nice and viable build. Sorcerer will let you save a big amount of plat, since you dont need to chug potions, but just whip yourself up with a Repair Crit Wand.

You should definately go down the THF-way all the way. Take them all.
(if you are in doubt what to drop for it leave Cleave out. THF has a very similar effect, only does it dish out more damage with its glancing blows)

The Feat "Slicing Blow" i am not sure about it. Never heared about someone who said it was a good feat to take.

hydra_ex
07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
IMO, the only purpose of a sorc level will be to save you plat in between encounters. The ranger I play seldom has time to whip out a wand, heal himself, and then go back to using his main weapon. I honestly don't see the benefit of taking that sorcerer level. (In fact, a wizard level would probably be more beneficial, as you have no need of spell points, your intelligence is higher, and you can pick a wizard bonus feat.

Not many people seem to rolling up standard warforged thf builds lately, and you can do so much more with a 32-pt build.

sultro
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
have you run a look at a 6 ranger/10 barb build? you can use essentially the same stats. putting all 4 points from 32 pt build into dex should get you the dex you need for the two weapon line(need a +1 tome by like 12th level?). you get tempest(+25% attack speed is huge) and as a bonus you get manyshot. you lose self healing, but can top off the party. might check out dwarf for that build if your not too attached to warforged. but should be viable with any race.

once the level cap goes up, you can get the additional 4 barb levels for the improved threat range enhancements.

yes, i know you can't cast spells till you can put on a +5 wisdom item(3 if your not warforged) but really what 1st level ranger spell can you just not live without? i recommend rams might once you do get an item that you can switch on to cast a spell.

only equipment note i'll bother with is a shroud tier 3 air air air weapon(i think dominion material but check the chart to be sure). aside from the other abilities, it has a stackable haste boost on being struck possibility(concentrate on what your good on!)

terascque
07-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Your right that was a bad choice on the Sorc splash should have done wiz. I didn't take it for the wand healing though I took it to be able to heal myself via repair light in combat. As I said I mainly play clerics and I hate having to heal WF because it uses to many sp's and reduces the amount for other members which increases the chance of a wipe in my opinion. Since I am not familiar with tank types this might be a stupid question but someone suggested removing cleave and finishing out the THF line. What are the rest of the THF feats that can be taken? Also thanks for the info about the 32pt build first time using that thing so I had no idea about an option to select that. Also one other quick question since I am thinking about mainly a fighter build why would I want to go THF? That would cost me the use of a shield, which is what I had in mind. If I am not going to be using the shield then I might as well scratch out all he fighter levels and go straight barb. Or am I missing something here. Again sorry if these are stupid questions. First time tank build and all.

Thanks again for the help.

Strykersz
07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
With a 10 base dex, you're unlikely to have a good enough ac to matter once you hit GH.

Emanon67
07-18-2008, 08:00 AM
For your build I would add 4 pts of INT so you can cast 1st level Wizard spells. Use the shield spell if you go the 2-handed fighting route also this way you can have repair light as castable also for your self healing backup outsideof wands and potions. For your wizard feat take extend to give you sheild for 2 mins per cast.

I would also take the mitheral body if your taking a level of caster (15% spell failure) caompared to the Adamatine (35% failure). With the inscribed armor taken at least once your percentages go to (10% mith/30% adamantine).

Angelus_dead
07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Only reason the tomes are listed in the build was to account for the fact that this is going to be a 32pt Build. Decided to go WF and splashed in a level of Sorc for self healing. Not sure if this is a good build or not. Basically wanted good intimadte, good AC, damage reduction, looking to dish out a good amount of damage, and take a good amount of damage well being able to heal and stay healed in the middle of a fight so I dont die form lack of healing. I threw in the third level of Barb for a couple of enhancemnts I wanted.
I don't see any reason to have a sorc level. You say "healed in the middle of a fight", but you CANNOT do that. AT ALL. If you try, you'll fail, and it'll be worse than when you started. Sorc levels are especially useless for someone with Adamantine Body.

The reason to take a sorc or wiz level is to save plat at low levels, because you can heal yourself off wands or spellpoints instead of potions. If you have a caster already, just mail some potions over.

In addition, you don't take Fighter Armor Mastery or Fighter Stun Tactics, which means you don't take the benefits of the fighter class. FAM is how fighters get a "good AC". So why would you have so many fighter levels when instead you could've been barbarian or something?