PDA

View Full Version : Abbot: Tile Puzzle

Atax
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
EDITED: 07/12/08

I rarely get to puzzle practice for Abbot due to an almost absolute lack of interest on Thelanis. There are cult groups that pop up sometimes, but not often enough for my tastes. That being said, I've tried recording the tile room, since the other two rooms are simple.

As I understand it, the tile puzzle room has two puzzles. Person A guides person B, then person B guides person A. That being said, we've only gotten the first one recorded. There appears to only be two instances of this puzzle, as follows.

Abbot Tile Puzzle Pt1 (http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9088/abbottilepuz1rs4.png)

In variation A, the second row (from the bottom) appears to be the easiest path. Start when the bottom right tile disappears, run until the red number and stop (Guiding your partner), then continue running when the next tile is available. Rinse, repeat.

In variation B, the first row (from the bottom) appears to be the easiest path. Start when both bottom right tiles disappear, and leap over it. (Jump, Speed boost, haste, feather fall, whatever you can, it isn't very hard.) After you land, continue running and do not stop. Tiles will appear before your feet and disappear after you.

In variation C, the first row (from the bottom) appears to be the easiest path. Start when the bottom right APPEARS, and continue running all the way until the 12th tile. (Second to last.) Wait until the last tile appears, run and jump up to the ledge.

This isn't a definitive guide, by any means.. If anyone has contributions, corrections or anything else to add, feel free. I will continue to edit this until we have it down.

CREDIT: Solreth and I drew the maps, but it was recorded with the help of numerous players of Thelanis.
Solreth
Brinks
Rushh
Talonkage
Bespun
Ebrithil-Xoriat
Tethtoril
Derja
Validosius
Stonespliter
Dulcid
Kardinal
Xunis
& anyone else my poor memory has missed! Thanks much.

Milolyen
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
The tiles are randomized and you will pretty much never see the same pattern twice. If you do you will have seen so many that you wont realize it. Best bet is either

a) practice coordination with person crossing shadowing the guide (crosser stays a couple steps behind guide and when guide moves crosser moves)

or

b) pure luck by just running and jumping.

Have seen people get pretty far across with option a (even before mod 7 changes) and with practice it is more reliable but have actually seen 3 people cross using option b.

Milolyen

croger1520033
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
The tiles are randomized and you will pretty much never see the same pattern twice. If you do you will have seen so many that you wont realize it. Best bet is either

a) practice coordination with person crossing shadowing the guide (crosser stays a couple steps behind guide and when guide moves crosser moves)

or

b) pure luck by just running and jumping.

Have seen people get pretty far across with option a (even before mod 7 changes) and with practice it is more reliable but have actually seen 3 people cross using option b.

Milolyen

You are wrong man they are not totally random op had it right, if you are not very good at detecting patterns which it is obvious you are not, do not assume things are random.

debo
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Milolyen

Abbot Raid FTW!

Garth_of_Sarlona
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
You are wrong man they are not totally random op had it right, if you are not very good at detecting patterns which it is obvious you are not, do not assume things are random.

Actually... In defense of Milolyen:

The phasing tile room isn't random past its initialization. That is - it'll be different each time you go there, but the cycle isn't random.

Garth

Angelus_dead
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Actually... In defense of Milolyen:
That was then. Eladrin told you how the Abbot tiles worked at that time, but we know the quest has changed since then. It's conceivable that the original system of complete randomness was leading to some combinations that were inadvertently much harder than desired, so they instead hand-build a few patterns and made the quest pick one of them each time you try.

totmacher
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Unless it's changed during Mod 7, the tiles are randomized at quest beginning.

I know because I was in there quite a bit during Mod 6 and I usually got people across the first tiles side.

Atax
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I would like confirmation on this.. but after running practice and getting the goggles around 10 times, it has always been one of these two. I hear from friends there is a third variation, but I'm very positive that variation A has been there multiple times.

Milolyen
07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes I know there is a pattern once you go in (I am actually VERY good at seeing patterns to things like this) however when it first came out all the way upto when I stopped running it on a regular basis. It was different for EVERY INSTANCE meaning the pattern you see this time will (WAY) more than likely NOT be the same pattern you would see if you started the quest over again and THAT pattern will be different from the NEXT time you go in so on and so forth.

Croger - Reading comprenhension for the win, SPECIALLY before you go and start insulting people. Reread "The phasing tile room isn't random past its initialization" and to TRY and simplify that more than El did. When you zone into the quest the phaseing tiles start with a completely random pattern. Wait isn't that an oxymoron? How can you have a RANDOM PATTERN. It means there IS a pattern but it is a random one and will not always be the same. *EDIT*Also read again where I said "you will almost never see the same PATTERN twice" which means I know there is a pattern to the tiles once you go up. *END EDIT*

A_D - That could very well be possible as I have not ran it enough since mod 7 to determin if it is still how it was set up initially or not. Given that the only changes made and announced where the fact that they where increasing the number of tiles up at any given time, they stay up longer, and they turn red before dissappearing I will assume they keept the randomness to the pattern.

Milolyen

croger1520033
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes I know there is a pattern once you go in (I am actually VERY good at seeing patterns to things like this) however when it first came out all the way upto when I stopped running it on a regular basis. It was different for EVERY INSTANCE meaning the pattern you see this time will (WAY) more than likely NOT be the same pattern you would see if you started the quest over again and THAT pattern will be different from the NEXT time you go in so on and so forth.

Croger - Reading comprenhension for the win, SPECIALLY before you go and start insulting people. Reread "The phasing tile room isn't random past its initialization" and to TRY and simplify that more than El did. When you zone into the quest the phaseing tiles start with a completely random pattern. Wait isn't that an oxymoron? How can you have a RANDOM PATTERN. It means there IS a pattern but it is a random one and will not always be the same.

A_D - That could very well be possible as I have not ran it enough since mod 7 to determin if it is still how it was set up initially or not. Given that the only changes made and announced where the fact that they where increasing the number of tiles up at any given time, they stay up longer, and they turn red before dissappearing I will assume they keept the randomness to the pattern.

Milolyen

You are right reading comprehension for the win, I did read that and i understand it looks as though you may not. The pattern I see and continue to see every time I go in is the same i.e. does not change from instance to instance. The pattern is between 3-4 different patterns, and it is not a random pattern. So it is not random it is selected from a series of patterns. I will try and simplify this for you in layman terms, if I go in to abbot and I get a pattern the chances of me seeing that same pattern again is 1 in 4. Also how can you claim reading comprehension for the win when you can not even spell correctly, especially since there is a spell checker on the forums.

Atax
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Less QQ, more pewpew.

That is, less crying and more action in this thread, k? So We've got 2 saying they are pre-set "variations" and 2 saying they are totally random but maintain a pattern. Hmm. I've been in that room at least 10 times myself since mod7 as well as having other players use this picture guide, and they always say it matches one of them. (Minus one case - could be a different pattern, could be that he got confused)

That being said, let's get some more folks running puzzles so we can figure it out for everyone, yeah?

Milolyen
07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
You are right reading comprehension for the win, I did read that and i understand it looks as though you may not. The pattern I see and continue to see every time I go in is the same i.e. does not change from instance to instance. The pattern is between 3-4 different patterns, and it is not a random pattern. So it is not random it is selected from a series of patterns. I will try and simplify this for you in layman terms, if I go in to abbot and I get a pattern the chances of me seeing that same pattern again is 1 in 4. Also how can you claim reading comprehension for the win when you can not even spell correctly, especially since there is a spell checker on the forums.

Yet you STILL did not read the whole post ... and immediately jump to insults. Look in the part where I responded to A_D and said that very well could be that they have a few set patterns and that I have not done that many SINCE MOD 7's release to judge that. I posted my first post in spirit of trying to help those that are running it more often. A simple "no they do have 3 -4 set patterns now that the quest chooses from now" goes over a lot better than the way you put it ESPECIALLY since the last dev comment about this said otherwise AND it would be a change that was implemented in mod 7.

Another thing ... how can you say it does not change from instance to instance if the pattern is between 3 - 4 different patterns? Is there a way to tell before you go in which pattern you will get out of those 3-4? So basically it is still random ... they just narrowed down the possible patterns.

Milolyen

OH and considering reading comprehension has nothing to do with ones ability to spell but ones ability to understand WHAT is being read.

Arkat
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Croger & Mil,

Shut the heck up!

We grow tired of your childish snipping at each other!

I don't give a darn about which of you has the better reading comprehension!

Get over yourselves and at least one of you grow up!!!

Baron
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
And the solution is.......

Bring a monk

:D

croger1520033
07-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Croger & Mil,

Shut the heck up!

We grow tired of your childish snipping at each other!

I don't give a darn about which of you has the better reading comprehension!

Get over yourselves and at least one of you grow up!!!

Lol yea telling people to shut up isn't childish. Grow up man.

Arkat
07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
That being said, let's get some more folks running puzzles so we can figure it out for everyone, yeah?

I ran in a Shroud run today and let everybody know about this thread and people's interest was clearly expressed.

Hopefully you'll get a little more input when those folks run the Abbot.

Turial
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I ran in a Shroud run today and let everybody know about this thread and people's interest was clearly expressed.

Hopefully you'll get a little more input when those folks run the Abbot.

People are interested but in the 3 hours I was running abbot practice last night I got lots of tells from people that didn't know the puzzles and weren't willing to put in the work. The best was one from some guy "oh I just want the loot...I'll wait until people know how to beat it and then do it." Sigh...lazy people.

ENGRAV0
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Of course, there is always the option of throwing a thrown weapon at your feet, if it sticks, go forward. If not, wait until it does, or try a diferent route.

Atax
07-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Of course, there is always the option of throwing a thrown weapon at your feet, if it sticks, go forward. If not, wait until it does, or try a diferent route.
Yup, until the tile under you disappears :)

Doesn't anyone run Abbot in this game?

Spisey
07-12-2008, 02:47 AM
I like the ff, barb sprint boost, jump boots and jump spell approach. Made it 2 outta 3 times since the changes and waiting for the person to put on the goggles only wastes time. :cool:

Atax
07-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Edited, added a third confirmed variation. Today we successfully completed tile puzzle three times, numerous ice and asteroid puzzles. Getting closer - I can feel it!