PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Online

SniptheShadow
07-09-2008, 06:56 AM
I've been lucky these last few months in that I have found a semi-persistant group to run with. We make a cool combo on quests. We are three in number, a pure Barbarian with THF and great axes galore, a superb female Cleric that is very chill and patient with the final member -- me, the Rogue. If things get tough inside quests we pick up others as needed.

But the two of them are leaving me soon.

*sigh*

They are old DAOC fans and now are chomping at the bit to try out Warhammer Online when it is finally ready.

So how about others...?

I know there was many threads on AOC, still are from time to time, but I've read nothing by anyone about this game.

Thoughts. Memories of DAOC. Predictions. Are you leaving someone all alone, too?

*big drawn-out airy sigh as I look down at my feet on the playground, kick a pebble, walk off...alone...*

Snip

Arkat
07-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Several of my RL friends who had played this game for about 2 years have lost interest in DDO. They are just dying for Warhammer Online because a long time ago we played in a Warhammer the Roleplaying Game campaign.

That Warhammer campain (The Enemy Within) was probably either the best or second best game we ever played in. One of the coolest aspects of the campaign was a city called Middenheim where much of our game took place. It was a VERY cool place. Not only that, but the world (campaign setting) in general was probably one of the two best settings we'd ever played in with the other being Runequest's Glorantha.

To be honest, I'm kinda looking forward to Warhammer Online but I'm not jumping to it right away as I'm skeptical that any MMO can replicate the Warhammer world's mood and eccentricities well enough to want to make me leave DDO permanently but we'll see.

Good luck in finding another group to run with when that time comes.

DelScorcho
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
This is the time that the new MMO's look so good - when the only disappointed people are the beta testers who have non disclosure agreements. At this point, all we know about the game are features. Before too long, we will also know about bugs. So remember, your static group may be leaving, but more likely than not, they will return.

VonBek
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Snip, you brought a tear to my eye. Geez. If my static group crumbled, I'd feel awful.

Mandinga
07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
If your curious it looks like they will be at Gencon about 4 booths down from Turbine. More than likely it will be like most other games, a nice distraction for a bit but the combat system just won't compare.

Mandinga

Nikorr123
07-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Absolutley loved DAOC, I would still be playing it if I had time. DDO I can pick up when ever and play so not AS much time required for top end play.

bnrilfun
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Warhammer is going to focus mostly on PVP and Realm vs Realm, which can be interesting but usually means they dont focus on the group and single player aspects enough. This wont be like Pen and Paper missions because that isnt the main goal. I am hoping to make the beta but it doesnt look good, as that is what usually tells me if the game is worth migrating too. I love Warhammer PnP as I loved how they had the classes setup so you could progress up a small chain from gravedigger to Undead Slayer etc.

Venar
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
The WAR beta is aweful, the game developpement is erratic at best, don't hold your breath.
For exemple, the game has been pushed back 6 times so far and beta server brought down for extensive time (over 3 months at a time). Reason? Game re-designing after bad player feedback.

Now, many people take that as a good sign, they say cool, the dev team is listening to us. I take it as a very very bad sign. It means the dev team, who's job is to develop a game, can't develop a good game after 6 attempts.
I'd rather play a game from a team of dev so good that they create an awesome game on the first draft.

Girevik
07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Warhammer Fantasy universe and I played DAoC and really liked the way Mythic ran a game and balanced the PvE with the RvR aspects. I also, in retrospect, really like the way they balanced the "end game" for the casual versus "hard-core" players.

That last aspect (casual versus hard-core balance) is where I am starting to really be disappointed in DDO. As a casual player it is getting harder and harder for me to participate in the game with a 16th level character. That was never a problem in DAoC as a casual player with a 50th level character.

I am not necessarily going to leave DDO, but I am definitely going to try out WAR.

Xaxx
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
had no interest in aoc, but warhammer, yeah im planning on checking it out. It will be alot of pvp/rvr as stated, seen some of their devs come out and state that its half pvp half pve so if pvp isnt your thing probably not the best choice of game (im not a big fan of pvp but i'll still check it out because lets face it, for the next year or so this is the biggest name mmo to drop.)

Also gonna check out stargate worlds when it drops around the same time.

Drider
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I am hoping that Warhammer is going to be a decent game, however as it gets closer and closer I am slowly losing my confidence in the game.

I have a bad feeling it's going to be another AOC, massive hype with little substance. As it is AOC is bleeding badly, and with funcommunists continued *hush hush* policy, faith is hard to have in the developers. DDO devs may be quiet but they don't have an NDA for Risia telling the players there they can't say anything about what they do on their public test server, which is funcom's newest "*** were they thinking" moment.

Xaxx
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I am hoping that Warhammer is going to be a decent game, however as it gets closer and closer I am slowly losing my confidence in the game.

I have a bad feeling it's going to be another AOC, massive hype with little substance. As it is AOC is bleeding badly, and with funcommunists continued *hush hush* policy, faith is hard to have in the developers. DDO devs may be quiet but they don't have an NDA for Risia telling the players there they can't say anything about what they do on their public test server, which is funcom's newest "*** were they thinking" moment.

bad comparison, risia and alpha/closed beta testing...

better compairison is mournlands and their current testing, and yes to get into mournlands is an nda, same as any games closed beta.

Venar
07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Warhammer just announced a big cut-off of content. They removed 4 classes out of 24 from the game, and went from 6 major cities to 2.

OUCH.

otaku
07-19-2008, 01:51 AM
I managed to get my little brother an invite to play the beta (I always get into betas hehe) anyway he loves warhammer he reads the books he's played the games even painted the little models and tried to do the live with people thing (not enough locals playing) he's very happy right now.

Drider
07-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Warhammer just announced a big cut-off of content. They removed 4 classes out of 24 from the game, and went from 6 major cities to 2.

OUCH.

Yep, they are not in good shape. They have said that what is in the game right now in beta is all the content they will have for launch.

SniptheShadow
09-13-2008, 10:11 AM
They're gone...Erelei the awesome cleric and Mythaniel the THF barbarian...my semi-persistant group...

Warhammer took them away...

*sigh*

Thank god for my guildies!

Snip