PDA

View Full Version : Internet Lingo and You.

Izlude
06-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Many times in my adventures through Stormreach, I've come to meet players who are new to online gaming. Many of these fine folks joined because it was D&D. Even still, some are unfarmilliar with some of the more common terms used across the wide range of MMORPGs on the market today.

While new players should never be discouraged by lingo, it does happen. They may feel ashamed to ask what it means or even pretend they understand and embarrass themselves later on.

As a community, it is our role and honor to help new members into the swing of things by providing a primer, if you will, for the lingo that you'll likely encounter in DDO (or any other game).

* Some of the following are specific to DDO.
* Fork will be used in place of the more vulgar counterpart. Most players of adult age will know what the alternative meaning to Fork is.

#
1337 - Leet, often used to refer to someone with above average or "elite" skills.

A
AFK - Away from Keyboard (this player is telling you that they have left for a moment.
Aggro - This is the name for the level of aggression a monster has towards any player. The person with the most "agro" is usually who the Monster will target and persist to attack. Agro is gained through dealing damage to the creature, taunting the creature(intimidate), or healing party members. (The ideal group situation involves the TANK holding Aggro.)
Alt - A Players Alternate Characters, these are characters that they play for fun but are not the main focus of their time in game.
AOE - Area Of Effect, AOE spells are spells that effect multiple targets in a designated area. Spells like "Fireball" have AOE damage because they damage the creatures surrounding the inital target of the spell.
ATM - At The Moment.
Avatar - Another name used to define a Player's Character.

B
Bio - This term refers to someone doing a biological break. (Bio Break) Often used in DDO to state a player is going to the bathroom.
BRB - Be Right Back (often used in conjunction with AFK)
BRT - Be Right There

C
CC - Crowd Control, casting classes (Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards) are often asked to do CC. This involves AOE stuns, Web spells, and Daze spells.
CLW/CMW/CSW - Cure light, cure moderate, and cure serious wounds respectively.
CO6* - Cult of Six

D
DC - Disconnect, This often refers to a player who looses his internet connection or his client-side connection to the game.
DC
* - Difficulty Check, the foundation of most skills in DDO and D&D 3.5 is based on a D20 dice roll versus a DC. The DC of any given object, spell, trap, or magic item is the "check" that you must roll above to succeed.
DEV - Developers, These are the good men and women who actually work on the game itself. The Dev team can consist of artists, programers, and managers. There are other types of employees like public relations but are not specifically DEVs since they are not directly "developing" the game.
DV* - Divine Vitality, this is a cleric ability which is used at the expense of a "Turn Undead". DVs are optional enhancements that a Cleric may choose to take in order to refil small amounts of Spell Points to a target party member.

E

F
FO* - Finish Out, this is often a fast way of telling everyone in the group that it is ok to "recall" out of a dungeon after it has been completed.
FTW - For The Win, simply put, anything that is followed by "FTW" means it is a good thing. (eg. "+4 Ghost Touch Adamantine Bastardswords FTW!")

G
GG - Good Game, often used as a congradulatory response to a good group or good job on a task. This has been used alternatively as a condecending insult flavored with sarcasm. (eg. "GG, Noob...")
GJ - Good Job, used in the same context as GG.
GM - Game Master, these are the fellows who are employeed by Turbine to help players with unusual problems like monsters not spawning, getting stuck, items disappearing, and other events which disrupt the flow of gameplay. They also moderate behavior of players when it gets out of hand. Consider the GMs to be like the Police of DDO, when something goes wrong, you contact them.
GMW* - Grey Moon Waning

H
HAX - Hacks. This is a term used when someone feels the game is cheating them. Alternatively, this term is used when a fellow player is doing so well that others think he is "cheating with hacks". This is, of course, a light toned and rather playful comment to make. Hax is rarely used in serious tones in DDO.
House D - House Deneith, an area north of the Marketplace.
House J - House Jorasco, an area north of the Marketplace.
House K - House Kundarak, an area north of the Marketplace.
House P - House Phiarlan, an area north of the Marketplace.

I
IC - In Character. For all intents and purposes, this term is most commonly used in MMORPGs to describe a player's Roleplaying state. If he is IC, then he is talking and acting "In Character". (Alternatively, and commonly used in internet lingo, IC is a fast way of saying "I see")
IDK - I Don't Know.
INC - Incomming, often used to let other players know that a group of MOBS are heading towards the group. Someone who pulls will often let his party know that the pull was successful by saying "INC".
IRL - In Real Life

J
JK - Just Kidding

K
KEK - Another version of LOL, KEK was commonly used in World of Warcraft due to the Horde's translation of LOL when viewed by an Alliance member. Kek originated from Korean players on Battlenet who would show laughter via "kekekekekeke".

L
LD - Link Dead, an alternate form of DC.
LFG - Looking for Group
LFH - Looking for Help, Not always looking for someone of equal level, this can sometimes be used to seek the aid of a higher level character for whatever reason. Alternatively, LFH means Looking For Healer, this means the group has everything they need except a healing class.
LFM - Looking for More (alternatively, LF1M, LF2M, etc shows how many more are needed for a complete group)
LOL - Laughing out Loud (come on, everyone knows this one.)
Lowbie - Someone of low level. Usually refers to characters still between level 1-4.

M
Main - A Player's Main Character.
Meat Shield - This term is often used refering to the tanking classes of the group. Paladins or Fighters in DDO's case. They are the front line "peons" that take the beating so the softer classes don't have to.
MM - magic missle (not often used like this, but still used occasionaly, like when discussing the end boss tactics in STK)
Mob - The common term used to describe a monster or other enemy that you encounter.
MT- Miss Tell, this is used to appologize to a player when someone sends them a message that was intended for another player. Alternatively, MT refers to the "Main Tank" of a group.
MU - Magic User
Mule - Toon created only to move or sell items from player to player. They are also good for extra bank space which is limited.

N
NEDM (http://nedmlogo.ytmnd.com/) - Not Even Doom Music. This is used to describe a situation that is completely uncool. It is a commonly known fact that music from the video game series "Doom" makes everything cooler. There are some things, however, that are so completely uncool that Not Even Doom Music can make it cool. Thus the phrase NEDM.
NERF - To Nerf is to make something less effective. At its very essence, players feel Nerfing something usually holds a negative effect on them. Durring the "balancing" phases of most game development, many aspects are being "Nerfed" from what may have been an overpowered status.
Newb - Not necissarily lacking in skills, but clearly lacking experience. A "Newb" is often the title given to new players who may or may not fully know the game itself.
NM - Never Mind
Noob - The opposite of 1337. A noob, (or n00b) is of below standard skills.
NUB - An alternate version of "Noob".

O
OIC - "Oh, I See"
OMG*** - "Oh My God, What the Fork*" Commonly results from a party wipe or other unfortunate and unpredicted event.
OMW - On My Way
ORLY? - Oh Really?

P
PK* - Phantasmal Killer "The Wizard will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs." (Alternatively, and more commonly among other mmorpgs, PK means "Player Killer")
PnP - Pen and Paper, This refers to the original version of Dungeons and Dragons.
PST - Please Send Tell, this is a common follower of a request like "I'm selling such and such, PST". This means the player is requesting that you talk to him/her using the TELL function= /tell <their name> <Message>
PUG - Pick Up Group (not Pull Together Group, lol)
PVE - Player versus Environment (thats like dungeon crawling and such)
PVP - Player versus Player (Killing other players, not yet implemented)
PWN - A "1337" term pronounced as "own" (don't let noobs tell you its pronounced "pone"). This means to greatly overpower or defeat an adversary.

Q
QFT - Quoted For Truth

R
ROFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing
RP - Roleplay. (alternatives, RPer 'roleplayer' and RPing 'Roleplaying')

S
**** - Shut The Fork* Up
STK* - Shan-To-Kor

T
Tank - A universal term used in mmorpgs to describe the frontline "protection" class. In DDO this role is often filled by the Paladin or Fighter of a group. A Tank's purpose is to manage AGRO and keep party members safe by taking all the punishment.
Toon - An alternate word used to describe a player's "Character". The origin of this word is unknown to me. Alternate words include Avatar and Character.
TS* - Tempest Spine
TTYL - Talk To You Later
TY - Thank You
TYVM - Thank You Very Much

U
UMD* - Use Magical Device

V

W
*** - What The Fork*
WW* - Water Works

X

Y
YW - You're Welcome

Z
Zerg - Zerging is a term used to describe a hasteful and "brute force" method for getting past a dungeon. The idea here is that adding more force (either through number of characters or lack of restraint with spell usage) the task is more easily overcome. The term "Zerg" originates from the Blizzard game Starcraft which includes a race known as the Zerg. The focal point of their tactical strategy is to create hordes of units that continually swarm the opposing factions.
ZOMG - A 1337 version of "OMG". Adding a Z to the begining of OMG usually adds emphasis.

All submissions are welcome. All that I ask is that you please include a description of the word you are submitting. I try to know my internet lingo, but there are some words even I am unfarmilliar with.

Brennie
06-26-2006, 10:49 PM
1337 needs to be yellowed

Throw in lowbie, alt, main, LFH, tank, CC, aggro/hate, bio/bio break, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM.

Great list by the way. I like the yellow color, makes it look professional >.<

I'm sure I'll think of more later (And I'll try to figure out a way to get this stickied)

EDIT: I have absolutly no clue how to even *propose* getting anything stickied... Anyone know?

Izlude
06-26-2006, 11:34 PM
1337 needs to be yellowed

Throw in lowbie, alt, main, LFH, tank, CC, aggro/hate, bio/bio break, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM.

Great list by the way. I like the yellow color, makes it look professional >.<

I'm sure I'll think of more later (And I'll try to figure out a way to get this stickied)

EDIT: I have absolutly no clue how to even *propose* getting anything stickied... Anyone know?

Thanks for the submission. Anything that you listed that I did not put on the list was due to a lack of farmilliarity with the term. If you could please provide definitions I will happily add those remaining terms to the list.

CC, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM were the ones I am unfarmilliar with.

Izlude
06-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Updated with alphabetical order and new definitions.

Requesting Sticky. Cube, please review this thread.

Brennie
06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the submission. Anything that you listed that I did not put on the list was due to a lack of farmilliarity with the term. If you could please provide definitions I will happily add those remaining terms to the list.

CC, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM were the ones I am unfarmilliar with.

You deleted Waterworks (I dunno if this was intentional)

CC = crowd control (usually spells)

CLW/SMW/CSW = Cure light, cure moderate, and cure serious wounds respectively. (These are often shortened in the way in game)

MM = magic missle (not often used like this, but still used occasionaly, like when discussing the end boss tactics in STK)

Shoudl Sheild Block be added? Or is that more of a tactical definition?

MortVent
06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
IC can also mean in character for roleplayers, OOC is out of character

Got to remember that *gasp* there are roleplayers in a D&D game :-P

So a lot of them can have more than one meaning.

Izlude
06-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Outstanding, both of you. Thank you for the adds! Keep them coming! *fixing problems*

Brennie
06-27-2006, 12:54 AM
IC can also mean in character for roleplayers, OOC is out of character

Got to remember that *gasp* there are roleplayers in a D&D game :-P

STILL? Goodness, I gotta go set more traps. If you let one in, they multiply like cockroaches!

On that note, add RP/RPer - (Roleplay/roleplayer)

Izlude
06-27-2006, 12:58 AM
STILL? Goodness, I gotta go set more traps. If you let one in, they multiply like cockroaches!

On that note, add RP/RPer - (Roleplay/roleplayer)

Damn, I must have missed some when I reordered them for alphabetizing, cause I had RP in there. >_<

Brennie
06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
By the by, this gives whole new meanings to group dinners, when an attractive co-ed might ask "hey, can you give me a fork?"

bt123
06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I didn't Know IC to stand for in character, I believe it has an alternate meaning of IC = I see

FF - feather fall
EE - earth elemental

Brennie
06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
idk = I don't know

Charlie_Rock
06-27-2006, 06:42 AM
wts = want to sell (followed by item name)
wtb want to buy (followed by an item description)
pst = please send tell
tank = absorb damage or pull aggro
aggro = aggresion
mu = magic user (pre-3rd edition D&D wizard/sorcerer)
edit : nuke = powerful combat spell , usually resulting in xp ;)

Cordrone
06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Have to have:
Toon = Character
Example "I've got 3 toons. One is a Tank, one is a Wizzy, and the other is a Pally."

Zerg/Zergling/ and Zerger = A person who runs like an idiot through quests usually setting off traps, drawing to many enemies, taking a lot of usless damage, getting their party killed and causing your healers to waist to much Mana on them. Needless to say is not a good term. It comes from from the old Blizzard game StarCraft after a race of simple minded insect like killing machine aliens.

Zergs are usually hated by others and can quickly find themselves dismissed from a party or dead because the party will refuse to help them after they have so stupidly blundered their way into a mess. This is to teach them a lesson and to keep the non-Zergers in the party alive so they can finish the quest.

Very bad Zergers will be dismissed only second before a quest is finished so thier time is wasted (just as the party feels their time has been playing with the Zerg) and they get no XP to boot. Moral of the story is... Don't be a Zerg. If you're bad enough, and you're known for it, your toon can sometimes be blacklisted by experienced players and guilds. Thus the renowned Zerger will have a hard time finding anyone to group with him. Did I mention to NOT be a Zerg? LOL!

Mule - Toon created only to move or sell items from player to player. They are also good for extra bank space which is limited.

PK - Phantasmal Killer "The Wiz will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs."

crschoen
06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Please add "toon". I still don't know what the origin of that term is or why it is used instead of "alt."

Other suggestions are "nerf" and "zerg"

cpito
06-27-2006, 09:18 AM
IRL- In Real Life
GMW/ Co6 - Grey Moon Waning/ Cult of 6
TS - Tempest Spine
QFT - Quoted for truth
PnP - Pen and Paper (the tabletop version on D&D)

Izlude
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Have to have:
Toon = Character
Example "I've got 3 toons. One is a Tank, one is a Wizzy, and the other is a Pally."

Zerg/Zergling/ and Zerger = A person who runs like an idiot through quests usually setting off traps, drawing to many enemies, taking a lot of usless damage, getting their party killed and causing your healers to waist to much Mana on them. Needless to say is not a good term. It comes from from the old Blizzard game StarCraft after a race of simple minded insect like killing machine aliens.

Zergs are usually hated by others and can quickly find themselves dismissed from a party or dead because the party will refuse to help them after they have so stupidly blundered their way into a mess. This is to teach them a lesson and to keep the non-Zergers in the party alive so they can finish the quest.

Very bad Zergers will be dismissed only second before a quest is finished so thier time is wasted (just as the party feels their time has been playing with the Zerg) and they get no XP to boot. Moral of the story is... Don't be a Zerg. If you're bad enough, and you're known for it, your toon can sometimes be blacklisted by experienced players and guilds. Thus the renowned Zerger will have a hard time finding anyone to group with him. Did I mention to NOT be a Zerg? LOL!

PK - Phantasmal Killer "The Wiz will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs."

I appriciate your zealousness with the definition of Zerging, but we aren't trying to tell players how to play, were merely giving them definitions. If anyone is interested in making a suggested tactics thread, I'd be more than happy to join that discussion as well.

That being said, I'd like to thank everyone once again who have been submitting suggestions to me.

Keep them coming. :)

Brennie
06-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Got 3 more:

GM - Game Master, a Turbine employee whos job it is to help people who are having techincal issues while in DDO.

Dev - Developer, A forum term used to refer to Turbine employees (Whetehr or not they are actually programmers)

UMD - Use Magical Devices skill

Please check my "dev" definition, it coudl be only programmers are called Devs, but I've never heard anyone "Official" called anythign else

Corevin
06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Couple more:

VoN - Vault of Night

WTT - Want To Trade, usually with an item list after it

Huskylaw
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
FFS -- for F's sake!

Train -- OMGZ Train to zone

Brennie
06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
NEDM, MU (This is a 1st ed. DnD term!), and KEK? *lol* I have yet to hear those terms in DDO. But anythign is possible!

heres just a tiny bit more to add!

Twink - To give powerful items/gear to a low level character.

Loot - Treasure, or items found on an adventure

Static Loot - A quest reward that is not random (As in Waterworks, STK, tangleroot, etc)

DD - Direct Damage/Direct Damager, a character whos role is to put the hurt on the enemies

Zone - Refers to either a section of the game (Harbor/Marketplace/House D etc), or to the act of jumping between sections.

Zoning - Loading a new section (IE "Wait for me guys, i'm still zoning!")

Instance - A "zone" that is created specially for you and your group. You will encounter no other groups or players while in an instance. The Quests of DDO are examples of instances.

Lag - When the game slows down for you, due to a slow computer, a slow connectio, or a slow transfer of information between the server and the player. This can shows up as framerate drops, freezing in place, seeing mobs/other characters freeze.

Rubberbanding - When your character is "snapped" back into a place you were moments earlier. This is usually a result of lag.

Buffs - Beneficial spells that have a limited duration (IE Bless, Bulls Strength, etc)

Debuffs - Hindering spells of a (sometimes) limited duration (IE Curse, Enfeeble, Touch of Idiocy etc)

DoT - Damage over time spells and effects (IE acid)

HoT - Heal over Time spells and effects

Stats - Refers to a players attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisomd, and Charisma). Will often be used in term 'Stat damage', IE

AC - Armor Class

DR - Damage Resistence

TWF - Two Weapon Fighting

HP - Hitpoints

Health - Another term for hitpoints

SP - Spellpoints

Mana - another term for spellpoints

OOM - Out of Mana, a quick way to let your group know that you can't cast any more healing, damage, or crowd control spells (Or that you could use a DV)

OODV - Out of Divine Vitality, Brennie-speak for "I've used my last DV, so you better learn how to manage your mana... fast!"

gp - gold peices

pp - platinum peices, or someone very immature making a potty joke

#k - A thousand of something (IE 10k gold peices = 10,000 gold peices).

OMG***PWNZ0R!!!1!!!11!!!one!!!1!eleventyone!!!1! - If you say this, no one will ever group with you again. And you will make kittens cry.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work m8!

NameisToad
06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
While WW is usually used to reference the harbor quest "Waterworks", it is also occasionally used to reference the feat "Whirlwind Attack". Usually only by those people who have the feat, and usually in ways that make no sense to anyone who is expecting "ww = Waterworks".

Pleasure
06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
FTW - For The Win, simply put, anything that is followed by "FTW" means it is a good thing. (eg. "+4 Ghost Touch Adamantine Bastardswords FTW!")

It is also an "end around" to thwart the language nazi's. It is the reverse version of ***.

Brennie
06-28-2006, 05:59 PM
It is also an "end around" to thwart the language nazi's. It is the reverse version of ***.

Internet people have way too much time on their hands.

Izlude
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Im visiting family for a week. I'm on dialup currently but once i get back to my home with REAL instead of this AOL ****, I'll be updating the list, in the meantime feel free to add stuff as you all think it up.

Brennie
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Im visiting family for a week. I'm on dialup currently but once i get back to my home with REAL instead of this AOL ****, I'll be updating the list, in the meantime feel free to add stuff as you all think it up.

*bumping this so that its still on the front page when Izlude gets back*

ccheath776
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Many times in my adventures through Stormreach, I've come to meet players who are new to online gaming. Many of these fine folks joined because it was D&D. Even still, some are unfarmilliar with some of the more common terms used across the wide range of MMORPGs on the market today....[/I][/COLOR]

Forgot some combat terms.

Tank - Means the member of the party that is the basher or hitter. Normally the fighter. Can alternately be used to describe an action by any character that rushes the enemy. IE "That wizard is trying to tank the STK boss OMG!..."

Kite(ing) - A strategem of catching the enemies attention and drawing them to the party to be dispatched more efficiently. This is a good combat strategy to use against heavy hitting enemies or enemies that are in a large crowd that might hinder battling them directly. Not necessarily an exploit unless it takes advantage of some kind of gitch not intended in the original plan. IE Some of the trolls in redwillow can be kited away from the main mob to be battled in a more open space.

Tweek(ing) - A term, sometimes used negatively, to describe a higher level character giving uber items to his lower level alt in order to make them better.

Uber - Used to describe something as massively overpowered or of great value.

Nuker - Normally used to describe a caster wizard or sorceror who use their fire and lightning spells to max damage and range kill most mobs.

Quest terms -
SC - Stormcleave
ThS (e) (w) - Threnhall south, east, or west.
CC- Catacombs. Not used as much anymore.

Those are some. Im sure there is more.
VON - Vault of Night

Brennie
07-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks for adding those ccheath. I had a couple thoughts on yoru definitions...

Tank - Means the member of the party that is the basher or hitter. Normally the fighter. Can alternately be used to describe an action by any character that rushes the enemy. IE "That wizard is trying to tank the STK boss OMG!..."

Typically, tank refers to someone who's role is to hold aggro and take damage, instead of other teammates (or avoid taking damage altogether, with HIgh DR or AC)

Tweek(ing) - A term, sometimes used negatively, to describe a higher level character giving uber items to his lower level alt in order to make them better.

Actually, thats twinking >.<

Uber - Used to describe something as massively overpowered or of great value.

I can't believe no one came up with that before now. No DnD game/MMO is complete without the word Uber! It took me a while to figure out what the heck my DnD group was talking about when they threw the word uber around... I feel stupid now :P

cryptic
07-02-2006, 08:46 AM
NP = no problem

Izlude
07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Just a quick note. For those of you who keep telling me to add words like "Tank" that are already on the list, please be sure to read it before you tell me it isnt there.

Many of the words I've been suggested have been said like 4+ times... lol

Just saying.

Brennie
07-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Just a quick note. For those of you who keep telling me to add words like "Tank" that are already on the list, please be sure to read it before you tell me it isnt there.

Many of the words I've been suggested have been said like 4+ times... lol

Just saying.

Tank isn't actually on the list there, Iz... *lol*

ccheath776
07-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks for adding those ccheath. I had a couple thoughts on yoru definitions...

Typically, tank refers to someone who's role is to hold aggro and take damage, instead of other teammates (or avoid taking damage altogether, with HIgh DR or AC)

Actually, thats twinking >.<

I can't believe no one came up with that before now. No DnD game/MMO is complete without the word Uber! It took me a while to figure out what the heck my DnD group was talking about when they threw the word uber around... I feel stupid now :P

"Typically, tank refers to someone who's role is to hold aggro and take damage, instead of other teammates (or avoid taking damage altogether, with HIgh DR or AC)
Actually, thats twinking >.<"

Yep thats it. Thanks for the correction.

CrazySamaritan
07-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Twinking is known in role-playing as "inheriting".

All it really means is Items that are more powerful than the character could have earned themselves are passed onto said character.

(edit: nm, I misread the quote)

Tiggs
07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
It is now stickified =P

Brennie
07-04-2006, 02:42 AM
It is now stickified =P

Awesome! Thanks Tiggs >.<

LordDamax
07-04-2006, 02:47 AM
MOB - Creatures (generally ones you kill). Started back in the days of MUD's (Multi User Dungeons - old-school text based MMO's). The internal code of the MUD referred to creatures as Mobile Objects, and this was shortened to MOB, or MOBs (plural). Basically any monster you can kill in game is a MOB. Non-hostile 'creatures', however, are usually referred to as NPCs.

SC - Stormcleave

House P - House Pharlain, an area north of the Marketplace.

Tangleroot - Tangleroot Gorge

SD - Sorrowdusk, the area in which the GMW and CO6 quests reside.

Uber - German for "More, Better, Over" and the like. Uber loot/gear/chars/etc referrs to the best of the best.

Disable - Refers to the Disable Device skill. "Hey, what's your disable?"

Delaras - The Delara's Quest chain

Necro - The Thrall of the Necromancer quest

Threnal - The Threnal East/West/South series of quests.

Ransacked - After looting a single chest 10 times in a 1 week period, the chest becomes ransacked, and the loot you pull begins to get worse and worse until the chest is stripped.

Stripped - You have looted everything you could out of a specific chest, and it is now empty for you.

Thanatos
07-04-2006, 09:04 AM
House P - House Phiarlan, an area north of the Marketplace.Fixed the spelling on "Phiarlan"...

Add:

These terms, when typed in chat, indicate that the player has poor spelling skills. When they are spoken on voice, they indicate the player has poor pronounciation skills. It is also safe to assume the player is extremely lazy, cluless about roleplaying, and probably has an 8 in intelligence.

Hmm...
Then again, maybe there are some truths that are better off unmentioned. :p

Harliquinn
07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
DnD: Refers usually to the Pen and Paper game Dungeons and Dragons upon which DDO is based.

LordDamax
07-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Troll: Jerk who posts stuff online just to be a pain in the ass and put others down and cause problems. See example below:

These terms, when typed in chat, indicate that the player has poor spelling skills. When they are spoken on voice, they indicate the player has poor pronounciation skills. It is also safe to assume the player is extremely lazy, cluless about roleplaying, and probably has an 8 in intelligence.

Northwoods
07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Nice list.

DC - Difficulty Class

And in my experience, leet usually refers to noobs who only *think* they're uber. :-) The truly great don't need to advertise it.

Udar_Giantbane
07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
DPS- Damage per Second. Usually refers to high damage/low defense or hit point classes such as wizards and sorcerors. This varies from game to game. Part of the MMO Trinity of Tank, Healer and DPS.

spam = 1) Inane chatter on the public channels, usually requests for help or free stuff, 2) Using your powers--especially one--in mindless succession on a mob until dead c.f. Nuke

Mez, Root - alternate terms for crowd control CC. For Mezmerize or as a verb to root someone in spot.

IMO - In My Opinion
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

WAGGRO/GAGGRO - Wife Aggro, as in ooops I was supposed to log off 2 hours ago and take out the trash. Wife /Girlfriend Aggro can generally not be taunted off by another player. Only giving her loot will help but sometimes will that will generate more hate.

Rez - Ressurection, i.e. use a ressurection shrine or currently Raise Dead spell.

Pet - a summoned NPC ally that fights for you.

TS/Vent - for Teamspeak or Ventrillo. 3rd Party voice chat programs. Not as prevalent in DDO due to the ingame voice server but still used by guilds frequently.

PBAE/PBAoE - Point Blank or sometimes Player Based Area (of) Effect. Spells or powers that emanate from a caster and are not targetable.

spawn/respawn - how enemies appear in the world or reappear. "I thought we killed those skeletons. Oh no they respawned.."

Morak_Ironshield
07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I noticed a mistake:

DD = Direct damage or Direct Damager, stands for spells that cause damage directly like lighting bolt, flameing hands or magic missle. Also those that cast said spells. It does not refer to spells that can be used to cause damage like casting grease infront of a trap causeing mobs to slip in does not change grease to a DD spell.

Gai-jin
07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
QFE = Quote for Emphasis

cdbd3rd
07-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Awesome thread.
More folks need to be aware of these - especially when using "FO" at the quest end. I've had players get angry and ask why I was saying "Fork* Off" :eek:

You might add a small usage note to the definition that it is commonly used at the end of the quest to denote that the specified character is recalling from the instance.

Goldheart
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
QFE = Quote for Emphasis

yes, that's right, it's not QFT it's QFE

also DC is only used for disconnected by people that don't know LD. People need to know LD, since in DDO, DC = Difficulty Check - this is the number that must be reached by the total of your die roll plus your skill.

Morak_Ironshield
07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
remebering ...

inc =incomming (mobs being pulled to the group)

inc lots = scarry amount of mobs being pulled in to the group.

pull = the group of mobs that was brough to the group (the pull) also the person that is pulling to the group (the puller)

CC = crowd control, controlling what mobs are doing or a person that can croud control. Wizards with spells like web and hyptnotize.

bind = set your rez point to a certain tavern

TTFN = tata for now (someone is leaveing)

Thanatos
07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Troll: Jerk who posts stuff online just to be a pain in the ass and put others down and cause problems. See example below:
:p or :P: An emoticon representing a "raspberry", also known as "razzing" or poking one's tongue out at someone. It's used to indicate a a joking or kidding manner, especially as a way to take the sting out of an insult that was intended in a playful rather than serious tone.

Hmm...

Lilith-Darkmoon
07-04-2006, 02:32 PM
WAGGRO/GAGGRO - Wife Aggro, as in ooops I was supposed to log off 2 hours ago and take out the trash. Wife /Girlfriend Aggro can generally not be taunted off by another player. Only giving her loot will help but sometimes will that will generate more hate.

HAGGRO/BAGGRO - Husband/Boyfriend aggro, as in I was supposed to log off 2 hours ago...:p

Healbot - A character whose sole purpose is to sit back and heal the party. Very boring to play.

Battle Cleric - A cleric who doesn't focus solely on the healing side of their class, but is actually quite competent in combat.

TWF - Two-Weapon Fighting.

Glass Cannon - Refers to a person, weapon, or vehicle which has a high output, but a low defense, life, durability, etc. (from Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com)). Often refers to sorcerers and wizards in DDO.

Wizzie - Slang for the wizard class; may refer to a bodily function. ;)

WF - Warforged.

Dip or Dipl - The skill Diplomacy.

Dump Stat - A ability score that's lower than average, generally because the points were "dumped" into a key ability score for the character.

Centaurion
07-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Fixed the spelling on "Phiarlan"...

Add:

Hmm...

You misspelled clueless.

~Treemarker
07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
yes, that's right, it's not QFT it's QFE

I've seen both usages. Both Quoted for Emphasis and Quoted for Truth. Take a quick trip to the SWG boards and you'll see them. Haven't seen either as much here.

binnsr
07-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I noticed a mistake:

DD = Direct damage or Direct Damager, stands for spells that cause damage directly like lighting bolt, flameing hands or magic missle. Also those that cast said spells. It does not refer to spells that can be used to cause damage like casting grease infront of a trap causeing mobs to slip in does not change grease to a DD spell. An alternate definition (DDO only) is Disable Device. rogue only skill for (duh) disabling traps. One of the most important rogue skills ingame -- should always be maxed.

Oh, and on the CLW/CMW/CSW list, add CCW -- Cure Critical Wounds - when your tank has 175+ hp, a shot of CSW doesn't fill'er up all that much.

Thanatos
07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
You misspelled clueless.Ack! ... oh the shameful irony, hmm? ;)

Thanatos
07-04-2006, 04:47 PM
An alternate definition (DDO only) is Disable Device. rogue only skill for (duh) disabling traps. One of the most important rogue skills ingame -- should always be maxed.What if you want to make an "assassin" that is not also a "tinker"?

This is why I wish you could choose which class icon to display, because sometimes the party role you choose is not entirely evident from the classes that make it up.

Thanatos
07-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Wizzie - Slang for the wizard class; may refer to a bodily function. ;)Said bodily function may be vomiting from the "cutesifying" of the class name. ;)

I going to start doing it back to all the people that refer to Keovar as a "wizzie"... Fities, Clerkies, Roggies, oh, and especially Barbies! :p

binnsr
07-04-2006, 07:36 PM
What if you want to make an "assassin" that is not also a "tinker"?

This is why I wish you could choose which class icon to display, because sometimes the party role you choose is not entirely evident from the classes that make it up.
I agree with you actually, and my rogue has DD maxed :D

She's more of a thug than a tinker, but I'm not happy with much of anything about her these days (it's a sad moment when you realize that your 8th lvl rogue is in dire need of a reroll) - started down the 'normal' thug route, then switched to repeaters and really don't do much of anything *all* that well anymore..

</tangent>

GreenGurgler
07-04-2006, 09:24 PM
1. uber

The ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than. Also Über

I'm Über confused...

2. Uber

Term with literal meaning of "above" in German. Brought to the mainstream in the early 80's by hardcore American punk band, the Dead Kennedys when using the term in the anti-Californian government song "California Uber Alles", which is a take off the German motto of "Deustchland Uber Alles", which translates to "Germany above all." The term was picked up in their native California stomping grounds by the typical surfers and "punks" and extended from there to many teenagers, the majority of which use the term online.

Kess
07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Kite(ing) - A strategem of catching the enemies attention and drawing them to the party to be dispatched more efficiently. This is a good combat strategy to use against heavy hitting enemies or enemies that are in a large crowd that might hinder battling them directly. Not necessarily an exploit unless it takes advantage of some kind of gitch not intended in the original plan. IE Some of the trolls in redwillow can be kited away from the main mob to be battled in a more open space.

In DAoC - We used to used the term "kiting" as meaning running around (not away) in such a manner as not to die by enemy or mob.. *hehe*

This tactic could be employed a number of ways for a number of reasons..

Casters, being squishy, usually learn to kite well or die :P

~ Kess

Albereth
07-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Glass Cannon - Refers to a person, weapon, or vehicle which has a high output, but a low defense, life, durability, etc. Often refers to sorcerers and wizards in DDO.

Also can be called Squishy

Kess
07-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Also can be called Squishy

That reminds me..

"Squishy" or "Squishies" - classes with lower AC

"Crunchy" or "Crunchies" - classes with higher AC :D

..and..

"Toon" or "Toons" - your character(s)

"Main" and "Alts"

Your main character is usually your first or your favorite..

Your alt is not your main character or toon, but one you've either just started or do not play as much as your main..

"Leet Speak" - Bah - just gonna link it to Wikipedia's entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet):P

"w00t" - an expression of happiness or victory, kinda like "woohoo!".. Woot!! I got a tome!!

"keke" - Usually used by HK or Korean players - it's a giggle, like "hehe".. (This was arond long before WoW - where "LOL" is seen by the other realm as "KEK")

"Trap Monkey" - another term for Rogue or player that is built to disable traps..

~ Kess

Brennie
07-05-2006, 02:55 AM
That reminds me..

"Squishy" or "Squishies" - classes with lower AC

"Crunchy" or "Crunchies" - classes with higher AC :D

..and..

"Toon" or "Toons" - your character(s)

"Main" and "Alts"

Your main character is usually your first or your favorite..

Your alt is not your main character or toon, but one you've either just started or do not play as much as your main..

"Leet Speak" - Bah - just gonna link it to Wikipedia's entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet):P

"w00t" - an expression of happiness or victory, kinda like "woohoo!".. Woot!! I got a tome!!

"keke" - Usually used by HK or Korean players - it's a giggle, like "hehe".. (This was arond long before WoW - where "LOL" is seen by the other realm as "KEK")

"Trap Monkey" - another term for Rogue or player that is built to disable traps..

~ Kess

Nearly all of these are repeats dear :P

Wow this thread is Jumping! Thats awesome!

Nemmerle
07-05-2006, 08:21 AM
There are plenty of Tigger Fans out there playing too...

TTFN = Ta Ta For Now.

JayDubya
07-05-2006, 08:37 AM
kk - equivalent to "ok", but faster to type
pst - please send tell
von - Vault of Night
co6 - Cult of the Six
gwl - Gwylan's Stand
sc - Storm Cleave
ww - Waterworks
stk - Shan To Kor
rw - RedWillow
ts - Tempest Spine
no blinds - Please do not invite me into your group without contacting me first and asking if I'm interested.
oom - Out of Mana

Lilith-Darkmoon
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
np - No Problem

Xended
07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
As far as the term Toon goes, to my knowledge, it originally comes from Sierra Online's The Realm. The game was very cartoony and the characters were in fact two dimensional cartoon characters. Very reminiscent of several other games by sierra. Prior to that game I do not know of anyone referring to an avatar as a toon. The term was also very popular in World of Warcraft, probably due to that games also somewhat comical graphical nature.

Brennie
07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Where is Izlude :( This beginning post hasn't been updated in like a week :(

Arianna_Firebrand
07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
How about the definition of MMO? When I first started playing DDO it was my first online game so when people kept saying MMO I had no idea what they were talking about.

Brennie
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
How about the definition of MMO? When I first started playing DDO it was my first online game so when people kept saying MMO I had no idea what they were talking about.

Good call. Heres some Defintions to help Izlude:

MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online (game). Often short for MMORPG. This encompasses any game where one can play in a persistant world with other people on other computers.

MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. As above, but with players emulating specific characters who advance through gameplay.

Raenef
07-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Battle Cleric/Battle spec'ed healer - person that takes up a perfectly good spot for a paladin :D

Thanatos
07-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Battle Cleric/Battle spec'ed healer - person that takes up a perfectly good spot for a paladin :DYeah, the nerve of Dungeons & Dragons to go against WoW's precedent of making divine casters into robe-wearing healbots...

Lilith-Darkmoon
07-08-2006, 08:11 PM
imx - In My eXperience

imc - In My Campaign; usually refers to a PnP game.

meatbag - derogatory term used by warforged to refer to non-warforged characters.

fleshie - less derogatory term used by warforged to refer to non-warforged characters.

Brennie
07-09-2006, 03:32 AM
meatbag - derogatory term used by warforged to refer to non-warforged characters.

Never heard that before.

Actually, wait, yes i have... warforged are assassination droids now?!

Karos
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
QFT means Quoted for Truth on most newer forums, but it started out as Quit Forking* Talking. This has made for some very entertaining threads on other boards due to confusion on separate parties.

Goldheart
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I've seen both usages. Both Quoted for Emphasis and Quoted for Truth. Take a quick trip to the SWG boards and you'll see them. Haven't seen either as much here.

Just because you've seen it both ways, as have I, doesn't make it right. You can't quote something for truth, it's either true already or not true. You can quote it to emphasize it though - or emphasize it's truth. So I guess you could have QFTE - quoted for truth emphasis. QFT just doesn't make a lick of sense.
:rolleyes:

Brennie
07-13-2006, 02:48 AM
Just because you've seen it both ways, as have I, doesn't make it right. You can't quote something for truth, it's either true already or not true. You can quote it to emphasize it though - or emphasize it's truth. So I guess you could have QFTE - quoted for truth emphasis. QFT just doesn't make a lick of sense.
:rolleyes:

I reckon quoted fer truth makes as much sense and any dern cotton-pickin thing on these here board, y'hear?

Izlude
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Tank isn't actually on the list there, Iz... *lol*

omfg, I thought I put that in there...

Also, made some updates.

Where is Izlude :( This beginning post hasn't been updated in like a week :(

Im back bud, sorry for the delay. Still shifting through all of these posts to find the ones that arent repeats of what I already have in the list. :P

hennebux
07-14-2006, 04:27 PM
chickenbone means to /death either as a strategy or just to get out of a stuck or otherwise hopeless position. Btw nice list

Luthrae
07-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Here's a couple more:

inc - incoming. As in we're about to be attacked.

gtg - good to go, or ready.

CrazySamaritan
07-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Or Got to Go

Swiftblade
07-15-2006, 09:09 AM
iirc- if I recall correctly
lfh- looking for ham

PurdueDave
07-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Never heard that before.

Actually, wait, yes i have... warforged are assassination droids now?!
KOTOR assassin droid used it.

Brennie
07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
KOTOR assassin droid used it.

Thank you. Yes. That is the reference i was making :p

PurdueDave
07-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Thank you. Yes. That is the reference i was making :p
lol...I was on no sleep and somehow or other thought there was some kind of question there.:eek:

hooliganpiper
07-17-2006, 03:13 AM
I always thought people called their characters "toons" because they do look alot like cartoons. Maybe its just on the lower settings though. Cool thread keep it up.

shadrock99
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Dear bah forget that ****.***= what the hell.As in "what the hell I thought the update was tommorrow?!" And ***=what the f*&k. As in "*** I'm in the harbor and I am moving like old people screw...

Sincerely,
Shadrock

shadrock99
07-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Dear Turbine,
I can say screw but i cant say cr@p come on...

Sincerely,
Shadrock

shadrock99
07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Dear ya'll,
ts could also be threnal south...but since they nerfed the last chest in south chapter 3 this is a moot point.

Sincerely
Shadrock

Brennie
07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Dear bah forget that ****.***= what the hell.As in "what the hell I thought the update was tommorrow?!" And ***=what the f*&k. As in "*** I'm in the harbor and I am moving like old people screw...

Dear ya'll,
ts could also be threnal south...but since they nerfed the last chest in south chapter 3 this is a moot point.

Sincerely
Shadrock

Dear Shadrock,

The language in the lingo guide has been changed on purpose to be family friendly, and appropriate for all ages. Izlude is well aware the *actual* meaning of those acronyms.

Also, yes TS can mean threnal south. And no amount of balance fixing, chest removing, loot nerfing, or other development tweaking will change the meaning of "TS" or "Threnal South", so it is, infact, not a moot point at all.

Izlude
07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd like to clarify that any "internet lingo" terms that are alternatively used as words specific to DDO will usually take priority via the common meaning.

The point of the thread is to farmilliarize players who are new to online life in general with words that they can expect to see. The obscure meanings of common terms that are unique to DDO will more likely add confusion and frustration to the new players.

Thusly I've decided that for this list, the best course of action is the "common" terminology.

Anything else, like Dungeon names, can be learned while playing.

That is all, Thanks,
Izlude

CrazySamaritan
07-17-2006, 07:39 PM
I prefer what another poster jokingly said, "*** - Way to Fight!"

CephJedi
07-24-2006, 09:24 AM
GREAT Thread. I looked it up because I can't understand half of what's getting said on this forum! Is there a glossary for the forum lingo too? What does BAB mean in the context of archery?

In the "big deal" and "subtle" dept: on CoV I always used:

GJG - Good Job Gang.

Hey, that's an idea too: How about the names of the other MMORPGs?

CoH - City of Heroes
CoV - City of Villains
CoX - Either of the "City of" games
WOW- World of Warcraft
GW - Guild Wars
DAoC - Dark Age of Camelot
EQ - Everquest
EQ2 - Everquest 2
SWG - Star Wars Galaxies

I can't think of the others.

Cheers, Cephjedi

Main toon: Hailee Moonbow, lvl 5 Rogue

LordDamax
07-24-2006, 09:41 AM
NWN - Neverwinter Nights

Lilith-Darkmoon
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM
What does BAB mean in the context of archery?
It's Base Attack Bonus - used for both melee and ranged combat, it's your "to-hit" bonus. Melee attacks are further modified by your Strength modifier, and ranged attacks by your Dexterity modifier.

Brennie
07-31-2006, 02:40 AM
Got another:

OP - Used in forums to refer to the Original Poster, IE the person who started the thread with the first post.

Khukhullen
07-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Forgot some combat terms.

Have to disagree about your definition of this term. What you are talking about is called PULLING. The first time I heard the term KITING was in EQ. It referred to the tactic of casting a DOT on a MOB and running from it until the critter died. Variations include casting a speed reducing spell and NUKING it as you run, using a PET to do damage while you run, turning from time to time to Nuke to hold AGRO on you so your PET doesn't get killed, or any combination of the above.

MULTIKITING the tactic of KITING two or more MOBs at the same time. This tactic requires quick reflexes and nerves of steel. Also a huge mana pool.

EQ EverQuest, an early MMORP

Pulling Singling out one or just a few MOBs and 'pulling' them away from other critters that may ADD so that the party can eliminate them more easily. Often an archer does this job, though a caster can as well, especially if he has good CC.

ADD An additional MOB that joins the current fight without being invited.

I like yellow highlighter. :D

DOT Damage Over Time, a spell or ability that causes damage after the initial damage is done by the spell/ability. Similar to how the poisons work in DDO where they have an initial stat hit and then a minute later there is another. Most MMOs have DOTs that activate every 3 to 6 seconds and last a minute or more.

HOT Heal Over Time, a spell or ability that heals over a period of time. Think regeneration in that every few seconds you get a small amount of healing over the period of a minute or more.

PET a critter under your control, usually summoned, who fights, casts spells or attracts attention away from the PET's owner. In DDO these would be summoned monsters though in most other games you have considerably better control over their actions.

patnodewf
08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Q
QFT - Quoted For Truth

i've always seen this one as "Quite Forking True"

Bakko
08-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Adding on to other MMO's

UO = Ultima Online (the grand-daddy of all MMO's)
EQOA = Everquest Online Adventures (PS2)
FF = Final Fantasy

WoW terms that could be seen
TS = Team Speak
Vent = Ventrillo
(both chat programs)

Fraps = A program to record your game for others to see

ex: I totally pwnt that shammie noob on a 2.8k evic. I'll post the Fraps later tonight Roflcopter.

Nefertari
08-20-2006, 09:35 AM
KIK - "LOL" for the typing-impaired

ROFL - rolling on the floor laughing

ROFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my arse off

LMFAO - laughing my forking arse off

Ding! - You've achieved a new level in your game

PurdueDave
08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
...also WTS and WTB with WTT.

You might also consider including "Twink", though probably not appropriately used in DDO it's being thrown around a bit.

A DDO specific that I'll defer to your judgement on, from older PnP players in the game, would be that "thief" and "rogue" are interchangeable.

Huebacca
09-19-2006, 08:52 PM
DPS=damage per second

Mizyrlou
09-20-2006, 03:26 AM
I have seen twink used as an alternative for munchkin aka the rude player who no matter what class they're playing acts as if they're a tank and will blow any carefully hashed out plans to charge in for the most kills and broken container loot and if it were possible, let the party die so they could loot the bodies.

Thanatos
09-20-2006, 03:52 AM
I have seen twink used as an alternative for munchkin aka the rude player who no matter what class they're playing acts as if they're a tank and will blow any carefully hashed out plans to charge in for the most kills and broken container loot and if it were possible, let the party die so they could loot the bodies.Isn't that the definition of "barbarian"?

Arronaz
10-13-2006, 05:14 AM
I think the word "Toon" got the actual meaning a long time ago, back from The Realm.

Now, on this one:

LOL - Laughing out Loud (come on, everyone knows this one.)

Lol I always thought LOL was Laughing on-line!

ToeTank
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
As someone that asked this earlier, you may want to add the definition of "clicky" or "clickie".

Clark91
10-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks to the creator of this post and those who added to it!

It may be a little too late, but the developers of the DDO website should have included a link to a dictionary of the abbeviations and acronymns used in the game and posts.

baylensman
11-01-2006, 10:04 AM
TY or TNX thank you or thanks
PLAT FARMER OR PLAT FARMING OR GRINDING- a method of rasing cash by talking an ALT and running easy quest and then TWINKING the cash to another TOON. Considered by most to be Declasse' or bad form or just plain wrong.
MAXED As in my inventory or bank is MAXED, DOn't have any more space

Sorry if these are already on the post but I didn'et see them.

llazy_llama
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
I just skimmed, so I may have missed these in the thread somewhere. Meh.

XC - Xorian Cypher

BAM or Relic - Black Anvil Mines (AKA: Relic of the Soverign Host)

WF - Warforge

GC - Giant Caves. Generally used only for loot runs.

RET or Returning - Used in LFM to denote that the group is only available to returning members. Groups doing loot runs tend to break up and reform this way instead of waiting the 5 minutes for a particular instance to reset.

TWF - Twilight Forge

Leeroy - See: Zerg

AFB - Away from body. Used to denote a momentary lapse of reason (AKA: brain fart)

GTFO - Get the fork off/out

2FO or FO2 - Finish out twice. Used in quests where finishing out once takes you back to an encounter area.

GTG or G2G - This can mean either 'good to go,' as in 'Yup, got 2000 arrows. I'm gtg,' or 'got to go,' as in 'Sorry guys, kids just woke up. G2G.'

Mem - Memorized, as in a wizards spells. "Hey Gandalf, do you have Haste memed?"

AH - Auction House.

MB - Mail box.

Hope this helped.

Kistilan
01-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey, I've got some for you.

NUB: It actually originated from the Navy/Armed Forces. It stands for Non-Useable Body. IE An Ineffective or Unuseable person due to lack of skill, status, condition or location/activity currently involved in doing. Dead people are also NUBs (condition/status) until rez'd. IRL this does not happen and they remain NUBs.

Noob is just slang for newb and the derogative/elite way to say it. NUB had nothing to do with it originally.

ORLY: Just to add to it, this is a tribute/catch phrase taken from Winnie-the-Pooh's Mr. Owl.

ZING!: You don't have it. It's 1-up or "Hah, gotchya back at ya and 1-up'd at at that!" Congratulatory exclamation celebrating one's self.

DKerrigan
01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
does QFE Quoted For Effect count?

Mattax
01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Please add

DPS- Damage Per Second: Refers to the amount of damage done in an amount of time. If someone is a DPS build or class they concentrate on doing large amounts of damage in a short amount of time

Burst DPS- An abilty, tactic or method that greatly increases the DPS of a person or group but only for a short period of time. Used for killing something that is dangerous as fast as possible.

BlackPawn
01-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Toon - An alternate word used to describe a player's "Character". The origin of this word is unknown to me. Alternate words include Avatar and Character.[/COLOR]

My guess is that this more or less originated with the movie Who Framed Roger Rabit in which cartoon characters were referred to as Toons (and lived in Toontown). The term may have been in use previously but was probably popularised by this film. It was subsequently became more common in (western) animation and, I suspect, entered common usage via Saturday morning cartoons.

BlackPawn.

Toots
02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
LordDamax said:

Stripped - You have looted everything you could out of a specific chest, and it is now empty for you.

My second run thru TR (with my alt character) two of the chests told me I had looted them too many times and would give me nothing!! Those same two rooms would yield me nothing throughout the remainder of the quest.

Does it take into account how many times another of your characters has been thru it? If so, that doesn't make sense. My main char has been thru SC several times yet the chests there have yielded my alt two portable holes and various other pretty good stuff.

Mad_Bombardier
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
My second run thru TR (with my alt character) two of the chests told me I had looted them too many times and would give me nothing!! Those same two rooms would yield me nothing throughout the remainder of the quest.

Does it take into account how many times another of your characters has been thru it? If so, that doesn't make sense. My main char has been thru SC several times yet the chests there have yielded my alt two portable holes and various other pretty good stuff.No, stripped/ransacked is unique to each character. When you loot a single chest 8-12 times, you ransack it. After ransacking a few times, the chest shuts off completely (thus the above range). The timer will reset 7 days after your first opening of the chest.

I'm guessing that your 2nd TR run was within a week of your 1st TR run, so the chests had not reset yet and you were still ransacked (or close to it) from the first run. Remember that there are a couple of chests in TR that you can hit 6-7 times in a single run of the quest chain. That's almost enough to ransack, and your 2nd run on the TR chain/series put you over the top.

Toots
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
That helped me understand better. Still learning :o

gorloch
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
TWF - Twilight Forge

Correct me if I am wrong but generally when someone starts talking about TWF they mean two weapon fighting.

P

Symar-FangofLloth
02-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but generally when someone starts talking about TWF they mean two weapon fighting.

P

Every use of twf I've seen relates to two-weapon fighting.

KelWayne
03-12-2007, 08:48 AM
My current favorite that is being used is WTT... I'm guessing it means Want To Trade. Which is really close to Kargon talk.

hennebux
04-02-2007, 05:18 AM
sacked-ransacked on a chest "yeah I'm sacked on giant caves"
log-switching characters in or out "I'm gonna log my wizard" "c-ya guys I'm logging"
spam-to use repeatedly "spam disintegrate at the wiz king"
loh-lay on hands "hey hit me with a loh"
capped-maxed out xp wise "my pally is capped"
resto-short for restore "hey can I get a lesser resto?"
incap-to be down but not dead "hey I'm incapped someone toss me a heal quick!"

PranasP
04-02-2007, 10:20 AM
New one I am seeing a lot of now (and didnt look through the whole thread for so sorry if its a repeat)

waggro - wife aggro

so wkaggro or kaggro not far behind (wife and kids)

abbreviation for family aggro is too risky to type

~Bandage
04-02-2007, 02:52 PM
One of my favorites isn't on the list!

TPK ~ Total Party Kill = Party wipe

Morilmen
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
NP - No Problem (often used after TY - Thank You)

stz
04-03-2007, 06:28 AM
DPS = D:D llar Per Second ( for the plat farmers )
dibs = a loot or item that goes to someone automatically.

George
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Toon - An alternate word used to describe a player's "Character". The origin of this word is unknown to me.

I think it's from the word Cartoon Character:rolleyes:

walsh
04-23-2007, 04:14 PM
pug/*ug
u decide

Seshia
05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Toon is a phrase that has appeared in nearly all graphical online games. It is a shortened way of saying 'cartoon character', since many early games the character designs were very simple. Some people claim that the term originated with Disney's Toon Town game, where the characters are officially called Toons, but the phrase was in use before it was released, from the earliest days of MMO gaming. No one is really sure where it originally started now. Some players take offense to the term Toon, thinking it silly and childish. Other alternate terms are Character, Avatar, Alt, Main, etc.

GlassCannon
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
NEDM link appears to have been raided by Ebaumsworld. I noticed YTMND was down when I went to look something up and searched around for an explanation, and came upon an Ebaumsworld "YTMND Raid!" thread. Apparently for a short while the entire site was down. The music isn't too bad though, possibly a positive change.

Can't think of anything to add to the list, it's pretty thorough now. You got WW, TS, STK, Cat's(Catacombs), TR, SC, BAM, VON, DQ, ADQ, RW(redwillow, for the Beta and MOD 1 players), SR(Stormreaver/Spell Resistance), PoP, DPS, Batman, LFM, LFG, QFT, inc, incap, soloing(doing a quest that is not normally doable without specific preparation by yourself in the place of the appropriate team required), and other ones so I am sort of at a loss.

jomamma184
10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah i was gonna say u needed to add things such as PoP, and any other quest abbreviations, cause almost all of them in DDO have an abbreviated name used in game cause sum 1 starts abbreviating it when the quest comes out so yeah...

CrazySamaritan
12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Toon is a phrase that has appeared in nearly all graphical online games. It is a shortened way of saying 'cartoon character', since many early games the character designs were very simple. Some people claim that the term originated with Disney's Toon Town game, where the characters are officially called Toons, but the phrase was in use before it was released, from the earliest days of MMO gaming. No one is really sure where it originally started now. Some players take offense to the term Toon, thinking it silly and childish. Other alternate terms are Character, Avatar, Alt, Main, etc.

And from character: Char
(I'm one who takes offense :D)

Davinna
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I did not see DD for dimension door.