PDA

View Full Version : Way of the Water Monk

Rameses
07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Greetings.
Your journey in learning the way of the Water Monk has just begun.
First we shall explore the soul of the Water Monk: what it is the Water Monk wishes to accomplish.
Like a crashing wave of the Eternal Ocean so to the Water Monk must be able to flow around his foe and still able to crush a foe when needed.

The ocean stances focuses on redirection and the supernatural, granting increased Wisdom and saving throws at the cost of decreased Strength. While in the ocean stances, you receive a bonus to armor class while tumbling..

Disciple of Puddles (tier1)
Lesser Ocean Stance: +2 Wisdom / -2 Str. +2 to saving throws, bonus to AC while tumbling.
Flowing Water Strike I: +1d6 Cold Damage.

Adept of Rain (tier2)
Ocean Stance: +2 Wisdom / -2 Str. +3 to saving throws, bonus to AC while tumbling.
Flowing Water Strike II: +2d6 Cold Damage.

Master of the Sea (tier3)
Eternal Ocean Stance: +3 Wisdom / -2 Str. +4 to saving throws, bonus to AC while tumbling.
Flowing Water Strike III: +2d6 Cold Damage plus an additional +2d6 Cold Damage on a Crit.

By using any combination of the Flowing Water Strikes a Water Monk unlocks The Raging Sea "finisher."
"Finisher" does not refer to a killing strike like one would see in other "Kombat" games. The "finisher" is a special attack that is unlocked using combinations of the elemental and path attacks.

The Raging Sea
Like a swimmer fighting against the raging sea, your enemy finds it difficult to attack with speed.
This attack slows your enemies attacks a sucessful Fortitude save ends the effect.
(DC 10 + Monk level + Wisdom Modifier.)

Other Strikes that we learn from meditating on the ebb and flow of the Ocean are:

Difficulty at the Beginning
Functions as a Lesser Restoration.

Unbalancing Strike I
You have learn several joint strikes. You can attack weak points of your opponent, throwing them off balance for a short period of time.
This attack reduces their Armor Class by 2, applies a -10 penalty to their Balance skill, and renders tem vulnerable to Sneak Attacks.
A successful Reflex save negates this effect. (DC = 10 + Monk level + Wisdom Modifier.)

(heading home will edit and add more.)

Rameses
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
reserved.

Rameses
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
reserved some more.

winsom
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
critical hit synergies with Ocean Stance:

Ocean Stance -> Higher Wisdom -> More Stuns -> More crits = +4d6 cold damage w/ Flowing Water III Strike

More Crits + Animal Path of the Crane = greater Ki generation

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." -- Bruce Lee

Rameses
07-03-2008, 11:56 AM
critical hit synergies with Ocean Stance:

Ocean Stance -> Higher Wisdom -> More Stuns -> More crits = +4d6 cold damage w/ Flowing Water III Strike

More Crits + Animal Path of the Crane = greater Ki generation

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks Winsom I'll be adding this when I get time.

Garth_of_Sarlona
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah water stance + stunning fist + way of crane + +5 bursting handwraps ftw! I'm going that way and it's working out quite well - except when people come along and STEAL MY KI!!! :(

Garth

Raiken
07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Just dont leave out us dark monks.

water - dark - water = Freeze The Lifeblood

a paralyzing effect against humanoid opponents dc - 10 + monk lvl + wis modifier.

Rameses
07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Just dont leave out us dark monks.

water - dark - water = Freeze The Lifeblood

a paralyzing effect against humanoid opponents dc - 10 + monk lvl + wis modifier.

lol don't worry I'll be including as much information about the different paths as possible.

Kargon
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah water stance + stunning fist + way of crane + +5 bursting handwraps ftw! I'm going that way and it's working out quite well - except when people come along and STEAL MY KI!!! :(

Garth

FREE KI!!!

Inspire
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
My Monk Does The Same Thing Crane + Stunning Fist(I Hardly Use Anything Else, Save QP For Flavor:D), Add In A Dash Of Unbalancing Strike And Eagles Talon(Fire Stance I Know! Gah!) And Its -6 To Their Ac, Along With Destruction Handwraps Thats -10Ac:D, Makes Those Elite Orthins An Easy Target For My Water Monk.

MrCow
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Add In A Dash Of Unbalancing Strike And Eagles Talon(Fire Stance I Know! Gah!) And Its -6 To Their Ac, Along With Destruction Handwraps Thats -10Ac, Makes Those Elite Orthins An Easy Target For My Water Monk.

Yep, its amazing how much a monk can drop a monster's AC. Mine actually has Improved Sundering (STR build) and I follow it up with Unbalancing Strike and Eagle Strike. Bosses tend to be rather easy to whack at that point.

Inspire
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Yep, its amazing how much a monk can drop a monster's AC. Mine actually has Improved Sundering (STR build) and I follow it up with Unbalancing Strike and Eagle Strike. Bosses tend to be rather easy to whack at that point.

Yep, As Soon As GS Handwraps Are Introduced, I Have Ooze2 On The Way, To Drop It 5 More.

Inspire
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
BTW Rameses, Ac Bonus From Tumble In Water Stance Goes Up By 2,4,6

query
07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
that was my question (yeah if you can tumble AND look at your effects log/box you are amazing at multitasking!)

Hmm, Dark Monks?

(*Humms the theme of the "Empire March" adding "Hiii-ya!" at the end of each line.*

I've been ROBBED! Where is our Throat Crush?! :) )