PDA

View Full Version : Build: A Very Tanky Dwarven Paladin

Twerpp
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey all, here is what I think is a great END-GAMER near pure pally build. I cannot build a pure Pally because I don’t see the point of all the AC and saves if you don’t have the most awesome Tank skill in the game maxed, INTIMIDATE. This means pulling mobs off of a squishy caster and back into their fiery nuke with the flick of a button, indefinitely and on a roll of “1”. However 19 Pally/1 other still gets you the end-game pally enhancements and spells developed thus far.

Disclaimers: Yes, I used a fat ugly smelly pig-dwarf. The enhancements can’t be beat for my goal, Highest AC with no tower shield penalty, damn high attack roll with a 2d8 x3 crit weapon, and over 400 HPs without compromising the feats I felt would make this guy most valuable. And once again, sorry he couldn’t be pure pally, the one and ONLY reason is the intimidate. The fighter feat is a plus but not needed. And yes, this is a gear intensive, endgame raid build. You can hack it to pieces and make a budget 28 pt casual gimp or whatever but it simply wont be as good.

Level 16 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
1 Fighter/15 Paladin

Hit Points: 160+20heroic+10draconic+80con+45shroud+18minos+18t uff feat+60enhancements puts him at 411, you can get 40 more from enhancements and 30 from GFL if you decide HP’s are your priority, I wouldn’t.
Spell Points: Base + Wiz 5 + Wisdom Bonus = More than enough for a Paladin. Plenty of options for more if that’s your priority
BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
To hit score should be +40 buffed if I did my math right. Nice :D
Fortitude: 21 (more with items and such this was base saves off calculator)
Reflex: 15 (more with items and such this was base saves off calculator)
Will: 13 (more with items and such this was base saves off calculator)

Stats:
32 pt build
STR 17 – 28 or 30 depending on +1 or +3 tome all level stat increases here
DEX 14 - 22 with +2 tome
CON 14 -22 with +2 tome
WIS 8 - 10 with +2 tome
INT 11 - 13 with +2 tome
CHA 12 - 22 with +2 tome and Pally Cha II

AC:
10 Base
6 Dex
14 Armor Black Dragon Plate
3 Barkskin
5 Deflection
6 Dodge
5 Bulwark
5 CE
4 Insight
7 Hvy Shield (Sorrel for the +4 resistance, or Lorriks for the DR, not Leviks, tower shields suck!)

Constant AC: 65 unless you get your bark dispelled, then guess what, drink another. This is 65 without a -2 Tower penalty! I like that! Also, 62 without the chattering ring is pretty damn good.

Equip:
Trinket: Head of Good Fortune or swap to Bloodstone for powatk DPS mode
Domepiece: Minos
Cloak: +6 Cha
Neck: +5 Prot
Goggles: Concordant Opp I with tier 3 hit points added, 6 wis +45 hps (no need for concordant opp II unless you really want)
Gloves: +6 Str
Belt: Daggerstooth
Ring1: Chattering
Ring2: +15 intimidate or +6 con
Boots: +6 Dex
Bracers: Chaosguard
Shield: Sorrell (+7 Hvy shield and +4 resist/protect)
Armor: Black Dragon Plate (cuz it looks Darth Vader evil and I love it and it provides the best AC for this build)

Playstyle: Intimitank FTW. Mediocre DPS about the same as a sword and board fighter. Lots of times you will be more useful just shield blocking while your 11 homies get to safely beat the snot out of a raid boss. This is called tanking.

Feats:
1 Dodge
1 Fighter:Toughness
3 CE
6 Bullheaded
9 Imp Crit Slash
12 Extend Spell or Power Attack your choice of playstyle if you are more active/twitch go power attack, if you are slow take extend
15 Skill Focus Intimidate

Total Intimidate:
19 Ranks
15 item
6 Cha (7 if you get +3 tome)
5 feats
1 Fighter Intimidate
2 Head of GF
4 Greater Hero
=52, 53 if you ever get the tome. Not too shabby for a 94% Paladin. This will get every mob on VoD elite on a 1 except bats who are immune and Sulo himself you will need a decent roll.

Enhancements (change to flavor your playstyle, if you took Power Attack consider Axe Damage II, SOOOOO many good enhancements there simply aren’t enough AP’s for a dwarven pally…I would prob re-spec multiple times before settling on something)
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery III
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack II
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery II
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness II
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness III
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good III
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good IV
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good III
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness III

Twerpp
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
One other option, start with rogue instead of fighter, get your INT to 14 instead of 13, max up UMD and Intimidate and eventually be able to heal scroll on a "1". Then you just became the most party useful and self sufficent Pally ever. You lose a feat and 1 BAB, and 1 intimidate from fighters enhancement, they both get haste boost though which is nice. The umd opens up some nice stuff, true seeing scrolls, d-door, greater tele, heals, greater restores, raise deads, stoneskin wands, blur wands, etc etc. Just be aware everyone will laugh at you and ask why you dont have 2 of rogue and evasion.

wolfy42
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I would say if your going with only 1 level...definatly go with the rogue level.

I realize your taking the 15th pally level for the aura buff....but god it hurts losing the +1 strength from fighter and additional bonus feat...or even more....evasion from the rogue.

I don't really think the 1 ac is worth it...but I realize your going for a mostly pure paladin build here.

Also I see you went with Dwaren shield mastery I and II...you might want to grab shield mastery feats as well to max out the DR.

Finally why not use a TS at least when you are turtling up? It's extra DR and AC and it can be switched to quickly....not a huge difference though.

Together between TS and Shield mastery I and II you could add a significant amount to your DR though....which would be useful with such a high intimidate:)

Inspire
07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
He Will Lose 3-4Ac With A Tower Shield.

wolfy42
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the double post...just wanted to add one more thing.

I really think going the rogue route is better so you can maximize your UMD....it adds alot to the build. Also you could handle at least minor Trap disarming and pick locks just fine with appropriate equipment boosts etc.

If your already going for a min 13 int for CE...why not take the rogue lvl or lvls to use the int in other ways as well.

I realize of course you already have Intimidate as a cross class skill to keep up....adding UMD on top of that hurts (you need a 14 int just to keep both up with cross class skills. 12 base + 2 tome.

Thing is even with just your first lvl put into search + Disarm trap you can still disarm non-elite traps with equipment boosts/CE and rogue skill boost 1 going. Nice as your playing through the game at least since it's one less thing to worry about needing for quite a few quests.

Taking 2 rogue levels of course allows you to boost DT a bunch more as well.....and gives you evasion.

I can see planning to only take 1 rogue lvl on creation...but actually going all 16 levels and never taking that second rogue level would be VERY hard lol.

wolfy42
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
He Will Lose 3-4Ac With A Tower Shield.

Oh blah, I forgot he went with the DT Belt.....sorry.

Um he still would not lose any AC though.

He's only getting 6 ac total from dex....1 base for Full plate + 2 from mithril + 2 from DAM + 2 from belt=7 possible..but he only has a 22 dex for 6 AC.

Mith TS allows 4 dex AC..so he loses 2 points...but gains them back fromt he bonus 2 ac from tower shield.

And he gains the bonus DR

So if he's turtling up...it's a net gain.

If he wasn't using the belt....it would be a gain in AC as well.

Alcides
07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
For my dwarven intimitank Grundable, I went with the following stats
STR: 14 + 1 Book + 3 Level + 6 Item = 24
DEX: 12 + 1 Book + 5 Item = 18
CON: 16 + 2 Book + 6 Item = 24
Int: 12 + 1 Book = 13
Wis: 14 + 2 Book + 6 Item = 22
Cha: 12 + 1 Level + 2 Book + 3 Enhancement + 6 Item = 24

Uses a +5 Mithral Tower and +5 Mithral FP with Dwarven Armor Mastery I
To offset the tower penalty my gloves will be Spectral Gloves(+5 Dex, +2 Competence Bonus to Hit, Ghost Touch)

Currently the only mob I have problems tanking is the Pit Fiend since my intimidate doesn't always work, yet.

Averroes
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Equip:
Trinket: Head of Good Fortune or swap to Bloodstone for powatk DPS mode
Domepiece: Minos
Cloak: +6 Cha
Neck: +5 Prot
Goggles: Concordant Opp I with tier 3 hit points added, 6 wis +45 hps (no need for concordant opp II unless you really want)
Gloves: +6 Str
Belt: Daggerstooth
Ring1: Chattering
Ring2: +6 Con
Boots: +6 Dex
Bracers: Chaosguard
Shield: Sorrell (+7 Hvy shield and +4 resist/protect)
Armor: Black Dragon Plate (cuz it looks Darth Vader evil and I love it and it provides the best AC for this build)

How would you re-work this to fit in an intimdate item? Not going to intimidate much without it... Ring2 I suppose.

Also going to be very hard to work in non-dispellable resist items in there. I guess also Ring2, or neck for electric. And no striding item hurts. I can't even imagine playing a character without one... Of course, my intimitank loses striding when he can't wear madstone boots too. :/

ShadowFox1978
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Quick thoughts. You don't have room for an itimidate item with your set-up. And I believe they have fixed the Minos bug(it no longer works as a qualifier for the enhancments). Your level 12 feat would have to be toughness. Why not ditch the minos and craft a mineral 2 helm? It would get you extra hp, heavy fort, and prot 5. That would free up your neck slot for an intim item, or move con from a ring to the neck, if you can get an intim ring. Once you cleanse the item, you could create the goggles with sp and charisma skills to boost your intimidate and sp pool. Just a few thoughts, as you list an intim item, but have nowhere to put it in gear wise.

Twerpp
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Quick thoughts. You don't have room for an itimidate item with your set-up. And I believe they have fixed the Minos bug(it no longer works as a qualifier for the enhancments). Your level 12 feat would have to be toughness. Why not ditch the minos and craft a mineral 2 helm? It would get you extra hp, heavy fort, and prot 5. That would free up your neck slot for an intim item, or move con from a ring to the neck, if you can get an intim ring. Once you cleanse the item, you could create the goggles with sp and charisma skills to boost your intimidate and sp pool. Just a few thoughts, as you list an intim item, but have nowhere to put it in gear wise.

Level 1 feat was toughness, I accidentally put it under the fighter feat where dodge was supposed to be.

Twerpp
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
How would you re-work this to fit in an intimdate item? Not going to intimidate much without it... Ring2 I suppose.

Also going to be very hard to work in non-dispellable resist items in there. I guess also Ring2, or neck for electric. And no striding item hurts. I can't even imagine playing a character without one... Of course, my intimitank loses striding when he can't wear madstone boots too. :/

I have up to +15 intimidate rings and hats from Twerpp. For a while I will be using it on ring slot mostly, and only getting the +3 con from daggerstooth, I would probably use dwarven con I to round out the oddness of it.

Ultimately on such an item/stat dependent build you just have to get loads of gear to be the best, he will need a mineral II item somewhere, or Full Plate of the Defender would be a great reward for an intimitank, though he would drop 1 AC he would free up enhancements or a very valuable belt slot.

The non dispellable resist item is Sorrel, also a legacy from Twerpp.

Averroes
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I have up to +15 intimidate rings and hats from Twerpp. For a while I will be using it on ring slot mostly, and only getting the +3 con from daggerstooth, I would probably use dwarven con I to round out the oddness of it.

Ultimately on such an item/stat dependent build you just have to get loads of gear to be the best, he will need a mineral II item somewhere, or Full Plate of the Defender would be a great reward for an intimitank, though he would drop 1 AC he would free up enhancements or a very valuable belt slot.

The non dispellable resist item is Sorrel, also a legacy from Twerpp.

Meant elemental resists. Non-dispellable cold is nice nowadays...

In any case, I know that my intimitank winds up carrying heavy fort in 2 slots, elemental resistances in 3, con in 2, and protection in 2. And I have to swap 'em all pretty regularly. I suspect this character, similarly, would almost never be able to wear the con6 ring.

And if you're really going to use Sorrel, it might be worth considering using the neck slot for greensteel to leave room for either set of raid goggles.

wolfy42
07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
I rarely use an intimidate helm becuase that slot is always being used by something else. Easiest to use is your ring 2 slot for swapping (I've talked about this before). It's by far the easiest way to switch through different "effects" on a character quickly. You only need the bonus to intimidate on WHEN YOU USE IT.......so it's not a huge deal to swap it out quickly.

I generally use UWA through a ring/skill boosts through a ring (Wish I could get UMD that way lol) and as many resists as possible through my ring as well.

Just makes my life so much easier.

Twerpp
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Meant elemental resists. Non-dispellable cold is nice nowadays...

In any case, I know that my intimitank winds up carrying heavy fort in 2 slots, elemental resistances in 3, con in 2, and protection in 2. And I have to swap 'em all pretty regularly. I suspect this character, similarly, would almost never be able to wear the con6 ring.

And if you're really going to use Sorrel, it might be worth considering using the neck slot for greensteel to leave room for either set of raid goggles.

This guy just cant wear everything, its not in the cards. He can hit over 400hp without the con ring and gfl anyway, and theres more to be tapped into in enhancements if needed.

Non-dispellable cold? I can think of a few instances but nothing gamebreaking there....

ariel7
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=white]Feats:
1 Dodge
1 Fighter:Toughness
3 CE
6 Bullheaded
9 Imp Crit Slash
12 Extend Spell or Power Attack your choice of playstyle if you are more active/twitch go power attack, if you are slow take extend
15 Skill Focus Intimidate

Did you consider replacing Level 6's Bullheaded feat and reading (eating as some say) a +1 tome early (or that +2 if you have it sitting in bank) and taking Force of Personality. You'd still be over 50 intimidate but would be adding 6 more to reflex and fort saves, 5 to will saves (as bullheaded would add 1)

Just a thought.

Twerpp
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
For my dwarven intimitank Grundable, I went with the following stats
STR: 14 + 1 Book + 3 Level + 6 Item = 24
DEX: 12 + 1 Book + 5 Item = 18
CON: 16 + 2 Book + 6 Item = 24
Int: 12 + 1 Book = 13
Wis: 14 + 2 Book + 6 Item = 22
Cha: 12 + 1 Level + 2 Book + 3 Enhancement + 6 Item = 24

Uses a +5 Mithral Tower and +5 Mithral FP with Dwarven Armor Mastery I
To offset the tower penalty my gloves will be Spectral Gloves(+5 Dex, +2 Competence Bonus to Hit, Ghost Touch)

Currently the only mob I have problems tanking is the Pit Fiend since my intimidate doesn't always work, yet.

Those a awesome starting stats, but I really wanted hope of hitting 30 str with a +3 tome as well. I considered also an endgame 24 cha, but would have taken it from con, not str. As the level cap raises, dwarven pallies will be able to afford all the awesome AP's out there for them, dwarven con and toughness is the icing on the cake to the paladin part so I didnt max it...patience lol.

Twerpp
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Did you consider replacing Level 6's Bullheaded feat and reading (eating as some say) a +1 tome early (or that +2 if you have it sitting in bank) and taking Force of Personality. You'd still be over 50 intimidate but would be adding 6 more to reflex and fort saves, 5 to will saves (as bullheaded would add 1)

Just a thought.

I see the FoP part but how do you get +6 to reflex and fort? Bullheaded was 100% about the +2 to intimidate, the will save part is nice but I dont think really needed.

Alcides
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Heres Grundable's build sheet if you want some additional ideas. This is more or less what Grundable would have if he had perfect gear.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.96
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Grundable Slamhammer
Level 16 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
(1 Fighter \ 15 Paladin)
Hit Points: 362
Spell Points: 232
BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 14
Will: 16

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Strength 14 20 20
Dexterity 12 13 13
Constitution 16 18 18
Intelligence 12 13 13
Wisdom 14 16 16
Charisma 12 15 18

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 1
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 16
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 16
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 16
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 16

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Balance 3 3 7
Bluff 1 4 4
Concentration 5 21 21
Diplomacy 1 4 4
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 1 4 4
Heal 2 3 3
Hide 1 1 1
Intimidate 5 23 27
Jump 2 5 5
Listen 2 3 3
Move Silently 1 1 1
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 1 1 1
Search 1 1 3
Spot 2 3 3
Swim 2 5 5
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a n/a

Notable Equipment
Helmet: +15 Intimidate Helm
Armor: +5 Mithral Full Plate
Weapon: +5 Green Steel Dwarven Axe
Shield: +5 Mithral Steel Tower Shield
Ring: Chattering Ring
Ring: +6 Constitution Ring
Trinket: Head of Good Fortune
Belt: Belt of Brute Strength
Boots: Boots of the Innocent
Bracers: Chaosguarde
Gloves: Spectral Gloves
Neck: +6 Wisdom Necklace
Goggles: Green Steel Goggles
Cloak: +6 Charisma Cloak

Level 1 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate I

Level 2 (Paladin)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)

Level 3 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I

Level 4 (Paladin)
Ability Raise: CHA
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Enhancement: Paladin Item Defense I

Level 5 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II

Level 6 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness II

Level 7 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma II

Level 8 (Paladin)
Ability Raise: STR
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness III

Level 9 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness III

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness IV

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness IV
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good III
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good III

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma III

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Intimidate
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II

Level 16 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good IV
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I

Notorious
07-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Quick thoughts. You don't have room for an itimidate item with your set-up. And I believe they have fixed the Minos bug(it no longer works as a qualifier for the enhancments).

Never confirmed to be a bug - and still works as a qualifer. In game tested.

Notorious
07-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Good to see you stuck as close to pure as possible too.

Gunga
07-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Nice build, Twerp. Just built an intimitank who will be 13/3 fighter/pali, but I like this build idea alot.