PDA

View Full Version : Would you play a Harry Potter MMO

Xalted_Vol
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Just askin........Yes I read the books wanna make something of it :)

Odium
06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
To have the "feel" of the harry potter books, i would have to be a teenage person and that would have too childish of a feel for me. The books were great, the characters were great, but the game would be marketed for tweens/teens/children and thats something that i couldn't deal with.

Now a MMORPG based in George R. R. Martins "song of ice and fire" world would be another story. Me against the mountain that rides in a joust....come on, that would be SWEET!!!

ArkoHighStar
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Considering Turbine is probably making one now, maybe but hen again it is Turbine so maybe not

Mekquake
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Have not read any of the books...Make an MMO based on any of the 2000AD comics (Rogue-troop,Mega-city1,Nemsis). I would would so be there.

Harry Potter fan base is big, but they are not MMO player's. would be hard to see how this type of MMO would work.

I think the main age range of a MMO player's is 18-40 and mostly males, and how may 25yr male would play HPotteronline.

And if the game was targeted for younger player. You would never get the long term number to make the game work.

My 2cents...

Shaamis
06-26-2008, 03:17 PM
No way, HPO wouldn't stand a chance against Neopets Online!

same demographics pretty much....:P

ArkoHighStar
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Have not read any of the books...Make an MMO based on any of the 2000AD comics (Rogue-troop,Mega-city1,Nemsis). I would would so be there.

Harry Potter fan base is big, but they are not MMO player's. would be hard to see how this type of MMO would work.

I think the main age range of a MMO player's is 18-40 and mostly males, and how may 25yr male would play HPotteronline.

And if the game was targeted for younger player. You would never get the long term number to make the game work.

My 2cents...

there are plenty of MMO's geared towards younger players, Dinsy's Toontown is one, Maple Story, Hello Kitty Online is in beta(I'm up to lvl 50:D). It could be a big hit if done right

Uska
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
No I dont think so I enjoyed the books and movies but dont want to play that.

Aesop
06-26-2008, 03:29 PM
depends on how they did it... and what age group it was geared towards.

Hafeal
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
No.

sparkling_diamond_l
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
I love all things Harry Potter (accept the 3rd movie...that was just terrible), so yeah, I would at least try the Harry Potter MMO. But if it wasn't enough like the BOOKS, I probably wouldn't keep playing. I think it would be cool to attend Hogwarts as a young witch and work my way through classes and missions to become better at using magic. Who ever makes the Harry Potter MMO has the chance to do something really cool and I just hope they don't mess it up. :)

WeaselKing
06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
No

Now Wheel of Time, we can talk about.

Kerrn_Siff
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
No.

and umm...

No.

GeneralDiomedes
06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
No

Now Wheel of Time, we can talk about.

where every raid has an evil boss called the 'Dark One'?

gah that was one of the cheesiest series of all time.

arminius
06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't see how they'd get past the Restrictions on Underage Magic.

They'd either have to have all the action take place in school (doubtful since the school would be destroyed or otherwise be inoperable as a school (and yes, I know that spoiler you are about to point out)) or have all the action take place once they are old enough to be out of school (which would make them old and outside of the realm of the books, and out of Hogwarts as well, which is a huge part of the charm of the books) or have the Restrictions be in effect.

Or have the characters not use magic, of course, which would result in the Shortest Lived MMO Evah (under 24 hours).

And from the way it works in the book, detection of underage magic is instantaneous and unavoidable, and punished with extreme severity. It would take some major fudging (or Fudge-ing, ha ha) to make any sort of workable explanation at all.

_

Pyromaniac
06-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't think of an MMO that I would have less interest in than Harry Potter. I'd sign up for a 10 year sub to Disney Pirates first.

Kalari
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
:)
there are plenty of MMO's geared towards younger players, Dinsy's Toontown is one, Maple Story, Hello Kitty Online is in beta(I'm up to lvl 50:D). It could be a big hit if done right

LOL you sir are awesome ^_^ tell me do you get power attack of lovely hearts and teddy bears at level 50? Or do they do the cuteness cuddle of DOOM attack? hehe that just gave me the giggles.

To the op I never really got into the whole HP thing ive seen some of the movies and while I love magics and the arcane I just dont see an mmo with that genre drawing me in. DDO got me because I loved playing D&D and running with other adults playing in the same mind frame. But when I see HP threads in other forums I go to (anime and pop culture based) Its always some 14 year old that knows everything because they could read at 6 and everything is soo hot and cool and I think id pull my hair out if I had to game with people like that. It be cool for teens but im too old and not patient enough for a game like that lol.

Missing_Minds
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I would not. The HP world just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Just my opinion.

EspyLacopa
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Just askin........Yes I read the books wanna make something of it :)
If it took place in the overall world of Harry Potter, ie, characters have just left whichever magic school. . .

Perhaps.

Kerrn_Siff
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM

I agree with Karli, you are awesome :)

Though not because of being level 50 on HKO, but because of what's in your vid. You made me cry.. I mean almost made me cr.. sniffle.. I got a bit tear.. something flew right off.. umm.. key board and hit me in the eye...

Very good stuff :)

llevenbaxx
06-27-2008, 07:42 AM

Yeah, book 1 was a total grabber(awesome! with a side of knockoff), 2 was pretty cool(still new) and then after that they seemed to completely run out of ideas and just kept churning out the same story with the same descriptions out again and again and... anyway my dumbass went all the way to book 8:o :)

branmakmuffin
06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Not in an octillion years.

Hambo
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

My 2cents...

Wow. Rogue Trooper... That brings back memories! Talk about your clickies! :D

I wonder if you would have the option of playing Helm, Rifle or Backpack? :D

Uska
06-27-2008, 12:26 PM

I agree dont want to get flamed but jordan was a hack

ArkoHighStar
06-27-2008, 03:25 PM
:)

LOL you sir are awesome ^_^ tell me do you get power attack of lovely hearts and teddy bears at level 50? Or do they do the cuteness cuddle of DOOM attack? hehe that just gave me the giggles.

To the op I never really got into the whole HP thing ive seen some of the movies and while I love magics and the arcane I just dont see an mmo with that genre drawing me in. DDO got me because I loved playing D&D and running with other adults playing in the same mind frame. But when I see HP threads in other forums I go to (anime and pop culture based) Its always some 14 year old that knows everything because they could read at 6 and everything is soo hot and cool and I think id pull my hair out if I had to game with people like that. It be cool for teens but im too old and not patient enough for a game like that lol.

This is my Hello Kitty character

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/arkohighstar/anarchybr.jpg

Vizzini
06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
But yes I most certainly would.

Cendaer
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I can't seem to imagine how they could make an MMO based on the lore of Harry Potter, so if someone were to produce one, they'd have to be darned innovative, and by that right, I would have to, at least, give it a try.

The only thing I can think of that would need to be included in a Harry Potter game, would be voice recognition and the requirement that the player actually SPEAK the spells in order to use them. I have to give Rowling credit for her spells' verbal components being catchy and creative. Things like: Accio Broom!, or Stupefy!, or Imperio!, or Relashio!, or Muffliato, or everyone's favorite Wingardium Leviosa.

And a Deluminator would have to be in the loot tables somewhere, so annoying people like me can make it dark wherever we go...

JakLee7
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Not in an octillion years.

x2 for me

however - I think if done well a naruto game would be very entertaining. Start off graduating from the ninja academy & working your way up to Sanin/Kage/S-level ninja - focusing early on team play & going village against village. Kekki-genkai only available in certain villages; yeah I thought about that, but HPO - no thx

Ron
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM

Indeed. Martin writes circles around that guy.

Natalae
06-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Harry twatter MMORPG...deal me in for that action!!!

EspyLacopa
06-28-2008, 05:39 AM
I personally would still prefer a good Transformers MMO.

Geonis
06-28-2008, 06:25 AM
To have the "feel" of the harry potter books, i would have to be a teenage person and that would have too childish of a feel for me. The books were great, the characters were great, but the game would be marketed for tweens/teens/children and thats something that i couldn't deal with.

Now a MMORPG based in George R. R. Martins "song of ice and fire" world would be another story. Me against the mountain that rides in a joust....come on, that would be SWEET!!!

As long as I get to do some Needlework!!!! :D

(Have to have read the books to get this reference.)

Geonis
06-28-2008, 06:29 AM

If you don't want to get flamed, that's not a good way to do it.

I read Jordan for the first time almost 20 years ago, and am still eagerly awaiting the final book next year(yes, I know it's not going to be him, but he sat down with his wife [who does all his editing] and explained what should happen, and she picked the writer and will do the final editing).

Geonis
06-28-2008, 06:30 AM

Or, maybe taking on a Chosen or two. A WoT MMO would be much more about the role playing side than the power gaming.

Ron
06-28-2008, 07:15 AM

I read Jordan for the first time almost 20 years ago, and am still eagerly awaiting the final book next year(yes, I know it's not going to be him, but he sat down with his wife [who does all his editing] and explained what should happen, and she picked the writer and will do the final editing).

Not to turn this into a Jordan flame war or anything. I mean, to each his own, right, hehe. But I just don't get the Jordan fans. I read the first 8 or 9 books of WoT. The first three or so were good to me, I liked them well enough. But then Jordan (and all this is JUST IMO, I want to stress), lost all cohesiveness and the series went straight into the pot. I slogged through another 5 or 6 books, hating each one more and more. The final straw was (I think) the Dagger one, where literally NOTHING happened until the final page of the book. 850 pages of filler, ONE PARAGRAPH of something happening. It maddened me, and I bought not another book of the series. There are, as far as I'm concerned, NO redeeming qualities to that book at all.

To me, the series that is the end-all of high fantasy is G.R.R. Martins Song of Ice and Fire. To be fair, he does suffer a bit from Jordan's syndrome of writing too much filler (books 2 and 4 were bad about this). But even at his worst (book 4), he's got 10 times the action in it that Jordan does at his best. He meant for the series to be 6 books, but it's now turned into 7, of which he's finished 4. If you haven't read SoIaF, do yourself a HUGE favor and pick up book 1. These are VERY good books. They are what Jordan's books SHOULD have been.

Kalari
06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
This is my Hello Kitty character

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/arkohighstar/anarchybr.jpg

hehe its cute in a scary smokey goth anti disney mickey mouse sort of way ^_^ no wonder you got to level 50 the other players were probably paranoid of ya hehe

Uska
06-28-2008, 09:34 AM

I am sorry he is dead but at least we wont have to hear people raving about his books anymore, Martin, Saberhagen, Turttledove and Cook wove better stories then he ever could.

Uska
06-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Or, maybe taking on a Chosen or two. A WoT MMO would be much more about the role playing side than the power gaming.

and as such would never ever work