PDA

View Full Version : Debuffing yourself...?

swooshrp
06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I have heard numerous times in numerous groups where a request was made to be able to debuff yourself. For example, clicking your buff icon and automatically breaking it. The same could be used for summoned pets (add a summoned pet icon to top) and charms.

This would be nice to have in certain situations where you would rather have it off or the ability to desummon or uncharm. Add a toggle switch to lock them so one does not accidently turn it off to make it more user friendly.

Of course I would not want Turbine to spend large amounts of development on this, but if a quick addition is possible...I would vote for the addition of this capability.

Can any dev acknowledge this idea being discussed before?

Turial
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
There are times when it would be useful. I would like to see it one day...though it may be many mods away.

Citymorg
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Isn't there already a dispel magic and break enchantment? Why should you be able to do this if you are a barbarian?

tenga
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
most other mmo's you can click buffs off, i dont see why not

<incoming: the "pnp doesnt allow it" arguement>

Cordelia
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
This question was put to the devs on a recent DDOcast. They basically said it's not a quick fix, and it likely won't happen. I believe the quote was something like: "Too much strength is rarely, if ever a bad thing".

Mind you, this was in reference to buffs only. I think the 'dismiss summon' is a good idea, and is likely far easier to implement.

Allice
06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I would like to see this too. So many times people put rage on my character without me knowing =/

tenga
06-26-2008, 12:27 AM
another good example on when this would be useful.. when running shroud ill have a bunch of prot. fire pots for the pit fiend, then ill get a good prot. from a caster, and ill get hit by a fireball and itll knock the protection down to like 5, but since its still technically more powerful than the potion, im stuck with the 5 until i get busted by another fireball.

..whats a run on sentence?

Impaqt
06-26-2008, 01:47 AM
another good example on when this would be useful.. when running shroud ill have a bunch of prot. fire pots for the pit fiend, then ill get a good prot. from a caster, and ill get hit by a fireball and itll knock the protection down to like 5, but since its still technically more powerful than the potion, im stuck with the 5 until i get busted by another fireball.

..whats a run on sentence?

Thats anotherr problem entirely. bad Coding. The Time Left on protection overides the Protection itself. There sholdnt be a Timer on teh Protection from elements spell. It shouldnt be extendable... You should just get the protection amount and when its gone its gone, if you get a recast, the new one shoudl take over.

GlassCannon
06-26-2008, 04:29 AM
I have heard numerous times in numerous groups where a request was made to be able to debuff yourself. For example, clicking your buff icon and automatically breaking it. The same could be used for summoned pets (add a summoned pet icon to top) and charms.

This would be nice to have in certain situations where you would rather have it off or the ability to desummon or uncharm. Add a toggle switch to lock them so one does not accidently turn it off to make it more user friendly.

Of course I would not want Turbine to spend large amounts of development on this, but if a quick addition is possible...I would vote for the addition of this capability.

Can any dev acknowledge this idea being discussed before?

And what about madly clicking randomly on your screen during a heated fight? Accidently removing your Haste would infuriate many players... many indeed. More damaging would be mistakenly removing your Resistances or Heroism. I thumbs-down the option to do it on-screen, but move to a case scenario that in the occurrance of such an ability, it appears in a seperate and not easily opened tab inside a window. A confirmation box should be added as well.

For the rest of your woes, simply cast Dispel or Greater Dispel with no target. That should fix you right up.

MysticTheurge
06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Thats anotherr problem entirely. bad Coding. The Time Left on protection overides the Protection itself. There sholdnt be a Timer on teh Protection from elements spell. It shouldnt be extendable... You should just get the protection amount and when its gone its gone, if you get a recast, the new one shoudl take over.

I like this idea. The duration in D&D is 10 minutes per level. When you add that to the fact that you rarely, if ever, actually have the timer run out on Protection from Energy (even at DDO's 1 min/level), and there's really very little reason for the spell to actually have a duration.

Missing_Minds
06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
And what about madly clicking randomly on your screen during a heated fight? Accidently removing your Haste would infuriate many players... many indeed. More damaging would be mistakenly removing your Resistances or Heroism. I thumbs-down the option to do it on-screen, but move to a case scenario that in the occurrance of such an ability, it appears in a seperate and not easily opened tab inside a window. A confirmation box should be added as well.

For the rest of your woes, simply cast Dispel or Greater Dispel with no target. That should fix you right up.

em.... how often do you actually click at the very top of your screen just off to the right? Seriously.

Talcyndl
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
em.... how often do you actually click at the very top of your screen just off to the right? Seriously.

In a crazy fight on one of my active melee characters? Enough that it would be an issue. It's not so much the intentional clicks, it's losing the mouse pointer and clicking there accidently.

swooshrp
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
In a crazy fight on one of my active melee characters? Enough that it would be an issue. It's not so much the intentional clicks, it's losing the mouse pointer and clicking there accidently.

I did in my original post mention a 'lock-down' toggle for this exact reason. Being only able to "debuff" yourself by first unlocking it via a UI toggle check box. Or for convenience if some do not believe they might unintentional click the top of their screen.

I imagine that it would used more often in recouping periods or right before a major battle, not during any combat.

tenga
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
and also, to appease glasscannon, they could make it a right-buff-then-click-and-select-remove-buff type of thing.