PDA

View Full Version : Future settings for DDO II

SniptheShadow
06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
...or one heck of a gi-normous expansion!

Sitting here wondering where I'd like to do my MMO adventuring in this Ebberon setting beyond Stormreach.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stormreach. Jeez, I haven't even scratched the surface of the content yet, but I've been doing a little research outside of the gaming world on Eberron and its mythos. It's new to me, you see. I knew of the D&D worlds prior to Eberron, but not this one they picked to place their MMO down in.

So, if you're familiar with Eberron, where would you like to go next?

I'm thinking the city of Sharn would be fantastic! I just started reading Keith Baker's City of Towers. I would love to run with five other players within Sharn.

Others?

Where would you like to go next...?

Thanks

Snip

MJNOR1
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Is there a DDO II in our future? That would be cool!

Dawnblade
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
It most likely will never happen, but I would like to see the older worlds added to this game possibly being connected by implementing the Planescape gameset. Players could use the portals in Sigil and beyond to travel to all (or the most popular) old AD&D worlds. I'm sure all the old timers like us would love to have a chance to hang out with out favourite heroes, be it Elminster or Raistlin.

There is so much material already out there that could be used in this game as far as lore. The devs would be able to skip that part and go straigh to working on quests and other things.

Of course that might require a bunch of people's permission to be implemented.

Sem34
06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
And if they do that and make a mistake on what Elminster and Raistlin were doing at the time (lore wise) would you get upset??? Would the boards then just turn into a flame war (players vs. Dev’s) and cause a mass exudes.

As for me, keep away from FR and Dragon Lance. They are so entrenched with lore geekdom that any type of tweaking to fit into a MMO would kill its self before it took off.

If the Dev’s decide to take this game to Khorvaire, I would like to see area’s like Breland, Mournland, Demon wastes.

Dawnblade
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Well Raistlin is gone as are most of the old time heroes. Dragonlance has been through so many world changing events that as long as they kept the past history accurate I think it would be ok. I'm not sure about FR since I've never really got into that.

As far as mass exudes, I don't think there is a mass playing this game at the moment. I feel that it would actually be a way to draw old time AD&D players into the game and allow them to give the game a chance to win them over. From there it would be up to the devs and the community to decide how it worked.

Stars Wars has a huge (to use your words) geekdom of followers as well and for the most part, people that played SWG played because they were by Star Wars fans. Every now and then you hear comments of people who were picky about princess Leia's eyeliner or whatever, but overall people were quite pleased....at least until the jedi invasion....I guess that could be used as an arguement against me :p. What I'm trying to say though is that it'll draw the fan into the game, just like SWG did an just like WoW did.

Pellegro
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
There are no bigger lore geeks than Tolkien followers, and Turbine seems to keep them pretty happy with LOTRO.

I seem to recall they have someone whose whole job on LOTRO is keeping the lore accurate ...

Spookykid
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
player made content, implimented as the plane of dreams
course you wouldnt be able to return with anything but it would be fun

Borror0
06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
So, if you're familiar with Eberron, where would you like to go next?

I'm thinking the city of Sharn would be fantastic! I just started reading Keith Baker's City of Towers. I would love to run with five other players within Sharn.

I'm not the most familiar with Eberron, but yeah, Sharn sounds totally awesome.

Shaamis
06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Of all the campaign settings I would like to see in DDOII, it would have to be.....

The developers own setting.

One they have 100% control over whats in it, how things go, cities, races, powers, everything.

That way, they can take the $$$ they have to pay the IP owner for liscenses, they can turn around and develop with.

The key is, they have to have a really good development brand name, to bring the players to try it, because, if it's an unknown setting, people will latch onto their comfy worlds they are familiar with.

Sem34
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Mtmouse3 ... now that sounds like an idea...

As for not using another setting, When DDO first started we had AD&D and red box members in Alpha and Beta that wanted things like how they remebered them... but DDO was being made in a 3.5 image not AD&D, which caused a few (well more then a few) "Geekdom" (wonder if there is a King of the Geeks around) fans leave even before head start.

LOTR- yes they have a few people that all they do is research and talk to the Tolken rep's to make sure they can do that... and you are correct... it had done wonders.

Sharn would be sweet to see...

GramercyRiff
06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
And if they do that and make a mistake on what Elminster and Raistlin were doing at the time (lore wise) would you get upset??? Would the boards then just turn into a flame war (players vs. Dev’s) and cause a mass exudes.

As for me, keep away from FR and Dragon Lance. They are so entrenched with lore geekdom that any type of tweaking to fit into a MMO would kill its self before it took off.

If the Dev’s decide to take this game to Khorvaire, I would like to see area’s like Breland, Mournland, Demon wastes.

They blowed up Forgotten Realms, so it's ripe for new lore to be created. FR is now so far removed from Ed Greenwood's creation, it's an entirely new world. To some this is very bad, to others a new beginning.

Uska
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM
They blowed up Forgotten Realms, so it's ripe for new lore to be created. FR is now so far removed from Ed Greenwood's creation, it's an entirely new world. To some this is very bad, to others a new beginning.

They havent gone far enough with the changes to the better they be forgotten realms to make them a good choice in my mind.

That hack dritizle is still alive

Impaqt
06-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Of all the campaign settings I would like to see in DDOII, it would have to be.....

The developers own setting.

One they have 100% control over whats in it, how things go, cities, races, powers, everything.

That way, they can take the $$$ they have to pay the IP owner for liscenses, they can turn around and develop with.

The key is, they have to have a really good development brand name, to bring the players to try it, because, if it's an unknown setting, people will latch onto their comfy worlds they are familiar with.

THey have that.. Its called EQ/EQ2 and WoW.

To get the DD in DDO takes licenseing from WotC. WotC arent going to license out open Archetecture.

salmag
06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Not DDOII but perhaps an expansion set in Khorvaire. Sharn would be nice. Maybe some of the other continents as well; isn't Argonesson the land of dragons? The world of Eberron is pretty big itself. Let the devs take advantage of that and send us to other parts of it.

Unfortunately with NO WDA, we will never know what is in store for the game. This includes timely bug fixes, as well...

Impaqt
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Not DDOII but perhaps an expansion set in Khorvaire. Sharn would be nice. Maybe some of the other continents as well; isn't Argonesson the land of dragons? The world of Eberron is pretty big itself. Let the devs take advantage of that and send us to other parts of it.

Unfortunately with NO WDA, we will never know what is in store for the game. This includes timely bug fixes, as well...

We didnt have Timely Bug fixes when there was a WDA...

JakLee7
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
my only experience with Ebberon is DDO, of all the pnp worlds to pick I would never have guessed this one; and honestly I find it a bit stale & boring (world not game). The mythos, the lore, the legends just never really grabbed me much. I have actually considered what world would make a good #2 (or expansion) and I really like the idea of Spelljammer connecting a few different worlds - but I think the most fun world to play would have to be DARK SUN.

The difficulty would be crazy, it would be an even tougher numbers game but you numbers would go lots higher; the story for the world is just, well dark. Yeah I think that would be a blast.

Uska
06-25-2008, 08:06 PM
my only experience with Ebberon is DDO, of all the pnp worlds to pick I would never have guessed this one; and honestly I find it a bit stale & boring (world not game). The mythos, the lore, the legends just never really grabbed me much. I have actually considered what world would make a good #2 (or expansion) and I really like the idea of Spelljammer connecting a few different worlds - but I think the most fun world to play would have to be DARK SUN.

The difficulty would be crazy, it would be an even tougher numbers game but you numbers would go lots higher; the story for the world is just, well dark. Yeah I think that would be a blast.

I dont think spelljammer or darksun would be a good idea those worlds had much lower player numbers then others and I myself wouldnt play a spelljammer game anymore then I would a forgtten realms, darksun yeah I would play as well as greyhawk or dragonlance if dragonlance was set in the age of mortals

Euthorcize
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
There is only ONE DnD campaign setting ;).

Forgotten realms!

Waterdeep is the ideal place for a sequel. Sigil would be cool too.

Darksun would be an absolutley incredible setting for an MMO.

Uska
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
There is only ONE DnD campaign setting ;).

Forgotten realms!

Waterdeep is the ideal place for a sequel. Sigil would be cool too.

Ugh borring and worthless its the better they were Forgotten realms seriously some of us hate that place and always will. I love Eberron but the mother of them all would be a good choice Greyhawk

Euthorcize
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I hate Ebberon and always will, so we'll call it even :).

Borror0
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM

Why?

Gathor_Stormforge
06-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Greyhawk.

Yori_Firebeard
06-26-2008, 06:37 AM
This is probably hoping against hope but you never know maybe there is a new world on the horizon from WotC that we don't know about as of yet and could possibly be the reason the dev's are being so secretive about everything now days. I highly doubt it myself but you never know WotC seems to like working with turbine and with new online options for pnp there are some interesting options they might have to intermingle the two entities.

Allice
06-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I say dragonlance just so i can be a kender ..... Tas is sooo cute =P

Tin_Dragon
06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Mournlands, Demon Wastes, or wait, why not Sarlona and implement PSIONICS!!

Borror0
06-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Why not Sarlona and implement PSIONICS!!

There is a long list of reason to not implement psionics...

Uska
06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

why do you hate Eberron I hate the realms because of all super uber npc's running around saving the day all the time the world seems like a powergamers dream that players only visit. Plus all the hack fiction that has come out on it drizzit I mean really awful stuff.

Uska
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Greyhawk.

would have been a great choice as its the orignial world and the npcs arent sticking their noses so much as in FR

Shaamis
06-26-2008, 08:57 AM
This is probably hoping against hope but you never know maybe there is a new world on the horizon from WotC that we don't know about as of yet and could possibly be the reason the dev's are being so secretive about everything now days. I highly doubt it myself but you never know WotC seems to like working with turbine and with new online options for pnp there are some interesting options they might have to intermingle the two entities.

The Official Eberron Campaign was created as a result of a contest WotC put out a few years back, where it won first place.

I'm sure there were some great 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and lower placing campaign settings that they might dust off, and take a look at.

Dawnblade
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I say dragonlance just so i can be a kender ..... Tas is sooo cute =P

/signed

Dimicron
06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Dark Sun or Planescape would be my top two choices for a DDO2. Dark Sun was at least updated by fans for 3e and 3.5e.

I'm not as excited about a DDO2 now that 4e is out though since WotC will probably require a DDO2 to be 4e based. I don't like some of the changes they made in 4e.

Admittedly I said the same thing about 3e and it grew on me, but 4e is just... odd.

Euthorcize
06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Why?

Ebberon was WOTCs first attempt at a new "exciting high magic/high combat" setting which comes off as some half assed attempt at being futuristic. For a time, WOTC also refused to liscence any DnD liscences to anything BUT ebberon, resulting in some crappy games which would of been better in almost any other FR setting. It is shallow. Warforge are the WOTC saying "Lets add robots, that'll get us a new crowd!"

why do you hate Eberron I hate the realms because of all super uber npc's running around saving the day all the time the world seems like a powergamers dream that players only visit. Plus all the hack fiction that has come out on it drizzit I mean really awful stuff.

Have you read any of the FR books? The super NPCs virtually never save the day., the only reason Eberron has no super NPCs is because it is not very well developed. It has the depth of a puddle. Complaints about FR always seem to boil down to "Drizzit is teh sux0r!", it has lots of cool history and cool stories. Accusing FR of having super NPCs is laughable, Ebberon is too high magic, magic solves every problem as a deus ex machina. WOTC decided "Hey, all our other settings have cool gods, which are cool NPCs, each with their own elaborate stories, they are gods but each also have vast mythologies around which PCs can make cool stories too, for clerics or paladins or druids or monks or rangers, or anyone else who wants to! Why don't we remove this cool thing we have in most of our campaign settings and instead impliment gods as vague "concepts"-and hey, role playing a cleric or paladin devoted to ONE deity is too hard, so lets make clerics and paladins of vague concepts of good or evil and not devoted to any one deity!"

Ebberrons stories are not interesting and WOTC dumbed down the setting from every other DnD setting.

Shaamis
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM
WOTC dumbed down the setting from every other DnD setting.

Not only the settings they dumbed down, but the whole GAME.

it's a sign of the times I tells ya <snaps suspenders> all of you whippersnappers don't know what a REAL AD&D system is like!

Nothin beats consulting endless tables with die rolls to find out not only you sliced off your arm, but HOW you sliced it off!

Thems the days.....

Borror0
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Warforge are the WOTC saying "Lets add robots, that'll get us a new crowd!"

Right, because I have never seen constucts in my D&D before. First time I see an Iron or Clay Golem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm) too.:rolleyes:

Dawnblade
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM

it's a sign of the times I tells ya <snaps suspenders> all of you whippersnappers don't know what a REAL AD&D system is like!

Nothin beats consulting endless tables with die rolls to find out not only you sliced off your arm, but HOW you sliced it off!

Thems the days.....

QFT!

EazyWeazy
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I loved FR and Dragon Lance. Always will. I was reading those books and playing the games at an age that a definite impression was made.

I'd have preferred DDO be set in either of these campaigns just because of that but oh well. :rolleyes:

Euthorcize
06-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Thems the days.....

I agree. 4E sucks.

Pyromaniac
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Greyhawk!

or Forgotten Realms as a second choice, though I did play Dark Sun Online way back in the day too :)

Kalari
06-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Id play DDO II if they used the FR or Greyhawk setting I just really wouldnt read the forums for it at all period. The reasons why even though I read another poster say that the LOTR loremasters are worst id have to disagree. Youd be suprized how passionate some players are when it comes to settings, npcs and characters from the FR world. Scarily so, so yeah if they did it Id play but id avoid reading peoples opinion on the game.

Do I like Ebberon? It hasnt been bad (of course as a hard core caster player in pnp it suits my gaming style) But it was also a change of pace. Even though I still feel the drow look abit weird I like being able to play them in a setting where they arent all spider worshiping evil beings or have to be a certain ranger with a heart of gold (kinda Dritzz out sorry). I like seeing WF and working amongst a new setting and seeing what ive learned from pnp tried to be converted to this world.

Either way if DDO II comes out and I have time for it i'll play no matter what setting they use but I cant see how they can impliment it and not make alot of fans unhappy, because there is no proper way to accurately convert PNP into MMO and alot of people just dont see that.

salmag
06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
We didnt have Timely Bug fixes when there was a WDA...

True. But maybe some sort of notification of them... maybe. :(

salmag
06-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Where in the Forgotten Realms would you place the story - Waterdeep, Calimshan, Shadowdale, Cormyr, etc.? I don't think you would be able to do justice to the Forgotten Realms Setting. Greyhawk would be better, but I still stand by my original thought. Let's continue to explore Eberron some more.

and please, please, please, stay away from 4th edition.

Lundivar
06-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Hmm, good topic. In an MMO setting, I'd pick Dark Sun hands down. I think it would be a great fit, and different enough.

My personal favorite, and setting I usually DM'd myself was still Ravenloft, as an MMO, I'm not sure there would be enough variety, but having your own domain island at epic levels sounds good! (Ie: player created adventures on YOUR island, large scale invasions between island/guilds...etc... at high levels).

Lots of stuff to work with, getting it wrong is actually harder than getting it right in my opinion with the amount of material already out there...

Roberto
06-29-2008, 12:23 PM
...or one heck of a gi-normous expansion!

Sitting here wondering where I'd like to do my MMO adventuring in this Ebberon setting beyond Stormreach.
---
Where would you like to go next...?

I think the Mournlands would be perfect for an adventure setting. The graphics might be a little harsh on some computer setups, but the potential is there for a lot of great adventures.

byntax
06-30-2008, 02:42 PM
i don't care about the lore for forgotten realm ok its fun and there a lot of character but me I would just love to have a world of warcraft type DDO forgotten realm with instance but also with boring optional quest like wow make you run over and over don't forget OPTIONAL

they could start with let say the sword coast then put out payd update to get other part of the world like the great north or sambia

it would rock and raid quest could be given by key character in the forgotten realm say elmister give you a raid quest to kill a dracolich or stuff like that the game could be as big as wow but a lot more fun than wow with all the instance and the awsome combat system

just my 2 cents

byntax

byntax
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree. 4E sucks.

I feel they dum it down to lets say a card game like pokemon or yu-gi-oh or magic the gathering
and such they took more that 3/4 of the spell out, that was the beauty od D&D.

Now everyone can make super moove... I realy find that dum, and the only thing I was looking for on the 4th was the virtual tabletop but it as not been release and now we don't know when or if it will be release.

well I am gone a stick to my 3.5 book for a long long time

Raiderone
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't care. Just give me a expansion with a new City, new races and classes.

Just keep the MOD's coming...:eek: