PDA

View Full Version : Prove Your Worth = Awesome! (a love letter)

geoffhanna
06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
What an amazingly well-crafted quest!

You couldn't do a lot of these, the format of a continuing series of tests does not lend itself to constant repetition.... but wow you sure got this one right.

Enough of a twitch test to require many attempts (for me), but not impossible, I got through and I am the opposite of a twitch player.
An obvious need to think the whole time. Brute force clearly not gonna get it done.
A really creative puzzle. Way to reuse existing elements in new ways!
And a fun finish: Yaaaaargh!

It was easy enough that four completely unknowing players could do it first time in one session (< 2 hours?), but difficult enough that we really felt good about ourselves when it was over.

Very very nice. My compliments to the dev.

jarlaxle_dourden
06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
How much XP does that quest give?

Just curious ...

geoffhanna
06-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Ummm I got like 1390? On Normal? At 4th level though there was a 5th with us too.

It could definitely be done by 3rd levels on Normal.

tihocan
06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I like it as well.
I know some people don't, because they somehow can't make it past the ladders :p

I wish the XP was higher though. I think the base is < 1000.

Hendrik
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Ug, those ladders!

Frustrating, yes. Fun, very!

My favorite part of this Quest is the Dart/Lever puzzle room. Great concept and I really enjoyed figuring this one out!

Kudos DEVs!

:cool:

Lithic
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I love the responses in the "walk the plank" room if you get enough bluff :D

DagazUlf
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Great Quest!

Gennerik
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I've been very impressed with all three of the new quests in Three-Barrel Cove that I've tried (Legend of Two-Toed Tobias, Prove Your Worth, and Goldhorn's Repository). Though I don't like the ladder part, as I seem to be unable to jump off a ladder without plummetting down to the bottom. You take a lot of damage from that fall.

ahpook
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I had but one complaint for this quest. They should use the "reaver technology" and suppress feather fall items in this quest. Feather fall invalidates any skill on the ladder challenge especially going down.

tihocan
06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I had but one complaint for this quest. They should use the "reaver technology" and suppress feather fall items in this quest. Feather fall invalidates any skill on the ladder challenge especially going down.
They had to find a use for that STK ring ;)

branmakmuffin
06-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Everyone has a right to enjoy what they enjoy. I thought this quest was just a video game, and tested players' skill at controlling their avatars more than anything else.

For me, it's the new Stealthy Repo.

DoctorWhofan
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
If there was no featherfall, I would not do the quest. My husband has to sit at my desk and run my toon up the ladder every time. I was there for 40 minutes trying to do it, got mad and shut the game off.

miceelf88
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Which one is that? Tell me I didn't miss a new TBC quest!!!

Citymorg
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I like it as well.
I know some people don't, because they somehow can't make it past the ladders :p

I wish the XP was higher though. I think the base is < 1000.

I think that any level 3 quest that has more than 1000xp base is going to get farmed, and there needs to be a very good reason to up XP like that (since it would be disproportionaly to other level 3 quests). Is it longer, harder, or otherwise deserving of more XP than something like Redfang or Shan-To-Kor? Level 3 only goes from 10,000-20,000xp if you get 2k or 5k or 10k from one quest, well....That doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

geoffhanna
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Everyone has a right to enjoy what they enjoy. I thought this quest was just a video game, and tested players' skill at controlling their avatars more than anything else.

For me, it's the new Stealthy Repo.

You did not get past the ladders then. That is the only twitch part of the quest, the rest is all brains.

p.s. secret clue to the ladders follows in dark text ( mouselook mode )
p.p.s. easy button for the ladders follows in dark text ( featherfall )

VonBek
06-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm enjoying the heck out of Rakham's (and Two-Toed).

I worry a bit the twitch skills on the ladders will put some folks off. My buddy had to recall to keep his calm.
The puzzle room just about had me snap my keyboard in half. I just don't "see" the connection between the levers, and the pipes that others describe.

But I'm still in there....

ahpook
06-25-2008, 03:38 PM
For those who recall at the ladders, you should be aware that you only need one person to make it up and solve the puzzle room. After that a gate opens to connect to an earlier area allowing the party to join back up.

So don't recall just hang out and join in for the final half.

VonBek
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM

:eek::eek:! Well, I know you just made my friend's day. Big Thanks :)

DoctorWhofan
06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
For those who recall at the ladders, you should be aware that you only need one person to make it up and solve the puzzle room. After that a gate opens to connect to an earlier area allowing the party to join back up.

I know, but the point is of doing it. I could not. While I enjoyed the rest of the quest, the ladders were enough to dislike the quest with a passion.

Django
06-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Glad people are enjoying the quest. Also appreciate hearing feedback from those folks who may not like certain parts.

On the ladder jumping feel free to bring a friend who's good at it and wait at the gate and have them open it for you (yeah waiting can be boring, maybe break some of those boxes while you're sitting around). Jumping can be rough but it supports players who enjoy personal challenges while not disallowing players who'd rather not navigate a jumping obstacle course (well unless you're soloing it then you have to do the jumps).

Angelus_dead
06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
On the ladder jumping feel free to bring a friend who's good at it and wait at the gate and have them open it for you (yeah waiting can be boring, maybe break some of those boxes while you're sitting around).
Correction: wait at the gate for them to open it and kill you with a giant flamethrower.

moorewr
06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Glad people are enjoying the quest. Also appreciate hearing feedback from those folks who may not like certain parts.

On the ladder jumping feel free to bring a friend who's good at it and wait at the gate and have them open it for you (yeah waiting can be boring, maybe break some of those boxes while you're sitting around). Jumping can be rough but it supports players who enjoy personal challenges while not disallowing players who'd rather not navigate a jumping obstacle course (well unless you're soloing it then you have to do the jumps).

I really like the quest, but it doesn't like me -- Old Ironsides frequently bugs for me.. he spawns on the wrong side of the wall. Other than that it is great fun - someone called a Crucible for 5th level characters.

Django
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I really like the quest, but it doesn't like me -- Old Ironsides frequently bugs for me.. he spawns on the wrong side of the wall. Other than that it is great fun - someone called a Crucible for 5th level characters.

Quite the compliment, I really love the crucible.

I'll look into the Iron Defender issue, thanks.

Django
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Correction: wait at the gate for them to open it and kill you with a giant flamethrower.

Awe, don't ruin it for everyone, give them a chance to find the flame thrower before the easy way around it ;)

Note certain indications of danger are visible throughout the quest, you just need to look for them, even if you don't have spot.

GeneralDiomedes
06-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Awe, don't ruin it for everyone, give them a chance to find the flame thrower before the easy way around it ;)

Note certain indications of danger are visible throughout the quest, you just need to look for them, even if you don't have spot.

skull n bones painted in blood .. what could possibly go wrong?

Kisaragi
06-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Highlight text for a tip.

I told a guildy this but if you're having trouble with the ladder part;

Hit T to go into mouse look.
Climb the ladder.
Turn your camera to face the ladder you want to climb.
Jump and you should hit that ladder.

Otherwise, this test can be a bit tricky.

parvo
06-26-2008, 12:05 AM
What an amazingly well-crafted quest!

You couldn't do a lot of these, the format of a continuing series of tests does not lend itself to constant repetition.... but wow you sure got this one right.

Enough of a twitch test to require many attempts (for me), but not impossible, I got through and I am the opposite of a twitch player.
An obvious need to think the whole time. Brute force clearly not gonna get it done.
A really creative puzzle. Way to reuse existing elements in new ways!
And a fun finish: Yaaaaargh!It was easy enough that four completely unknowing players could do it first time in one session (< 2 hours?), but difficult enough that we really felt good about ourselves when it was over.

Very very nice. My compliments to the dev.

I'm so on board. All of the new Three Barrel quests are outstanding. I just completed Proove your worth for the first time. No one in our four-person permadeath group had ever seen it. We lost one. Three of us survived. As a Rogue, I thought it best if I try the ladders. Fell down once and was incapped at -5 :O Someone healed me and I broke out my 3-pack of Feather fall scrolls (UMD with 45% chance). Nothing beats the feeling of permadeath is a situation like that. One missed ladder and I have a 55% chance of being a pancake. Well, I missed one, but was lucky enough to grab a ladder below it. I even had enough bluff on me to Yaaaaarg my way through most of the end! And since I was playing my Rogue, the dogs were well fed ;)

Awesome fun. Great quest.

tenga
06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I think that any level 3 quest that has more than 1000xp base is going to get farmed, and there needs to be a very good reason to up XP like that (since it would be disproportionaly to other level 3 quests). Is it longer, harder, or otherwise deserving of more XP than something like Redfang or Shan-To-Kor? Level 3 only goes from 10,000-20,000xp if you get 2k or 5k or 10k from one quest, well....That doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

lvl 3 is 5k-20k

F'lar_Mnementh
06-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Which one is that? Tell me I didn't miss a new TBC quest!!!

Goldhorn's Repository is the location of the quest "Ghost of a Chance" which has the Grand-daddy of all floor-tile puzzles...'course most people are gonna bash the few more bad guys for the key. :rolleyes:

moorewr
06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Goldhorn's Repository is the location of the quest "Ghost of a Chance" which has the Grand-daddy of all floor-tile puzzles...'course most people are gonna bash the few more bad guys for the key. :rolleyes:

I was disappointed by that, but hopeful there are enough people crazy for one more chest that I'll be in puzzle-completion groups now and then.

MageLL
06-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Prove your worth was very cool. I did it solo, but I could see doing it in a party and being "That Guy" that couldn't make it up the ladders would be frustrating to you, and your party memebers.

Sue_Dark
06-26-2008, 08:43 AM
The ladders are very easy for those of us who like to twitch a little (or alot in some cases). Some dont like them at all, which I can see. There is no need to get frustrated over it tho. Give it a shot and if you are starting to get upset, move back to the gate and hang tight. Just dont hang to close to the gate :)

Lithic
06-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I was disappointed by that, but hopeful there are enough people crazy for one more chest that I'll be in puzzle-completion groups now and then.

If you really care about that chest, bring your lvl 10+ rogue in there and solo it a few times. The puzzle is easy once you take some time to learn it. When it came out I took my lvl 10 rogue in there and did it on solo/norm/hard/elite. By hard I had it memorized and could do it in less than 2 mins. Be aware though that for some reason, some of the traps can be spotted, but cant be searched out. Probably due to some line of sight issues as I think a 40ish search should be enough on normal.

Edit: as for the extra fight, it was rather exciting on elite when I was solo on a lvl 10, so I can see a party of lvl 5 characters skipping the boss and do the puzzle. Especially you permadeathers hehe.

moorewr
06-26-2008, 09:04 AM
If you really care about that chest, bring your lvl 10+ rogue in there and solo it a few times. The puzzle is easy once you take some time to learn it. When it came out I took my lvl 10 rogue in there and did it on solo/norm/hard/elite. By hard I had it memorized and could do it in less than 2 mins. Be aware though that for some reason, some of the traps can be spotted, but cant be searched out. Probably due to some line of sight issues as I think a 40ish search should be enough on normal.

Edit: as for the extra fight, it was rather exciting on elite when I was solo on a lvl 10, so I can see a party of lvl 5 characters skipping the boss and do the puzzle. Especially you permadeathers hehe.

Good advice. My clerogue should waltz through there. :)

JayDubya
06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that puzzle took me 45 minutes to solve the first time. It was outstanding! I wrote down the steps, so it will be faster next time, but still, definitely a great find for puzzlers.

Also, I notice that the sea captains on the Black Loch are talking about a pirate council, and black sails on the horizon (or somesuch). I'm hoping there's going to be an event associated with this - the Black Loch area is a fabulous one for combat. So many levels and twists and turns.

moorewr
06-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I do want one of two changes to the Black Loch though:

a) let me swim in and out of that big water entrance to the loch

-or-

b) put a barrier of some kind (a sea gate? a Golden Chain?) across the entrance to explain why I can't swim in and out..

Pyromaniac
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Definitely was a cool quest, and its nice to have some of these. Unfortunately the replayability factor is minimal, so we don't want too many of these :)