PDA

View Full Version : Fansite News!

Tolero
06-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Have you always wanted to keep up to date on when your favorite DDO fansite has announcements or changes?
Are you looking for an easier way to let your listeners know about that latest DDO podcast episode?
Do you long for the day when users don't have to comb through the general forums to find the newest update of your DDO web comic?

We're happy to introduce the latest community tool for the DDO Forums: Fansite News!

Are you a DDO fan?

Fansite News, available on the front page of the forums beneath the calendar feature, enables you to follow along with your favorite DDO fansites when they post news, updates, and announcements. Need more details? Simply click the thread titles, or visit the Fansite News Forum, to read more details about fansite updates!

Never visited a DDO fansite before? Get started today! Click here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing) to see the current list of DDO fansites.

Are you a DDO fansite owner?

Get exclusive access to our Fansite News forum to let your visitors know about updates, new episodes, changes, and more! Threads you create in the Fansite News forum appear in our Fansite News section on the forum front page, in chronological order, for the viewing pleasure of your fans, listeners, and readers!

Don't see your fansite listed in our official DDO Fansite page (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing)? Now is your chance to get added! Click here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_Listings) to find out more about how you can get your fansite listed.

We'd also like to introduce the newest members of our DDO fansite list: DDOWiki and DDO Reports! Read more about them in the official Fansite List by clicking here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing)!

Dailus
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
What am I going to do at work all day if I don't have to comb through the forums!?!? *Gasp* I might have to start doing my job!

-Dailus

MrCow
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
What am I going to do at work all day if I don't have to comb through the forums!?!?

Make a fan site? :D

Borror0
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
What am I going to do at work all day if I don't have to comb through the forums!?!? *Gasp* I might have to start doing my job!

-Dailus

Edit the wiki?:D

Dailus
06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
You guys just want me to be productive don't ya?

Borror0
06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
You guys just want me to be productive don't ya?

Nah, we want you to be productive instead of us.

MrCow
06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Nah, we want you to be productive instead of us.

Well, you didn't have to be that blunt about our intentions...

Borror0
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, you didn't have to be that blunt about our intentions...

I was quite nice, usually I get Uma to pull the whip out.

http://i19.tinypic.com/4koo28n.jpg

PS: How many times can I still post that picture until it gets not funny anymore?

Cuchilo
06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow! That's SO much better than a WDA!!!!! :rolleyes:

Memnir
06-25-2008, 01:42 AM
With all due respect to the fansites & the hard work people put into them... I really don't want to come here for that kind of news. I want this site to regain it's relevance - not tout the relevance of other sites. It's like calling Dominos - and having them tell me about all the really great deals Pizza Hut is offering this week. :rolleyes:

thatguy
06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Have you always wanted to keep up to date on when your favorite DDO fansite has announcements or changes?
Are you looking for an easier way to let your listeners know about that latest DDO podcast episode?
Do you long for the day when users don't have to comb through the general forums to find the newest update of your DDO web comic?

We're happy to introduce the latest community tool for the DDO Forums: Fansite News!

Are you a DDO fan?

Fansite News, available on the front page of the forums beneath the calendar feature, enables you to follow along with your favorite DDO fansites when they post news, updates, and announcements. Need more details? Simply click the thread titles, or visit the Fansite News Forum, to read more details about fansite updates!

Never visited a DDO fansite before? Get started today! Click here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing) to see the current list of DDO fansites.

Are you a DDO fansite owner?

Get exclusive access to our Fansite News forum to let your visitors know about updates, new episodes, changes, and more! Threads you create in the Fansite News forum appear in our Fansite News section on the forum front page, in chronological order, for the viewing pleasure of your fans, listeners, and readers!

Don't see your fansite listed in our official DDO Fansite page (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing)? Now is your chance to get added! Click here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_Listings) to find out more about how you can get your fansite listed.

We'd also like to introduce the newest members of our DDO fansite list: DDOWiki and DDO Reports! Read more about them in the official Fansite List by clicking here (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Fansite_listing)!

How funny is this, Turbine will post info about keeping us up to date on a DDO comic strip from a third party but Turbine won't give up to date info on DDO themselves. *Shakes head*. WOW.

Mockduck
06-25-2008, 04:32 PM
One thing I'm curious about as someone who is interested in using the fansite news section (obviously! :)): Can anyone post replies to the things I post in there? I like the interaction when I post up news about the latest DDOcast episodes in the General chat area. I seem to be able to reply, but then again I'm obviously approved to post topics in that section. Can anyone reply once I've posted up a topic?

Borror0
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
One thing I'm curious about as someone who is interested in using the fansite news section (obviously! :)): Can anyone post replies to the things I post in there? I like the interaction when I post up news about the latest DDOcast episodes in the General chat area. I seem to be able to reply, but then again I'm obviously approved to post topics in that section. Can anyone reply once I've posted up a topic?

I know that I can't... and I've got permision to create threads so... >.<

Tolero
06-26-2008, 09:15 AM

I'm still looking into the feasibility of this. Traditionally, the fansite news forum was intended for 'alerts', but I'll see what I can do about allowing other users to at least reply to the alerts. Ultimately I don't want you fansites thinking that this was some sort of ultimatum that you could only post your updates there and nowhere else. You're still welcome to keep a "feedback" post somewhere to link to if you'd like people to be able to leave you comments here on the forums. The "no-cross posting" forum guideline specifies that it's allowed with permission, so fansites, consider this your permission if you'd like to keep a spot for feedback besides the fansite news section ^^

If it makes you feel better, I go through something similar when we post articles to ddo.com, as you can't leave comments there about the article. So I create a thread for the article here in the forums so if people have comments they can leave them. But some people just want to read the article, so either way it works.

Borror0
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I would dislike to just SPAM for the update of "In development", do you think it'd be possible to have a flag thingy like you guys got for the Dev Tracker... where you can flag (or not) a post in a thread? Nope, eh?

Tolero
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I've finagled a few setting, so we'll see how it works now. Fansites can create threads, but both fansites and users can reply to those threads with comments. Display order, irregardless of replies to the thread, will still be by date of thread creation. As for the "spam" aspect... the intent is for you fansites to use it as often as you like, there's no "quota" on your news. If things get too "spammy" we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ^^

Borror0
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
As for the "spam" aspect... the intent is for you fansites to use it as often as you like, there's no "quota" on your news. If things get too "spammy" we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ^^

Since the reply does not move up the thread, it doesn't show that I updated it. And trust me, if I create a thread each time we update... it'll get too spammy. :p

By the way, since I have your attention, you you add Dragon.Star (http://forums.ddo.com/member.php?u=30837) and yk49 (http://forums.ddo.com/member.php?u=26032) to the list who can post? They help me quite a lot with the wiki.

Mockduck
06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I've finagled a few setting, so we'll see how it works now. Fansites can create threads, but both fansites and users can reply to those threads with comments. Display order, irregardless of replies to the thread, will still be by date of thread creation. As for the "spam" aspect... the intent is for you fansites to use it as often as you like, there's no "quota" on your news. If things get too "spammy" we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ^^

I like it! This seems to be the best of all options. We can post, our posts don't create "competition" so to speak to get bumped up on the list and people can reply to stuff! Nice work.

Borror0
06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I like it! This seems to be the best of all options. We can post, our posts don't create "competition" so to speak to get bumped up on the list and people can reply to stuff! Nice work.

The problem comes if one of us updates much more often than the others.

Mockduck
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
The problem comes if one of us updates much more often than the others.

Well, I'll be updating at least once a week. Personally, I don't see it as a "problem". Really doesn't matter to me if you get publicity! I think it's good for everyone to have this and don't really think there's much competition between us, to be honest.

Borror0
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Don't really think there's much competition between us, to be honest.

I hope not, I see anyone as a partner, rather than a competitor. If someone does something awesome and I can take benefit of it, I'm even happier.

...for as long as no one is dumb enoguh to make their own wiki... -_-

totmacher
06-26-2008, 04:30 PM
cage match, boston rules: 3 djiinis, whoever picks the most hams up after they're done spawning wins

p.s. don't tell kargon

Ustice
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Personally, I plan on using it only for major updates, since I don't like the idea of completely duplicating data, and I will at times be posting several tidbits in one day.

What would be REALLY useful is RSS integration. If we could register a feed, and then when I make a post on ddoreports, it is automatically updated here. Also, it would catch my tweet digests, so that they would only go on there once a day at most. Programming feed readers are pretty easy, so it should be possible for the web team and it would really help us content guys. I know that I am putting in several hours a day, all told, and I know that the other guys are putting in at least that. Any way automation that we can get will only increase our use of the tool.

That or maybe I can figure out a way to do it on MY end... :)

Okay, so after examining the code on the forum page, I would have to load the forum page, scrape out the posthash, emulate the form, submit the form including the scraped posthash. This is on top of getting the data from the wordpress database as well. Since there is MAYBE two people that would use this, I think that it is not really worth doing.

It still would be worth doing on the other end, as it would be a significantly simplified process: create cron job to check rss feeds, load feed and parse it (using pre-made xml parsing functions), check for new new items based on a database stored value for the last update, pull the posts from the parsed feeds, enter that data in for forum as a post.

For simplicity, you could just remove all formatting, and replace links with the forum markup versions. If you wanted to add the formatting in, converting it fro html, but given the use a of spans, I don't think that it would be worth the effort. Just go with the links and images. If we HAVE to have formatting, we can do it manually.

Ustice
06-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Upon further examination, maybe this isn't so hard after all, since curl will do most of the work.

jmonty
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
i have a better idea.. why don't you just tell us what's going on?