PDA

View Full Version : Loot Option: CASH VALUE!

villainsimple
06-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I would like to see a "Cash Option" added to the game options menu.

The Cash option would remove items that aren't of your class/race type in terms of armor and weaponry and replace them with gold and gems of an appropriate and equal value.

For example:

If normally a wizard would get

Full Plate Armor +1
Quarterstaff +2
Cleric Spell Components
Gold
Gems

Instead it'd be

Quartertsaff +2
More Gold
Gems

Lithic
06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
cash option for end reward would make sense and be nice, but for random chests? I cant agree to that. The cash could be like 40-50% of base value of the other items. Full base value would be too much.

SteeleTrueheart
06-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Can we make the game any easier?

Also would not work for multiclasses. Would not work because that WoP Rapier is great for any class not just melee types.
Different vendors charge different sale prices. I like the fact that my new monk can go to marketplace/house D and pick up a +1/+2 weapon that someone who didn't need it sold there.

I only want to see one change to the loot mechanics. A "Loot All" button please.

Indel_Eventine
06-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I think it could be an option, perhaps, but sometimes, the items presented might be good. How would you like your +2 W/P Rapier zapped to gold simply because you are on your mage....

Scipio
06-23-2008, 12:24 AM
it would not be a bad option for those inclined.... though like others I d keep it turned off... I figure I ll get more stuff for the AH that way! :)

Dariuss
06-23-2008, 02:09 AM
So that +5 Mithril FP my sorc would have pulled is converted to a few hundred plat?

I don't get the reasoning here... are you trying to eliminate having to sell stuff to the vendor?

Ereshkigal
06-23-2008, 03:13 AM
aye, and after they do that they should put in some AI so my character will play itself and I can just sit back and watch him go. Seriously.. I can't be arsed to push buttons and move mice... I'm paying for the game after all...

Mhykke
06-23-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm going to go ahead and save you and me some time and pretty much say:

I'll go ahead and disagree with every post you make.

fefnir3284
06-23-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm going to go ahead and save you and me some time and pretty much say:

I'll go ahead and disagree with every post you make.

ouch! a little snipy there, huh mhykke XD

GlassCannon
06-23-2008, 05:01 AM
I think he doesn't pull things for his class from chests.

Ever.

I had this problem with my Ranger, my Sorc, my Paladin, my Ba... hell, every d@mn character I ever made, including my Monk.

I do occasionally find something nice for one of said characters with a different one, i.e. my Sorc has a Bow Pull day :confused: :confused:... and pulls a couple AWESOME ranged weapons. Of course ye olde Rogue who does not get full benefit from them ever, and I do mean never, in party begs for them for a bit... and I mail em off. I pull really nice caster items with my Tank, I pull great Tank stuff with my DEX Ranger and Healing Bard, I pull nothing but heavy armor and worthless junk with my Cleric(My Bard funds everything she does)... my Barbarian and Tempest Ranger pull Mnemonics, my caster pulls strange combinations of Trip and Sunder weaponry, and Fullplate(SHE HAS 8 STR, WHAT THE HECK!!??!), and my Bard is the one finding all the Devotion and Potency items.

I was told "It's random, lol, get used to it!" and that PnP loot tables were just as screwy despite common sense kicking in and the caster spying the caster item in chest to grab, the tank snatching up the vorpal, the rogue darting in to ninjaloot all the gems and gold, and that shiny dagger at the bottom left corner...

villainsimple
06-23-2008, 05:38 AM
So you folks are against OTHER PEOPLE having the option to do this, it being a purely "opt in" thing?

You can't be serious.

You're AGAINST people having MORE options to suit the gameplay to their individual needs?

Look, you you and you may have an hour to spend in front of the auction house.

I don't. Most time I just vendor the ****... but I hate lugging it around with me to begin with, and shuffling through the assorted **** I don't want to keep the assorted **** I DO want.

So, rather than carting around 20 things of bull dung and three suits of chainmail +1 on my Sorc... I'd like to just save the trip 9and the encumbrance) and just have it converted to cash value on th spot.

Even if it's VENDOR cash value...I'm fine with that (i.e. the normal half price).

[nom nom nom]

Borror0
06-23-2008, 06:13 AM

The Cash option would remove items that aren't of your class/race type in terms of armor and weaponry and replace them with gold and gems of an appropriate and equal value.

So, you don't want to loot a +5 Fearsome Mithril Fullplate? Or an Holy, Silver weapon?

I can't see anyone using that option, besides, too much trouble to code for the gain. (if any)

boldarblood
06-23-2008, 06:13 AM
I don't. Most time I just vendor the ****... but I hate lugging it around with me to begin with, and shuffling through the assorted **** I don't want to keep the assorted **** I DO want.

So, rather than carting around 20 things of bull dung and three suits of chainmail +1 on my Sorc... I'd like to just save the trip 9and the encumbrance) and just have it converted to cash value on th spot.

Even if it's VENDOR cash value...I'm fine with that (i.e. the normal half price).

You can sell/repair in all inn's now, where a lot of people end up to recharge mana/health/clickys. It's not exactly an inconvenience. And the other question is why spend the dev time to create this option when it actually would benefit the isolated few.

You should try Dungeon Siege 2, has a spell that converts items to gold :P

That style of thinking is pathetic.

That kind of reply makes any point you would have had, lost.

Turial
06-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I think hes talking more of as an end reward type of thing rather then all chests...though I may be wrong. I could see using it on the end reward by not for normal chests.

I would be fine with it if the default was off so that you had to choose to use the option to convert stuff over.

Uska
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Hate it more dumbing down of the game

Missing_Minds
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
So you folks are against OTHER PEOPLE having the option to do this, it being a purely "opt in" thing?
You can't be serious.
You're AGAINST people having MORE options to suit the gameplay to their individual needs?

Lets see here... spend the time, effort, and money to implement something that would only be used by a bare handful of players...

or...

spend that time, effort, and money to implement bug fixes and new content.

YES, I'm against it. Deal. You have your opinion, we have ours.

Vizzini
06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd like it just for my characters with low strength, so if I'm running a big quest with lots of chests I don't get gimped out of items to sell because I can't carry 2 sets of fullplate and 4 or 5 shields which seem to have been increased in recent times...

For example:

If normally a wizard would get

Full Plate Armor +1
Quarterstaff +2
Cleric Spell Components
Gold
Gems

Instead it'd be

Quartertsaff +2
More Gold
Gems

Lorz
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
You know what makes this game fun..the Challenge...not the gee this was easy. Im sorry im for making the game tougher not easier.

I could see you complaining about never getting loot that is specific to your toon...but just because you don't wanna haul vendor trash to the vendor you think they should just make it easy and hand you the plat.....um... let me go ahead and say its that kinda crud that will destroy this game more than all the bean counters / devs could ever! If you don't want the bulls dung....don't pick it up...you are not required to take everything in a chest for you...heck you could even ....... (wait for it) ...... give it to someone in the party that needs it!!!! I know i know...where do i get the nutty ideas!!!! Im a visionary ya know!

And yes when you post up your great new idea for the game and it gets shot down by all the other posters/players take that as a clear indication that your plan may be flawed. Or you can go on the defensive and get ripped to shreds.

villainsimple
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Lets see here... spend the time, effort, and money to implement something that would only be used by a bare handful of players...

or...

spend that time, effort, and money to implement bug fixes and new content.

YES, I'm against it. Deal. You have your opinion, we have ours.

Fortunately for me you're wrong.

The basic premise of your assertion rests on the idea that people are clamoring for the junk that clogs up their backpacks. Once you reach a certain point the additional stuff is just a hassle.

Zenako
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
No, and for a number of reasons.

Wastes Dev time on a pointless exercise. It is not as simple as it seems. Robes are Armor but a Wiz likely wears them right, but some robes are worn by rangers and rogues, so I guess robes are not Wiz unique. Ok, Wands are Wiz items, or are they UMD triggered items, so that might not mean they are Wiz/Sorc only now does it? What about weapons, well anyone can take a Feat or even certain enhancements or races and use non traditional weapons, so perhaps we need to check that those Drow weapons are not excluded from the Bard or Sorc listing? What about multiclassed toons? The coding to really set up what you seem to want is either extremely simplistic or a whole pile of effort, and beyond that, what percentage of value would you get. The nomimal 10% of base value from the Barkeep? the 12.5% from the broker, or how will Haggle Skill boost this, should the game then figure out what sort of max haggle you have or could, with or without spell boosts, or item switching?

give me examples of any quests you run where you do not have a chance to sell off stuff like you need to on a regular basis even to barkeeps for the bare minumum. Characters do need to repair items on a regular basis too. If you are choosing to run around with only a small handful of open loot spots, that is choice you made. It is fairly easy to get to 100 loot spots, plus equipped gear, plus with bags for gems, collectibles and quivers now you have even more space.

Missing_Minds
06-23-2008, 03:06 PM

You are calling an opinion wrong. Brilliant. May I suggest Hello Kitty forums for your next chance to win at the internet?

chewwook
06-23-2008, 03:25 PM
What's the point of haggle if you can't sell vendor trash?

Lorz
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
What's the point of haggle if you can't sell vendor trash?

Obviously you have never had a cleric or you would not ask such a silly question.

The next time im restocking my clerics with my Hagglebot...maybe i can show you the difference usually 75,000pp or more is saved by my hagglebot.....the 100 gp you get for selling that shield with haggle doesnt really matter but when buying a few hundred scrolls....it matters.

Zenako
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Obviously you have never had a cleric or you would not ask such a silly question.

The next time im restocking my clerics with my Hagglebot...maybe i can show you the difference usually 75,000pp or more is saved by my hagglebot.....the 100 gp you get for selling that shield with haggle doesnt really matter but when buying a few hundred scrolls....it matters.

Me thinks it was more along the lines of pointing out how anyone who wants to earn a nice plat invests in some haggle on at least one character...

DoctorWhofan
06-23-2008, 04:38 PM
You can sell/repair in all inn's now, where a lot of people end up to recharge mana/health/clickys. It's not exactly an inconvenience. And the other question is why spend the dev time to create this option when it actually would benefit the isolated few.

You should try Dungeon Siege 2, has a spell that converts items to gold :P

That kind of reply makes any point you would have had, lost.

He needs a Bling Gnome and some Prozac

DoctorWhofan
06-23-2008, 04:41 PM

-snicker!-

ArkoHighStar
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM

You can't be serious.

Look, you you and you may have an hour to spend in front of the auction house.

[nom nom nom]

go play this game
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/35880

I don't want turbine wasting its small dev resources on something that is so against DnD, as some other have pointed out cash as end reward option might be ok but still pointless

Allice
06-24-2008, 12:32 AM

The basic premise of your assertion rests on the idea that people are clamoring for the junk that clogs up their backpacks. Once you reach a certain point the additional stuff is just a hassle.

First if you want this from chests then no becaues the point of a chest is you dont know what your going to pull. If you dont have enough room or strenght then tough ( yes this has happened to me alot and i have to be more careful since im playing a monk but i deal) As for end rewards i dont see a problem with it but still the dev time for something you can just pick up and run to a vendor to sell seems pointless. Also many players have a high Cha or Haggle and would get more then what most people would sell the items for and they would be gimped out by this. I wouldnt complain if they put it in as an option for end rewards, but for chests thats a big no way for me.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-24-2008, 05:43 AM

...snip

...snip

[nom nom nom]

Ok, this is a bad idea because no one but you would use it. It's downright stupid to get just cash back. You really don't want that +5 vorpal or the +5 fearsome mbp on your sorc? People would be insane to turn that option on.

Also limitting space and weight is part of the choice you make when setting up a char. When you build an 8 str sorc there is supposed to be a cost to you in that, and that might include leaving some loot behind. The same is true if you fully stock your backback before you leave for your adventures.

The current system makes sense, your idea adds almost nothing to the game and removes one of the built in balance factors in the game. Sorry, it shouldn't happen.

villainsimple
06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Ok, this is a bad idea because no one but you would use it. It's downright stupid to get just cash back. You really don't want that +5 vorpal or the +5 fearsome mbp on your sorc? People would be insane to turn that option on.

Also limitting space and weight is part of the choice you make when setting up a char. When you build an 8 str sorc there is supposed to be a cost to you in that, and that might include leaving some loot behind. The same is true if you fully stock your backback before you leave for your adventures.

The current system makes sense, your idea adds almost nothing to the game and removes one of the built in balance factors in the game. Sorry, it shouldn't happen.

By extension then, the Devs were incredibly stupid in allowing us to limit our class rewards to only our own class... I mean why would a Sorc want to reduce their chance to get that +5 Mith Full Plate?

Right.

Borror0
06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
By extension then, the Devs were incredibly stupid in allowing us to limit our class rewards to only our own class... I mean why would a Sorc want to reduce their chance to get that +5 Mith Full Plate?

Actually, they gave us the reason to unrestrict it so a sorc would have a greater chance at Vorpals and Mithril FP.

I'm sure the new monks enjoy the fact they can set their reward to class restricted.

Razvan
06-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Velah - after each quest you have to go talk to the guy in the tavern...the barkeep is, what, 20...30 feet away?...you can sell there

DQ - after you obtain the objects you have to turn them in to the Genie...the closest vendor is, what, 10-15 seconds away?....you can sell there

Stop being lazy and asking for "EASY" buttons...it takes time to program such things, but the thing you don't understand is, that EVERYTHING that gets added or modified interacts with a few or more OTHER things....that is why we get unforseen bugs everytime they add something new or modify some content....

So, no...let's not ask for stupid things that take away time from developing things we can ALL use...not just 2 people!

Zenako
06-24-2008, 09:56 AM
OK, exactly how simple would it be to code it as the OP asked. IF he asked for everything to be converted to gold at base barkeep values, then that would be simple, but that is NOT what he asked for. He wanted to have all the stuff he could not USE converted to gold automatically by the game. What almost every single poster in this thread has said, is such a distinction is by far from a trivial coding exercise, and that the majority of players would simple NOT use this option anyway, since it is one of the best ways to get items for other characters either that you play or that are in the quest with you. That the non-trivial effort to develop that coding would be a very poor use of time for the developers. I also failed to see any reply where it was indicated that it took much of any extra time to sell off items while you were recharging clickies, restoring spell points, repairing items, and then just hit the barkeep/general vendor and sell all. If you really think those extra 15 seconds are that important, I am not sure what I can tell you.

Asking for an option to be developed, that will not cause more grief than help, that serves the desires of a very small group of players has almost every time been rejected as being a poor choice to spend time working on for the game designers. It is especially true in this case since it is fixing no problem, addressing no bugs, and only benefit is to save a few seconds for someone who cannot be bothered to sell stuff when in town.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Right.

Actually you have it totally wrong there. Things WERE restricted by Class and they spent coding time to give us the option to remove that silly restriction. Most of the people I know I turn it off on every char, except possibly at low level on a non twinked char.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
[*squish splash squish*]

And what the OP is asking is not simple. "What I can use" is in the eye of the beholder and setting the rules for what turns into cash would not be a small thing.

Also limits on what you can carry SHOULD be part of the game, its part of every D&D game I've ever played.

And if you can't be bothered to sell the low end stuff while you are powering through quests below your level..then don't pick it up.

boldarblood
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Right.

I take it your pretty new around here. :) It used to be that you ONLY got rewards based on your class. It got to the point that no one wanted to bring there casters any more. Because the loot tables were not the same as a melee class. So they gave us the option.

Arlith
06-24-2008, 05:19 PM
He needs a Bling Gnome and some Prozac

Bling Gnomes FTW!!!!

JakLee7
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Though the idea in its original form is not something I agree with - I think it might be a good idea to have end rewards have an option for gold. That way if I get no real pulls I can just choose the plat.
I think that was insinuated before but not really spelled out.
yeah
:)

Kargon
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM

You can't be serious.

Kargon are serimious, if othermer playermers are convertaming usefumul loot into cash without having the optimion for put for sale on brokermers or AH, then are even hardermer to find a reasamon to SPEND that cash since will be fewermer things to buy.

Scipio
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Kargon are serimious, if othermer playermers are convertaming usefumul loot into cash without having the optimion for put for sale on brokermers or AH, then are even hardermer to find a reasamon to SPEND that cash since will be fewermer things to buy.

Eh, mate so few people would do this that either they are in a specialty guild or just special. Its most likey not going to ever get made into something real and if it did its something I d say that would have to be turned ON... so I say let em dream!

Oh and it something were to come out it would be at the lowest price you can get for it in the area your in... not at broker prices...

Allice
06-25-2008, 12:34 AM
personally for end rewards i dont have a problem with this idea. Because in an RP sense you can say "Mr quest giver i dont really like any of the options you are giving me can i just get cash" and if hes resonable and has case he can say yes.

Now out of chests no because you cant go to a chest and say "mr chest, I dont like anything in here that you have for me can i have cash" Theres no way the chest can do anything because its an inannimate object that has no way of controlling whats within it.

So if thats being a hypocrite then yes im a hypocrite because Gods forbid me wanting some type of Role play realism to the game.

villainsimple
06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
[*squish splash squish*]

And what the OP is asking is not simple. "What I can use" is in the eye of the beholder and setting the rules for what turns into cash would not be a small thing.

Also limits on what you can carry SHOULD be part of the game, its part of every D&D game I've ever played.

And if you can't be bothered to sell the low end stuff while you are powering through quests below your level..then don't pick it up.

If you don't like it, don't turn the damn thing on. Simple as that. if you don't want to risk it... don't.

And before you continue to outright LIE about what I said...

"The Cash option would remove items that aren't of your class/race type in terms of armor and weaponry and replace them with gold and gems of an appropriate and equal value."

This would leave all forms of jewelry/clothing. It would remove full plate from a character that is restricted to robes... it would remove greataxes from character restricted to monk weapons. If you have multiclass...then you can still use it.

[I know better than to make derogatory comments about others]

DoctorWhofan
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
[nom nom nom]

As for the topic, we have control, actually more control than before, over what is dropped. While I do agree to some of the posters to have a gold option (how they figure it out, I dunno) as end reward, but we are all so immature, such an idea will not be welcomed.

The_Mighty_Cube
06-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Remember that if you're going to flame each other, the only attention from Turbine you attract is mine... and I'm feeling awfully hungry at the moment. Leave the insults and name calling at the door please.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
If you don't like it, don't turn the damn thing on. Simple as that. if you don't want to risk it... don't.

And you continue to ignore the other parts of what I said

1) That most people wouldn't want it so its poor dev time (for the reasons given by 99% of the ppl in this thread)
2) That the limits on number of items you carry and weight are approrpiate restrictions. If you choose to have an 8 str char or carry full bags then you shouldn't be able to walk out with everything you find. That has always been part of D&D and is reason enough to not do what you ask.

And before you continue to outright LIE about what I said...

How did I lie?

I said what is useful is in the eye of the beholder, and that's true. For example, with one spell my Bard can use that great axe. Turbine tried to make rewards "class and race specific" for end rewards and ppl constantly complained that it wasn't well done. That shows that it is more complex than your simple analysis would make it out to be.