PDA

View Full Version : Idea to fix Combat Expertise

Zaodon
06-19-2008, 02:10 PM
The problem with Combat Expertise, is that its a Combat Stance that turns off when certain actions are taken, and then doesn't turn itself back on afterwards.

Idea to fix this problem:
A trigger already exists in DDO to "detect" actions that would "turn off" Combat Expertise. Instead of turning it off, use that exact same trigger to apply a "-5 to AC" debuff effect that lasts 5 seconds. This debuff would only be applied if Combat Expertise stance is active (so that you dont get the debuff unless you have CE running)

The nice thing about this is that the tech already exists (its similar to the barbarian fatigue debuff), it just requires some code to support it.

Twerpp
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree it needs to be fixed. Most notably the fact that drinking a potion is not casting a spell :mad:

The rest of it...I chalk it up to this being a game with a more active playstyle, hotkey your CE or something and don't forget to turn it back on. Keep aware that theres a 30 sec timer and cast all your clickies/spells in one go, then tap the hotkey to turn it back on. CE is an active combat stance. Its not a passive feat that grants you 5 AC without even having to blink.

Zaodon
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree it needs to be fixed. Most notably the fact that drinking a potion is not casting a spell :mad:

The rest of it...I chalk it up to this being a game with a more active playstyle, hotkey your CE or something and don't forget to turn it back on. Keep aware that theres a 30 sec timer and cast all your clickies/spells in one go, then tap the hotkey to turn it back on. CE is an active combat stance. Its not a passive feat that grants you 5 AC without even having to blink.

So is Power Attack, but that doesn't turn off when casting spells.
So are Monk Stances, but they don't turn off when casting spells.

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water.

tihocan
06-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Agreed, I had suggested a few seconds of being inactive before automatically being turned back on, but your solution would do the same and may be easier to implement.

Twerpp
06-19-2008, 06:35 PM
So is Power Attack, but that doesn't turn off when casting spells.
So are Monk Stances, but they don't turn off when casting spells.

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water.

I'm not saying I like it and want to keep it that way. I'm saying an active player in an active combat game is capable of dealing with it.

Auran82
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
All they need to do is either get rid of or dramatically reduce the 30 second cooldown time.

sirgog
06-20-2008, 01:01 AM
All they need to do is either get rid of or dramatically reduce the 30 second cooldown time.

I agree with reducing the cooldown.

My suggestions:

1) Reduce cooldown to 10 seconds.
2) Have CE only deactivate on casting a spell from SP - not from clicky usage.

Turial
06-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I agree with reducing the cooldown.

My suggestions:

1) Reduce cooldown to 10 seconds.
2) Have CE only deactivate on casting a spell from SP - not from clicky usage.

Personally I would be fine with 6 second cooldown but allowing for every clicky, spell, and sneeze to turn it off. There really is no reason for it to take 30 seconds to refresh given how long it takes to activate in the first place.

krud
06-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm not saying I like it and want to keep it that way. I'm saying an active player in an active combat game is capable of dealing with it.

Have you used combat expertise? on a paladin? First of all, an active player is not able to deal with it when so many things he does shut off CE. Add, to that the 30 sec cooldown and you can never get it back on. "Keep aware that theres a 30 sec timer and cast all your clickies/spells in one go, then tap the hotkey to turn it back on" is not a solution. It does not even come close to replicating how CE should work. The only way CE would work as it's supposed to and keep the active toggle is to make the activation instant, and reduce the cooldown to 6 sec or less.

Try making power attack (also an "active" combat feat) work the same way and you'll hear a chorus of complaints screaming "NERF! You've made it impossible to use!"

Vyctor
06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Combat Expertise does not work with anyone who likes to use Divine Power clickies/scrolls either. Using the clickie and turning CE back on every 45 seconds is tedious at best.