PDA

View Full Version : DEVS Plz LOOK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Major BUG in DDO!!!

BigAngel
06-13-2008, 10:26 AM
*I’m sure that DDO programmers and game designers have Years of work on their hands.
What with all that is takes to do what they do to keep such a great game like this going!

But for the LOVE OF all that is GOOD and HOLY, I beg YOU!

GIVE ME First Person View!!!! :~~~~(

THE CAMERA stops ONE CLICK short of allowing me to play from my characters point of view!!!!!!!!! ONE!!!! CLICK!

I and millions of other people who play games LOVE the emersion of this camera view.

And I don’t want this to become a thread about what’s the better camera view.
I just notice that DDO caters to ALL different types of players (when it come to view style) BUT FPV! ONE…. Lousy click!

I mean you have to like PURPOSELY type that restriction into the code! HAHHAH!
I can see it now, sample code:

- If player clicks just short of fpv THEN stop….
End

I beg of thee! Nay, I BESEECH you to make this available in the next update!

You are the GAME GODS, those that make all things possible!
Grant me and the millions I represent this ONE wish!!!

-BigAngel

Deriaz
06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Mmm, first person view. . . I'd probably play in that permanently, if it came out. It'd actually help me, to be honest: Playing all Warforged tends to make you just a little closer to the ceiling in some dungeons than the other races. I'd be able to see much better, even though I can only see in front of me.

Plus, I love the idea of being able to fight Velah or the Titan in the first person, to run up there and start swinging face to face with something as big or as strong as that. . .

-D

BigAngel
06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
You said it perfectly and gave one of countless reasons to have this.
The added possibilities that ONE simple Click opens to us is amazing!

I hope to fill this thread up with thousands of people desiring this ONE simple thing!

That the GAME GODS, might find mercy and set aside 15 mins to remove that restriction.

Hear US of Mighty ones of OLD!!! Lol!

-BigAngel

Lorien_the_First_One
06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Ya, I would kill for that too. There are just WAY too many times in way to many dungeons where the walls or other objects get in your way and you can't see what the heck you are doing. Having the first person option would be a life saver.

tihocan
06-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Somehow I have the feeling a FP view would be horrible. You lose a lot of the action in first person view. The animations would probably look like **** too, since they are not meant from this point of view. Not sure how good the models would be either without a top graphics card.

ClovistheRiparian
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
"GIVE ME First Person View!!!! :~~~~("

They can do it. It was one of the options, probably still is, in Turbine's first MMORPG, Asheron's Call. I tried it, didn't like it, but obviously others will like it.

Kris_P._Letus
06-13-2008, 12:05 PM
i think fpv would be awesome. as someone said earlier, playing all wf characters hitting the cielings suck. same thing as trying to pinpoint in on something that your looking for, and you cant seem to get the camera angled right to see it. yeah.

/signed

ChainsawXIV
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
While I'd really like to have this, it's probably not quite so simple as it seems. For one thing, they'd have to hide your head and helm, so you aren't constantly looking at the edge polygons on your characters eyeballs and such. Not a big deal probably, given that they already let you toggle your helm on and off, but it would take more than just opening up the zoom in by another notch.

Probably the biggest concern I can see is animation. Not just what your animations look like from that perspective, which someone mentioned before, but what you do with the view point when your character's animation would move his or her head. You would expect the view point to move a bit - roll and bob when you walk, spin around when your character does his crazy attack sequence, and so forth. Not only would this require attaching the camera to the player's rig differently, but it would make for some potentially queasy moments: Spin me around once? Ok. Spin me around every six seconds for an entire boss battle? I'm gonna hurl...

These aren't unsolvable problems. I'm just pointing out that it's not as simple as it seems at a glance.

Brummbar
06-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I would like this option.

As long as it is optional, I am sure I'd play with both 1st and 3rd person at times.

/Signed.

I see no valid, negative reason for us 'NOT' to have this option.

It would just add another layer to game play...sometime not knowing what is behind you is more emmersive....

Indel_Eventine
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
I think you are missing something important here - periferal vision will be lost, and that will make your actions LESS immersed, not more.

I personally like to keep a longer look into the scene than it is when you log on - helps me see danger coming - just as I would (hopefully) in real life.

TKnor
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Asheron's Call 2 had it. I used it often to take screenshots without my big, grey in the way of everything. Makes for getting good avatar screenshots, too (for making board avatars).

Since the engine DDO uses is a progression of the Asheron's Call 2 engine, I don't see why they wouldn't "re-enable" it at some point. I do recall that the first person camera height was the same for all characters in AC2, though. Something they'd definitely need to fix; World of Warcraft has proper height first person views and we should requi-no! demand first person views as well!

For the sake of your beautiful landscapes, Turbine, allow us to see the world not as an ever present scrying orb, but as a pair of organic eyeballs! Think of how many documentary walkthroughs we could have if we didn't have to constantly annotate our pictures with "Aaaaand here's a shot of me getting my melon bit off by Velah." We could instead notate them with: "Aaaaand here's a picture of the inside of Velah's belly.. again." :D

TKnor
06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I think you are missing something important here - periferal vision will be lost, and that will make your actions LESS immersed, not more.

That's why it should be optional. Hold Num+ or mouse-wheel in far enough and you go to first person.

When it's optional, then you can be aware of the trades you're making for "loss of peripheral vision".

We wouldn't have people crying "Foul!" if it was a user electable perspective.

ChildrenofBodom
06-13-2008, 02:35 PM
You Capitalize things in the weirdest places. heh

I agree, good idea.

Signed.

(If you want to make an emote out of it, it's /sign, not /signed, you type /sit to sit, not /sat) ;)

DoctorWhofan
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
*I’m sure that DDO programmers and game designers have Years of work on their hands.
What with all that is takes to do what they do to keep such a great game like this going!

But for the LOVE OF all that is GOOD and HOLY, I beg YOU!

GIVE ME First Person View!!!! :~~~~(

THE CAMERA stops ONE CLICK short of allowing me to play from my characters point of view!!!!!!!!! ONE!!!! CLICK!

I and millions of other people who play games LOVE the emersion of this camera view.

And I don’t want this to become a thread about what’s the better camera view.
I just notice that DDO caters to ALL different types of players (when it come to view style) BUT FPV! ONE…. Lousy click!

I mean you have to like PURPOSELY type that restriction into the code! HAHHAH!
I can see it now, sample code:

- If player clicks just short of fpv THEN stop….
End

I beg of thee! Nay, I BESEECH you to make this available in the next update!

You are the GAME GODS, those that make all things possible!
Grant me and the millions I represent this ONE wish!!!

-BigAngel

That would be an interesting option!! I think I would like that! Maybe should have put the thread on the Devlopment Forum. More chance to be seen by the devs there!

Jerevon
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Heck, come on, if first person view gets added, can you please at least also increase the zoom for zooming out too (twice the distance)? Please?

BigAngel
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
But it’s a bug! :)

Ok everyone who has any questions on how and if the graphics would look good or not.
Or those who are curious try this.

Stand about 2 steps from a rest shrine and use it. (the rest shrine), your character will then sit and rest in first person view.

About 85% of the time, a bug will occur that will keep the camera stuck in FPV!!!
Now, careful NOT to press any view buttons and walk around the dungeon!!!
You’ll feel like you’re really IN the dungeon and not following some warrior KEN-DOLL that is blocking your screen!
TRY IT and post here what you think plz!

On two other notes;

I use caps as a form of punctuation when I’m EXCITED. (old bbs days, lol) :)

And about wither or not FPV hinders your play style is not the point here.
Everyone will have their own likes on it and its an old argument that’s never won.
And trust me that I have and argument for it! (hint; there is a reason why our eyes are where they are in real life! and if you want perspective, its called using your EARS to sense sound to either side. Anything else is cheating.
Second, it takes more graphics to animate a guy on screen in front of you then NOT having it there at all!) BUT PLEASE DON’T go there in this thread! :)

My focus here is to BEG and GROVEL the forces that BE!!
GIVE this to us as a surprise in the next update, DON’T even mention it, just pop it in and see how the people will rave! :)
-BigAngel

GlassCannon
06-13-2008, 09:38 PM
and Permadeath will love the feature.

Strakeln
06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I'd never use it, and normally I'm against "change the game for me" posts, but I gotta say...

this request makes a lot of sense.

/signed

query
06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm not ending up carying a BFG and have to worry about PvP FPS frame rate......

/agree

VonBek
06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I came from FPS games. It took some serious adjusting to get used to the detached camera view. I'm for the FPS view as an option. While I'm not sure I'll go back to it full time, I'd like to have it as an option. Some encounters would just work better if I didn't have content blocking my view of the monsters.

Naturelaughslast
06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Wow finally a decent idea that is not.....special. /Signed

Kachi
06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I like the third person view, but honestly I was surprised to find out there was no first person view; so while I would not use it I definitely would vote to have it implemented/added. ;)

Uska
06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Depending on how much dev work it would take I say add it for those who want it, me I like it how it is for this game. But just because a game doesnt have a feature= that it is bugged.

Yaga_Nub
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Not worth the development time.

ahpook
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know how much I would play FPV but I want to give it a try. The couple of times I have hit the FPV bug it seemed that I could really see the dungeon. I would have been happy to take it for a longer test drive.

It might be too irritating with those kobolds always trying to be behind you but it would be easy to get back to 3PV when needed. If they cannot accommodate this they need to fix the camera so it does not get blocked by something that is behind your character. It is very irritating to be unable to see anything because of plants or tapestries BEHIND your character.

1 more click!

silverraven
06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
It should be an option.

Not one I would use considering i get motion sickness, but it should at least be an option for those of us who use it. However, the fighting animations in this game would make it queasy considering we do spin around ALOT. (It might not be viable considering that)

Inspire
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Mouse Scroll In! Hehe, First Person View...Ish... I Like 3rd Person Though:D I Scroll Out As Far As The Game Lets Me.

ahpook
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
It should be an option.

Not one I would use considering i get motion sickness, but it should at least be an option for those of us who use it. However, the fighting animations in this game would make it queasy considering we do spin around ALOT. (It might not be viable considering that)

I spun around a lot in quake, doom and half-life so I don't think that is concern for a player that is used to it.

silverraven
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I spun around a lot in quake, doom and half-life so I don't think that is concern for a player that is used to it.

Oh sorry, I haven't played FPV since Doom.

DME543
06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
/signed

Tanka
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Not worth the development time.
I, personally, would love the ability to pull the camera back even further.

And also for it not to shoot into the back of your head when you're up against a wall.

DelScorcho
06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
If it takes any development time, I would say no. But it does seem to be something that could be done quickly. That being said, if I wouldn't use it, as right now, for visibility sake, I move the camera back as far as possible.

Deriaz
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
/not signed.

Is there a reason why? I mean, you're not being forced to play first person. . . Just a "/not signed" isn't really contributing much. . .

-D

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Ok so how do I delete one or more over the content of the other plz!

-Bigangel

Yaga_Nub
06-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Ok so how do I delete one or more over the content of the other plz!

-Bigangel

Send a request to Tolero to have the original thread moved.

In_Like_Flynn
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Seems like a reasonable request.

In_Like_Flynn
06-17-2008, 09:28 AM
GIVE ME First Person View!Seems like a reasonable request.

Entwhistle
06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Agreed. I'd like it being implemented with an extra click on the mouse wheel. I'd even like an extra click out for a wider view of combat for my cleric to see the wounded better.

I'd also love to see through dungeon dressing, cobwebs, hanging lights etc., when scrolled out. Damned annoying.

suitepotato
06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Dead set against it being standard, as well as taking any time from fixes and new content to engineer it. I am totally happy with my camera and views all over.

Mike and the Bots, please...

"Normal view, normal view, NORMAL VIEW!!!!!!"

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
"Dead set against it being standard" <- Yeah me too! Never said "standard" but optional.
"as well as taking any time from fixes and new content to engineer it" <- Never asked for this to take the place of anything but to be considered.
"I am totally happy with my camera and views all over." <- Well as long as your happy I guess. :)

Read bellow and see the bigger picture

The fact is that the FPS game industry is having a serious problem.
Its players are getting tired of the same old game idea wrapped in a different package or mission or whatever. It now finds itself struggling to keep the FPV player interested!
This represents MILLIONS of gamers around the world! (myself included)
Look at me and this “dup” thread as the SPEAR HEAD of MILLIONS that are seeking that “something NEW” and REFRESHING.
DDO has a unique and amazing opportunity of appealing to this Vast group of players with ONE SIMPLE CLICK of the view button.
SO, what does this “dup” thread mean to those of you that don’t like the idea?
How about Million$ in development dollars that could possibility come in due to all the new accounts?
This could mean, Huge new lands, more servers or other developments we haven’t even thought of yet, that I’m sure they are already working on.

So, you see, I’m looking at a bigger picture outside of just whining for my FPV.

Why?
Becuase, I’ve been around the words “Dungeons and Dragons” since the late 70s, when I stood there as a kid watching my brother and his college buddies "roll dice" till sunrise.
SO, I may love this game more then you know and want it to succeed in any way it can…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Bigangel

Davinna
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I Like 3rd Person Though:D I Scroll Out As Far As The Game Lets Me.

Same here. I get a better feel for my surroundings that way.

For instance last night during a Hound raid, I knew one of the reavers was about to pwn me, so I refreshed the haste the beholders had taken away and off I ran and was able to heal myself before he got too close.

Inspire
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Same here. I get a better feel for my surroundings that way.

For instance last night during a Hound raid, I knew one of the reavers was about to pwn me, so I refreshed the haste the beholders had taken away and off I ran and was able to heal myself before he got too close.

Yep, I Dont Need A Blind Spot, Im Already Gimped Enough.

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
That the developers of DDO realize that the reason why so many of their players dislike FPV proves exactly my point!

They have done a great job in attracting one player type, but have missed the mark completely with First person players. (again millions)

I would like to think that their marketing department is reading this thread, scrambling around and trying their best to contact me and the others that do want FPV. In hopes to know how else to TAP into this potential($)!

So please keep proving my point in saying, "no FPV", this only shows how focused their current player base is.

-BigAngel
:)

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
D&D has a long and vital contribution to the history of all “First person” games of today!

Please Read:

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/03/10_great_forays.php

and note the comment made by ;

“By Flick at 2:50 PM ON 03/18/08
I was really surprised not to see any of the "Eye of the Beholder" series on here.
It was one of the frontrunners of first person point of view games!”

And for those that never heard of this game check out this link to a D&D game made in 1991, FPV and DOS BASED!!!
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/eye-of-the-beholder

YES this was even before DOOM (PC 1993)!!!

Still think FPV has no place in DDO?!!

-BigAngel :)

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I HERE BY DECLARE A PROMISE!

WHEN THE DEV GODS AT DDO GIVE ME FIRST PERSON VIEW, I WILL SEND THEM TWO DOZEN WHITE ROSES!!!

And $40 McDonalds COUPON!!!!

And My GI-Joe Collection!!!

And…. AND!…..MY CAT, Mr.Wiggly!!

…….hmm….

OK, Maybe not the last three BUT, I will send ROSES!

Test ME in THIS, O' Great WISE ONES!

-BigAngel

RTN
06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry, but I vote no as well. Given that DDO has limited developer resources, I'd prefer they spent it on new content and bug fixes.

BigAngel
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
So you believe that setting a view parameter to one more step is as difficult as some major bug repair?

And secondly, that this one thing would delay them so much as to hold off ALL other developments in DDO?

Well, Id like to give them a little more credit then that.

But I thank you for the input!

-BigAngel

Cholera
06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Love it.

/signed.

Kingfish
06-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Hear US of DEV GODS!

(lol, I hope you guys are getting a kick out of this as I am!)

-BigAngel

Doubtful they/we are...and i am not a fan of spending(wasting?) the limited dev time/resources on this feature. This is something they can add to DDO2 but for now, I say lets rollout more content(faster?) and get the remaining core classes/races in the game.

Just my opinion...

FluffyDucky
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
/signed

Not sure which I would prefer (1st or 3rd person) but would love the option.

BigAngel
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
If a FPV camera is not possible, then how about giving us the ability to Toggle (on/off) our Player from screen!

(Just as you allow us to toggle the names on/off by pressing the “v”.)

I would imagine that this has even less programming involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All mighty DEV-GODS!
It is my wish that your coffee taste ever better and your donuts be ever fresher,
the day you make FPV available to your groveling followers! :)

-Bigangel

*btw, you can thank my girlfriend (Selenay) for this bit of genius.

dragonoffrost
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I would believe your constant spamming of this thread will bring about the exact opposite idea. You are starting to become, at least to me, like a plat farmer in game. Annoying and I will probably soon be hitting the report post feature to stop your constant spamming/bumping of this thread.

As for your idea I can see some people wanting it but I don't I like the current view sometimes I even scroll back so as to see something approaching from behind. Usually when I am rogueing and I want to sneak somewhere. Why scroll back? So when the noob barb comes running up I can tell them to stop as I am going to pull a few so as to stop a wipe.

BigAngel
06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
I am seriously not understanding the hostility here?

This thread was meant to be a playful fun discussion on what many think is a great idea.

I haven’t typed a thing into it in several days, added one thing today and now a plat-farmer and threatened!

Did I MISS something?!?!

Please re-read this entire thread and you’ll notice that the entire thing is my attempt at humor towards what I believe is a good subject and idea.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll make sure to ask them to remove it and perhaps then you both will be happy.

And thanks for the heads up on the forums.

Note to self, don’t post anything that might be out of the ordinary and off the beaten path in DDO Forums. People might attack and threaten you.. Gotcha.

-Bigangel

Recovery
06-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I am seriously not understanding the hostility here?

This thread was meant to be a playful fun discussion on what many think is a great idea.

I haven’t typed a thing into it in several days, added one thing today and now a plat-farmer and threatened!

Did I MISS something?!?!

Please re-read this entire thread and you’ll notice that the entire thing is my attempt at humor towards what I believe is a good subject and idea.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll make sure to ask them to remove it and perhaps then you both will be happy.

And thanks for the heads up on the forums.

Note to self, don’t post anything that might be out of the ordinary and off the beaten path in DDO Forums. People might attack and threaten you.. Gotcha.

-Bigangel

The issue is that you are bumping your own thread over and over. You first double posted into 2 different forums and bumped them back and forth from what it looked like. Then after days of no more responses you decided to bump it again for your own satisfaction to get it back to the top of the forums. Threads, if needed, will be bumped by the player base with relevant information, but not the op rehashing the same info over and over just to keep it on the front page.

just my opinion. :)

frederjoe1
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Not really sure one way or the other whether I would like 1st person, probably not becasue it limits your view and I like being able to scroll out, but I am not opposed if other people would like it.

However, I am getting a bit tired of the constant bumping of this thread. I am very happy that you are excited about your idea but I beleive like dragon said that you are going to find the opposite rreaction with your approach. Nobody enjoys having an idea crammed down their throat no matter how good the person giving it perceives it to be.

Ya might want to go through the forums a bit and find some ideas that were presented and replied to and you will find that those the devs respond to (positively) are usually the ones that ask a question and wait patiently for an answer. Then there are the posts where someone tries to demand results and answers and continually repost the same thread over and over, at the very least they are ignored, some get a dev response (negative), and then if it is habitual the post gets removed and the poster banned.

My 2cp good or bad....

BigAngel
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Sorry about that

If I over posted it was out of excitement not evil intent.

Take care

-Bigangel

Yaga_Nub
06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry about that

Take care

-Bigangel

apology accepted. :)

It happens to the best of us.

JoeyJoJoJr
06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd like to zoom out farther too please!!!

dragonoffrost
06-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Sorry about that

Take care

-Bigangel

/accepted

I also am sorry for using the plat farmer reference. Ambition is a good thing but when it goes far enough to border on annoying it can be a bad thing.

As I also said before your idea has merit for some players so I don't totally dismiss it.