PDA

View Full Version : What were you thinking?

Impaqt
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
So, Seriously, did ya make it such a PITA to get to the new raids so we would stop complaining about running to Meridia?

Yes, I forgot to get the quest....

took almost 2 hours to get to it... (Had a few first timers and had to backtrack a lot.. Plus explored a bit)

Then when ya recall ya recall into a beholder....

Then ya cant runback in because the underground is multiple instances that reset.....

I know its my fault for not getting the quest.. buts its still a dumb mechanic.

Angelus_dead
06-12-2008, 11:30 PM
So, Seriously, did ya make it such a PITA to get to the new raids so we would stop complaining about running to Meridia?
I can probably tell you what they were thinking:
As soon as you click on the hole in the marketplace, you are already "in a raid"

GlassCannon
06-13-2008, 03:46 AM
http://logo.cafepress.com/6/2154205.3253846.jpg

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-17/zombie-market-street.jpg
Backstory: Hot dogs with Ketchup for breakfast. No coffee, because the tin was empty.

Borror0
06-13-2008, 03:54 AM

Yes, I forgot to get the quest...

Doesn't take that long to get to the quest, I see it as the preraid, so to speak. I like it.

However, if you could some up with something to make sure we have the quest... that'd be really nice.

Geonis
06-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Doesn't take that long to get to the quest, I see it as the preraid, so to speak. I like it.

However, if you could some up with something to make sure we have the quest... that'd be really nice.

I don't see why we should waste programming time when you could literally turn your head left and right before entering the area to see the color/shape of the overhead symbols prior to entering. My first run down there, we entered without a full party, and reminded folks as they joined to get both quests right there before coming in, pretty easy.

Borror0
06-13-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't see why we should waste programming time when you could literally turn your head left and right before entering the area to see the color/shape of the overhead symbols prior to entering.

They added a message telling you're not on the quest, didn't they?

Geonis
06-13-2008, 04:12 AM
They added a message telling you're not on the quest, didn't they?

I think because it doesn't pop up a "Quest Selector" menu, it wouldn't give the message.

Borror0
06-13-2008, 05:07 AM
I think because it doesn't pop up a "Quest Selector" menu, it wouldn't give the message.

That was not my point...

I meant, they would "waste" time on it for the same reason they have made that feature...

Illuminati
06-13-2008, 05:19 AM
In other games we had the ability to 'share' a quest from the quest journal with party members as long as you were in the same zone. You basically clicked 'share' in the journal after highlighting it and the box with all the verbals would come up to everyone who didn't have, and if they did you got a return message in your log, 'so and so has the quest'.

Geonis
06-13-2008, 05:32 AM
That was not my point...

I meant, they would "waste" time on it for the same reason they have made that feature...

That feature was added because in most cases, the quest giver is nowhere near the entrance.

In this case, before entering the quest region, you simply need to look left and right (literally), also it does give you notice before you step into the actual quest, just not prior to entering the "explorer area".

Edit - In another 2 weeks, parties will just be running directly to the quests and tossing fire walls to kill the mass of mobs following anyways.

Borror0
06-13-2008, 05:43 AM
That feature was added because in most cases, the quest giver is nowhere near the entrance.

Like?

By the way, I don't call running through a bunch of mobs "near the entrance".

In another 2 weeks, parties will just be running directly to the quests and tossing fire walls to kill the mass of mobs following anyways.

We already do that when we don't PuG, but that's not the point. Re-running there is annoying.

@Iluminati: Nice. I like that.

Turial
06-13-2008, 05:55 AM
In other games we had the ability to 'share' a quest from the quest journal with party members as long as you were in the same zone. You basically clicked 'share' in the journal after highlighting it and the box with all the verbals would come up to everyone who didn't have, and if they did you got a return message in your log, 'so and so has the quest'.
This would be nice but isnt a likely addition because the share quest function would have to check parameters like is the person flagged for the quest which other games have simply as a level requirement in many cases. Then again it may be simpler then I think.

It would be a good addition.

In_Like_Flynn
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Personal Responsibility > Whinging

GreyRogue
06-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Personal Responsibility > Whinging
That's a great rule for real life, but DDO is a game and is supposed to be fun. Inconvenience as a character-building exercise is not really appropriate in a video game setting. What exactly would be wrong with some mechanic to remind you to pick up the quest before you fight your way all the way to the entrance?

Borror0
06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
That's a great rule for real life, but DDO is a game and is supposed to be fun. Inconvenience as a character-building exercise is not really appropriate in a video game setting. What exactly would be wrong with some mechanic to remind you to pick up the quest before you fight your way all the way to the entrance?

Nicely said.

juniorpfactors
06-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Yes, I forgot to get the quest....

took almost 2 hours to get to it... (Had a few first timers and had to backtrack a lot.. Plus explored a bit)

Then when ya recall ya recall into a beholder....

Then ya cant runback in because the underground is multiple instances that reset.....

I know its my fault for not getting the quest.. buts its still a dumb mechanic.

ya its brutal...no matter how many times we say outload...dont forget to get the quest..hey before we drop did everyone get the quest...75% of the runs someone cant get in.... it only take 15-18 min to get to the quest...but the one who forgot to get the quest cant make it back alone for sure. they should have the beholder give the quest at the entrance...its annoying as hell

dont fight anything but at the doors untill you get to first beholder..that saves at least 10-15 minutes of messing around..just run firewall ....run firewall...get mana then start W/P everything......

jrp

Impaqt
06-13-2008, 10:59 AM
ya its brutal...no matter how many times we say outload...dont forget to get the quest..hey before we drop did everyone get the quest...75% of the runs someone cant get in.... it only take 15-18 min to get to the quest...but the one who forgot to get the quest cant make it back alone for sure. they should have the beholder give the quest at the entrance...its annoying as hell

dont fight anything but at the doors untill you get to first beholder..that saves at least 10-15 minutes of messing around..just run firewall ....run firewall...get mana then start W/P everything......

jrp

Oh, I know the run can be done quickly. But last night it was kinda a intro to the raid for almost half the group. THey hadnt even been into the Explorer zone.....

They finished it just fine without me, but still.... I woulda like to be there.

No whining here.... I hate the Mechanic, But I hate the multiple Instanced Underground even more.

Beherit_Baphomar
06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
No whining here.... I hate the Mechanic, But I hate the multiple Instanced Underground even more.

Multiple instances? Can you explain what you mean by this?
I dont think I understand.

Impaqt
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Multiple instances? Can you explain what you mean by this?
I dont think I understand.

The Underground Raid area is made up of at least 4 separate adventure zones. AS you Progress through various Portals you are Re-instanced. Central, West, East, Jarosco is where I've been so far. I can only assume there may be areas under the other 3 houses as well.
Once you progress to another zone/Instance Recall seems odd to me. If you recall, you amy end up at the beginning of the current instance your in, or on the top. I havent tracked where Irecalled and where I ended up enough to say what it is other than Weird.

Once everyone is in the next part of the underground, well, that part you left will reset in 5 minutes just like any other instance. Which meansyou have to fight your way back through the instance to get back to the arty. a Task that is not easy solo.

Beherit_Baphomar
06-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, thats not so hot....

Its not a cakewalk down there, thats for sure.

No holding instances either then, huh? Or at least not holding the three you've just went throo.