PDA

View Full Version : Tell The DDO Community Team #23

Tolero
06-10-2008, 10:30 AM
It's time again!

How it works:
I'll be asking you questions, and here in my thread, you tell me: What comes to mind; what you think; how you feel; etc, as it relates to the question(s) at hand. If you missed the previous week's questions, they'll be listed below and you can answer them here too. Thank you so much to everyone for offering their answers!

Ground Rules:
Before we get started, let's lay down three ground rules if you're going to participate in the thread. These ground rules also have a few samples to help clarify participation:

#1 - The single most important rule to remember while participating in this thread is:
No personal attacks.
If you disagree with the opinion of another participant, that's fine, but no one can make anyone agree to their opinion. Thus, please refrain from commenting on the personal qualities of others who offer their responses to the question(s). Personal attacks go against forum guidelines. Questions asked will be subjective, and some users will have a lot related to their opinion, while others may only define things in short phrases. All forms are acceptable.
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "Do you like ice cream?"
Player 1 "I hate ice cream because it's too tough to scoop"
Acceptable "I like it. It's not that bad to scoop once you let it sit on the counter for a little bit before you try to dip it Player 1."
Acceptable "I like it but I have the same problem as Player 1. What brand is it Player 1?"
Acceptable "I don't think it's too hard, I never have any problem with it. I like ice cream."
Unacceptable "That's cause you're a noob..."
Unacceptable "You don't have enough experience with scooping to be talking about how difficult it is"
Unacceptable "How about you back that opinion up with some numbers. If you can't prove it don't bring it here"

Everyone has the right to offer their response to the question(s), whether they have scientific data to back up their feelings, or they simply just "feel" a certain way towards the question(s).

#2 - Participate as well as discuss.
If you would like to join in the discussion, please be sure to offer your response to the questions as well, in addition to your conversation with any other thread participants
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "What's your favorite color?"
Player 1 "Blue"
Player 2 "Green"
Acceptable "Purple... hey Player 2, how come you like Green?"
Unacceptable "hey Player 2 how come you like Green?"

Please be sure to take the time to offer your own opinion of the question(s) before you engage in a discussion about other people's opinions in the thread.

#3 - Don't recycle the above hypothetical examples in your responses ;) as it spams the thread.
-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
If you could pick two things from Pen and Paper D&D to add to DDO, what would they be?

Question 2
Tell us about your most and least asthetically pleasing outfits (screenshots if possible!):

Question 3
What are some additional things you would love to be able to read about on the DDO Compendium?

Question 4
In the course of the thread, we've asked many questions. What is a question you would have loved to answer, but we didn't ask?

Bonus: Was there a question from a previous "Tell The Team" thread that you wanted to answer, but missed out on? Now is your chance!

This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?

Question 2
Rank the following in order of importance to you:

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?

Vorn
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Last week:
1) Weapon Master PrC enhancement line; Underwater Combat
2) Best: slim, plain, black full plate; Worst: pink jester scale mail
3) Correct feat/spell descriptions
4) When will we next get new quests?

This week:
1) The nature of the game: D&D ftw!!!
2) New quests; Revamped regions; Expanded existing systems; Events; Intro new systems.
3) N/A haven't done much with monks.

Sem34
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Question 1
what is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?
Answer 1: The feel of D&D in this game, I have been playing since Alpha and with my PnP group since launch… All members love the Combat and the dungeon crawl feel of this game.
Question 2
•(5)Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
•(3)Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
•(1)New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
•(4)Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
•(5)Events (Tent event, Race to the subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
with the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?
Answer 3: GOOD: The Feel of Monk… Turbine got the animation spot on. The Enhancements are also a nice plus. BAD: Healing Classes and Races… I think Turbine should have given us Druids and at least 1 new race, heck we all saw the races in the Monk video… why didn’t that get pushed with the Monk?

GeneralDiomedes
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Question 2

1. Quests
2. Revamped regions

The rest rank about the same to me.

I wish you would add a sixth option however, which would be technical improvements such as graphics upgrades, AI upgrades, performance improvements, etc. I would rate that 3rd.

Juni
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Question 1
What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?

Being able to hang out with friends that live to far away to visit often.

Question 2

1. New Quests
2. Expanded Existing Systems
3. Intro of New Systems
4. Revamped Regions
5. Events

Even though 3-5 are pretty much tied for importance.

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?

I love my Monk, she is great fun to play. I like the fighting style that monks offer and I am really enjoying the elemental attacks and finishing moves. About the only difficulties with monks is finding balanced groups to many people with monks and not enough casters and healers to go around at the lower lvls right now.

EspyLacopa
06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Question 1
If you could pick two things from Pen and Paper D&D to add to DDO, what would they be?
Nonlethal Damage, Multiple methods of wielding the same weapon (e.g. use a Longsword in one or two hands)

Question 2
Tell us about your most and least asthetically pleasing outfits (screenshots if possible!):
I have no such screenshots =[

Question 3
What are some additional things you would love to be able to read about on the DDO Compendium?
Don't read the compendium.

Question 4
In the course of the thread, we've asked many questions. What is a question you would have loved to answer, but we didn't ask?
Hmmm.

Question 1
Whether the game is fun and worth the money that must be put in to access it.

Question 2

New Quests (Would love to explore other planes as the cap continues to go up, aside from Shavarath and the other ones with clearly evil creatures. Kythri anyone? Slaadi would be neat.)

Expanded existing systems (crafting, Favor, etc.)
Introduction of new systems (Me wants skill based systems.)
Revamped regions (Neat and all, and great for new players. But for current ones, not so much in my mind.) Question 3
Haven't played monks terribly much yet.

There be my comments.

Kraki
06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Question 3 Monks

Having levelled a monk to 11 now, I have had a lot of good experiences and fun times trying the class out and seeing what we can do (healing 2 or 3 people from incap with one Ki heal is very handy). Warp time + monk speed = INSANE. The down side is that my cleric now seems to be running through molasses even with 30% striding. Stopping to wait for the barbarian to catch up is good too. :D

On the other hand, virtually all my bad experiences have been at level 10+ and trying to join GH or higher groups. I'm seeing more bad attitudes than I expected with people refusing to allow monks into their groups and it is surprising to me. I've found the monk to be VERY survivable with decent damage, good to excellent AC and a lot of fun to play and play with. With the halfling sneak attack enhancements, it's easy to tell when I've pulled aggro and I can either choose to switch targets or if I'm pulling a mob off a caster or cleric, then keep the monster on me.

I am hoping that the people saying that monks don't bring anything to help a party without even grouping with them at the higher levels will get over it.

Now to see if I can find some transmuting handwraps!

Kraki

DrAwkward
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Q: What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?

A: I'm not all that motivated myself, lately.

Q: Rank the following in order of importance to you:

A:

Bug fixes

Q: With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?

A: So sorry, out of character slots.

Tharlak
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Question 1

The comraderie.

Question 2

Introduction of new systems (True PRCs)
Expanded existing systems (Favor, Crafting)

Question 3

Have not played a monk, have not played with a monk.

VonBek
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Question 1
Frankly, my family, friends, co-workers are hostile to online gaming. Except the two I already play DDO with.

Question 2

Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 3BC Rocks. I like it as much as SH.
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) Quests are good - but not so much long quests or raids. I have small chunks of time.
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) Crafting needs something better. It needs to be readily accessible. The mod Seven rituals help. Still needs to get away from grinding for widgets and become something we can DO. It should be active, not incidental.
Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) Maybe Higher, once I can get into it.
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) I have to play as time allows - scheduled events miss me by a long shot.

Question 3
I'm likely in the minority here - Monks did little for me. I tried one. It's a good thing. But, I'm focusing on my current characters. I doubt I'll be drawn to Monks (or back to Paladins) until I get 32 point unlocked. About 2013. ;)

RazorrX
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Question 1

It is if I enjoy myself. If I really like a game I try to get friends to try it as well. IF the game fails to be engaging to me, then I do not bother. I have been known to buy copies and give to friends (did that with DDO, NWN, etc.) to get them to try.

Question 2
Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) 3 I like the bounty bags a lot, really nice to get some extra XP at lower levels.
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) 4 I would really like to see more Favor rewards, It would be cool to have more incremental rewards, like the 400 and 1750 favor. Does not have to be super cool, but some more like Kate hinted at would be nice.
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) 1 Quests are ALWAYS cool. I really like the new 3 barrel quests, not done the new Raid areas.
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 2 The new explorer areas rock! IMO they have been getting better with each one. 3 Barrel is awesome, easily my favorite new area added. I want a cabana out on the water there. ;)
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) 5 The Tent Event was very fun, a little miscommunication at the beginning, but very nice. Race was cool, and I love how it brought the servers together.Question 3

This is my favorite class ever. I have enjoyed playing the monk more than any other class, and look forward to how it will be at cap. I think you have done very well creating this class, it does not feel super powerful, but then it does not feel gimped. IT seems to be VERY well balanced (at least so far). Very fun to play, very engaging.

The best part is seeing just how and what we can do with our monks. I think the best experience has been the 'can do' mindset.

The difficult part was the initial learning curve (thankfully I tested on Risia). Did not realize how important Concentration was, etc. Took a few rerolls to get that. I do wish that the enhancements were more detailed, either in game or on the compendium.

IE Hard numbers to what does Air Stance give you? How much attack increase? How much increase to dex? Things like that would really help.

Justan
06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Question 1

Wife (or Spousal Unit) aggro, but you don't tell your friend about it until after they try the game and become instantly addicted. :)

Question 2

*4*Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
*2*Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
*1*New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
*3*Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
*5*Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3

I have yet to group with a Monk only toon as I have only been on my upper level toons raiding. I am, however, having diffuculty answering the following - 'How many Monks DOES it take to make a Monastary?' Where is the cutoff, at which point you just know - that is way too many Monks...

amysrevenge
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Here's the only one I really have an answer for:

Question 2

New Quests - I don't care about new content so much myself, I just know that it is so important to everyone else, and keeps play numbers up (which is truly #1 for me).
Introduction of new systems - I've been having a lot of fun with these. Looking forward to more, at higher levels (with higher rewards).
Events - Both of the recent major live events have occurred during busy times in my life, so I've missed them. I'd like to get involved next time.
Revamped regions - Only had time to go to 3BC once so far, looking forward to checking it out more.
Expanded existing systems - I'm boycotting the Shroud for the time being (I don't like the "tactics" that everyone uses). However, I'm picking up collectibles again. :)

That said, even the thing at the bottom of my list is still important to me - I like all of these things, I'm just ranking them.
Big Mike

MTG
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Last week's questions

Question 1

The book of exalted deads.

Question 2

My all black plate, all the plate that has the one pointy boot

Question 3

I dont read it

Question 4

Is there anyway for me to buy more hard copies of the game

Question 1

Cause I want them to stop playing **** games

Question 2

4 Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
5 Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
1 New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
2 Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
3 Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

I would have listed expanded existing systems higher but you keep putting in pvp in the list

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks?

They are by far the fastest class cause you dont want to stop fighting

What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?

They dont want to stop fighting till they drop dead a go "ahh dam what hit me".

GreyRogue
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Question 1
Pretty much the only thing that motivates me to push my game addictions on my friends is how much fun I'm having in a particular game. I like to share good times with my friends.

Question 2
Highest to lowest: New Quests>Expanded existing systems>Introduction of new systems>Revamped regions>Events. New quests is the top item because questing is the core experience of DDO and it's always fun to have new quests to do. I slightly favor expanding existing systems over introducing new systems because it seems like that might be easier (and faster) for the developers to bring into the game. I've really been enjoying the revamped regions, especially Three Barrel Cove. That is, in my opinion, the crown jewel of Module 7--even more than monks. However, I would rather have something totally new than something old rehashed. Finally, I have nothing against events and I have had fun participating in the past, but they are on the bottom of the list because the nature of events is that they are only available to certain players. Whether they are only around for a limited time, only accessible to high/low level characters, or whatever, they are somewhat exclusionary by nature.

Question 3
I actually have not yet made a monk. The hardest part for me is waiting until I grind out the last little bit of favor to open 32 point builds!

Memnir
06-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Question 1
I'm a lot more concerned with what Turbine is doing to convince others to play.

Question 2
-Most Important-
1 * New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
2 * Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
3 * Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
4 * Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
5 * Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)
-Least Important-

Question 3
The Good: Very fun class to play - and the versatility that can go into building a Monk is fantastic.
The Bad: Too many people who can't play them due to maxed out slots & the failure to grant additional space so they could try them.

sagehawkJH
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Question 2

Question 3

Question 2

1 - New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
2 - Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
2 - Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
3 - Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
10 - Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
Haven't started a monk, and none of my RL grouping friends are using them as their group character yet, so no real input.

Dailus
06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Question 1
What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you? Both the real time combat and the roleplaying community on Sarlona.

Question 2

#5 Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
#4 Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
#1 New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
#2 Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
#3 Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)
Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult? First off I love playing monks more options for characters are always welcome. The different paths and combat animations really make it a fun class.

The only difficult experience I have had is EVERYONE is playing a monk! It been quite hard finding a party than isn't made up of 3-6 monks right now. Although I am sure this will die down after some time.

-Dailus

Ministry
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
My responses in Red...

Question 1

I have many friends accross Canada and many that I have played DDO with in PnP and when they come into game and we team up, it's like getting together in the pub and playing PnP. It's also cool for meeting people, you know... the social aspect of life.

Question 2

[1]New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
[2]Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
[3]Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) - I really didn't think I would care much about this, but as a member of Legion and Thelanis, to see how we all came together to win this... well, I'm more interested than I thought I would be to see something like this again.
[4]Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
[5]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)

Question 3

The best experience is that the monk is a pretty damn good class and even if you have 6 of them in a party, no clerics or mages or rogues, you can still beat most mobs and quests for completion. I don't think it's the best class yet and a group of clerics or rangers would still fair better, but all in all, pretty decent. The most difficult is that there are so many parties that are either all or mostly monks, that you are missing out on healing and or trap disabling, making some quests way more challenging. But, I have run in so many parties in the past without healing or rogues or arcanes that I'm pretty much use to it and don't let it stop me from entering and beating any quest on my monk. But, he's only level 8, so we will see how it goes at the higher levels... ie. beating POP at level 10 with a full party of monks... hahahahahaaa

Zenako
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
[I]It's time again!
[center]This week's question(s) are:

Question 1

Prior gaming experience with that player and expecting that they would like the playstyle and have the computer horses to play

Question 2

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) - 4
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) - 3
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) - 1
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) - 2
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) - 5

Question 3

No slot open for me, so no monk on main server where all my real characters and stuff are. Seems like it will suffer the same perception and fate as a Paladin from what I can see. Good at a number of things that many players do not value in end game. They appear to be "fun" in the low levels, and can be kept up with pots and minor healing spells, but not sure how well they will manage in end game quests and raids. Time will tell.

Answers In yellow

sirgog
06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Question 1

Questing with friends is better than questing with random players.

Question 2

* Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
* Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
* New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
* Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
* Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

#1: New quests - there's simply not enough to last more than a month at current endgame. This is more important by FAR than anything else. Low level ones don't count, as there's plenty to do at low level already.
#2: Expanded existing systems
#3: New systems
#4: Events (seldom can I get on at these times anyway) Subterrane was OK just because it was short - were it weeks long, I'd have hated it.
#5: Revamped regions - 3-barrel now takes LONGER to get to the quests than it used to, and it already took too long to get to them before this update.

Question 3

Best: Parties of 1 bard (me) and 5 monks kicking ass - monks love the buffs!
Worst: Seeing 6 LFMs up, parties of levels 2-5, with 5 monks all saying 'need cleric'. I'd suggest a moderate boost to the healing power of some other classes to remove the illusion that a cleric is mandatory. (Cure Serious wands simply don't cut it with teh inflated HP of DDO characters).

Rameses
06-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Question 1
Nothing. It's Your job to convince people to play the game. And by your I mean Turbines.

Question 2

1-5... 1= no interest
Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) 0
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) 2
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) 5
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 1
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) 1

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks?
they're a nice distraction while leveling.

Extremely low damage out put. This could be remedied easily by allowing monks to wear a Hand Wrap on each hand.

I am, Rameses!

Barhai
06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I enjoy grouping with friends, especially real life friends. I admit I'm not much of a preacher trying to convince people to play ddo. Well I used to be, but it didn't seem to work.

Always the most important
[2]Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
crafting need more love, favor too
[3]Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
[4]Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)
I am not a big fan, but these events bring so much people on the severs it's easier to find a group/do anything
[5]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
Some new system might be needed, but bringing idea directly from others games like the bounty system doesn't seem to work for me.

Best: clericing in a group with one monk, and the monk has carefully been designed to be hard to hit.
Difficult:
-clericing in a group where people have made monks just to try it without giving any thought as to how they should design their
monks...
-trying to play an completly untwinked monk at low level
-Annoy me to no end that you drop out of center (and stance) when using a scroll...

Mistinarperadnacles
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Question 1

Spell lists and Craft Enhancements (ahead fluff factor 10!)

Question 2

Many are beautiful - armours especially some of the full plate, particularly the White one with Black underlayers. Sadly, I all too often get armour I want to wear because of the features it has but its pink or is that flourescent green and mauve robe pattern. I'll grab some screenies and edit later.

Question 3

Background - more details on Eberron, the Houses, lore etc.

Question 4

-

Bonus: Was there a question from a previous "Tell The Team" thread that you wanted to answer, but missed out on? Now is your chance!

-

Question 1

The community of great people you get to meet

Question 2
Rank the following in order of importance to you: (5 = most important)

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) 5
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) 5* (crafting and stuff but not PvP)
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) 5
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 4
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) 3

Question 3

Monks look good, well animated and are a unique class. They can be unwieldy to play with so many clickies and buttons and lack of information for forward planning makes them a stab in the dark.

tihocan
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Question 1
When they won't let me play alone otherwise.

Question 2
Ranked (first = most important):

Question 3
Can't really answer at this point (haven't played a monk, and grouped only with a handful of them).

GovtMule
06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Question 1

"Friendship". Online and IRL. My RL friends, of course share many of my interests so hanging out virtually is a great way to ... well hang out. When I sell DDO, one of the things I emphasize is how you need to work together to accomplish anything in this game. And the friendly competition in game (leveling, loot, etc.) adds more flavour.

Question 2

Question 3

Best--- learning how to roll/ play this dang thing! Low level solo-ing is easier than even my FTR was. and one funny story.... 5 MNK 1 WIZ party early on... the party started taking hits... suddenly a mass heal comes out of nowhere.. "WHERE THE **** DID THAT COME FROM?"

Difficult--- All I can say for "difficult" is the mnk enhancements are vast, deep and foreign. So, spending APs isn't the easy "click-click-done" affair it used to be.

GoldyGopher
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Question 1 - What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?
Enjoyment of the game.
Enjoyment is many things, and of course different things to different people. I recommend DDO on a regular basis but I always add caveats to my recommendation.
DDO has one of the best combat systems (I also like Vanguard), complicated enough to bring challenges without rote memorization of complicated routines.
Has the absolute best Character Creation and Advancement system (IMHO), but you have to understand that mistakes on level 2 can hamstring a level 16 character.
Some of the vistas are truly breath taking, more than one day I have parked a toon in the Cerulean Hills and used it as a screen saver and my coworkers have commented how awesome those images are.
On the other end I point out DDO is like a series of closets you run from one to the other to the other. Too Many load screens, that I am not sure what it accomplishes. Stormreach doesn't feel like a world, not in the way games like WoW, Vanguard, LoTR does. And of course if you are a super hard coreplayer the game lacks content, it is too easy to see all the content in like a week.
I like that the raids are completeable in a short period of time, I dislike that ALL the raids are completeable in a short period of time. It would be awesome to get a RAID that takes four to five hours to complete. I dislike the three week raids that exist in other games.
It is nice that the Staff and Developers of Turbine takes chances on new kind of technology, quest designs, and other systems. It sucks that Turbine doesn’t always go back and fix the ones that go horribly wrong. (Cough LOTD III Cough) I know that new content is more important but sometimes you got to say lets make this right.
I think I am going to long here, more than Tolero wanted so I will stop for now.

Question 2 - Rank the following in order of importance to you:
The one thing that so many people point out to me about DDO, who play other MMOs, is the lack of content in DDO. While I believe that we have had the content double since launch it really needs to double again. Too many players feel stuck in the same path while trying to level up their characters. Content will always be first on the list. I am not sure there could ever be too much content but I would like to see it.
New Adventure Areas are just like new content and when done right (Cerulean Hills, Gianthold, Orchard of the Macabre) they are pretty enjoyable, however when done wrong (Searing Heights, Waterworks) you got to wonder what is the point. I am not sure where I put TBC yet, I think it is spectacular to look at but the quests are too far away for two part quests. IE I don’t mind the run to Two Toed, but running twice for Old Gray Garl…..
It’s nice to see the events, I wish however that ones like the Tent lived up to the hype and others weren’t so demanding.
I am completely neutral on Bounty Bags, I am not sure there is much point yet.
Expanding systems, well there is a Pandora’s box if I ever saw one. One of the problems here is that what you have given us in some cases is about 1/10th of what we as a player base want. It isn’t real PVP, real crafting, and so. I think Faction Favor is a very nice add by the way. The Auction house, brokers, and other similar aspects need more work. But I am sure the 80/20 rule is in play. It would be nice to have Guild Alliances, Trade Channels, in game Trade Bulletin boards, Guild Halls and so on.

Question 3
I hate to say this but so far I haven't really had any great moments.
Poorly designed Monks in the level 4 to 5 range are difficult to run with currently. I point out the level because you can easily get any character to level 4 but after that it weaknesses really start showing. What do you mean you only have 45 HP?

salmag
06-10-2008, 12:30 PM
1. The way the game plays and the people I play with. Even while pugging. This is why I dislike WoW. Unfortunately, it seems that this game is trying to hard to be like WoW. Let's hope it goes back to 3.5 ed DnD. And lets hope it stays away from 4.0 ed.

1 > New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) MOST IMPORTANT.
2 > Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) Not crafting the way it is currently implemented though. Use Crafting Feats and skills, make it more like 3.5 ed DnD. PvP should just be on it's own server. Favor is a nice touch.
3 > Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) Nice job.
4 > Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) Meh.
5 > Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) Cool watching it unfold though.

BEST: Watching the monks animations. They are very good.
WORST: The way KI is implemented. It is backward. It should start off full and get used up as you move, and exert energy. Meditate to gain it back or rest. No action should slowly build your KI. The way you have it set up now, promotes zerging and one should not have to zerg in order to build up KI.

oogly54
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:[/center]

Question 1

More Classes (Dungeon Delver) and More Races (Deep Gnome - snirvneblin)

Question 2

I dispise the new look of the mithral chainshirt of crippling from the new raid. I love the look of the black dragon scale armor.

Question 3

Haven't used it much.

Question 4

Why all the Barbarian and Dwarf love in this game? Crit rage is implemented differently than PnP which makes it the single most powerful adder to a character. Even if added exactly the same as PnP, one weapon get this ability as a FEAT not all weapons, it would still be very powerful. Atleast then a barb would have to choose between DPS or crit ranged stat and crit raged fab 5.

Dwarves are have more dexterity in armor? Really? When a non prestige calss is more favorable that a prestige class, we have an issue. Did dwarves get all these extras so that Drow aren't the only race? Was it done so you didn't have to make 3 more new prestige classes quickly to give balance? Dwarves are the best fighters, barbarians, rogues, clerics, ......

Question 1

Cool new quests and the ability to make wide variety of characters with limitless variation. DDo does this well now, but it could be SOOOO much better.

Question 2

[4]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
[3]Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
[5]Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?[/QUOTE]

Have not played a monk, only because the over abundance of them right now.

DagazUlf
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
This week's answer(s) are:

Answer 1
I have never really tried to convince anyone else to play online games with me. This is my first game, and I am fortunate to already have a great community available in my guild.

Answer 2
Most to Least
Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)Answer 3
The animations and graphics for monks and their abilities make it really cool to quest with a party full of monks. It makes the Kung Fu Fighting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Fighting) song go off in my head.

The use of Ki is a great idea, but I absolutely abhor the implementation. How did monk become synonymous with running around as fast as possible and hitting people in a berserk frenzy so that I could gain some kind of power to make fireballs erupt from my fingertips? Seriously, this is just completely screwy and backwards from what this martial artist class is supposed to be. I should be losing Ki by acting like some kind of crazed psychotic killer instead of a striving for quiescence of body, mind and intention.

Pfamily
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
Additional weapons, adventure areas holding both high and low level encounters

Question 2
Most: +5 MFP...teal and purple
Least: +5 MBP...looks like ugly brown tights with a gold trash can lid stuck to my chest
OOPS...you asked for outfits...nvm

Question 3
I still prefer the original WIKI...but, since you asked, how 'bout a WDA?:rolleyes:

Question 4
Alas, my answer would likely violate forum guidelines for language and content.

Question 1
Easy...if it's fun and they aren't here.

Question 2
Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) 4
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) 3
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) 1
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 2
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) 5Question 3
Best: they're a very flexible class, easily adapted to a wide variety of circumstances
Worst: they seem a might too squishy at low levels and need to be played carefully...this isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

Done and done

moorewr
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Question 1
Free long distance? A way to reconnect with old gamer friends, mostly.

Question 2

[etc. Have I repeated this enough yet?]

Question 3
I have not yet figured out their role in a party, but I'm watching. At low level they seem most like funny-looking low-dps barbarians..

QuantumFX
06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Question 1: What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you?
The answer to this question: Am I having fun playing the game?

Question 2: Rank the following in order of importance to you:

Question 3: With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult?

Best: The enhancements. I honestly think the enhancements are the best part of the monk. In fact I'd like to see other tactical feats adapted as enhancements for fighters someday.

Difficult: Moving over from a P&P to a DDO format. The biggest example is TWF. In P&P investing in the TWF feats is an absolute no brainer. All the monk weapons are light, dual weildable weapons (Fists, Kamas, Saigham, Nunchaku, etc.) or a simple double weapon (Quarterstaff) or more elaborate with with eberron specific feats (Longspear, Two Bladed Sword, Longswords). Here in DDO-land forget about it. TWF loses a lot of it's luster when the only dual weilding option is kamas.

Inkblack
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Question 1
Personal friendships, and the desire to share with my friends things that I enjoy. Not that this will help DDO much, because every friend I have that might be interested has tried it. Some are still here.

Question 2

New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) This is first, by a long shot. Everything else pales in comparison in my opinion. Without this, there is nothing to tide me over for the 3-4 months between updates. Yes, I do new content quickly. Judging from the forums, I think you see a noticable drop off in player morale 4-6 weeks after content is released because people are through with it. Or maybe this is just my own mood while reading it. If I were king, there would be 3 new quests per month, with a monthly release schedule (not every 3 months).

I would love to hear a dev describe the process of creating a quest, and the amount of time at each process.

Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) I think this is a good idea, to keep things from becoming dated by modifications to the game. This is especially true of game mechanics. Also, it provides an incentive to expand beyond the power-levelling quests that get overused so much. Making old quests worth doing helps expand the effective content of the game imo.

Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) I am mixed on this. The crafting grind gives me something to do while I wait for more content. Favor gave me something to do, but now I really don't care about it other than getting bank and pack space. If PvP disappeared from the game, I wouldn't notice until I read the outcry on the forums.

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) Interesting, but not something I have to have. It's basically a cheap version of a quest. I do like that Turbine is trying to expand the game, but I view this as an alternative to what I really want, which is more content.

Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) This is difficult. I like it, but I question the bang for the buck. I think this takes a lot of work, for something that is not going to be used past the event timeline. Quests last forever, or until they have to be updated.
Question 3
I have concentrated on upper level content, and haven't grouped with a monk yet. Ask me tomorrow, when more of them reach 16th level.

Ink

Forceonature
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Question 1

If I think that person would enjoy playing that game.

Question 2

Question 3

Haven't played with monks much due to vacation.

Thx

Inkblack
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Just a quick scan, but the lowest I've seen NEW QUESTS rank is second, with the majority listing it as their highest priority. I get the idea that maybe, just maybe, content is something this portion of the player base wants. Do we have to beg? Wait, we've already done that...

Ink

feynman
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Question 1:

A good game.

Question 2:

like:

don't care:

dislike:

question 3:

Best: pants!

Difficulty: they have too hard a time killing things, take too much damage while they are trying, and have extremely limited usefulness in other aspects of the game (healing, buffing, skills); in any given group, I would rather have any other class than a monk. Frankly, unless there is a mssive shift away from people playing monks, this may have killed the game for me.

Akhad_Durn
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Question 1

The ability to share an adventure (cooperative), to explore something we both know nothing about. This is unfortunately limited, given that new exploreable areas (quests, explorer areas) can only be added so quickly.

Question 2

Cut it out with all the RAIDs already... give me more quests. With RAIDs there is just too much waiting around, or forming of the "perfect" group (causing more waiting). I also don't have a lot of time recently for RAIDs. If something is going to take longer than an hour I can't in good conscious join. I would need to either be AFK for ~30 minutes or drop group which just isn't fair to anyone else in the group.

I love the revamped regions! I makes me want to make some new characters and play through them. Give me more... (the black hole of want feels empty :rolleyes:). Just wish I had more charater slots to make more. :p

We have some great systems in the game already, it'd be nice to see these fleshed out further. How about making auctions more easy to search (yeah, yeah, on the list already...). I just hate seeing systems in the game already constantly taking a back seat to adding some other new system that could use some touch-up.

Something seems lacking around the bounty bag system, all I have seen is get a bounty from X named guy. Where is this guy, why do you want him dead??? It just seems that it could have used some more dev time before it was released.

At this point, I would really rather see some shine up onto an already released system than releasing more of systems that just don't seem complete. I'm not saying never add new ones, just do some clean up on the existing ones before you do add them.

I was around for the opening "event" of the Subterranean, two lines of text, and the force shield dropping are hardly what I'd call an event. Maybe you could have caused the gate to explode and spawned some devil gate guards... some other than, "ok... its open, have fun".

The tent was cool, but it had a lot of lead up and included some action before hand.

Question 3

Haven’t really grouped with anything other than low level monks a whole lot. Can't really say either way how I like them in group.

My experience with making one isn't going that great. I made some bad choices on how to set her up to start with, I think I'll just delete her, maybe make another monk, maybe not.

Andora
06-10-2008, 02:28 PM

Question 1

That I am having fun, I like to share that. I hound others, family and friends, to play.

Question 2

1. New Quests
2. Revamped regions ( I love the new three barrel cove. )
3. Expanded existing systems, more favor please.
4. Events
5. bounty bags.

Question 3

The small amount that I have played around with it I love the monks. Right now I am WORKING on 1750 favor. ;)

rfachini
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Question 1
Friends or relatives that I enjoy gaming with. People I have met online that are good at games, fun to play with, or have good imaginations.
Question 2

5Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) Bounty bags are very neat, but currently only useful for low levels. However, systems like quivers and component or scroll cases are VERY important
3Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) crating most important, favor is so-so (like some rewards but don't like grind), PvP is of very little interest (might be better if there were meaningful rewareds)
1New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
2Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
4Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult? Great to be able to find low level groups easily. Monk abilities are fun. No huge difficulties yet.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Question 1

Low grind fun and a referal program.

Did I mention my referals are down because the grind is up and CS ignores me about the last referal I made that they never sent a 30 day card for?

Question 2

New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) #1
I'll help you with the missing one.... spells and feats currently missing from the game

All the rest is in the "who cares' category:

Question 3

Its just another class, no big deal

Alexander_Illusioni
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Question 1
If you could pick two things from Pen and Paper D&D to add to DDO, what would they be? Improved Invisibility Greater Stoneskin, many many more spells!!!!!!!!!!!

Question 2
Tell us about your most and least asthetically pleasing outfits (screenshots if possible!): Chain Shirts, only because they all look alike. I like the silken mail. Nice job on that one.

Question 3
What are some additional things you would love to be able to read about on the DDO Compendium? Details of monks moves, finishing moves etc. Future planned feats. This is needed to plan out a character.

Question 4

Question 1

Question 2

6 Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
7 Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
1 New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
8 Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
9 Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

As you can see other than adding new playable content the rest is just fluff IMO. Number 2 would be adding new spells, 3 would be additional enhancements, 4 new classes, 5 would be new races. (I only but new races and classes in position 4 and 5 because I think they are too hard to add as fequently as I would like to see them).

Question 3

No real opinion on monks yet!

Yeric
06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Question 1

Camaraderie and Fun.

Question 2

First to me is the Revamped regions.
Following on that comes New Quests.
Introduction of new systems and Expanded existing systems group together for me. I ask Why?
Events come in last. I'm afraid you lost me with events with the devils invasion and the loss of the tent.

Question 3
I have no desire to roll a Monk. However The Wife and The Elder Son have Monks on Risia and seem to like them fine. I see myself rolling up a cleric to keep them company when they start their monks on the home server.

Tyrande
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Question 1

Perhaps getting paid while doing it?

Question 2

1) New Quests
2) Revamped regions, Expanded existing systems
3) Introduction of new systems
4) Events

Question 3

The good: monk speed, decent AC, decent damage.

The bad: hard to find a group as a monk.

The ugly: 1) sometimes hard to target moving monsters with a special attack.
2) no monk green steel wraps and monk items are sky rocket high to purchase in the AH.
3) monk buffs of 20 seconds is WAY TOO SHORT. It should scale up as you levels.
Right now, people prefer OTHER CLASSES' buffs. Healing is also too limited.

Ustice
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Question 1
Social interaction, and the shared experience.

Question 2

Please note that this in not an over-all feeling, but what I think needs to be done for the near-future. We have added several new systems to the game lately, and now they need to be refined further. We need more to do at the high-end. Raids are great, but we are getting very raid heavy. Raids take a lot of time to set up and to run. It would be nice to have some stuff that didn't take that much time.

Question 3
Since I am a more casual player, and not as interested in making a new character, I mostly played the raids to try to open up the new ones (I'm on Argo). I have yet to really see one other than what someone splashed on their cleric (not a bad choice, actually). I like the stance, and the way they move (except for the back-flip which didn't look fluid enough. I might make a monk later, once all of the info is available for them, so that I can plan the character out. We need more mechanic specific information. There should be formulas posted. Granted, they can change, but when they do, that should be noted. That way we can really tell if something is a feature or a bug.

EightyFour
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Question 1

People themselves. People are so much more fun than just running things on your own. However if this game was set up so you could run content on your own, it would be nice when you just don't want to be around people or there are just no people around.

Question 2

Question 3

They work as a good tank, so I'm ok with a monk playing that role.

I don't know if this is going to become a problem later but something we are going to have to adapt to. Some quests are just meant to be a running quest, you run threw it and fight only what you have to fight. Everyone has to know the quest and they have to be prepared for it. You well draw more mob's and encounters to you into one fight, but you need to avoid that mess of mob's by being quick, avoiding what you need to avoid and fighting what you need to fight.

Every now and than you get a guy that knows the quest but either doesn't run the quest that way or just thinks he's better than he is. Normally those players are the tanks, for some reason when it becomes time to run, you get one fighter that what's to finish off that last mob or last two mob's. Who knows? Whatever it is. So with monks it increases this problem, mainly because they are trying to boost there ki. But that's no big problem, as you just do the same thing with the monk's that you do with the tanks, leave them behind and add them to your un-friends list as a piker.

geoffhanna
06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
1. I'm apparently not the evangelist type as I've never persuaded anyone to play DDO. And this is my only MMO.
2. Quests, events, regions, new systems, expand existing systems
3. (a) everyone is a noob again (b) insufficient variety (abiliites, enhancements, artwork, equipment) to support the number of players going Monk all at the same time

p.s. on question two, I vote strongly in favor of all five options, I only ranked them because you made me :)

Wizzly_Bear
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Question 1
wanting to play with other people who are familiar and skilled.

Question 2

Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)expanded existing
new quests
new systems
revamped
events
in order of importance from most up top to least on bottom

Question 3
failry indifferent to monks. nothing special good or bad. i guess i kind of view them as weaker versions of paladins. once we get 2 more character slots though, i do intend to play one.

MrWizard
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Question 1

dungeons. DnD like game.
and as others stated, sure would be nice if the referal program really gave you a deal. I stopped after getting shafted the first time.

Question 2

[0]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
[0]Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
[0]New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
[1]Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
[0]Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

I would rather see new dungeons, not like the raid stuff in mod 7

Question 3

watching them all go incap is fun.
zerging hard with monk...takes too long to kill anything.

Vormaerin
06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE} This week's question(s) are:

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult? [/QUOTE]

1) Well, I mostly have invited folks that I already enjoy playing other games with. So the main reason is camaraderie, though having a solid group of regulars to do quests with is a nice perk. The real reason remains that its fun to spend time with those people.

2) In order of importance to me: a) new Quests b) revamped regions c) new systems 4) expanding existing systems (none of the examples interest me..) 5) Events.

3) I can't say that I've spent much time playing with monks so far. I'm not inclined to start one at the moment (usually just play 1-2 characters at a time and I'm liking the two I'm playing at the moment). Mostly been doing 3BC since the mod came out and none of my friends' monks are ready for that, as they've been having RL issues cutting into their play time this last couple weeks.

Dark_Helmet
06-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

1) Based on games already playing (but they have all left due to variance from core rules).
2)

Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.).. distant last for PvP!

3) N/A Not playing them since trying one on Risia. May give it a chance when we finally get slots, so that means months if ever.

Hakushi
06-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Question 1

It's a fun game, it's D&D, good character customization.

Question 2

Question 3

I havn't teamed with monks yet, but with some of them getting to lvl 13, it will become the case very soon. They seems fun and different from the other characters. I would have tried one myself, but I don't want to delete a character and I'm not interrested to go on another server, so monks will wait for me untill I can create one without getting rid of an existing character.

Beherit_Baphomar
06-11-2008, 07:40 AM

Question 1
If you could pick two things from Pen and Paper D&D to add to DDO, what would they be? - The pen and the paper.

Question 2
Tell us about your most and least asthetically pleasing outfits (screenshots if possible!): Screenshots are not possible, but not required for this either. Why cant you guys make ANYTHING symmetrical? Huh? Either you get a big frilly arm....blob...or you get a 1970's flare on one leg. C'mon man.

Question 3

Question 4

Question 1

Question 2

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) Important.
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) Important.
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) Absolutely thee most important.
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) Meh.
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) Meh, but not as meh as Revamping.

Question 3
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks? What are some Monk experiences that you are finding difficult? I havent really quested with many monks, the ones that I have are polar opposites of each other. One owns VON's the other just...kinda looked like a paladin in MC Hammer pants.

Answers in Where The Hell Have You Been Beherit Red.

ccheath776
06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Question 1

The fact that I am playing with people that I know and who I can trust to make the experience enjoyable. Not some griefers who will only make my play time miserable. Its also nice to be out of game and talking about mutual likes and having them understand me when I say "Finally monks in DDO" and not get laughed at.

Question 2

- Expanding existing systems
- Revamped regions
- Events
- New quests
- INtro of new systems

Question 3

Just the fact that they are here is the best experience I have had. The best single moment was sneaking up to a kobold and laying a Kung fu chop with a ki strike of fire and watching them drop. I just thought "Monkified". Worst experience is figuring out the different Ki abilities and using them. Melee with click actions is a bit tough, learning it in steps but it was a little funky to begin with.

Deriaz
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Question 1

Well, I don't usually convince others to play with me. But others convince me to play with them, by talking about team aspects, customization, etc.. Those kinds of things.

Question 2

Just a note, though: When I say "New Quests" as the highest one, that doesn't mean I like huge explorer areas. Yes, they were nice -- last mod. Now we've got so many, it's getting excessive. What happened to adding quests to existing areas? Why do we have to add quests to whole giant areas and have to go find them, or better yet, revamp a perfectly good area entirely to make it huge? I like some of the quests that are just inside Stormreach's walls. Heck, add some more quests to existing explorer zones. You don't need a new one every Mod, though, in my opinion.

Question 3

I haven't group much with Monks. I like the animations. Some of the stories some people have for Monks are actually pretty interesting, too. Otherwise, it seems like there are too many combos to remember in the whole system. . . To me, at least.

-D

chaossdragon
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Question 1
Everyone is hell bent on numbers for weapons, and I feel we should also have more based for theme or concept.. IE Whips, Spiked Chains, Bladed Gauntlets, various others. Prestigue Classes... and i know this is a third thing but Psionics

Question 2
its not so much the outfits that are displeasing but the fact that everyone wears practically the same thing, Maybe set up a method to dye the armors as we wish based on 6 textures. cloth1/2 leather1/2 metal1/2 (yes its NWN style). This would allow for more diverse and personal color choices.

Question 3
Don't really read it that much, but some RP style player based essays would be interesting.

Question 4
What is the average wind speed velocity of a coconut laden sparrow?

Question 1
i don't have to convince others. they follow me like a flock...

Question 2

5 Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
1 Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
2 New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.)
3 Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)
4 Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

Question 3
I love the way Turbine envisioned monks but atm it leans very heavily towards healing aspect and not so much on the destruction aspect. the over priced rates on AH by all players for the new monk gear... come on be reasonable...

Baervan
06-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Question 1
What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to play Online games with you??

Doesn't apply to me. From my point of view you either want to play online or don't.

Question 2

Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)?Expanded existing systems, New Quests, Revamped regions, Events, Introduction of new systems.

Question 3

I've tried monks but I really don't have enough interest in them to stick with that class to high levels. Running with them is ok I suppose, the only knock against them is that at low levels they really slow groups down with their meditation before every big fight. Increasing meditation speed would help gameplay.

DasLurch
06-13-2008, 11:18 PM

Question 1

I haven't had much luck in getting any of my friends to come back to DDO. I'm still here and happy for the most part, with the exception of the newwest mod. As far as getting others to play with me? I'd have to go with my normally sunny disposition. :cool:

Question 2

1) New Quests (NOT JUST RAIDS!!!)
2) New Quests
3) New Quests
4) Bug Fixes
5) Intoduction of new AND expansion of existing systems (this should be considered the same thinig IMO)
6) Events
7) New Quests
8) Revamping old areas

Question 3

Sadly, I am unable to really discuss this at this time. The addition of monks is essentially a complete waste to me. Not because I do not want to build one, but because it would cause me to destroy an old character to play one. I didn't have a new char slot to use to play with one, and I still haven't decided if it is worth it to me to delete an old one I have in order to play around with one. I still can't understand why there was no slot added with the new Mod, but I also can't understand why people think a Mod has 3 new quests in it either. It was, to my thinking, a really bad decision to release the mod with so few new quests in it, and the combination of no new char slot has really limited the benefit I have seen from this new Module. As this stands for me, this was the worst update added yet to this game since I really only got to play around with the new 3 barrel so far. If you've ever read any of my responses in the past on my thoughts about the outdoor areas, you have a fairly accurate idea of what my expierience has been concerning this update that included a new class I can't play yet. So I would guess that my new "Monk expieriences" are about zero at this time because of the incredibly poor planning that went into the application of this latest module. Before the module was released, I was playing an average of 15-20 hours a week. Since It has come out, I've played maybe 10 hours total. That does have some other factors going into it (real life can be a real pain sometimes), but the decline is also because I've now been running the same quests for about 8 months and where the only new thing to do would cause me to destroy something that I had spent a large amount of time building. Where's the fun in that? I know it's not really the response that you were looking for, but as hopeful and eager about the monk class that I might have been, I just can't help but feel like the entire Module was nothing but a complete failure to me from the things I look forward to in a new update. I would say somewhat jokingly, that the people who came up with what to include with this new mod only found a way to make me yearn for more updates like the necropolis series again. And that is just pathetic.

DasLurch
06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
I know I answered this one already, but I want another crack or 2 at it since we've had a new update show up since then.

Question 4 (round 1)

Q - How many new quests do you (ME :D ) think should be included in an update to be considered a Module.

A - The answer would be more than 10, less than 25. Any more than that, and it would feel like I'm getting a whole new game. That would please me more than I can rightly explain at this time, so I will just dream about it for now. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of more than 25 being added, it just wouldn't feel like an addition to what we have already is all. It would feel like a sweet sweet gift from the people who made a game I spend waaaay too much time playing or discussing here each week, and ultimately make it feel like a new expeirience. Much the way CoV felt after I had been stomping around Paragon City for countless hours. The whole expierience changed with that much new stuff added.

Question 4 (round 2)

Q - If you like playing the "Devil's Advocate", can you come up with an arguement to not include a new character slot in this update for the monk class that would make sense and seem like a good idea at the same time?

A - No, I truly cannot.

Kistilan
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
It's time again!

Question 1

The quality of the person IRL. I don't want to play with people I don't get along with IRL, so I don't invite them. Also, whether that person would be interested in an online game in the first place. I don't invite a guy that doesn't like RPGs in general or fantasy stuff to play DDO.

Question 2

Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags) 1.
Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.) 2.
New Quests (Subterranean, Three Barrel Quests, etc.) 5.
Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills) 3.
Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.) 4.
Question 3

I've found that monks are fun to watch, but I really haven't seen anything good or bad. They're just really neat animations so far to me. I'm much more interested in the Druids & Half-Orcs/Other Races coming later. Monk is Monk. It's another class to fill in the non-requisites. Maybe later it will be a staple class for a quest but currently I don't see it as imperative to any PUG/Quest.

deathstalker1
06-17-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm adding a blog that I have posted in several different forums, I'm not trying to cause problems for anyone nor am I trying to promote one game over another. but I feel the need to express my own opinion so that developers(an wannabe when I grow up delver's) Here a soft little squeak of a voice from one of the minor mynorities.(plz forgive my spelling) I am also very aware that not being a developer I'm not aware of all the pains, headaches,etc that are involved in the creation an maintaining of a o/l game (an I have no doubts that most of them buy tylenol an rolaids in bulk:) ) Anyway here are my thoughts on creating the perfect game based on my last 8yrs of trial an error of the ones I have played,etc. and any of the developers that wish to ask me more detailed or insightful questions are more than welcome. You be surprised how gratifying it is to know that someone is actually listening an actually cares more about your thoughts an ideas than what's in your wallet(sorry for the borowed phrase). anyway here is the copy of the post.

"I've played a variety of games over the years, looking for that one game that just makes me want to stop eating for a month an buy a lifetime membership. Now for me I'm partical to D&D type games(and no I don't care for WOW),So far I have narrowed it down to 2 DDO(Dungeons&Dragons Online:Stormreach) and GuildWars. Now I really enjoy these games(minus the drama that sometimes occurs when putting lots of ppl in 1 place, not everyone is gonna get along, it's just a fact of life)
So to me the following is what I have decided is the best of both games, so therefore being my Idea of the near perfect PC game.
ok for starters lets get rid of the monthly fee(as with GW), guilds should have capes that can be seen on it's members,however if you create 2 or more characters each should be independant enough that each toon may be in a different guild(as with DDO), there should be NPC henchmen that you can add in order to have the option of runing solo or with live ppl(as with GW),there should be new modules(adventures,etc) added on a regular basis(as with DDO), however they need to make money as well, so there should be an in game store where you can purchase bonus packs, extra character slots, etc.(as with GW)
Now your probably asking yourself why I took the time to write this? Well the answer is simple really, most gamers I've found are between ages 8 to mid 20's, but there is an increasing number of older players coming in to this genre,(an alot of them as like me are very tech-challenged:) lol) and these younger generations are going to grow older an still want to play, but like myself are on a fixed income( which means a very tight budget). So all you Developer's an wannabes might want to take this into serious thought when creating ur next game."

There is more that I'd add but will save it for another time, But I hope that this helps in some way for the future not only of DDO but of the future of PC o/l games in general. And thanks for taking the time to listen to the ramblings of one old man voice in a sea of millions of gamers.

Alcides
06-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Question 1

DDO is a party centric game, playing it by yourself requires a lot more time and is very difficult. Guilds are a wonderful addition to this game.

Question 2

[3]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
[5]Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)

Question 3

The new monk class has a great deal of variety built into it. I've seen several successful lower level builds, and I'm still interested to see some successful higher level monk builds.

Monk AC is on the lowside, Wind Stance attack speed doesn't stack with other attack speed increase, the two weapon fighting feat line does not work with unarmed attacks.

Samy
06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Question 1
If I play an online game, that is enough to get me to recruit others. There is nothing particular within an online game that makes me *more* likely to recruit others. If I play, then I try to recruit. That's it. Capped. Nothing more can be done. Offering incentives like "play a month free if you bring a friend" make me feel like I'm taking advantage of my friend and I shy away from them because of that.

Question 2
Top being most important, bottom being the least important.

I should note though, the bottom two are unimportant to me, and of the middle one, PvP is unimportant. I don't need the red ones. Crafting, I want an expanded system closer to PnP, and favor, well I'm always looking for new quests to give me more favor.

But I hope it is taken into account that many things most needed by the game are *not* represented by the question. Druids, half-elves, half-orcs, gnomes, PnP crafting (potions, wands, scrolls, by expending money and xp), randomized traps, level cap raise, new spells, all would come in at #2 or even #1 above even new quests, depending. Please note that the question did not allow us to answer those, and that if they'd been allowed, they would have been far above most of the stuff on the list.

Question 3
I have no problems playing with monks. I have some problems playing as a monk, though. Most notably, the ki wears off too fast, pushing you towards zerging gameplay rather than thinking strategic gameplay. I'd prefer to unleash my ki less often, for more powerful results, than keep unloading it all the time for fear of it wearing off otherwise. Also, building up to the finishing moves is an added complication in an already too chaotic battle. If this were turn-based, it'd be much more entertaining to build up a finishing move, but with the fast-paced real time, there just isn't time to think about attack combos.

deathstalker1
06-18-2008, 04:47 AM
Question 1_
What is something that strongly motivates you to convince others to
play Online games with you?
Answer: Altough I'd kind of like to see a little more character driven story lines(perhaps with a few short vids added to help it along) For me who primaraly plays rogues an fighters(fewer things for the tech/game-challenged old guy to keep track of) The quests are (to me) set up to where it's near impossible to complete all but the very basic ones without assistance from other players. Which for me is a major issue, since I keep very odd hours and is hard to find ppl of like mind to run with, normally I end up getting fursterated because I'm playing with a much younger group (kids 12 to 16) that don't or don't want to take time to explore everything, they just want to run in, do it an get out, so I end up lost or losing out on the extra pts for breakage, hidden doors, etc. cause I'm too busy just runing to keep up.

DDO is a party centric game, playing it by yourself requires a lot more
time and is very difficult. Guilds are a wonderful addition to this
game.(I still think that if your wearing a cape it should show up on ur character(both in game an the still prior to entering)

_Question 2_

* [4]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
[5]Expanded existing systems (crafting, PvP, Favor, etc.)
[3]Events (Tent event, Race to the Subterranean, etc.)

_Question 3_
With the influx of Monks to the community at large, what have you found
to be the best experiences either grouping with or playing with Monks?

Answer: Since I love playing rogues, I like the monk build because so far(I'm still experimenting with 1st build atempt) It allows me the ability to jump into the fray of battle without being as squishy as most rogues tend to be. the 2 downside factors are 1) you can only fight what is directly in front of you, and the targets won't stay put an fight (as the do with other classes) so your constantly haveing to try to stay turned toward target, run after it, while paying attention to hp and all the other stuff.
One final note I'd like to add, an this applies to all of my rogue builds as well as my new monk, reguardless of whether the "rewards based on class" option is on or off, I am constantly getting stuff for fighters an clerics, etc. rather than things that are beificial to my character (be it rogue or monk), I'd say probably 85% of chests an drops are fighter or cleric based rather than rogue or monk based, end rewards usually have at least 1 or 2 items class based, but are of the "dime a dozen" veriaty.

buckler
06-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Question 1

Answer: Something that motivates me to convince my companions to play the same online game as myself, would have to be seeing how we work as a group. As well as this, playing a game with a few companions can make the gaming experience more enjoyable as a whole.

I too find that guilds are a great addition as you get the opportunity to run with the same people, as well as this you usually pick up tactics to make yourself a better player in general.

Question 2

[3]Introduction of new systems (Bounty bags)
[5]Revamped regions (Three Barrel Cove, Cerulean Hills)

Question 3

Answer: I have not as yet had any bad experience running with monks. I have not played a monk very much as of yet and will not know if i will enjoy the play style until I try it.
However, i have noticed that lately at the hours i usually play there are barely any level 8-10 groups.