PDA

View Full Version : +5 Mithral Full Plate, Heavy Fort AND Protection +4???

Thrudh
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that new plate mail from the new raid is just a bit ridiculously over the top??

I mean +5 Mithral Full Plate all by itself is currently a very nice item

+5 Mithral Full Plate with Heavy Fortification OR +5 Mithral Full Plate with Protection +4/+5... either of those would be super nice...

But

+5 Mithral Full Plate, Heavy Fort AND Protection +4 ??!!!???

yikes....

ArkoHighStar
06-09-2008, 08:01 AM
actually I look at it as +6 MFP, as everyone will be putting the crafting bonus on it, since it is bound anyway

Bombalo
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah but the way I look at it is even with the heavy fort on your armor are many people really going to give up Minos??? I mean there aren't that many nice helms for melee types anyway. And if thats the case the fort goes to waste. The protect +4 is nice but the people that need protection items (AC builds) will have a +5. To me this raid loot goes into the category of most everything else dropping out of the new raids (nice to combine slots but no special attributes). All in all I think the raid loot is nice but I'm kinda disappointed with the fact that it doesn't have any new effects (that we know of yet)

Gol
06-09-2008, 08:10 AM
actually I look at it as +6 MFP, as everyone will be putting the crafting bonus on it, since it is bound anyway
Heh, at least they're giving me a reason to raid on my cleric. There wasn't a point to bringing him into Shroud so it'll be fun to play him again.

Actually, I've ignored 2 of my 3 high-level guys since the Shroud came out, but I'll be taking them both through the new raids for the loots.

Talcyndl
06-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah but the way I look at it is even with the heavy fort on your armor are many people really going to give up Minos??? I mean there aren't that many nice helms for melee types anyway. And if thats the case the fort goes to waste. The protect +4 is nice but the people that need protection items (AC builds) will have a +5. To me this raid loot goes into the category of most everything else dropping out of the new raids (nice to combine slots but no special attributes). All in all I think the raid loot is nice but I'm kinda disappointed with the fact that it doesn't have any new effects (that we know of yet)

Yup...I wouldn't wear it on my high AC fighter since it would cost me +1 from the +4 protection.

My Barbarian might wear it, but only to free up the +5 Protection slot. He's still wear Minos Legends.

Illuminati
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Absolutely. I know I didn't want to 'attune' any +5 mith fp (that is good looking) so its an awesome item IMO.

Inspire
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Im More Irked About... No New Docents In Either Raid!

ArkoHighStar
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM

it falls under the category of consolidating bonuses, the minos helm's toughness bonus at high levels is not huge, unless you are using it to bypass not having to take the feat andthen take toughness enhancements, again the loss of 1 AC to gain 2 possible gear slots, with which you can fill up with green steel items etc, is not that bad

sirgog
06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that new plate mail from the new raid is just a bit ridiculously over the top??

+5 Mithral Full Plate with Heavy Fortification OR +5 Mithral Full Plate with Protection +4/+5... either of those would be super nice...

But

yikes....

If you think it's broken, compare it to the White Dragonscale Fullplate.

They are roughly equal in power level IMO.

Angelus_dead
06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
You're not alone in that opinion- but you are wrong.

Yes, it's a good item, and an improvement over some past options, which is appropriate since it comes from a higher-level raid than existed in DDO before. But compared to the stuff we got in module 6 or even module 4, it isn't excessive.

Mithral fullplate is like fp+5 with +2 more AC if you have enough dex.
In module 4 there was White Dragon Plate, which has +1 AC above fp+5 without you needing dex, and which also has prot 4 and cold 30 on it. That was three modules ago, and is nearly as good (plus you don't need to kill Sulumoody to get it)
In module 6 there was Mineral II clothing, which has prot 5 and heavy fort, plus some other bonus of your choice (probably extra hitpoints). Basically if you had any other +5 mith fp with a side bonus on it (like Fire Guard or Fearsome) then combining it with a mineral II item would be much better than this defender.

In fact, one could say this new Defender Fullplate is a little underpowered compared to the other new armors in mod7. It's not underpowered if you don't have a bard, because otherwise it's giving you +2 on attack rolls. But when there is a bard (like in 98% of raids), then it gives a much weaker combat bonus than the other armors do.

Illuminati
06-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Shhh.... you have the best Armor still in game. Enjoy it while you can and stop being so 'defiant' =p

Aspenor
06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Personally my fighter will not even bother to roll on this full plate, and will stick to his vanilla +5 mfp with a +1 alchemy bonus, and will rely on a Mineral II cloak instead. Hopefully I can pick up some true seeing goggles with him now that there are more than just the DQ goggles.

Angelus_dead
06-09-2008, 08:28 AM
If you think it's broken, compare it to the White Dragonscale Fullplate.
They are roughly equal in power level IMO.
Not equal, the new armor is better. But the new armor came out about a year later, so of course it's better.

The fact that DDO items are more powerful than you could get at the same level in D&D shouldn't surprise anyone at this point. At level 10 people were getting +6 stat items with another useful bonus on it, after all.

ArkoHighStar
06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Not equal, the new armor is better. But the new armor came out about a year later, so of course it's better.

The fact that DDO items are more powerful than you could get at the same level in D&D shouldn't surprise anyone at this point. At level 10 people were getting +6 stat items with another useful bonus on it, after all.

the main difference is the grind to get scales to then get the armor, as less people do the tor, getting scales becomes a matter of probably a longer grind than getting the armor to drop in the new raid, which will be heavily travelled till mod 8 comes out

QuantumFX
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM

But

yikes....

We currently have the potential of getting +5 MFP of Heavy Fort on the random tables so a raid item needs to be a step up.

Inspire
06-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Shhh.... you have the best Armor still in game. Enjoy it while you can and stop being so 'defiant' =p

My Cleric Feels Pretty 'Defiant' When He Cant Catch Up With The Rest Of The Dang Party!

Tin_Dragon
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Where is the WF love?

No new Docents, no Battle Fists, no uber extra HPs, why God why?!

Dexxaan
06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I wouldn´t see this as a bad thing... the way I see it, more Clerics and Fighters wearing +5 MFP will get this Raid item and all those who claim "I´ve never pulled a set of +5 MFP and probably never will" need to save their penny and start looking because a lot will be on the AH and in trade threads. (trickle down economics)

If you want top dollar for your current set of +5 MFP..... the time to sell and trade is now.

samagee
06-09-2008, 09:52 AM
My Cleric Feels Pretty 'Defiant' When He Cant Catch Up With The Rest Of The Dang Party!

The party should be sticking close to the cleric and also letting the trap monkey sniff out the traps.

sirgog
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
If you want to talk about overpowered raid loot, the TWF Rogue or Ranger goggles take the cake, IMO.

True Seeing - potent effect, nice to have on all the time
+15 to various trapsmithing skills - minor bonus, but useful
Possible set effect - minor bonus
Sneak Attack +5 - Excluding an appropriate Greater Bane, Sneak Attack +5 is probably the best modifier a one-handed weapon can get. These goggles give it to you free, adding +8 to damage on most attacks (not to mention +5 accuracy). (Compare this to Greater Bane, which adds 14.5 damage and 4 accuracy to one weapon only).

Boldrin
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
It's cool, but not really great, +4 prot is ok, but +5 is better, everyone already wears Minos helm or Mineral item for heavy fort... and you get HPs out of those too. I guess if you want to lose 18 Hps you could get rid of helm and stick something else there, and if you want to get rid of your +5 prot item it'll open up a slot.... but what are you really gonna put in it's place?

Angelus_dead
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
If you want to talk about overpowered raid loot, the TWF Rogue or Ranger goggles take the cake, IMO.
It's misleading to call them rogue/ranger. Those goggles are for everybody with a weapon.

In_Like_Flynn
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Posts like this make me think of billionaires arguing about their Bentleys.

Yes, it jealousy.

Selinius
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Meh, personaly I want the banishing outfit on my barb. Running around the vale with a set of punturing rapier that now have banishing on them, mmmm....... Makes me drool

sirgog
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
It's misleading to call them rogue/ranger. Those goggles are for everybody with a weapon.

Yep, agreed.

aurus33
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM

True Seeing - potent effect, nice to have on all the time
+15 to various trapsmithing skills - minor bonus, but useful
Possible set effect - minor bonus
Sneak Attack +5 - Excluding an appropriate Greater Bane, Sneak Attack +5 is probably the best modifier a one-handed weapon can get. These goggles give it to you free, adding +8 to damage on most attacks (not to mention +5 accuracy). (Compare this to Greater Bane, which adds 14.5 damage and 4 accuracy to one weapon only).

+15 Search and +15 Spot

and combined with another of the items (dont remember the name) you get ghost touch (like the bracers from Ghost of Perdition) :D

sirgog
06-10-2008, 02:01 AM
+15 Search and +15 Spot

and combined with another of the items (dont remember the name) you get ghost touch (like the bracers from Ghost of Perdition) :D

Yep, that's the two minor abilities on it.

I paid no attention to anything other than the Sneak Attack +5 at first - even with just that they'd be the best melee goggles in the whole game. Then I realised they had True Seeing thrown in for free - and trapsmithing skills too...

Auran82
06-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Yep, that's the two minor abilities on it.

I paid no attention to anything other than the Sneak Attack +5 at first - even with just that they'd be the best melee goggles in the whole game. Then I realised they had True Seeing thrown in for free - and trapsmithing skills too...

The set bonus also gives you -20% to your Melee hate, which is nice for a rogue getting his backstab.

llevenbaxx
06-10-2008, 06:59 AM

Grrr... I didnt notice until now. That does kinda suck.:(

Inspire
06-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Some Do Not Share Your Oppinion, They Think It Should Be Better!

Note: I Think The Raid Loot Is Fine.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=149590

Kaldaka
06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Come on, protection +4 with +5 mith full plate and heavy fort? Excuse me if I don't jump for joy.

The only thing this does is free up 2 slots ... necklace or whatever slot that had +5 protection on it and the helmet slot that had the minos legens on it. To a few builds this might be nice, but to many others it doesn't make a difference.

Besides we all know that AC doesn't really matter much at the end game anymore .....