PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Guilds...

chameleon007
06-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Here's a suggestions I made in the DDO Development thread...I'm curious what other ideas people have on this subject and if they generally agree that more could be done here:

I would love to see more game play and options available to guilds. I believe there is a another dimension of the game that would really come to life if guilds had more options and goals to work toward. Let me give a few examples:

1)I would love to see guilds able to bank money and items. This would add some really cool possibilities. First of all, guilds could share items more easily if this were available. Second, guilds could even operate a trade business overseen by the guild leader and its officials. Guilds may offer better prices for certain items, could post wanted items or items of interest a guild is looking to purchase. A guild could also sell items to members or non-guild members. This would create an economy within stormreach via free-commerce of guilds.

2) I would also love to see a ranking, favor or "status" for guilds. This would give guilds goals to strive for. For example, "status" of the guild could be calculated by a number of factors including: number of members, wealth, combined levels of its guild members, number of officials, quests completed and perhaps even a "merit" system where non-members of a guild can "merit" or "demerit" a guild based on members actions good or bad. Then you could provide some incentives for guilds high status acheivements such as: +1, 2 0r 3 intimidation bonus to members of a guild with high status as their reputation proceeds them. Perhaps members of high guild status get a slightly better price on purchases as they are well known within the realm, so on and so forth. Furthermore, Guilds could enhance status by participating and even more so succeeding or winning guild competitions...which brings me to #3

3) There should be guild competitions! Some that are arena battle competitions where members of different guilds compete individually and as teams for prizes and guild status bonuses, etc. There could also be raid levels or guild "gauntlets" specifically for guilds where only members of the same guild can enter. They could then be ranked on factors such as fastest completion, number of monsters killed, traps disabled, secrets found, etc. This would add a competition aspect within guilds.

4) And lastly, the holy grail of guild status acheivements...It would be awesome if the select few guild with hordes of gold, members and the most elite of status could strive to purchase a guild headquarters on the stormreach server. This would be the ultimate of acheivements! From there, that guild could perhaps offer a few unique quests to the community as well as maybe even a quest that must be completed to become eligible for membership of that guild. Perhaps even a resident priest who can ressurect guild members there. I think that would be a quest any stormreach citizen would strive to acheive.

Anyhow, there is my rant...

Thanks for reading.

Deriaz
06-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Number 1: Eh. . . If you can provide a way that a guild won't get conned out of money and items by a new player joining, emptying it, and leaving, I'd like it. . . Maybe, say, they have to be in the guild for 3 months?

Number 2: Not liking number 2. It basically rings, to me, of "Hey, we're better than you. And we get bonuses because we're winning in the popularity contest." As fun as competition is (For example, this past Mod's Race to the Subterranean), when you give bonuses for it, it's becomes annoying, or a popularity contest (Depends on the situation.). Using the Mod again, yay, Thelanis won. They get bragging rights -- but that's it. No trophy, no money for everyone, no giant firework display. . . Just a simple "You won the race!" When you give bonuses, like that +1, 2, or 3 to Intimidate. . . It becomes a popularity contest. Or just a cheap way to get a bonus to skills. (Plus, I can see the abuse. One guild gets mad at a guild that's high status. They all down-status the guild. Then drama all around.)

Number 3: I guess I would like this. This actually has, like, the competitive aspect to it. It isn't a "status" kind of thing, but rather almost like a skill challenge. So long as the prizes aren't humongous (So, basically, no +3 tomes to everyone, no massive statue, etc.), but rather small like, say, maybe different colored armor that they can wear or something, it'd be nice. (I've never been a fan of competitions, though. So my ideas may be a little biased. :x)

Number 4: Great idea, till it was added in that only a "select few" could have it, and they get to make quests and stuff. . . Just a normal guild house where the guild can hang out or something would be fine. But give it to everyone -- why should only a "select few" get something that so many could benefit from? And the quest for access to the guild. . . I dunno. No offense or anything, but it made me laugh. >>

Just my thoughts.

-D

Impaqt
06-08-2008, 12:25 AM
1: ALready suposedly in Development
2-4 No Thanks

Lorien_the_First_One
06-08-2008, 06:43 AM
2-4 No Thanks

Agreed.

1 could be useful

2-4 are elitest garbage.

Borror0
06-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Comments, 2-4 are... errrr... well... more trash to put more between guild competition to just put more tension on the server? No thanks.

dragnmoon
06-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Comments, 2-4 are... errrr... well... more trash to put more between guild competition to just put more tension on the server? No thanks.

good wholesome competıtıon ıs fun and rewardıng, ıt ıs when people get cocky about ıt when it becomes elıtıst garbage as some have saıd.

problem ıs i have seen very lıttle evıdıence that people can keep ıt at the good wholesome competıtıon level :D;):p

Borror0
06-08-2008, 06:55 AM
good wholesome competıtıon ıs fun and rewardıng, ıt ıs when people get cocky about ıt when it becomes elıtıst garbage as some have saıd.

problem ıs i have seen very lıttle evıdıence that people can keep ıt at the good wholesome competıtıon level :D;):p

I prefer sever competition than guild. Like that the trash stops when in-game and you don't problems.

ariel7
06-08-2008, 07:13 AM
I think a building in the marketplace labeled "Guild Headquarters" would work. Everyone goes in, and if non-guilded, they have the option to start one. If they ARE in a guild, then there is a communal vault, communal messaging system, etc. One building would work, since only members can enter that "instance". Should be simple enough to do.

RTN
06-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Doesn't LOTRO have an AH option to list items only to your own guild? That would be really nice and the tech should already exist inside Turbine. You could just list things really cheap for 3 days and if anyone wants it, they can buy it (or list things cheaper than you normally would to still make a little money but still help out guildies).

vainangel
06-08-2008, 08:48 AM
2-4 No Thanks

/signed

just so people whith more time can push us little guys around?
no thank you

Lorien_the_First_One
06-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Doesn't LOTRO have an AH option to list items only to your own guild? That would be really nice and the tech should already exist inside Turbine. You could just list things really cheap for 3 days and if anyone wants it, they can buy it (or list things cheaper than you normally would to still make a little money but still help out guildies).

That I wouldn't mind at all.... There's lots of stuff I don't really need that I'd be happy to list at 1cp for guildies (or at least at what I could see it for at a vendor if I need some cash :P )

vainangel
06-08-2008, 09:41 AM
That I wouldn't mind at all.... There's lots of stuff I don't really need that I'd be happy to list at 1cp for guildies (or at least at what I could see it for at a vendor if I need some cash :P )

i thought the point of a guild was to share resources...
i just mail whatever i am not going to use to another guild member if i know they will use it or need it.

charging for plat [even copper] to a guild member is silly.
trade with your guild, share with your guild...

shoot...I even just give things to PUG players I run across if I have and they need it or looking for it.
I am not greedy.

Aodh
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
i thought the point of a guild was to share resources...
i just mail whatever i am not going to use to another guild member if i know they will use it or need it.

charging for plat [even copper] to a guild member is silly.
trade with your guild, share with your guild...

shoot...I even just give things to PUG players I run across if I have and they need it or looking for it.
I am not greedy.

Prob is that it's a pain in the @@@ trying to figure out who needs/wants what. The AH would be nice because you can just throw everything in there and whoever wants it can take it.

vainangel
06-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Prob is that it's a pain in the @@@ trying to figure out who needs/wants what. The AH would be nice because you can just throw everything in there and whoever wants it can take it.

/signed
I was commenting on the person who wants to SELL his items to his guild.
If you are ina bad way with some gold, just ask a guild mate. How much plat do you really need?

Lorien_the_First_One
06-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Exactly :)

It may take a while to figure out if anyone in guild can use this +1 ghost touch great crossbow of disruption... its not great for most of us, but for the right build that's killer. I'd happily give it to a guildy who could use it if only I knew who they were....

RTN
06-08-2008, 10:53 AM
If you are ina bad way with some gold, just ask a guild mate. How much plat do you really need?

I typically give away things that people need that I don't. However, lets say you do a lot of loot runs, but guildies don't. You pick up some tomes (or ancestor ring, bloodstone, fire greaves, etc.) that you can sell for a bunch to buy that expensive item you really want (see previous list). You can A) give them away to your guildies that aren't trying to get them otherwise and not get the money you want or need; B) sell them on the auction house to make the most money without telling anyone and not help out guildies; or C) sell them on a guild only AH for less than market price and still make some money while helping out your guildies. If they reduced the fees on these auctions, that would be even better! :D

But mostly, rather than sending out a guild message and hoping the person that can use an item will see it, you can post something for three days for a really low price and people can check for it themselves. Or you don't have to make a post on your guild forums. No mailing, no meeting up to trade, etc. It's win win.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
/signed

Well not everyone has unlimited cash...and why go begging when you have things to sell?

So instead of getting 100K plat on the AH you think its somehow evil to ask a guilding for 10K, the same 10K a vendor would give you? Odd, very odd. I can't believe you see both sides in the guild sale win in that situation and that in a "begging" sitution no one wins.

vainangel
06-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Well not everyone has unlimited cash...and why go begging when you have things to sell?

So instead of getting 100K plat on the AH you think its somehow evil to ask a guilding for 10K, the same 10K a vendor would give you? Odd, very odd. I can't believe you see both sides in the guild sale win in that situation and that in a "begging" sitution no one wins.

see why do people do that here?

I have no issues neiter does anyone in my guilds giving over some plat.
I thought we were talkin about a bank not a AH.

It is not beggin if you say "Yo , I cannot pay for repairs, someone help out with some gold?"
If you are all trading and sharing blades armor and the like...why do you need plat?

Make on person the AH monkey for items the guild cannot use or something. I do not understand why anyone would want or need a million or more plat. just no reason for it.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
see why do people do that here?

I have no issues neiter does anyone in my guilds giving over some plat.
I thought we were talkin about a bank not a AH.

It is not beggin if you say "Yo , I cannot pay for repairs, someone help out with some gold?"
If you are all trading and sharing blades armor and the like...why do you need plat?

Make on person the AH monkey for items the guild cannot use or something. I do not understand why anyone would want or need a million or more plat. just no reason for it.

Well first off I didn't start the side track into the AH, I just commented on it. And its on topic, the topic was "lets talk about guilds" and that is a guild feature being discussed. Giving free or near free items to guildies is one way to share resources.

As for needing more than a million plat, no idea where you are comming from there. Maybe you are rich, not all of us are.

And the rest of your comments, go back and read what was being discussed because they don't appear to relate at all to what we were talking about for a guild related AH function.

vainangel
06-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Well first off I didn't start the side track into the AH, I just commented on it. And its on topic, the topic was "lets talk about guilds" and that is a guild feature being discussed.

As for needing more than a million plat, no idea where you are comming from there. Maybe you are rich, not all of us are.

And the rest of your comments, go back and read what was being discussed because they don't appear to relate at all to what we were talking about for a guild related AH function.

i was just sharin ideas

Nerate_Mireth
06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Based off of Idea #1 from the OP here's how things could work easily:

First off, integrate a RANKING system in the guild structure defined by the Guild Leader. This ranking would allow the guild leader to be able to assign ranks to members aside from Leader, Officer, Member. For example, in my guild we have the ranks: Duke, Count, Baron, Champion, Knight, Squire, Recruit. In the guild structure in game member could be given this rank which would then, in turn, allow options in a guild bank based on that rank. Possible options include:
View Bank - Allows member to see how much gold/plat is banked as well as items in bank. No withdrawl/deposits.
Deposit - Same as View but member has the option to deposit gold/plat and items.
Witdraw Gold - Same as above 2 but member can withdraw cash from the bank.
Widraw All - Same as above 3 but can withdraw items as well.

This would keep new members from joining, raiding the bank and leaving. It would also insure some security for the guild.

With the ranking system, the guild leader could then set a new rank and get a box that would show guild bank options and guild management options (ability to recruit, promote, etc). Then the guild leader can select a rank for each member.

Yes, setup could be a bit of a pain but in the long run, I think alot of guilds would like this.

dragnmoon
06-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Based off of Idea #1 from the OP here's how things could work easily:

First off, integrate a RANKING system in the guild structure defined by the Guild Leader. This ranking would allow the guild leader to be able to assign ranks to members aside from Leader, Officer, Member. For example, in my guild we have the ranks: Duke, Count, Baron, Champion, Knight, Squire, Recruit. In the guild structure in game member could be given this rank which would then, in turn, allow options in a guild bank based on that rank. Possible options include:
View Bank - Allows member to see how much gold/plat is banked as well as items in bank. No withdrawl/deposits.
Deposit - Same as View but member has the option to deposit gold/plat and items.
Witdraw Gold - Same as above 2 but member can withdraw cash from the bank.
Widraw All - Same as above 3 but can withdraw items as well.

This would keep new members from joining, raiding the bank and leaving. It would also insure some security for the guild.

With the ranking system, the guild leader could then set a new rank and get a box that would show guild bank options and guild management options (ability to recruit, promote, etc). Then the guild leader can select a rank for each member.

Yes, setup could be a bit of a pain but in the long run, I think alot of guilds would like this.

that ıs sımılar to the way it was ın DAoC, beıng ın the guıld dıd not gıve you automatıc access to the bank, you had to earn that rıght... though there where stıll some cases of people doıng long ınfıltratıons to get that trust and steal from the guıld banks.. but ıt was rare.

Tin_Dragon
06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Here's a suggestions I made in the DDO Development thread...I'm curious what other ideas people have on this subject and if they generally agree that more could be done here:

I would love to see more game play and options available to guilds. I believe there is a another dimension of the game that would really come to life if guilds had more options and goals to work toward. Let me give a few examples:

1)I would love to see guilds able to bank money and items. This would add some really cool possibilities. First of all, guilds could share items more easily if this were available. Second, guilds could even operate a trade business overseen by the guild leader and its officials. Guilds may offer better prices for certain items, could post wanted items or items of interest a guild is looking to purchase. A guild could also sell items to members or non-guild members. This would create an economy within stormreach via free-commerce of guilds.

2) I would also love to see a ranking, favor or "status" for guilds. This would give guilds goals to strive for. For example, "status" of the guild could be calculated by a number of factors including: number of members, wealth, combined levels of its guild members, number of officials, quests completed and perhaps even a "merit" system where non-members of a guild can "merit" or "demerit" a guild based on members actions good or bad. Then you could provide some incentives for guilds high status acheivements such as: +1, 2 0r 3 intimidation bonus to members of a guild with high status as their reputation proceeds them. Perhaps members of high guild status get a slightly better price on purchases as they are well known within the realm, so on and so forth. Furthermore, Guilds could enhance status by participating and even more so succeeding or winning guild competitions...which brings me to #3

3) There should be guild competitions! Some that are arena battle competitions where members of different guilds compete individually and as teams for prizes and guild status bonuses, etc. There could also be raid levels or guild "gauntlets" specifically for guilds where only members of the same guild can enter. They could then be ranked on factors such as fastest completion, number of monsters killed, traps disabled, secrets found, etc. This would add a competition aspect within guilds.

4) And lastly, the holy grail of guild status acheivements...It would be awesome if the select few guild with hordes of gold, members and the most elite of status could strive to purchase a guild headquarters on the stormreach server. This would be the ultimate of acheivements! From there, that guild could perhaps offer a few unique quests to the community as well as maybe even a quest that must be completed to become eligible for membership of that guild. Perhaps even a resident priest who can ressurect guild members there. I think that would be a quest any stormreach citizen would strive to acheive.

Thanks for reading.

Its been asked before.
I can only point -----> http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=125823

Cendaer
06-09-2008, 01:51 AM

A guild vault of some kind to hold items would be cool. To hold coins, on the other hand, maybe not. A communal storage space is already going to be a target for ne'er-do-wells; no need to make it moreso by adding a pile of coins to the mix.

As to the idea of running a commercial venture, well, some players are already doing this rather effectively within the game as it exists today. (Shop Smart - Shop Qwijymart!) (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=127947) IMO, development efforts could be focussed on better things for the immediate future.

A truly exceptional guild will not need the game itself to tell everyone else how spectacular they are; their guild tag would be more than enough to garner all the respect and admiration they desire.

Actually, we've already seen several events that are sort of like what you're talking about, although nothing involving any exclusive guild-wide rewards that I can remember, other than the founders' helmets and the founding guilds' fountain in Aspirant's Corner. A sort of competitive guild fair would be interesting. A sort of jousting match kinda thing that could come around once a year, sort of like Festivus.

Wow. That sounds ambitious, giving players the tools to create their own dungeons, no matter how small they might be. Dunno if we stand a chance of ever seeing that from any MMO anytime soon. (Although, there is a game called Shadowbane, in which your guild can build whole towns, or even cities, and then also attack the towns and cities of enemy guilds.) The guild housing thing would be kinda cool. Guilds need a place to hang out, and they could be in any number of areas. Say... less expensive choices in the Harbor for smaller guilds, and then perhaps more expensive versions located in the Houses. Perhaps the Black Loch is an interesting step in that direction, giving us an alternative place to hang out/call home.

chameleon007
06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I am enjoying reading everyone's feedback in this area and wanted to attempt to summarize the general opinions and they stand so far as well as interject a few more personal opinions/clarifications:

1) It seems that most so far agree that guilds being able to inventory/bank items would be a nice feature overall given the proper checks and balances via rank of member (aka access to inventory) is in place. New members should not have access directly to the guilds supplies/bank. This should be a privledge earned by becoming an officer or "leadership" member of the guild, although all players members or non-guild members would be able to trade/ do business with a guild by speaking to the appropriate guild member. I've seen some difference of opinion about how people feel these inventories should be used by guilds, but I think that is a decision better left up to the guilds themselves to work out. Keeping in mind that this would just be a nice feature or option available. How it is used (if used at all) would be entirely up to the guild itself.

2) Banking money- Still up for discussion- There are pro's and con's here...but I believe this OPTION becomes necessary for a trade commerce available to guilds. Again, not ALL guilds would have to enable or use this option, I think though some might find it usefull. Perhaps having the option to promote guild members to "bankers" or "treasurers" would help keep a firewall in place to allow only the most trusted members of the guild have access to this option.

3) Guild "Status" or "Favor" and bonuses for high standing. General reaction is negative in this area. It seems most feel this might add an unwanted level of "elitism" to stormreach...understandable. I think in this area my thought was moreso as a reward system for "successful" guilds. My thought process here was under the impression that the most "successfull" guilds would be ones who actively promote and work to uphold the integrity of the game, the community, and all things good about stormreach. Having said that though, I am a fairly new member to online D&D play and respect the opinion of long time players who feel that there would be many who would abuse this feature and use it to belittle or hold themselves "elite" to other players. That is a sad, but quite possibly truthful reality to be considered. Although, I will through this out there on that note...The general essence of guilds as I understand it from pen and paper D&D is that they are unique, diverse, and fullfill and endless number of purposes that emulate the unpredictability and struggle that happens in the real world. For example, in pen and paper D&D, not all guilds are formed with "good intentions". Some have evil or negative goals "often NPC's" and have formed under the common purpose thieve or revolt. While others form to be the "defenders of the realm" so to speak. Others form because of common practice and sharing and learning and empowering their trade...aka thieves guilds, warriors guilds, or even "trade guilds" more interested in commerce and business" etc. It is the real life struggle between the different groups and guilds that add a level or reality. And to a certain extent, these different guilds keep each other monitored by their opposing interests. Anyhow, whether or not this aspect would be positive or not for stormreach I leave to players with much more experience then myself to decide...As for now though, as I said, the general opinion opposes such "ranking".

4) Guild Competions- Many seem to agree these could be fun and rewarding if done the right way. How about more ideas here....
I like the idea of having and annual festival very much like jousting matches of medeival times etc. Any more ideas?

5) Guild homes on stormreach or a general guild building where guilds can establish a home base or "office". Generally I think people like this idea. This is really the next step for guilds. In reality, an established guild should at least have a place to meet, lay its head, trade, ressurect, etc. More feedback here would be good. And specifically, more detailed ideas of the best way to accomplish this in stormreach.

samagee
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for reading.

Point 1 can be done with guild houses and lock down containers by security level.

point 2. This isn't wall street and we don't need visionly challanged CEOs selling us out in game as well.

point 3. I would like to see that, and I think the new 3BC would be a great place for it.

point 4. I am not sure about the quests for guild memebership. Sounds to college frat like for me.

bnrilfun
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Believe it or not EQ had a great Guild house setup. In which you could store items and money and depending upon what the allowed officers could do for setting some items to be free to all or free to certain classes or even taht you can assign something to a certain person to get at thier leisure.

The area was nice and it had crafting stations in it to allow for some crafting. Lastly it had a teleport station to certain zones and a seller so you could sell items and get mana/HP back.

These are all something that should be included in guild housing.

Also it would be good to have a leader board to show key information that the Guild leader may want to post such as what type of guild they are and maybe basic contact information.

Other kewl things I would like to see is inside the guild hall a board that shows the last time the guild ran a dragon raid and on what hardness, etc.

And finally a nice method for the guild to communicate in game information so that people know whats going on. A Calendar would be huge nothing fancy buy maybe a wall that shows when the next scheduled guild event was.

In_Like_Flynn
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
For example, "status" of the guild could be calculated by a number of factors including: number of members, wealth, combined levels of its guild members, number of officials, quests completed and perhaps even a "merit" system where non-members of a guild can "merit" or "demerit" a guild based on members actions good or bad. The rest of the post is no. This is very no.