PDA

View Full Version : A Vision of Destruction - Acid Fog

Borror0
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Ok, well I'm thinking to redo my sorc's spell selection for that raid.

Anyone tried Acid Fog on those bats? that's what wiped us today.

PS: An intimitank is neat versus those red names.:D

EDIT: D'oh, typo in the title.

Borror0
06-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Errr... anyone? Any clue?

Angelus_dead
06-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, well I'm thinking to redo my sorc's spell selection for that raid.

Anyone tried Acid Fog on those bats? that's what wiped us today.
Acid Fog has some positive effect. It also might contribute to the caster immediately dying from bat aggro. Or maybe he was going to die anyhow (which matches his track record). You probably already know they're immune to fire and mental effects. The caster in question didn't have Fire Shield Cold, and probably didn't have Firestorm Greaves. With those defenses, maybe it would've been sensible for him to absorb bat aggro.

Note that the bats have under 100 hitpoints, so they can possibly be killed with Blade Barrier or even Symbol of Death.

I have not tried Flesh To Stone on the bats. If that drops it into a statue without triggering a replacement bat to respawn, it could be good.

Borror0
06-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Acid Fog has some positive effect. It also might contribute to the caster immediately dying from bat aggro. Or maybe he was going to die anyhow (which matches his track record). You probably already know they're immune to fire and mental effects.

I knew for Fire, as I would have used Wall of Fire.

I wasn't with my caster the time we got there, but with my tank. Didn't have time to attempt it after. But from what I've heard, fear works agaisnt them... no? So, from what you're telling me it wasn't true? I'd just like to know about it. Anyway, those bats are annoying... I'd kill for Bramble Casters toi fight against them.

But if they are not immune to Acid, ACid fog might be quite decent in there. It slows down the bats and if I want, I can make Energy Manipulation III fit it without too much trouble. It has the bonus to work against the pit fiend too so, that would be bad. With Empower, Maximize and Superior Potency VI my Acid Fogs should average 45 damage per tick! (I'm assuming 2d3+6 there, but I'm not 100% that's the dices Turbine uses for it.) So, if I throw a few around just before they appear... they'll probably die before they get to me, right?

I'm also curious about Symbol of Death... but maybe they have Deathward?

I have not tried Flesh To Stone on the bats. If that drops it into a statue without triggering a replacement bat to respawn, it could be good.

Yes, but there like twenty out there so... not sure if the FtS would be even effective. Besides, it's totally chaos in there, no matter structure your guild is. It'd not be too rare to see a few bats dying for glancing blows and just an miis-aimed hit. I, honestly, doubt that it would work. Worth to give it a try though.

samho
06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I knew for Fire, as I would have used Wall of Fire.

I wasn't with my caster the time we got there, but with my tank. Didn't have time to attempt it after. But from what I've heard, fear works agaisnt them... no? So, from what you're telling me it wasn't true? I'd just like to know about it. Anyway, those bats are annoying... I'd kill for Bramble Casters toi fight against them.

But if they are not immune to Acid, ACid fog might be quite decent in there. It slows down the bats and if I want, I can make Energy Manipulation III fit it without too much trouble. It has the bonus to work against the pit fiend too so, that would be bad. With Empower, Maximize and Superior Potency VI my Acid Fogs should average 45 damage per tick! (I'm assuming 2d3+6 there, but I'm not 100% that's the dices Turbine uses for it.) So, if I throw a few around just before they appear... they'll probably die before they get to me, right?

I'm also curious about Symbol of Death... but maybe they have Deathward?

Yes, but there like twenty out there so... not sure if the FtS would be even effective. Besides, it's totally chaos in there, no matter structure your guild is. It'd not be too rare to see a few bats dying for glancing blows and just an miis-aimed hit. I, honestly, doubt that it would work. Worth to give it a try though.

Doesn't have chance to test Symbol of Death since I only have cle been there yet.. But if my memory serve me well, I don't think they have deathward when exanime -- in the other hand, I think an appropriated placed blade barrier should be able to take them out and last longer? If they do have 100 or less HP, a Maximize/Extended Blade Barrier should be able to take them out immediately even they make the save (240-ish damage if not save, 120 or such if they save). If this hypothesis works, as a cleric more than half the time, I would say I would rather use blade barrier to finish them than do mass cure multiple time :-)

Also, blade barrier doesn't have the long recast timer like what Symbol has (especially the Symbol of Death.. should have the longest re cast timer)

Wizzly_Bear
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Borror0
06-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I think an appropriated placed blade barrier should be able to take them out and last longer?

Acid Fog has the advantage of

not being broken.
slowing down the mobs.
damage not only the bats.
no save if they have Evasion.

Bunker
06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
an appropriated placed blade barrier should be able to take them out and last longer

Unless a fully acid/electric speced caster, a Blade barrier will do more dmg, but Acid Fog will indeed last longer then any blade barrier.

not being broken.
slowing down the mobs.

I think Acid Fog is a great idea for CC and one to be considered. Unless the mob has FoM, the spell works wonders.

stockwizard5
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Max/Emp Acid Fog looks like it killed all the bats late last night (both rounds). The slow effect + the damage was enough to take out their 150? HP ...

As for Blade Barrier - the Bats appear to have evasion and reasonably high saves.

Borror0
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Max/Emp Acid Fog killed all the bats late last night (both rounds) with no damage taken. The slow effect + the damage was enough to take out their 150? HP ...

As for Blade Barrier - the Bats have evasion and reasonably high saves.

Thank you, that's exactly what I thought I would be. :) Thanks man.

Dozen_Black_Roses
06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Ran it last night with Maelstrom, acid fog and bb worked great against the bats, pretty much took them right out instakill.

samho
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM

not being broken.
slowing down the mobs.

Hmm my original quote was compare with Symbol of Death.. :p

But that's right, the acid fog suppose to last longer than blade barrier (2+ mins vs 1+ mins), just not sure will the bat survive long enough before they hit anyone on the area. The plus side was it also slow the devil/orthon.

But do bat has evasion on the horned devil part? Just curious.

Borror0
06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Hmm my original quote was compare with Symbol of Death.. :p

Then, Acid Fog has no SR check. ;)

maddmatt70
06-09-2008, 05:20 PM
cone of cold. the bats are vulnerable to cold..

Borror0
06-09-2008, 05:22 PM
cone of cold. the bats are vulnerable to cold..

Evasion, plus it's easy to miss a few... so you got to cast... and recast... and... less SP-effective.

winsom
06-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Not all wizards have Symbol of Death, unfortunately. It does not seem to drop on scrolls.

I theorize that layering of Symbols of Death would destroy the bats as they appeared. The strategic importance of Symbols is they can be placed ahead of the arrival of the bats. The Horned Devil could be kept on one side of the battlefield to prevent him activating the Symbols in-waiting.

Acid Fog is great to have as well, but it can't slay bats as quickly as I suspect that Symbol of Death would.

Impaqt
06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Spell: Symbol of Death
You scribe a potent rune of power in the air. When the symbol is activated by a target approaching, one or more nearby targets are whose combined hit point totals do not exceed 150 hp are killed. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. A symbol will persist for about 5 minutes until triggered. Once triggered, a symbol's power begins to wane. A symbol will dissipate 20 seconds after first being triggered.

COmbined HP's..... So you MIGHT kill 2 Bats with a Symbol of Death.

Oran_Lathor
06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
That spell description is wrong, it will kill an infinite number of sub-150 hp mobs. I've seen it slaughter hordes of bats (in the vale, not the new raid, though).

Gratch
06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah... it will kill all the sub 150 hp mobs that fail sr and a save. But it also only lasts 20s after the first triggering.

Acid fog FTW.

Indel_Eventine
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Acid Fog has some positive effect. It also might contribute to the caster immediately dying from bat aggro. Or maybe he was going to die anyhow (which matches his track record). You probably already know they're immune to fire and mental effects. The caster in question didn't have Fire Shield Cold, and probably didn't have Firestorm Greaves. With those defenses, maybe it would've been sensible for him to absorb bat aggro.

Note that the bats have under 100 hitpoints, so they can possibly be killed with Blade Barrier or even Symbol of Death.

ANyone try cloudkill on them?

Angelus_dead
02-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Fun ole VOD newbie thread.

lishufeng86
02-02-2009, 03:26 AM
cloudkill and acid frog , easy to kill bats
i heard my friend(ratin) said his acid frog criticl 400+ damg

rimble
02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
A lot of creatures like ignoring the slow-movement aspect of my Acid Fog, it's pretty arbitrary. Some of the bats in VoD were doing that, but not all of them. Just using Acid Fog on the bats we wiped. Second time around I used Web and Acid Fog, worked great, was like the bats weren't even there.

WeaselKing
02-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Horrid Wilting will mess those bats up pretty good.

Kaldaka
02-02-2009, 09:00 AM

QFT ... Caster spamming this on every bat they 'TAB' to does wonders :D ...

Eternity25
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
My casters hardly die in VoD even when being hit by bats. However, it might be because I carry fireshield, web, acid fog, horrid wilting, and can UMD heal scrolls.

Solostoran
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
WHAT HE SAID

The_Phenx
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Spamming mass harm from clerics works very well too... max emp acid fog + heightened web...

Galapas
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
That spell description is wrong, it will kill an infinite number of sub-150 hp mobs. I've seen it slaughter hordes of bats (in the vale, not the new raid, though).

I've suspected that. I think that description is really supposed to be for Power Word Kill.

OneT
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Tossed up a symbol of death on my cleric, got an immune message from the bats so..... yeah no such luck there

Vengenance
02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Our guild runs VOD quite often and we've found that Acid Fog placed directly on the melee at the end of the fight will slow the bats, damage the bats (killing some), and most of all have them switch agrro to the caster giving the melee those extra few seconds needed to get an easy completion. The caster will sometimes die as a result, but our raids are always successful.

Blade Barrier just doesn't seem to be very effective since the bats have evasion and pretty high saves. When playing my cleric in there I have several times casted blade barrier with little to no effect. He has a 34 wisdom and blade barriers were heightened. Fire protection and mass heals are the ticket for clerics.

Borror0
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Fun ole VOD newbie thread.
I don't really get why you bumped that one....

Strakeln
02-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Not reading the entire thread, so if this was mentioned above, oh well.

I find the three best strategies for bats seem to be:

1) Heightened web
2) Archers with manyshot
3) THF barbarians

The first two are obvious, the last one is a function of glancing blows, swing radius, and damage per swing.

Edit: GAH! This is a resurrected thread! Makes more sense now...

gfunk
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Tossed up a symbol of death on my cleric, got an immune message from the bats so..... yeah no such luck there

Thats odd.. I know they dont have deathblock because I FOD them with my sorcerer all the time. I haven't tried symbol of death myself, but i have been in raids with reliable people who say it has been working (perhaps you were in on elite and maybe the bats have >150 hp on elite??)

Also, they have pretty good reflex saves so blade barrier isn't perfect.

I love the acid fog idea, I just have no desire to become energy spec'd so I'll probably never get to try it :(

In the mean time I'll stick with heightened web on my sorc and let the melees take care of them. On a side note (just to throw it out there to other casters), I notice that casters are often pretty stingy with their web in VOD. One or two webs can be pretty in-effective... I often see the party teetering on the edge of wiping when the caster has put down too few webs, and the bats are taking too long to die. I try and web the %&#$ out of the place before bat's part II come out (you can start extended/heightened webbing shortly after orthons round II to get enough in place). Really, at this point of the raid there is no purpose in saving mana. If the bats (round 2) are taken care of, you have pretty much guaranteed the success of your raid.

**edit.. bah stupid necro.. didn't notice

Borror0
02-05-2009, 12:26 PM
GAH! This is a resurrected thread! Makes more sense now...
Yah, this was posted 4 days after module 7.0 was released.:rolleyes:

Strakeln
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Yah, this was posted 4 days after module 7.0 was released.:rolleyes:Heh... yeah, I was really wondering why you'd be posting this (now), but didn't think to look at the date... :o