PDA

View Full Version : mod7: bland loot

Angelus_dead
06-07-2008, 05:54 AM
This is a minor thing, but after seeing some of the named loot from Module 7 I'll complain that it's bland in name, description, and appearance.

The appearance doesn't matter, because that takes much work to change, and it could be said that existing chainshirt/breastplate models didn't get enough use out of them. But it shouldn't be too hard to make up a bit of storyline for the items' histories, as was done for the named loot in all previous raids.

I mean, "Ring of Thelis- This ring was owned by a sorcerer named Thelis". Could it be more generic?

In addition, there is a total lack of named loot from Three Barrel Cove, which would've been an easy place to make fun pirate-styled items.

Angelus_dead
06-07-2008, 06:04 AM
More complaints on the new items:

* Minimal Proofreading: Tharne's Goggles are 15 spot, or 13? Lorrick's Necklace is called bracers. Levick's Bracers is called a necklace.

* Weak Caster combos: It seems to me that the set bonuses for Glacial Assault and Lorikk's Champion are so weak as to be almost meaningless. They give a 20% hp boost to one kind of spell at level 8 and below, such as Devotion VIII. Players do not look at a 20% boost as attractive, especially because a level 7 cure spell with devo 20% isn't better than a level 6 cure with devo 50%.

It's true that some of those items have other good bonuses on them, so it might not be necessary that the combo effect is really strong. But in the case of Lorikk's Champion, for example, that shield has basically no other advantage going for it.

sirgog
06-07-2008, 06:15 AM
I love the new items power-level wise, but I agree, the flavor text is a joke.

'This ring was owned by Thelis' and the items that simply have what they do rehashed in their flavor text = BAD design.

Auran82
06-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Man, they must have had a 3 year old do the proof reading on the items.

Levik's Bracers refer to themselves as a shield in the set text as well.

Qzipoun
06-07-2008, 06:34 AM
First thing I thought of when I saw the items, totally agree.

Hendrik
06-07-2008, 08:26 AM
People will find anything and everything to complain about.

Aspenor
06-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Considering how blantantly obvious these flaws are....and I noticed them as well...this should have been noticed.

First, the descriptions tell us again what we already know. Next, there are errors in the item descriptions.....blatantly obvious that this would be a bit iffy I'd think.

maddmatt70
06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
these are things that turbine should be complaining about, not us. they should have been done right in the first place.

I think it is more the bizarreness of the complaint. I mean there are SO many other more pressing things to have issue with, but instead the complaint is how the raid loot doesn't have creative naming. What about the fact the raids are absurdly easy and extremely short, or the fact that these are the only two high level quests and accompanying raidzone that was released this mod with 4 months since the last mod. By all means Turbine fix the raid loot naming issue get right on that...

Angelus_dead
06-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I think it is more the bizarreness of the complaint. I mean there are SO many other more pressing things to have issue with, but instead the complaint is how the raid loot doesn't have creative naming.
Good names/descriptions on ALL new items is a matter of 45-90 minutes work. There is nothing else they could do in 1 hour that would have such a payoff.

Strakeln
06-07-2008, 09:10 AM
A word of advice...

Every time I get a good dig into QA, someone like Slithe will show up and point out that QA found the bug, but that the fix couldn't be implemented in time for mod X (7 in this case).

So we should blame the fix-it department. :p

Luthen
06-07-2008, 11:54 AM

QFT. HOWEVER... Turbine does give a little to much ammunition a little to often.:p

Riddikulus
06-07-2008, 12:11 PM
These are some of the things that make DDO stand out from other MMOs.

If you start taking away all the good descriptions and story flavor from DDO all you'll end up with a bad version of WoW.

Qzipoun
06-07-2008, 12:15 PM

People will let anything and everything wrong with the game slide and provide no constructive criticism to improve the game.

query
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
where you wear the item called a "codpiece!"

And HEY, it's called the way of the MONK! Where the )(*&)(*& is the MONK ADVENTURE CONTENT?!

Now THAT is something they should have seen in 5 seconds.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
where you wear the item called a "codpiece!"

And HEY, it's called the way of the MONK! Where the )(*&)(*& is the MONK ADVENTURE CONTENT?!

Now THAT is something they should have seen in 5 seconds.

You gonna post that in every thread? What is "monk adventure content"? All content is for all classes, as it should be.

Twerpp
06-07-2008, 06:38 PM
For certain though they are uber as shiz. Our creative player base could come up with great descriptions too...if we had the chance.

MysticTheurge
06-08-2008, 09:57 AM
* Weak Caster combos: It seems to me that the set bonuses for Glacial Assault and Lorikk's Champion are so weak as to be almost meaningless. They give a 20% hp boost to one kind of spell at level 8 and below, such as Devotion VIII. Players do not look at a 20% boost as attractive, especially because a level 7 cure spell with devo 20% isn't better than a level 6 cure with devo 50%.

I was disappointed by that as well.

Gennerik
06-08-2008, 04:56 PM
While yes, there are issues with other parts of the game, half the part of having a named item is the story behind the item. DnD (and hopefully DDO) are based on storytelling. If you take out the storytelling, you might as well have just a generic MMO where all you do is just kill things. Having flavor text that simply tells you what the item does or gives you a pathetically generic description of the item is very disappointing.

And on the power levels, I don't have a problem with many of the items, but requiring two items to be equipped in order to get a 20% bonus to 8th level spells when you can just as easily outpower those spells (and cast them faster) with lower level spells. I could see having it just with one item, but if you have two, then they should increase the power to 50%.

Lithic
06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I could see having it just with one item, but if you have two, then they should increase the power to 50%.

I dont think anyone will be putting a gun to your head to make you wear both items. Sure its not a huge benefit to having both, but its not like the items you need to make the set are garbage.

I have to agree with AD here that the flavour text sucks for most of the raid Items I have seen posted. And I actually read all the flavour text I can in game:D

Snoggy
06-08-2008, 05:48 PM
This is a minor thing, but after seeing some of the named loot from Module 7 I'll complain that it's bland in name, description, and appearance.

The appearance doesn't matter, because that takes much work to change, and it could be said that existing chainshirt/breastplate models didn't get enough use out of them. But it shouldn't be too hard to make up a bit of storyline for the items' histories, as was done for the named loot in all previous raids.

I mean, "Ring of Thelis- This ring was owned by a sorcerer named Thelis". Could it be more generic?

In addition, there is a total lack of named loot from Three Barrel Cove, which would've been an easy place to make fun pirate-styled items.

This might be a byproduct of the crafting system. It's still being worked on heavily right? I mean, general crafting as well as current raid crafting and future raid crafting. So my thinking is maybe that's taking up some of the time that in the past would have been spent on these details of named loot.

I'm reminded of the multiple threads that Mod 6 spawned complaining about no new named items. These items might be a direct response to those threads (showing that the devs heard the complaints and responded). BUT, we're already knee deep in crafting, so they couldn't take the time needed for cool backstories, or ... ah ... minimal proofreading.

As a former editor by trade, typos do bug me. So it's good a thread like this exists.

Just trying to come up with a reason or two off the top of my head why Thelis' Ring would have such a lackluster ... history.

:P

Angelus_dead
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Behold! The descriptive text of the Subterranean raid loot has been updated to better reflect the dramatic and fascinating history of Xen’drik.
Maybe someone paid attention.

Gennerik
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Maybe someone paid attention.

It certainly seems so. I guess we'll find out after some people post the new items.

Angelus_dead
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
It certainly seems so. I guess we'll find out after some people post the new items.
Changed item text is retroactive. Take a look at your Chattering Ring, if you have one: now there's an explicit warning that they don't stack, which it never had before.

Gennerik
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Changed item text is retroactive. Take a look at your Chattering Ring, if you have one: now there's an explicit warning that they don't stack, which it never had before.

That may be true, however I don't have any of them and the chance of me getting raid loot seems very low so I'm counting on people updating the forums. Case in point, I'd love to have a Chattering Ring but have never gotten it to drop or been able to select it.