PDA

View Full Version : How about a reward for folks that don't die?

fatherpirate
06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Ok, I admit this up front.
I play PDG toons...........we die, we stay dead.

I thought it would be a nice reward for any player that completes a level without a death to
get a +2% exp bonus...per continuous level without a death.

call it a survivor award. If you play smart and don't die, you get more exp.

this could be cap'd at 10%

so, finish one level death free turns on 2% exp bonus
2 levels death free 4%
3 levels 6%
caps out at 10%

if you die..it starts again at zero

This would reward careful play without being monty hall about it.

just an idea

GlassCannon
06-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Haul. Monty Haul.

This would be keen, but better implemented as a Per-Quest bonus instead of a multiple instance bonus, unless a counter builds up after login and terminates after logout + 30 mins...

Elsbet
06-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Why get rewards for doing what you are supposed to do? You're supposed to run the quest and not die. That's why there are penalties for dying (item damage/temporary stat damage).

Allice
06-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I disagree becaues this will probably make groups more unbearable with people leaving just becaues they might die or getting irate when they do.

between6and25chars
06-05-2008, 07:15 AM
From my experience, giving a reward for not dying tends to cause problems. In Guild Wars, theres a title you can get for beating the story without dying. This sounds like a fun idea in concept, however, any time someone is trying for this title, they end up leaving the group anytime there HP drops below about 75%, usualy causing a party wipe.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I thought it would be a nice reward for any player that completes a level without a death to

You do have a reward, its called the lack of a financial penalty for dying.

Milolyen
06-05-2008, 08:48 AM
/not signed for a few reasons

1.This would only hurt the pugging process because people would be WAY more selective than they already are. Already hear "sorry can't go in yet because we don't have a cleric" way to often as it is.

2. If someone was to make a mistake and get someone killed you would have people getting upset because it ruined their experience bonus.

3. We already HAVE an incentive not to die ... its called a death penalty. Although it is a rather weak one now.

Some of the most fun I have in this game is when I or other people die. Couple weeks ago ran von 1-4 with my lvl 16 char and several others on elite to flag and favor. Everyone got a good laugh when one person died in von 3 I forget how. Then we reached the beholder room where me and another died and the first person did a second time. That was when we turned it into a bit of a contest ... who could die the most without purposly dieing (such as use of lava or just standing there while things beat on you). After it was all said and done one person had 3 deaths, me and another had 2, 1 had 1 and 2 did not die (they got razzed and called slackers). Was the most fun I had running the von's in a very long time.
Implement this and people will take a death a little to serious, some people will refuse to pug (which will in turn keep their friends list to a set group and once that group is gone then more than likely they will be also), give a steeper learning curve to new players because the more experienced player wont allow the new player make a mistake that my get them killed because they don't want to lose that exp bonus.

Milolyen

sirgog
06-05-2008, 08:53 AM
You're supposed to run the quest and not die. That's why there are penalties for dying.

There are penalties for multiple deaths at higher level, where you can get enough negative levels to be in a spot of trouble.

There is no death penalty any more at low level - only the illusion of one.

That said, I don't like the OP's suggestions due to them being very, very PUG-unfriendly.

Elsbet
06-05-2008, 09:52 AM
There are penalties for multiple deaths at higher level, where you can get enough negative levels to be in a spot of trouble.

There is no death penalty any more at low level - only the illusion of one.

That said, I don't like the OP's suggestions due to them being very, very PUG-unfriendly.

That was done to help out new players who hadn't built up the play experience (not xp) and plat needed to repair. That's only at the lowest levels though. It ends at what? Level 4 or 5?

fatherpirate
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Interesting replies

I will have to say the death penalty is no penalty at all.
(folks can aford to by items on AH for 250k to 1 mil....repair costs are nothing)
not sure about the negative levels.

The reason I call the replies interesting is because the main difference between
the MMO and PnP is that there is no perminate death in a MMO...there is in PnP.

The main reason everyone doesn't like the idea is because it might make a player
care if thier toon dies, and if they do, they might care about what what the class mix is
in PUG groups and that players might run away from danger instead of fighting to the end.

All the thread replies want, cooperation, preplanning, teamwork, self preservation discouraged in PUG
groups.

I can only guess in favor of zergs.

Thank you for your replies.

Milolyen
06-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Interesting replies

(folks can aford to by items on AH for 250k to 1 mil....repair costs are nothing)

The reason I call the replies interesting is because the main difference between

The main reason everyone doesn't like the idea is because it might make a player
care if thier toon dies, and if they do, they might care about what what the class mix is
in PUG groups and that players might run away from danger instead of fighting to the end.

All the thread replies want, cooperation, preplanning, teamwork, self preservation discouraged in PUG
groups.

No it is in favor of fun. Sorry but I can't STAND doing a quest slow and easy after the first 3 or 4 times for the most part unless there is someone new to the game and I am either showing them the ropes or letting them make their own mistakes.

I have seen people get hostile towards eachother because of an accidental death as it is and I can't imagine if a simple mistake by someone would actually cause another person to lose 10%exp bonus for all quests in the future. Then there are also deaths due to lag and bugs. People would again get even more irritated and post more flames to turbine if they died to lag and lose that bonus. Sorry this is a game ment to be played for fun and if you have people getting that mad over stuff then it is antiproductive.

It has nothing to do with being pro-zerging it has to do with how players interact with one another.

Milolyen

Elsbet
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Interesting replies

Not everyone can easily absorb repair costs from multiple deaths. Believe it or not, a lot of people do not accumulate massive amounts of plat and not everyone can afford AH prices. You wrongly assume that everyone has a million plat sitting in the bank. I sure don't.

Most of us care if our character dies regardless of what the penalty is. And like it or not, PuGs already care what the class mix is and already it is hard enough if you play a less "popular" class to get a group. This will just make it harder.

From a cleric's standpoint it is a rather expensive nightmare too. Not only will groups not take you if you aren't loaded to the gills with wands or scrolls, but now you're pigeon-holed even more into the healbot mode. Forget about throwing down that blade barrier or destructing a mob or two. If you spend mana on anything but heals, you won't get a group again.

groups.

Not sure where you read that, but the inherent difficulty in PuGs is a lack of familiarity amongst the team members--something that rarely exists in P&P. In P&P, you run a whole campaign with essentially the same group. You can anticipate what others can do and their strengths. You can't do that well in PuGs. Communication and planning mitigates that, but doesn't eliminate it.

People will take the safest route if forced to choose, and that is static groups. Static groups aren't all that great for the game. it is rather unfriendly to new players.

Because it is so easy to classify everyone who disagrees with you as zergers, right?

You want to know why I disagree with you? It's the principle of the matter. I dislike the sense of entitlement your idea imples. You don't get rewards for doing what you are supposed to do. You don't get cookies for not stealing and you don't get prizes for not breaking the rules. You get rewards for going above and beyond what is expected.

You're expected to find a way through the quest without dying. When you do so, you avoid the negative consequences of death. If you go beyond that expectation and kill most/all the mobs, you get an aggression bonus. If you smash all the breakables, you get a vandal bonus. If you spot all the doors or disable all the traps, you get bonuses as well.

ariel7
06-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Interesting replies

groups.

Actually I think on quest basis it would be better (a reward, or rather not getting a penalty for dying, which I think should maybe be the same as exiting a quest and coming in, because the people trying to save the party get penalized for ressing out), and I think we all want a reward that suits our own playing style. I'd love my cleric to get bonuses for great healing, my dwarf ranger tog et extra xp for the times he has 50% or more of the kills, etc. The main reason for MYSELF not liking the idea is I agree with some of the other repliers that I think it's not going to be good for everyone adopting a more hakunah matata outlook. I really don't want to have someone start crying furiously because someone didn't zig when they were zagging.

thatguy
06-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, I admit this up front.
I play PDG toons...........we die, we stay dead.

call it a survivor award. If you play smart and don't die, you get more exp.

this could be cap'd at 10%

so, finish one level death free turns on 2% exp bonus
2 levels death free 4%
3 levels 6%
caps out at 10%

if you die..it starts again at zero

This would reward careful play without being monty hall about it.

just an idea

NO.

MissErres
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Can anyone say PIKERS??

Phidius
06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I haven't yet tried the Permadeath route as I'm still trying to twink my latest build - seems I get them to level 13 before I realize I took one too many levels of <insert class here>.

I did start a new character that I didn't set up with uber gear, though, so I would imagine that the extra fun of going the Permadeath route will be enough incentive for me. Getting the end reward list for Waterworks on a character that only uses what he finds/earns in the game is very exciting.

And of course, bragging rights is important too. Rather than getting more XP, I'd rather see some kind of visual distinction for characters who haven't died.

parvo
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Can anyone say PIKERS??

Pikers

parvo
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Pikers

What's a Pikers? Is that plural for those tha Pike?

MissErres
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
What's a Pikers? Is that plural for those tha Pike?

um.. ya...

xp reward for not dying...

you would see an increase in the number of ppl sitting at the entrance of a quest while the others did all the work.

PIKERS!

Shyver
06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Not sure if it's been posted and I'm sure it would be too difficult to implement now. But it would have been nice that if when you created your character you could select normal or Permadeath. Granted this is a little "diablo and hellgateish", but those characters could then maybe have a different colored name or even the +%xp for the longer you stay alive.

Again, most likely too late into the cycle to implement. But it would be a nice way to differ between the different type of characters andn playstlyes out there.

Hell even roleplayers could select it at creation. Though the only bonus would be that your name is surrounded by butterflies. :D But then again the ex-xoriats would spend the whole game hunting down those players and trying to eat the butterflies. That might get distracting.:eek: