PDA

View Full Version : dev. read please why monk?

dgr8frost
06-04-2008, 11:30 PM
ok just wanted to bring up question on why you introduced another melee class when the game needs another healing class.
got many players getting bored because not enough players want to play a cleric and bards dont want to heal...

druid will bring another healing class and balance game..

melee dps....rogue ranger warrier pally bard and now monk

caster dps....sorc wizard

healer cleric (bard)

where is the balance??????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Lithic
06-04-2008, 11:36 PM
In todays end game, druids will compare in healing abilities with bards, that is to say about equal to a lvl 10 cleric. The heal spell is just so overwhelmingly usefull that without it, people will still only want clerics.

Add the 9th level spell Mass Heal, and noone but a cleric will do.

esoitl
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
i tell you that when i build a Druid(if they make it to DDO or even paper) i never plan to play a healer..... so whats your point here??
whining because you like Druids more than Monks??

there is truly only one healing class in PnP - Clerics, it's not a balance issue it's just the way it is

Uska
06-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Druids arent much better at healing then bards really and most wont play them as healers, I think most people were looking forward to playing monks first plus they were easier to get done as Druids shapeshifting will take much more work to get done then the animations for monks did.

Borror0
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Druids arent much better at healing then bards really and most wont play them as healers.

While most won't probably be playing them as healers... Really?? They get Heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm) as a level 7 spell...

esoitl
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM
While most won't probably be playing them as healers... Really?? They get Heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm) as a level 7 spell...

they get all the spells sure but nobody is forced to use them....
same as a Bard, i'd play as back-up healer and thats about it, i'm sure a lot of others feel the same way

Uska
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM

Yeah I know that why I said they arent much better then bards they are better then bards but nowhere as good at it as clerics

Riddikulus
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM
ok just wanted to bring up question on why you introduced another melee class when the game needs another healing class.
Simple... it apparently takes a lot of development time to make new spells, and Druids have a lot of them which are not common with other classes, plus shapechanging is a whole another can of worms.

On top of that the Druid "raise dead" spell is "reincarnate"... it would be really fun if they properly implemented that one, but it would take whole bunches of development to do so.

So that's why we got Monks.

We will be more likely to see several new races long before they ever get around to Druids.

Angelus_dead
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah I know that why I said they arent much better then bards they are better then bards but nowhere as good at it as clerics
No. On one side there's people who get the Heal spell, which is clerics and druids. On the other side is everyone who does NOT get the Heal spell.

Druids as healers will be much closer to cleric capability than any other class is.

fatherpirate
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Why........because the developers on staff at DDO do not know how to use the current game engine to have a druid
turn into an animal convincingly.

poor choice of game engine?...maybe

not enuff staff?...maybe

They just hate druids? ...doubt it.

Lithic
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
On top of that the Druid "raise dead" spell is "reincarnate"... it would be really fun if they properly implemented that one, but it would take whole bunches of development to do so.

Druid: REINCARNATE!
Former Dead Party Member (FDPM): dangit Im a field mouse. /death
FDPM: Kobold warrior, getting close... /death
FDPM: Awesome, im a dire rat. Not being sarcastic at all. Oh I hope I dont /death!...*ding*!
Druid: ****** this is taking forever. One more try, and then we are going to the shrine. REINCARNATE!
FDPM: Ooooh a red dragon! Now we're talking!
Druid: *burns with jealousy*
DING! (Party) Your party member Druid has died.
FDPM: what happened?
Druid: Bring me to house D, friend of mine has a capped druid so he can rez me. Im gonna get me some firebreathing!
DING! (Party) Your party member PM3 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM4 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM5 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM6 has died.
PM3-6: Us too!

Riddikulus
06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Why........because the developers on staff at DDO do not know how to use the current game engine to have a druid
turn into an animal convincingly.

poor choice of game engine?...maybe

not enuff staff?...maybe

They just hate druids? ...doubt it.
IMO no need to get fancy. They could just do a "poof" effect and you're an animal... wouldn't hurt my feelings to not see a morph.

Borror0
06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
No. On one side there's people who get the Heal spell, which is clerics and druids. On the other side is everyone who does NOT get the Heal spell.

Druids as healers will be much closer to cleric capability than any other class is.

What he said.

fatherpirate
06-05-2008, 12:50 AM
IMO no need to get fancy. They could just do a "poof" effect and you're an animal... wouldn't hurt my feelings to not see a morph.

I am even easier to please

They could give us a druid without shape change, and just give us an IOU on it. Seriously

What is better?

Druid..no shapeshift or
Druid 2 years from now...maybe

Riddikulus
06-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Former Dead Party Member (FDPM): dangit Im a field mouse. /death
FDPM: Kobold warrior, getting close... /death
FDPM: Awesome, im a dire rat. Not being sarcastic at all. Oh I hope I dont /death!...*ding*!
Druid: ****** this is taking forever. One more try, and then we are going to the shrine. REINCARNATE!
FDPM: Ooooh a red dragon! Now we're talking!
Druid: *burns with jealousy*
DING! (Party) Your party member Druid has died.
FDPM: what happened?
Druid: Bring me to house D, friend of mine has a capped druid so he can rez me. Im gonna get me some firebreathing!
DING! (Party) Your party member PM3 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM4 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM5 has died.
DING! (Party) Your party member PM6 has died.
PM3-6: Us too!

Yes, you got it. Except that the red dragon would be a fraction of a 1% chance ("Other" at the bottom of the table below). But I would guess if it was there people would be crazy enough to try to get it.

d% Incarnation Str Dex Con
01 Bugbear +4 +2 +2
02–13 Dwarf +0 +0 +2
14–25 Elf +0 +2 –2
26 Gnoll +4 +0 +2
27–38 Gnome –2 +0 +2
39–42 Goblin –2 +2 +0
43–52 Half-elf +0 +0 +0
53–62 Half-orc +2 +0 +0
63–74 Halfling –2 +2 +0
75–89 Human +0 +0 +0
90–93 Kobold –4 +2 –2
94 Lizardfolk +2 +0 +2
95–98 Orc +4 +0 +0
99 Troglodyte +0 –2 +4
100 Other

Angelus_dead
06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
They could give us a druid without shape change, and just give us an IOU on it. Seriously
That is especially true considering that in D&D, the Wild Shape ability makes druids dangerously imbalanced. To make the game work correctly you've got to nerf it seriously, so it wouldn't be too bad to remove it entirely (and replace with some other small bonus)

However, from a marketing perspective Turbine can't add druids without animal shapechanging. You see, WOW has a druid class that's derived from the AD&D druid, and it has the shapechange ability copied. It would be embarrassing for DDO to release a druid class which didn't have something that at least looked like Wild Shape according to the D&D rules.

fatherpirate
06-05-2008, 01:01 AM
That is especially true considering that in D&D, the Wild Shape ability makes druids dangerously imbalanced. To make the game work correctly you've got to nerf it seriously, so it wouldn't be too bad to remove it entirely (and replace with some other small bonus)

just give them pets that stay the whole instant lvl instead of 1 minute..2 minutes ect..
their pets get summoned (by spell) and stay there til next area.

Do make them 1 tier lower than mage ones though to keep balance

make the dog a level 2 summon
scorp lvl 3 ect....but they stay the whole lvl

also makes for interesting situations.....do we buff the pet, or heal it?

just an idea

Dark_Helmet
06-05-2008, 01:57 AM

Because a LOT of people (not me) were asking for them and druid years ago. But, they have a problem with summoned animals and the engine for doing druidical (funny, she doesn't look druish) things. I was suprised they didn't do Half-Orc before, but I guess that dev left before finishing?

Uska
06-05-2008, 02:47 AM
I am even easier to please

What is better?

Druid..no shapeshift or
Druid 2 years from now...maybe

Druids without shapeshift are nerfed clerics so no druids without it for my money

Borror0
06-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Druids without shapeshift are nerfed clerics so no druids without it for my money

Nerfed clerics?! Have you seen their spell selection?

GlassCannon
06-05-2008, 02:51 AM
just give them pets that stay the whole instant lvl instead of 1 minute..2 minutes ect..
their pets get summoned (by spell) and stay there til next area.

Do make them 1 tier lower than mage ones though to keep balance

make the dog a level 2 summon
scorp lvl 3 ect....but they stay the whole lvl

also makes for interesting situations.....do we buff the pet, or heal it?

just an idea

You mean like Rangers are supposed to have...?

Uska
06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Nerfed clerics?! Have you seen their spell selection?

Yes and they arent the healers clerics are even with heal. Druids are they own thing and arent the same without shapeshifting, they have done enough moving from 3.5 without doing that. Good grief be a little patient and get the proper class.

Borror0
06-05-2008, 02:54 AM
So, sorcerers are nerfed clerics too?:rolleyes:

GlassCannon
06-05-2008, 02:59 AM
So, sorcerers are nerfed clerics too?:rolleyes:

Yes.

GlassCannon
06-05-2008, 03:02 AM
got many players getting bored because not enough players want to play a cleric and bards dont want to heal...

druid will bring another healing class and balance game..

melee dps....rogue ranger warrier pally bard and now monk

caster dps....sorc wizard

healer cleric (bard)

where is the balance??????????????????????????????????????????? ??

No.

http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/su/07/09/steak-salad-su-1654759-l.jpg