PDA

View Full Version : Heya Devs: Multiple instances of blade barriers bugged

Ilandrya
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
If you run one and only one at a time, you are fine, but any more than that, and only the very first occurance of damage on each monster registers. It's not a display issue.. the mobs are not taking damage beyond the first hit, and there is nothing in the combat log beyond that point with regard to the bb's either.

alans240
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Been that way for a looooooong time now. I believe they said it is working as intended.

Drider
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Correct, you can't stack them.. same way firewall is now.

Riddikulus
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Um... no firewall works much better than blade barrier now.

I can stack 8 firewalls one right on top of another and mobs will get hit 8 times passing through.

If I cast more than one blade barrier (stacked or spread apart) the mobs will only get hit once or twice by the first blade barrier and then will be immune to every and any blade barrier after that (and will be immune to even the first once once a second one tries to hit).

If they fixed something related to firewall I'm not sure what it was because it must be pretty situational.

alans240
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Um... no firewall works much better than blade barrier now.

I can stack 8 firewalls one right on top of another and mobs will get hit 8 times passing through.If I cast more than one blade barrier (stacked or spread apart) the mobs will only get hit once or twice by the first blade barrier and then will be immune to every and any blade barrier after that (and will be immune to even the first once once a second one tries to hit).

If they fixed something related to firewall I'm not sure what it was because it must be pretty situational.

ummm...not any more you cant.

The Wall of Fire spell now functions in a manner consistent with other lingering area of effect spells – an error has been fixed that caused multiple walls to stack within a single area.

Twerpp
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
But if you run one at a time you are good? You can still infinitely kite them through the same one and get damage? Thats usually how I do it anyway to save mana, no more than two. Still though to nerf a clerics best offensive spell is simply ********. Its a pain in the ass (especially the part of your ass where the wallet is) and often not much fun to play clerics as it is so yeah lets take your favorite offensive spell and nerf it, nice.

Riddikulus
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
ummm...not any more you cant.
Ummm...yes you can. I just did it a few minutes ago in Threnal. 8 firewalls, 1 stack, 8 hits.

I'm not sure what under what circumstances that fix applies.

Pyromaniac
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
The blade barrier/firewall changes were intended nerfs. Blade barrier has been that way for a while, firewall got hit with mod 7: Nerf the firewall.

Riddikulus
06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
The blade barrier/firewall changes were intended nerfs. Blade barrier has been that way for a while, firewall got hit with mod 7: Nerf the firewall.
Try it.

Let me know what you did to see the nerf because I'm able to stack firewalls and hit a mob with every single one of them just fine.

Impaqt
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Blade barrier is behaving erratically for sure.....

Last night I did a lot of testing...

In DQ, when my B;ade barriers crossed hers (In 6-man) my Blade barrier seemed to operate just fine. She took damage onboth sides even though they were intersecting. (AS did I)

2 Blade barrier stacked Right on Top of each other. No Movement b etween castings. Mob takes 2 Hits on Enter and ONE on exit.

2 Friendly Blade barriers overlapping: Still Broke. Mobs still take dam,age only when Entering one and exiting the second.

The Hit Zone has either changed on the mobs or on the Blade barriers as well. THey seem to be stepping much further outside the animation before registering a hit(May have something to do with how the devs adjusted the hit boxes for mobile mobs)

I saw Several Instances where a Mob Crossed into a Blade barriers animation and Took no damage at all, and one event when a mob simply was completely immune to my Blade barrier. In Von 3, after taking damage from one blade barrier, he became immune for some reason. No Saving throw Icons popped up over his head, and no damage was taken even though he walked through at least 3 of em completely. Ended u p having to take him down with Cometfalls and Searing lights.

The Spell is still very useable, but very broken as well.

EDIT:
Firewall change seems pretty weak on the devs side. Only if the firewalls are stacked exactly perfectly do you encounter the "No Stacking" penalty. Moving your mouse even a fraction between castings allows both Firewalls to do their damage.

Talcyndl
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Try it.

Let me know what you did to see the nerf because I'm able to stack firewalls and hit a mob with every single one of them just fine.

Lol

Yup. Just tried it out in 3 Barrel Cove against the Hyenas. Stacked 4 on top of each other (or as close to "on top" as I could). As the hyena ran through the area, 4 damage numbers popped up.

:shrug:

EightyFour
06-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, this is crazy bug. I've been running a few quests and I notice it's the mob's that I have problems with, if they are anything other than regular mobs they have problems taking damage, it's just the special names that I have this problem with. Red names and others. Stack them blade barriers up on some red names and see how they come out, you well either be suprised or I well be.

Also I heard about the stacking thing and I made sure not to stack them and still had the same problem.

Also I should add this is very different from what we had as I just ran VON 1 threw 4 before and I was running it after. Before Mod 7 I went threw them on normal with no problems. Now with Mod 7 I quit at Mod 2, I just couldn't take the mana drain anymore and the recalling out for more mana. Before I never had to recall out for more mana, now my Blade Barriers don't work so I suck up mana much faster than before.

Killum
06-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Blade barrier is behaving erratically for sure.....

I saw Several Instances where a Mob Crossed into a Blade barriers animation and Took no damage at all, and one event when a mob simply was completely immune to my Blade barrier.

I have been testin g the BB as well. On all mobs, in all quests for my the mob will take damage the first time they cross the barrier and every time they exit from the middle. They don't take damage or make a save roll when they enter from the outside after the first time.

This reduces the overall BB damager by half. I hope this gets fixed and soon.

Oh, and another guild clr went with me into the vale explorer zone and had the exact same results. Only damage on first entry and exit from the middle. GRRR.

samho
06-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Just bug report it in game.

Monster will stop getting hit by BB if your second blade barrier hit them, then they suddenly not getting hit by ANY of your blade barrier (neither old one, nor new one, and no matter you cast the second one after first one gone or not). You will not see any hit on combat log, nor save, not even immunity. This is totally uncalled for.

samho
06-05-2008, 04:17 AM
A side note I just tested with the current blade barrier's buggy status -- enemy blade barrier also suffer the same issue as us.

So you can now grant Blade Barrier Immunity ability just like them, as long as you getting hit by 2nd blade barrier in the same dungeon, you can ignore ALL of them in the same dungeon :)

Pyromaniac
06-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Try it.

I have tried it, and can see only damage numbers in my combat log from 1 firewall at a time. Not sure if perfectly placing them on top of each other causes it not to happen. But I know for sure that if they're off a bit (or if another caster is dropping some as well) - then only 1 damage roll.

Tried making patterns with them i.e. x's and stars and got 'mob x hit by firewall' a ton of times, then only 1 damage number going with a ton of firewalls.

Tested in 5 different instances.

Talcyndl
06-05-2008, 07:14 AM
I have tried it, and can see only damage numbers in my combat log from 1 firewall at a time. Not sure if perfectly placing them on top of each other causes it not to happen. But I know for sure that if they're off a bit (or if another caster is dropping some as well) - then only 1 damage roll.

Tried making patterns with them i.e. x's and stars and got 'mob x hit by firewall' a ton of times, then only 1 damage number going with a ton of firewalls.

Tested in 5 different instances.

Not sure what to tell you...in the 3 Barrel Cove Explorer area the hyenas would pop 4 numbers running through 4 stacked firewalls.

Starrloom
06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Did Running with the Devils and had the same problem - they got hit by the first BB and then could not be hit by any other one cast - Got to say this just sucks - Was excited abt this mod but holy **** batman can you release a mod with more bugs in it - REALLY CRAPPY JOB TURBINE

Naso24
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
This either needs to be fixed quick or the stacking needs to be rolled back.

Has anybody had issues with multiple different types of AOEs stacked? Firewall on bladebarrier on acid fog on incendiary cloud with acid arrow and burning blood?

Aodh
06-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Hmm, I was using bb in the orchard last night and didn't notice anything weird. Things were dying pretty fast, although I was max/emp/sup pot'ing them. I didn't cast multiple bb's either.

Riddikulus
06-05-2008, 11:01 AM
I didn't cast multiple bb's either.
Right... one works, more than one is completely bugged.

Talcyndl
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I think this is kinda funny....

The release notes say that Firewall has been "fixed" not to stack.

Based on my tests, it looks like this update:

(1) Didn't prevent Firewalls from stacking. Unless perhaps they are perfectly on top of each other.

(2) Broke BB's whenever there are more than two cast.

Nice. Don't fix what is intended to be fixed, but break something else in the process.

Vizzini
06-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Looking for a Dev response on this please, testing has been done. What's the official word?

samho
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Right... one works, more than one is completely bugged.

And blade barrier used to take damage every time enemy or us cross / leave the barrier, now they only take damage when crossing ONCE, while they still keep taking damage when they leave barrier.

Ilandrya
06-05-2008, 12:34 PM
It has not been this way for "some time". It was the case prior to mod 7 that when friendly vs. enemy blade barriers OVERLAPPED each other they didn't work correctly. It shouldn't be feasible for friendlies to overlap multiple bb's... just as they are doing to fix firewall from being used in this way... but the problem was that if an enemy had one up at the same time that overlapped one of ours, their bb did not damage you when you did not make the save as it should. The intent of the change in mod 7 was to fix the overlap bug so that enemy bb's still work properly when a friendly has a bb up at the same time that overlaps it, not to nerf BB to prevent you from using more than one non overlapping bb at a time. There is nothing anywhere that says that, and if they wanted to prevent you from using more than one bb at a time, they would simply adjust the timer on the spell, not punish you by making all of them not work right when you have more than one up.

Prior to mod 7 if I cast multiple BB's, as long as they didn't overlap each other, they worked fine. Now they do not. In attempting to fix the overlap issue with mod 7, and/or fix the issue with our summons taking damage/dying in them if they were summoned in the area of the bb, they inadvertantly caused multiple non overlapping blade barriers cast by the same caster to not work properly. (I don't know if this is also true of multiple non overlapping blade barriers cast by differing parties or not.)

This is what the release notes for mod 7 say about blade barriers:

Overlapping friendly and enemy Blade Barriers will no longer cause strange behavior in the overlap. Standing in any portion of an enemy Blade Barrier should now cause damage, even if friendly Blade Barriers are present.

When you summon a monster into your own persistent AOE (Cloudkill, Blade Barrier, Wall of Fire, etc), it will no longer take damage on arriving in the world.

MysticTheurge
06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm having issues even with only one blade barrier cast at a time. I'll see if I can screencast some stuff later. If I'm not too busy raiding.

woodrick
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
the problem with the blade barrier as my repair bills on my clerics is starting to show is that once a mob has taken damage from a blade barrier they will only take damage from that blade barrier. once that blade barrier disappears and you cast a new one (i only ever have one down at a time) any mob hit by the previous blade barrier is completely immune to any new ones. how this can be working as intended is beyond me? and this was never the case previously. Clerics have the highest overheads in the game so soloing rares in the orchard and vale is the easiest way to overcome these financial issues, completely rendering one of the most useful spells available to a cleric completely useless seems like a great way to interest new people into playing them and current clerics to continue playing them. clerics got screwed with mod6 with their pitiful selection of lvl8 spells (of which mass death ward is the only really useful one), now we are getting screwed in mod7 as well. please turbine fix this bug asap. when repeaters used to bug the servers would come down until u fixed them, but then again the repeater bug benefited the players whereas this bug hampers the players

and please adjust symbol of death to match the adjustments made to the game so it is a viable spell.

Durack
06-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Clerics... Unite.... Since Mod7 none of our Blade Barries have been working /dealing the damage like they did before the new release. So my 5 clerics are all going to sit on thier duffs in the Salty Wench Tavern and drink copious amounts of ale until they fix the bug...
It's a shame too. Many a raid have I healed the valliant hero's of Stormreach and played my part. But during quest's I enjoy the offensive side that makes Cleric's so versatile.. So I will just play a caster or meele type from here out until the class spells are fixed.. If every Cleric united and did this it would have a rippling effect into the other classes. The fighter's wouldn't get thier heals nor the casters so now these 2 classes who seem to have staved off a nerf would then join our cause and stop running quests until the spells were fixed... What say you ??? who's with me... Cleric sit in...

I plain refuse to be relegated to the job of nanny healbot sitting back letting ineffective meele classes take tons of damage and me not getting to kill anything like a good cleric should... Several clerics I know have pledged the same... You have effectively preveted me from being able to make positive cash flow on one of the best classes in the game to play....and I don't get the pleasure of watching my enemies get decimated in my holy whirling blades...
http://www.socon.ca/img/fist.jpg

Durack
06-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Hmm, I was using bb in the orchard last night and didn't notice anything weird. Things were dying pretty fast, although I was max/emp/sup pot'ing them. I didn't cast multiple bb's either.
Pay attention folks....your testing method is flawed....

No one said that if you cast 1 single blade barrier it's not working...

Cast 2 and I'm not saying have them over lap or stack......Also bring a fellow cleric with you and see what happens..

Here were my & a guildy cleric findings..

Two blades from same person, in same instance, negates both blades, touching or not touching

Two blades from different people, in same instance, negates both blades, touching or not touching.

After casting two blades, even if you let them run out, any new blade cast, by either person, will do no damage to the mobs.

Mobs still only take damage when entering the first time, then will only take damage when exiting the blade for the remainder

just got home and me and a fellow cleric went out into the vale for a little blade barrier testing... I grab aggro drop a blade they take ZERO damage.....

He dropped a second blade totally away from my blade, I kite the first mobs, pulled them through my frist blade and then ran them over through his and low & behold 0 damage..

Yes ladies & ghents the bug still bugged..

We tested it over & over again. If I put a blade down and a mob takes damage from mine then he drops one they dont get any damage from his. Also subsequent blades cast also do no damage to the mobs....

MysticTheurge
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
No one said that if you cast 1 single blade barrier it's not working...

Several people have said that, including myself.