PDA

View Full Version : Character Slots

Cyndder
06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Let me say that like several people before me; I am not happy that additional character slots were not added with this new mod.

Now I have several reasons behind my disappointment that I think should be considered by the DDO developement staff.

1. Server merge: The underlying reason for the server merge was to get more poeple into fewer worlds--make getting groups easier. The side-effect is that for those who were playing on more than one server you had a chance--a fact for me--of having all of your toons merged onto one server. The decision was to give everyone a max number of slots for most that was 9 slots.

2. 1750 Bug: Way back when when a second toon reached 1750 an unintended side effect was an additional slot--as this bug was uninteded but people already were using those slots the response from Turbine was that those who got the slots before the next mod got to keep them--I fell into this category. However, after recently deleting a toon to create another I found out that the 'extra slot' would not return for a new toon (this was working in Jan/April but stopped functioning in May). This is/was unexpected, unannounced (at least I never found a post specific to this issue), and again disappointing.

3. Europe Servers: It is my understanding that European servers have a 12 slot per server limit; this was due originally to having fewer servers in Europe. After the server merge here in the US the limit was set at 9; why are the players in the US being considered less important than our European counterparts? This is the perception I have...and would really like to know why the difference.

4. Additional slots: There were several interviews given with different online and paper magazines concerning when/if additional character slots would be added to the game--new content, new classes, etc--and that it would be evaluated with each mod. So the total number of character types is increased to 10 but you may only choose to play nine of those types at one time on a given server--would like to know the logic that went behind this decision.

Now I know some poeple would say get another account--I already pay for 3 accounts for myself, my wife, and my son. Some will say delete toons--as I've already stated I do that...but I do it in a cycle (I run a toon up, find the flaws/changes I would like to correct/make and start a new one...when it is close to cap..and everything looks good I delete the older toon in favor of the new build and use the vacant slot to work on the next 'improvement'. With my 10th slot being removed I can no longer do this method; with the failure of turbine to add another slot I cannot even consider the new class for use. I keep the existing high level toon to help out with guild events, raids, or questing until the new canidate takes over.

I for one believe we should be on par with our European counterparts and have 12 slots per server. I also believe that the number of character slots should be a minimum of 1+the number of playable classes the server offers. I enjoy this game (yes the lag and some of the mods/nerfs get to me) but I have never threatened to shutdown accounts or leave the game--as you can easily tell I have been playing this game for 2 years (no breaks in service)...but what may not be obvious is I choose to be in this game rather than watching hours of TV. I spend time with this community to enjoy time with Friends and family...it is really hard to do that when content is being expanded but we have to take away a favored ally to experience it.

galoor
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I agree totally with the OP, this was a big disappointment.
I have 9 characters all capped or close to cap, these are characters that are good at their roles and i will not delete them again.
This mod is good, new class, some big changes to some existing classes etc....I was really looking forward to trying an assassin build and monk. Today i had to chose one or the other, my pre-leveled 5 rogue that was waiting for this mod got deleted, so now iam left with a monk (which is fun). But i tend to spend quite a few hours playing this game so within 4 weeks my monk will be capped and probably done 1750 favour, I am now asking myself "what then".

I have a lot of friends in game and they are my biggest enjoyment so i will not force myself to change servers to continue playing.
To be quite frank i can see me having to leave the game from boredom, all because turbine didnt see the need to increase character slots. I imagine I am not alone in this dilema as many others have been playing from the start also, it just seems wrong that the game i really enjoy playing doesnt seem to want to keep me entertained.

Oh well just my 2c worth.

Samadhi
06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I heavily agree - but am not sure if it's a lost cause now. There have been weekly threads on this for two months minimum now :(

...back to boredom...

Auran82
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree totally with the OP, this was a big disappointment.
I have 9 characters all capped or close to cap, these are characters that are good at their roles and i will not delete them again.
This mod is good, new class, some big changes to some existing classes etc....I was really looking forward to trying an assassin build and monk. Today i had to chose one or the other, my pre-leveled 5 rogue that was waiting for this mod got deleted, so now iam left with a monk (which is fun). But i tend to spend quite a few hours playing this game so within 4 weeks my monk will be capped and probably done 1750 favour, I am now asking myself "what then".

I have a lot of friends in game and they are my biggest enjoyment so i will not force myself to change servers to continue playing.
To be quite frank i can see me having to leave the game from boredom, all because turbine didnt see the need to increase character slots. I imagine I am not alone in this dilema as many others have been playing from the start also, it just seems wrong that the game i really enjoy playing doesnt seem to want to keep me entertained.

Oh well just my 2c worth.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't try an assassin build yet, seeing that the WotAssassin death attack currently does not work.

Karrai
06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
3. Europe Servers: It is my understanding that European servers have a 12 slot per server limit; this was due originally to having fewer servers in Europe. After the server merge here in the US the limit was set at 9; why are the players in the US being considered less important than our European counterparts? This is the perception I have...and would really like to know why the difference.

Stop bringing the eruopean servers into this. Turbine does not run or operate the european servers, Codemaster does and Codemasters can set the charcter limit to what ever number they wish w/o Turbines approval.

Cyndder
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Stop bringing the eruopean servers into this. Turbine does not run or operate the european servers, Codemaster does and Codemasters can set the charcter limit to what ever number they wish w/o Turbines approval.

While Turbine does not operate the servers in question; they provide the software. Most companies that work these arrangements have some form of contractual agreement to cover differences in configuration; (it can affect licensing fees/residuals and such). So while your point is a good one the people who control the software is still Turbine and they would be better able to answer the specifics of the original questions.

Spell
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
It would've been a good 'heads up' if Turbine can acknowledge our concerns when a major addition like a new class is added.
People were wringing their hands for the past month, asking 'are we getting another character slot'. I could actually hear crickets in the backround from the lack off ANY response. It seems that Turbine does not like to say "No" and instead opts for silence.
After this slap in the face with this kind of update I guess I won't expect another character slot again under any circumstances.

Auran82
06-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I remember this being asked in one of the interviews and the answer given was 'We will see if there is enough demand for it'

Apparently no-one asked for an extra character slot :D

GlassCannon
06-04-2008, 06:00 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

But yeah, a lot of people are unhappy that we can't convert the ENTIRE SERVER to Monks all at the same time.

Wildseed
06-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I remember this being asked in one of the interviews and the answer given was 'We will see if there is enough demand for it'

Apparently no-one asked for an extra character slot :D

I seem to recall several posts asking for an extra slot... however, people (even those who work for turbine) lie I guess.

GlassCannon
06-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Might not get used by me, but it would greatly help most of my friends In-Game.

I therefore request one implemented.

Gennerik
06-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Much like Cyndder, I also had the slight advantage of having 10 characters that I could create, and even up until Monday before the patch could still recreate the 10th character, so I'm more upset about actually losing a slot for this module. Deleting one character is bad enough, but having to delete a second character that you weren't planning on doing is really kind of annoying.