PDA

View Full Version : Ranger and Rouge Love

vainangel
06-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I understand the point and design of ddo...but would love to see...

Could we possibly add a reason for us Rangers and Rouges to be the class we are?

Rouges get to disable traps. Rangers get to spot things [unless there is a wand around].

Could we have some quests that acctually require us to scout?
Give Rogues the abilty to BIRBE a mob to leave us be?
The ability to DISTRACT a boss while the BARB comes in with a massive series of blows?
Rangers should be able to read more things on a wilderness map.
Rouges could even trick a Boss into a deadly trap?

just ideas...
[not correcting the spellin either ;p]

deathknighx23
06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
/signed

I for one would like to see a trap setting feat or a ranger that can actually track in the wilderness:D

redoubt
06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I like your idea, but others, like me, may have trouble getting past calling them rouges instead of rogues. Also, when you highlight the word "bribe" try not to spell it BIRBE. I know its seems silly, but often times good ideas lose out because we fail to present them well.

Other than those minor distractions, I like the idea!

vainangel
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I like your idea, but others, like me, may have trouble getting past calling them rouges instead of rogues. Also, when you highlight the word "bribe" try not to spell it BIRBE. I know its seems silly, but often times good ideas lose out because we fail to present them well.

Other than those minor distractions, I like the idea!

uh...uncalled for since you knew what i was attempting to say. Since I know people like you are out there...I will endevor ot mssiepll more

Gennerik
06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
uh...uncalled for since you knew what i was attempting to say. Since I know people like you are out there...I will endevor ot mssiepll more

I hate to say it, but it's not entirely uncalled for. While forums don't necessarily demand perfection, when presenting ideas, especially ones that you feel could add something to a game, there is an image to uphold. Personally, I know that I very often skip over posts that continue to spell things incorrectly. Every now and then mistakes happen, but continuously misspellings can hurt the viewing of your post.

But to your original post, I think that it would be nice to give more skill-based classes something to do outside of just combat. Something as simple as having a ranger in the group increasing the chance that rare monsters will spawn in encounter areas would lend itself to to more than just "My DPS is this...".

Deriaz
06-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Before this becomes a thread about spelling things correctly and making your grammar make sense. . .

I like the idea. I like my Ranger, but I don't play him often. He's more supposed to be skill based, so he can spot stuff, sneak, etc., but I find that doesn't come into play much. Rogues, I wish I could comment, but I'm only level 3 or so. Heheh.

I do kinda like what Gennerik said. The Ranger thing with finding rares might be a cool little addition.

-D

Hvymetal
06-02-2008, 02:09 AM
That is the one issue that hurts classes which are based upon skills, the focus on combat almost to the exclusion of skills. I would love to see more use of skills added to the game.

esoitl
06-02-2008, 02:26 AM
the whole tracking and trap setting would require putting new things in the game and therefore a lot of editing

ie: Track gets implemented as a skill...... now every character that ever wanted to track something will either require a reroll or for Turbine to implement a skill reset function such as they have for AP

since it's not in now i doubt it would ever be

IMO these type of things are more RP oriented while this game is more MMO oriented
without a live DM the RP value is limited in any format so i don't see it working as well as you or i would like it

tares
06-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Track would be an essentially useless skill in this game the way it is now.
The dungeons and wilderness areas are relatively small and all the spawns areas are static with a small path.
So all you have to do is run the dungeon/ wildernaess areas 3 times and you should have a good idea where everything is.

As for setting traps, many players dont have the patience for the rogue to disarm a trap much less try to set one and draw the mob into one.
These types of skills worked great in huge games like Everquest and the like but this game is way to small for those skills to be effective

Aesop
06-02-2008, 05:33 AM
just so ya know Trap Setting is in theory coming already.

I do wish their were more uses for skills in the game however.

Aesop

Borror0
06-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Rogues need two things, in this game:

Toughness enhancement line to be removed!
More skill usefulness.

However, there are more pressing issues than the second point, but it'd be nice. It'd also be a good way to force them to implement a skill respec.