PDA

View Full Version : Download-able Updater: Module 7

Tolero
05-30-2008, 02:22 PM
The downloadable updater for Mod 7 is now available! This installer will update clients from Mod 6 to Mod 7. New players will still need to go through the normal patching process - this will only work for those whose clients are current as of today. It will not work for Risia.

The download-able updater means you can download it and patch your client before the update goes live on the servers, saving you time when they come back up. It also means you can download the patch on a computer that you don't have DDO installed on (i.e. your work computer), transfer the patch to a disk or device, and then run it on the computer with a DDO client to update it.

If you've pre-patched already, you'll save yourself quite a bit of time on patch day!

Download the installer by clicking here (http://download.ddo.level3.turbine.com/largecontent/ddo/mod7/updater/live/DDO-US-Live-Updater-Mod6-to-Mod7.exe). Running it will download the Mod 7 files and update your client. When the servers open with Mod 7, your client will detect and apply the appropriate files.

Feel free to distribute this update to others as well!

IMPORTANT NOTES: This file will ONLY patch the North America/AU/NZ version of the DDO client. If you try to apply it to the EU version, you'll get an error message.

Film
05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Outstanding! We were hoping this would be available prior to live!

Ghoste
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
What I don't understand is this:
-Mod 7 was targeted for May.
-It is now clearly available for May, just the last couple days.
-Instead of sticking to that deadline, Turbine has chosen to further harm its own reputation by waiting until June 3rd.

What's holding up launching Mod 7 live? I realize today is Friday, so you'll have less tech support available over the weekend. Does that pretty much sum up the decision to wait til Tuesday to go live?

BLAKROC
05-30-2008, 02:37 PM
thanks for the pre load :)

Talcyndl
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
-Instead of sticking to that deadline, Turbine has chosen to further harm its own reputation by waiting until June 3rd.

What's holding up launching Mod 7 live? I realize today is Friday, so you'll have less tech support available over the weekend. Does that pretty much sum up the decision to wait til Tuesday to go live?

If I recall the process last time, you still end up downloading additional content once the patched servers come up. The preloader just lightens the load.

In other words, it's not clear that Mod 7 is fully completed. They still may be working on some minor tweaks.

In addition, new releases mean additional support needs. For them to release it on a Friday probably doesn't make sense for a number of reasons (higher load, more people ****ed if there is an issue, need to increase - and pay overtime to - staff).

Coldin
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
3 Cheers for pre-loaded patches!

Wizzly_Bear
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Yaga_Nub
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Ghoste, Targeted does not mean that it WILL happen. You know that.

Bad Ghoste! :mad:

Ghoste
05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Ghoste, Targeted does not mean that it WILL happen. You know that.

Bad Ghoste! :mad:
My question isn't so much about why aren't they meeting their goal, but regarding the fact that the mod appears ready...so why not meet their goal?

People in business make mistakes, things don't get done as quickly or as well as planned. I understand that. But when it all works out and a decision is arbitrarily made to undermine all that...huh?!!! Why?

Dexxaan
05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
:eek:

What I do understand is this:

- Ghoste is complaining.
- It is clear to see Ghoste is upset.
- Instead of complaining, Ghoste should choose further harm his reputation (Whining)., and maybe be happy we are this close to new Mod.

It's Friday, TGIF and lets get it done as bugless as possible Turbine. I prefer bug ratio lower than you making a deadline. :eek:

thatguy
05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Cool, I'll download the preload files tonight.

Thanks!

RazorrX
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Thank you! Have downloaded and will put on my PC when I get home from work.

Ghoste
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM

- Ghoste is complaining.
- Instead of complaining, Ghoste should choose further harm his reputation (Whining)., and maybe be happy we are this close to new Mod.

It's Friday, TGIF and lets get it done as bugless as possible Turbine. I prefer bug ratio lower than you making a deadline. :eek:
You do not understand, you misunderstand.

I am perplexed, not upset.

If mod 7's not ready on time, it's not ready. It is what it is. Their choice, considering their options, baffles me. It doesn't appear to serve any of their own interests. And that is was my post was addressing, not my own interests.

I'm not going to deny that my own interests are to see Mod 7 a little sooner, but that was not something I was addressing, and it's certainly not enough to upset me.

Turial
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM

I also don't understand the decision Ghoste but it is likely being held back do to low tech support over the weekend.

Ghoste
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I also don't understand the decision Ghoste but it is likely being held back do to low tech support over the weekend.
That could very well be it.

Seanus
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
W00t! Thanks for saving us a little time. That means I'll have my Monk that much sooner... BWAHAHA~!

Rameses
05-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I recieved this error when I tried to run the download.

"Cannot find a current installation of 'DUNGEONS and DRAGONS ONLINE: Stormreach (UPDATER)' (USA).
You can only use this installer to update an existing installation.
Please install with the full installer first."

What am I missing?

-Rameses!

MysticTheurge
05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
What am I missing?

Sounds like you're missing an installation of DDO. :D

But seriously... I have no idea. :o

Harncw
05-30-2008, 03:26 PM
good job on being "johnny on the spot" via offering a patch installer in advance :)

jkm
05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
if i had to take my guess, monday kind of threw a wrench in their plans. its why you plan releases for january, april, and october. nice months without all of those annoying end of month holidays in them that jack with project plans more than their 8 hours would indicate.

Ron
05-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Also, Ghoste, another possibility is this: There are two parts to DDO, the client side stuff and the server side stuff. We don't download the latter, only the former. It could well be that the cilent side code is done, but they are still madly working on finishing up the server side stuff. Thus, they could be ready with the stuff we download, but the Mod itself is still not done.

Also, even the client side stuff is multiple files. I'm sure many of them that are getting updated are finished and are ready for the pre-download. I could be that some of them are not done yet and will be downloaded on patch day for all of us. So perhaps we could pre-download 1580 files that are done, and we'll download the remaining 20 on patch day, which is still much better than having to download 1600 files on Tuesday :)

So, there's a couple of reasons why we could have a pre-download but still have the Mod not quite done yet, hehe.

ArkoHighStar
05-30-2008, 03:40 PM

If mod 7's not ready on time, it's not ready. It is what it is. Their choice, considering their options, baffles me. It doesn't appear to serve any of their own interests. And that is was my post was addressing, not my own interests.

I'm not going to deny that my own interests are to see Mod 7 a little sooner, but that was not something I was addressing, and it's certainly not enough to upset me.

there is a general rule un IT never ever install anything on Friday. so they probably had it prepped and had to wait for signoff which did not come in time for an early or mid week install

GreenGurgler
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Great to see this done again. :D
I am sure this has to help out some on launch date.

Can I make one small related question/request?

Can we PLEASE have the ability to Download ALL patches from launch to pre-mod7 outside of the game updater in a similar way to this? That would allow us to download ALL the patches anytime we wanted and burn them to a disk. That way if I reload the game, buy another copy, download Risia (and need to update it after it has been updated), etc... I dont then have to spend 2-4 hours downloading and updating ALL of the patches/mods.

It's one of those things that would really be helpful to players (while not at all game breaking without it).

Pretty please?

:)

Lorien_the_First_One
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
My question isn't so much about why aren't they meeting their goal, but regarding the fact that the mod appears ready...so why not meet their goal?

1) Never ever ever ever ever ever apply an update on a Friday unless you have paid tech support to be there on the weekend
2) Maybe its still in final testing. The release is 99.99% certain but they may yet need to tinker. This approach lets them release, and in a worse case senerio patch one or two files
3) Release now and 100% of the player base updates tonight. Prerelease tonight and release next week and the download crunch is spread out

All good reasons...there may be others...

Tomalon
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
one questions

why does the installer notlet me choose my own file to install in??

Not everyone runs ddo from c:program files/turbine/ddo....

I have vista 64 and ddo WILL NOT run from that folder so i had to move out of program files but the install only goes to c: program...

can you change it so i can choose my own file foler for ddo installer, please?

QuantumFX
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM

It also provides the coding team 3 work days to patch any unforseen issues. (Rather than working OT.)

Nightseer
05-30-2008, 04:52 PM

"Cannot find a current installation of 'DUNGEONS and DRAGONS ONLINE: Stormreach (UPDATER)' (USA).

What am I missing?

-Rameses!

I'm getting this same error. I have DDO installed, and it's patched to the most current install (Double checked that)

I am guessing at this point it might be due (in my case) to not having the game installed in the 'Default' location.

I've gone so far as to moving the installer into the acual DDO dir and it still gives the same error.

Hoping if this is a broken installer we'll get a fix 'soon'<tm> =)

-NS

Dark_Helmet
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm getting this same error. I have DDO installed, and it's patched to the most current install (Double checked that)

I am guessing at this point it might be due (in my case) to not having the game installed in the 'Default' location.

I've gone so far as to moving the installer into the acual DDO dir and it still gives the same error.

Hoping if this is a broken installer we'll get a fix 'soon'<tm> =)

-NS

It worked for me in the default location. I also have Risia loaded so that isn't the problem, so I think it probably is your install location.

parvo
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM

- Ghoste is complaining.

Bah...It's not clear to me. Ghoste and I disagree sometimes but at least he's real. He's not of towing the party line. Rep shhmepp.

parvo
05-30-2008, 05:34 PM
1) Never ever ever ever ever ever apply an update on a Friday unless you have paid tech support to be there on the weekend
2) Maybe its still in final testing. The release is 99.99% certain but they may yet need to tinker. This approach lets them release, and in a worse case senerio patch one or two files
3) Release now and 100% of the player base updates tonight. Prerelease tonight and release next week and the download crunch is spread out

All good reasons...there may be others...

Maybe they're working really really really really hard this weekend to fix caster AI so mod seven doesn't suck? :eek:

Nightseer
05-30-2008, 05:37 PM
It worked for me in the default location. I also have Risia loaded so that isn't the problem, so I think it probably is your install location.

Yeah looking more and more likely. Friends have been able to patch no problem, and they all have it in the default loc.

-NS

F'lar_Mnementh
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah looking more and more likely. Friends have been able to patch no problem, and they all have it in the default loc.

-NS

Actually, my installation of DDO is NOT default (C:\Games\DDO...). I downloaded the patch to desktop, ran it and it had no problem locating DDO in a non-default location.

wolfy42
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Ghoste,

I understand what your saying and agree that it would be great to have it released by the end of may as was originally targeted. I personally think it would be better to release it on friday and have it be totally fubared over the weekend then wait till the 3rd but that is just my opinion.

If that did happen probably tons of people would complain and scream about how bad the launch of Mod 7 was. This way they can have a full tech support staff ready to deal with any problems and have a lower population since it will not be a weekend when the new mod goes live.

I like monks, the new mod and of course DDO but I'm not thrilled witht he way monk week has gone (does not seem to live up to the promises to me) and I'm very impatient at this point to get back to playing DDO. I've been pretty much barely playing all week as I'm avoiding burning myself out on the new class and just not motivated to play my old characters.

Having the new mod go live for this weekend would be great, but I can wait just a few more days (tons of things I need to do anyway which I would put off if the mod went live).

I really can't complain too much about it not being released till the 3rd since we expected it to be released at the end of May. June 3rd is practically the same thing and way better then many people expected.

That doesn't stop me from being impatient though:)

query
05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
too busy doing last-minute testing from Risa on what I plan to do and not to for my monk when he goes live Mon...err, Tuesday.

illu
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM

i know this is not the right forum for this complaint or my responce but

if you had bothered to go to risia to try it out you would know mod 7 is not quite done there are a number of problems that need to be worked out before it goes live perhaps instead of complaining about what you dont have maybe just maybe you can take advantage of the week on risia to check it out you would be able to answer all your question and the things that perplex you .... now im not a compasionate or considerate person but people that complain about a release date that's missed by 3 days without at least making an effort to assertain why just bug me honestly we have been waiting expectantly on monks for over a year and you gotta whine on forums about 3 days ....

DragonKiller
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the pre-download! With both my wife and I having to patch, this will really save us some time. Hope you guys contuine this trend. /beg Also making all patches from release available would rock too!

And Ghoste, obviously they aren't quite ready. That's why they are delaying. However, I consider this a very small delay and well with in the acceptable time frame. Now let's just see how fast Mod 8 comes out...:cool:

GeneralDiomedes
05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the pre-download. I hate waiting when I get home from work for the client to download everything.

Echoloc
05-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Duplicate post

See Wolfie42's post.

and the point of never releasing stuff on Fridays. Unless you are a movie.

Spell
05-31-2008, 12:46 AM
can i download the pre-patch that will pre-download the pre-pre-patch downloader or do i have to install the pre-loaded patch to install the pre-downloaded patch before i pre-patch the pre-download.

HEYYYYY Abbott!!!
Who's Preloading?
That's right.
What's right?
pre-loading.
But that's what I'm asking.

wak
05-31-2008, 05:10 AM

Can we PLEASE have the ability to Download ALL patches from launch to pre-mod7 outside of the game updater in a similar way to this? That would allow us to download ALL the patches anytime we wanted and burn them to a disk. That way if I reload the game, buy another copy, download Risia (and need to update it after it has been updated), etc... I dont then have to spend 2-4 hours downloading and updating ALL of the patches/mods.

It's one of those things that would really be helpful to players (while not at all game breaking without it).

Pretty please?

/signed

wak
05-31-2008, 05:16 AM
and ghoste, ever thought of the backlash that would occur if the servers went down due to the mod, on the weekend? I reckon that's the real reason, where a weekend release has the most potential to p*ss off the many and not the few.

Nightseer
05-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Actually, my installation of DDO is NOT default (C:\Games\DDO...). I downloaded the patch to desktop, ran it and it had no problem locating DDO in a non-default location.

Well.... fudge. Okay that blows that idea then. Ah well. Guess I'll just have to let the game patch like a normal person next week. Mmm, maybe I'll try and re-DL the patcher later today and see if it was a bad DL or something. Thanks for the added info, F'lar.

-NS

MysticTheurge
05-31-2008, 07:37 AM

When I ran the installer it definitely had a screen that gave me the directory path to my installation of DDO (which is in the default location).

Can you move your DDO to the default location, run the installer and then move it back to where you have it now?

Umbra
05-31-2008, 09:55 AM
When I ran the installer it definitely had a screen that gave me the directory path to my installation of DDO (which is in the default location).

Can you move your DDO to the default location, run the installer and then move it back to where you have it now?

I get the same error and I DO have the game in the default location. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that I am running Vista.

Umbra

Rameses
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
i found out why i couldn't load the pre-patch. A while back ago I had to reinstall my DDO client, I had to download the internet version of DDO (i'd just moved and couldn't find my disks.)

I reinstalled DDO with the Disks and had no issue with the pre-patch.

I am, Rameses!

Umbra
05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm running the high res download version in the default location and get the error. Is the version on the orginal disks high res? I'll just wait for the patch if it isn't.

Umbra

ahpook
05-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Pretty please?

The link in your newsletter will let you donwnload the most recent version (should be up to mod 6) so there should be no need for other patches.

Though based on some feedback seen here, you might not be able to pre-patch that install :(.

I have pre-patched my original install (from the disks) sucessfully. I will patch my laptop (which has the download version) later and let you all know how it went.

UPDATE: Just patched my laptop without issue. I don't remember if that was the high-res version though. I think it was but am not certain.

fatherpirate
05-31-2008, 03:47 PM
If I recall the process last time, you still end up downloading additional content once the patched servers come up. The preloader just lightens the load.

In other words, it's not clear that Mod 7 is fully completed. They still may be working on some minor tweaks.

In addition, new releases mean additional support needs. For them to release it on a Friday probably doesn't make sense for a number of reasons (higher load, more people ****ed if there is an issue, need to increase - and pay overtime to - staff).

I tested on Risia...trust me they need the days to kill a couple of annoying bugs in the mod.

Korvek
05-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for getting the Updater out before the weekend, it takes me a looong time to load stuff :p

RvLeshrac
05-31-2008, 10:18 PM

My only problem with the release being Tuesday is that my days off are Monday and Tuesday, so a Tuesday release (including the typical MMO we-had-problems-and-the-servers-won't-be-up-until-5-or-6-pm-EST delay) means that I won't have a chance to really sit down and play on a Live server until the following Sunday.

I'm perfectly fine with the devs not working on the weekends (well, only almost-perfectly, since most of the rest of us have to work weekends, I'm sure), it wouldn't be a big deal if I was off Saturday and Sunday because, well, I don't know of any game, ever, that had weekend patching without gamestopping reasons... but why not Monday?

Seems like everything that has to do with gaming only happens on Tuesdays and Thursdays... developers/publishers need to stop neglecting the other three days in a "business" week! (Is it ironic that only an infinitesmal minority of businesses are only open on "business days"?)

TheMoose
06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
pffff..... no one is ever happy... ever...

Thanks for releasing a downloadable patch.. thank you!

RvLeshrac
06-01-2008, 02:27 AM
pffff..... no one is ever happy... ever...

Thanks for releasing a downloadable patch.. thank you!

Perfectly happy with the patch itself!

The 3BC revamp is amazing, I like the monk implementation, the new raids sound good (when we get them open, anyway)....

But that just makes delays even worse. :p

Giacomo
06-01-2008, 06:51 AM
For Xmas I bought a new system.

Downloaded the Game Hi-Res version on my Vista machine.

No problem downloading the Installer.

Did you change the Game path in some manner?

vainangel
06-01-2008, 07:18 AM
if you see me on can someone help me get my 32pt favor? i am under 200 away!!!!!

kailus
06-01-2008, 09:59 AM
i found out why i couldn't load the pre-patch. A while back ago I had to reinstall my DDO client, I had to download the internet version of DDO (i'd just moved and couldn't find my disks.)

I reinstalled DDO with the Disks and had no issue with the pre-patch.

I am, Rameses!

That must be the problem, I have the downloaded version in the default location and the prepatcher can't find it. Running XP as well.

Gryphton
06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
I downloaded my game from the internet. I just downloaded the patch in about 3 minutes and am back on playing. Thank You SOOO Much turbine. This will certainly help take the load off come tuesday which I can't wait for :D

emsteiner
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
So once i download then I install it and Im good to go? Yes I am moron when it comes to computers

jggbear
06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi there,

I downloaded twice already the updater, but it displays the following error:

Access violation at address 004096DA. Write of address 00401000.

This happenes every time that i run the updater.

Whats the problem, how do i fix it.

Thanks in advance

Juan

Issip
06-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm not sure how long you've been around, but some of the early Mods were published too soon and essentially brought the game down completely for a week or more (the game woul dbe up and down as they tried to fix it, but you couldn't play in any meaningful way for a week). I would always prefer they take their time and iron out any details that could cause problems before they release. It is better to play the old content for another week than to have the experience of playing the new content ruined by days of server issues, extreme lag, quests that bug out and can't be completed, etc..

Having seen myself what being in a huge hurry did for DDO in the early days I highly encourage their patient and calculated approach, and I hope everything goes smoothly with the new module release.

Thanks for the new content.

Issip

Arcanoid
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I too am getting the error about how it can't find the installation.

1) running vista
2) downloaded the install on this machine
3) have risia loaded as well
4) all are up to date.
5) installs are all in default loacation
6) UAC is off

Any help out there?

Nightseer
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
When I ran the installer it definitely had a screen that gave me the directory path to my installation of DDO

Yeah, I wasn't even seeing that. Reading on, I'd wager that my issues are likely linked to the fact: I had to reinstall the game as well. Got a new PC and just network copied 90% of my files from the old to the new. So give other people who reinstalled had problems, then re-reinstalled with disk... Well now sounds like a reg key issues or something. Either way, bit late now since I'll likely not have time today to reinstall right before the patch tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for the help and idea. Given how busy I got over the weekend just never had time to fiddle, was still great to see all the advice and ideas.

-NS

GrayOldDruid
06-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Will whine and complain about anything and everything. "NO! I wanted it Four days earlier!! Its not Fair!! Waahhh waahhh"

From what I understand, it has traditionally been a Wednesday when they release modules, so you're getting it a whole day early. Be thankful.

"Always look on the bright side of life... " - monty python sings (from the ending of "Life of Brian")

Kylstrem
06-03-2008, 07:30 AM

It's simple... if they go live on a Friday and have issues and everyone knows that once new code goes live on a server with more people playing it, then there is the likelihood that issues will be found... maybe showstopping issues that require that the game be taken down until the problems are fixed.

So, as a way to reduce risk they have gone through the following thought process:

1) We can release on Friday and meet an arbitrary deadline and make people happy for 3 days earlier. But everyone knows that with software development release dates are many times missed.

2) If we release it on Friday, and there is a major problem, then we will have no programmers in the office for Saturday and Sunday to start fixing the problem. If the problem is a showstopper, then we have to try to get programmers to come in the office on the weekend, which may or may not be possible depending on if they are at home or not. Also, even if we can get it fixed quickly, we will have to take the server down ON THE WEEKEND... (Talk about a hit to your reputation.... taking the server down during prime playing times for the majority of the subscribers).

3) Or we can wait until Tuesday. This takes the server down to update them on a Tuesday morning (not prime time for most players).

4) Then if there is a problem, we have all our programmers in the office for Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday, Thur, Friday to get any problems fixed and probably live on the servers before the weekend.

I'm pretty sure Turbine would rather hear from a few people whining about missing a deadline by 3 days rather than thousands complaining that the servers are down on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Shade
06-03-2008, 11:16 AM

What am I missing?

-Rameses!
Registry entry which contains DDO install directory. What that is, I dunno as I had the same problem.. Games not installed just copied from old computer, doesn't need to be installed..

Perhasp someone with the game installed will be kind enough to paste the .reg entry needed to make it work here. (should be something like HKLM\Software\Turbine\DDO Install Location)

Yeti
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately the download-able updater will not work if you did not install the game directly to the PC you are attempting to run the updater on OR if you have moved the directory since you installed the game.

The only workaround (as I will never advise reg hacks....) would be to copy your existing directory (or change the directory name), install the game, copy the original directory to the new installation (bypassing any of the updates from installer to the version you had installed) and then run the updater.

mdlaurie
06-04-2008, 02:27 AM
The updater program did not work for me. It reported the same message about not being able to find the game's location as others have reported in this thread. I have had the game installed in the default location since launch. I also used the updater last module to update the game and it worked successfully then.

I am now just re-downloading the module updates through the main client instead.

Please do more testing before you release this tool for the next module.

query
10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
It took a long time to update on Risa even with bandwidth set aside for this specifically.

I found that the Mod 7 updater worked as mentioned (sorry to those who it didn't) and want to hit the ground running oncew 8 is up on the main servers.

So,what say ye developers?