PDA

View Full Version : Assigning Loot: Changing the Error-prone Drop List to a Check List

Music_Man
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
We've all heard about it & most of us have seen or done it ourselves.
You're trying to toss an item you looted to another player, so you select the loot and scroll down to their name & let 'em have it... Only to discover you're aim musta been off, 'cause despite having their name lit up the moment before assigning the loot, the moment after it suddenly got assigned to the wrong name! ... It's pretty bad when you're the only two left in the raid, and that named item just gets left to rot.

What I am suggesting, is changing the Drop Down List for Loot Assigning to a Check-Mark List. As it is, the drop down list is too small to provide reliable accuracy, and it doesn't grant much a chance to confirm your selecting the right name -- even if it is highlighted. By expanding the list somewhat and adding a check-box next to each player's name and a "Assign Loot" button your giving players the chance to make sure we didn't nudge the mouse an extra pixel or something wacky didn't happen.

I personally cannot see a reason why not to upgrade the loot assigning system... If you're not going to assign loot, you shouldn't be bothered by a larger more efficient list simply because it doesn't affect you at all (and if you happen to pull it up on accident, you can just as easily close it out without going all grumbly-bumbly about it). IF you are going to assign loot, I'm sure you'd more than likely agree that a more efficient method would be preferred.

Retsam
05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
or at least a confirmation pop-up that shows which person you selected with an accept or decline set of buttons

sirgog
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
or at least a confirmation pop-up that shows which person you selected with an accept or decline set of buttons

Yep. Either solution would be good.

Currently the best workaround is to wait until the other 10 people have dropped group, as you can easily make a mistake by clicking the transfer 0.1 seconds after someone else drops group.

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah. i lost a cloudburst on my last reaver. the pali clicked my name, only for it to go to the fighter that had already fo'd out the quest. luckly, the pali is a guildy, so i can raz him on it constantly. "gee. sure would be nice to have a cloudburst right about now. :( ) lmmfao. cloudburst is ok though, id be mad as all get out if the same thing happend with the sword of shadows...i been after that thing for the last 2 months. :( i know. not as bad as some goin at it since release of the raid.

MysticTheurge
05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
The existing system would work absolutely fine with one minor change.

When loot is reassigned, don't remove the original owners ability to reassign it.

Joe, Jane, Jim, Jill and Jeanie are all in a raid. They succeed and Joe pulls an item he doesn't want. But Jeanie does. So Joe uses the little list to reassign the item to Jeanie but OH NO! he accidentally clicks on Jill's name. Only Jill's already recalled out.

Under the current system that item is just plain lost.

But if, instead, Jill has the option to pick it up, but Joe retains the ability to reassign it, then he can rectify his mistake and pass the item on to the person who actually wants it.

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM

When loot is reassigned, don't remove the original owners ability to reassign it.

Joe, Jane, Jim, Jill and Jeanie are all in a raid. They succeed and Joe pulls an item he doesn't want. But Jeanie does. So Joe uses the little list to reassign the item to Jeanie but OH NO! he accidentally clicks on Jill's name. Only Jill's already recalled out.

But if, instead, Jill has the option to pick it up, but Joe retains the ability to reassign it, then he can rectify his mistake and pass the item on to the person who actually wants it.

that would be awesome. kinda reminds me of the ole' dollar bill on a string trick though. "want it? ok take it" *zip!!* "ok, for reals. take it this time." *zip!!* "HAHAAAA!!".

:D that'd be a fun prank to pull.

maybe only make it so joe can only re-assign it 1 additional time, or such. or...take the persons name out of the list if there out of the dungeon. would that be possible? or.....if it gets assigned to recaller, at the same time hes recalled, maybe stick it back in joe's list so he can re-assign it....

geoffhanna
05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
It is an Annoying Problem.

Lots of good ideas here in this thread. Do one of them, please. :)

Kargon
05-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Or, could set so that if somemabody have loot in a chest assigned to them (by generator or by playermer) and they drop party, it automaticamally get assigned to... say... the current party leadamer.

Gryphton
06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes this is an annoying bug. I thought it was just due to player error for a long time until I've seen it enough times to know that it can just randomly jump to the wrong name. Another suggestion would be to allow a DM to actually assign the loot to another person if that person is actually willing to put in a ticket and actually stand around. I've been the unfortunate one standing in a raid last week waiting for a DM to respond to our requests to help us out to only get a sorry nothing we can do response. Another option that I would like to see is an option to assign gear to anyone who wants it, mostly just useful in places like shroud where lots of stuff generally gets left in the chests. I think if they just simply had a bit better way of getting the loot to re-assign to the right person that would make for allot less upset people. Peace

sirgog
06-03-2008, 12:33 AM

That's the best idea I've heard.

I also like the 'put up for ninja looting' option where an item can be 'unreserved' so that vendor trash can be given to anyone broken enough to bother selling it without having to ask 'anyone want these +3 Str Haggle +7 gloves?'

Lorien_the_First_One
06-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Or, could set so that if somemabody have loot in a chest assigned to them (by generator or by playermer) and they drop party, it automaticamally get assigned to... say... the current party leadamer.

I'd be good with that.

Music_Man
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
So during my raiding yesterday I came to the conclusion that this is a HUGE problem!!

Again, It happened multiple times that the name highlighted when released did not have the loot assigned to them. It happened to me twice, and to two other people all in the same warded chest. That was just in one quest. For the record, knowing that there is a high probability that this will happen, I pay special attention to make sure it doesn't -- yet I seem to foiled in my intentions, because it continually happens.

Devs, Please look into a solution to this very soon!

Thanks,
~Musicman