PDA

View Full Version : Dev Diary: The Way of the Monk

Tolero
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Welcome students! It is good that you wish to follow the path of enlightenment, and the Master shall show you The Way!

Come learn all about Monks as we continue Monk Week with the latest Dev Diary: The Way of the Monk (http://www.ddo.com/article/973)!

Yaga_Nub
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool. TY.

RazorrX
05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Kewl! :) Thanks Toleeeedooo! ;)

Turial
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Looks like there arent any enhancements currently that are opened by being a monk of inevitable domination...Is that an oversite or how it stands for when monks go live?

Other then that it looks quite nice.

Dungnmaster001
05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I haven't finished reading this but this caught my eye

Ki energy can also be used to gain a short term boost to the monk’s combat abilities through our Flurry of Blow ability.

huh? Does FoB have an activated portion too? I thought it was just a passive bonus to BAB....

Angelus_dead
05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
The interesting relevation from the dev diary is that the elemental paths (air, fire, etc) will have a 4th tier at level 18, not just the 3rd tier we have now on Risia.

It is important that players get some information on what the 4th tier DOES, and before module 7 goes live, so they can plan their monk characters for whether or not it's worthwhile to achieve high enough ability scores to qualify.

Dungnmaster001
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
The interesting relevation from the dev diary is that the elemental paths (air, fire, etc) will have a 4th tier at level 18, not just the 3rd tier we have now on Risia.

It is important that players get some information on what the 4th tier DOES, and before module 7 goes live, so they can plan their monk characters for whether or not it's worthwhile to achieve high enough ability scores to qualify.

if it's availble at level 18 then why do we need to know before mod 7? Level cap isn't going up. And if they told us what they have planned for it now there's no guarantee that it won't get changed before mod 8 (think that's the next cap increase)

Sure it's good to plan ahead but nothing is set in stone this early in development. (early for mod 8 that is)

SpatzAI
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
-----
Eagle Claw Attack: Active attack that reduces your target’s by 4 for a short period of time. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom mod) The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect. “Fire” tagged. Requires Fire Stance 2, level 6.
---
Reduces your target's what?

Are the Compendium entries for Monks already created somewhere? Any chance we could get a peak at them?

bobbryan2
05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
if it's availble at level 18 then why do we need to know before mod 7? Level cap isn't going up. And if they told us what they have planned for it now there's no guarantee that it won't get changed before mod 8 (think that's the next cap increase)

Sure it's good to plan ahead but nothing is set in stone this early in development. (early for mod 8 that is)

Because it's be a GOOD thing to know what they have in mind for monks, as it might change our minds about whether it would be more beneficial to take 6 levels of ranger or not.

Dungnmaster001
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Because it's be a GOOD thing to know what they have in mind for monks, as it might change our minds about whether it would be more beneficial to take 6 levels of ranger or not.

If they told you right now, and it was something awesome, and you decided to stay pure monk just to get it. Then as mod 8 gets closer they said due to internal testing and feedback they've changed their minds... what kind of reaction would that get?

Consider WotA II when it was originally announced many were excited about it and planning their builds around it. They discarded those plans once it got changed (some of them did anyway). Luckily there wasn't much time elapsed between the announcements of the original and the changed version so people didn't screw up their builds trying to qualify for something they didn't want.

But telling us about tier 4 monk abilities now would make people assume it's going to stay that way and they will make monks based on that information. Then once they are capped and it's too late the devs might post a WDA for mod 8 that says the tier 4 will be something else. Which will cause everyone to come to the forums whining about "broken promises" and stupid things like that.

Besides if you look at tiers 1-3 you kinda know what's coming with tier 4. It's almost 99% likely to be just an upgrade over what tier 3 does.

Ransacked
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Nice write up... I have a question though.

Monks are a distinct new character class that you will be able to choose when Module 7: The Way of the Monk goes live

I currently have 9 characters and do not have the option to choose to play one as the create button is greyed out.

Will we be getting any additional character slots?

Dungnmaster001
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I currently have 9 characters and do not have the option to choose to play one as the create button is greyed out.

Lol congratulations on coming up with a way to sneak that question in. Meh I'm curious too but there are about 400 other threads out there asking the same question. If they were going to answer they'd have done it by now surely.

Ransacked
05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Lol congratulations on coming up with a way to sneak that question in. Meh I'm curious too but there are about 400 other threads out there asking the same question. If they were going to answer they'd have done it by now surely.

Someone had to do it. :)

ArkoHighStar
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Someone had to do it. :)

yeah this is going to be a final release notes only item I imagine

Ransacked
05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Okay so I lied... I have another question:

(Wind: Dexterity, Earth: Constitution, Fire: Strength, Water: Wisdom.)

Is the Heart stance based off of Charisma and if you have 5 monks with different stances can you collectively summon a Super Monk?

Impaqt
05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Choice of a Martial Arts Feat: Your training grants you the choice of one of the <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--> following feats: Combat Expertise, Deflect Arrows, Discipline, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Precision, Stunning Fist, Toughness, orWeapon Finesse. You must meet all prerequisites of the feat you select.

This is weird...... So many feats that arent "Monk" feats..

TOughness? Precision?

I'm disapointed that Two-Weapon Fighting isnt in there. As long as you adsded a bunch of feats, you should of added all that could aply.. I definatly picture monks 2-weapon Fighting (THey have 2 Fists Correct?)

ALso...
Special:A monk may select Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat at 2nd level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites

I can kinda see needed to meet Prereqs for the Invented Monk Feats, but the True Monk feats should NOT require Prereqs.

Dungnmaster001
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Choice of a Martial Arts Feat: Your training grants you the choice of one of the <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--> following feats: Combat Expertise, Deflect Arrows, Discipline, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Precision, Stunning Fist, Toughness, orWeapon Finesse. You must meet all prerequisites of the feat you select.

This is weird...... So many feats that arent "Monk" feats..

TOughness? Precision?

I'm disapointed that Two-Weapon Fighting isnt in there. As long as you adsded a bunch of feats, you should of added all that could aply.. I definatly picture monks 2-weapon Fighting (THey have 2 Fists Correct?)

ALso...
Special:A monk may select Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat at 2nd level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites

I can kinda see needed to meet Prereqs for the Invented Monk Feats, but the True Monk feats should NOT require Prereqs.

They used Oriental Adventures rules on monk feats.

Not sure if OA required you to meet pre-reqs or not but I'm assuming the devs did it to balance the larger feat list. Given a choice of a larger feat list with pre-reqs, and a short feat list with no pre-reqs (given that almost none of the pnp monk's feats are available in DDO (with the exceptions of stunning fist, deflect arrows, and imp trip) Personally I like options. And the pre-reqs aren't all that hard to work around.

edit: dug out my OA book, and it does say you have to meet the pre-reqs. I looked at the list of feats they offered too and we are getting some that weren't on the OA list (of course we aren't getting some of the OA feats too so I'm guessing they added the extra ones to compensate)

Delzon
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM

The reason I would like to know if an 18 stat is going to be required to get the 4th tier. I had planned on making a stat 14 and then using a +2 tome to get 16 and the 3rd tier. If they come along and now say 4th needs an 18, I am going to have to wait for +4 tomes to come out??? Yes I could put a stat point into it as I level up, but that would also change my character plan. This is very important to know while building.

Rekker
05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
The reason I would like to know if an 18 stat is going to be required to get the 4th tier. I had planned on making a stat 14 and then using a +2 tome to get 16 and the 3rd tier. If they come along and now say 4th needs an 18, I am going to have to wait for +4 tomes to come out??? Yes I could put a stat point into it as I level up, but that would also change my character plan. This is very important to know while building.

Just like every other class in game. You have to just wait and see. Who knows what we are going to get for our Palys, Fighters, Bard, Cleric, etc after we get past 16? Why should you know for the Monk?

RazorrX
05-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Elemental Ways: Grant an elemental stance and an elemental attack, with increasing effects as you go higher in the chain. Available at levels 1/6/12/18, and require a base ability of 12/14/16/18 to acquire. (Air: Dexterity, Earth: Constitution, Fire: Strength, Water: Wisdom.)

Now you know. :)

Delzon
05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Elemental Ways: Grant an elemental stance and an elemental attack, with increasing effects as you go higher in the chain. Available at levels 1/6/12/18, and require a base ability of 12/14/16/18 to acquire. (Air: Dexterity, Earth: Constitution, Fire: Strength, Water: Wisdom.)

Now you know. :)

Yup, just reread the way of the monk again and saw that, thanks for posting it.

dragnmoon
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Unbalancing Strike: Active attack that reduces your target’s Balance by 10, AC by 2, and allows them to be sneak-attacked (if vulnerable to them). A successful Reflex save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom mod) The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect. “Water” tagged. Requires Water Stance 2, Level 6.

ooooohhh... I now always want a Monk in group when I play Tolith... :D

MrWizard
05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Problems with the way of monk page

Level 1 -

Choice of a Martial Arts Feat: Your training grants you the choice of one of the <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--> following feats: ...

Level 1-
Evasion: When a monk makes a successful Reflex save to avoid damage, he or she suffers no damage instead of half damage. Evasion requires light or no armor.

Level 9
Improved Evasion: When a monk makes a successful Reflex save to avoid damage, he or she suffers only half damage.

So at level 9 we take half damage and level 8 and below we take no damage? I think that is wrong?

and at very end of page...

<!--[if !supportFootnotes]-->

and to recap others....

-----
Eagle Claw Attack: Active attack that reduces your target’s by 4 for a short period of time. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom mod) The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect. “Fire” tagged. Requires Fire Stance 2, level 6.
---

Are the Compendium entries for Monks already created somewhere? Any chance we could get a peak at them?

Impaqt
05-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Should Be
Level 9
Improved Evasion: When a monk Fails to make a successful Reflex save to avoid damage, he or she suffers only half damage.

msheaf1
05-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Is it just me or does Harmonious get a lot more options than Dominion? Harmonious gets Lifting the Veil . The Receptive Earth ,Restoring the Balance , Rise of the Phoenix. While dominion doesn't seem to have anything similar.

RazorrX
05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep went domination on Risia and was kind of let down as to what it does. Will go Harmonious for Live.

Delacroix21
05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
THIS is what I had been waiting for, a big thank you Dev's! =)

Sorry for all my rants! I am most ashamed and will jump off the Twelve bridge a few ties so I might learn patience.

___EDIT___
Domination is more for the finishing moves then for the extra moves.

Delacroix21
05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh and one more thing! Would LOVE to know if there will be +4 tomes one day, as it will have a huge impact on how my character is built considering level 18 stances will require base 18 stats! That is no small feat to achieve and would need to know ahead of time =).

My current human build is built around the use of 4 +2 tomes just to get a base of 16 in the 4 needed stats! hehe

Suppose I could just make his stats= (32pt build, +3tomes, +1 ability to dex, con, int, wis by 16)
BASE END
str 15 18
dex 14 18
con 14 18
int 14 18 (hopefully skillpoint respecs will be added by then!)
wis 14 18
cha 8 8

DeadlyGazebo
05-28-2008, 03:38 PM
-----
---

Reduces your target's AC.

MysticTheurge
05-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Monks are the best defense against magic and sorcery

Unless it's a ray or touch spell, then the only defense against it is running around like a chicken sans head.

It's all there if you look for it.

so they can plan their monk characters for whether or not it's worthwhile to achieve high enough ability scores to qualify.

Ability scores are something that you can't change later on. Therefore, people need to know when they're making their monks. I.E. before Module 7.

Delacroix21
05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Ability scores are something that you can't change later on. Therefore, people need to know when they're making their monks. I.E. before Module 7.

Yep thats why I want to know about +4 tomes. =) It is tough to rely on raid dropped tomes but what choice do I have? As how else could i get 4 stats to 18. =)

I guess if we really dont find out I wont risk it (and HATE to reroll) so I will make my human monk with all 14s (except charisma) and put each of my four level up points into the 4 stats needed and try and farm a +3 tome for each stat =).

Kadagan
05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Why don't we have Zen Archery? It seems like an easy feat to put into the game and fits right into the monk/wisdom focus... Where is the Zen Love?

Recently returned... looking forward to monks.

Raiderone
05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh and one more thing! Would LOVE to know if there will be +4 tomes one day, as it will have a huge impact on how my character is built considering level 18 stances will require base 18 stats! That is no small feat to achieve and would need to know ahead of time =).

My current human build is built around the use of 4 +2 tomes just to get a base of 16 in the 4 needed stats! hehe

Suppose I could just make his stats= (32pt build, +3tomes, +1 ability to dex, con, int, wis by 16)
BASE END
str 15 18
dex 14 18
con 14 18
int 14 18 (hopefully skillpoint respecs will be added by then!)
wis 14 18
cha 8 8

I would keep in mind when building a Monk that it's BASE ABILITY. Not any other STAT ability increase (Feat, Enhancement,
Inherent, ETC).

So you would need to build with the understanding of 4 base increases from lvl 4/8/12/16 (eventually 20).
keeping in mind each increase in stance is BASE ABILITY= 12/14/16/18 (lvl 1/6/12/18). You cannot be Stance4 on all, probably just one. Maybe Stance3 on three, Stance 2 & 1 on all.

I'm probably going one of two BASE builds: (Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha): (+ base level increases)
16(+2),14,15(+1),8,15(+1),8 or 15(+1),14,16(+2),8,15(+1),8:

Raiderone
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Any additional Enhancement information on the Elemental Stances above Stance 2 (lvl6)? Assuming Stance3 equals lvl 12
and Stance4 equals LVL 18.

Here are Stance2/LVL6 Enhancements:

Ten Thousand Stars: Activated ability to increase thrown weapon speed for a short period of time. Requires Air Stance 2, level 6.

Fists of Iron: Active attack with +1 critical damage multiplier, “Earth” tagged. Requires Earth Stance 2, level 6.

Unbalancing Strike: Active attack that reduces your target’s Balance by 10, AC by 2, and allows them to be sneak-attacked (if vulnerable to them). A successful Reflex save negates this effect. (DC 10 + Half Monk Level + Wisdom mod) The target receives periodic saves to attempt to break free of this effect. “Water” tagged. Requires Water Stance 2, Level 6.

Dungnmaster001
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I would keep in mind when building a Monk that it's BASE ABILITY. Not any other STAT ability increase (Feat, Enhancement,
Inherent, ETC).

So you would need to build with the understanding of 4 base increases from lvl 4/8/12/16 (eventually 20).
keeping in mind each increase in stance is BASE ABILITY= 12/14/16/18 (lvl 1/6/12/18). You cannot be Stance4 on all, probably just one. Maybe Stance3 on three, Stance 2 & 1 on all.

I'm probably going one of two BASE builds: (Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha): (+ base level increases)
16(+2),14,15(+1),8,15(+1),8 or 15(+1),14,16(+2),8,15(+1),8:

And you've tested this? Tomes provide an inherent bonus and allow you to meet prereqs for feats, I don't see why they wouldn't let you get the prereqs for combat stances.

Quanefel
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
And you've tested this? Tomes provide an inherent bonus and allow you to meet prereqs for feats, I don't see why they wouldn't let you get the prereqs for combat stances.

Yeah, I talked to a Dev when they were on Risia and was told the bonus from tomes go towards meeting the requirements for the different levels of each stance. Thought I'd share that in case anyone else was wondering.

Raiderone
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM

No I haven't tested it. But when I read BASE ABility and check my characters, INherent bonuses does not increase BASE Ability.
I take it literally. :eek:

Darth_Sizzle
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks like my Monk will be a Dwarf (32 pt):

16 STR
15 DEX
16 CON
8 INT
15 WIS
6 CHA

This way I'll only (lol) need 2 +3 tomes & 1 +2 (all lvl ups going into STR) to get the top tier of each stance.