PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back Weekends

ktb
05-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Devs,

I have been playing pretty consistently since DDO went live. However, as a casual gamer (work late, kids, etc) I've never maxed the 1750 point cap for the 32 point build (I think I hit 1100 on my best build). I've always wanted to, but due to puritanical legal restrictions in the US, I am not allowed to abandon my family so that I can play DDO for the requisite time to complete most high level quests. Note: I am also morally disinclined to killing or imprisoning my family as I like them more than a fair amount.

With that said, as part of rolling out the Monk, how about a welcome back to DDO day that offers a window to create 32 point builds even if you haven't hit the cap. This could be instead of the usual +1 chests or 150% xp.

Just an idea. Please be aware that your decision with have no bearing on the safety of children or wife, I just would really like to make a better monk.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Issip
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think the devs are going to do that, and I don't think that most of the community would want them to.

The 1750 is not that difficult if you make it your top priority. You can easily pick up 40-50 favor in an hour or less up until you get to around 1650, then you will probably have to do a few painful quests to finish up, but getting 1750 favor takes about 1/3 the time it takes to level a toon (or less).

Try not running the shroud one night and instead start doing the lowest level quests you don't yet have on elite. Put up an LFM saying favor. In the time you would have taken to run the shroud you will have gained 50 or more favor.

The 32 point build doesn't much matter anyway as my 32 point toons mostly suck in comparison to my old 28 point toons.

If you've only ever reached 1100 and you ahve a toon at or near level cap, then you've never tried to get favor (don't blame your wife and kids, you picked which dungeons you ran). Try it for a while, it will get you a lot more 32 point toons much faster than begging on the forums.

Delacroix21
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Devs,
I've never maxed the 1750 point cap for the 32 point build (I think I hit 1100 on my best build). .

Well I think thats your problem right there! You have rerolled or made many different characters and never stuck with one long enough to get the favor up! Take just that character with the highest favor and start logging him on whenever you have the time to play. Even if you only have time for 1 quest just go down the list of quests you have and pick one you havent done on elite yet and get a LFM for it.

Thats what I did, and I dont even play my 1750 character anymore as I grew bored of the build at level 12 anyway. But hey, its totally worth it now considering all my other characters can be 32pt builds.

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I've always wanted to, but due to puritanical legal restrictions in the US, I am not allowed to abandon my family so that I can play DDO for the requisite time to complete most high level quests. Note: I am also morally disinclined to killing or imprisoning my family as I like them more than a fair amount.

lmmfao. thats funny. there are loopholes around that though. i got away with it when ddo launched, and i been gettin away with it since. :P j/k, btw.....dont want nobody thinkin im serious....:rolleyes:

with that out of the way, yeah. what issop said before me. what server are you on? i could prolly maybe help you run some favor if yer on ghallanda. it will take away from my looting ***** ways, but i could prolly break it down for a bit.

i used to think that it was impossible to hit 1750 as well, being the same kind of casual player. 2 days a week, 2-3 hours per night. ugh. i had about 900 favor when i decided i wanted to run a 32 point. i think it took me...maybe a month? had alot of friends with all quests on elite, so they held my hand through the ones i needed. the last 20 were the hardest. last 2 sucked the most. had ot have a friend duo the heart series in the necro with me to get it.

anyway, yeah. if you really want it, it will be fairly easy to attain, just got to put all efforts into favoring, and less effort into raids/loot pimping.

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Well I think thats your problem right there! You have rerolled or made many different characters and never stuck with one long enough to get the favor up! Take just that character with the highest favor and start logging him on whenever you have the time to play. Even if you only have time for 1 quest just go down the list of quests you have and pick one you havent done on elite yet and get a LFM for it.

Thats what I did, and I dont even play my 1750 character anymore as I grew bored of the build at level 12 anyway. But hey, its totally worth it now considering all my other characters can be 32pt builds.

bah. thats not necissarly true. i had the same character (and the only one) that i played for about a year and a half, and only had 900 or so favor. his problem is that he has limited play time. like me, (dunno if his is the same situation, but this is mine) 2 nights a week, 2-3 hours per night. too me that long just to get 1750, AND lvl 16.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
We have had this same argument not to long ago but for slightly different reasons. My answer to it is the same, if want the 32 point build then stick it out and put the time in. No free rides.

DelScorcho
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I've always wanted to, but due to puritanical legal restrictions in the US, I am not allowed to abandon my family so that I can play DDO for the requisite time to complete most high level quests.

Just another example of the government sticking it to the little man. Fight the power! :D

DoctorWhofan
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I went from 904 favour and then to 1750 in ten days of casual play. However, he was the ONLY toon I played and I picked my quests for favour. He also leveled from 11 to 13. This was recently on my secondary account. Even as a casual player, you can do it, you just gotta stick it out.

I have two 1750 character on my main account with two more in the 1500 range. It can be done, lots of people have done it, even the casual players. BUT you need to stick with it!

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
We have had this same argument not to long ago but for slightly different reasons. My answer to it is the same, if want the 32 point build then stick it out and put the time in. No free rides.

yep. i agree. if the devs were to say "ok guys. youve played long enough. here are 32 pointers for EVERYBODY!!!" i wouldnt be that mad. or disapointed. or jealous. or want to quit or anything, but i would feel cheated. like, "i put out all that effort to earn my spot, when all i had to do was wait for the easy button??? why bother with anything else when i can just wait, and beg for it on the forums and have it givin to me??"

besides. when you finally do achieve the 32 pointer, it gives you sense of achievment, almost like pulling your first vorpal. (well, is how i felt anyway.....all tingly and lovey inside...... :o )

btw, thatguy, i love yer sig. "loot gods are jerks" lmao. aint that the TRUTH!!!

Deathseeker
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Are you in a decent guild? It helps a ton if you have guildies that can help you open quests on elite and will help you in general run through them. That's what I did, and it really didn't take that long. The LFM thing can take a while waiting to get a good group together. If you aren't in a guild (or are in one that isn't very helpful), consider finding one. If you're on Thelanis, drop a note to anyone in Stormhaven...we'll be glad to help ya out!

Halpo
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I say NO I have almost left the game because of these events. All it does it brings back old players for that weekend and causes LAG for those of us who pay for subscriptions. Last one got so bad I gave up trying to play. Believe me if they keep giving them often I will think about not renewing my subscription since when they have these events its usually during the times I can play and boom I can't because its too LAGGY!

ktb
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Thank Deathseeker.

I am on Thelanis. My main toon is "Zeroeleven". I'm currently not in a guild, and due to my limited time playing I wind up soloing alot or PUGging. I'll definitely hit you guys up in the next day or so.

To answer all the other questions:
1.) I've never hit the level cap
2.) I re-roll toons all the time.
3.) I've pretty much done all of the 6 and lower quests on elite.

Darkwolf
05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Ummmm... No.

1750 is not hard to earn, just jump into some of the 'Favor' groups that are always LFM. Besides 32 point builds, there are lots of perks you will get from the individual houses for earning their favor.

Kris_P._Letus
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Thank Deathseeker.

I am on Thelanis. My main toon is "Zeroeleven". I'm currently not in a guild, and due to my limited time playing I wind up soloing alot or PUGging. I'll definitely hit you guys up in the next day or so.

bah. i cant help you then. im on ghallanda.

AND STOP REROLLING!!!! lol. :P

moorewr
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
My top favor character (my 16th level cleric) has been stuck in the 1500s for ages, but I have only myself to blame for playing my alts. Don't hand out what you get for 1750, I want the satisfaction of getting there myself.

I would like to see some more "total favor" perks. at 800 and 1250, perhaps.. less impressive than the builds, but perks.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank Deathseeker.

1. Don't reroll your toons
2. Stick with one and get your favor with it.
3. Enjoy 32 point build.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
yep. i agree. if the devs were to say "ok guys. youve played long enough. here are 32 pointers for EVERYBODY!!!" i wouldnt be that mad. or disapointed. or jealous. or want to quit or anything, but i would feel cheated. like, "i put out all that effort to earn my spot, when all i had to do was wait for the easy button??? why bother with anything else when i can just wait, and beg for it on the forums and have it givin to me??"

besides. when you finally do achieve the 32 pointer, it gives you sense of achievment, almost like pulling your first vorpal. (well, is how i felt anyway.....all tingly and lovey inside...... :o )

btw, thatguy, i love yer sig. "loot gods are jerks" lmao. aint that the TRUTH!!!

Thank Delscorcho for that sig, he was miffed one loot weekend for getting **** and uttered the now famous words. LoL

Raiderone
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry not a casual player. But stick to your highest favored toon. I have three toons on Ghallanda at 1750 favor.
Took me 5 weeks for 1750 favor and 14 levels..then started all 32 builds and deleted all my 28's.

Important thing is to join groups that get you right to Elite instead of having to go thru all three difficulties.
You can even ask a PUG if he has another toon to open on Elite. Just swap them out.
Yah, If you solo too much favor will be very hard to get.

I play on Thelanis at times but those toons cannot help you. Although I'm ready to start getting favor
on other servers cause after the Monk, I'll be using all 9 character slots in Ghallanda.

narizue
05-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Are you in a decent guild?

If the answer is yes then favor chase should be pretty easy. Ask your guildies for help. There are almost always folks looking for favor on one alt or another. I worked 3 characters to 1750, but have gotten 2 more over that mark simply by helping guildies on favor runs.

It also helps to have a plan for favor. Know where the best favor/time quests are. With someone who knows the quest stuff like From Beyond the Grave, Chamber of Rahmat, Chamber of Khourresh, Purge the Fallen Shrine and Raid the Vulkorim are all east and fast favor. Without stopping by to visit my friends the General, Thirsty One, and the Mephit after each quest running on elite, all four takes about an hour and nets over 60 favor.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Sorry not a casual player. But stick to your highest favored toon. I have three toons on Ghallanda at 1750 favor.
Took me 5 weeks for 1750 favor and 14 levels..then started all 32 builds and deleted all my 28's.

Important thing is to join groups that get you right to Elite instead of having to go thru all three difficulties.
You can even ask a PUG if he has another toon to open on Elite. Just swap them out.
Yah, If you solo too much favor will be very hard to get.

I play on Thelanis at times but those toons cannot help you. Although I'm ready to start getting favor
on other servers cause after the Monk, I'll be using all 9 character slots in Ghallanda.

Middlesex County here Raiderone.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 01:36 PM
If the answer is yes then favor chase should be pretty easy. Ask your guildies for help. There are almost always folks looking for favor on one alt or another. I worked 3 characters to 1750, but have gotten 2 more over that mark simply by helping guildies on favor runs.

It also helps to have a plan for favor. Know where the best favor/time quests are. With someone who knows the quest stuff like From Beyond the Grave, Chamber of Rahmat, Chamber of Khourresh, Purge the Fallen Shrine and Raid the Vulkorim are all east and fast favor. Without stopping by to visit my friends the General, Thirsty One, and the Mephit after each quest running on elite, all four takes about an hour and nets over 60 favor.

That's a solid plan for favor. But will it be heard? That is the question.

Halpo
05-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay When I want favor I look at my list plop up a group for the quest bingo have it. When I wanted 1750 I built a cleric and then asked groups to go out and do the quest I needed. If they didn't I droped and formed the group for the favor I needed I mean I was the cleric only needed to find tanks and their are loads of those. Took about 1 month of playing time but I learned alot.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Okay When I want favor I look at my list plop up a group for the quest bingo have it. When I wanted 1750 I built a cleric and then asked groups to go out and do the quest I needed. If they didn't I droped and formed the group for the favor I needed I mean I was the cleric only needed to find tanks and their are loads of those. Took about 1 month of playing time but I learned alot.

The OP needs to stop rerolling, that's his problem. He wants to continue reroll and have his favor. Thats not fair is it? If you want the favor stop rerolling and run that toon to 1750. If you didn't reroll so much you wouldn't be on here asking for a free 32 point build. What about the others that put the time in? Is that fair to them? I think not.

narizue
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
That's a solid plan for favor. But will it be heard? That is the question.

All yah can do is give someone the tools. They choose whether or not to use them. With a good guild and some work you can rack up alot of favor in limited playtime. My wife created a toon over on Sarlona for the expressed purpose of unlocking 32 point builds there. The whole idea is to test the builds before returning to play them on her home server. She found a cool guild and a couple of weeks later is at over 1100 favor. It takes effort, focus, and help.

Favor to 1750 is not like the chore that it was back when the favor system was launched. When Mod 3 rolled out you had to complete all but a handful of quests on elite. Now with the favor cap around 2600 or so you only need to complete about 67% of the quests in the game on elite to have your favor.

I disagree with the idea of giving away the 32 point builds and would suggest that the OP stick with a build to 1750. If you need help and are on Thelanis feel free to contact me. The characters are in the sig, but if you ask any of my guildies if Jaerle is on they can let you know.

thatguy
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
All yah can do is give someone the tools. They choose whether or not to use them. With a good guild and some work you can rack up alot of favor in limited playtime. My wife created a toon over on Sarlona for the expressed purpose of unlocking 32 point builds there. The whole idea is to test the builds before returning to play them on her home server. She found a cool guild and a couple of weeks later is at over 1100 favor. It takes effort, focus, and help.

Favor to 1750 is not like the chore that it was back when the favor system was launched. When Mod 3 rolled out you had to complete all but a handful of quests on elite. Now with the favor cap around 2600 or so you only need to complete about 67% of the quests in the game on elite to have your favor.

I disagree with the idea of giving away the 32 point builds and would suggest that the OP stick with a build to 1750. If you need help and are on Thelanis feel free to contact me. The characters are in the sig, but if you ask any of my guildies if Jaerle is on they can let you know.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

ktb
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the tips folks.

Quick question, is it rude to just ask to join a guild? The few times I have taken people up on their invites, they have always been relatively new guilds and devolve pretty quickly.

Thanks

Elfboy
05-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't think the devs are going to do that, and I don't think that most of the community would want them to.

The 1750 is not that difficult if you make it your top priority. You can easily pick up 40-50 favor in an hour or less up until you get to around 1650, then you will probably have to do a few painful quests to finish up, but getting 1750 favor takes about 1/3 the time it takes to level a toon (or less).

Try not running the shroud one night and instead start doing the lowest level quests you don't yet have on elite. Put up an LFM saying favor. In the time you would have taken to run the shroud you will have gained 50 or more favor.

The 32 point build doesn't much matter anyway as my 32 point toons mostly suck in comparison to my old 28 point toons.

If you've only ever reached 1100 and you ahve a toon at or near level cap, then you've never tried to get favor (don't blame your wife and kids, you picked which dungeons you ran). Try it for a while, it will get you a lot more 32 point toons much faster than begging on the forums.

Some of us don't like rerunning the same **** 3-4 times just to get it on elite.

LOUDRampart
05-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Quick question, is it rude to just ask to join a guild? The few times I have taken people up on their invites, they have always been relatively new guilds and devolve pretty quickly.

Thanks

What's the worse they are going to say? No? My advice is if you find a "guild group" that invited you to fill the party and you enjoyed playing with them, ask them if you could join. One of several things will happen. They will tell you no, you will find a great group of people with whom you can play, you find they aren't all that fun and eventually leave the guild.

Strakeln
05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Personally, I'd rather see them get rid of unlockable races/build points and just grant them to everyone. It's a dis-incentive to new and returning players w/o 1750.

Let me give you an example: a friend of mine from work got me into this game. He likes to test out builds and try out different things. Once he unlocked drow, he finally made a character he liked enough to work on leveling. When he was close to the cap, he started working on favor, eventually burning out before reaching 1750. He went on to explore other games.

A while later, he came back. Wanted to try making a str-based dwarven ranger, as they had just received both ranger and dwarf love. However, he didn't want to make a 28-point build that he'd later feel was "gimped" (or something to that effect). So he was stuck with either another drow (which would be his 4th? :eek:) or stuck with finishing off 1750. So he went back into trying to get favor, and once again burned out quickly.

This cycle repeated again when mod 6 came out. And I'm sure it will come around with mod 7... either he'll roll a drow monk or he'll burn out trying to finish the 1750 grind.

Yeah, yeah, I know, 1750 isn't all that hard, etc etc. Part of the problem is that every time he comes back, it's with a fresh mod, so no one wants to run favor when there's new content (and he's generally too little for new high level stuff).

All that said, I'm in favor of the OP's suggestion. It would be a nice middle ground for keeping the 1750 timesink in effect while still drawing back some who loathe that specific grind.

narizue
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks

Best bet is to take note of the guilds that folks you like running with are a part of. Ask them if they are recruiting. It never hurts to ask. Beyond that the server forums often have posts indicating when a guild is recruiting. Also as folks in game about the guilds on your server and get their feedback. Even if Bob from the Fantastic Knights may not be recruiting he may know of a great guild that is.

sda3
05-30-2008, 02:08 AM
You can already build a 32 point character, as long as you have 400 favor and don't mind it being a drow. They start as 32 point characters.

DelScorcho
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Some of us don't like rerunning the same **** 3-4 times just to get it on elite.

If you are not running elite missions, you probably don't need the 32 point builds. My advise - get some friends. Those friends may be willing to open quests for you on elite.

Riddikulus
05-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks
As with anything involving people it depends. Never hurts to ask... if they say no you probably didn't want to be in that guild anyway.

If you want a large stable guild just sort the "Who" list by guild and see who is the biggest and has a good variety of classes and ask a few of it's players about it.

ktb
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been doing the favor run for the past 2 days and have accumulated another 100 point. I have met some really nice people, but I'm not sure this is the mechanic that the devs had in mind.

Essentialy, I've (F9/W1) have been running quests where a couple of lvl 16 toons blast everything in sight. Definitely not without some entertaintment value, but it can get old (then again it was the Pit..who made that thing?).

City of Heroes does something neat with a program that gives perks based on the length of time your account has been open. That seems to encourage casual players like myself to maintain a subscription. Of course, more subsriptions --> more money --> more new content.

darthmaul121783
05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
this is a bad idia for 1 reason and 1 reason only:

We all had to eurn the right to make 32pt builds so if they just give it to you then what is the point of having to unlock it. would you like them to add Drow to the list as well so that anyone thats just starting the game can make a drow?

Just ask your guilds for help even if you only have 1 hour a night you can do this just don't run the same quest every night. 1 hour a week will be had but if you have freinds in game you can do this faily easily.

Riddikulus
05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been doing the favor run for the past 2 days and have accumulated another 100 point. I have met some really nice people, but I'm not sure this is the mechanic that the devs had in mind.

Essentialy, I've (F9/W1) have been running quests where a couple of lvl 16 toons blast everything in sight. Definitely not without some entertaintment value, but it can get old (then again it was the Pit..who made that thing?).

City of Heroes does something neat with a program that gives perks based on the length of time your account has been open. That seems to encourage casual players like myself to maintain a subscription. Of course, more subsriptions --> more money --> more new content.
Speaking of which City of Heroes also has that "sidekick"/"exemplar" system which would be real handy here. That let a low level share in the XP/rewards of high level quests and vice versa, all scaled appropriately. So those level 16's could go into the level 1 quest for favor and have a level appropriate challenge rather than just nuking everything, and a level 1 could actually go on a shroud raid and have half a chance of contributing to the battle, but the end rewards would be scaled down to level appropriate... I killed the demon and got pair of +4 AC bracers! woot! :)

LOUDRampart
05-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Speaking of which City of Heroes also has that "sidekick"/"exemplar" system which would be real handy here.

I liked the system in CoX. I proposed something like this way back in closed beta but call it "hireling/henchmen." Not too many players liked the idea back then (but then not many of them had played CoX.

Philam
05-31-2008, 11:03 AM
No offense-but bad idea!

darkrune
06-01-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks

HEy man i feel your pain... I am also on Thelanis

Post your alts names and classes on here, general playing times (if standard) or pm them to me and I will take it up with the other officers in our guild if you are still needing help...

If you can stand the loot who.r.ingness of our group we will offer a helping hand. We have more than a few causal (3-4 nights a week 3-4 hrs per night) and more than a few all day/all nighters.

We can give it a chance see if it is a good fit...

Dark.
Officer of Hells Stormriders

Edit: as to the give the 32pt for free HELL no!! Everyone needs to earn it. I even tell my RL brother who is a casual player (as described above) this all the time when he complains. I tell him stop leveling his lowbie and run the favor...