PDA

View Full Version : Massively previews Module 7!

Tolero
05-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Our friends at Massively have posted their experiences with Module 7: The Way of the Monk!

Check out the article here! (http://www.massively.com/2008/05/27/massively-previews-dungeons-and-dragons-onlines-module-7/)

DME543
05-27-2008, 09:09 AM
says it all

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Though I am still Upset there will not be the "Traditional" 6 Man quests added in this Mod for High level, and that we seem not to be getting new spells to make up for the lack in Mod 6, I must say the new Content does look interesting..

That said.. Would prefer they worked on the stuff I am upset about.

RazorrX
05-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Pretty sweet preview. :) Glad to see we are getting good coverage! I give the new stuff a definite Two Thumbs Up! :D

Quanefel
05-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Sweet! And an added note of something I came across was this in that article:

"And we were also told that the Module will feature an improved chat system, as well as the addition of quivers to the inventory (so players can save all of their ammo in one inventory slot, rather than taking up extra space with all of it). And of course the crafting system is getting an anticipated update as well -- there are thirty to forty recipes being added, as well as "about a half dozen" eldritch rituals, so there should be more for players to mess around with in that system as well."

30-40 recipes as well as about half a dozen new eldritch rituals. I wonder what they are going to be like.

Cowdenicus
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
yet no cleric love, not even metamagic enhancements.

No new spells, only 2 new raids for those of us that have been capped for months.

Rilen
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
30-40 recipes as well as about half a dozen new eldritch rituals. I wonder what they are going to be like.
Cant speak to the new recipies .. but at least 5 new rituals were posted previously:

- Alchemical Armor
- Alchemical Shield
- Force Damage Ritual
- Force Crit Ritual
- Resistance Ritual

JayDubya
05-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Looking forward to the new stuff. Next Tuesday isn't so far away.

Garth_of_Sarlona
05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Definitely looks impressive. Getting excited now.

Is there a final decision on whether Abundant Step will behave like it did in the video/review, or like it does on Risia (100% haste boost for a few seconds)?

Garth

RavenStormclaw
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Loved the preview.

2 Things i gotta say

1) Backflip kicks......nufff said! The definitive reason I'm rolling a monk

2) Did anyone else catch the reference to daily quests? Wasn't sure if that would be for this mod or not? Still an interesting idea and a way to get some quick xp. Will wait to see more info on this one.

Raven

Coldin
05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
2) Did anyone else catch the reference to daily quests? Wasn't sure if that would be for this mod or not? Still an interesting idea and a way to get some quick xp. Will wait to see more info on this one.

Raven

The daily quests, are like bounty hunts. You can pick up these quests in the harbor or in WW, and you're basically tasked to kill a certain named mob, or in some cases, collect a certain amount of collectibles from kobolds. You're given a bag too, similar to the gem/collectible bags to put your bounty items in.

Once you kill your bounty, and assuming they drop a collectible, you can then collect their head or some personal item. When you bring the bounty back, you get 200 xp. Then you have to wait 10 or so hours till you can pick up another quest. There's about 6 of these quests in the harbor, and I haven't seen any others in the high level areas of the game.

Eladrin
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Definitely looks impressive. Getting excited now.

Is there a final decision on whether Abundant Step will behave like it did in the video/review, or like it does on Risia (100% haste boost for a few seconds)?
Abundant Step hasn't changed - it should be the same on Risia as it was in the video. Activate it in mid-air while jumping to superjump. (I bind it to my mouse thumb button.)

It's an incredibly useful ability since it lets you leap past monsters or across normally impassable chasms.

JayDubya
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
The daily quests, are like bounty hunts. You can pick up these quests in the harbor or in WW, and you're basically tasked to kill a certain named mob, or in some cases, collect a certain amount of collectibles from kobolds. You're given a bag too, similar to the gem/collectible bags to put your bounty items in.

Once you kill your bounty, and assuming they drop a collectible, you can then collect their head or some personal item. When you bring the bounty back, you get 200 xp. Then you have to wait 10 or so hours till you can pick up another quest. There's about 6 of these quests in the harbor, and I haven't seen any others in the high level areas of the game.

I've been doing some of these quests on my monk. There's an interesting balance to strike here:

a) The number of bags in my inventory
b) The value of incidental xp

Each character needs to decide for themselves which of these is more important. I *suspect* that new players will find the xp more helpful, and will also have less "twink" gear filling up their inventory, and will find these quests useful (especially since they help provide suggestions for where to go to get XP).

I suspect that experienced players will find them a waste of time, beyond the first two or three, since the xp reward is small vs. running waterworks several times.

However, all in all, that's not necessarily a bad tradeoff.

Boulderun
05-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Abundant Step hasn't changed - it should be the same on Risia as it was in the video. Activate it in mid-air while jumping to superjump. (I bind it to my mouse thumb button.)

It's an incredibly useful ability since it lets you leap past monsters or across normally impassable chasms.

So is that how the Abbot is supposed to be completed now?

Qzipoun
05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
No new high level quests?

Big big big mistake...

*sigh*

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
No new high level quests?

Big big big mistake...

*sigh*

Believe me.. I am still amazed to that fact...

Missing_Minds
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM

We already know the eldrithc rituals. They've been dev posted. As for the other ones... Monk weapons should end up comprising about... 3 to 5 of them I suspect. and I've got suspicions on others, but that in and of itself only makes a total guess of about 15 recpies compared to the "30-40" stated.

MysticTheurge
05-27-2008, 11:15 AM
That said.. Would prefer they worked on the stuff I am upset about.

Ah, but don't we all?

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Ah, but don't we all?

Problem is.. not everyone is upset about the things I am.... and they should be!!!!... The World revolves around me damn it!!!!!:D:p;)

Lorien_the_First_One
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM

lol... well that either means some quests are about to become broken... or they have built parts of the new quest to require monks... or both

Coldin
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been doing some of these quests on my monk. There's an interesting balance to strike here:

a) The number of bags in my inventory
b) The value of incidental xp

Each character needs to decide for themselves which of these is more important. I *suspect* that new players will find the xp more helpful, and will also have less "twink" gear filling up their inventory, and will find these quests useful (especially since they help provide suggestions for where to go to get XP).

I suspect that experienced players will find them a waste of time, beyond the first two or three, since the xp reward is small vs. running waterworks several times.

However, all in all, that's not necessarily a bad tradeoff.

I personally rather like the bounty system. It adds a nice dynamic to typical questing through the low level stuff. True, it does take up a few inventory spots, but I think only heavy twinkers will really find that to be a problem. It also should be nicer for folks that come to DDO from WoW or LotRO since it's a little similar to quests there.

Ganak
05-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Awesome!

*EDIT: The end of the video lists June 3rd as the release date!

MrWizard
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Our friends at Massively have posted their experiences with Module 7: The Way of the Monk!

Check out the article here! (http://www.massively.com/2008/05/27/massively-previews-dungeons-and-dragons-onlines-module-7/)

so, in a round about way, without mentioning a word to ddo members, you have set a possible date for june 3rd to bring out the new content.

thanks for letting us know, sort of.

I would not mind if you kinda had a news section where you tell us things, even if they are 'maybe' type of news...like maybe this will happen 'then' and maybe it won't.

But to not really have a news outlet for things kinda makes it hard to stay interested. Until this moment I was pretty much resigned to a late june launch and was gonna give up. WHy be so vague when you can say 'target date' or possible date.....if late then maybe this date....etc.

sigh...

we are just as excited as you guys are, but you leave us in the dark so much...I just do not understand why.

TreknaQudane
05-27-2008, 12:28 PM
we are just as excited as you guys are, but you leave us in the dark so much...I just do not understand why.

I'm willing to bet that half the time the player base is in the 'dark' because many people here will take 'we hope', 'we want', 'we're thinking of' as promises of a certain feature or a certain date. It's much easier to save time and frustration by not having people hounding after things they were 'promised' by releasing information much closer to the release date.

Duplicate_18
05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I think the main gripe is that they haven't told us yet. They told a news organization a target date and have not told the players. I will look forgward to playing a monk on the live server on June 3rd. Just wish I didn't have to find out on a different site.

-Chi

MysticTheurge
05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I think the main gripe is that they haven't told us yet. They told a news organization a target date and have not told the players.

Telling a news organization is telling the players.

Unless you think that they think that we're too stupid to figure it out from the article.

moorewr
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM
From the article:
He said that both Lord of the Rings Online (another big licensed Turbine property) and DDO have ten year plans stretching out ahead of them, and that Turbine is committed to building their games over time, steadily releasing content and improvements with updates.

How can we construe this as a sign of doom? Help me out here. :rolleyes:

Gratch
05-27-2008, 01:02 PM
No new spells, only 2 new raids for those of us that have been capped for months.

"only 2 new raids" ???? Um. We've never had 2 new raids in a module before.

And given capped toons that I know spend most of their time in raids.... and the more epic feel of the raid over the 6 man quest for our L16 toons. I'm happy. Of course, I was initially expecting that the Monk module would only have lower level quests anyways... so any high level content is welcome. There's also a 12 person outdoor area as well as the 2 raids.

It will be interesting to see how monks do at the high levels. From the cleric perspective it feels sort of like another low dps type that's going to take lots of healing in shroud part 4. At least until someone finds the uber monk multiclass build. Maybe Sun stance will make them worth it to play at cap.

Aspenor
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Am I the only one that kinda thinks Massively stinks at these write-ups??? I mean the info Turbine released was there...maybe I just don't like the format...

Gunga
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Wow, Cow.

Gunga
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Turbine, grats on a positive review. I'm looking forward to MOD 7 going live.

Gryphton
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
yeah that was a nice preview. I'm wondering what the story with the live event they spoke of is? Does anyone know or have a link?

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow, Cow.

your missing his point...Though I do not agree with him on cleric at this point.. Turbine has done an excellent job with enhancements this Mod... There is something that should have been addressed and not...

Spells... 2 Mods and so few level 8 spells is not acceptable by me... They need to support their capped casters, Right now as is, being able to cast level 8 spells almost means nothing because of the poor selection of them... and waiting over ~10 months to solve that is to long.

Traditional "6 man" quests, right now we only have 5 for high level, that is also not acceptable by me. Raids are cool and all but their bread and butter are the quests. What made them think that they don't need them and the level cap players can wait ~10 months for a decent amount of high level content I will never understand.

Though I love what they are adding, to me they are working on the wrong stuff at the wrong time.

All these issues should have been solved in Mod 6, they should have put a greater emphasis on supporting the level increase with content, feats, enhancements and spells, and pushed back what ever it was that took away from that support to a Mod that did not have a Level Increase.

I can only hope that the issues they caused because of this will be solved in Mod 8... But I find that hard to believe since most likely they will be worrying about The level increase that most likely will be coming in Mod 8.... It makes me worry that we will be waiting for a year until we see what we should have seen in Mod 6...

Gunga
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM
your missing his point...Though I do not agree with him on cleric at this point.. Turbine has done an excellent job with enhancements this Mod... There is something that should have been addressed and not...

Spells... 2 Mods and so few level 8 spells is not acceptable by me... They need to support their capped casters, Right now as is, being able to cast level 8 spells almost means nothing because of the poor selection of them... and waiting over ~10 months to solve that is to long.

Traditional "6 man" quests, right now we only have 5 for high level, that is also not acceptable by me. Raids are cool and all but their bread and butter are the quests. What made them think that they don't need them and the level cap players can wait ~10 months for a decent amount of high level content I will never understand.

Though I love what they are adding, to me they are working on the wrong stuff at the wrong time.

All these issues should have been solved in Mod 6, they should have put a greater emphasis on supporting the level increase with content, feats, enhancements and spells, and pushed back what ever it was that took away from that support to a Mod that did not have a Level Increase.

I can only hope that the issues they caused because of this will be solved in Mod 8... But I find that hard to believe since most likely they will be worrying about The level increase that most likely will be coming in Mod 8.... It makes me worry that we will be waiting for a year until we see what we should have seen in Mod 6...

Huh. Wow to you, too.

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Huh. Wow to you, too.

you think there is enough spells/feats/ 6 man quests for Capped players?

Desteria
05-27-2008, 03:39 PM
It will be interesting to see how monks do at the high levels. From the cleric perspective it feels sort of like another low dps type that's going to take lots of healing in shroud part 4. At least until someone finds the uber monk multiclass build. Maybe Sun stance will make them worth it to play at cap.

I think that may not be... I've been playing with some numbers and i have my planed monk build where it can hit 85ish AC fully buffed, (pally needed), for shroud part 4-5, With improved evasion and a ref save in the 30's, while doing smalish hits BUT at dubble haste speed if what's been posted about wind stance 2-3 is correct and still have over 350 hp....
near as I can see that should mean that on norm he needs a nat 20 to hit, and I should only ever take half damage form a fire ball about one per combat and that one will basicaly take the prot out... build dependant I think monks can be the most surivable, while still doing reasnable dps... so I don't think you cleric needs to worrie about all monks being healing sponges, I mean I've grouped with some pug barbs that had less HP then my ranger and less dps then my fighter, (fighter beign on the lower end of Ranger->barb->rouge->fighter->pally DPS scale against big red), so yes there will be some monks that are lower dps lower hp lower ac and just not that great to heal but the same can be said for any character that hasent had some thought and work put in to it class irrelivent.

Gunga
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM

Nope. But I think the addition of the Monk Class in a game known for the finest character customization available in any MMO is a smart move, especially on a limited budget and faced with defending the current player base to one of the most anticipated MMO launches since it's inception. I really wouldn't want or expect every possible change to occur in every MOD. I also feel that Clerics are last in line for any adjustments, and I find arguments for immediate Cleric attention just plain silly. :)

RazorrX
05-27-2008, 03:46 PM
IMO they (turbine) have been doing okay.

Mod 6 was for high levels, it included a level increase, more feats, more spells and new areas/quests/raid for high level characters.

Mod 7 is for everyone, old and new players. It includes a new class that has been fulling integrated to the game up to the max level, items, etc. New mid level encounter area, some new quests, a few revisions on existing ones AND it even adds 3 high level raids.

Turbine needs to impress/gain new players as well as taking care of the capped ones. I think they have done well with this.

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Nope. But I think the addition of the Monk Class in a game known for the finest character customization available in any MMO is a smart move, especially on a limited budget and faced with defending the current player base to one of the most anticipated MMO launches since it's inception. I really wouldn't want or expect every possible change to occur in every MOD. I also feel that Cleric's are last in line for any adjustments, and I find arguments for immediate Cleric attention just plain silly. :)

I don't disagree on the Cleric.. Cleric other then spells are not a priority

But Something still needs to be done to address what was lacking in Mod 6.. If not Mod 7, and most likely not Mod 8 *though of course I can not be sure of that* then it will have to be Mod 9, which means another 8-10 months on top of the 4 months we already waited.

That is a long time.

Though in Mod 8 we should see some more traditional quests I would hope. but that is ~8 months wait, which is also a long time.

Gunga
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't disagree on the Cleric.. Cleric other then spells are not a priority

But Something still needs to be done to address what was lacking in Mod 6.. If not Mod 7, and most likely not Mod 8 *though of course I can not be sure of that* then it will have to be Mod 9, which means another 8-10 months on top of the 4 months we already waited.

That is a long time.

Though in Mod 8 we should see some more traditional quests I would hope. but that is ~8 months wait, which is also a long time.

I hate to bore the thread with our little chat, but if you're having a hard time waiting around for Turbine to fulfill your wishes, maybe just play into the changes they have made for you. Roll a Monk. You won't be waiting around for things you don't have.

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Mod 6 was for high levels, it included a level increase, more feats, more spells and new areas/quests/raid for high level characters.

You must have missed Mod 3 & 4 if you think they supported the level increase in Mod 6

We got plenty of feats/enhancements almost a total of 100 spells in between those mods 40 + in each Mod..

In mod 6 we got a handful of enhancements, ~17 spells 1 or 2 feats and though the amount of quests were not that bad.. it was pushing it for a mod that was advertised as going to be bigger because of the new dev schedule.

They did not support the level increase... anyone who thinks they did missed what they did the last 2 level increases before mod 6.

the rest of your comments I agree with... they need to do all of that to... but.. because of the new dev schedule they should be able to do more.

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I hate to bore the thread with our little chat, but if you're having a hard time waiting around for Turbine to fulfill your wishes, maybe just play into the changes they have made for you. Roll a Monk. You won't be waiting around for things you don't have.

Not making a Monk until the add Half-Orc.. :D

I am going to enjoy what they added... I am just disappointed in the new dev schedule not working out as I hoped.

Gunga
05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Not making a Monk until the add Half-Orc.. :D

I am going to enjoy what they added... I am just disappointed in the new dev schedule not working out as I hoped.

Wow. :D

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow. :D

Not a Big WoW fan either.. :D:p;)

This will be the only MMO I will ever play until a few years down the road when the World of Darkness MMO is released :D.

I get a bit passionate about it... because I refuse to leave it..:D:p;)

Naash
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
In the pic's that go with the article....

http://www.massively.com/photos/dungeons-and-dragons-online-module-7-walkthrough/821223/

Is that a teeny-weeny beholder or just an odd camera angle?
Fear the Beholder swarms!

(edit)....and I should have read the article first.......

adamkatt
05-27-2008, 04:52 PM

I agree with cow... Let our clerics have the choice to make their damage spell extra powerful! BB critting for 1000 points.. mmmmmmm

moorewr
05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
In the pic's that go with the article....

http://www.massively.com/photos/dungeons-and-dragons-online-module-7-walkthrough/821223/

Is that a teeny-weeny beholder or just an odd camera angle?
Fear the Beholder swarms!

(edit)....and I should have read the article first.......

Yep, the review says "you just want to hug them while they strip your levels away." :)

dragnmoon
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Yep, the review says "you just want to hug them while they strip your levels away." :)

This is the Beholder I would Love to see added to the game.. :D;)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x226/dragnmoon/beholder.jpg

Edit: For those that don't get it... think Coppertone Ads *may be to old for some ;)

Quanefel
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
We already know the eldrithc rituals. They've been dev posted. As for the other ones... Monk weapons should end up comprising about... 3 to 5 of them I suspect. and I've got suspicions on others, but that in and of itself only makes a total guess of about 15 recpies compared to the "30-40" stated.

I am sure you are right about some of them being monk weapons being added to the shroud crafting. But me, I am thinking that besides monk weapons there might be the other missing weapons, items and maybe....just maybe some shields/armor tossed in? I'd like to think they would finally throw those at us to make.

DasLurch
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
The Massively article is nice and all, even if it is coming out in June as aopposed to May or April. Still thanks for the info on the live date. It is appriciated, but I really have to say I'm disappointed in what seems to be the complete lack of high level quests added in this so called Module. I would think that the extra 6 weeks or so of time that went into the update from the original April target would have been enough to add at least a few at some point. It seems to me that if "Mod 6" and "Mod 7" were added together, we would have actually seemed to have received a full module update. Here's hoping that maybe we'll see some permanent new quests added at the bug fixing patch because it seems that the only content that is availible for high level players now is raids. While these raids are fun, they just tend to be long time consuming quests as well. I think it would be nice to have some other shorter quests added soon, so here's hoping. I'm also have to add that I'm a bit suprised that no spells have been fixed or added in this release too. I guess that is what 7.1 will be for. */fingerscrossed!

Anywho, I honestly want to thank you on not being so secretive at last Turbine et all. This is not a sarcastic statement in anyway. It's nice when you finally share some of the information that we all covet. I just wish that you could have spoken up some sooner, like say 2-3 weeks ago... Sadly for you any anyone who reads one of my posts, I tend to not be a very patient person at times :)

Pellegro
05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Great preview!!!

Like many others, I'm also depressed that there are no regular quests for high level characters.

On the other hand, I can see why they've chosen to do an extra raid instead of 4 or 5 quests (probably a rough equivalent).

I think the majority of players run the regular quests between 5 and 10 times (if even?), and then they just run raids over and over again.

I like both, with a slight preference for quests, but I'm in the minority. And even with my preference, I tend to run the Raids more anyway because that's what my guild and friends are doing .....

So adding another "raid" does make sense ...

mgoldb2
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I have a suspicion but am hoping I wrong that when they say 2 raids they mean 2 raids like dq/reaver or in other words we getting 2 raid boss fights not an entire raid quest like titan part 1/von 5 or even shroud. The "quest" part will just be getting there through the outside area.

hopefully am wrong.

If am not wrong it not entirely bad as the adventure area look quite extensive but still would be disappointing to me the lack of content being added if am right.

Tenkari_Rozahas
05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Considering how long it might have taken to make the monks (remember, they changed unarmed attack anims for them.) and all the coding for their abilities, I'm actually pleased they managed to get other stuff aside from just the class in.

Hvymetal
05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
The unfortunate truth is there never will be......

RigorAdar
05-28-2008, 10:06 AM
There is no point in adding new quests without having a reason to run them more than once for favor. The only quests that are ever really repeated in this game are the ones that give some kind of collectable needed for a raid or drop a usefull named item.

IMHO they need to update every quest with an appropriate named item that would be usefull to somebody. Then people would stop complaining about limited content, for the most part, and run many of the lesser known quests. It wouldnt solve all of the problems but it would do alot to keep the game fresher.

My 2 cents.

moorewr
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
There's no point in adding new quests??

The new content ought to be fun and rewarding so it gets replayed. There's no call to turn every quest into part of a raid/crafting chain. There are quests I hate that I can avoid, and I want to keep avoiding them.. hopefully by exploring new content.

There is no point in adding new quests without having a reason to run them more than once for favor. The only quests that are ever really repeated in this game are the ones that give some kind of collectable needed for a raid or drop a usefull named item.

IMHO they need to update every quest with an appropriate named item that would be usefull to somebody. Then people would stop complaining about limited content, for the most part, and run many of the lesser known quests. It wouldnt solve all of the problems but it would do alot to keep the game fresher.

My 2 cents.

RigorAdar
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Im not suggesting that they make new quests have some kind of crafting/raid collectable.

Of all the mid level quests with (the exception of Delaras/Tangle/Stormcleave XP runs) the one you keep going back to is Xorian Cypher, why because of named loot. If other quests dropped useful gear they would be run more is all im saying.

moorewr
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Im not suggesting that they make new quests have some kind of crafting/raid collectable.

Of all the mid level quests with (the exception of Delaras/Tangle/Stormcleave XP runs) the one you keep going back to is Xorian Cypher, why because of named loot. If other quests dropped useful gear they would be run more is all im saying.

Ah, I see. THe original post lead me to believe you meant something rather different.. More static end rewards I can get behind.

I run Co6 a lot for the same reason.. and Delera's some... too bad the game has gone away from the static model for the most part.. other than the 5th part of the most recent Necropolis set...

Angelus_dead
02-02-2009, 02:31 AM

The best part of being a monk!