PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday May 27th: Monk Sparring on Risia with the Developers!

Tolero
05-23-2008, 05:14 PM
So, you come seeking knowledge of the Way of the Monk?
Many students have begun their journey on the Risia server, and now you too can join in the lessons...

To kick off Monk Week, there will be a dojo sparring for all Monk students on the Risia Preview server Tuesday, May 27th at 8:00 PM EST (-4 GMT). Join one of our four Monk masters in the PvP taverns of Stormreach, where you may use your Monk skill against other students to experiment with your new found abilities.

Our masters of water, air, fire, and earth will be handing out hats and masks for students at the following Taverns:

The Wayward Lobster, located in the Harbor
The Hammersmith Inn, located in the House Deneith ward
The Open Palm, located in the House Jorasco ward
The Phoenix Tavern, located in the Marketplace

These Monk masters can be found near Jackson Laws, assisting students with forming their all Monk sparring parties for use in Death Matches and Capture the Flag. Perhaps even the masters shall challenge Monk parties, to educate them in the arts of combat. For instructions on how you may download the Risia preview server, read more in our Knowledgebase article (http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/ddo.support/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=4171). Come forth students, for the Way of the Monk is rewarding and enlightening. Now you too may begin the journey!

Xithos
05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Your kung-fu is weak grasshopper :D

MrCow
05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Does the sparring include a giant stuffed troglodyte to wail on while we practice? :D

Coldin
05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Cool.

GreenGurgler
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Well I guess that answers the question that many have been wondering :What exactly does Monk week mean in terms of release date??

Well I guess it means it isnt going to be released in the Month of May or we would be having Spar with the Dev's in the LIVE servers not the test server. :(

To bad... really too bad.

Looks like JUNE... MAYBE

Just very disappointed.... :(

userjjb
05-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Awesome, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'll definitely be there.

Delacroix21
05-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Extremely disappointed. Cleared my schedule for "monk week" only to find all we get is 1 day of sparing with devs, comon guys. =(

BattleCircle
05-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I usually back turbine 100 percent in their work, but building us up for monk week then telling us that the fun takes place on Risia just isn't right. I am very disappointed :mad:

Xaxx
05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Well I guess that answers the question that many have been wondering :What exactly does Monk week mean in terms of release date??

Well I guess it means it isnt going to be released in the Month of May or we would be having Spar with the Dev's in the LIVE servers not the test server. :(

Looks like JUNE... MAYBE

Just very disappointed.... :(

agreed, they have monk week, say end of may for last what 3 months.. now its gonna be pushed to june, late again... go figure

and for anyone who says *this proves nothinga bout it going to june* I highly doubt that the night before (as wed is usually update day) a huge update the devs/gms would be doing a live event anywhere, they'd be preparing the servers for the update. I'm usually a defender of ddo and turbine, but have to say they're dropping the ball again.

Delacroix21
05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I usually back turbine 100 percent in their work, but building us up for monk week then telling us that the fun takes place on Risia just isn't right. I am very disappointed :mad:

I agree totally. Been in DDO since the beginning. My favorite class is the monk and I love what they did with them. i am just really dissapointed in what been going on with "monk week." I assume this announcement was spurred because of the above thread about monk week and people wondering whats going on.

I am gonna guess your original plan was to release monks on risia earlier and have monk week be the release of mod 7?

MrCow
05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I would assume that the sparring is on Risia for the reason that it is about the most centralized location that Turbine has in DDO for its player base without showing any of the other servers as their "favorite". It also means that they don't need as many people or as many time slots to make this work.

GreenGurgler
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I would assume that the sparring is on Risia for the reason that it is about the most centralized location that Turbine has in DDO for its player base without showing any of the other servers as their "favorite". It also means that they don't need as many people or as many time slots to make this work.

Yes both good points except for a large NEGATIVE point that ALOT of players dont play risia, dont know what/where risia is or dont care about playing on a test server. (why should anyone go out of their way to spend 2-5+ hours downloading and patching a game they already have to play content that should be out already just to get to play something that was hyped to all (MONK WEEK!!)?

I hope there is more for the general public during monk week and not all for Risia.

Aph
05-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall Monk Week being billed as time to learn all about monks, a week when the devs would be revealing information about them. That kind of suggested to me that they wouldn't be live yet, since we wouldn't need the devs to tell us about them if we could just go play them and figure it out ourselves.

Again, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think people should check what was actually promised for Monk Week before freaking out about broken promises.

Tyrande
05-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Can I use my DDO birthday cake of wishing to transfer whatever monk I built on Risia to my server of choice for free? :D

05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Monks are a waste of time. They are a severely gimped fighter calss that definitely needs a level of healing to make them evn somewhat viable. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but, even with a 32point build, they aren't worth getting excited about. Maybe someone sometime can make a usable multi-class using bits and pieces of monk, but it's a severly handicapped class by itself.

Auran82
05-23-2008, 10:51 PM
It would be nice if we could at least either find out how much the update from the installer to current is, or get a new installer we can download.

GeneralDiomedes
05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Extremely disappointed. Cleared my schedule for "monk week" only to find all we get is 1 day of sparing with devs, comon guys. =(

You say you've been here since the beginning and still thought it would be worth your while to clear your schedule for an entire week? I think it's time to start managing your own expectations.

Dungnmaster001
05-23-2008, 11:53 PM
OK, I'm confused... who said this was ALL that was going to go on during monk week??? This is very likely only the first of many things the devs will be doing for monk week. Give em a little credit.

Dungnmaster001
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Monks are a waste of time. They are a severely gimped fighter calss that definitely needs a level of healing to make them evn somewhat viable. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but, even with a 32point build, they aren't worth getting excited about. Maybe someone sometime can make a usable multi-class using bits and pieces of monk, but it's a severly handicapped class by itself.

Only someone who hasn't played one or doesn't play it effectively can say this. I personally love my monk. And will love the 32pt version that I'll be making when they are available on live servers even more. Done right a monk is very effective. Is it more DPS than a well built barbarian? Nope. Not even close, but that doesn't make them "gimp" (god I hate that word, so stupid sounding...sorry back on topic now). With their saves/special abilities/AC monks make very survivable characters. Now I'll admit, it's harder to make a decent monk since they are very stat dependent, even more so than paladins IMO. People seem to assume if something's not the absolute, hands down, best in the game at everything, then it sucks. There are shades of gray in everything.

DasLurch
05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
agreed, they have monk week, say end of may for last what 3 months.. now its gonna be pushed to june, late again... go figure

and for anyone who says *this proves nothinga bout it going to june* I highly doubt that the night before (as wed is usually update day) a huge update the devs/gms would be doing a live event anywhere, they'd be preparing the servers for the update. I'm usually a defender of ddo and turbine, but have to say they're dropping the ball again.

If memory serves me correct, the Devs said that they wanted to hopefully get the Monk out at the end of '07. That window missed they saaid middle of '08 back in Feburary. That would be 4 months or there about. I'm not saying that the Monk was promised though for that time period. I too will be very dissappointed if all Monk week turns out to be Risia activities. I'm not planning on downloading Risia to partake in any of the Monk-ish stuff. I'd rather enjoy it live. Maybe there will be an announcement about a patch on next Thursday. Come on Turbine, share with all of the kiddies!!!

Strakeln
05-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Looks like JUNE... MAYBE

Just very disappointed.... :(/signed

Xaxx
05-24-2008, 06:10 AM
If memory serves me correct, the Devs said that they wanted to hopefully get the Monk out at the end of '07. That window missed they saaid middle of '08 back in Feburary. That would be 4 months or there about. I'm not saying that the Monk was promised though for that time period. I too will be very dissappointed if all Monk week turns out to be Risia activities. I'm not planning on downloading Risia to partake in any of the Monk-ish stuff. I'd rather enjoy it live. Maybe there will be an announcement about a patch on next Thursday. Come on Turbine, share with all of the kiddies!!!

yeah it was originall fall of 07 then it became beginign 08 then mid 08, yet when mod 5 came around they said they were dropping the between mod updates for bigger and quicker mods, time between mod 5 and 6 4-5 months, time between 6 and 7 now gonna be over 4 months.... this isnt really any quicker then the other mods with content inbetween, and as for the content size... well 6 and 7 for pure content arent very.... large. So yeah I'd say dropping the ball. I still love this game, and as I said normally am one of the guys defending ddo from the forum trolls, but just started to be dissapointed by some of the dropped balls.

Naso24
05-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Will the event be open to monk multi-class or only pure monks?

Steiner-Davion
05-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall Monk Week being billed as time to learn all about monks, a week when the devs would be revealing information about them. That kind of suggested to me that they wouldn't be live yet, since we wouldn't need the devs to tell us about them if we could just go play them and figure it out ourselves.

Again, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think people should check what was actually promised for Monk Week before freaking out about broken promises.

That is the problem, nothing was expiciltly promised, just a vauge reference that we would learn about monks .... After months of Trubine telling us that we would get Monks with Mod 7 in MAY 2008.......

vainangel
05-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Outside of a bunch of childish expectations I had thought of a comment...

Monks would be a total change for a character animation.
animation is hard.

It is ok for all of the current classes to share the standard [everyone can do] moves. I rather they take thier time and make Monk attacks look like monk attacks and not a redone two-handed attack....

Could just be me, but I have mad respect for what the people behind DDO do. I also enjoy the work and quality they are reaching for.
If you don't like it, go play some trash like WOW.

Falconen
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Why would anyone bother to show up to get free goodies for a characters they aren't ever going to play again once the Monk goes live?
If a good size crowd shows up, it will just reinforce to Turbine, that they can continue to lead us around by the nose and not follow through with what they have told us.

I feel like they dropped the ball and getting Mod 7 released in a timely fashion (May '08). They wanted to release Mod 7 around the same time as AoC was released, as well as the new Issue 12 update to Co(X), and failed. They also missed the big, 3 day weekend for the release. Oh, well.

JohnWarlock
05-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't know where it was stated that monks where coming out in May/08, but I do know that the announcement was going to be for Turbine to "explain" to us all about monks. Now what I know is that people have been talking that monks where coming out in April/08 and it just keeps getting delayed. Yes I do agree, programming and making sure all the "new" graphics for the monk combat work are arduous, but how about a bit of honesty? You know, just keep us really well informed of what's going on, instead of a publicity stunt where probably more than half the people who didn't read between the lines thought monks where coming out.

Now more importantly, they want people to go to Risia, I don't have the time or patience, but what if they decide to transfer the Risia monks to the live servers? and what about the people who have all 9 spots with characters that are not only capped, but that have incredible loot raid and have been "working" their characters to their likings? I haven't heard anything about a new slot to create a new character. That is the kind of things many wonder, but no one hears about, and if someone does, they sure are keeping it to themselves, cause at least I haven't heard anything.

Oh and for those who say that if we don't like it, we can go to WoW or some other cheap game, excuse me but I pay for this game, I like it, but if there are things that I don't like I will raise my voice and be heard, now if you don't like it... you can always ignore it... but those of us who think we are being wronged have a right to our inquiries and desires.

vainangel
05-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh and for those who say that if we don't like it, we can go to WoW or some other cheap game, excuse me but I pay for this game, I like it, but if there are things that I don't like I will raise my voice and be heard, now if you don't like it... you can always ignore it... but those of us who think we are being wronged have a right to our inquiries and desires.

LOL

I am sure I sound silly...I am just noticing some people seem to live to make the Devs feel like ****. There is a lot of energy and time put into this game. I am willing to bet if you were friends with a programmer, you might want to be nicer to them. Sure it is thier job, but things happen and MMO's are intensely complicated. I mention WOW becasue that trash a money could code for.

Hvymetal
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Why would anyone bother to show up to get free goodies for a characters they aren't ever going to play again once the Monk goes live?
If a good size crowd shows up, it will just reinforce to Turbine, that they can continue to lead us around by the nose and not follow through with what they have told us.

I feel like they dropped the ball and getting Mod 7 released in a timely fashion (May '08). They wanted to release Mod 7 around the same time as AoC was released, as well as the new Issue 12 update to Co(X), and failed. They also missed the big, 3 day weekend for the release. Oh, well.
Just curious you have anywhere they explicitly told you mod 7 was releasing in may '08, or that the realease was going to be concurrent w/ Memorial Day, or that it was going to be released around the time of AoC, or that it was going to be released around the same time as the CoX update?

If people are reading their own expectations and deadlines into vague statements I do not at all feel sorry for your sense of dissapointment, you brought it on yourseves......

GreenGurgler
05-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Just curious you have anywhere they explicitly told you mod 7 was releasing in may '08, or that the realease was going to be concurrent w/ Memorial Day, or that it was going to be released around the time of AoC, or that it was going to be released around the same time as the CoX update?

If people are reading their own expectations and deadlines into vague statements I do not at all feel sorry for your sense of dissapointment, you brought it on yourseves......

Actually the answer is yes (depending on how you disect what they have said previously). Turbine told us Monks in 07, then they said (In a Dev interview) Monks would be Mod 7 in April 08', then they said Monks would be Mod 7 targeted May 08' (no, I am not making all these up, just becasue I dont have direct quotes of the momment they said this, enough people have heard it that I dont need cut and paste quotes, you can choose to selectivly forget what you want). Now were getting a Monk 'Preview/Info' and so far the only preview we get is on Risia (which I would bet a vast and mysterious majority of players dont have or have zero interest in downloading when they already have the game).

So it would not be fair to say this is 100% brought on ourselves when Turbine has been telling us Monks are coming and we expect that to be "XYZ" and X, Y & Z have all passed. You want to be optomistic about this Mod and Turbine and that is your choice, but the group of players that pay attention when Turbine makes a statement about what they plan and when, have every right to call Turbine out when they dispense expectations only to miss their targets.

Hey, your Birthday is coming, I bet you cant wait to see what I might be getting you!!!
How about that upcoming Birthday, huh huh.. you getting excited to see what your gonna get??
Almost time for your Birthday, your gonna love it!!!
Whoo.. any day now, boy am I excited to see the look on your face!!!
<day of Birthday> What do you mean your dissappointed that I didnt get you a present, I never ACTUALLY SAID I got you anything!!

:D

Tyrande
05-24-2008, 06:59 PM
[...]Done right a monk is very effective. Is it more DPS than a well built barbarian? Nope. Not even close, but that doesn't make them "gimp" (god I hate that word, so stupid sounding...sorry back on topic now). With their saves/special abilities/AC monks make very survivable characters. Now I'll admit, it's harder to make a decent monk since they are very stat dependent, even more so than paladins IMO. People seem to assume if something's not the absolute, hands down, best in the game at everything, then it sucks. There are shades of gray in everything.

Consider this scenario:

A 12 person Shroud raid group needs another melee. A level 16 monk and a level 16 barbarian clicked on join group at the same time.
The party leader does not know either of those two characters personally, nor do anyone in the raid group know them.

Who do you think has a higher probability of getting invited as of the DDO community consensus right now?
Who will you invite if you were the leader and if you do not know how the monk will perform in the Shroud?

I think both you and I know the answer. Almost everyone will invite the Barbarian instead of the monk.

People do not like to deal with too much uncertainties and people do not have patience.
Most of the group out there want to get the quest done fast and easy.

Most of the MMOs out there lack random events in quests/dungeons.

GeneralDiomedes
05-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Consider this scenario:

A 12 person Shroud raid group needs another melee. A level 16 monk and a level 16 barbarian clicked on join group at the same time.
The party leader does not know either of those two characters personally, nor do anyone in the raid group know them.

Who do you think has a higher probability of getting invited as of the DDO community consensus right now?
Who will you invite if you were the leader and if you do not know how the monk will perform in the Shroud?

I think both you and I know the answer. Almost everyone will invite the Barbarian instead of the monk.

People do not like to deal with too much uncertainties and people do not have patience.
Most of the group out there want to get the quest done fast and easy.

Most of the MMOs out there lack random events in quests/dungeons.

Did you just try and refute his 'shades of grey' argument with an absolute?

BrandonSmith
05-24-2008, 07:19 PM
screw risia

CaseStringer
05-25-2008, 02:24 AM
You guys should take this junk over to the Flamer's Forums!... I play on 3 servers and have over 30 on Risia...Wasn't sure i could even make 1 there...I patched and logged in a 1750 on a server i knew i had a slot open on...Low and behold!...Had an option to create. 32 to boot!:D As a Guild Leader on Thelanis i had to make a Monk to test it out so i could guide my Guildees when they start making Monks. Of course it's a Test server. Believe me, there were 4-5th level Monks the day it was released on Risia...And primarily every party is ALL Monks... BUT, the things we help each other overcome... It is very rewarding! DDO has done a great job at making the Monk a reality! (a couple of the graphics are slightly qwirky) All in all, It differs from PnP but is unlike any other DDO class to date. You can multi-class back&forth w/o limit...but a Pure Monk is a force to be reckoned with. KUDOS Turbine!;) Well worth the wait...Who knows, they may wrap up Monk Week and drop it live. If not, I'm not disappointed. Risia will have quite a few Monks that are 8-12 on Memorial Day!...Well worth coming back and working on 'em when Mod.8 makes it there!.. IMO :) ---->CASE:cool: P.S There were 8th level Monks playing there Saturday...Mebbe Higher! Go you Monkees!!!

KLBen
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I will try to be there Tuesday night for the sparring, maybe even learn a few things about the Monk that I can help my fellow guildies with. I have never played a monk before, even in PnP, so my Risia monk is not the shinging example of "Monk-dom". I play the game to have fun, period, if there are delays so the devs can try to get it right, so be it. My only question at this time is, How the heck do you get a character up that high that fast?.

Thank you for your time.

Brynn_Mawr
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
screw risia

OK, but it's sure gonna walk funny in the morning!

syntrix
05-26-2008, 10:59 AM
There is a lot of bickering in this thread over missed deadlines for updates you all get for FREE. Most any other MMO would be putting a new class in a expansion box sitting on retail shelves everywhere... Turbines GIVES their updates away.

Regardless of the dates Turbine speculated they would get monks done, they follow the all important rule of 'Don't release until it's right'. Had monks came out a month ago, buggy and not complete... not only would players looking forward to monks be ****ED but the player expectations of monks would be 'wow they suck...' (anyone remember Barbs at release??)

All in all.. if Turbine hasn't released monks yet, it must be for a good reason. They aren't rtards, they know people want them. But people want them done right. Thanks Turbine!

** PS - Risia updates overnight just fine, to the impatient lot of folks here! :) **

GibsonP
05-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Last time i checked, I paid for the game and a monthly subscription.

Kind of makes me mad as they offer the game for free now.

If you want to argue the point that they need money to run the servers, then let them drop the rate to 3.99 a month. Ought to more than enough to pay for the upkeep on the servers, and fiber. Quite honestly I am glad I don't have to pay for the updates. I would want my money back.

GP

Dungnmaster001
05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Last time i checked, I paid for the game and a monthly subscription.

Kind of makes me mad as they offer the game for free now.

If you want to argue the point that they need money to run the servers, then let them drop the rate to 3.99 a month. Ought to more than enough to pay for the upkeep on the servers, and fiber. Quite honestly I am glad I don't have to pay for the updates. I would want my money back.

GP

You pay a monthly fee for access to the servers. What he means is that major updates like the ones we get are usually marketed in paid expansions. Look at WoW, they added 2 new races not to long ago but you had to buy the expansion to play them. I don't recall if they have ever added a new class but if they did you can bet they'd milk every dime they could out of you with another expansion. Same with most other MMORPGs. The only one off the top of my head that doesn't use the paid expansion model is CoH/CoV. Though I'm sure there's one or two more out there.

GibsonP
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Your comparing a WOW update with a DDO one? Holy smokes, have you seen what a WOW update has in it?

I would gladly pay 29.99 for:

An increase in the level cap to 20.
Gobs of new spells for each class.
Two new playable races Half Orc/Gnome.
An entire new continent.
Many new zones and high-level dungeons.
Hundreds of new monsters, quests, and items.
A new class: Druid
Mounts!

If they did this I would gladly pay 29.99, hell I'd pay it even if it was as bugged any other mod. But they won't or can't do this. Hell they spent the first year after the release fixing the game. Then right before release they took the dragon out, and then put it back in as a "New Mod!!".

The truth is that I don't mind paying 15 bucks a month for DDO, even with their slow releases of "updates". But if they decided to charge for the (mostly) pathetic content that gets released sporadically, I would be first in line to quit.

GP

jggbear
05-26-2008, 01:10 PM
They've told us for weeks that Monk week was this one, Im very disapointed that Monk week is only on Risia, TEST SERVER.

TEST SERVER.
TEST SERVER.

Risia is only a Test Server, why live events, special gear, specially during the MONK WEEK.

Monk week was meant to be the week where monks where going to go live to ALL SERVERS.

Where live events where going to be on live servers.

Where lots of info where going to be released on Monks.

NOT ON A TEST SERVER.

Im really disapointed.

Sorry to be this rude, but I feel cheated.

John

Dungnmaster001
05-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Your comparing a WOW update with a DDO one? Holy smokes, have you seen what a WOW update has in it?

I would gladly pay 29.99 for:

An increase in the level cap to 20.
Gobs of new spells for each class.
Two new playable races Half Orc/Gnome.
An entire new continent.
Many new zones and high-level dungeons.
Hundreds of new monsters, quests, and items.
A new class: Druid
Mounts!

If they did this I would gladly pay 29.99, hell I'd pay it even if it was as bugged any other mod. But they won't or can't do this. Hell they spent the first year after the release fixing the game. Then right before release they took the dragon out, and then put it back in as a "New Mod!!".

The truth is that I don't mind paying 15 bucks a month for DDO, even with their slow releases of "updates". But if they decided to charge for the (mostly) pathetic content that gets released sporadically, I would be first in line to quit.

GP

It's a matter of quality over quantity. WoW packs in a lot more content, true, but not as high quality (IMO) as DDO. Others may find a different opinion.

There's also the subscriber base to consider. WoW (despite being the most boring game I've ever played)can afford to hire more devs/coders to create that content. DDO doesn't have 1/10th the subscribers WoW does and so has a lower budget to work with. If DDO had the money it could churn out one heck of a lot more content per mod. Personally I haven't even seen all the content we do have so I'm kinda glad they can't keep up with WoW's rate of production. Though I do sympathize with the capped characters who have seen it all.

Dungnmaster001
05-26-2008, 01:23 PM
They've told us for weeks that Monk week was this one, Im very disapointed that Monk week is only on Risia, TEST SERVER.

TEST SERVER.
TEST SERVER.

Risia is only a Test Server, why live events, special gear, specially during the MONK WEEK.

Monk week was meant to be the week where monks where going to go live to ALL SERVERS.

Where live events where going to be on live servers.

Where lots of info where going to be released on Monks.

NOT ON A TEST SERVER.

Im really disapointed.

Sorry to be this rude, but I feel cheated.

John

Who said monk week was over? Or that the sparring thing was the only thing that was going to take place during monk week? I don't recall the exact wording from the newsletter and don't have the link anymore atm but I seem to recall Monk week was to start on the 26th (today) and go through the end of may. And I seem to recall it mentioning articles, events, etc. So it stands to reason that there is more to come this week.

Anatolia
05-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Everything they develope needs to be applied and tested before it reaches us. It seems to me Turbine is taking the responsible route. The game would not have lasted 3 weeks if the devs did'nt give these updates proper respect. It's not a pr stunt, it's qa-qc. I plan to keep gathering large's for now and enjoying the game. Also lets be thankful for our kick-a$$ beta testers. Thanks fellas

gfunk
05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, i can't believe how negative most people are about this. Personally, i just expected monk week to be a information disseminating week. The Risia release is just a bonus in my mind. Plus whenever anyone in any industry supplies a release or completion date, people should use it as more of a guideline. Predicting when you are going to finish something which might have unexpected complications is always tricky. I just hope that they are able to get on top of any gliches in mod7 and make some progress on mod6 updating so that the community can stop fighting so much.

UnderwearModel
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
before it crashes on me or times out or whatever it has done to me the last three times.

I assume all of that is on my end though.

Like my computer going to sleep or something dumb.

Or my ISP deciding to do something dumb.

Or my network router doing something dumb.

Now, I have another day to try and get it downloaded. If only I did not have that wife AGGRO that needs to be tasken care IMMEDIATELY. Yes, sometimes I do not wear the pants in this family. She pulls out the old, "are you playing that dumb game again?"

query
05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
At least have the courtesy to WAIT for the darn thing to START before making your criticizisms.

I am playing a monk on risa and am between 4th and 5th level now (not uber logging like some so no not a l 8 :p) and I find the new methods of their management a refreshing challenge (except now Con or the skill of concentration becomes a necessity for those who need a minimum base Ki score...and it's rough enough when Str, Dex, and Wis also are vital [the latter for generation of max Ki as well as higher DC saving throws.]) And due to my other server imports being almost a year old, he's not even a 32 point build. Is he gimped? Heck no! I just can't run up and smack them directly without teammanship or strategic planning if I am soloing. Yes cats still own me if attacked in more than 1, but I can solo 1 on 1 and win definately also. I can take a whole bunch of those theives and massacre them. Those hobgblins are a joke unless they attack me in mass, and the orcs....depending on their class and number...they are a respectable foe.

Oh and I HATE wolf tripping since balance skill was the one I had to leave behind w a 8 int.

But overall, it's fun being able to both solo and group, often at one level higher than suggested and win.

I like the options and flexibility of the build options, and the switch off in stances is a nice variety...if you get enough constitution to do so and also to meditate twice.

But what I do NOT like is the Stunning Fist setup. Stunning fist is one of those selectable bonus monk feat options. However, instead of it being one use per level of monk, it's tied to ki, making the monk's foundation attack after flury competing for the OTHER basic elemental attacks trying to use ki for their three time use for a "finishing move."

So, please make stunning fist like the PnP as a use 1/monk level -per rest. It sucks way too much ki away to be a feasable option when I am switching stances all the time, trying to get the right attack element using ki, and wondering IF even after meditating and hitting about 30 of my 75/80 total ki, I can even aford SF after the other charge ups (even ki getting with hitting or being hit factored in.)

So there, you have it. Perhaps the masters will help us alcolytes with these qurestions and the KICK OFF to the Monk Week will have many more things to show.

As for me, could somebody show me where those allegedly new monk quests are hiding?

Thanks, and stay centeted folks!

RazorrX
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I have had so much fun playing in Risia with my 28 pt monk (have 32 pt available on live) that I am going to be sorry to leave it. I wish I could take him with me! Great stuff! Risia is more of a PREVIEW server than a TEST server. The live event happening on Risia makes sense, as we have Monks from levels 1 thru 12 (as of when I logged out last night). I was hoping for 10th by the spar time, but only got to 9th last night (took some time to enjoy the holiday weekend, played on live with my guildies, etc.).

VERY satisfied by Turbine at the moment.

In fact . . . Hey, Tolero, any way I can do a paid transfer of my monk from Risia to live on June 3rd? :)

Dark_Helmet
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
To kick off Monk Week, there will be a dojo sparring for all Monk students on the Risia Preview server Tuesday, May 27th at 8:00 PM EST (-4 GMT). Join one of our four Monk masters in the PvP taverns of Stormreach, where you may use your Monk skill against other students to experiment with your new found abilities.

Our masters of water, air, fire, and earth will be handing out hats and masks for students at the following Taverns:

The Wayward Lobster, located in the Harbor
The Hammersmith Inn, located in the House Deneith ward
The Open Palm, located in the House Jorasco ward
The Phoenix Tavern, located in the Marketplace

Too bad not one "master" shows up at The Open Palm, when two were at The Phoenix tavern for the first 20 minutes?

Xanstrollinoax
05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
The "special gear" doesn't even have any effect and there common helm types

ArkoHighStar
05-27-2008, 07:41 PM
The "special gear" doesn't even have any effect and there common helm types

its risia they are just party hats for fun, it snot lie you were going touse them on the live server or anything

Korvek
05-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I thought it was a fairly interesting event, had to do some tavern hopping though.

Especially liked the enemy spawns, and the flenser in the Open Palm, even if he did go down quickly.

Jaggie
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
to all the +dev's and all the fun loving and crazy little monks,

You guys are awesomes. :)

Karate chops and cookies,
Jaggie

Ps. I never did get that pie to go with all the punch. >>

Moonseeker
05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
So, did I blink and miss the entire event? I was logged in about 20 minutes before it was scheduled to start with my baby Mogue and wandering around the taverns and throughout the city. Hopped into the Lobster at the start time and didn't see......well, anything. No masters, no sparring, no other players even. I think I saw maybe two people wandering the city at all the entire time. I've stayed logged on for a while since and haven't seen anything at all.

Delacroix21
05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Event was nothing short of a waste of time. All that happened was we fought summoned earth elementals, got free "plain" hats, and finally fought a few beholders at the end.

There was NO MONK INFORMATION provided as promised. NONE AT ALL!

Comon, you must answer to the community here! You told us all to mark our calenders for a "monk week" and you couldnt even deliver on this short event! Geez guys, you did such a great job on monks (and i mean it I LOVE what you did with them) why are you dropping the ball so much on monk week?

Want to redeem yourselves? Add monks and everything that goes with them to the compendium. Tell us what greensteel monk weapons recipes you added, so we dont waste feats on a builds that wont work.

Coldin
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Event was nothing short of a waste of time. All that happened was we fought summoned earth elementals, got free "plain" hats, and finally fought a few beholders at the end.

There was NO MONK INFORMATION provided as promised. NONE AT ALL!

Comon, you must answer to the community here! You told us all to mark our calenders for a "monk week" and you couldnt even deliver on this short event! Geez guys, you did such a great job on monks (and i mean it I LOVE what you did with them) why are you dropping the ball so much on monk week?

Want to redeem yourselves? Add monks and everything that goes with them to the compendium. Tell us what greensteel monk weapons recipes you added, so we dont waste feats on a builds that wont work.

I found my time in the Lobster to be informative. Even got to ask the resident Monk Master some various questions, and see her use Abundant Step.

doodooman
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
You had to come to house D thats were the true masters were. +Ironfists was fighting, and got beat down soundly by yours truely.

Delacroix21
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I just edited out my post and think that they arent helping, just wanted to say I am disappointed. =(

Rilen
05-28-2008, 03:22 AM
I found my time in the Lobster to be informative. Even got to ask the resident Monk Master some various questions, and see her use Abundant Step.
Aye, and lucky she did. Else there would have been a ghost at the end of my quarterstaff. Twice. :-)

I had fun. Sorry others did not. I know many enjoyed themselves - I came to socialize .. but mostly ..

.. to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum.

and wouldnt you know it .. I was all out of bubblegum.

-Rilen (Shortribs for this event)

RazorrX
05-28-2008, 06:18 AM
It was fun. I came late (Did not get home from work until after 8) and was able to make the Hammersmith Inn fun. Fought a summoned Fire Elemental, got beat down by most everyone, got a couple beat downs in on others and basically had a blast. I swear at one time we had +Ironfist down to no hp but she kept going. ;)

If you logged in as a monk for the first time, you could learn about them in the PVP by:

1) actually using them

2) asking the devs questions about Monks.

What I did see of questions were some people pointing out bugs and glitches, not a whole lot of people asking things like how would they recommend building a monk, etc.

Paraphrasing a bit on some quotes:
"Abundant step is not more awesome, because if it had even more Awesomness it would make my head explode."

"I thought we were here to learn stuff?" (player)
"Ask questions." +dev

But anyway, fun time and I look forward to the rest of Monk Week.

Rameses
05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Have to agree... Is that all Monk Week will be is a PvP event?

reimond
05-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks for bringing that up. That is exactly what they said it was to be.

reimond
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't know where it was stated that monks where coming out in May/08, but I do know that the announcement was going to be for Turbine to "explain" to us all about monks. Now what I know is that people have been talking that monks where coming out in April/08 and it just keeps getting delayed. Yes I do agree, programming and making sure all the "new" graphics for the monk combat work are arduous, but how about a bit of honesty? You know, just keep us really well informed of what's going on, instead of a publicity stunt where probably more than half the people who didn't read between the lines thought monks where coming out.

Now more importantly, they want people to go to Risia, I don't have the time or patience, but what if they decide to transfer the Risia monks to the live servers? and what about the people who have all 9 spots with characters that are not only capped, but that have incredible loot raid and have been "working" their characters to their likings? I haven't heard anything about a new slot to create a new character. That is the kind of things many wonder, but no one hears about, and if someone does, they sure are keeping it to themselves, cause at least I haven't heard anything.

The problem is that is they were tried to as you say "be honest" about the release times instead of vague then you would be complaining even more. Do you all know understand what it takes to write programming and that when you write something and try it that it "Always" needs revamping. If they gave a date they expected for something to be done they would always be wrong then you would be even more upset with them for being wrong all the time.

Give them a break and know that they ARE doing the best they can to keep us coming back; I mean they know their jobs depend on us being happy. Lord knows that will never happen with a group as large as a online community though. Know that they will do the best they can to get the content to us live as soon as possible. Then because they are being rushed to release it there will still be problems that did not get tested out due to not enough people either playing Risia at all, or people not reporting the problems they have. Then you all will complain again because the game still has problems with the new content or old things that got messed up when the new coding got put in.

JohnWarlock
06-01-2008, 03:38 AM
You're right, people will complain no matter what, but I think it would be a matter, of more honesty, saying hey look we messed this up, or this is not completely ready, or we need help testing this out... than rather make a bs even in Risia, just to get people to what? test to see if they have any problems with Monks? But I'll agree with you, I don't know jack about programming, what I do know is that this company I knew had an awesome game called Asheron's Call... and that game had some of the best support/programmers working on it. When something happened, or something went wrong, you could expect a major hotfix a few days after the problem was encountered... now all we get is a bunch of "packaged" content, delivered extremely late, that could have been addressed either mods ago, or at least months ago. It remains broken, they choose to keep it broken instead of finding out a solution... to be honest instead of a monk, I'd rather they finally fixed the ladders, in a hot fix, then get to the monk. Turbine wonders why they don't have too many new customers. How'd you feel if your game was bugged since you stepped into a level 2 quest, imagine the horror they must think higher level quests must be. But honestly, we can throw what if's back and forth until they close the forums, and that won't avail to nothing.... what I do propose is that those that are interested in hearing the truth about DDO, let your GMs, The Developers, anyone at Turbine know. Hey if they want our butts in Risia to help test monks, let us know... just don't make a bogus event for it.

If a quest, or a fix is being pushed back, let us know, it's easier to understand when we are treated as adults, than when we are treated as little kids and get promises broken. You want to have an adult online gaming base, please start treating us adults. Stop all this "Almost there", "just a little longer". How about a little research, a little what the people think or want or need.

Monks are added to the game, I still haven't heard "anything", "Anywhere" about a new char slot to make a monk.... what we have to go make monks in other servers now to play them? You guys really expect many of your players to erase capped toons, with +2/+3 tomes and who knows how much raid loot? All I'm saying, we waited a lot for this, show US, YOUR appreciation.