PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Barbarian questions

Holgar
05-23-2008, 08:44 AM
OK, ran the Shroud with my old-skool Human Fighter last night, and got mashed up by the Pit Fiend. Want to build a dwarven barbarian to use for high-end content. I have a couple of questions:

1) I want to go with a TWF Barbarian. I will build him with an 18 Str, 14 Dex (15 with a starter tome), and 18 Con. Is the first level of TWF still more effective than fighting with a Great Axe? It seems the damage output for TWF is superior to a Great Axe, even without Improved TWF. But I haven't played with the Two-handed Fighting Enhancements, so I'm not sure what they do....

2) Khopesh or Dwarven Axe? I'm going to take 2 levels of Fighter to get the early feats I need, so I should have enough for Khopesh. If it's simply a question of Green Steel Items, I can always switch out later if they never make Green Steel Dwarven Axes, so that's not too much of an issue. My main concern is whether the Dwarven Axe (free feat with Dwarven Attack/Damage Enchancements) is as good or better than Khopesh (with its huge crit range at upper levels).

Thanks for any help,

Holgar, the Barbarian Noob

boldarblood
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
You need a 17 dex for greater 2 weapon fighting and a 19 if they add superior 2 weapon fighting, items do not count towards this (tomes and level up). So take that into consideration in your build.

sigtrent
05-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Two handed fighting is better that Two Weapon Fighting if you only have the basic Two Weapon Fighting Feat.

If you go TWF you really owe it to yourself to have the 17 dex you need for ITWF and GTWF.

xanvar
05-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Two handed fighting is better that Two Weapon Fighting if you only have the basic Two Weapon Fighting Feat.

If you go TWF you really owe it to yourself to have the 17 dex you need for ITWF and GTWF.

So would you recommend two level ups go into dex to bring his starting dex to 16, 17 with the +1 tome he is going to use? Or does tomes not count for the minimum requirement?

BlackSteel
05-25-2008, 12:11 PM
tomes count

Hanam
05-25-2008, 05:11 PM
1) Honestly 18 con is overkill for a barbarian. You won't be failing fort saves anytime soon, and your rages will last a long time. Just go 18 str, 16 dex, and 16 con.

2) You might as well use khopesh. But good lowbie ones are damn hard to find.

Slayer918
05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
1) Honestly 18 con is overkill for a barbarian. You won't be failing fort saves anytime soon, and your rages will last a long time. Just go 18 str, 16 dex, and 16 con.

2) You might as well use khopesh. But good lowbie ones are damn hard to find.

/signed

go 18 str 16 dex 16 con, twf, itwf, gtwf, IC, PA, stunning blow, and khopesh with another 1 left over for that 2nd fighter level

Illuminati
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Ditto above,

I went 18,16,16 and Khopesh, PA, OTWF (gonna swap this out for something), IC: Slash, IC: Pierce, Stunning Blow, TWF, ITWF, GTWF.

Once Improved Trip and Stunning Blow are at our Highest Attack Bonus (Mod 7), I may swap out OTWF for trip.

Hanam
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Oversized Two-Weapon fighting is nice at lowbie levels.

Illuminati
05-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Especially at level 4 with two GM granted +3 Acid Khopeshi =)

Inspire
05-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Oversized Two-Weapon fighting is nice at lowbie levels.

My Lvl 16 Barbarian Pearce Still Has OS TWF, -2 To-Hit Is A Rough Penatly, With An Alread -8 To-Hit From Power Attack.