PDA

View Full Version : Ki Master Monk

maddong
05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
General Principles:
1. Dual wielding monks get ki twice as fast (double the hits).
2. The fire path gets ki faster. Currently someone said the 2nd step of fire gives more ki than the 1st step.
If this continues the Master of Bonfire will get 4 ki back per strike. Master of Bonfire requires 16 strength and level 12 monk.
3. So your character will need a 16 natural strength, 17 natural dex, and 11 BAB at 15 (or 16 if you splash).
4. Using monk specials while dual wielding creates dual attacks similar to how trip/stunning blow work.
5. Adept of Flame ups the Fire Strike to 2d6 damage for the same 5 ki, so Master of Bonfires possibly ups it to 3d6. A dual wielder possibly may be able to continue this attack indefinitely (10.5 damage x2, twice the damage output of power attack on a 2 hander.... Green steel kamas anyone?).
6. Stunning fist costs 15 ki. A dual wielder should be able to bust it out every 6 seconds like its cooldown (if you aren't adding fire damage to every attack). The opponent will have to make 2 saves every time to not be stunned. You can potentially go stunning fist, stunning blow, improved trip, stunning fist.
7. You get a bonus feat at level 6 instead of improved trip. Improved trip is selectable as a bonus feat if you have combat expertise. You must choose stunning fist as a bonus feat if you want it.
8. I assume everyone can get at least 1 +2 tome from favor. +1 tomes are pretty cheap.

Strength Tactics Ki Monk
Dwarf Monk 16 (or Warforged with 2 less wisdom)
S 15 +4 level ups +6 item +2 rage pot = 27 without tomes/shroud
D 15 +2 tome for GTWF (or +1 tome if you don't care about combat expertise)
C 16
I 12 +1 tome for combat expertise
W 14 +6 item +2 enhancement = 22 (for monk DCs)
C 6
(you could start at a 16 strength and 16 dex if you don't care about improved trip)
Monk Feats:
1 combat expertise or power attack
2 improved trip or toughness
6 stunning fist
Feats:
1 TWF
3 stunning blow
6 toughness or another feat
9 ITWF
12 improved crit (or power attack if you took improved trip and prefer)
15 GTWF
Skills: Concentration, Listen or Spot, Balance, Jump, Diplomacy (can use every 6 seconds now)

Dex Ki Monk +/- Tactics
Elf Monk 16 (or Drow with 1 less dex)
S 14 +2 tome for Master of Bonfires
D 18 +4 level ups +2 enhancement +6 item = 30 without tomes/shroud
C 12
W 14
C 8
(you could start with a 16 strength or 16 wisdom if you don't care about improved trip)
Monk Feats:
1 combat expertise or power attack or toughness or deflect arrows or dodge
2 weapon finesse
6 stunning fist
Feats:
1 TWF
3 stunning blow
6 improved trip or power attack or toughness
9 ITWF
12 improved crit or power attack or toughness
15 GTWF
(you could substitute 2 feats to get the displacement dragonmark if you aren't Drow)
Skills: Concentration, Listen or Spot, Balance, Jump, Diplomacy (can use every 6 seconds now)

Dex Ki Monk +/- Healing Dragonmarks
Halfling Monk 16
S 14 +2 tome for Master of Bonfires
D 18 +4 level ups
C 14
I 8 (improved trip probably isn't worth it since you are already at -4 DC, plus you don't have enough points anyway....)
W 14
C 8
Monk Feats:
1 power attack or deflect arrows or dodge
2 weapon finesse
6 stunning fist
Feats:
1 TWF
3 stunning blow or least dragonmark or another feat
6 toughness or lesser dragonmark or another feat
9 ITWF
12 improved crit or greater dragonmark
15 GTWF
Skills: Concentration, Listen or Spot, Balance

Strength UMD Ki Monk
Human Rogue 1/Monk 14/Fighter 1 (loses quivering palm at 15 Monk)
S 15 +4 level ups +1 enhancement +6 item +2 rage pot = 28 without tomes/shroud
D 15 +2 tome for GTWF
C 14
W 14
C 8
(you could be a trap monk if you go 14, 15, 14, 14, 14, 8; this requires an additional +2 int tome)
Monk Feats:
1 combat expertise
2 improved trip
6 stunning fist
Feats:
1 TWF
1 stunning blow
3 sf umd
6 toughness or power attack
9 ITWF
12 improved crit slash
15 improved crit bludgeon or deflect arrows
Fighter Feat (take at 16):
1 GTWF
Skills: Concentration, Listen or Spot, Balance, Jump or Diplomacy, UMD

Angelus_dead
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
3. So your character will need a 16 natural strength, 17 natural dex, and 11 BAB at 15 (or 16 if you splash).
I'd been thinking high str+dex was the way to go for a powerful monk, although I've been trying to find a way to avoid it, and make it work with str+wis or dex+wis.

6. Stunning fist costs 15 ki. A dual wielder should be able to bust it out every 6 seconds like its cooldown (if you aren't adding fire damage to every attack). The opponent will have to make 2 saves every time to not be stunned. You can potentially go stunning fist, stunning blow, improved trip, stunning fist.
That won't work. Stunning Fist can only be used unarmed, and you can't TWF unarmed.

MrCow
05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
The path to true ki accumulation lies in the path of getting as many attacks as possible (Greater Two-Weapon fighting, as you mentioned) utilizing something that grants auto-crits (coupled with the way of the elegant crane).

The fire path gets ki faster. Currently someone said the 2nd step of fire gives more ki than the 1st step.
If this continues the Master of Bonfire will get 4 ki back per strike. Master of Bonfire requires 16 strength and level 12 monk.

Tier II fire stance doesn't appear to grant 3 ki per hit.

Redshift
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Does crane give the extra x1/2/3/4 crit multipliers?

coolpenguin410
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Does crane give the extra x1/2/3/4 crit multipliers?

No, Crane gives +1/2/3/4 Ki on a crit. It does not affect the Crit range/modifier.

There are 1 or 2 attacks that increase the crit range/modfier but for only 1 hit.

MrCow
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Monks have stunning blow and stunning fist, both which can grant auto-crits if the monster is stunnable. :p

A stunned monster will grant you a bucketload of Ki if it has a decent amount of HP.

Tealin
05-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Ok, so the more I fight I get KI right? I am really new to the monk class so I want to under stand this right. What about a warforge monk how do they get KI?
Tealin

Garth_of_Sarlona
05-26-2008, 12:27 AM
2. The fire path gets ki faster. Currently someone said the 2nd step of fire gives more ki than the 1st step.

2nd tier fire stance still gives 2 ki per hit. I suspect it only goes up to 3 at third tier.

Garth

Hvymetal
05-26-2008, 04:07 AM
Ok, so the more I fight I get KI right? I am really new to the monk class so I want to under stand this right. What about a warforge monk how do they get KI?
TealinWarforged Monks gain Ki exactly the same as any other Monk......

Tealin
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
2nd tier fire stance still gives 2 ki per hit. I suspect it only goes up to 3 at third tier.

Garth

Thanks I have taken the path fire I will have to see if this works

Tealin