PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to hinder plat farming companies

Quanefel
05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I came up with a few ideas that I would like to share with the Dev's or players if they care to read them. These ideas are just that, ideas. None are set in stone and maybe not perfect solutions to the problem. I came up with them keeping in mind to not discourage new users or turn the new potential customers away. Yet at the same time finding ways Turbine can better fight or hinder the plat farming companies in game that would not effect anyone really but plat farming companies if done right.

As Turbine well knows, they take advantage of the trial accounts to do most of their business so it makes sense to focus on those accounts first. If done correctly, Turbine can still make money off the plat farmers by making them get payed accounts and at the same time force plat farming companies to use more payed accounts than abuse the trial accounts. Turbine also has the right to ban accounts used for buying/selling so they are still within the rules of their own ToS or EULA. If they are forced to go more towards payed accounts for all their purposes then Turbine wins in the end. With the added bonus of Turbine being within their rights to ban their accounts and the plat farming companies buying even more accounts. To the point, DDO does not look so attractive to these plat farming companies.

With that all said, here is some of my ideas for Trial Accounts only:

1) No trading plat TO a payed account in amounts larger than 100K plat at any one time.

2) Limit these trial accounts to no more than 100K plat per toon.

3) No trading/mailing TO a trial account toon items with a base value of 6K GP's. (Or something reasonable)

4) No using the AH for buying/listing anything past 3 levels of the level of that toon is currently.

5) No using /death until 5th level is reached. (There is a reason)

6) No /tell to a payed account until passage out of the Wavecrest Tavern. (Or restrict it further)

7) No passage into slayer areas that have level restrictions by any means, for any reason. Find and fix any "loophole" that might allow the bypassing of the level restrictions throughly by these accounts.

8) No storage in a toon's backpack or maybe even a bank account, stackable items more than 100. Meaning that you can have 100 Cure Light Wound pots in your bank and backpack but never more than one stack of those at any one time.

9) No trading of certain items that are high priced or "valuable" that is found to be sold on these plat farming companies websites.

10) Pay more attention to trial accounts in regard to suspected questionable activities.

Now, these are not perfect ideas nor have I listed the reasons for these ideas in any great details. I want to stay within the rules and not talk about certain things so as not to expose any loopholes that might be out there. These are just ideas, not demands. Take them as they are, rework them or at least take them into consideration in part. Finally, thanks for Turbine if you cared to read these at least and for making a great game.

Also, any "positive" or constructive feedback, suggestions or ideas from players are always welcome. :D

Krago
05-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Take it even further.

No mailing/tradinging with a trial account.

Have turbine meet to have something mailed/traded to them by a plat farmer who would have to use their farming account since trial accounts cannot mail/trade. Now you know who the farmers are and can ban the real accounts.

The farmers might be too afraid to log on their real toons so no more farmers because they cannot make enough plat or the trial accounts will have to be paid for increasing turbines revenue decreasing the plat farmers making it too expensive for people to buy plat.

Aspenor
05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Take it even further.

No mailing/tradinging with a trial account.

Have turbine meet to have something mailed/traded to them by a plat farmer who would have to use their farming account since trial accounts cannot mail/trade. Now you know who the farmers are and can ban the real accounts.

The farmers might be too afraid to log on their real toons so no more farmers because they cannot make enough plat or the trial accounts will have to be paid for increasing turbines revenue decreasing the plat farmers making it too expensive for people to buy plat.

This would destroy the influx of customers from using trial accounts, plat farmers notwithstanding.

My advice: just deal with it. :cool:

Krago
05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
This would destroy the influx of customers from using trial accounts, plat farmers notwithstanding.

I have not used a trial account so my suggestion is pretty ignorant. From what I know, they only last what 7-10 days. If that person does enjoy the game enough, they get to upgrade the account from trial to paid?

If that is true, then it would unlock being able to use the mailing system and trading abilities if the do decide to join the game. But could you elaborate how it would stop people from using trial accounts by disabiling mail/trading on trial accounts?

muffinlad
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM

1) No trading plat TO a payed account in amounts larger than 100K plat at any one time.
- The current limit is 9999 plat, per transaction. Are you talking about raising the limit, or a different/meta limit?

- Or 20k plat. give incentive to "go live".

3) No trading/mailing TO a trial account toon items with a base value of 6K GP's. (Or something reasonable)

- 32k (or 8th level items) might be more reasonable.

4) No using the AH for buying/listing anything past 3 levels of the level of that toon is currently.

- I would say no using AH period.

-Not sure I see this. Too many stuck areas still exist in game.

6) No /tell to a payed account until passage out of the Wavecrest Tavern. (Or restrict it further)

- Give paid accounts the abilit to /autosquelch by toggle, all temp accounts.

7) No passage into slayer areas that have level restrictions by any means, for any reason. Find and fix any "loophole" that might allow the bypassing of the level restrictions throughly by these accounts.

-To slow down quick leveling, I am guessing. I don't care about this so much.

8) No storage in a toon's backpack or maybe even a bank account, stackable items more than 100. Meaning that you can have 100 Cure Light Wound pots in your bank and backpack but never more than one stack of those at any one time.

-This sounds like a programming nightmare, but I have no objection.

9) No trading of certain items that are high priced or "valuable" that is found to be sold on these plat farming companies websites.

- No. Too arbitrary. Need more specifics.

10) Pay more attention to trial accounts in regard to suspected questionable activities.

- I think cost is a concern here.

Also, any "positive" or constructive feedback, suggestions or ideas from players are always welcome. :D

I think it really comes down to letting me /Autosquelch all trail accounts, and introducing /squelchvoice and /squelchmessage to the game.

I don't care what they are doing. I care that they have a LOUD PING sound on my account when I am in the middle of focusing on fighting a fight, and I need to have that LOUD PING sound mean a very important message has come to me, not poorly written BS from a Plat Farmer. Maslov should have used gamers instead of dogs (ha!). When that bell rings, I want a treat...not Plat Farmer.
-------------------------------

Further, and totally off subject, while they are introducing this, I want the ability, as I mentioned, to /squelchvoice and make voice more controlled in game. There are some very good players in this game who cannot shut up, or who hum, or sing while playing. I have to /squelch them (I am borderline ADHD), and I still want them to be able to communicate with me. This is more MY problem than theirs, but it really does impact my game experience. At the same time, there are people who I need to be able to converse with, so I just can't turn my hearing off (though I was close last night).

Ideally, they would let us controll the volume of EVERY player on a personal level (Some people are way, way too loud, others too soft), or even have raid controlls that are leader driven.

muffin..hey what was that....lad.

Quanefel
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM

My advice: just deal with it. :cool:

How would that be?

muffinlad
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
How would that be?

What he is saying is (effectivly), that because it does not irritate him as much as it irritates others, and because the game needs new players, you should suck it up.

And, while I agree with Asp on the second point, we part ways on the first part and the suggested solution.

muffinlad

Aspenor
05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
How would that be?

Because, let's face it, DDO is not a newb friendly game. The interface hints offer little to no practical information, and without PnP experience a new player will be baffled how the mechanics work. New players need to be able to communicate with established players in order to learn and discover whether they enjoy the game.

I still get tells from newbs when I run around the harbor on my level 16's, asking how things work, or where a certain quest is.

fatherpirate
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
No game company will institute rules to get rid of plat/gold farmers

They make money on them.

They will talk about getting rid of them...but they don't cuz it will hurt thier bottom line.

Best advice, ignore them and don't buy gold.

Fanabeam
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm still a big fan of my idea.
Filter out all web site addresses from tells. Period. Allow web addresses in party/guild chat, but no /tells.
It would completely invalidate their in game advertising, and it would soon disappear.

Quanefel
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Because, let's face it, DDO is not a newb friendly game. The interface hints offer little to no practical information, and without PnP experience a new player will be baffled how the mechanics work. New players need to be able to communicate with established players in order to learn and discover whether they enjoy the game.

I still get tells from newbs when I run around the harbor on my level 16's, asking how things work, or where a certain quest is.

And how are any of my ideas going to prevent them from communicating with others players fully? It takes like 10 minutes to get through the Wavecrest tavern quest to get outside. I doubt a player will give up if they are not allowed to /tell anyone in that 10 minute time. And the things you mentioned has absolutely nothing to do with /tells since all of those things can be done in general chat,party chat or guild chat, easily. So these "fears" of no communication is unfounded and needs to shown as such.

muffinlad
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm still a big fan of my idea.
Filter out all web site addresses from tells. Period. Allow web addresses in party/guild chat, but no /tells.
It would completely invalidate their in game advertising, and it would soon disappear.

They would just do a Platfarmer(at)Grabplat(dot)com style-format in the addressing. It gets their message across to those who want it, and still irritates the rest of us.

I have no problem with Lawful/Chaotic Good types that want to help new players, and want to make sure they get tells from that nice new person who is using a trial account....I just want one little toggle that lets us Lawful/Chaotic Grumpy types to NOT get their messages, or anyone elses who is not a paid subscriber.

muffinhuffy.

feynman
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM

They make money on them.

They will talk about getting rid of them...but they don't cuz it will hurt thier bottom line.

The best evidence for this is that, if they wanted to, they could very easily end the whole plat-farming situation: All they would have to do is buy some plat or items themselves, start a log of all item trades for 15 minutes (remember the 15-minute delivery guarantee?), receive the item, trace it back to where it came from, and delete the accounts involved. A few of those, and the plat-farmers will be out of business. But they won't do that, will they?

I think they should handle it differently: make plat-farming legal, but make them buy advertising space around the city and hit spammers like a sneak attack from a sword of shadows; don't just ban the spamming character, but delete the accounts of everyone who logs in from the same IP address. You can farm and sell, just no spam.

Quanefel
05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
They would just do a Platfarmer(at)Grabplat(dot)com style-format in the addressing. It gets their message across to those who want it, and still irritates the rest of us.

I have no problem with Lawful/Chaotic Good types that want to help new players, and want to make sure they get tells from that nice new person who is using a trial account....I just want one little toggle that lets us Lawful/Chaotic Grumpy types to NOT get their messages, or anyone elses who is not a paid subscriber.

muffinhuffy.

I am sure the filtering of certian websites and their variants might be worth at least looking into. As far as the toggle idea about trial accounts, good idea there as well. Those who wish to help newbies still can with their /tells, we who wish so can ignore all those /tells. Only problem would be it would all be set towards real new players who would be more at risk of those plat farming companies preying on them since they are not always fully aware of the no buy/selling rules. Maybe a simple no pinging sound for incoming tells from trial accounts? We dont hear it, we dont see their messages. Besides, we are mostly in quests to busy to read /tells anyways. No sound would mean we would not even know it was there, defeating the purpose of the spam in the first place.

jhorn02
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
As usual, the discussion has wandered somewhat. But I'd like to add that some of the OP's ideas are pretty good and novel (at least I haven't heard them before). I especially like numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. I can't imagine those restrictions hurting valid new players much and they would force plat companies to use real accounts (at least to trade valuable items or large amounts of plat).

Forcing them to use real accounts for those purposes would at least generate some revenue to Turbine and help pay for more developer time to make the game better for the rest of us. It would also make it a little easier to identify the farmers.

Murgatroyd
05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
They would just do a Platfarmer(at)Grabplat(dot)com style-format in the addressing.

Well they could still do regular expression filtering. They're already doing some filtering on Guild/Character/MOTD. To my dismay I discovered this when I tried to create a permadeath version of our guild called BoSS permadeath. Just last week I tried to set a guild MOTD "...is an all male..." :)

muffinlad
05-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Only problem would be it would all be set towards real new players who would be more at risk of those plat farming companies preying on them since they are not always fully aware of the no buy/selling rules. Maybe a simple no pinging sound for incoming tells from trial accounts? We dont hear it, we dont see their messages. Besides, we are mostly in quests to busy to read /tells anyways. No sound would mean we would not even know it was there, defeating the purpose of the spam in the first place.

If I could not get a /Trailsquelch, then a /Turnoffping would be the next best thing. It puts me in a fast car, and takes me on a very fast drive to crazy land when it goes off, and it is from a Platfarmer. (ok...so the drive is not that long....)

muffinwac'd

muffinlad
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Well they could still do regular expression filtering. They're already doing some filtering on Guild/Character/MOTD. To my dismay I discovered this when I tried to create a permadeath version of our guild called BoSS permadeath. Just last week I tried to set a guild MOTD "...is an all male..." :)

Well...that is an unsafe message at best!

I would rather avoid the filtering they have (per your examples above), as it is imperfect at best....BUT, as I am toggle crazy, for those of you who prefer it...how about-

/squelchtrial - Squelches tells from trail accounts
/filtertrial - Puts a filter on trail messages

That way we both get our cake, and if we save half, eat it too.

muffinbaker.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
1) No trading plat TO a payed account in amounts larger than 100K plat at any one time. Good idea

2) Limit these trial accounts to no more than 100K plat per toon. Good idea, I can't imagine them getting 100K legit anyway in 1 wk

3) No trading/mailing TO a trial account toon items with a base value of 6K GP's. (Or something reasonable)No. If people want to twink out their friends or strangers on trial accounts I see nothing wrong with it.

4) No using the AH for buying/listing anything past 3 levels of the level of that toon is currently.Reasonable

5) No using /death until 5th level is reached. (There is a reason)Without knowing the reason I have to say no. /death has valid uses in this game ranging from stuck spots to fixing things not cured by rest.

6) No /tell to a payed account until passage out of the Wavecrest Tavern. (Or restrict it further) Definately

7) No passage into slayer areas that have level restrictions by any means, for any reason. Find and fix any "loophole" that might allow the bypassing of the level restrictions throughly by these accounts. I thought that if you were significantly below quest level you pulled garbage from the chests anyway so this wouldn't help you?

8) No storage in a toon's backpack or maybe even a bank account, stackable items more than 100. Meaning that you can have 100 Cure Light Wound pots in your bank and backpack but never more than one stack of those at any one time. I'm not sure how this would help, they could still store 100 vorpals. I imagine you are after the major pot issue but its probably more coding headaches than its worth.

9) No trading of certain items that are high priced or "valuable" that is found to be sold on these plat farming companies websites.Then we all get to argue about what's "vauable". I don't think so.

Also, any "positive" or constructive feedback, suggestions or ideas from players are always welcome. lol sorry, when you post you get positive and negative feedback :)

Some comments in red above...

Some good ideas here, a couple that I don't know would really be worth the trouble. I think you may be on to something with the plat limit, and even the item trade limit that I critized a bit above. Maybe combine your ideas to say 100Kplat limit (or even less) and not more than 200Kplat (or less?) total asset value. That would help deal with the selling of other valuable items because they couldn't carry many. For example, rather than banning the sale of major pots, only to discover that tomorrow there is a new preferred plat seller item, if the money value stopped you from trading more than a handful of said item then it would substantially interfere with plat seller business while not stopping minor twinking and without needing to guess in advance everything that might be valuable one day.

JD2134
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
How about the devs just look at the wording use in the spammer tells, and bann from use in all chat the follow words, mmo or what what ever the email address or web site address is. well all get the spam about emailing cherry@mmo.com about buying plat. but if the tell came across as cherry@#&&.com then it be a greater hinderance to them. althought they find a way around it. It just another roadblock to them.

SkyCry
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
All limitations applied to trial accounts only:

Problem No.1 - spamming:
shouldn't be able to send tells or mail to anyone
unless they received a mail or a tell from that person previously
or unless that person have added them to the friends list

Problem No.2 - untraceable trade:
shouldn't be able to have more than 100k plat
limit all transactions to 10k plat:
can't trade over 10k plat at one time
not allowed to sell on auction without outbid value and outbid value is limited to 10k plat
bidding or buying out on auction is limited to 10k plat

sirgog
05-21-2008, 10:16 PM

LOL!

I had the same problem when I tried to post a Reaver group with "Loot for all" as the LFM message.

baddax
05-22-2008, 05:28 AM
I came up with a few ideas that I would like to share with the Dev's or players if they care to read them. These ideas are just that, ideas. None are set in stone and maybe not perfect solutions to the problem. I came up with them keeping in mind to not discourage new users or turn the new potential customers away. Yet at the same time finding ways Turbine can better fight or hinder the plat farming companies in game that would not effect anyone really but plat farming companies if done right.

As Turbine well knows, they take advantage of the trial accounts to do most of their business so it makes sense to focus on those accounts first. If done correctly, Turbine can still make money off the plat farmers by making them get payed accounts and at the same time force plat farming companies to use more payed accounts than abuse the trial accounts. Turbine also has the right to ban accounts used for buying/selling so they are still within the rules of their own ToS or EULA. If they are forced to go more towards payed accounts for all their purposes then Turbine wins in the end. With the added bonus of Turbine being within their rights to ban their accounts and the plat farming companies buying even more accounts. To the point, DDO does not look so attractive to these plat farming companies.

Now, these are not perfect ideas nor have I listed the reasons for these ideas in any great details. I want to stay within the rules and not talk about certain things so as not to expose any loopholes that might be out there. These are just ideas, not demands. Take them as they are, rework them or at least take them into consideration in part. Finally, thanks for Turbine if you cared to read these at least and for making a great game.

I prefer crippling strike for my rogue/ ray of exhaustion for my sorc/ curse for my cleric/ and Vermin bane for my tank.

samagee
05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
How about if instead of reporting them, we had them teleported to us and in PvP mode? :D

roadkill525
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I don;t know if this has been said afor but trial accounts can not send mail, at least I couldn't when I decided to reactivate my account after playing on a trial account for a few days

jerryxenon
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM

They make money on them.

Nicely stated I could not agree more, and also What Asp said who cares why should it bother you If people wanna waste their hard earned money on that **** let em it's no skin off my back.

Aspenor
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Nicely stated I could not agree more, and also What Asp said who cares why should it bother you If people wanna waste their hard earned money on that **** let em it's no skin off my back.

Yup, to be perfectly honest I would be upset if developers wasted coding time on something that is merely a minor nuisance. I really don't care if I get a plat tell, it goes "ding" and I ignore it.

Quanefel
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM

I would personally leave it to individual people to decide what bothers them, annoys them or what they feel on their own. What does not bother one person, might bother someone else.

Aspenor
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I would personally leave it to individual people to decide what bothers them, annoys them or what they feel on their own. What does not bother one person, might bother someone else.

Just because you are bothered by something doesn't mean that those that disagree with you can't state their feelings on the matter. It also is not a basis for devoting development time and money.

adam1oftheround
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Please prevent temp accounts from using AH, Mail, trades, and tells for anyone above 3rd level or for loot above 4th level.

jerryxenon
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM

I,m sorry I thought you wanted a discussion but obviously you wanted to make a Satement without rebuff..lol
you know what bothers me is people who are bothered by what bothers other people... and my wife sshhh don,t tell her ok

Razvan
05-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I,m sorry I thought you wanted a discussion but obviously you wanted to make a Satement without rebuff..lol
you know what bothers me is people who are bothered by what bothers other people... and my wife sshhh don,t tell her ok

/signed

Sue_Dark
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I really do not understand the OP's #5 item on the list. I dont really see how it could be a problem, but I suppose there is some exploit out there and that would be a reason to fix this, as opposed to limiting it's use.

#4 I am against completely, I use a lowbie to hold my money and my good items that are in storage. Reason, simple, lowbie cant use those items and the money is just there. So by my understanding of #4, I couldnt not use a low level mule anymore.

Otherwise, some of those are decent ideas.

Quanefel
05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Just because you are bothered by something doesn't mean that those that disagree with you can't state their feelings on the matter. It also is not a basis for devoting development time and money.

That is odd because I never came close to suggesting anything of the sort above. How did you get all that out of me saying people are allowed to feel as they wish and turn it into me saying no one is allowed to disagree with me? Its actually quite comical the way that was done.

So you are saying a person being bothered by something in-game is not basis for devoting development time and money, and yet is has already been done. You are aware because of the complaints and wishes of players Turbine spent time, money and effort fixing the problem of spam mail. Its weird because I see thread after thread on these forums on all sorts of issues the players wanting some aspect of the game changed, fixed added or removed. You are free to state such ideas as what you feel should or should not be changed but you are only one person. So your belief contradicts what has and will go on. We complain and Turbine either ignores us or fixes it.

Quanefel
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM

You wish to rebuff my statement that people should be allowed to feel how they wish? No one is stopping you from countering this idea of mine. I am sure there are people out there who would disagree with the idea that others being allowed to feel or think for themselves. You should have no problem refutting what I wrote about and proving my whole idea of individuals express their own feelings as being wrong. I'd be happy to hear these beliefs of yours.

baddax
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
How about if instead of reporting them, we had them teleported to us and in PvP mode? :D

I like your style!

baddax
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
You wish to rebuff my statement that people should be allowed to feel how they wish? No one is stopping you from countering this idea of mine. I am sure there are people out there who would disagree with the idea that others being allowed to feel or think for themselves. You should have no problem refutting what I wrote about and proving my whole idea of individuals express their own feelings as being wrong. I'd be happy to hear these beliefs of yours.

I prefer to be told what to think, it takes to much time and energy to develope my own ideas and opinions. Or so i was told

Saaluta
05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
JD, you might want to edit your post as atm it looks like you are advertising for someone and cubie doesn't like that :)

Saal :)

that would be post #20 :)

Quanefel
05-23-2008, 02:47 AM

With their logout button disabled for like 10 minutes...O.o

Retsam
05-23-2008, 03:49 AM
All limitations applied to trial accounts only:

Problem No.1 - spamming:
shouldn't be able to send tells or mail to anyone
unless they received a mail or a tell from that person previously
or unless that person have added them to the friends list

Problem No.2 - untraceable trade:
shouldn't be able to have more than 100k plat
limit all transactions to 10k plat:
can't trade over 10k plat at one time
not allowed to sell on auction without outbid value and outbid value is limited to 10k plat
bidding or buying out on auction is limited to 10k plat

pretty sure theres an option under the UI settings that lets you do no.1.. but it for everyone not just trail accounts

insania2016
05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Don't buy it.

If there is no demand, there is no business. No business means no money and therefore no market for plat farmers. If no one buys their goods then they will eventually stop as there would be no profit in it.

Kaldais
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't buy it.

If there is no demand, there is no business. No business means no money and therefore no market for plat farmers. If no one buys their goods then they will eventually stop as there would be no profit in it.

I'm start to think OP might be working for a plat seller, because he sure devotes a lot of time keeping those threads alive on the forums. What better way of promoting a business than giving them continuous name recognition.

Quanefel
05-23-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm start to think OP might be working for a plat seller, because he sure devotes a lot of time keeping those threads alive on the forums. What better way of promoting a business than giving them continuous name recognition.

How is me writing threads or posts against plat farming companies mean I am promoting them? I do not see the connection at all nor this idea of me giving them name recognition when no plat farming company names are ever mentioned. Funny how that is. I'll just have to assume you are confused here and do not understand what you wrote fully, so I will not take offense to it.