PDA

View Full Version : Mark Your Calendars! Monk Week is coming!!

Quarion
05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Don't forget! Monk week is just around the corner! May 26-30th has been dubbed "Monk Week" and we'll be telling you all about MONKS!

Mark your calendars now, and don't miss it!

Wrustle
05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
looking forward to it Q.

houxer1
05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
does that mean that mod 7 goes live that week or will it now be the first week of june that mod 7 comes out??
i remember it was tentaviely April then May but now June? just would like some idea PLEASE!!

and as a side note when is Risia going live with it??

Gol
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Don't forget! Monk week is just around the corner! May 26-30th has been dubbed "Monk Week" and we'll be telling you all about MONKS!

And there I was, thinking this post would actually contain, I don't know, something new...

/sigh

Thanks for old news, I guess...

Club'in
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
My personal preference would be for this to be on Risia at least two weeks. Let's get the kinks out BEFORE it goes live!

moorewr
05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
...telling? :mad:

Fahkrin
05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Tell us when we'll get to PLAY monks! No WDA this week?

Jeannie
05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I need to be able to plan to call in sick :)

Aspenor
05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
What I interpret from this post is that we will hear about monks and their details in the end of may, but Mod 7 won't come till June. :mad::(:o:eek:

Blind_Skwerl
05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Please do us one favor. When monk is finally revealed, please have a monk category made in the Classes sub-forum. It will help to keep all the info, mis-info, and speculation all in one spot.

Deaths_ward
05-14-2008, 07:28 PM
does that mean that mod 7 goes live that week or will it now be the first week of june that mod 7 comes out??
i remember it was tentaviely April then May but now June? just would like some idea PLEASE!!

and as a side note when is Risia going live with it??

And Please tell me weather I wasted the $15 sub fee for May thinking I might get to tool around with monks, when I could have just waited until June.

Rowanheal
05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I only have one question...

How do I make my monk pink? Is there a pink belt? Pink clothes? I mean I have a need to know...

(I think we all secretly knew if it was May it would be the 30th... much as I hate to, I have to agree with Asp...Juneish!)

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

ENGRAV0
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM

How do I make my monk pink? Is there a pink belt? Pink clothes? I mean I have a need to know...

(I think we all secretly knew if it was May it would be the 30th... much as I hate to, I have to agree with Asp...Juneish!)

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Nice wording Hun, we are learning. :)

So, tell ya what, ANYTHING Monk related I find, if it is PINK you get first dibs at it. Should keep down on interesting thread topics for a while.

Aspenor
05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Nice wording Hun, we are learning. :)

So, tell ya what, ANYTHING Monk related I find, if it is PINK you get first dibs at it. Should keep down on interesting thread topics for a while.

She loved that thread. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Baron
05-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Mark Your Calendars! Monk Week is coming!!

LOL perhaps trying to keep everyone's focus here and not elsewhere at the end of the month?

GreenGurgler
05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
LOL perhaps trying to keep everyone's focus here and not elsewhere at the end of the month?

Hehe, you mean like this ? http://www.ageofconan.com/ ???

I hope thats not the case, a new competitors game comes out and all we get is INFO about a class only some care about to try and keep our attention. Maybe MOD 7 will be released that week at the same time we learn all about it otherwise its a just cheesy attempt to try and distract us.

I really hope its not the cheese... :(

Gengulphus
05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
:mad::(:o:eek:

The four stages of grieving!
I'm with ya bro.

Drider
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM

I hope thats not the case, a new competitors game comes out and all we get is INFO about a class only some care about to try and keep our attention. Maybe MOD 7 will be released that week at the same time we learn all about it otherwise its a just cheesy attempt to try and distract us.

AoC? They are really trying to shoot themselves in the foot atm. Considering they have screwed a bunch of customers by capping the amount of people that can get into their headstart. Meaning even if you got a head start code, and if you didn't register early enough and weren't lucky enough to be picked, then you are SOL. There are alot of cancelled pre-orders going on right now. That and the fact that the PvP open beta turned off alot of players as well.

VonBek
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Please do us one favor. When monk is finally revealed, please have a monk category made in the Classes sub-forum. It will help to keep all the info, mis-info, and speculation all in one spot.

Should have one now.

Quanefel
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Does that mean we get to wait even more just to hear about the monk class? Slightly disappointed here.

moorewr
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
What we need to keep us serene:
An announcement saying no WDA this week because the Module is in final QA
A statement that it will on Risia this month
..and will be live when, before, during, or after Monk Week?

DasLurch
05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow a post about something that we 1) again informed of an event that was already known about, 2) still don't know what it will be about, 3) Have no idea if there will be something "important" also contained within this event, and 4) beat's the news of a Risia update, WDA and any news about the release of the Mod that it is touting. Nice hype post about something that has no meaning as of now.

I know it's not your fault Q, but I can't help but feel as if someone is dropping the proverbial ball on this. Maybe we can get some actual information on the next Dev post.

Angelus_dead
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Some advice for you:

1. The most important question anyone will have about monks is: "Can I play one?"
2. If the answer to that is anything besides "Yes, and you don't need to delete any existing character", then you are in trouble.

TheDoctor
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
We want Monk.... We want Monk.... Cmon everybody.... We want Monk... We want Monk...

ArkoHighStar
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
yay monk info

oh nevermind nothing to see here

Gengulphus
05-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Nice suggestion - I second it!

As a great thinker once said (was it Aquinas?): "Delayed hope leads to deflation and the threshold of despair."

/sigh

:(

moorewr
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Nice suggestion - I second it!

As a great thinker once said (was it Aquinas?): "Delayed hope leads to deflation and the threshold of despair."

/sigh

:(

Who said "Justice delayed is justice denied?" Was it Brandeis?

Not that it applies here. Or wouldn't if there was any justice. Or something. :rolleyes:

Hyldr
05-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Well, hot dang!.. I just canceled my subscription... :((no..you can't have my stuff :eek:as I will be back.,,, maybe...eventually:confused:) Oh well, I guess I play around with the monks when and if I get back..:D

Kisaragi
05-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd say we see mod 7 about July...sometime around the fourth....

Why? Well once the info for monks comes out, there'll be a week to 'work' the final bugs out. Two weeks on test server (along with other 'fixes') and then everyone will get email about the upcoming monk and a new 'welcome back' weekend.

I don't say this to be mean spirited, but often times game/mod releases are at holidays so that they can use the publicity at sites such as a MMOrpg or others. All in hopes of drawing in new players and old ones in time for the quarterly reports.

I don't dislike turbine for doing this however, as it seems to be pretty common practice. Companies want to see what their competitors are doing and then react accordingly. If WoW did something outrageous that caused thousands of people to join, I'm sure we'd see it here to a smaller extent.

The only thing I wish?
That when things are reported as 'fixed' they're fixed, the lag is a good example.
That when things in the game are 'updated' such as monsters getting a bit better SR they let us know.
That when loot in quests is being 'toned down' we are given a heads up.

I was commenting on all three tonight in game.

ArkoHighStar
05-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Who said "Justice delayed is justice denied?" Was it Brandeis?

Not that it applies here. Or wouldn't if there was any justice. Or something. :rolleyes:

You know what makes this even funnier is that LOTRO has a monthly conference call with MMORPG.com to discuss al upcoming items, including the upcoming expansion

Uska
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
AoC? They are really trying to shoot themselves in the foot atm. Considering they have screwed a bunch of customers by capping the amount of people that can get into their headstart. Meaning even if you got a head start code, and if you didn't register early enough and weren't lucky enough to be picked, then you are SOL. There are alot of cancelled pre-orders going on right now. That and the fact that the PvP open beta turned off alot of players as well.

Regular beta of that piece of trash caused me to cancel before the open beta, mini games to take part in sieges where you have to be one of the top players of one of the top guilds to take part in a seiges. Massive siege battles being only 48 v 48 thats massive? I remember pvp battles in swg larger then that. AoC isnt shooting themselves in the foot at the moment they are blowing the entire lower half of the bodies off. It may turn out to be a fine game in the end but myself I see another vangaurd or hellgate london coming on.

Uska
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Does that mean we get to wait even more just to hear about the monk class? Slightly disappointed here.

Yeah me to about monks anyways but still having fun in game so I can hang for a bit as there is no other game I want to play until 2009 since AoC let me down.

Solmage
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Woot monkeys!

We'll be learning all about the way of the banana! Weeee :p

Solmage
05-14-2008, 11:45 PM

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Hmmmm, pink monkeys.. the world may never be the same :)

====

As for the deadline thing, there are two future possibilities. Either you learn to live with shifting deadlines because that simply happens during development, or you learn to live with them not ever again telling you even a broad estimate of when something will be released.

dragnmoon
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah me to about monks anyways but still having fun in game so I can hang for a bit as there is no other game I want to play until 2009 since AoC let me down.

What is coming in 2009?

I am waiting for World of Darkness online.... but since they just started development on that, it is going to be many years before that comes out...

Jopin
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

So, "Surrender the Pink" to Rowanheal?

Drider
05-14-2008, 11:56 PM
What is coming in 2009?

I am waiting for World of Darkness online.... but since they just started development on that, it is going to be many years before that comes out...

Stargate Worlds for me.. possibly Champions Online.

adamkatt
05-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Tell us when we'll get to PLAY monks! No WDA this week?

Lol... no kidding.... Add monks then give us the info...

axebender
05-15-2008, 01:14 AM
My personal preference would be for this to be on Risia at least two weeks. Let's get the kinks out BEFORE it goes live!

/sarcasm....yea right we cant even get the kinks outta paladins...
/stops himself :)

Auran82
05-15-2008, 01:18 AM
I would prefer more of a:

Mark Your Calendars! MoD 7 is coming!!

<INSERT DATE HERE>

But what can we do, to me this announcement (and the email containing this information a few weeks ago) would say that mod 7 wont be here until after Monk week.

FluffyCalico
05-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Sorry that overlaps with my demonologist leveling

ENGRAV0
05-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Fluffy, you too? Cool, hope to see you also.

Did you get the EA?

Dariuss
05-15-2008, 02:08 AM

yup! AoC is DDO's DDOOOOOOOOM!

oh wait, that was NWN 2

well.... AoC is DDO's DDOOOOOOOOM v2.0! heh! beat that!

what? DDOOOOOOOOM v2.0 was Vanguard?

oh

well

AoC is DDO's DDOOOOOOOOM v3.0 then! mwahaha

/sarcasm (I'm just getting sick of hearing about AoC, and I bet a shiny copper it's going to fall flat on it's face)

Dariuss
05-15-2008, 02:12 AM
What is coming in 2009?

Darkfall?

Or are they going to doanother few years of testing? :p

(don't get me wrong, it look pretty cool, i'm just wondering if the darn thing will ever actually be released)

Jondallar
05-15-2008, 02:28 AM
:rolleyes: MONK WEAK :rolleyes:

Strykersz
05-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Stargate Worlds for me.. possibly Champions Online.

That's Q3 2008 unless they push it back.

Azarath
05-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Let's see,

Since joining for the 10 day trial to see IF I wanted to subscribe, I've found the following:

1. No monks, which are one of my favorite classes, and I get the distinct impression (since someone told me a former dev post said we would have them BEFORE or BY the end of the year LAST YEAR) that Turbine is dragging their collective (insert 3 letter word for donkey here) abbout it.

2. No druids, I can understand due to the Wildshape ability, but there are variant rules for them that leave out that ability replacing it with energy resistances that could be used.

3. No warlocks, I know it's a secondary class that is debated alot, but since it's a core class in 4.0, it would have been just as easy to add here before the game was over 2 years old.

4. No favored souls, if you have sorcerers you gotta have them too, it's just balance for people who like NOT having to choose from a massive spell list.

5. No prestige classes, considering most of them can be taken from 5th level on, this should have been available a while ago as well.

Add these points to the fact that we also don't have access to the CORE races from the player's handbook, the MASSIVE in-game lag, the tendency I've seen in the archive posts of leading on for MONTHS to deliver update material before implimenting it, and the fact that in June they will be technically 6 months behind from the original promise date of the addition of monks, and it looks like I'll be letting my 10 day die to go back to WOW. And that really sucks, since I LOVE D&D and was hoping for WAY more from this than is currently available in NWN2. You REALLY dropped the ball Turbine...thanks for nothing!

RazorrX
05-15-2008, 06:34 AM
My thinking is that Monks will be released on the 29th (near the end of Monk Week), and will NOT hit Risa first.

I think the days of Risa being a test server are over, It could have too low a population, or maybe the mournlands server feels that it is doing all that needs be done.

Shaamis
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM

Looks like I'll have a solid two weeks to try something else, and get hooked there, before I even get a chance to put all of the monk items I have been saving to good use......

In the past I have said I am willing to be patient to wait, if the final product comes out with almost flawless Implementation....but somehow, I still have doubts that the additional time will prove worth the wait.

<sound of soul escaping>

Shaamis
05-15-2008, 06:58 AM
My thinking is that Monks will be released on the 29th (near the end of Monk Week), and will NOT hit Risa first.

I think the days of Risa being a test server are over, It could have too low a population, or maybe the mournlands server feels that it is doing all that needs be done.

I deleted my Risia client last week, I feel the same as you on that matter.

VonBek
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM
My thinking is that Monks [...] will NOT hit Risa first.

FWIW, I got that sense, as well.

moorewr
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
/sarcasm....yea right we cant even get the kinks outta paladins...
/stops himself :)

KINKY PALADINS?! :eek:

Hmm.. time to go write up a new Prestige Class... Paladins of the Love Gods...

EinarMal
05-15-2008, 08:11 AM

oh wait, that was NWN 2

oh

well

/sarcasm (I'm just getting sick of hearing about AoC, and I bet a shiny copper it's going to fall flat on it's face)

Well I hate to break it to you but with probably 30-50K subs on a good month they were not that far off. Basically this game has a skeleton crew of devs at this point. We are lucky to get 3 updates a year now. Go back and read some of the empty promises made over the years level 20 by end of 07 monks fall of 06.

Bah....

Rowanheal
05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Well I hate to break it to you but with probably 30-50K subs on a good month they were not that far off. Basically this game has a skeleton crew of devs at this point. We are lucky to get 3 updates a year now. Go back and read some of the empty promises made over the years level 20 by end of 07 monks fall of 06.

Bah....

I sometimes rant. Other times I praise.

In this case I am going to come right down the middle.

On one hand, Turbine has hired quite a few people that I can think of in the last 6 months or so... (anyone remember all those new devs who posted a month or so ago? One of them was even on the last Ask the Devs segment of the DDO Podcast) Turbine has been working very very hard lately.

While I am experiencing Mid Mod blues, and I do WANT content faster...I was pleased to hear Kate say in an interview a little while ago that they have plans 2 or 3 years out for my favorite game of choice.

As for broken promises, I have seen hopes for Monks delayed since the fall of last year, druids are barely mentioned anymore, Guild Housing delayed so on and so forth...

BUT...I am getting quivers in this Mod 7, Crafting is now in the game ( even if have my own complaints about it), I thought the game needed some finishing UI touches and we have them, we got bags for collectibles, gems, crafting components, ranged combat has had some tweaks, we have new monster AI (and the issues that go with but good try), we had a fabulous live event...

So I have to say, I get real cranky about things on occasion. I fuss, cry, moan and groan about not getting what I want WHEN I want it, but Turbine has been pretty darn responsive lately.

Overall I would have to say balance is a good thing.

With that said, I want Mod 7 now so I can make a PINK Monk!!!

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

dragnmoon
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Darkfall?

Or are they going to doanother few years of testing? :p

(don't get me wrong, it look pretty cool, i'm just wondering if the darn thing will ever actually be released)

Darkfall?....I have no idea what you are talking about... They only started developing the game a few months ago..and the only announcement for the WoD Online game is that they were hiring... It is being made by CCP, same company that makes Eve Online..

Article here (http://www.white-wolf.com/index.php?articleid=735)

moorewr
05-15-2008, 08:25 AM
*shrug* Big promises are part of any game launch. Any once you find out you aren't developing for 90,000 subscribers.. you act like a profit-oriented private company should and make sure you don't go in the red.

Anyway, I'm still having fun. They've replaced and added developers, and they're still adding content. We're a revenue stream, and they want us around. I figure we'll last as long as Asheron's Call, come what may, but they should strive for more than that. It could be so much more.

I just wish they'd TRY to get out of their marketing deal, and get more subs so we'd be worth more development.. and I wish they would use consistent good practices in their public communication - how can you run a company and a game through six major updates and still do so badly at managing expectations? Is your QA schedule slipping? Great! Say "No WDA this week, we're in final QA, but don't expect to see it launch for a few more weeks. Oh, and by the way, when we say "TELL you about monks" we mean play with them.

So much Mod 5 anguish was self-inflicted. I tell ya, it's happening all over again.

Kraak
05-15-2008, 08:31 AM

hmmmm, this happens a lot when people screw up (i.e. poor QA for releases/patching). They would tell us if they knew. But honestly, they probably don't know what they're going to release. And they trying to keep from making themselves look foolish but constantly changing expectations. Its all good in the end, if they can release things we don't expects blah, blah, blah.... But right now, they're grinding through what anemic QA process they have trying to get things ready as soon as they can. Will most likely blow through May as the previously announced released date, use "Monk Week" as a marketing tool to build interest, which overlies slipping the date. I'm not saying that's the only reason for "Monk Week". They need the whole promotion thing. But they'd be busting a gut to tell you about all the great content that's coming, if they truly thought it was great and when they'd actually release it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the AI issue got put on the table as a high priority issue late in the development cycle. As far as that goes, stuff happens and they're trying to deal with it.

/signed cynical about community relations

EinarMal
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
That 9.99 6 month promotion is looking pretty shady at this point, make me down as one of the suckers....if it is June for monks that will be the last money they get out of me.

Pfamily
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM

The eraser for my Dry Erase board is wearing out...

Delacroix21
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
I am looking forward to it as well but with reservations... Still NO word on whether we will get greensteel kamas and quarterstaves in Mod 7, please comment!

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Bah....

I'd like to know how you can substantiate comments like "This game has a skeleton crew of developers."

A team of entrepreneurs formed Turbine over a decade ago with the vision of becoming the leading provider of online entertainment. Since then, the Company has grown to over 200 employees and become the largest privately-held online gaming studio in North America. Turbine has created some of the most popular and exciting game worlds on the Internet, like the award-winning Asheron's Call®, Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™, and The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™.

Aspenor
05-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I am looking forward to it as well but with reservations... Still NO word on whether we will get greensteel kamas and quarterstaves in Mod 7, please comment!

Um, actually there has been word.

Kamas and Qstaffs should be included in Greensteal Items when Mod 7 hits.

Aspenor
05-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd like to know how you can substantiate comments like "This game has a skeleton crew of developers."

I'd like to know what would constitute a "skeleton crew" myself. 5 people? 10 people?

From recent memory there are several developers on staff that NEVER post on the forums.

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I'd like to know what would constitute a "skeleton crew" myself. 5 people? 10 people?

From recent memory there are several developers on staff that NEVER post on the forums.

My take on it...

As long as turbine is still hiring for positions for Dungeons and Dragons online the game is doing fine.

(darnit I wish I could work for turbine. :) )

EinarMal
05-15-2008, 09:30 AM

Well if they have more than 5 working on this game given the extremely slow pace they are now going at, then they have other issues they need to deal with.

Seriously you look at the content being produced now in a span of 4-5 months it is less than they used to do in 2-3 months.

Proof is in the content or lack thereof....anyone that thinks they have a huge staff working on this game is deluding themselves.

moorewr
05-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Well if they have more than 5 working on this game given the extremely slow pace they are now going at, then they have other issues they need to deal with.

Seriously you look at the content being produced now in a span of 4-5 months it is less than they used to do in 2-3 months.

Proof is in the content or lack thereof....anyone that thinks they have a huge staff working on this game is deluding themselves.

Adding monks requires animators, coders, and QA. That's five people right there.. Then you have your monster AI person, your monster animators, your level designers and artists.. general game coding, QA... I can see how ten people who are also supporting a running game could be swamped.

EinarMal
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Adding monks requires animators, coders, and QA. That's five people right there.. Then you have your monster AI person, your monster animators, your level designers and artists.. general game coding, QA... I can see how ten people who are also supporting a running game could be swamped.

They often talk about "getting time" with the animators. I can assure they are borrowed from LOTRO and spend most of their time on that game.

juniorpfactors
05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

slightly!!!!....understatement of the year....NOONE cares to hear about monks for 4 days let alone 4 minutes....we have seen the video...release the new content the game is stale and boring

ArkoHighStar
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM

While I do not think that DDO's staff has shrunk as much as some believe, it is true that some did go work on LOTRO prior to that games launch, and then returned to DDO. I think the simple fact is DDO makes enough money to keep a staff going and make a profit, but Turbine considers it a niche game unlike LOTRO which is their "AAA" MMO. The difference is obvious in the level of information Turbine constantly releases to sites like MMORPG, with weekly updates on new features, monthly conference call interviews with the senior game design team, a well pubicized release date schedule. While DDO may have a dedicated team of developers, LOTRO has an internal marketing machine, that ensures that LOTRO gets as much free publicity as it can get.

Turbine just got 40 million dollars in funding, and the CEO of Turbine hinted that DDO fans would have a nice surprise, let hope that not just more hype and it actually means something. The simple fact is DDO came first and Turbine used DDO to get all the kinks out of the engine, launch etc, they even admitted as much, stating that they learned a lot form the DDO launch and used that info to help with the launch of LOTRO.

So I make one final plea before I simply stop asking, please give us some info now. If the mod is finished, and is infinal QA, then why wait until the end of May before telling us about monks, what quests we will se, what is new with crafting, Three Barrel Cove. Give us at leats something, and I promise I will never start another "Where is the State of the Game" thread

Samadhi
05-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Please include whether more character slots will be added or not - I need to decide whether this game has anything left for me or not.

DME543
05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't know what y'all are complaining about?
You got your monks yesterday....didn't you see the new splash screen :D

moorewr
05-15-2008, 09:59 AM
They often talk about "getting time" with the animators. I can assure they are borrowed from LOTRO and spend most of their time on that game.

It would be ridiculous not to have a pool of QA and animator staff for their projects.

EinarMal
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
It would be ridiculous not to have a pool of QA and animator staff for their projects.

You are the one claiming 10+ people work on the game full time not me. I would put the number much closer to 5 full time developers at most. Do they get some time with LOTRO QA and animators, yeah some...

If there are so many people working on this game explain to me how MODS now take 2x longer to produce and have less content than they used to?

The whole less frequent more content MODS was a total sham, you just have less MODS (which NEVER come out on time) with less content.

Wulf_Ratbane
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Has it been confirmed yet whether or not we're getting a new character slot to make our monk?

Aspenor
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Has it been confirmed yet whether or not we're getting a new character slot to make our monk?

No :(

raypal
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
A little kobold whspered in my ear...(which I cleaned immediately).."Monk Week" is as follows:

At the launch of "Monk Week" all current characters will be temporarily deleted. All players will be able to create Monks only and play for the entire "Monk Week" to learn all they can about Monks. At the end of "Monk Week" all Monks will be deleted and all previous characters will be reinstalled.......except for Paladins....they will be deleted..... because.....well just because.

Happy now that you know???

Tahlyn
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
And Please tell me weather I wasted the $15 sub fee for May thinking I might get to tool around with monks, when I could have just waited until June.

Kenders? There are no Kenders on Eberron. The world Eberron has these things called Halflings see?

Kenders live on the world Krynn.

Tahlyn
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Please include whether more character slots will be added or not - I need to decide whether this game has anything left for me or not.

Are you saying if we don't get a new slot for a monk, the game has nothing left for you? Let Me get this straight, you can't delete an exsisting character to make a monk? You're soooo attached to all your current characters that you can't delete one to try a monk, but you're willing to leave the game entire if you don't get a new slot? Cut your nose off to spite your face lately? Leaving the game means you don't get to play any of your characters.. which is the same as deleting them all. So you'd rather delete all your characters than delete just one to try something new? Out five servers you don't have one character you can delete?

Throw a lot of temper tantrums as a child did we? Break all your toys if you can't have the one new one you saw at the store?

Or did I miss read your intentions?

akla_thornfist
05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
i dont know if monks will keep me interested enough to renew my sub, level cap raise new spells and enhancments are what we need along with monks. oh well i guess we will see come june

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
The only "slow" thing happening this year is their release of this mod.

2006 - 7 "big" updates
2007 - 5 "big" updates
2008 - 1 big update so far, had it been released they would be trending in the same fashion as last year.

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Are you saying if we don't get a new slot for a monk, the game has nothing left for you? Let Me get this straight, you can't delete an exsisting character to make a monk? You're soooo attached to all your current characters that you can't delete one to try a monk, but you're willing to leave the game entire if you don't get a new slot? Cut your nose off to spite your face lately? Leaving the game means you don't get to play any of your characters.. which is the same as deleting them all. So you'd rather delete all your characters than delete just one to try something new? Out five servers you don't have one character you can delete?

Throw a lot of temper tantrums as a child did we? Break all your toys if you can't have the one new one you saw at the store?

Or did I miss read your intentions?

I won't try a monk without a new slot. I also don't feel like playing a 28 point build on a different server. Even more so I'd rather poke out my eyes than pay to have a character transfered to another server to get 32 point builds. I don't see the deal with opening another character slot. It's storage space, nothing more.

I currently have 1 character that has not used a +2 tome out of the 9 I have available. They are all 32 point builds. I'll play the low level content again but not at a cost of deleting a character to do so. Why bother?

Tahlyn
05-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I'll play the low level content again but not at a cost of deleting a character to do so. Why bother?

If you're saying no monk vs existing character I can understand that. Lucky Me I have two candidates for delete, but if I didn't I don't care that much about trying a monk, and I would eventually try one on a server I'm not living on. *shrug* As to a 28 point build.. so what? Those four points at start make a difference, but it's not the end of the world. It's not make or break, everyone starts with 28 point builds.. big deal.

If you're saying you'd cancel and leave the game over it. well, I already pranged that line of logic.

It's a wonder Turbine takes the time to look at the forums at all with all the whinning and threats day in day out. Why not just ask nicely and leave it at that? Dear Turbine, please give us a new slot to try out the new monk class. Love, your loyal subscribers.

Fact is, if you're ready to leave the game over whether or not we get another slot, you're ready to leave the game.
If it's not this issue, it'll be the next thing you don't get to go your way.

moorewr
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
You are the one claiming 10+ people work on the game full time not me. I would put the number much closer to 5 full time developers at most. Do they get some time with LOTRO QA and animators, yeah some...

If there are so many people working on this game explain to me how MODS now take 2x longer to produce and have less content than they used to?

The whole less frequent more content MODS was a total sham, you just have less MODS (which NEVER come out on time) with less content.

You are inferring things I didn't say. I listed off how many people I think are working on the Mod. I said they are using less resources because DDO is generating less revenue than they hoped at launch. The rest you confabulated.

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
If you're saying no monk vs existing character I can understand that. Lucky Me I have two candidates for delete, but if I didn't I don't care that much about trying a monk, and I would eventually try one on a server I'm not living on. *shrug* As to a 28 point build.. so what? Those four points at start make a difference, but it's not the end of the world. It's not make or break, everyone starts with 28 point builds.. big deal.

If you're saying you'd cancel and leave the game over it. well, I already pranged that line of logic.

It's a wonder Turbine takes the time to look at the forums at all with all the whinning and threats day in day out. Why not just ask nicely and leave it at that? Dear Turbine, please give us a new slot to try out the new monk class. Love, your loyal subscribers.

Fact is, if you're ready to leave the game over whether or not we get another slot, you're ready to leave the game.
If it's not this issue, it'll be the next thing you don't get to go your way.

I have 2 requests (one which fixes it on a much larger scale)

Big fix: Once reaching 1750 favor on -any- character flag the entire account to have access to build 32 point characters on any server. It's current implementation limits it to the server that character is on. That's poor programming. This would get me to play on 4 other servers and you'd probably never hear me whine about a character slot. I had 5 characters that have over 1750 favor but deleted one about a month ago to reroll into a 32 pointer. Comon already enough is enough...

Bandaid: Give everyone another character slot bringing the total to 10. Besides 10 is a nice even number.

I'm not going to quit the game over not getting another character slot but I'd be dipped about not having an opportunity to play a monk in a fashion that wouldn't require destroying a character.

It's like hey.. thanks for playing for 2 years. Slap! Now go make a monk.

ArkoHighStar
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
The only "slow" thing happening this year is their release of this mod.

2006 - 3 "big" updates + monthly updates
2007 - 2 "big" updates + monthly updates up to July then none
2008 - 1 big update so far, had it been released they would be trending in the same fashion as last year.

fixed that for you

Ransacked
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
fixed that for you

Not really...

ArkoHighStar
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Not really...

Its all in how you define it To me big updates are modules and theae are all the modules released so far

release 02/28/2006
Mod 1 April 2006
Mod 2 August 2006
Mod 3 October 2006

Mod 4 April 12 2007
Mod 5 September 29 2007

Mod 6 January 30 2008
Mod 7 Coming Soon™
Mod 8 Coming after Soon™

So in reality with mod 7 they will have equaled their big release output for 2007. Monthly updates included they woudl need mod 8 to equal 2007 total content.

Drider
05-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Umm.. Just by looking at Tolero's post on the dev tracker with all the pictures/lolcats, she names about 10 people that are working on the Mod, not including herself... and of course anyone she didn't mention.

To think that 5 people can do that much work for a mod in itself is rediculous. We'd be waiting more then 3-4 months.

Tahlyn
05-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I have 2 requests (one which fixes it on a much larger scale)

Big fix: Once reaching 1750 favor on -any- character flag the entire account to have access to build 32 point characters on any server.

Bandaid: Give everyone another character slot bringing the total to 10. Besides 10 is a nice even number.

I'm not going to quit the game over not getting another character slot but I'd be dipped about not having an opportunity to play a monk in a fashion that wouldn't require destroying a character.

It's like hey.. thanks for playing for 2 years. Slap! Now go make a monk.

Cool. Well said.

Invalid_86
05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
So if monk week is coming up...will there be a WDA coming up listing all of the things that will make the current "monk"
look like a monk instead of a Street Fighter knockoff? Cuz from what we've seen so far these aren't monks.

Greeka
05-15-2008, 06:20 PM
So after seeing that monk week is more of an informative seesion for the week I came to the conclusion that monks will not be released at end of May and that module 7 is being pushed into June sometime. This has me starting to think that they may be trying something different with their release here in that if it does hit the Risia server, it may be in limited release and only for a short period of time to whet player's appetites for something new and well as get some feedback. It seems to be they may be trying to extend the overall play life by having early release of the module and it content limited to maybe no access at all until release date.

Since these past two weeks has shown now dev activity with all concentration on finalization of the new module and class I think they have allocated extra time to testing and tweaking in the 3-5 weeks prior to the release of module 7. Now if the module is not released within the first week of June, it is my opinion that it will more then likely see an end of June release allowing for Turbine to add as much polish to the class as possible so it does not require rewrites like some of the other classes did (ie Rogue's evasion). Now if this is their plan I feel it has the potential to be good yet harmful at the same time. It is good in the sense that it will require more play time before people can begin to really develop the uber monk build and provide players with more time required to learn the class and learn how it will work best for their play style. However with the slow trickle of new content many players may be sick of the wait and head to AoC and stick with it (if they can fix the game's issues in a timely fashion).

Will just have to wait and see what Turbine has proposed for the coming week and where the release of the new module and content will fall.

GreenGurgler
05-15-2008, 06:43 PM

oh wait, that was NWN 2

oh

well

I never said anything in my post ABOUT any game being the doom or end of DDO, nor did I indicate one way or another that I was leaving any game for any other game.

I think the facts are pretty straight forward, AoC (which good or bad is a NEW mmo that will most likely draw some players from every mmo out there.. Im not saying lots, I dont/cant know but every game that has come out has peeled some players from somewhere else) is coming out May 20th. DDO has announced "Monk Week' the following week and has told us that we will learn all about Monk's then and they have not elaborated on what that means (info or the actual Mod).

I am speculating that the timing of this is NOT coincidental, but intentional on Turbines part to try and keep as many of those AoC flight risks focused on DDO as possible.

If, Monk Week means Mod 7 is released and everyone who wants to play one gets to 'learn all about Monks' then its a big plus for Turbine and may just keep a few players from leaving to try out other games. But if Turbine only releases INFO about monks that week, then I think it will hurt them some, but it will not be the DOOM of DDO. This is what makes me believe the timing of 'Monk week' is intentionally set to coincide with the release of a new competitior to DDO.

Frankly, I dont think there ever is a single DOOM moment (short of the company shutting the game down) for any MMO, but rather a slow and steady decline leading to its own demise.

For the record, I personally dont care one bit about monks and I never have. I am interested in Mod 7 for all the other updates, fixes, crafting, etc... that comes along with it. In fact, I almost dread the monk release for the glut of monks and lack of other classes we may see after their release as everyone makes a new monk or splashes monk in their build. So there is no way this could drive me from the game, that will eventually be done by Turbine over a long slow period. ;)

Tunes_Steele
05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh boy, I'm so excited that theres no new quests. Running ww for the 100th time sounds simply amazing!

Pellegro
05-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh boy, I'm so excited that theres no new quests. Running ww for the 100th time sounds simply amazing!

Why do you say that? They said they redid 3 Barrell Cove and there are new quests. Check the interveiws from 10tonhammer or the other gaming sites.

Auran82
05-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Why do you say that? They said they redid 3 Barrell Cove and there are new quests. Check the interveiws from 10tonhammer or the other gaming sites.

Yay, lets include small bits of information about the new mod in interviews on third party sites, say almost nothing on the official sites and then advertise and Upcoming Monk Week! with no actual information on the class, mod, quests, anything really after you have not posted a WDA for 2 weeks.

It's looking more and more like the 6 months at reduced price was to get people to subscribe for a longer term because they knew there would be no new content out for most of that 6 months and hey, you've already pre-paid.

ENGRAV0
05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Auran, of course they knew competition was coming out, and they couldn't possibly keep the content level alone up high enough to keep people from being curious what else is that other game. It is called marketing, if there hadn't been any other competition out there, and if their numbers weren't changing, or aren't, as I can't PROVE they are/were, they would never offer a reduced price. There would be absolutely NO reason to.

TechNoFear
05-16-2008, 01:36 AM

Sorry I won't be able to make it, I have already booked in for 'barbarian month' elsewhere.

I am interested in PLAYING online games, not reading about what I might be able to play sometime in the future.

GeneralDiomedes
05-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Who marks calendars anymore? You mean .. send yourself an event request!

tenga
05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
"Ten Ton Hammer: Do you have an official release date for Module 7 yet?
Kate: Not yet. We have May 2008 as our target month, but we don’t have a date within that month yet.
Ten Ton Hammer: So it will hopefully be sometime in May.
Kate: Yup!"

like your parents saying that christmas will now be held in january.. but we'll tell you all about what you'll get on dec. 25th!

Guildmaster_Kadish
05-16-2008, 05:22 PM

In other words... Mod7 isn't coming out until June. And there I was thinking they had planned to get it out in April...

Xorm
05-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I am curious as to why we never get a response to our questions, they can post a note, but there is no follow-up, and it is really aggravating, and is a poor way to do business.

just my two cents.

GlassCannon
05-17-2008, 04:02 AM
I am curious as to why we never get a response to our questions, they can post a note, but there is no follow-up, and it is really aggravating, and is a poor way to do business.

just my two cents.

You don't have 61 pages of rules and regulations as to what you can and can't say as a developer, should you choose to post during a 12-14 hour per day 6 day per week development schedule...

Them responding to every little thing would push our modules back by months at a time.

GlassCannon
05-17-2008, 04:03 AM
In other words... Mod7 isn't coming out until June. And there I was thinking they had planned to get it out in April...

January 2006-ish... :p

Xorm
05-17-2008, 02:17 PM
You don't have 61 pages of rules and regulations as to what you can and can't say as a developer, should you choose to post during a 12-14 hour per day 6 day per week development schedule...

Them responding to every little thing would push our modules back by months at a time.

Thats not what i am asking.

I am asking how come they don't tell us when stuff is happening, which is my main point here. hard to plan on activities when you don't know when things are going to happen. This is the reason i am frustrated. however my point that i was getting at, was why have a forum that we can reply to, if they are not going to answer our questions? seems silly to me, to post a thread that you can reply to, and then just ignore the questions set forth, i mean after the reading through the first 2-3 pages, i gave up and skipped to the end to post my thoughts.

I do not want to go through 61 pages of rules and regulations, nor do i want anyone else, but if you look most other mmo games they for the most part say the release date is **/**/**** and they know that it is coming out then, and that is the way it is. seems that our favorite game is being ran by a bunch of people with ADHD, which I can attest to, because i have it also. everyone that has ever played any other online game surely can attest, that they new when the update was coming and what was going to be in it, before it even went to beta testing. SO, i know my posting is rambaling and is actually covering to points instead of just one, but please here are the questions i want answered.

1) what is mod 7's release date?
2) why post a thread about something, and give no real information?
3) why no follow up on the questions asked? esp the ones about you are keeping them in the dark.

As a paying subscriber I believe I have the right to know when new content is coming, you know clear concise answers to what is going on. Turbine has said in the past that we the subscribers are what they are here for, and the majority rules. I believe that the majority of the subscribers want to know when updates are coming, and what is included in them. This is not to much to ask, and has nothing to do with the 61 pages of rules and regulations, but just providing good customer service.

EightyFour
05-17-2008, 02:24 PM
What I'm hearing from this is Monks are coming out on May 26th.

And that's what the word is around Stormreach, I heard May 26th before I saw this post, so this just confirms this as the release date of monks. I'm just a little concerned why no release on Risa. My only figuring on that one is that there is a lot of anticipation for Monks and you want to hold on to them as long as you can so that they are all ready for the Monks week. And it's not like releaseing it of Risa is much help anyway right, your not going to find minior bugs because no one plays over there and you can't have people releasing all that Monky goodness from the Risa server and mixing everyone up.

Just hoping that you add the Monk information to the Wiki so I don't have to wait to build my monk tell after everyone has gotten there monk up to 16.

mikerice2224
05-17-2008, 10:12 PM

My dad and I are some of the ones they screwed. It's definately not a good sign of things to come for AoC. We already paid for and picked up our preorders though, so we've got a "free" month starting Tuesday. I was going to play DDO and AoC at once, but if they keep breaking their promises then AoC will be in the T-O-I-L-E-T.

MrWizard
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM

monk week does not equal new mod right?

BattleCircle
05-18-2008, 11:01 AM
But I read it as an EVENT. Think back to the anniversary event and the lag that was evident at times as they prepared the servers. ;)

GibsonP
05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Your going to take a week to tell me about monks?

If I wanted to know about your release of monks, I would read my PHP, and take about half of their abilities away (all the cool stuff), and end up with a pretty good approximation of what you have planned.

GP

moorewr
05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, tell me is OK so long as I can try out what you're saying - at least on Risia. Off-game monk-stuff only will be a guaranteed letdown.

KuRRuPT
05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
wonder if any you pen and paper guys out there can point out what stats will be needed to make a pure monk fighter. str/dex etc....

Gunga
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

/tru

I actually got into the AoC beta on the 10th, leveled a toon to 14 during the headstart on the 17th, and on the 18th rolled a new toon in DDO. DDO rocks. AoC meh.

Blind_Skwerl
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM
My understanding is that monks work a bit like paladins: several stats need attention. Dex for AC & evasion (monks are good at this) and attack if finnese built. Strength for damage, attack (if strength based), and some good loot hauls. Wisdom improves monk skills, Ki, AC, and saves. Constitution is a standard for any class: more is better, just don't gimp the other stats. Intelligence and charisma are the only ones not to be concernced with. I'm planning on going for a human finesse 32 pointer with 14 strength, 16 dex, 14 con, and 16 wisdom. These plans are in no way set in stone though. DDO has had a tendancy to "massage" stuff comming from PnP. Monk week is "comming soon" (TM). We'll see then.

Delacroix21
05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
So monk week is just hearing more of what we can see for ourselves on the Risia Forums? =(

Here I was thinking that it would be the release of Mod 7 and bonus xp for new characters. I am very disappointed, dont need a monk "week" if all it is is info, just make it monk "day" or "hour."

1) what is mod 7's release date?
2) why post a thread about something, and give no real information?
3) why no follow up on the questions asked? esp the ones about you are keeping them in the dark.

Quoted for truth.

Karranor
05-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Where is this information hiding? I would really like to know about all thier abilities and neat class tricks so I can plan out my monk before Tuesday. However I am having some trouble finding out about monks other then the rumors flying around the message board.

Thanks

Wook
05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Well if you really want info go look at the risia forums
if your wondering what they are like go play on risia

They need str/dex/con/wis
Mix and match to suit your needs
They also need without a doubt Concentration

And they told us its June 3 for release gee thats Tuesday i think you can wait.