PDA

View Full Version : Founders Helm (and other special items) & Crafting

Litz
05-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes I am one of the people who still have thier founders helm in the bank taking up space. Since they are starting crafting, I've got 2 questions in mind.

1) Will these items ever change? (As in grow in power over time)

2) If I use it with a recipee can I ever reverse it incase I want to take advantage of a new recipee that hit the streets?

There are other items beside the helm though that fall into this catagory, and even items not linked to the account, but are rare/special like a sunblade for example..

Anyone hear from any QA session or other source from a Dev on this topic?

Vorn
05-14-2008, 10:27 AM
How about a 3x Misery's web...recipe to make it "heightened" in some manner?
:)

rfachini
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Space is so limited I've already trashed some of my founder's helms.
Expect some whining (but not from me) if they are made useful for high level characters.

Wutinni
05-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I like the idea, it would be nice to see Turbine payback some loyalty.

Aspenor
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
In general it's a bad idea to make items that depend on your date or type of subscription for the end-game. It's one thing to throw a bone to a lowbie (+1 Natural AC, or in my case, 5% striders) but quite another to give a high level item that no player can obtain through in-game means.

Litz
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
In general it's a bad idea to make items that depend on your date or type of subscription for the end-game. It's one thing to throw a bone to a lowbie (+1 Natural AC, or in my case, 5% striders) but quite another to give a high level item that no player can obtain through in-game means.

Ahh but I did not say I wanted it to be uber or something a newb cannot get. Thier could be craftable items of equivilant value to a upgraded founder helm (or other simular item). The main idea is as someone above said to reward loyalty, not as a means to segregate new people, or to overpower the game. Also to my specific questions and why I ask, I was thinking of doing the adamantine ritual to my helm. Ok blah its still a novelty item. No newbe can get one, but they can do a adamantine ritual on any lvl 2 helm in the game and have as good an item. The twist is lets say at the 3 or 5 year aniversary they want to to upgrade the founder helm. Does having modified it with the ritual void it from being upgraded? Also they are going to be coming out with other rituals or recipees. Lets say they make one a Underwater Breathing ritual. Because I performed a adimantine ritual on my helm, can I not remove it then use the new recipee that was unavailable then?

Hope people see my point.. If not they can look at my blunt end..

trptim
05-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Also they are going to be coming out with other rituals or recipees. Lets say they make one a Underwater Breathing ritual. Because I performed a adimantine ritual on my helm, can I not remove it then use the new recipee that was unavailable then?

For your question on putting another ritual on an item.

From the Starting Guide to Crafting

Eldritch Rituals – An attuned item can have one line of Eldritch Rituals placed upon it. Thus far, the only ritual that the Twelve have found is called the Adamantine Ritual, which increases the hardness and durability of an item. This ritual requires Adamantine Ore and Soul Gems: Essence of Earth (produced by the Trap the Soul spell), and can be placed on an item up to five times (though later applications increase only the durability of the item). In future modules, many more Eldritch Rituals will become available, but placing an Eldritch Ritual on an item will remove any others that are currently on the item.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Agreed. Two years into the game no item should be put in game that can't be obtained by someone who didn't join by an arbitrary date.

Arianrhod
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Agreed. Two years into the game no item should be put in game that can't be obtained by someone who didn't join by an arbitrary date.

But they could make those items (along with a variety of other items available by other means) craftable into something useful.

Giantsbane
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
How about a 3x Misery's web...recipe to make it "heightened" in some manner?
:)

lol.... I still have mine too. Haven't equipped it in ages, but just can't bring myself to toss it away. Still have my Founder's Helm and the +1 armor amulet as well.

Barumar
05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
lol.... I still have mine too. Haven't equipped it in ages, but just can't bring myself to toss it away. Still have my Founder's Helm and the +1 armor amulet as well.

Me too - on all my non-mule characters! Just can't imagine throwing them out after all this time...

I agree that it would be nice to be able to do something useful with them, but also agree it should not be able to be something uber "new" players can't get also!

Maybe just allowing a rutual (which costs time/components to perform) to enable the founder helms to become craft upgradable...

Barumar

akla_thornfist
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
im guilty of keeping the helms taking up space in my bank, i dont know why

honkuimushi
05-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I like this too, even though I am not a Founder. (I hadn't assembled my new computer yet when it went live, plus I had to wait for the boxes to make it here to Japan to pick it up.) I think it would be cool to be able to increase the AC bonus to 2 or 3 and be able to add new properties to it. Of course I think that new properties should be something that everyone can add to items. But a founders helm that grants a +2 or 3 to AC(but doesn't stack with Barkskin or other Natural Armor bonuses)and has some other property would be pretty nice. It's not overpowering, but it would be a useful item for many players.

Of course not every property should be able to be added by players and it should require binding an item and paying more than a random item of the same property is worth. Some people may disagree, but my big hope for crafting is getting control of my item slots.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-14-2008, 09:37 PM
But they could make those items (along with a variety of other items available by other means) craftable into something useful.

Only if you could craft an equivilent item without being a founder.

LOUDRampart
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
It would be nice if we could upgrade the lessor false life to greater false life on it. Grant it, a few of my characters would prefer a different helm but it could come in handy for some.

adamkatt
05-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Founder stuff gets deleted at about 2nd - 3rd lvl... always.

Borror0
05-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Yes, even more if they are tradable. For example, in Runescape (yes, I know) party hats (http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Party_hat) were a gift for Christmas 2001, to their players. Besides showing up on your head, they do nothing. However, for how rare they are... they are worth millions of gold pieces.