PDA

View Full Version : Sahaugin are coming ....

Pellegro
05-13-2008, 11:33 PM
So in one of the Mod 8 Interviews, they revealed that Sahaugin are one of the new monster's we'll be getting. I found this kinda interesting as they're like ... fish, right? Does this mean they'll be introducing underwater combat and casting in Mod8? Or are they just gonna fudge it and have them all "out of water" taking con damage???

Anyone have any further info on this or thoughts on how its gonna work. Or did I just imagine this?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/mcpine/MM35_PG217.jpg

Sahuagin
Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Talon +4 melee (1d4+2) or trident +4 melee (1d8+3) or heavy crossbow +3 ranged (1d10/19-20)
Full Attack: Trident +4 melee (1d8+3) and bite +2 melee (1d4+1); or 2 talons +4 melee (1d4+2) and bite +2 melee (1d4+1); or heavy crossbow +3 ranged (1d10/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood frenzy, rake 1d4+1
Special Qualities: Blindsense 30 ft., darkvision 60 ft., freshwater sensitivity, light blindness, speak with sharks, water dependent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 9
Skills: Handle Animal +4*, Hide +6*, Listen +6*, Profession (hunter) +1*, Ride +3, Spot +6*, Survival +1*
Feats: Great Fortitude, MultiattackB
Environment: Warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair, team (5-8), patrol (11-20 plus 1 3rd-level lieutenant and 1-2 sharks), band (20-80 plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level lieutenant and 1 4th-level chieftain per 20 adults plus 1-2 sharks), or tribe (70-160 plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level lieutenant per 20 adults, 1 4th-level chieftain per 40 adults, 9 4th-level guards, 1-4 underpriestesses of 3rd-6th level, 1 7th-level priestess, and 1 baron of 6th-8th level plus 5-8 sharks)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Medium), 6-10 HD (Large), or by character class
Level Adjustment: +2 (+3 if four-armed)

Most sahuagin feature green coloration, darker along the back and lighter on the belly. Many have dark stripes, bands, or spots, but these tend to fade with age. An adult male sahuagin stands roughly 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds.

Sahuagin are the natural enemy of aquatic elves. The two cannot coexist peacefully: Wars between them are prolonged, bloody affairs that sometimes interfere with shipping and maritime trade. Sahuagin have an only slightly less vehement hatred for tritons.

Sahuagin speak their own language, Sahuagin. Thanks to their high Intelligence scores, most sahuagin also speak two bonus languages, usually Common and Aquan.

Combat
Sahuagin are savage fighters, asking for and giving no quarter. When swimming, a sahuagin tears with its feet as it strikes with its talons or a weapon. About half of any group of sahuagin are also armed with nets.

Blindsense (Ex)
A sahuagin can locate creatures underwater within a 30-foot radius. This ability works only when the sahuagin is underwater.

Blood Frenzy
Once per day a sahuagin that takes damage in combat can fly into a frenzy in the following round, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +2 Constitution and +2 Strength, and takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. A sahuagin cannot end its frenzy voluntarily.

Rake (Ex)
Attack bonus +2 melee, damage 1d4+1. A sahuagin also gains two rake attacks when it attacks while swimming.

Freshwater Sensitivity (Ex)
A sahuagin fully immersed in fresh water must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 10 minutes it remains immersed.

Light Blindness (Ex)
Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds sahuagin for round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled while operating in bright light.

Speak with Sharks (Ex)
Sahuagin can communicate telepathically with sharks up to 150 feet away. The communication is limited to fairly simple concepts such as "food," "danger," and "enemy." Sahuagin can use the Handle Animal skill to befriend and train sharks.

Water Dependent (Ex)
Sahuagin can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).

Skills
A sahuagin has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*Underwater, a sahuagin has a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks.

*A sahuagin has a +4 racial bonus on Survival and Profession (hunter) checks within 50 miles of its home.

*A sahuagin has a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks when working with sharks.

Sahuagin Mutants
About one in two hundred sahuagin has four arms. Such creatures can make four claw attacks or use extra weapons, in addition to the claw and bite attacks.

Malenti
If a community of aquatic elves is located within 100 miles of a sahuagin community, about one in one hundred sahuagin looks just like an aquatic elf. These creatures, called malenti, have a swim speed of 40 feet, can remain out of water for 1 hour per point of Constitution, and have freshwater sensitivity and light sensitivity (dazzled in bright light). Malenti have no natural attacks. They are otherwise identical with sahuagin.

GeneralDiomedes
05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Hopefully this will mean underwater combat ?!?!?!

Or I suppose there will just be a bunch walking around 3 barrel cove badly in need of some vaseline

Gum
05-14-2008, 12:00 AM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8953/kuotoafr3.th.jpg (http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kuotoafr3.jpg) Kuo-Toa

This could be their partners in crime. Nice pic you got there btw. Should be neat to watch them go into a frenzy-like rage! lol

Tahlyn
05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Sahaugin come out of the water to fight land dwelers all the time. So combat need not be underwater.. no matter how cool that would be.

Dungnmaster001
05-14-2008, 12:20 AM
So in one of the Mod 8 Interviews, they revealed that Sahaugin are one of the new monster's we'll be getting. I found this kinda interesting as they're like ... fish, right? Does this mean they'll be introducing underwater combat and casting in Mod8? Or are they just gonna fudge it and have them all "out of water" taking con damage???

Anyone have any further info on this or thoughts on how its gonna work. Or did I just imagine this?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/mcpine/MM35_PG217.jpg

They are water dependant but can survive for 1 hour per 2 points of con (the stats you quote have 12 con so 6 hours) so as long as the dungeon has water in it, they can be out of water for combat. Don't know where you get the idea that they take con damage while out of water though....

QuantumFX
05-14-2008, 01:11 AM
THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgA2xo0HYrE) is where more DDO players would like to fight Sahaugin!

Wizzly_Bear
05-14-2008, 01:30 AM
that would be awesome to fight underwater finally. my first trip through the vale all i could think was "wow, they really spruced up the underwater. hope something comes out and tries to take a nibble" :D

Gordo
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh

Great D&D Module with our fish friends

Cuth
05-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Swimming is already a pain, now you want me to fight while I'm at it?

Raiderone
05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
I think underwater combat would be cool. About time to use those swim skills. Casting will be none existent or
special circumstances. Just imagine your in the Vale and you jump in the water for safety....NOT:eek:

moorewr
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
woo!

Next they'll be hinting at Yuan-Ti.. *dreams*

Lithic
05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
They might just give them all "overwater action necklaces" and have them come on land. With how often the UNDERwater action items drops, it wouldnt be too much of a stretch :D

Or maybe they all have a spell that does the same, but a dispel could make them suffocate :D

GeneralDiomedes
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
They might just give them all "overwater action necklaces" and have them come on land. With how often the UNDERwater action items drops, it wouldnt be too much of a stretch :D

Or maybe they all have a spell that does the same, but a dispel could make them suffocate :D

New spell: 'Air Breathing' which conjures a globe of water around your head .. now how funny would that be to fight an army of bubbleheads!

Warmane
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
New spell: 'Air Breathing' which conjures a globe of water around your head .. now how funny would that be to fight an army of bubbleheads!

ZOMG!! An army of Astronaught Sahaugin!!

Gum
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM

ROFL!

ArkoHighStar
05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
chances are it will be like ateraxia's haven with a large shallow area where they will be found like the scrags and rust monsters, on the beach, since three barrel cove is being turned into an island

Yaga_Nub
05-14-2008, 11:39 AM

I'd rather fight an army of potatoheads!

Barumar
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgA2xo0HYrE) is where more DDO players would like to fight Sahaugin!

LMAO - I watched that movie SO many times when my Daughter was a toddler - and have NOT watched it since!

Nice :)

Barumar

Kalanth
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
They could introduce the spell Breath Air, which should be in the Spell Compendium. That would mean they would not need to have water near them. Course, that would be a cheep way out and I would not expect them to do that.

Shadowblizmasta
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
They could introduce the spell Breath Air, which should be in the Spell Compendium. That would mean they would not need to have water near them. Course, that would be a cheep way out and I would not expect them to do that.

Of course, part of the problem with them being out of water is that they would dry up. They still breathe oxygen like (almost) everything else.

Pellegro
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Oops - I said Mod 8.

Looks like Sahaugin are actually coming in Mod 7.

video from new york comiccon with kate talkin a bit about ddo history and some mod 7
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/31780

highlights:
new green steel recipes (quar apparently said there would be kama and qs before so i dont know if this means just those 2 for monk or if it means those 2 and more)
2 raids confirmed, new wilderness area is also a raid area
3 new monsters... sahuagin, horned devil, living spells (check out the pirate mino on the pic)
release time 2nd half of may (with the newsletter yesterday talking about monk week 26-30th, id have to say release dates probably the 28th)
quivering palm mentioned, so first time this is confirmed
monk meter will have enhancements (this was a duh thing to add but once again first confirmation)
oh yes and mod 7 will be called way of the monk

might have missed something, probably did but this is a quick overview, watch it yourself, first 6 or 7 mins is mod 1-6 last 4 mins is mod 7

Tenkari_Rozahas
05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
maybe they will make it so you have to have UA to fight underwater or Water breathing, meaning WF will need to pick up this stuff inorder to do something underwater >>

Pellegro
05-15-2008, 10:11 PM
if you watch the video, it has a pic of one and it appears to be on land.

looks like underwater combat will have to be another day

LOUDRampart
05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I think it would take a major overhaul of the game engine have underwater fighting with spell casting.

I would still love it though. (I loved that dungeon in EQ where you get part of the druids epic weapon...)

Raiderone
05-16-2008, 08:20 AM
I think it would take a major overhaul of the game engine have underwater fighting with spell casting.

I would still love it though. (I loved that dungeon in EQ where you get part of the druids epic weapon...)

But wouldn't it be nice for once to have NO Spell Casting... Only Underwater combat not as hard. Movement would
be slower or based on your swim skills. Can you say House P Buffs? You might even have limitations on casting?

And make it more realistic, take off that plate mail. Heavier the armor, slower your movement in combat.
smaller weapons for faster action.

Venar
05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
HORRID WILTING

Murgatroyd
05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
HORRID WILTING

Here fishy fishy fishy! *ZAP* :)

moorewr
05-16-2008, 08:40 AM
But wouldn't it be nice for once to have NO Spell Casting...

MOURNLANDS! That's the answer.

bnrilfun
05-16-2008, 11:21 AM
So if they have out of water breathing spells, if we cast dispell magic then will they suffocate? Sort of like putting them into a cloud kill.

Kalanth
05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Of course, part of the problem with them being out of water is that they would dry up. They still breathe oxygen like (almost) everything else.

Easy fix. :)

Create Water!

Vizzini
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Was Honestly Expecting a that link to be a RICK ROLL lolz

unionyes
05-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Think of the new loot.

Fillet Knife +2
Two Handed Puncturing Gaff +1
Ring of Canning, casts Capture the Soul on Fish related mobs 3X per rest

Of course, all fire spells will do double damage, but create a dense 'Fog of Fish Fry' that obscures vision and causes a 20% miss chance.

Vizzini
05-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm very happy to see Sanguin getting incorperated into DDO, since they are essential to the Eberron campaign setting around Xen'drik (Stormreach Area), maybe with this will be getting a little closer to crossing the Thunder Sea, and into Khorvaire ;)

Also, yes I think Horrid Wilting will become a lot more useful once MOD 7 Hits!