PDA

View Full Version : Monks Monks and more Monks..oh my

fatherpirate
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
How many folks are going to jump into test server when monk hits there?
also what templates are you excited to try?

my 2 favorites are the Monk/Rogue and the Monk/Cleric

RazorrX
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I am! IF it hits test server first that is. I plan on trying multiple builds to see what I like, My guild has been warned that I will not be around during that time. :) Hopefully, I can get high enough to go try the new 3 barrel cove area (will go there for sure though, either with monk or another character). I do not have a character over 10 on the test server, so the Raids will be out of the question though (I assume they are high level ones).

Talon_Moonshadow
05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I wont play on Risia.

But I have a few monks planned.

Shuriken thrower. Halfling and/or Drow.
A dex finesse build
WF....prob Str build. PA and Qstaff.
TWF of some sort....gotts see how it works with furry of blows. I think a TWF dual Vorpal Kamas buld could kill very fast. Might mix with Rgr/Ftr if I can figure out a balance.

I want to try some multi-classed builds, but not sure if any would ba advantageous. The TWF option seems the best to me so far.
I'm also curious about a Ftr Monk with Bludgeon feats.

Monks need to be unarmored to get most of their benifits.
Monks need to be using only special monk weps to get most of their benefits.
Not many other classes really benefit from splashing monk IMO.
A Pal monk might get a high AC......
Sor/Monk or Wiz Monk might be cool. Evasion is the best feat in the game IMO. A wiz with Insighful Reflexes feat would be nice.
Maybe some kind of Cleric/Monk if I can get the combo right. I'm a fan of Clr 7 for a battlecleric build.

problem is I already have too many chars. And some combos don't really come together till very high lvl.....I play everyday but don't level up any one toon very fast. I haven't even capped a 32 pt build yet, and I've had them since right after they were available.

tuttman1234
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I probably won't jump on the test server, but I will build a monk or two. I am really looking forward to a monk/rouge.

Holgar
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm wondering about the possibility of a WF Monk, but isn't the base composite plating considered Light Armor? Does that mean WF Monks are not going to ever be able to gain full Monk abilities??

Holgar

Aesop
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
NO test server for me too many characters to level already... but

Paladin3/MonkX

that's my main one

named
Sevas Susej

Aesop

dejafu
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not really up for downloading the test server, but once they hit the game, I plan on making a 2 monk/14 cleric to keep all those other monks alive ;) The prospect of playing a cleric that can actually jump and doesn't need any armor excites me far more than it probably should!

Raiderone
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I play real time. Looking forward to playing the Monk. Anticipate many of them on servers.

Probably female Human Monk. I always like the extra Feat. But I'm not sure.
Will role them up several times, with different races to check overall stats (using 32 build).

dejafu
05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm wondering about the possibility of a WF Monk, but isn't the base composite plating considered Light Armor? Does that mean WF Monks are not going to ever be able to gain full Monk abilities??

Holgar

If they use the rules from Eberron PnP, then regular WF should have no problems becoming monks. Their racial armor only counts as armor for monk abilities if they take either mithral body or adamantine body.

Twerpp
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm just wondering if they are gonna give the monk goodies (wisdom AC, feat, flurry) at 1st level like PnP or make it more level based/enhancement based to keep everyone without armor from being 15x/1monk. Why wouldnt any ranger or rogue be 1 monk? Hell even some casters might wanna take a look at it.

Kalari
05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Im going to wait till its released to the playerbase as well. Not that im against testing monks out id just rather build my own and do the challenge of making her affective without prior knowledge on what they supposedly need. The only thing im trying to decide is whether to play an Elf (since they are my favorite to play) or a human. Considering the skin tone and look I picked for her already it wont matter much but her name is Foxxie so I want her to live up to that, Beauty with the deadly fist lol.

Oxvon
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I have test server installed already so I will probably try that out. Get a couple levels to get an idea of the best build for a monk will be.

I'm thinking about maxing out str, then put the rest into con and wis.

RazorrX
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Monks AC is based on Dex and Wisdom, so you would need to make sure your Dex does not suffer too much. Playing around with various builds to try out with the best mix I am thinking of balancing out Str, Dex, Wis and then giving what is left to Con. But will have to try it out so test server is where I will be when they first hit. :)

fatherpirate
05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Holgar

excellent question !

I would think that base WF (without extra armor feats) should be fine...it is thier natural AC after all, but it is possible
any kind of monk DR might not stack with WF DR...however (guessing) it might just allow one of them, whichever is best type of thing.

geoffhanna
05-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Halfling Monk/Mage !

darthmaul121783
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
i will be already downloaded it and just have to update when mod comes out :)

fatherpirate
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
need a new emote now

kung fu stance
kung fu exercise
break brick with head

lol

Lucian_Navarro
05-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm gonna go triple class...

10 MONK/ 4 MONK/ 2 MONK

Should be unique!

fatherpirate
05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
:-D luv it

Invalid_86
05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Although considering how many of the options available to DnD monks are missing so far, and how far otherwise the Mod 7 monk is looking to stray, it's probably more fair to say that nobody will ba playing monks, just Mortal Kombat wannabes.

I really hope DDO doesn't drop the ball with monks.

fatherpirate
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Monk + Wiz + cold spell enhancements =

Subzero ! MORTAL KOMBAT ! ya, ah huh, ya

Shadowblizmasta
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
A pure Warforged Fist monk.

Whether I focus more on damage or more on AC I haven't decided.