PDA

View Full Version : How to help others find their niche...

Yvonne_Blacksword
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Ever have one of those coworkers, associates...bosses...whatever, that just didn't seem to be happy where they were.

You could tell if you really looked hard enough that they had potential but maybe due to bad blood where they were, a reputation that wouldn't die, outside work issues...something in their past they just couldn't get away from...

And you hated them every day you had to work with them because they made you miserable and you wished to goodness they would just go away...

Not that they were ever truly bad or anything...I mean, they weren't murderers,...or stealing from others...they just had that taint of evil and well.

I am not by any means a people person.

I have been falsely accused of such...but really, I am a xenophobe...I fear others...and well....I put up a good front.

I do seem to have a talent of reading people, maybe it is the sociopath in me but I get inside their heads...and I can almost always predict what is eating a poor performer...

Lets face it! People, as a rule need some basic things.
They need security-the guarantee they will have food shelter comfort for a while to come.
even if that shelter is a mansion, their car or a cardboard box..they need to know they have someplace safe to go to.

when they get that set..they start needing more...well...some of them do.

They start needing things, entertainment, favorite food, respect of others, satisfying work...even if the rest of us do not consider it work.
They need people.w?

well...um...

Some times, bad things happen, your best worker (heck...your worst worker...does it matter) will suddenly do something irretrievable. Something they cant get away from.

Something they will need a change of scenery to recover from. It might take them a while, but eventually they will figure out they need to go.

This is the thing. Just because they aren't working out for you, doesn't mean they won work for anyone. unless they are murderers or thieves...or sociopaths like me...

All they might need is to work in a different department, a different plant, a different station...not necessarily a different employer...you do not have to fire them, make them quit...shoot them...lol...and hopefully, we can all be adult enough to realize that sending them off with the baggage they were previously carrying is not going to help anyone.

I have encouraged many of my problem employees (i call them my kids...always have...) to seek other endeavors, find something they are interested in, something that motivates them.
I have in the past gotten rid of my Dirtbags in some of the most unusual ways by seeming the hero and suggesting they follow their dreams no matter how unrealistic or how impossible they were...I got caught once by an ensign, telling other enlisted that I always suggest my dirt bags go officer...I figure they will fail out...not make it...do something eventually...but hey! It gives them a reason to try something new, possibly with new drive...and new hope...and new chances at success..

Why just the other day, I found out that one of my major thorns had made it into th "O" club and was getting commissioned...
This kid caused me to loose control one day and ...um....do as he asked and shut him up...he never specified when he sail, "Petty Officer "C", why don't you make me shut up!"...I used the most dramatic and quickest and the least suspected method...IO closed of his air...but hey...he asked me to! How was I to know he wasn't serious.

And now look at him...all officer and such. I look forward to our next meeting with trepidation as he is the only officer I have ever laid hand on...really...

Any who...

The point of my story is this.
Just because someone isn't working out, doesn't mean they couldn't work out elsewhere.
If they are not right in your work/guild, maybe they might be better suited in another work/guild.

If one location/server is not suited to them maybe another location/server might be the ticket.

Not every peg fits every hole.

I found in my job/server surfing, that different places had different atmospheres and different expectations..

I now know which server to twink on, and which not to.

I now know there are differences...and how best to use those to make me happy.

This game I would like to keep around. I like to play.
I would like it if we could find it in our hearts to find that those that are not making us happy might be unhappy(...unless no one makes us happy..then it is just us.) as well. They might or we might need a new place to go...

I don't think there is any reason to fire them/make them leave the game..I think this is rash.
Unless they are stealing....or murdering the game...

Can we find a way to make them see that there are other servers they could go to that might make them happy, suggest a little server/guild surfing...without repercussions?

And then help them in making the move that will make us all happier.

Happier in the fact that someone "gets a fresh start"/"gets away from you".
Happier in the fact that we do not loose another potentially excellent player to another game.
Happier in the fact that the game lives on..
Unless...that is not your goal.

Yvonne, the sociopath, has spoken...
It is nice...having my alter ego do all my postings.
:D

PranasP
05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Ever have one of those coworkers, associates...bosses...whatever, that just didn't seem to be happy where they were.

You could tell if you really looked hard enough that they had potential but maybe due to bad blood where they were, a reputation that wouldn't die, outside work issues...something in their past they just couldn't get away from...

And you hated them every day you had to work with them because they made you miserable and you wished to goodness they would just go away...

Not that they were ever truly bad or anything...I mean, they weren't murderers,...or stealing from others...they just had that taint of evil and well.

I am not by any means a people person.

I have been falsely accused of such...but really, I am a xenophobe...I fear others...and well....I put up a good front.

I do seem to have a talent of reading people, maybe it is the sociopath in me but I get inside their heads...and I can almost always predict what is eating a poor performer...

Lets face it! People, as a rule need some basic things.
They need security-the guarantee they will have food shelter comfort for a while to come.
even if that shelter is a mansion, their car or a cardboard box..they need to know they have someplace safe to go to.

when they get that set..they start needing more...well...some of them do.

They start needing things, entertainment, favorite food, respect of others, satisfying work...even if the rest of us do not consider it work.
They need people.w?

well...um...

Some times, bad things happen, your best worker (heck...your worst worker...does it matter) will suddenly do something irretrievable. Something they cant get away from.

Something they will need a change of scenery to recover from. It might take them a while, but eventually they will figure out they need to go.

This is the thing. Just because they aren't working out for you, doesn't mean they won work for anyone. unless they are murderers or thieves...or sociopaths like me...

All they might need is to work in a different department, a different plant, a different station...not necessarily a different employer...you do not have to fire them, make them quit...shoot them...lol...and hopefully, we can all be adult enough to realize that sending them off with the baggage they were previously carrying is not going to help anyone.

I have encouraged many of my problem employees (i call them my kids...always have...) to seek other endeavors, find something they are interested in, something that motivates them.
I have in the past gotten rid of my Dirtbags in some of the most unusual ways by seeming the hero and suggesting they follow their dreams no matter how unrealistic or how impossible they were...I got caught once by an ensign, telling other enlisted that I always suggest my dirt bags go officer...I figure they will fail out...not make it...do something eventually...but hey! It gives them a reason to try something new, possibly with new drive...and new hope...and new chances at success..

Why just the other day, I found out that one of my major thorns had made it into th "O" club and was getting commissioned...
This kid caused me to loose control one day and ...um....do as he asked and shut him up...he never specified when he sail, "Petty Officer "C", why don't you make me shut up!"...I used the most dramatic and quickest and the least suspected method...IO closed of his air...but hey...he asked me to! How was I to know he wasn't serious.

And now look at him...all officer and such. I look forward to our next meeting with trepidation as he is the only officer I have ever laid hand on...really...

Any who...

The point of my story is this.
Just because someone isn't working out, doesn't mean they couldn't work out elsewhere.
If they are not right in your work/guild, maybe they might be better suited in another work/guild.

If one location/server is not suited to them maybe another location/server might be the ticket.

Not every peg fits every hole.

I found in my job/server surfing, that different places had different atmospheres and different expectations..

I now know which server to twink on, and which not to.

I now know there are differences...and how best to use those to make me happy.

This game I would like to keep around. I like to play.
I would like it if we could find it in our hearts to find that those that are not making us happy might be unhappy(...unless no one makes us happy..then it is just us.) as well. They might or we might need a new place to go...

I don't think there is any reason to fire them/make them leave the game..I think this is rash.
Unless they are stealing....or murdering the game...

Can we find a way to make them see that there are other servers they could go to that might make them happy, suggest a little server/guild surfing...without repercussions?

And then help them in making the move that will make us all happier.

Happier in the fact that someone "gets a fresh start"/"gets away from you".
Happier in the fact that we do not loose another potentially excellent player to another game.
Happier in the fact that the game lives on..
Unless...that is not your goal.

Yvonne, the sociopath, has spoken...
It is nice...having my alter ego do all my postings.
:D

QFT.

BTW. Never had to do it here. But I do have an EvilManicCloneTwin thats has spoken in the past!