PDA

View Full Version : Make death really fun

Allgee
04-27-2008, 08:04 PM
How about every time you die, the computer rolls a D20. if if rolls a 1, all your unbound equipment gets destroyed. If they gave us a couple of extra bank slots so we could store equipment i would love the risk element. A great way to make people bind stuff and take it out of the economy.

DelScorcho
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Nothing to prevent you from destroying your own equipment if you die.

/not signed

Lorien_the_First_One
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
How about every time you die, the computer rolls a D20. if if rolls a 1, all your unbound equipment gets destroyed. If they gave us a couple of extra bank slots so we could store equipment i would love the risk element. A great way to make people bind stuff and take it out of the economy.

feel free to self impose that. For the rest of us no, it doesn't even make sense.

krud
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
play permadeath!

sirgog
04-28-2008, 02:15 AM
play permadeath!

/signed.

IgorUnchained
04-28-2008, 02:27 AM
play permadeath!
/signed

GlassCannon
04-28-2008, 02:36 AM
feel free to self impose that. For the rest of us no, it doesn't even make sense.

Echoed.

Play permadeath.

Leave the rest of us alone. We're coping with the latest travesty to occur on death. Quest tax.

I'd rather NOTHING take ANY damage when you die, and no negative levels appear, but hey... the Devs don't like the game to be fun, they want to impose grinds on it.

Allgee
04-28-2008, 02:40 AM
death is still too cheap. Permadeath is too final. What this would do would take items out of the economy, making stuff i put on auction worth more. Incouraging more people to bind items is good for the economy. Win win all around.

sirgog
04-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Echoed.

Play permadeath.

Leave the rest of us alone. We're coping with the latest travesty to occur on death. Quest tax.

Due to the insane amounts of plat in the economy, there is no death penalty at all save the negative levels and the threat of all of your gear dropping to 0 durability while you are in a quest now.

This makes players much more reckless than they were when there was a relevant death penalty (i.e. pre Mod 6, for toons not at the level cap)

GlassCannon
04-28-2008, 02:51 AM
ya wusses, death is still too cheap. Permadeath is too final. What this would do would take items out of the economy, making stuff i put on auction worth more. Incouraging more people to bind items is good for the economy. Only plat farmers win this scenario, as people will flock to their sites to replace their hard earned gear, sought after for several years solid

Actually this thread's purpose seems to be to attempt to obliterate our reason for playing DDO in the first place. You must utterly loathe most of DDO's population. As for the Auction House, the thing is a bloated diseased hog, wailing in its infectious bile to be slain. It is a joke and should not be taken seriously.

Corrected text in green, or yellow, or whatever color that is.

Allgee
04-28-2008, 03:00 AM
Actually this thread's purpose seems to be to attempt to obliterate our reason for playing DDO in the first place. You must utterly loathe most of DDO's population. As for the Auction House, the thing is a bloated diseased hog, wailing in its infectious bile to be slain. It is a joke and should not be taken seriously.

Corrected text in green, or yellow, or whatever color that is.

As if anyone would be stupid enough to go to plat farmers site, and buy plat. Im sitting on 4 million plat, after selling all the ingrediants and junk my mules carry. The game is too easy. It needs more of a challenge not to die too often, and to encourage people not to carry their entire armory on every quest.

GlassCannon
04-28-2008, 04:34 AM
[I vehemently don't agree with your proposal]

Edit: I and many others do not consider my precious things being destroyed when lag hits in any way 'fun'.

FluffyCalico
04-28-2008, 04:39 AM
As if anyone would be stupid enough to go to plat farmers site, and buy plat. Im sitting on 4 million plat, after selling all the ingrediants and junk my mules carry. The game is too easy. It needs more of a challenge not to die too often, and to encourage people not to carry their entire armory on every quest.

Then if you really want to help out go the the harbor and give every toon you see a stack of 100 Cure mod potions until broke. Then you can have a chalenge of being poor that you want and help people out and give DDO a good name.

Tous
04-28-2008, 08:01 AM
play permadeath!

/signed

Aspenor
04-28-2008, 08:03 AM
and I thought this was going to be a thread about changing the death penalty to a game of pin the tail on the donkey

llevenbaxx
04-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I always liked the games where when you die, the game lets you and everyone within a quarter mile know about it. Over enphasised death screams, splatter sounds, bone crunches... whatever is appropriate for the deathblow type. Something that adds that say you just totally got ****in killed in the extreme as opposed to you are dead. Deaths should be a little more epic.:) Jus my 2cp.

ahpook
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
While the current death penalty may still be weak (Sorry GC if you find it other wise) the proposal would alienate too many players.

It might be interesting to apply a penalty like this BUT only to Elite. Instead of just upping the numbers on the mobs (taking HPx3, Saves+10, etc) to make an elite level quest actually change the rules of the game to make it more challenging. Leave the mobs the same (or closer) but up the penalties for failure instead. So as an Elite penalty only it could be interesting.

[nom nom nom]

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I wanna do emotes when I am dead

/poke the rez'er
/taunt the thing that killed me
/dance with my soulstone...

I feel limited in death.

give me death emotes...

/faint---(dead) character falls with a gasp.
/dramatic end---(dead) character stumbles around clutching heart and falls down several times before lying re****lly
/boo---(dead) characrer makes scary wraith sounds
/mourn---(dead) character shakes head and cries.
/banghead---(dead) character bangs head agains ground

Hambo
04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I always liked the games where when you die, the game lets you and everyone within a quarter mile know about it. Over enphasised death screams, splatter sounds, bone crunches... whatever is appropriate for the deathblow type. Something that adds that say you just totally got ****in killed in the extreme as opposed to you are dead. Deaths should be a little more epic.:) Jus my 2cp.

When I started reading the thread I thought it would be a request for "random" death animations, such as rolling a 1 on a d20 producing an animation of drunkenly staggering about, one hand clutching at your heart and the other outstretched before keeling over. :D:D:D

[EDIT] Darn!!! should've read the entire thread before posting!

Laith
04-28-2008, 12:59 PM
I wanna do emotes when I am dead
to be honest, i was expecting this to be a "let us emote while dead" thread.

you can rest assured that i'd be ghost-humping the ressers every time :p

---

at the end of the day, the standard MMO can't have a working economy.
MMOs are generally build around the concept that wealth pops up out of nowhere.

it's almost like every player spends all their time printing their own counterfit money, and no one cares.

dragonoffrost
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
to be honest, i was expecting this to be a "let us emote while dead" thread.

you can rest assured that i'd be ghost-humping the ressers every time :p

That's it no more raises from any of my characters.... for you!

Snoggy
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
ya wusses, death is still too cheap. Permadeath is too final.

IRONY FTW!

RavenStormclaw
04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Glass that is simply uncalled for. Nothing in her posts is report worthy. You don't like a suggestion just move on. I hate death. I hate having my items broken. I like this idea for the simple fact that death is to easy on us. Since the xp penalty for death has been erased I have seen a 10 fold increase in zerging and poor play. The art of teamwork is dying except for a rare few exceptions. Most people who have been here a while have so much plat that the repair bill wails are simply silly. Now do I advocate breaking everything....no I do not. However, there needs to be some penalty for death greater then what we have. You want to talk about playing solo...it seems lately I do that on every quest I go on even with a full party. Teamwork is dying in this game. Something needs to be done. As its stands now the Permadeathers seem to be the only ones still adept at the art and science of teamwork (guild only runs excluded as well as I can't comment on them ) referring to PUG"S only.

The_Mighty_Cube
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
*the Cube slides into threat range* not agreeing with someone is not a license to flame. Chose your next words carefully, for my gelatinous tummy is rumbly for bad posts...

TheGreatEye
04-29-2008, 12:22 AM

It would be nice to have an extended death emote, perhaps one that allowed you to stumble out into the market place (when Mr. Burns was shot on the simpsons comes to mind). DDO needs more drama.;)

redoubt
04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
death is still too cheap. Permadeath is too final. What this would do would take items out of the economy, making stuff i put on auction worth more. Incouraging more people to bind items is good for the economy. Win win all around.

First the sorcerer thing and now this... are you trying to upset people? :mad:

And, no. It is not win win... its you trying to make people play the way you want.

Elsbet
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM

Highlighted the telling part of that statement...

Great. Just what we need--the economy even more out of whack than it already is. +1 Vorpal Longsword of Greater Ooze Bane... Ten million plat. That's the perfect solution.

One could always make up XP, so the xp debt did nothing to deter zerging. I find people are less likely to zerg around now that they risk a hefty repair bill. I hear that complaint more than any other after a quest.

The only thing encouraging people to bind more items does is increase the demand for Khyber dragon shards, which apparently you sell at outrageous prices on the AH along with many others. Again, throwing the economy more out of whack and encouraging plat farmers to over-inflate the price of items to create demand for their services. That in turn pumps more money into the economy making people willing to pay even more over-inflated prices for mediocre items and cheap stones. Which in turn encourages plat farmers to ...

What a loverly vicious little cycle.

Besides, making it necessary to bind items to prevent having them destroyed makes it very difficult to help out guildies and new players by handing down equipment that has been outgrown. That doesn't do much to encourage new players to stick around.

Congratulations. You have a lot of plat. That apparently enhances the game for you, so I'm glad you can acheive that. Some of us, however, play to have fun, not get virtually rich. You're welcome to destroy your own stuff. Leave mine alone please and thank you.

Allgee
04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
First the sorcerer thing and now this... are you trying to upset people? :mad:

And, no. It is not win win... its you trying to make people play the way you want.

Im very sorry, i should have asked for more chests in every quest to please the masses.

Cholera
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
While I enjoy the lack of xp loss upon death, I do think it was an effective death penalty. That being said, I also agree with the current death penalty – both so much so that though it may be annoying at times, both the former system and the current system together would produce the effect of making players cautious.

With that said, I would change one thing about the newer system. Rather than all equipped items taking damage, just the armour should and perhaps one other random piece of equipment as well. The damage should also render the armour (or robe) useless until repaired. Yet before this sort of thing was considered, they MUST add teleport and mass-teleport destinations for Meridia.

Additionally, it is a bit of a digression but I would suggest the addition of proper blacksmiths, tailors and other NPC professionals. It may be convenient but it is utterly ridiculous that every NPC and their dog are able to repair not just standard weapons and armour but the magic variety.

likuei
04-29-2008, 10:44 AM
There is no fear of dying anymore. To bring back that sense of dread when you died before, keep gear damage for low levels, 1 - 10. For levels 10 and up, keep gear damage and bring back xp debt (non-healable over time) for levels 10 and up. I believe this to be a good compromise. You aren't driven away because its only money in the low levels, and it encourages better play instead of what we have right now. If implemented, long time players will adapt (it was that way before) and newer players will be encouraged to learn more.

Strakeln
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
death is still too cheap. Permadeath is too final. What this would do would take items out of the economy, making stuff i put on auction worth more. Incouraging more people to bind items is good for the economy. Win win all around.Like everyone else said, why impose changes on the rest of us, when you can easily do it all by yourself?

Memnir
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Make it an optional click-box in the UI (default off), and I say go for it.
You want the game to be harder & rougher on you, then you have every right to click it and enjoy. I won't nay-say what you want to make the game more interesting/challenging/motivating for you. All I would ask is the same respect in return when we don't see eye to eye.

Uproar
04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Make it an optional click-box in the UI (default off)

Make it on the entrance to the dungeon for a 10-15% bonus xp... that will promote teamwork more.

JacknCoke
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
This goes beyond a no into the realm of hell no!

JFeenstra
04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
One could always make up XP, so the xp debt did nothing to deter zerging. I find people are less likely to zerg around now that they risk a hefty repair bill. I hear that complaint more than any other after a quest.actually the lack of xp debt means poor players level a lot faster instead of having to learn to play their characters, i've seen many occasions where people will be dead half the quest (from multiple deaths) and due to the fact that there's no xp debt, they'll still level up and then continue to do harder quests, die more, level more, and still never learn their characters

either way, the death penalty has little to no effect on power gamers/capped players (aside from the temp neg level which is just annoying temporarily, especially after multiple deaths)

my suggestion would be to bring back xp debt in addition to what we've already got for a death penalty...it would stop terrible players from leveling as fast and still take plat out of the economy due to repair costs from dying

death should be painful...really painful...