PDA

View Full Version : In keeping with Ebberon Lore re: Clerics

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
What would people think of instead of traditional Domains for Clerics, DDO went with abilities based off of the deities of the Sovereign Host.

There are 9 gods of the Sovereign Host and as such they could choose to use all or some of these Gods and make specially tailored Domains based on them?

Just a thought.

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
What would people think of instead of traditional Domains for Clerics, DDO went with abilities based off of the deities of the Sovereign Host.

There are 9 gods of the Sovereign Host and as such they could choose to use all or some of these Gods and make specially tailored Domains based on them?

Just a thought.

I think I need more Ebberon background. 9 gods of the SH? I thought SH was considered a deity itself and not a pantheon location?

*casts summon loremaster with hopes of either a link or explanation*

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
The 9 gods are:

Arawai, God of Agriculture
Aureon, God of Law and Knowledge
Balinor, God of Beasts and the Hunt
Boldrei, God of Community and Hearth
Dol Arrah, God of Honor and Sacrifice
Dol Dorn, God of Strength at Arms
Kol Korran, God of Trade and Wealth
Olladra, God of Feast and Good Fortune
and
Onatar, God of Artifice and the Forge

Each has different Domains attached and different favored weapons. It is in fact a Pantheon of Gods (and Goddesses)

Vorn
04-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Bah, Sovereign Host...My Cleric wants something related to Vol!!!
;)

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Bah, Sovereign Host...My Cleric wants something related to Vol!!!
;)

Back away with your lust for the Mark of Death. There is a reason your house was destroyed and the last survivor turned to a lich. :)

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Back away with your lust for the Mark of Death. There is a reason your house was destroyed and the last survivor turned to a lich. :)

Ok.. so if the SH is a pantheon, what is Vol, lord of blades, etc. then? Figures of history given deific status? As I don't know Ebberon, I always assumed they were the major deities of the world. Obviously, I'm lacking religious knowledge here. Not my fault that isn't a skill to roll a check on any more. ;)

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Ok.. so if the SH is a pantheon, what is Vol, lord of blades, etc. then? Figures of history given deific status? As I don't know Ebberon, I always assumed they were the major deities of the world. Obviously, I'm lacking religious knowledge here. Not my fault that isn't a skill to roll a check on any more. ;)

Lady Vol is the last surviving (and I use that term loosely) member of House Vol with the Dragonmark of Death. (The 13th Dragonmark) although when she was turned into a lich, it made the mark unusable.

The Lord of Blades is a "Warforged Visionary" attempting to establish a nation in the Mournlands. There is much debate about him and some look to him as a messiah type figure, while other WF think he needs to be destroyed. There is rumor he was the last Warforged to make it out of the original Creation Forges.

Deities in Eberron are not like typical Deities in other D&D worlds.

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Lady Vol is the last surviving (and I use that term loosely) member of House Vol with the Dragonmark of Death. (The 13th Dragonmark) although when she was turned into a lich, it made the mark unusable.

The Lord of Blades is a "Warforged Visionary" attempting to establish a nation in the Mournlands. There is much debate about him and some look to him as a messiah type figure, while other WF think he needs to be destroyed. There is rumor he was the last Warforged to make it out of the original Creation Forges.

Deities in Eberron are not like typical Deities in other D&D worlds.

This post's bases is what I thought Eberron was like as far as dieties went. No 'true' gods as it were. But within DDO we have the religious lines that follow these beings. Hence why when you split up SH, I was all confused (and still am to a degree). Because of such I really still haven't a clue how to take your suggestion as far as game development/reaching ideas go.

Aren't the ablities via enhancments for religion already good enough for what you are asking or are you wanting something specific? (ala domains, and if that is the case, give sorcs the correct number of spells while you are at it.)

liamfrancais
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I like the idea following the tenets of one god over the others thusly increasing that particular ability would be great. I believe there may some of this in play with certain feats but can't remember the names. I may also be good for a favor of the gods enhanced ability system ie. use your healing arts to heal 100, 250, 500 etc. others and as you reach the milestones abilities increase, just a thought. Overall I like the idea in fact something like that may get me to play my cleric more often.

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
This post's bases is what I thought Eberron was like as far as dieties went. No 'true' gods as it were. But within DDO we have the religious lines that follow these beings. Hence why when you split up SH, I was all confused (and still am to a degree). Because of such I really still haven't a clue how to take your suggestion as far as game development/reaching ideas go.

Aren't the ablities via enhancments for religion already good enough for what you are asking or are you wanting something specific? (ala domains, and if that is the case, give sorcs the correct number of spells while you are at it.)

True Domains will never make it into the game. They are entirely too powerful, and too dificult to code at the same time.

Seriously every cleric out there would take fire domain (firewall BOOYA) and the other one would be up for a choice....

Instead I would like something completely new and inspired by Ebberon from Turbine for Domains.

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
True Domains will never make it into the game. They are entirely too powerful, and too dificult to code at the same time.

Seriously every cleric out there would take fire domain (firewall BOOYA) and the other one would be up for a choice....

Instead I would like something completely new and inspired by Ebberon from Turbine for Domains.

Ok, I am agreeable to that. Sorry about being a pain asking so many questions.

Vorn
04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I would like a broader selection of enhancements for dieties as well. Perhaps tier one, as an example, could be Sovereign Host and a second tier could be Dol Arrah? Since alignments are pretty loose wrt dieties/pantheon in Eberron, even for Lady Vol, it might be fun to have additional choices available to Clerics.

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Ok, I am agreeable to that. Sorry about being a pain asking so many questions.

I LOVE lore related questions, while I am no Mystic Theurge (the poster that is) I know a bit about Eberron.

Cowdenicus
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I would like a broader selection of enhancements for dieties as well. Perhaps tier one, as an example, could be Sovereign Host and a second tier could be Dol Arrah? Since alignments are pretty loose wrt dieties/pantheon in Eberron, even for Lady Vol, it might be fun to have additional choices available to Clerics.

Instead of a faith line like we have currently, I was thinking something Domainish, a bit more powerful, and not costing AP.

Vorn
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Instead of a faith line like we have currently, I was thinking something Domainish, a bit more powerful, and not costing AP.

I know, I was just trying to think about an easy way to implement it and I, perhaps as a minority, like the enhancement way of implementing these types of customizations. Easy to change out if you don't like it, already exists as a 'way of doing business' in the game, ...just seems simple to me and I am a simple person.:p

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 10:53 AM

A favor reward, where rewards are based on class/es?

honkuimushi
04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
If domain spells are a 1/ day clickie, I don't think they would be overpowered. So a cleric takes the fire domain, he gets 1 firewall / rest. I don't see that as a major problem. But I'm all in favor for more diety specific abilities. My Fighter/ Cleric is juat waiting for a gift from the Traveler. The Spirits of the Past don't get any respect either.

Missing_Minds
04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
If domain spells are a 1/ day clickie, I don't think they would be overpowered. So a cleric takes the fire domain, he gets 1 firewall / rest. I don't see that as a major problem. But I'm all in favor for more diety specific abilities. My Fighter/ Cleric is juat waiting for a gift from the Traveler. The Spirits of the Past don't get any respect either.

I don't think you'll get much help from Gozer the Gozerian when in Eberron. ;)

Twerpp
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM

BOOOO YOU COW!!! CLERIC DOMAINS FTW!!!! :D :D :D

Too powerful feh. Access to a couple arcane spells? A plus one to-hit bonus with deity weapon? A toughness feat? Pah. Overpowered my bootay. A trifle compared to the already present monty haul.

Zuldar
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Sure a cleric with the fire domain could cast firewall, but it wouldn't be as powerful as a wizard or sorceror. After all, clerics don't have the enhancements to improve it like they do. Besides what cleric in their right mind would cast firewall, when they could cast a much more powerful blade barrier.

Vormaerin
04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Sure a cleric with the fire domain could cast firewall, but it wouldn't be as powerful as a wizard or sorceror. After all, clerics don't have the enhancements to improve it like they do. Besides what cleric in their right mind would cast firewall, when they could cast a much more powerful blade barrier.

Uhh, clerics that are not yet lvl 11? Or clerics that want to hit archers on ledges. Besides, the Fire and Water domain choices would give Burning Hands, Wall of Fire, Fire Shield, Fire Storm, Incendiary Cloud, Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Acid Fog, and Horrid Wilting. Yeah, they wouldn't have the fire and Acid lineage enhancements, but they'd still have Empower/Maximize and the Potency/Arcane Lore items.

Hvymetal
04-23-2008, 05:03 AM

I could get behind this 100%

Side note: The Lord Of The Blades is not a diety, he is a prophet, those that believe in the Lord Of The Blades divinity are heritics and deserve to be rendered no longer functional!!! He is a prophet of The Becoming God, that is all :D

Ghoste
04-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Sounds interesting. But if my cleric were suddenly limited to only following the sovereign host, he would find himself with no other option than to commit suicide.

samho
04-23-2008, 05:29 AM
I could get behind this 100%

Side note: The Lord Of The Blades is not a diety, he is a prophet, those that believe in the Lord Of The Blades divinity are heritics and deserve to be rendered no longer functional!!! He is a prophet of The Becoming God, that is all :D

From what I've understood, The Lord of the Blades is also been considering as a deity. While the Becoming God is Neutral alignment, the Lord of the blades belong to Lawful Evil, and I do believe that they have very different religious principles. (ref to Faith of Eberron)

Hvymetal
04-23-2008, 05:50 AM
From what I've understood, The Lord of the Blades is also been considering as a deity. While the Becoming God is Neutral alignment, the Lord of the blades belong to Lawful Evil, and I do believe that they have very different religious principles. (ref to Faith of Eberron)

Meh, that's just heretical non-sense made up by the unfaithful ;)

Aesop
04-23-2008, 06:01 AM
hey I'm down with that as long as you include the Dark 6 and the Silver Flame in there too.... and the Blood of Vol

Aesop

Cowdenicus
04-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Sounds interesting. But if my cleric were suddenly limited to only following the sovereign host, he would find himself with no other option than to commit suicide.

Well there are many options with the rich lore of Eberron. Unfortunatly Turbine has really not even scratched the surface of the lore of this setting as of yet. Instead we are running on tangents such as planar alignments and a certain lich.

My hope is to see more lore come out in the future.

Tin_Dragon
04-23-2008, 10:08 AM

But the Mark of Death HAS resurfaced, on an elf child!

I agree that Turbine is too slow with actual Eberron Lore. There are so many nice story lines inplace, and Turbine touches none of them, we cant even get all the houses in the game. Instead of useing House D for crafting, or even core rules, we are forced to farm demons to make items based on what system?

Primalhowl
04-23-2008, 05:41 PM
On topic...

We have representations for the worship of a handful of these as enhancements. I actially would love to see 1AP enhancements that build off of these current enhancements in the manner Cow suggests. Or perhaps even a choice given at the time you select the current enhancement. For example, you could take Follower of the Sovereign Host: Dol Arrah

For background...

On Eberron there are three types of "gods" (based on what I can recall from FoE and the other Eberrony goodness in the PnP books):

1. Those who have never actually been seen and are just "forces" given personification. This encompases the entire Sovereign Host (including the dark 6), the Becoming God, Vulkoor (who is just a part of the dark 6), and the Dragon Below. No-one has ever actually seen or met these dieties. (Granted, often the Daelkyr are worshiped as the prophets of the Dragon Below, which does sort of put them into category 3 as well...)

2. Those who are "mortals" with a pantheon of worshipers. Examples are Vol (worshiped by the Blood of Vol), the Lord of Blades (worshiped by warforged in the Mornlands), and the Abbot in our own silly corner of the Eberron universe would have fallen into this category.

3. "Immortals" who have left an incarnation in Eberron. There is exactly one of these. The Silver Flame, as represented by the child Jaela who guides the Church.

Finally...

But the Mark of Death HAS resurfaced, on an elf child!

Unfortunately, the novels set in Eberron have been declared by WOTC as being non-canon... Hellcow himself has said take it or leave it with respect to the events of the novels.

And yes, I am a geek. I have read them all.

Turial
04-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Seems like a nice boost to the clerical class that fits with the game world. Given the gods and goddesses that are present, including the dark 6, Vol, and Lord of Blades, what types of powers/abilities would they likely give?