PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph

Vyctor
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I mentioned this in the Ask the Dev thread, but I wanted to start a thread all of its own. Is there any plans for the polymorph spells to make their way to DDO? Do people in general want them? I know I for one do.

Talon_Moonshadow
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I want them....but in practice, with the limitations we have.....they will not be really any better then spells we already have, nor fill another niche.

But turning something into a harmless toad (that is still trying to attack you) would be awesome IMO!
(then charm an army of them!)

Memnir
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd like us to get Baleful Polymorph, personally.

Invalid_86
04-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd like us to get Baleful Polymorph, personally.

I suspect that if we were to get any polymorph spell that would be the one. The rest are too reliant on having a real DM around.

Strumpoo
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I want polymorph self!

Then I could change myself into a Troll that has a base +50 to hit!

Triple Jump FTW!! :eek::D

Dimicron
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Any polymorph spell is a stepping stone to adding druids(since Wild Shape is fun!). Therefore I'm in favor of adding any polymorph spell :)

ShadesofGreen
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
My understanding, from way back - like two years or so, is that with the real-time combat there is a difficulty with the quick change of shape.

Unlike other games, where you just swing away, we have a real system that actually calculates a missed swing based on your body type/size. So then factor in magic-users casting polymorph on opponents while druids change into bears and shifters alter their sizes, etc etc.

Its a big problem, which is why we currently don't have Polymorph, Shrink, Enlarge, Druids, Changelings, or even more than one size of warforged.

But other than all that, yeah I'm all for it!!!

GlassCannon
04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I want polymorph self!

Then I could change myself into a Troll that has a base +50 to hit!

Triple Jump FTW!! :eek::D

and 90 STR... the only penalty is that you lose 3 STR for every 1 STR damage you incur...

GlassCannon
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Due to the level of technology required to emulate a Human Brain, DDO will likely not be capable of True Polymorph for at least 22 years(Computers are advancing at blinding speeds). Emulation of a Polymorph system will be extremely difficult, time-consuming, expensive and buggy. I expect for some time into the Morph system that the clients will crash frequently in QA until they get some recognition systems perfected...
Then, there is the in-game AI. Recognition and recalculation systems would need to be implemented for instant Friend or Foe recalculation during and after a Morph. We don't want a Hobgoblin mindlessly chasing another Hobgoblin(PC, Incognito) through a dungeon trying to kill it. That breaks Immersion.

Delacroix21
04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Not trying to be a pain, but if polymorphs are implemented I have a strong feeling that they will be incredibly weak and useless. Much like the current monster summons, whose challenge ratings are FAR below monsters of the level you relieve the spell at. =(

Dracorat
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
The Polymorph spell is perhaps the largest Pandora's Box of the core game.

I wouldn't expect much movement here on it.

Elfboy
04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
They need druids before puttin 'morphs in game.
For that matter put half orc and elf, and gnomes in too! This game just isn't "core rules" enough!.

Vyctor
04-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Polymorph is a core spell. Polymorph mechanics work a lot like a very important druid ability in Wild Shape.

MysticTheurge
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Polymorph is a core spell. Polymorph mechanics work a lot like a very important druid ability in Wild Shape.

And they'll probably show up around the same time.

Which is "not any time soon."