PDA

View Full Version : Normax the Soulguardian (a build by request)

sigtrent
04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
This build is from Sigtrent's build request thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232)

Requested By: Vance71975

Introduction
This character started back in the level 16 cap days but has stood up very well for me as he's leveled up. I've been playing him again as of late and am really happy with how he performs.

The basic idea is to make a tough but very versatile tank who can run with evasion at a fairly small ac cost and which has strong enough UMD to take care of his needs when running solo and possibly help out his party members if they run into hard straights. He can also switch to a reasonable DPS modality when tanking just isn't needed.

At low levels its a great all purpose character with enough punch to quickly drop mobs, enough ac potential to be near un-hittable in most quests and can self heal with wands due to the paladin levels. He can even do some traps in early quests with a good set of tools. Mid game the tanking is more specialized and the build clearly switches roles depending on the quest and party make up. Many don't care for cleave and great-cleave but I've found they are very strong at low-mid levels with sword and shield. I don't care for them two handed but in tank mode they give you a nice supplementary agro mechanic and they increase DPS when fighting a crowd, which you often do. With good timing they can be just as fast, and sometimes faster than regular swing animations (again this doesn't apply two handed where the cleave animations are slower for some reason). Drop them if you like for WF and WS but try them out if you never have before.

AC and Intim potential are perfectly decent and blocking DR is pretty reasonable as well. You can tweak the build a bit to fit whatever armor you have. The desire to go in light armor is the reason for the higher than normal dex on a shield tank. I also added in improved shield bash on the notion that it will get some love soon (as of this update). He's a little shy of a 3rd tier defender, but not so much that it should matter if you gear up well. Saves are better than a pure or 18 fighter, and DPS is better than most defense specced paladins. That doesn't make this a true DPS character, its a defender, but it has that option and it means it has some hope of working as a hate tank or intim.

I wouldn't claim this is a top of the line build, but its got no real weaknesses and can do a lot of things quite well. I can testify that at mid levels, if feels a bit like a superhero build, able to stride into any quest and make quick work of it without any real danger of dying.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.7.2
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
(12 Fighter \ 6 Paladin \ 2 Rogue)
Hit Points: 386
Spell Points: 25
BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
Fortitude: 21
Reflex: 16
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 25
Dexterity 14 17
Constitution 15 18
Intelligence 13 15
Wisdom 8 10
Charisma 12 15

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 6 15
Bluff 1 2
Concentration 2 4
Diplomacy 1 2
Disable Device 5 6
Haggle 1 2
Heal -1 0
Hide 2 3
Intimidate 5 38
Jump 7 11
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 2 3
Open Lock 6 19
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 1 2
Search 5 8
Spot 3 4
Swim 3 7
Tumble 6 7
Use Magic Device 5 25

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate I

Level 2 (Fighter)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave
Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 4 (Paladin)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

Level 5 (Paladin)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I

Level 6 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+3)
Skill: Open Lock (+5)
Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 7 (Fighter)
Skill: Open Lock (+0.5)
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage II

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Tower Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate II

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Bullheaded
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Stalwart Defender I

Level 11 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Intimidate
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II

Level 13 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery II

Level 14 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Tower Shield Mastery II

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I

Level 16 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost III
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate III

Level 17 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Bash
Enhancement: Fighter Stalwart Defender II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness III

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate IV

Level 19 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I

Level 20 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I

sigtrent
04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
After looking over the other intimi-tanks...

Made a small update to change out Improved shield Mastery for Skill Focus Intimidate.

I was hoping to lure in some of our resident Intimi-Tank experts to weigh in on this build. I think it is fairly competative with some of the others. It most resembles Borror's tank and less so Riots. Here is how I think it compares.

The good
Strong UMD: I can throw heals and raise dead easily, scroll GH (although you have to strip for it :P), blur wands, shield wands etc.
Option for Evasion: It isn't the standard set up but if you need it you can easily drop 3 AC for it
Open Locks: Handy if not the worlds greatest tank feature.
Sneak Attack: Not a big + when normaly being a tank but with cleave its nice for grabbing agro and good for a bit of extra damage on held monsters and such

The bad
AC is about a point or two lower, although I'm not certain since items and buffs varry a bit.
Intimidate is definately wanting by a few points. Looks like I'm 3-5 points shy of auto intimidate on the elite bosses, although I could trade some HP for more via fighter intimidate.

The Ugly
Offense is a mixed bag between the builds. Each has some nice points.
I think Riot does shield bashing and neither this nor Borror's does.
Traps at early levels, fun but ultimately not important.

Bravehart
05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the great build, Sigtrent! I have a few questions though. It seems that, although you said it was a 28 point build, it's really a 32 pointer. I tried building it with 28 points but I had no more points for charisma. So, I lowered con to 13 and upped char to 10. It hurts, but I don't know if it'll do any serious damage to the build. At least with the Character Planner, everything seemed to check out okay. Question number two: Why did you say evasion is optional? Forgive my noobness, but doesn't evasion come naturally at level 12 in the build, when you take your third level of rogue? Thanks for taking the time to build it, and I look forward to hearing your answers.

sigtrent
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the great build, Sigtrent! I have a few questions though. It seems that, although you said it was a 28 point build, it's really a 32 pointer. I tried building it with 28 points but I had no more points for charisma. So, I lowered con to 13 and upped char to 10. It hurts, but I don't know if it'll do any serious damage to the build. At least with the Character Planner, everything seemed to check out okay. Question number two: Why did you say evasion is optional? Forgive my noobness, but doesn't evasion come naturally at level 12 in the build, when you take your third level of rogue? Thanks for taking the time to build it, and I look forward to hearing your answers.

Thanks for catching the build points. It is a 32 pt build but it will work as 28pts with the adjustments you made without any serious problems.

Actualy you get evasion when you take Rogue level 2 (character level 9). The reason I describe it as an option is that it doesn't work when you are wearing heavy armor so you need to sacrifice a bit of armor class if you want to have evasion active. In some quests that is probably well worth while, but in others evasion isn't especialy usefull so I would change armor depending on the quest.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bravehart
05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I built that char just yesterday, and before I gave him an int tome wanted to make sure I had it all right. Thanks again!
BTW, I love your request a build, get a build thread, keep up the good work!

Tourette
05-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Sigtrent:

Love this build - have it to 15th - blast to play. How do you see it fleshing out up to 20th?

Thanks

EKKM
05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Surprised not to see the defender PrE in there for level 6 fighter. Any plans to take defender II at level 18 (I assume 12 fighter at that point).

Shade
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM
The Cleave feats seem the best offensive set for a tanking character as they are great for pulling agro but also a nice way to boost overall dps.

lol. Sigtrent always brought humour to this forum. He always cracks me up with these rediculous builds that make no sense.

Cleave to improve dps? lol. An ability that takes roughly 6 swings to cast is actually the complete oposite.. A large drop in dps. A way to get agro perhaps, but in reality it's attack range is barely more then a glancing blow, so 2 glancing blows does the trick faster.

Too bad he hasn't posted in quite a while, hopefully he comes back to post some more funny builds for mod9.

Shade
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Sigtrent:

Love this build - have it to 15th - blast to play. How do you see it fleshing out up to 20th?

Thanks

He hasn't been on the forum in nearly a year man..

And sorry but this build is heavily outdated and not worth bringing to 20 imo.

It's what I call a uselss carrying along build, doesn't contribute.

The real tanks these days are the monk splashs, far superior AC.

sigtrent
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Decided to remove my bickering with Shade :)

But I'll just say it remains a very good build if you want a really well rounded tank type character.
It does need updating however.

sigtrent
03-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Just updated this one as I was leveling him up. I really like the character and I think anyone wanting a tank but also wanting to play outside that roll will enjoy it.

Arlathen
03-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Race: Drop the Dwarf and go Half-Elf. HP is not a problem and the racial +1 to Str/Dex/Cha as required is exteremely useful. Dual intimidate timers are fantastic - if your tanking trash you can collect up two lots of mobs at once and smash em to bits with your TWF. Raid boss tanking? Dual Intimidate timers to keep the Boss locked and not spin at the end of each 6 second timer. Dwarf Axe + Enhancements is nice, Khopesh is just as nice.

Drop Cleave & great Cleave. There just not needed for aggro grabbing when you have dual Intim timers and Quickdraw.

Although my intial build is going Stalwart 2 (the additional standing AC and +4 Intim is very useful), I'm considering a pure TWF based build that is Kensai 2/Defender of Syb 1 instead. Can dual Threat/Intim tank while outputting decent Khopesh based DPS.

Just my 2p worth.