PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Love.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Can rogues get an on/off switch for sneak attack?

I think this has been suggested before, but I dont think much came of it.
This suggestion is born from a conversation I had with a friend who plays a rogue.

My friend is a favor *****, plain and simple. Hes maxed, except for a few quests.

He stopped playing his rogue a few weeks after MOD6 came out...even though it is his favourite character.

The problem he has is sneak attack. With mobs running around The Vale having a bajillion HP's, most tanks
use either banishing or vorpals. Which means they kill when the effect goes off, but they do little damage.

Well, thats not the case with him. He uses vorpals, he uses banishers, but his sneak attack still does a lotta damage.
What this means is he gains a lot of aggro. Which means he dies. Five devils attacking no one but the lil ole rogue
is quite a sight.

Shouldnt a rogue be able to decide if he wants that extra damage?

I dont play a rogue but I feel for my guildie.

ChildrenofBodom
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
No.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
No.

'Fair nuff.

ChildrenofBodom
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
'Fair nuff.

'Fair?

Beherit_Baphomar
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
'Fair?

'Fair!

Borror0
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Shouldnt a rogue be able to decide if he wants that extra damage?

Yes, he should.

Coldin
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Eh, I'd never turn off sneak attack damage. Kinda like how I'd never turn off Subtle Backstabbing. I don't really support the idea, but as long as the default was to have sneak attack damage on, I suppose they could implement it.

But really, giving rogues the option to turn off sneak attack damage is not "Rogue Love".

Beherit_Baphomar
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
But really, giving rogues the option to turn off sneak attack damage is not "Rogue Love".

So options to switch your playstyle due to circumstances isn't helpful to your class? Gotcha...

Vahyor
04-17-2008, 12:38 PM
No.

Yes.

Coldin
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
So options to switch your playstyle due to circumstances isn't helpful to your class? Gotcha...

You can look at it that way. But the way I see it, working on this is focusing efforts away from other things that would be more of a help to rogues. If they can put a minimal amount of time into this, and not have it affect the average player who wouldn't turn off sneak attack damage, then fine. But I remember all too well when they implemented the toggle for Subtle Backstabbing, and you had to constantly turn it back on whenever you logged back into the game.

Besides, I rarely draw aggro away from a main tank with Subtle Backstabber on anyway. Especially if I'm using a specialty weapon like a puncturing, banishing, or vorpal sword.

Aspenor
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes.

Soon.

Yaga_Nub
04-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Soon.

How soon?

ChildrenofBodom
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
How soon?

Never.

oronisi
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Well, if he really wants to not do sneak attack damage he could roll a ranger. But really, I'm not against this as much as I'm against a half-hearted attempt to satisfy this request that would require every other rogue in the game that like their sneak-attacks to go out of their way to make sure it is on at all times. I know the devs say things like Subtle backstabbing have their setting remembered at all times, but I've had it and metamagics turn themselves off before without my consent. So really, I'd hate to have to burn a toolbar slot to make sure I had backstab on at all times.

But if the devs wanted to implement it properly so as to not inconvenience me and the other 99.9% of rogues that don't care to turn off sneak attack, I'm cool with it.

Depravity
04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Precision + subtle backstabbing IV drops you to what, 30% of the hate generating potential? I'd say they did include an off switch.

ChildrenofBodom
04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Precision + subtle backstabbing IV drops you to what, 30% of the hate generating potential? I'd say they did include an off switch.

Precision...? Not sure what that is...but...

You can get to a total of -60% hate, which rarely gets you aggro. If you do get aggro, you need better tanks.

Subtle backstabbing(-40%) + treason (-20%) = -60 hate

Aspenor
04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Precision...? Not sure what that is...

The feat that gives you +5 to-hit for half damage.

Depravity
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Precision...? Not sure what that is...but...

It's a feat - Turn it on, you get +4 to hit in exchange for half damage - That's half basic weapon and sneak damage, but not special attacks like stat or energy damage. My lvl 9 rogue uses it a lot with a holy light mace for zombies, where the holy effect is doing all the damage anyway.

*edit +5? I could swear it said +4 when i took it...*shrug*

And while we're at it, has your friend heard of a little skill called diplomacy? AKA the "he did it" button. Works wonders when things turn on you. Works on pretty much everything but vermin, animals, oozes, and mindless undead.

Borror0
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
*edit +5? I could swear it said +4 when i took it...*shrug*

It's +4.

Borror0
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, if he really wants to not do sneak attack damage he could roll a ranger.

You don't get it... you roll a rogue for sneak attacks... but sometimes, you want it off.

Kire
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Erm.. Two things:

Is this available in PnP?

Could you do this in real life?

You may see these as unimportant but they really are.

Important that is...

~Kire

oronisi
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
You don't get it... you roll a rogue for sneak attacks... but sometimes, you want it off.

No, I get it. I have a rogue and have never once thought 'Gee I wish I could turn sneak attacks off'...not in PnP, not in DDO, not in NWN, shall I go on? The ranger bit is a joke but only partially...if you really want a rogue that doesn't do sneak attack damage...don't roll a rogue. It's one of their premier abilities and I know I'm not the only one that has never wanted to turn mine off.

Hvymetal
04-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Erm.. Two things:

Is this available in PnP?

Could you do this in real life?

You may see these as unimportant but they really are.

Important that is...

~Kire

I am pretty sure you can, don't aim for a vital spot.

Borror0
04-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I am pretty sure you can, don't aim for a vital spot.

Exactly. From the SRD:

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.